PDA

View Full Version : what do we expect this season?

KeithTheHibby
01-08-2014, 12:21 PM
Champions? Runners up? Play off spots?

I know the club would never publicly state that they are preparing for more than one season in the championship however you need to look at the facts.

In any other season we would not be challenging Rangers and Hearts for the title.

We have a rookie manager who is untested at this level.

The appointment of George Craig and Stubb's backroom team suggests more of a long term plan rather than short term fix.

We have a new CEO who has done an excellent job at her previous club however taking over Hibs presents a totally new challenge and the difficulties are there to see.

We are apparently still paying the previous management team therefore cash is even tighter.

We have brought in very few players and are putting out the line ' quality over quantity' which may be case however will be squad be big enough to cope with injuries and suspensions?

Season ticket sales are well down.

Perhaps the club are looking towards the following season as they one they make a big push for. By then the huns and potentially their wee brothers will be promoted and replaced with inferior teams.

Personally I don't expect us to be challenging taking into account the above facts however I expect a play off place at the very least.
The following season promotion as champions.

Hibs don't gamble and I think splashing the cash this season taking into account my points above represents a gamble too far this club.

Thoughts.

we are hibs
01-08-2014, 12:24 PM

I know the club would never publicly state that they are preparing for more than one season in the championship however you need to look at the facts.

In any other season we would not be challenging Rangers and Hearts for the title.

The appointment of George Craig and Stubb's backroom team suggests more of a long term plan rather than short term fix.

We have a new CEO who has done an excellent job at her previous club however taking over Hibs presents a totally new challenge and the difficulties are there to see.

We are apparently still paying the previous management team therefore cash is even tighter.

We have brought in very few players and are putting out the line ' quality over quantity' which may be case however will be squad be big enough to cope with injuries and suspensions?

Perhaps the club are looking towards the following season as they one they make a big push for. By then the huns and potentially their wee brothers will be promoted and replaced with inferior teams.

Personally I don't expect us to be challenging taking into account the above facts however I expect a play off place at the very least.

Hibs don't gamble and I think splashing the cash this season taking into account my points above represents a gamble too far this club.

Thoughts.

We should be expecting to win this league, if not then going up via the play offs. Anything less is unacceptable and should be deemed as a failure.

Ozyhibby
01-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Get 3 good players in and I think we can win the league. Anything else and we take our chances in the play off.

TheFamous1875
01-08-2014, 12:26 PM
I expect us to realistically end up as playoff contenders vying for 2nd place with Hearts, I hope we're challenging for the championship, and I'd like us to win it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My_Wife_Camille
01-08-2014, 12:40 PM
Any any other season Hearts wouldn't be challenging Rangers or Hibs.

Hearts have a Rookie manager who is untested at this level

The appointment of Craig Levein suggests a long term plan rather than short term fix

Hearts have a new CEO who has never ran a football club before

Hears are still paying last seasons football debts therefor cash is tighter

They have only signed unknown foreigners or SPL has beens

I don't expect Hearts to be challenging given the above facts

Keith_M
01-08-2014, 12:42 PM
Leeann Dempster has already said the target is to win the league.

Irrespective of anyone's views on our ability to do that, it really has to be what we aim for.

Michael
01-08-2014, 12:44 PM
I think we'll be challenging for a playoff position.

Diclonius
01-08-2014, 12:45 PM
I reckon we'll finish 3rd. We can win the league if we get in a few more quality players and get off to a good start*.

*beat Rangers and Hearts

Torto7062
01-08-2014, 12:46 PM
Any any other season Hearts wouldn't be challenging Rangers or Hibs.

Hearts have a Rookie manager who is untested at this level

The appointment of Craig Levein suggests a long term plan rather than short term fix

Hearts have a new CEO who has never ran a football club before

Hears are still paying last seasons football debts therefor cash is tighter

They have only signed unknown foreigners or SPL has beens

I don't expect Hearts to be challenging given the above facts

Aye but mind they puddle drinking yam twats are the
Big team so they will win everything

My arse they will

Stubbsy's GreenAndWhite Army

S4uzee
01-08-2014, 12:49 PM
A lack of goal threat, defeat to hearts 2nd game after a gutless performance then sign very poor players in last minute loan deals

blackpoolhibs
01-08-2014, 12:52 PM
Realistically we are fighting for a play off place, i'm far from convinced we have a team that could win a play off game against anyone in the SPFL.

Phil MaGlass
01-08-2014, 12:56 PM
I see us close to first and definitely a clear second, I think The Rangers will go in to another administration that will see us clear first, and us and the yams will go up, hertz after finishing 4th.

and if yi kin understand that then yir a better man than me...

Don Giovanni
01-08-2014, 01:00 PM

Irrespective of anyone's views on our ability to do that, it really has to be what we aim for.

Sadly, I don't think our actions to date match that kind of talk.

I also don't think it's any coincidence that our permanent signings are all on 2 year deals.

bobbyhibs1983
01-08-2014, 01:21 PM
We should be expecting to win this league, if not then going up via the play offs. Anything less is unacceptable and should be deemed as a failure.

