PDA

View Full Version : NHC Betting in football

Marty-Hibee
01-08-2014, 09:44 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28599142

Anyone read this? Apparently any club employee (don't know how deep that goes) for Englands top 8 leagues aren't allowed to bet on world football whatsoever! I can understand at elite level and even through the football league, but surely a coach at a conference side is allowed a punt at the weekend?

jodjam
01-08-2014, 09:50 AM
This rule is already in place in Scotland

lord bunberry
01-08-2014, 09:52 AM
This rule is already in place in Scotland

And widely ignored

The_Exile
01-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Completely agree with the rule, and anyone caught flouting it should be handed a lifetime ban. Only way to guarantee integrity of the sport.

Oscar T Grouch
01-08-2014, 10:30 AM
Completely agree with the rule, and anyone caught flouting it should be handed a lifetime ban. Only way to guarantee integrity of the sport.

I'm afraid integrity and football parted company a while ago.

DarrenSQH
01-08-2014, 10:31 AM
All that will happen is bookie accounts set up in their mrs name instead of theirs.

LaMotta
01-08-2014, 11:39 AM

The League Cup winning Hibs team of 1991 had a large bet on themselves to win the trophy at decent odds before the season started. Surely there cant be anything wrong with that?

Geo_1875
01-08-2014, 11:43 AM
The League Cup winning Hibs team of 1991 had a large bet on themselves to win the trophy at decent odds before the season started. Surely there cant be anything wrong with that?

You'd think it would be ok to bet on your own team winning as your not going to throw that game. But what if a team has a massive payout on the line and agrees to share that with their opponents? Better to have no gambling at all in football. Or minimum trebles like the good old days.

LaMotta
01-08-2014, 11:47 AM
You'd think it would be ok to bet on your own team winning as your not going to throw that game. But what if a team has a massive payout on the line and agrees to share that with their opponents? Better to have no gambling at all in football. Or minimum trebles like the good old days.

I suppose, never thought of that :hmmm:

jdships
01-08-2014, 12:11 PM

Absolutely correct
Many players bet on football by just using a third party to place the bet in their name so to speak !!
That has been going on for many many years !!
:greengrin

RyeSloan
01-08-2014, 12:15 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28599142 Anyone read this? Apparently any club employee (don't know how deep that goes) for Englands top 8 leagues aren't allowed to bet on world football whatsoever! I can understand at elite level and even through the football league, but surely a coach at a conference side is allowed a punt at the weekend?

You have to love these types of unenforceable regulations.

I know what they are trying to do but just how do they plan to police such a wide ranging diktat?

NadeAteMyLunch!
01-08-2014, 12:17 PM
That little scrotum Ian Black has shown the rule is pretty much not worth the paper it's written on. Numerous bets, AGAINST his own team-dating back years and he gets a pathetic 3 game ban in games that were completely meaningless in Div 3 for the Rangers

Time For Heroes
01-08-2014, 08:47 PM
Good point.
never thought of it like that before.

silverhibee
02-08-2014, 12:09 PM
And widely ignored

Sure is, but i bet the bookies would be gutted if every player in the UK stopped betting today.

silverhibee
02-08-2014, 12:19 PM
Absolutely correct
Many players bet on football by just using a third party to place the bet in their name so to speak !!
That has been going on for many many years !!
:greengrin

Up until a few years ago when there was no online betting football players were never away from the bookies, in all honesty i don't have a problem with players betting on football games as long it's not the one they are playing in, 95% will be doing it for a bit fun and in no way will they be doing it for fixing games, but that is slowly creeping in to our game here in Scotland.

Why are other sportsman like golfers allowed to bet on the tournament they are playing in. :confused: