PDA

View Full Version : Set pieces

macd123
01-08-2014, 06:53 PM
Do we have enough to compete this year at set pieces? From our potential first team I can only see 3 players with any aerial ability at all - hanlon, forster and el alagui. We all know conceding late from set pieces can be a real kick in the teeth. Rangers and hearts will be throwing 5 or 6 big guys up for corners. The way things are stubbs will be forced to play nelson or otj. Can anyone else in our squad compete in the air?

Unseen work
01-08-2014, 07:07 PM
I honestly think if Forster plays every week he could get about 8 goals. He's an animal in the air

Hibby_G
01-08-2014, 08:53 PM
Do we have enough to compete this year at set pieces? From our potential first team I can only see 3 players with any aerial ability at all - hanlon, forster and el alagui. We all know conceding late from set pieces can be a real kick in the teeth. Rangers and hearts will be throwing 5 or 6 big guys up for corners. The way things are stubbs will be forced to play nelson or otj. Can anyone else in our squad compete in the air?

well stanton can take free kicks:aok:

Hibby_G
01-08-2014, 08:57 PM
Who Do you think Will take Free Kicks for us This Season

P.S. I know There is A thread about Set peices But im about Free Kick Takers

Hibby_G
01-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Please comment who you think will free kicks and penalty's

Hibeesmad
01-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Liam Craig on everything if he's playing

Hibeesmad
01-08-2014, 09:03 PM
I think Gray has looked decent in the air for someone who's not really tall, Hanlon and Forster are both good in the air, El Alagui and maybe Robertson are others who I think would make an attempt to win a ball in the air, obviously OTJ and Nelson if they are playing too

Hibby_G
01-08-2014, 09:04 PM
Liam Craig on everything if he's playing

:agree:

Unseen work
01-08-2014, 09:09 PM
posted similar the other day

free kicks for me should be - stanton, guys like cummings, allan and craig will fancy their chances but for me all craigs efforts last year were poor
Penalties - Craig, very experienced and calm penalty taker and is very handy at them, after that cummings or el alagui

macd123
01-08-2014, 11:26 PM
posted similar the other day

free kicks for me should be - stanton, guys like cummings, allan and craig will fancy their chances but for me all craigs efforts last year were poor
Penalties - Craig, very experienced and calm penalty taker and is very handy at them, after that cummings or el alagui

Penalties - craig
Corners - harris, craig
Free kicks - stanton, allan

Boyle89
02-08-2014, 12:02 AM
I honestly think if Forster plays every week he could get about 8 goals. He's an animal in the air

He is a big lad and does get up well. Some of his headers last season were real thumping efforts. I honestly think he could do a job upfront but that's a different debate.

Ronniekirk
02-08-2014, 08:13 AM
He is a big lad and does get up well. Some of his headers last season were real thumping efforts. I honestly think he could do a job upfront but that's a different debate.
One of the few positive things T B did was get defenders scoring from set pieces .Agree Fosters efforts including disallowed goal against Hear7s were something special . I did see an article where he was mentioned last week as saying he needs to get the balance right between attacking and defence so hope he hasn't been told to stay back more as do see him as being crucial goal threat especially given we haven't scored in last three games

Hamish
02-08-2014, 08:42 AM
Going back to set pieces, can we train them to take a decent throw in:hmmm:

macd123
10-08-2014, 03:53 PM
We have a decent team but i think we could be in trouble at set pieces. Next Saturday hearts will likely throw 6 big guys up front and we will only have 3 to mark them.

SMAXXA
10-08-2014, 03:57 PM
We have a decent team but i think we could be in trouble at set pieces. Next Saturday hearts will likely throw 6 big guys up front and we will only have 3 to mark them.

Lol who's their 6 big guys like? Sow, Wilson, the other ch is all I can think of.

Tyler Durden
10-08-2014, 04:24 PM
Lol who's their 6 big guys like? Sow, Wilson, the other ch is all I can think of.

Come on, let's not let reality get in the way of reviving a pointless thread!

macd123
10-08-2014, 04:33 PM

Their back 4, sow and hassanoui (if fit)

The Leith Dutch
11-08-2014, 11:17 AM
Reckon set pieces are a major concern.
Could do with either someone who really owns that job or a variety of options through the team.

Last season Cairney was, for me, our best taker of corners.

Maybe I'm still suffering a Leigh Griffiths hangover but I'm not that enamoured with Craig's delivery either from free kicks or corners.
He tends to be very one dimensional and predictable and his delivery is a little too floaty to cause real problems.

Gray certainly looks like he can cross a ball so might be worth a try on the odd corner.

woodythehibee
11-08-2014, 11:23 AM
Their back 4, sow and hassanoui (if fit)

How do you know if he's any good in the air considering he hasn't played for them yet?

Gray, Forster, Hanlon El Alagui, Robertson and Craig for us.

Smartie
11-08-2014, 11:32 AM
I'm sure I remember Craig scoring a decent header from a corner against us for St.Johnstone.

If he's not taking them, maybe he could get on the end of them? Probably quite handy in his own box too.

macd123
11-08-2014, 02:08 PM
How do you know if he's any good in the air considering he hasn't played for them yet?

Gray, Forster, Hanlon El Alagui, Robertson and Craig for us.

You are right i don't know for sure but they signed him on that basis. I wouldn't include craig and robertson as they are probably similar to their defensive midfielders in terms of aerial ability.

I guess where i am coming from is watching years of us being the better side then conceding late from a corner. It has such a negative effect on the team.

Boyle89
11-08-2014, 10:01 PM
I'm sure I remember Craig scoring a decent header from a corner against us for St.Johnstone.

If he's not taking them, maybe he could get on the end of them? Probably quite handy in his own box too.

Last season I don't think I saw Craig win a single header. Hope he improves his timing if he's in the box. Think farid hanlon Robertson and Forster (who is the best in the air since jones) will be enough. Maybe Craig on the edge of the box for a Michael Stewart volley??? How good was that goal?!

The_Horde
11-08-2014, 10:04 PM
Last season I don't think I saw Craig win a single header. Hope he improves his timing if he's in the box. Think farid hanlon Robertson and Forster (who is the best in the air since jones) will be enough. Maybe Craig on the edge of the box for a Michael Stewart volley??? How good was that goal?!

I feel like you're being a bit gingerist! Why can't it be Stanton or Allen on the edge of the box? :greengrin

Boyle89
11-08-2014, 10:51 PM
;4125284']I feel like you're being a bit gingerist! Why can't it be Stanton or Allen on the edge of the box? :greengrin

But they have no souls ;).