PDA

View Full Version : Garry O'Connor

.Sean.
29-07-2014, 08:43 PM
Signed for Selkirk apparantly.

https://www.facebook.com/selkirkfootballclub

'Breaking news : Ex Hibernian FC , Locomotive Moscow and Birmingham City striker Gary Oconnor to sign with Selkirk FC , Gary to attend tomorrows match v Hibernian at Yarrow Park (kick off 6.45pm)'

Iceman1875
29-07-2014, 08:55 PM
Good to see him playing football again whatever the level.

Billychaotic182
29-07-2014, 08:55 PM
Always liked Gary. Good luck to him. For his family's sake I hope is demons are behind him

BOB MARLEYS DUG
29-07-2014, 08:57 PM
Pretty sure the 20's have a game against them tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how he does.

KdyHby
29-07-2014, 08:58 PM
Added interest for tomorrow night's match.

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?287595-Hibernian-v-Selkirk!!&p=4110884#post4110884

Pretty Boy
29-07-2014, 08:58 PM
Good luck to the guy.

His mistakes are well documented but for his and his families sake I hope he's put it all behind him.

Ross89
29-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Good luck to the guy.

His mistakes are well documented but for his and his families sake I hope he's put it all behind him.

Spot on PB - totally agree mate.

Wotherspiniesta
29-07-2014, 09:01 PM
Sorry but no for me.

Lost all respect for him after seeing him re-sign, seeimngly get himself less fit as the season wore on, embarass himself during the cup final and after the cup final then slander Fenlon after he left.

Good on his day, but an absolute joke of a guy.

Jay
29-07-2014, 09:07 PM
Can we get the thread back on track?

Mikey
29-07-2014, 09:08 PM
Can we keep this ON topic and leave out the personal stuff please.

blackpoolhibs
29-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Not his biggest fan since his last time at the club, but i wonder if this is part of his rehab and maybe even part of the new tv programme he's supposed to be appearing in?

lEXO
29-07-2014, 09:19 PM
It proves that the guy just wants to play football if nothing else. Good luck to him. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." On here you must be joking.....

Ross89
29-07-2014, 09:26 PM
It proves that the guy just wants to play football if nothing else. Good luck to him. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." On here you must be joking.....

:top marks

Ozyhibby
29-07-2014, 09:31 PM
If he had kept himself fit he could still be earning himself a couple of grand a week.
He'll never get back there now.
Don't think he deserves any abuse or pity from Hibs fans.
Has Deek officially retired now?

BSEJVT
29-07-2014, 09:36 PM
Anyone who doesn't see that the guy needs all the help and support he can get must gave a heart of stone.

He had it all and couldn't deal with it and has royally ****ed up time and time again.

I would like to think that I will one day enjoy watching Hibs as much again as I did when Garry & Derek and their teammates were at their best.

Rather than rejoicing in their demise as many seem to take great joy in doing, I am saddened that they are no longer playing.

Good luck Garry

EastCalderHibby
29-07-2014, 10:06 PM
Good to see him playing football again whatever the level.

:agree: could have ended up working on a boat with elephant man kk
good luck goc

MG1965
29-07-2014, 10:07 PM
It is a shame how he has fell from strutting his stuff in Russia to playing at Selkirk but that's life unfortunately. He seems keen to keeping himself involved in football and if that keeps him focussed then great. A great servant to Hibs who will be adored by all Hibees faithfull who meet him. All the best in whatever you achieve in life.

JJP
29-07-2014, 10:11 PM
All the best to Big Gaz.

Iceman1875
29-07-2014, 10:13 PM
If he had kept himself fit he could still be earning himself a couple of grand a week.
He'll never get back there now.
Don't think he deserves any abuse or pity from Hibs fans.
Has Deek officially retired now?

I don't think so, not that I've heard anyway.

gorgie greens
29-07-2014, 10:55 PM
dont know how long ago but i drove down to the borders one evening to watch GOC ,sure he was 16 at the time cant remember against who but Gala sticks in my mind ,he looked a player annd was throwing these grown men about like toys,good luck on whats left of your time left in the game,

Scottie
30-07-2014, 12:08 AM
Good luck to the guy.

Great news for GOC that Selkirk are giving him a chance to ply his trade again as a footballer.