:thumbsup: spot on imo

We should have a strong mentality which sadly HAS been lacking for a few years, we are either gonna turn up and be winners or we will turn up and TRY to be winners,

I do not think theres much middle ground, well i guess there is but I d rather we did not consider middle ground , as i figure thats the easy route and should not be an option for us.

edinburghhibee
01-08-2014, 01:53 PM
I expect us to finish no lower than 2nd, I think we can finish 1st however I don't believe that we can rely on Harris every week to create goal scoring opportunities for FEA we need another winger who has pace and will get to the bye line. Other than the winger I think we have as good a squad as anyone else in the division

BOB MARLEYS DUG
01-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Promotion via winning the league or finishing second and winning the play offs. Anything below that is failure, IMO.

hibbyfaelibby
01-08-2014, 01:58 PM
I anticipate promotion, by whatever route matters not a jot.

bigwheel
01-08-2014, 02:00 PM
I think we are a bit behind the other 2 favourites just now ..so we will have a few ups and downs in the early weeks - I do expect us to be top 4 ..I actually think all teams will be capable of taking points of the others too - so it won't be a case of any team running away with the title ...it could well be a year where performance in the second half of the league determines who wins...

Keith_M
01-08-2014, 02:20 PM
Sadly, I don't think our actions to date match that kind of talk.

I also don't think it's any coincidence that our permanent signings are all on 2 year deals.

At the moment, I have to agree. I'm hopeful we make more signings, whether permanent or loan, but we don't yet have a good enough squad for promotion.

Hibs90
01-08-2014, 02:23 PM
Top 3 minimum

emerald green
01-08-2014, 02:33 PM
I think Hibs supporters need to be realistic regarding the club being promoted in one season. It's just to early too say. The season hasn't even started and we don't know the full make up of the playing squad yet.

A lot will depend on how good any further signings are, but I don't like the sound of it being only loan signings from Everton's reserves (if that's what transpires). If we do sign maybe three really good players, and very importantly, can avoid serious injuries, then we have a excellent chance of coming up.

We shouldn't be too scared of the Yams IMO. It's the Rangers who will outspend everyone, and pay bigger wages, to get themselves promoted at any cost. Hibs will not / cannot do that.

NAE NOOKIE
01-08-2014, 02:59 PM
I fully expect the SPFL to expand the Premiership to a minimum of 14 teams for next season before we get past April if it looks like the current buns aint gonna win the league.

As for Hibs ............. anything less than a play off place is a disaster, our aim however has to be to win the league.

HIBEETILLIDIE
01-08-2014, 03:35 PM
Sign Leigh Griffiths on a season long loan and we will win the league, (and double season ticket sales) stay as we are, we will struggle to get fourth!

Steve20
01-08-2014, 03:40 PM
Lose in the playoffs

Emerald
01-08-2014, 03:43 PM
I fully expect the SPFL to expand the Premiership to a minimum of 14 teams for next season before we get past April if it looks like the current buns aint gonna win the league.

As for Hibs ............. anything less than a play off place is a disaster, our aim however has to be to win the league.
That's not a bad shout. There is every chance that the team who plays off against the Premiership side could lose out. If that happens then at least 2 out of Hibs, Hearts and Rangers would again be missing from the top division. I honestly can't see them letting it happen.

Col2
01-08-2014, 03:48 PM
All depends on future activity in transfer market.

CURRENT transfer activity represents a club that is aiming for a top 3/4 finish and hoping for a 2nd place finish but has realistically given up on winning league.

Hopefully that will change over next few weeks.

yankyhibby
01-08-2014, 03:56 PM
These type of threads are interesting but really have to be taken with a pinch of salt, as none of us can predict outcomes. The first round of games will inform us of where we stand and what we are up against. For what it's worth, I hope and expect to see a serious promotion push.

Fergus52
01-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Get 3 good players in and I think we can win the league. Anything else and we take our chances in the play off.

:agree:

heretoday
01-08-2014, 05:44 PM
I will be pleasantly surprised if we make the playoff and dumbstruck if we win the thing.

A bit of a cup run might be a possibility.

MrSmith
01-08-2014, 05:44 PM
Sign Leigh Griffiths on a season long loan and we will win the league, (and double season ticket sales) stay as we are, we will struggle to get fourth!

that would be my ideal solution!

GoldenEagle
01-08-2014, 05:51 PM

Thoughts.

Quick Q Keith.. Did you buy a ST or is it a gamble for this year and you'll wait to see if we've a better chance next season?

Don Giovanni
01-08-2014, 07:25 PM
All depends on future activity in transfer market.

CURRENT transfer activity represents a club that is aiming for a top 3/4 finish and hoping for a 2nd place finish but has realistically given up on winning league.

Hopefully that will change over next few weeks.

:agree:

It seems likely that we will bring in a couple of youngsters from Everton on loan - which may or may not be good but probably isn't enough in itself.

Another 3 quality additions, plus a couple of Everton kids and I'll start to believe that we are serious about challenging for the title.

Won't hold my breath for that happening though...

DH1875
01-08-2014, 07:42 PM
Rookie manager. IF we're gonna make that an excuse for not making the playoffs then he shouldnt have been given the job. Playoffs are a minimum with us at least pushing for first and second.

Gordy M
01-08-2014, 07:51 PM
I dont think championship is of a great standard, and i expect us to be top two, along with the rangers. I really dont think hearts are good, their signings are average at best. The other teams will prob take points of the 'bigger' teams every now and again but i think we will be top 2. Whether we can finish above the rangers im not so sure. Their problem is fat sally, as he is an awful manager.

jacomo
01-08-2014, 07:56 PM

:agree: Mon the Hibs. This could be an even greater adventure.

cmcd
01-08-2014, 08:34 PM
These type of threads are interesting but really have to be taken with a pinch of salt, as none of us can predict outcomes. The first round of games will inform us of where we stand and what we are up against. For what it's worth, I hope and expect to see a serious promotion push.
Agree with this post Just dont understand all negative posts

coldingham hibs
01-08-2014, 08:36 PM
I have only seen us play in the home game against Utd and to be honest I thought we looked pretty average for most of the game, I expected a bit more going forward. After hearing the East Fife score that concerned me.

I felt at the end of last season we would finish 4th or 5th, from what I have seen, heard and the signings we have made I still anticipate being in this position.

IMO, and I hope I am wrong, Rangers & Hearts will go up.

Ronniekirk
01-08-2014, 08:40 PM

L D had to set that as target as fans wouldn't of expected anything less and she is a determined self motivated woman who will want to achieve that .Whether given our circumstances she can Deliver on that remains to be seen . Until we have played a few games and finished doing business in transfer market I will keep an open mind .By then we will also see how our competitors are shaping up .

Gordy M
01-08-2014, 08:46 PM
I have only seen us play in the home game against Utd and to be honest I thought we looked pretty average for most of the game, I expected a bit more going forward. After hearing the East Fife score that concerned me.

I felt at the end of last season we would finish 4th or 5th, from what I have seen, heard and the signings we have made I still anticipate being in this position.

What teams do you think will finish above us, and why so you think hearts will finish 1st or 2nd?

Unseen work
01-08-2014, 08:49 PM
The aim? To go into every game with the mindset to take 3 points. I think we will win it or come a close second.

I have alot of faith in stubbs and think he will know exactly what is required and when and will get the most out the players. There also seems a real togetherness about the squad now and they are enjoying there time.

if we got to the play off final - i would have every bit of confidence in us beating whoever it is, mainly because i still think we have a better squad than alot of the spl teams we just had a clueless manager

coldingham hibs
01-08-2014, 09:10 PM
What teams do you think will finish above us, and why so you think hearts will finish 1st or 2nd?

Rangers, Hearts, Falkirk & Livingston.

Hearts have a motivated Squad who feel they have been hard done by, they have posititive vibes coming from within the club & a support who will get right behind them to prove a point. Never mind the fact that they have a psychological hoodoo on us.

We have a poor support, a team full of players who sent us down, splits between club & support (Petrie, ticket prices & lack of signings).

We still have players playing who most supporters wanted out, Nelson & OTJ spring to mind.

Hibeesmad
01-08-2014, 09:14 PM
If we beat the likes of Queen of the south, Dumbarton, Cowdenbeath, Raith etc and then beat Falkirk, Hearts and Rangers at least twice I think we will definitely finish at least 2nd

cmcd
01-08-2014, 09:15 PM

Hearts have a motivated Squad who feel they have been hard done by, they have posititive vibes coming from within the club & a support who will get right behind them to prove a point. Never mind the fact that they have a psychological hoodoo on us.

We have a poor support, a team full of players who sent us down, splits between club & support (Petrie, ticket prices & lack of signings).

We still have players playing who most supporters wanted out, Nelson & OTJ spring to mind.
you must have watched the Dundee Utd game with your eyes closed if you think that team was as bad as last season

EdinMike
01-08-2014, 09:16 PM
In all honesty... 4th, Rankers - Yams - Falkirk - Us

Get ready for it.. Glass half hempty and all that..

Hibby 2005
01-08-2014, 09:20 PM
At the moment top 6.

eastterrace
01-08-2014, 09:20 PM

rangers will win the league in a cantor, us and that mob over the road will make the play offs but will both fail to go up. the following season we will then win the league and that mob will have to try there luck in the play offs again.

coldingham hibs
01-08-2014, 09:26 PM
you must have watched the Dundee Utd game with your eyes closed if you think that team was as bad as last season

On the after match thread I posted that I thought the team was more Pat Fenlon than Tony Mowbray. That is a lot of passing but very little creativity. No team is as bad as Butchers.

I haven't seen or heard anything to suggest that we are better than other Championship teams.

Making a couple of impact signings may have changed my opinion but that hasn't happened.

Gordy M
01-08-2014, 09:41 PM

Fair enough, can i ask how much of the championship you have seen? I saw quite a lot of falkirk, my gf dad is a season ticket holder, and i saw them a few times. The standard is quite a bit below the premiership. Ok in a one off game teams can compete, but no way will falkirk and livi finish above us. And imho hearts are poorer than the team that finished bottom last year and only won a few games when they were relegated. Who in the hearts livi or falkirk teams would you have in our first eleven?

All in my opinion of course, lets just see.

ackeygraham
01-08-2014, 09:55 PM
Man the season hasn't kicked off yet, maybe ask this question after next week when we will have played a cup and league game. Pre season is exactly what it is, pre season. We have made I think good signings, and hopeful of more decent additions before window closes.

sidjames
01-08-2014, 10:05 PM
Scotland wants the new rangers first, yamco second and anybody else bar hibs in the play offs. Only hibs fans want us back up before them. If you haven't bought a season please rethink now. Your club needs you. Yuck the fams.

MGmick
01-08-2014, 10:42 PM
Far call:wink:

HappyHibby93
01-08-2014, 10:42 PM
In truth I would expect us to be in the play offs. But, it would be nice to see us give the rangers a run for there money

ekhibee
01-08-2014, 11:04 PM
I think Hibs supporters need to be realistic regarding the club being promoted in one season. It's just to early too say. The season hasn't even started and we don't know the full make up of the playing squad yet.

A lot will depend on how good any further signings are, but I don't like the sound of it being only loan signings from Everton's reserves (if that's what transpires). If we do sign maybe three really good players, and very importantly, can avoid serious injuries, then we have a excellent chance of coming up.

We shouldn't be too scared of the Yams IMO. It's the Rangers who will outspend everyone, and pay bigger wages, to get themselves promoted at any cost. Hibs will not / cannot do that.
Totally agree. IMO our squad at the moment is nowhere near strong enough, and if we could get, as you say, 3 good players in, and go through the season without many injury problems then we've got a fighting chance. I suppose some other poster will come along and ask me where the money is for signing these players, and I honestly don't know, but in my opinion we really do need them. As I've already mentioned in another thread it'll be a long, long time before I trust the players leftover from last season's bunch of losers, it's up to them to prove people like me wrong.

NOLA
01-08-2014, 11:44 PM
play offs

Forza Fred
01-08-2014, 11:53 PM
Realistically we are fighting for a play off place, i'm far from convinced we have a team that could win a play off game against anyone in the SPFL.

:top marks

HH81
02-08-2014, 06:40 AM
3rd. We have lacked enough players in to say we would finish any higher.

Ronniekirk
02-08-2014, 07:18 AM
I think we are a bit behind the other 2 favourites just now ..so we will have a few ups and downs in the early weeks - I do expect us to be top 4 ..I actually think all teams will be capable of taking points of the others too - so it won't be a case of any team running away with the title ...it could well be a year where performance in the second half of the league determines who wins...
if you are right and it turns out to be a year where second second half of the season results determine who wins we will need to avoid our post Christmas slump :confused::wink:

Ronniekirk
02-08-2014, 07:31 AM
Totally agree. IMO our squad at the moment is nowhere near strong enough, and if we could get, as you say, 3 good players in, and go through the season without many injury problems then we've got a fighting chance. I suppose some other poster will come along and ask me where the money is for signing these players, and I honestly don't know, but in my opinion we really do need them. As I've already mentioned in another thread it'll be a long, long time before I trust the players leftover from last season's bunch of losers, it's up to them to prove people like me wrong.
On the injury front Cummings is already out ,and after games against rangers and hearts early doors we could well be another couple down which is why your point about brining in another three good players is crucial The problem with young players on loan is that if they are rated by the parent club and they pick up a knock they don't get risked ,hence Watmore never got a decent run of games last season and the Falkirk's and queen of the South s know how to play and battle in this league

PeeJay
02-08-2014, 12:17 PM
The people in charge of the club failed miserably to take advantage of the situation in the SPFL and allowed us to be relegated instead! Despite Hearts already being relegated and the former RFC posted missing. Relegation is a sign (for me) that the club is in free fall. I expect no more than a mid table position, any talk of winning the league seems nonsense to me, and being in front of Hearts is something I wouldn't put any money on. A play-off spot may well be the most we can hope for ... is our current team as good as the Hamilton team was? Probably not.

Haven't seen any games this season yet, but apparently the mugs that relegated us last season who are still here and who couldn't pass a ball to a team mate 3 yards away, have now suddenly found out how to do it - unfortunately, it means very little as we still cannot score goals even at a lower level. How we can win games, amass points - particularly when the going gets tough is beyond me. I've seen no changes in personnel that make me think our management is aiming for a quick return to the SPFL.

Still at least the new website looks good ...

cmcd
02-08-2014, 12:35 PM
The people in charge of the club failed miserably to take advantage of the situation in the SPFL and allowed us to be relegated instead! Despite Hearts already being relegated and the former RFC posted missing. Relegation is a sign (for me) that the club is in free fall. I expect no more than a mid table position, any talk of winning the league seems nonsense to me, and being in front of Hearts is something I wouldn't put any money on. A play-off spot may well be the most we can hope for ... is our current team as good as the Hamilton team was? Probably not.

Haven't seen any games this season yet, but apparently the mugs that relegated us last season who are still here and who couldn't pass a ball to a team mate 3 yards away, have now suddenly found out how to do it - unfortunately, it means very little as we still cannot score goals even at a lower level. How we can win games, amass points - particularly when the going gets tough is beyond me. I've seen no changes in personnel that make me think our management is aiming for a quick return to the SPFL.

dont think you should be commenting on this subject if you havn`t seen AS team play For the life of me i cant understand all these negative posts before the season has even started Lets just get behind the manager (who is very positive) and the players

Flanny boy
02-08-2014, 01:02 PM
dont think you should be commenting on this subject if you havn`t seen AS team play For the life of me i cant understand all these negative posts before the season has even started Lets just get behind the manager (who is very positive) and the players
Spot on.lets get right behind the team
And manager from the first whistle :agree:

eastterrace
02-08-2014, 01:33 PM

if you have not seen hibs this season then how can you comment. but i do agree that a play off spot is the best we will get.

PeeJay
02-08-2014, 01:35 PM

DG asked for opinions, I gave mine, you don't like it ... the OP didn't ask for positive opinions only - enjoy the season,maybe the AS team will prove me wrong ...

PeeJay
02-08-2014, 01:36 PM
if you have not seen hibs this season then how can you comment. but i do agree that a play off spot is the best we will get.

A club that fails to score goals against lower division opposition - I can have an opinion on that, I think, thought it was a fair point myself...

eastterrace
02-08-2014, 01:40 PM
A club that fails to score goals against lower division opposition - I can have an opinion on that, I think, thought it was a fair point myself...

yes you have an opinion but if you aint seen them play how do you know how the games went. we might have been all over the opposition but no luck in front of goal ( i know its just a thought ). but like i said i do agree with you on the play off spot.

LordBamba
02-08-2014, 01:42 PM
If we use pre season as a guideline to how the season will finish then I guess man city will be mid table at best.. They lost to Dundee and barely beat hearts. Personally I'm feeling quite optimistic- surely it can't be as bad as last season!

down-the-slope
02-08-2014, 01:49 PM

Having not seen games you obviously also missed the 10 goals scored against lower opposition :rolleyes:

southern hibby
02-08-2014, 01:50 PM
Squad isn't big enough. 3 games pre season ( 2 against lower opposition ) with no goals scored. As soon as injuries and suspensions kick I'n were goosed.

However we are playing good football. We have a manager who has changed the formation during a game. This alone tells me we can do well if we get 3/4 players I'n.

One problem we will encounter is The newest team I'n Scotland will spend heavily I'n Jan if it's not going their way or the league is close.

Think we will get to Jan ourselves then see where we are I'n terms of playing and position. If the board thinks there's a chance we could win the league we might just see one or two very decent signings to enhance our chances.

GGTTH.

PeeJay
02-08-2014, 01:57 PM
Having not seen games you obviously also missed the 10 goals scored against lower opposition :rolleyes:

Well sure - we can all move the goal posts along in any old way we chose to. Seems to me the higher the level of lower opposition, the fewer goals (as in 0) we score - maybe the team is saving them all for Tuesday though - a sort of "lulling them into a false sense of security" strategy?

Forza Fred
02-08-2014, 11:46 PM

Perhaps PJ IS behind the manager but has been around long enough not to simply put blind faith in everybody.

The fact that we could not score against the likes of East a Fife, does not necessarily endear unbridled optimism.

I'm not optimistic, but nevertheless will be hoping and keeping all sorts of body parts crossed that we do the business.

PeeJay
03-08-2014, 08:21 AM
Perhaps PJ IS behind the manager but has been around long enough not to simply put blind faith in everybody.

The fact that we could not score against the likes of East a Fife, does not necessarily endear unbridled optimism.

I'm not optimistic, but nevertheless will be hoping and keeping all sorts of body parts crossed that we do the business.

... thanks for reminding me! :greengrin Naturally I hope Hibs do well, but the OP was about expectations and my blind faith was used up a long time ago ... Tuesday will provides us with some indications of where we really are. Must admit though, after the disaster of last season, it is going to take a lot to impress me, even slightly ...

Hibby70
03-08-2014, 08:46 AM
I actually think we have best starting 11 of any of the teams. If Stubbs can get them playing I think we'll win the league.

neil7908
03-08-2014, 08:52 AM
A lot depends on how good a manager Stubbs is. I think the squad still lacks a bit of quality and also strength in depth. As it stands it's the rangers to win the league by a fair distance and ourselves and hearts fighting for 2nd.

I would be concerned about us going into this season without further reinforcements. Keep the squad as it stands and I can see us spending another year in this division. Another 3-4 players and I think we'll have a great chance.

green day
03-08-2014, 08:59 AM
I actually think we have best starting 11 of any of the teams. If Stubbs can get them playing I think we'll win the league.

Definitely not having a pop at you, but - sadly - this is exactly what some of us said a year ago. I remember a lot of "outside Celtic our team looks great" type chat !!!

Me? I will wait, hope........but not expect.

Sorry if that's negative, but this time the fans need the team to turn up.

SunshineOnLeith
03-08-2014, 09:07 AM
The inferiority complex on here is depressing.

Forza Fred
03-08-2014, 09:17 AM
The inferiority complex on here is depressing.

