PDA

View Full Version : The standard of refereeing in Greece must be abysmal

Eyrie
31-07-2014, 01:24 PM
They've just appointed Hugh Dallas as their head referee. We all fondly remember his neutrality and competence, although I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call him the Craig Thomson of his era.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/ex-referee-hugh-dallas-to-head-up-greek-league-1-3493970

HappyAsHellas
31-07-2014, 01:41 PM
Given the staggering amount of match fixing, corruption and other dodgy goings on in Greek leagues, this is to be welcomed. You can argue about his (Hugh Dallas) competence or otherwise, but the Greeks decided to bring in a foreigner to oversee their refereeing appointments in an effort to clean up their game record, which must have been one of the worst ever. AEK got relegated to the bottom tier for doing a Rangers/Yams debt building scheme, while another couple of teams were also relegated. Greek society on the whole is blighted with "φακελακος", which roughly translates as "little brown envelopes".
Time will tell if Mr Dallas is immune to these envelopes or not............

Geo_1875
31-07-2014, 03:01 PM
Hugh Dallas, former Head of Referee Development in Scotland. And people wonder why our current crop are so poor.

cleanyman
31-07-2014, 03:26 PM
Hugh Dallas is an absolute gentleman.

Met him a few times

Hope he does well

bigwheel
31-07-2014, 03:29 PM
Hugh Dallas, former Head of Referee Development in Scotland. And people wonder why our current crop are so poor.

Personally , I thought Hugh Dallas was an excellent referee ...certainly far better than recent "top refs " ...

Geo_1875
31-07-2014, 05:16 PM
Personally , I thought Hugh Dallas was an excellent referee ...certainly far better than recent "top refs " ...

He was a weak referee who picked his targets to look in control. He had agendas which he could never quite hide.

bigwheel
31-07-2014, 05:23 PM
He was a weak referee who picked his targets to look in control. He had agendas which he could never quite hide.

And what were his agendas ?

cleanyman
31-07-2014, 05:26 PM

Aye, I've never got this either.

Dallas is a big Motherwell fan.

The guy refereed at a World Cup which I don't think has been achieved by another Scottish ref since.

bigwheel
31-07-2014, 05:46 PM
Aye, I've never got this either.

Dallas is a big Motherwell fan.

The guy refereed at a World Cup which I don't think has been achieved by another Scottish ref since.

exactly, a big motherwell fan, who was our best referee by far of his generation....we seem to be taking on paranoia from other teams too now

Billy Whizz
31-07-2014, 06:20 PM

And for some strange reason, The rangers hate his son, Andrew, who's now a ref as well

Geo_1875
01-08-2014, 11:46 AM

Read the reports of his email misdemeanours?