Selkirk's a great border club so I hope he screws the noddle and gets to grips with what's right and wrong in life and repays them for the faith they have shown in him. :aok:

Iain G
30-07-2014, 01:30 AM
Anyone who doesn't see that the guy needs all the help and support he can get must gave a heart of stone.

He had it all and couldn't deal with it and has royally ****ed up time and time again.

I would like to think that I will one day enjoy watching Hibs as much again as I did when Garry & Derek and their teammates were at their best.

Rather than rejoicing in their demise as many seem to take great joy in doing, I am saddened that they are no longer playing.

Good luck Garry

I don't think anyone on here is or ever has rejoiced at his demise? It seems that there is a frustration some folks still have at having watched one (or two if you include Deek) of our most promising footballers throw it all down the gutter.

Yes he needs support and help and probably he didn't get that help and advice during his career and it's good he is playing at some level.

But he had the ability to be a great forward, and that is why it's furstrating as he could still be playing at a good level and still be leading the line for his country.

yankyhibby
30-07-2014, 01:52 AM
Good luck, Garry! -both in your personal and professional life.
You gave this Hibby some memorable moments -including that last minute goal at E.R. that secured a satisfying 1-0 win against our greatest rivals.

scoopyboy
30-07-2014, 02:34 AM
Good luck Garry, wished it had worked out differently.

Known him and his family for donkey's years and I can honestly say he doesn't have a bad bone in his body.

With some luck we might see one of his laddies play for us one day. According to Garry's grandad the younger is the best bet of the two.

Michael
30-07-2014, 04:57 AM
http://tablet.scotsman.com/webimage/1.2893957.1365853473!/image/2761222482.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_595/2761222482.jpg

hibs4thecup1988
30-07-2014, 05:54 AM
I loved watching Garry play. I was never his biggest fan after seeing him on a night out with my own eyes when he was a youngster and confronting him. But his play on the park back then was amazing to watch. Therefore leave off the name calling eh.

Allant1981
30-07-2014, 08:37 AM
Maybe he has FINALLY realised how much he has messed up his life, highly doubt it but good luck to the guy. If he gets fit this season could still play at a higher level

Sudds_1
30-07-2014, 08:40 AM
Sorry but no for me.

Lost all respect for him after seeing him re-sign, seeimngly get himself less fit as the season wore on, embarass himself during the cup final and after the cup final then slander Fenlon after he left.

Good on his day, but an absolute joke of a guy.

Harsh...........very harsh. Everyone should be given the chance to re-establish respect - and self respect. Yes, he let a great many people down - Hibs community AND his family. But most of all himself. And it will take him a long time to earn back what he's lost.

But that does not mean people should dismiss him as a waster.......time will tell. And if his efforts ARE genuine he deserves the support he needs to get there.

R11Loaded
30-07-2014, 08:41 AM
Even as a teenager at Hibs he was in the cube in Musselburgh kissing my dad's Hibs badge on his arm thinking he'd be safe with him.

He's always had problems and the more money he got the more he spent, seen him in my work the other week and he's looking leaner so he should hopefully stroll it at Selkirk and roll back the years.

Admin edit: let's not go there

Gus
30-07-2014, 08:58 AM
:agree: could have ended up working on a boat with elephant man kk
good luck goc

Aye imagine realising you need to work too support your family & going to get an every day job, or self destruct and rely on the state when you were once earning £30k a week.

I have far more respect for KK than I ever will for GC.

I do however wish him luch in getting his life in order & hopefully get a passion for football back

MrRobot
30-07-2014, 09:01 AM
Pleased for him. Sometimes you gotta take a step back before you can move forward. Hopefully he does well and gets a move to a bigger team.

GlenrothesHibee
30-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Pleased for him. Sometimes you gotta take a step back before you can move forward. Hopefully he does well and gets a move to a bigger team.

I thought the same when he signed for Morton. Tragic how his career has ended up. I thought he was a terrific player.

monteddie
30-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Aye imagine realising you need to work too support your family & going to get an every day job, or self destruct and rely on the state when you were once earning £30k a week.

I have far more respect for KK than I ever will for GC.