One man's inferior complex is another man's realistic appraisal of a situation

Everybody wants us to do well, some, like me are a touch unsure that we will be world beaters with the current resources.

As others have pointed out, our view could change immediately with news of further signings

Glass half empty at the moment though I'm afraid

SunshineOnLeith
03-08-2014, 09:24 AM
One man's inferior complex is another man's realistic appraisal of a situation

Everybody wants us to do well, some, like me are a touch unsure that we will be world beaters with the current resources.

As others have pointed out, our view could change immediately with news of further signings

Glass half empty at the moment though I'm afraid

You really think predictions of finishing outside of the top 3 are realistic? I've said it before, people parroting that line know nothing about Falkirk or whoever's teams and are just predicting the worst so that they'll have the comfort blanket of coming on here and saying I told you so if it all goes tits up again.

I think we'll either win the league or finish second, depending on whether The Rangers turn up.

Gordy M
03-08-2014, 09:31 AM
You really think predictions of finishing outside of the top 3 are realistic? I've said it before, people parroting that line know nothing about Falkirk or whoever's teams and are just predicting the worst so that they'll have the comfort blanket of coming on here and saying I told you so if it all goes tits up again.

I think we'll either win the league or finish second, depending on whether The Rangers turn up.
100% mate. Ive heard a few times about falkirk livi qos and even the **** finishing above us, however when pushed on what players would get into the hibs team, there are very few suggestions. Yes the team need to encourage the support but we need to have a confidence/arrogance about us going into the new season.

Forza Fred
03-08-2014, 09:33 AM

I do think it is possible that we could finish outside the top 3 yes.

I do not think we have a God given right to say we won't, especially after not only our performances against Hamilton, but we proved we could also lose to Raith a Rovers at home.

I also remember we just beat Falkirk in the cup.

Yes, circumstances are a wee bit different, but the majority of players we have were here last season, and if we suffer a couple of injuries, then with our smallish squad I think we could drop enough points to be in the position where we are scrambling to finish in the top four.

I would be a lot happier if we had another 3 or 4 newcomers

blackpoolhibs
03-08-2014, 09:36 AM
I was hoping we'd have brought in much more quality by now, perhaps we may get some loans in before the window closes.

This being the case, my original prediction of a top 4 finish stands, but i'm still far from convinced we could win a play off tie against any SPFL club if we managed to get that far?

Although there is another window in January, and you never know what could happen then.

Davy Mac
03-08-2014, 09:52 AM
Don't know about anyone else but I'm still hurting from last seasons shambles.

Part of me wants the existing players to repair the damage they contributed to and part of me never wants them to wear the shirt again.

I dunno, my laddies have attended all the pre-season games and I was at ER for the Utd game and we still look like a team without a leader.

We need a marquee signing and fast, somebody to lead this team, someone who will roll their sleeves and coax some of our talented laddies (Stanton, Harris, Cummings) through a season that WILL be a roller coaster.

McFadden? Would help but not the answer - there must be an old experienced centre back pro in his twilight that Stubbs played with or knows who would be that leader.

Get that friggin cheque book out and quick, if not mid table at best and heads will roll.......again

neil7908
03-08-2014, 10:36 AM
100% mate. Ive heard a few times about falkirk livi qos and even the **** finishing above us, however when pushed on what players would get into the hibs team, there are very few suggestions. Yes the team need to encourage the support but we need to have a confidence/arrogance about us going into the new season.

I get what your saying and I'm confident we'll finish 2nd or 3rd this year but I think that we shouldn't write off some of the teams you have mentioned. I'm slightly concerned folk on here think we're going to go out and thump everyone except the rangers and hearts. to be honest I couldn't tell you which players from the likes of Falkirk, Livingston etc would get into our side but that's simply because I don't watch those teams enough to make that call, not necessarily because their players are rubbish.

I wonder if we'd compared our squad with Hamiltons a few weeks before the play off if many on here would have swapped squads? Didn't matter in the end though.

After the horrors of last season I think it's only understandable that given we have a new, untested manager and a very similar squad, caution is common place.

Forza Fred
03-08-2014, 10:39 AM
I get what your saying and I'm confident we'll finish 2nd or 3rd this year but I think that we shouldn't write off some of the teams you have mentioned. I'm slightly concerned folk on here think we're going to go out and thump everyone except the rangers and hearts. to be honest I couldn't tell you which players from the likes of Falkirk, Livingston etc would get into our side but that's simply because I don't watch those teams enough to make that call, not necessarily because their players are rubbish.

I wonder if we'd compared our squad with Hamiltons a few weeks before the play off if many on here would have swapped squads? Didn't matter in the end though.

After the horrors of last season I think it's only understandable that given we have a new, untested manager and a very similar squad, caution is common place.

Yep.

We've been burned in the past.

Hence the cautious approach

Gordy M
03-08-2014, 10:45 AM

I agree with a lot of what you have said but i was replying to posters who have said we will finish below these teams. I dont think we will, however i dont think anyone has suggested that we would thump all the other teams. I think we would all agree that butcher was not a good manager, and we still managed to hamilton at their patch 2-0. The 2nd best team in that league. Anything can happen in one off games but I think with a better manager we will beat these types of teams on a regular basis, i genuinely think we have better players.

Forza Fred
03-08-2014, 10:52 AM
I agree with a lot of what you have said but i was replying to posters who have said we will finish below these teams. I dont think we will, however i dont think anyone has suggested that we would thump all the other teams. I think we would all agree that butcher was not a good manager, and we still managed to hamilton at their patch 2-0. The 2nd best team in that league. Anything can happen in one off games but I think with a better manager we will beat these types of teams on a regular basis, i genuinely think we have better players.

And that is a perfectly reasonable point of view.

Hope you are proven right.

Gordy M
03-08-2014, 10:54 AM
And that is a perfectly reasonable point of view.

Hope you are proven right.
I hope so too mate!! Its hard being positive these days but i think we will do well this year.....fingers crossed!

neil7908
03-08-2014, 11:27 AM

Fair play, agree with all that! Would just feel a little more confident if we could add even 2-3 more quality signings. Still time though!

lobster
03-08-2014, 11:41 AM
Not some much expect but would love to see us getting on the ball, playing the width of the park with some some style resulting in a play-off place at least. For too long Hibs haven't been Hibs IMO.

Eyrie
03-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Every team in this league, including the likes of Cowdenbeath, is capable of taking points off us but equally can do the same to the Yams and even Sevco Huns.

However the games against Falkirk, Raith and the Hamilton home leg were one-off games and don't reflect a full season. The likes of Falkirk, QotS and Raith will drop more points than we do over the course of the year so at the end I expect us to comfortably finish in the top four and win promotion.

portyhibernian
03-08-2014, 02:28 PM
Right now we have a squad which will complete for the playoffs. I think 2 more quality signings will see us comfortably there by the end of the season. I don't think we'll win the league unfortunately.

Keith_M
03-08-2014, 02:31 PM
We're Hibs fans so....

A lot of trying to 'look on the bright side'

Walter
03-08-2014, 03:21 PM
I always start every new season with renewed optimism, but this season we look so fragile it's almost as if the league has been underestimated or we are in real financial problems preventing us strengthening.

First time in my life as a Hibby I'm expecting a poor depressing and frustrating season

NadeAteMyLunch!
03-08-2014, 04:28 PM
St Johnstone 0-4 Hearts this afternoon.

We NEED more firepower or we are going to struggle this season. Hearts seem to be scoring and the Rangers will as well with Boyd and Miller

grunt
03-08-2014, 04:34 PM

I saw this on Twitter, and they played a completely different team in the second half, two goals in each half. That's good against premiership side.

DaveF
03-08-2014, 04:38 PM
I saw this on Twitter, and they played a completely different team in the second half, two goals in each half. That's good against premiership side.

Indeed, very impressive result.

HappyAsHellas
03-08-2014, 04:42 PM
It was a testimonial game with most of saints regulars being rested for their midweek tie. We look far superior already as opposed to last season, which I know isn't hard, but that's where we're at. I think there are still a few new faces to come in, so I'm quietly confident that we will do well this season.

Speedway
03-08-2014, 06:49 PM
Top 6 almost certainly.

cmcd
03-08-2014, 07:02 PM
I would rather we missed chances in pre season Have yet to play our strongest team Lets just wait and see

Crazyhorse
03-08-2014, 08:12 PM
I always start every new season with renewed optimism, but this season we look so fragile it's almost as if the league has been underestimated or we are in real financial problems preventing us strengthening.

First time in my life as a Hibby I'm expecting a poor depressing and frustrating season

Me too. Satisfactory start follow by a decline after two or three injuries kick in. This is the weakest squad I can remember at Hibs

Sir David Gray
03-08-2014, 09:39 PM

We NEED more firepower or we are going to struggle this season. Hearts seem to be scoring and the Rangers will as well with Boyd and Miller

I think St Johnstone might have had their thoughts on other things this afternoon, considering they're playing the second leg of their European tie in a few days' time.

They also had two trialists playing today and only started with two players who started their European game on Thursday night.

And Stevie May's just back from injury as well and he only played the first half.

NadeAteMyLunch!
03-08-2014, 09:50 PM
I think St Johnstone might have had their thoughts on other things this afternoon, considering they're playing the second leg of their European tie in a few days' time.

They also had two trialists playing today and only started with two players who started their European game on Thursday night.

And Stevie May's just back from injury as well and he only played the first half.

All valid points. However, Hearts still managed to put 4 goals past them whilst playing two entirely different teams in each half. Meanwhile, we've drawn blanks against Dunfermline and East Fife. I'd wager that even a second string St Johnstone side would fancy their chances against the likes of East Fife. We need another striker in, of that there is no doubt IMO

Septimus
04-08-2014, 07:55 AM
Have given up hoping for too much.

What I want, however, is to see a team that actually looks as though the players actually CARE what the outcome of each game is. For too long, especially against the Jams, we have looked beaten before we even got on to the park. Why is completely beyond my understanding.

Can anybody actually say what they would consider a good signing to be?

GreenCastle
04-08-2014, 11:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSPUJ_1BYv0&feature=youtu.be

The yams goals against St J.

St J looked terrible but the yams moving the ball around well and looks like their new signings have settled in well...

Going to be an interesting first few weeks of the new season.

Deansy
04-08-2014, 12:23 PM
Hate to say this but, sadly, I expect even more unrest between the fans and the club. We've just been relegated thanks to years of neglect on the footballing-side at ER, okay, we've had a clear-out but all that means is we're now going into the season with a vastly reduced squad and only THREE additions !!. Hardly the sign of a club determined to make amends and get back where it belongs at the first attempt !

3 new players ?? - becoming more and more evident RP still calls the shots.

Jones28
04-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Would promotion be asking too much?

JimBHibees
04-08-2014, 12:30 PM
Hate to say this but, sadly, I expect even more unrest between the fans and the club. We've just been relegated thanks to years of neglect on the footballing-side at ER, okay, we've had a clear-out but all that means is we're now going into the season with a vastly reduced squad and only THREE additions !!. Hardly the sign of a club determined to make amends and get back where it belongs at the first attempt !

Or the new manager is taking his time and rightly so to get the right players in. The Petrie fixation is a complete distraction at the moment we really do need to concentrate on supporting the team as well as possible.

Keith_M
04-08-2014, 12:36 PM

Isn't it four?

Norrieg
04-08-2014, 12:45 PM
Have given up hoping for too much.

What I want, however, is to see a team that actually looks as though the players actually CARE what the outcome of each game is. For too long, especially against the Jams, we have looked beaten before we even got on to the park. Why is completely beyond my understanding.

Can anybody actually say what they would consider a good signing to be?

Correct ! How about a bit of fire and bite mixed with passion and some intelligent play and backing and helping each other. No hiding on the park after passing, thinking you've done your bit. Oops !!! Sorry !!! This is Hibs we're talking about. I had a dream last night though.

Hibs7
04-08-2014, 02:13 PM
I don't expect much as there has not been enough done on the playing side, hearts have signed 8 players and they are supposed to be in worse financial situation than us ...it doesn't seem that way, they seem to be going all out to get promotion at the first attempt, while we plod along as usual. Don't know where the goals are going to come from !!

bobbyhibs1983
04-08-2014, 02:34 PM
This is Hibs we're talking about. I had a dream last night though.

come on dont leave us in suspense!:greengrin

Just hope it was a dream and NOT a nightmare:na na:

Nevi_SOL
04-08-2014, 05:00 PM
I'd be happy with 4th asking as we won the play offs.

I think 1st place is the only acceptable aim for the management and squad. All teams in this league are Definitely beatable.

Norrieg
04-08-2014, 05:19 PM
come on dont leave us in suspense!:greengrin

Just hope it was a dream and NOT a nightmare:na na:

Dreamt that Petrie resigned, Griffiths re-signed, KT came back, O.T.Jones and Nelson left, then I woke up.:aok:

Kato
04-08-2014, 05:21 PM
becoming more and more evident RP still calls the shots.

Where's your evidence of it being evident?

bobbyhibs1983
04-08-2014, 09:04 PM
Dreamt that Petrie resigned, Griffiths re-signed, KT came back, O.T.Jones and Nelson left, then I woke up.:aok:

sounds good,
I've always liked kt turnstall, shes my number 2 after lily(allen) cooper:devil:

Sir David Gray
04-08-2014, 09:13 PM
All valid points. However, Hearts still managed to put 4 goals past them whilst playing two entirely different teams in each half. Meanwhile, we've drawn blanks against Dunfermline and East Fife. I'd wager that even a second string St Johnstone side would fancy their chances against the likes of East Fife. We need another striker in, of that there is no doubt IMO

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that, my post was more to do with playing down the fact that Hearts had won 4-0 yesterday against a team made up of trialists and St Johnstone reserve players.

Ronniekirk
04-08-2014, 09:33 PM
We're Hibs fans so....

A lot of trying to 'look on the bright side'

Another signing before Livi game :pray::deal: .

Brightside
05-08-2014, 02:30 PM
I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that, my post was more to do with playing down the fact that Hearts had won 4-0 yesterday against a team made up of trialists and St Johnstone reserve players.
And they were beaten by Cowdenbeath last night with the same players. It continues to puzzle me why our fans rate hearts so highly. They are awful and we will hump them this season.

Steve20
05-08-2014, 02:44 PM
And they were beaten by Cowdenbeath last night with the same players. It continues to puzzle me why our fans rate hearts so highly. They are awful and we will hump them this season.

Just like we were going to do everytime we played them last season. People don't rate them highly, they just think they've got a better squad than we do. And at this moment, they do have.

We really should have should some ambition in winning this league, but all we have is four new players and the same lot that got us relegated.

Brightside
05-08-2014, 02:57 PM
Just like we were going to do everytime we played them last season. People don't rate them highly, they just think they've got a better squad than we do. And at this moment, they do have.

We really should have should some ambition in winning this league, but all we have is four new players and the same lot that got us relegated.
Hang on. IF we had been beaten by Cowdenbeath this place would be in meltdown. THEY get beat and somehow they still have a better squad than is??

bigboab
05-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Mid table finish can't see any better unless we sign real quality which sadly we won't