I do however wish him luch in getting his life in order & hopefully get a passion for football back

I think we should let him get on with his life , he obviously has problems however I am sure the constant attention he gets here and other less sympathetic web sites as well as the press are not helping his cause.
Good luck big Man!!

MrRobot
30-07-2014, 12:14 PM
I thought the same when he signed for Morton. Tragic how his career has ended up. I thought he was a terrific player.

It is indeed. Really do hope he has put it all behind him now, he's been nothing but sound whenever i've met him.

Betty Boop
30-07-2014, 12:52 PM
Good luck Garry son, everybody deserves a chance.

NAE NOOKIE
30-07-2014, 01:54 PM
If everybody in the world was perfect it would be a perfect world and utterly, utterly boring. I'm sure Gary doesn't need anybody to remind him that he has messed up. He is still a young man and can make a living out of football if he screws the nut and goes for his coaching badges. If he turns out to be good at it what better man to have at a club to advise young players of the perils of getting stuff wrong off the field.

Good luck to him.

HibbyAndy
30-07-2014, 02:15 PM
Good luck Garry :aok:

Just Alf
30-07-2014, 02:23 PM

It is indeed. Really do hope he has put it all behind him now, he's been nothing but sound whenever i've met him.

Agree to all of that except bit in bold. I just want him to be happy playing again at whatever level.. I remember some saying he used to have kids knocking on his door and he went out and played street footy for a bit with them :agree: .... Hopefully he can start to enjoy the game again like he used to, and then what will be, will be regarding clubs etc.

:flag:

johnrebus
30-07-2014, 05:43 PM
Aye. Amazing how many perfect people there are on here.

Good luck Gaz. Hope you can back to a higher level.

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Got a feeling that getting a regular game of football isn't Garry's top priority at the moment. Whatever he does with his future it will pan out based on his own actions.

andy1875
30-07-2014, 06:51 PM
I hope Garry can get everything back on track. He gave us Hibbys some right good times, brought in a £1.8m transfer fee and if memory serves me correctly, donated his signing on fee at Moscow to the Hibs academy.

His issues have been well documented but I wouldn't wish the guy anything other than good luck.

Mr White
30-07-2014, 07:20 PM
I hope Garry can get everything back on track. He gave us Hibbys some right good times, brought in a £1.8m transfer fee and if memory serves me correctly, donated his signing on fee at Moscow to the Hibs academy.

His issues have been well documented but I wouldn't wish the guy anything other than good luck.

This :agree:

MrRobot
31-07-2014, 11:09 AM
Agree to all of that except bit in bold. I just want him to be happy playing again at whatever level.. I remember some saying he used to have kids knocking on his door and he went out and played street footy for a bit with them :agree: .... Hopefully he can start to enjoy the game again like he used to, and then what will be, will be regarding clubs etc.

:flag:

TBH that's a very good point, as long as he's happy with whatever club he's at, thats the main thing.

greenlex
01-08-2014, 02:48 AM
I can't see him holding a place in the team at Selkirk. If he can't get motivated to play fir Hibs or Mirton it won't happen. Good luck but he's gonna need it.

Turkish Green
01-08-2014, 01:31 PM
He's just a big daft laddie that just wants to play football. Sadly if he'd looked after himself slightly better he would still be playing at a higher level.

Good luck to him.

Dashing Bob S
01-08-2014, 01:57 PM
He's just a big daft laddie that just wants to play football. Sadly if he'd looked after himself slightly better he would still be playing at a higher level.

Good luck to him.

Indeed - and you could say the same about many of us on this board, myself included.

DaveF
23-08-2014, 07:11 PM
GOC scored for Selkirk again today (just looking for some good Hibs related news!)

Interestingly, it was against Vale of Leithen for whom alleged Hearts supporting Nazi Ryan Sclater plays for. Wonder if he got a game today?

Scottie
23-08-2014, 07:19 PM
GOC scored for Selkirk again today (just looking for some good Hibs related news!)

Interestingly, it was against Vale of Leithen for whom alleged Hearts supporting Nazi Ryan Sclater plays for. Wonder if he got a game today?
Big Gaz will score 30 plus this season for the Souters

Their problem will be holding onto him in the transfer windows. Well done big yin :aok:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
23-08-2014, 07:27 PM

Well done big Gaz :aok: