PDA

View Full Version : Has Robbo Provided An Insight Into The Butcher Era Issues?

Speedway
29-07-2014, 10:50 AM
“With the set-up we’ve got here, with the manager and the coaching staff, they are all about coaching.

“I’m 29 now and there’s things they’re saying to me – just little coaching points and good habits – and they are drumming them into you.

“It’s really encouraging and refreshing for me to experience that.

“It’s all been positive and encouraging so far, and I think boys like Scott Allan will flourish at a club like this. The manager tries to get the best out of people by believing in them, rather than belittling them.

From Here:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-midfielder-scott-robertson-reckons-3929078?

Stevie Reid
29-07-2014, 10:53 AM
“With the set-up we’ve got here, with the manager and the coaching staff, they are all about coaching.

“I’m 29 now and there’s things they’re saying to me – just little coaching points and good habits – and they are drumming them into you.

“It’s all been positive and encouraging so far, and I think boys like Scott Allan will flourish at a club like this. The manager tries to get the best out of people by believing in them, rather than belittling them.

From Here:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-midfielder-scott-robertson-reckons-3929078?

Seems pretty clear cut, really. When all the horror stories started coming out on here and the PM board about Butcher and Malpas a few months ago, it seemed impossible to believe that such things could happen in modern day football - however, the more time has passed, and the more comments like this you read, the more it seems like they were all true.

Worst thing to ever happen to us, and I'm delighted they're gone.

Only downside to stories such as this is it may not help us get them off the wage bill.

Ozyhibby
29-07-2014, 10:55 AM
The Butcher appointment was probably the worst by any club in Scottish football history. Whoever interviewed him and appointed him should never work in football again.

S4uzee
29-07-2014, 10:58 AM
The Butcher appointment was probably the worst by any club in Scottish football history. Whoever interviewed him and appointed him should never work in football again.
Easy to say that now

blackpoolhibs
29-07-2014, 11:01 AM
Easy to say that now

Well before he was appointed, i pointed out his MANAGERIAL record. Have a look yourself and see if its good enough to manage our club.

PS, he does talk a good game, christ even i thought he might be able to make us better. Hot air and bull****, thats about all you get from the man.

I will say i was not 100% against him, but there were some who did not want him.

SeanWilson
29-07-2014, 11:02 AM

Are you having a laugh?? With hindsight, yes, shocking appointment. However, i would say 95% of hibs fans were delighted that hibs managed to secure TB and his cronies...

smithyhfc
29-07-2014, 11:08 AM
Thought it was a great appointment and what we needed at the time unfortunately how wrong was I

Brightside
29-07-2014, 11:09 AM
I think most were fooled by his bluff. But i said to plenty as soon as they started playing that we were in real danger of going down if he didnt start playing football. It was him that told them to lump the ball. Even in the final game, to not be able to hold a 2-0 advantage against Hamilton is nothing short of disgusting. He did more damage in 6 months than any recent manager.

Speedway
29-07-2014, 11:12 AM
Well before he was appointed, i pointed out his MANAGERIAL record. Have a look yourself and see if its good enough to manage our club.

PS, he does talk a good game, christ even i thought he might be able to make us better. Hot air and bull****, thats about all you get from the man.

I will say i was not 100% against him, but there were some who did not want him.

I was in that number. I believe my post at the time when he was in talks was 'noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo'

His SPL record was worse than Fenlon's and it wasn't just BH and myself that pointed that out.

leither17
29-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Was taken in 100% by all his bull thought he was the man for the job but after the Raith cup game I knew we were in serious trouble was more angry after that game than the last 2 finals

WestStandMoaner
29-07-2014, 11:32 AM
Seems pretty clear cut, really. When all the horror stories started coming out on here and the PM board about Butcher and Malpas a few months ago, it seemed impossible to believe that such things could happen in modern day football - however, the more time has passed, and the more comments like this you read, the more it seems like they were all true.

Worst thing to ever happen to us, and I'm delighted they're gone.

Only downside to stories such as this is it may not help us get them off the wage bill.

On the rumour side of things, there was one kicking about that Butcher had Alex Harris by the throat after one of the games, probably was just that a rumour but it would be well worth the club investigating because if true it would be a sacking offence

TheFamous1875
29-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Was it not James Collins he was meant to have had 'round the throat? Telling him he was "one of the worst players he'd ever worked with" ?? I might be getting a few rumours mixed up into one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

brog
29-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Are you having a laugh?? With hindsight, yes, shocking appointment. However, i would say 95% of hibs fans were delighted that hibs managed to secure TB and his cronies...

Agreed, I was delighted when he arrived & unfortunately even more delighted when he left!v

Thecat23
29-07-2014, 11:48 AM
Yet ehrn he was sacked there were folk still defending him saying they should have given him time to build his own team.
:confused:

I fell for his crap chat and how he will turn us around. Thought he was a very good signing and was pleased. But after hearing the horror stories about his training and how he spoke to players along with MM i'm glad they are gone. I feel for any team who take them on.

MrRobot
29-07-2014, 11:51 AM
If that rumour is true that he took a player by the throat then that is absolutely disgusting. I genuinely hope that isn't true, especially if it was Alex Harris.

Northernhibee
29-07-2014, 11:55 AM
I know an ex ICT player who said Butcher would frequently go mental at players he didn't like.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
29-07-2014, 11:58 AM
Was it not James Collins he was meant to have had 'round the throat? Telling him he was "one of the worst players he'd ever worked with" ?? I might be getting a few rumours mixed up into one!

Haven't heard that one. Heard Steve Marsella grabbed JC at Tynie amd told him he was useless.

AndyM_1875
29-07-2014, 12:00 PM
On the rumour side of things, there was one kicking about that Butcher had Alex Harris by the throat after one of the games, probably was just that a rumour but it would be well worth the club investigating because if true it would be a sacking offence

I was told similar.

ALLEGEDLY.......Butcher and Malpas would pin players against the wall screaming in their faces. He could get away with doing that with wee ladies like Harris who wouldn't fight back but seasoned pros like McPake and Thomson would tell him to *** off.
McPake especially would not stand for any of that intimidation rubbish as he was more than capable of physically decking either of them.
So what you ended up with was him being ostracized from the team. He was fit 12 weeks before the end of the season and we needed him but Butcher wouldn't play him...go figure.
Thomson meanwhile is sitting there thinking how he's played international football and under managers like Tony Mowbray, Walter Smith and Gordon Strachan and now he's getting fed this nonsense and being told to kick it into the corners.

The management tactics were neanderthal at best. Rule by fear and intimidation. Total crap.

CentreLine
29-07-2014, 12:02 PM

And every poster on here who thought the appointment was a good idea should be banned from having an opinion for life :greengrin

S4uzee
29-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Haven't heard that one. Heard Steve Marsella grabbed JC at Tynie amd told him he was useless.

Can't blame him for that

Pretty Boy
29-07-2014, 12:14 PM
I know 2 young players who were described as 'distraught' in the dressing room after the play off game. Butcher never even spoke to them and left it to Kevin Thomson and Liam Craig to try and comfort them. Obviously he was angry and upset as well but that's where a manager should be looking after his young players.

I was taken in by him, he wasn't my 2st choice but when he was appointed I bought into the bollox he spoke. I was even, quite embarassingly with hindsight, quite impressed by his piss poor treatment of Ross Caldwell in Dingwall. Seems to me he was an arrogant bully who alienated almost every player at the club.

Glad he's gone and delighted Stubbs seems the exact opposite of him

jacomo
29-07-2014, 12:23 PM

Isn't this what a recruitment process is for? You know, draw up a list of candidates, then interview them, ask other people about them, do a little research...

Does make me wonder if Petrie asked TB anything other than "when can you start?".

His appointment was a disaster. OK, maybe we couldn't have seen it coming, but whoever recruited him has to take the blame too. That's how it works.

(((Fergus)))
29-07-2014, 12:23 PM

And how many of those fans work in football?

GreenPJ
29-07-2014, 12:26 PM
It has been proven that Butcher is very one dimensional. Where he has players who meet his needs and style of play it might work but its never going to be a long term solution even if you had the right players as you need to be able to adapt in the modern game both as a player and a manager.

Whilst ultimately Butcher took us down if he hadn't I am not sure we would have seen some of the postive changes at the club we have seen subsequent to relegation - every cloud and all that.

HFC 0-7
29-07-2014, 12:39 PM
If that rumour is true that he took a player by the throat then that is absolutely disgusting. I genuinely hope that isn't true, especially if it was Alex Harris.

I dont think that rumour will be true, if it was I am pretty sure Hibs would have sacked him and not be paying him a salary when he isnt even working.

Ozyhibby
29-07-2014, 12:46 PM
And every poster on here who thought the appointment was a good idea should be banned from having an opinion for life :greengrin

Don't think any of the posters on here had the benefit of interviewing him, have jobs where they are expected to be able to recruit managers in the football industry etc.
People on football message boards usually react positively to any appointment a club makes. Their love for the club make them always want to think good things about it. I was pleased when we appointed Butcher even though the things he was saying in his interviews with the press were the exact opposite to the direction I think we should go. The people who are charged by the club to select new managers have to be above all that.

--------
29-07-2014, 12:49 PM

From Here:

He's surely not suggesting that Mr Butcher and Mr Malpas were in the habit of belittling the players? :tsk tsk:

I find that VERY hard to believe. :fibber:

:wink:

1950's hibbie
29-07-2014, 12:55 PM
It seemed to me quite natural to appoint Butcher at the time we did. The success he was having at Inverness with a moderate budget, and seemed to be motivating average players to their best capability. Hibs were a massive move for him, we had the facilities, the resources and playing staff that someone with his apparent abilities should have succeded with, he didn't, it was a mistake as it turned out, but at the onset it looked like a master stroke, how many critics on here now honestly saw the debacle that followed. I admit to being completely taken in by him.

jacomo
29-07-2014, 01:03 PM
I dont think that rumour will be true, if it was I am pretty sure Hibs would have sacked him and not be paying him a salary when he isnt even working.

IF it did happen, and IF in the immediate aftermath Hibs did nothing or tried to sweep it under the carpet, I imagine it would then be very hard to sack the guy later without being hit with a claim for unfair dismissal.

KeithTheHibby
29-07-2014, 01:19 PM
If butcher and malpas were as bad as what is rumoured how come it seemed to have the opposite effect on the Inverness players? Those guys seemed to play above themselves yet our players went the opposite way. Weird.

Lago
29-07-2014, 01:19 PM
Totally agree, said the same myself on a number of occasions.

TheFamous1875
29-07-2014, 01:20 PM

Maybe that's what I'm getting mixed up with then. :dunno:

matty_f
29-07-2014, 01:22 PM
I defended Butcher for a long time until it became clear exactly what he was doing and how he was doing it. The man was a disgrace.

John_the_angus_hibby
29-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Thought it was a great appointment and what we needed at the time unfortunately how wrong was I

Ditto. And getting more pleased with wee insights into Stubbs reign.

Lester B
29-07-2014, 01:33 PM
I know 2 young players who were described as 'distraught' in the dressing room after the play off game. Butcher never even spoke to them and left it to Kevin Thomson and Liam Craig to try and comfort them. Obviously he was angry and upset as well but that's where a manager should be looking after his young players.

I was taken in by him, he wasn't my 2st choice but when he was appointed I bought into the bollox he spoke. I was even, quite embarassingly with hindsight, quite impressed by his piss poor treatment of Ross Caldwell in Dingwall. Seems to me he was an arrogant bully who alienated almost every player at the club.

Glad he's gone and delighted Stubbs seems the exact opposite of him

I also heard that story about after the play offs and once I heard that it was clear that he wasn't just useless tactically but was a pathetic excuse for a man.

Calderwood was hopeless, Fenlon was a nice guy out of his depth but Butcher will go down as the worst manager in our history. Stubbs's first advantage was not being Butcher. Seems to me AS is a lot of things that oaf isn't.

SeanWilson
29-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Isn't this what a recruitment process is for? You know, draw up a list of candidates, then interview them, ask other people about them, do a little research...

Does make me wonder if Petrie asked TB anything other than "when can you start?".

His appointment was a disaster. OK, maybe we couldn't have seen it coming, but whoever recruited him has to take the blame too. That's how it works.

Indeed, generally speaking in most forms of employment (and even in football at times) this would be the standard procedure. However, in this case it (at the time) seemed (IMO) an absolute no brainer.

And how many of those fans work in football?

Apologies, however i am unable to provide a figure for how many of that % work in football :confused:

blackpoolhibs
29-07-2014, 02:20 PM
Indeed, generally speaking in most forms of employment (and even in football at times) this would be the standard procedure. However, in this case it (at the time) seemed (IMO) an absolute no brainer.
Apologies, however i am unable to provide a figure for how many of that % work in football :confused:

Not really, pretty much every Hibs fan was sick to death of what we were watching. We just wanted a winning team who played decent football that excited us.

Butcher had had 18 months of decent results in the Highlands, the rest of his career as a manger had been average to very poor.

We were hoodwinked by his bull****, and were taken in because we wanted much better than we were getting and had been given for too long.

The people who appointed him get paid very handsomely to make these decisions, and should not be swayed like most of us were.

Lets hope this time its right.

Dashing Bob S
29-07-2014, 02:27 PM
Not really, pretty much every Hibs fan was sick to death of what we were watching. We just wanted a winning team who played decent football that excited us.

Butcher had had 18 months of decent results in the Highlands, the rest of his career as a manger had been average to very poor.

We were hoodwinked by his bull****, and were taken in because we wanted much better than we were getting and had been given for too long.

The people who appointed him get paid very handsomely to make these decisions, and should not be swayed like most of us were.

Lets hope this time its right.

Exactly - especially the last point which illustrates what a disgrace it is that the serial failure Petrie still has any connections with this club.

Hibeesmad
29-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Was taken in 100% by all his bull thought he was the man for the job but after the Raith cup game I knew we were in serious trouble was more angry after that game than the last 2 finals

That was the game that finished it for me too mate

SMAXXA
29-07-2014, 02:31 PM
I don't believe any throat grabbing went on with any player guys. Their abuse was verbal and aggressive but didn't get physical. I think the closest that it came was with Caldwell up at Ross county when he went to squad upto Malpas after taking some heavy duty stick. I can say now but their was a complaint made to Petrie by Harris family about the behaviour off them towards players bordering bullying. They also contacted Stuart Lovell at the PFA with their concerns bunt unfortunately there wasn't anything they could do. Just a really had situation and the way they conducted themselves if they had still been in charge would have set us back 20 years.

stubbs era now and getting some very good messages out from the club about a number if aspects and all very encouraging.

Trim The Barber
29-07-2014, 02:59 PM
Whilst not dismissing Butcher's flaws and failures in his brief and ruinous tenure as Hibs manager, what was most apparent and what cannot be excused, was the utter lack of spine and character exhibited by the players during - but not limited to - the whole sorry humiliating relegation debacle. Let's hope AS is the Messiah! GGTTH

cam2644
29-07-2014, 03:02 PM
It's square pegs and round holes. Butcher seemed the right choice at the time because more backbone was needed in an underperforming side. However his style was not Hibs style and the two could never meet.
Why not forget about a sad episode and get behind Alan Stubbs.

nickwhibs
29-07-2014, 03:10 PM
I don't believe any throat grabbing went on with any player guys. Their abuse was verbal and aggressive but didn't get physical. I think the closest that it came was with Caldwell up at Ross county when he went to squad upto Malpas after taking some heavy duty stick. I can say now but their was a complaint made to Petrie by Harris family about the behaviour off them towards players bordering bullying. They also contacted Stuart Lovell at the PFA with their concerns bunt unfortunately there wasn't anything they could do. Just a really had situation and the way they conducted themselves if they had still been in charge would have set us back 20 years.

stubbs era now and getting some very good messages out from the club about a number if aspects and all very encouraging.

Reading stuff like this makes me so angry that these guys were at our club, but also delighted that they are no longer here. Bullying has no place anywhere. Onwards and upwards. I hope the young guys like Harris thrive this season now that we seem to have a coaching team that believes in them.

jacomo
29-07-2014, 03:23 PM
I also heard that story about after the play offs and once I heard that it was clear that he wasn't just useless tactically but was a pathetic excuse for a man.

Calderwood was hopeless, Fenlon was a nice guy out of his depth but Butcher will go down as the worst manager in our history. Stubbs's first advantage was not being Butcher. Seems to me AS is a lot of things that oaf isn't.

It's incredible that anyone could rival or even surpass Calderwood's ineptitude as Hibs boss, but I think Butcher managed it. An achievement of sorts.

Trim The Barber
29-07-2014, 03:40 PM
It's square pegs and round holes. Butcher seemed the right choice at the time because more backbone was needed in an underperforming side. However his style was not Hibs style and the two could never meet.
Why not forget about a sad episode and get behind Alan Stubbs.

Quite agree mate, let's get behind Stubbs...but not exactly sure what you mean by Hibs style?
Maybe we shouldn't be too quick to forget about that 'sad episode' either, or we might just never learn from our mistakes! GGTTH

Springbank
29-07-2014, 04:12 PM

Funny, that was also the game for me when I thought (1) why is the bench stronger than the first xi and (2) why isn't the manager getting animated on the touch line when he's meant to be all about motivation.

Butcher himself said he got a number of letters from fans after that game saying Hibs were too big a club to make such mistakes in a cup game. Sounds like you were not alone that weekend.

truehibernian
29-07-2014, 04:19 PM

I heard a snippet from a team meeting the staff had with 6 games or so to go. TB had done the 'good cop' routine when they all gathered and said he wanted the players to be honest and open about where things were going wrong and how they could address things and be better - Liam Craig as captain was the first to give his opinion - to which Mo Malpas replied 'f off' - when Liam said that MM's reply was hardly constructive, Malpas told him to F off again.

To be honest though, we have now moved on, Hibs seems to be a far far happier and more youthful and positive coaching environment, and TB and MM should be consigned to a very horrible part of our history.

Onwards and upwards.

Pretty Boy
29-07-2014, 04:26 PM
I heard a snippet from a team meeting the staff had with 6 games or so to go. TB had done the 'good cop' routine when they all gathered and said he wanted the players to be honest and open about where things were going wrong and how they could address things and be better - Liam Craig as captain was the first to give his opinion - to which Mo Malpas replied 'f off' - when Liam said that MM's reply was hardly constructive, Malpas told him to F off again.

To be honest though, we have now moved on, Hibs seems to be a far far happier and more youthful and positive coaching environment, and TB and MM should be consigned to a very horrible part of our history.

Onwards and upwards.

The more I hear about stuff like this the more I realise what horrible pressure LC must have been under as captain.

He must have been stuck in the middle of a horrible situation with players and a management team who literally hated each other. Hopefully with a bit less pressure on him this season he can concentrate on his game and be the player we hoped he would be.

oneone73
29-07-2014, 04:48 PM
I don't believe any throat grabbing went on with any player guys. Their abuse was verbal and aggressive but didn't get physical. I think the closest that it came was with Caldwell up at Ross county when he went to squad upto Malpas after taking some heavy duty stick. I can say now but their was a complaint made to Petrie by Harris family about the behaviour off them towards players bordering bullying. They also contacted Stuart Lovell at the PFA with their concerns bunt unfortunately there wasn't anything they could do. Just a really had situation and the way they conducted themselves if they had still been in charge would have set us back 20 years

And we're still paying them. Sickening.

bingo70
29-07-2014, 05:19 PM
I got the piss taken out of me when butcher was appointed as I said he was a lazy appointment but that's just what he was.

I cab understand fans wanting him as we didn't have access to any other candidates and we weren't able to interview him to ask his philosophies on the game were, how he would deal with situations like last season, what his man management techniques were etc etc.....

I would expect whoever recruited him to ask those questions and to look further back than his current role.

I also think him and malpas were just a couple of bullies who got lucky at Inverness as they found a bunch of players who were reacted to this kind of management, probably because many of them were in last chance saloon in terms of making it as professionals.

JJP
29-07-2014, 05:25 PM
There must be more to Terry Butcher than what this thread suggests though. I remember after he was put on leave, one of his ex player's, Johnny Hayes, said that Butcher was too good for Hibs. So obviously not all players that have played under Terry have felt this way.

weonlywon6-2
29-07-2014, 05:32 PM

From Here:

Seems like a dig at the previous management team,but why not ,they were awful,and got paid for failing in their job

Great to hear positive stories coming out of hibs for a change.

Spoke with a person at hibs recently and they said it was a huge difference to the old management team

--------
29-07-2014, 05:48 PM
There must be more to Terry Butcher than what this thread suggests though. I remember after he was put on leave, one of his ex player's, Johnny Hayes, said that Butcher was too good for Hibs. So obviously not all players that have played under Terry have felt this way.

Maybe Hayes was one of his favourites?

Or maybe Hayes just really REALLY despises Hibs?

I don't think that these reports can all be wrong.

Northernhibee
29-07-2014, 05:51 PM
Maybe Hayes was one of his favourites?

Or maybe Hayes just really REALLY despises Hibs?

I don't think that these reports can all be wrong.

If you were a friend of Butcher at ICT and didn't challenge him he'd treat you like family. If you had the guts to stand up for yourself or he just plain didn't like you then he was miserable to work for. He would often be in the face of people he didn't like screaming at them.

Awful man manager.

emerald green
29-07-2014, 06:10 PM
Having read through this thread, I've got a few questions:

Who was responsible for doing the "homework" on Butcher & Malpas before appointing them? Were they completely blinded by TB/MM's record with ICT and ignored all Butcher's previous failures? If so, that was extremely negligent as it turned out.

Petrie usually gets the blame, but was it his decision alone to make that disastrous appointment? Were there others at ER involved in recommending these charlatans? If so, who were they? Are they still at the club?

Like another poster said earlier, how did that pair manage to get ICT to where they got them? I remember Hibs couldn't score a goal against ICT for umpteen games, never mind actually beat them. Hibs "bogey team" I remember ICT being called.

neil7908
29-07-2014, 06:24 PM

That would go a long way to explain why Harris looked so poor last season and also why he appears to now be back on form under Stubbs.

Really horrible story to read and just wish we could go back in time and never bring him to the club in the first place. I find it even more galling given how pally he is with the media so doesn't seem to get any stick.

emerald green
29-07-2014, 06:34 PM
That would go a long way to explain why Harris looked so poor last season and also why he appears to now be back on form under Stubbs.

Really horrible story to read and just wish we could go back in time and never bring him to the club in the first place. I find it even more galling given how pally he is with the media so doesn't seem to get any stick.

You may find it galling mate, but you really shouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised. Remember, he used to be captain of Glasgow Rangers.

greenlex
29-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Built a good thing at Inverness and should have done the same at Hibs. That's what he was brought in to do. He failed at the first hurdle.relegation was a disaster for both us and him. He's gone now so let's move on and get behind what actually is happening rather than raking over what a disaster his tenure was.

Hibbyradge
29-07-2014, 07:07 PM
I was even, quite embarassingly with hindsight, quite impressed by his piss poor treatment of Ross Caldwell in Dingwall.

I was slagged off on here, and elsewhere, for saying that Butcher had got that badly wrong, by people who thought Caldwell deserved what happened.

I don't remember you in particular... :greengrin

Hibbyradge
29-07-2014, 07:14 PM

Onwards and upwards.

I heard a similar story although it involved Kevin Thomson.

MM's retort was to tell KT that he was a effin has been and no wonder his Scotland days were over.

southsider
29-07-2014, 07:17 PM
Built a good thing at Inverness and should have done the same at Hibs. That's what he was brought in to do. He failed at the first hurdle.relegation was a disaster for both us and him. He's gone now so let's move on and get behind what actually is happening rather than raking over what a disaster his tenure was.
The problem is we are still paying this clown and his sidekick. Big drain on our budget.

ballengeich
29-07-2014, 07:28 PM
The more I hear about stuff like this the more I realise what horrible pressure LC must have been under as captain.

He must have been stuck in the middle of a horrible situation with players and a management team who literally hated each other. Hopefully with a bit less pressure on him this season he can concentrate on his game and be the player we hoped he would be.

Maybe he should have gathered a group of senior players and arranged for them to meet Rod Petrie at his house to let him know what was going on:greengrin

Hibbyradge
29-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Maybe he should have gathered a group of senior players and arranged for them to meet Rod Petrie at his house to let him know what was going on:greengrin

That's a brilliant analogy.

You should start a thread asking the question. It would be a really interesting discussion. :agree:

Ross89
29-07-2014, 08:35 PM
I was delighted with the Butcher appointment - I've never been more wrong in my life!

In Alan Stubbs We Trust

Hermit Crab
29-07-2014, 08:41 PM
I too wish butcher had succeeded at hibs but it wasn't to be. The stories about the shouting and threats of violence are rife now he's away.

Stubbs seems to be doing the right things. Confidence and belief see key but can he be too nice to the players? I think every manager has to have a bit of hair dryer in them for when the team has under performed. Does Stubbs have that do we think?

Ross89
29-07-2014, 08:45 PM
I too wish butcher had succeeded at hibs but it wasn't to be. The stories about the shouting and threats of violence are rife now he's away.

Stubbs seems to be doing the right things. Confidence and belief see key but can he be too nice to the players? I think every manager has to have a bit of hair dryer in them for when the team has under performed. Does Stubbs have that do we think?

Just watched a programme about Hitzfeld. Paul Lambert said that he never saw him lose his temper whilst he was playing under him.

The hair dryer treatment has no place in modern football (or life).

Hibbyradge
29-07-2014, 08:49 PM
The hair dryer treatment has no place in modern football (or life).

:top marks

emerald green
29-07-2014, 08:50 PM

Fine by me, but I would really like someone / anyone? who knows for sure to answer my question if they can, i.e. the one about who else, apart from Rod Petrie, was responsible for recommending the appointment of Butcher & Malpas. Or are those individuals keeping their heads down?

I'm all in favour of getting behind the new coaching team and CEO and the good work they have done since taking over. However, those that ignore history are in danger of repeating the same mistakes.

Forza Fred
29-07-2014, 08:55 PM

I too posted warnings and quotes based on his time in Sydney, where he was seen as a Neanderthal, but received pelters for it.

Having said that, when he came I was of the opinion that perhaps we had a case of 'the right man at the right time' but that gradually became evident that it was not the case.

In fairness to Petrie, there is no magic formula when it comes to picking a manager.....it in some instances can be just a matter of chemistry.....like when Tony Mowbray came.

Ozyhibby
29-07-2014, 08:58 PM
I was delighted with the Butcher appointment - I've never been more wrong in my life!

In Alan Stubbs We Trust

After Butcher, no Hibs manager will have have my trust until it's been fully earned.

NadeAteMyLunch!
29-07-2014, 09:13 PM
A mitigated disaster from the start. Gutted he got anywhere near our great club. Even more gutted that we are still paying him. Awful.

I trust Robbo as much as anyone in our squad so I'll take his word for it. Pretty evident that Butcher and Malpas were utterly horrific in every way

BoomtownHibees
29-07-2014, 09:15 PM
Any chance we can stop calling him "Robbo"?

Ross89
29-07-2014, 09:32 PM

:fishin:

Crossgates Hibs
29-07-2014, 09:43 PM

Read his book he hates losing think if his instructions are not followed he will not be slow in telling them.

Speedway
29-07-2014, 09:45 PM

We'll give him his proper nickname at EM then, 'John'.

kaimendhibs
29-07-2014, 09:58 PM
Having read this thread, I feel that to say I hate butcher and malpas would be a huge understatement! Glad they are gone and hope they never work in football again

Hibbyradge
29-07-2014, 10:10 PM

Any chance we can stop calling them Hibeys?

BoomtownHibees
29-07-2014, 10:12 PM
Any chance we can stop calling them Hibeys?

Afraid not.

Are you really a 'radge'?

Hibbyradge
29-07-2014, 10:15 PM
Afraid not.

Are you really a 'radge'?

A Radgey. :greengrin

BoomtownHibees
29-07-2014, 10:19 PM
A Radgey. :greengrin

Lol. Hibbyradgey!!!

RIP
29-07-2014, 10:37 PM
I've said it time and time again that Petrie did not recruit six duds.

Just as Geoff and Steve Brown at Saints didn't recruit four superstars

dp00
30-07-2014, 12:00 AM
Never mind the players , even the staff at Easter road hated malpas

hibsdownunder
30-07-2014, 01:14 AM
We seem to be falling into the trap again of blaming the last management team and ignoring our broader failings - having done this with Fenlon, calderwood, yogi and mixu I think we're missing the point - TB and MM went in with a strong agenda to stamp out the weaknesses in our club at the footballing level. Can't remember too many people not agreeing with this - as another poster alluded to their approach was one dimensional and almost killed the patient but in many ways it had to be done.

Hope is that Stubbs will benefit from the ruthlessness shown by our previous management team and more importantly the changes in leadership at the club. If these leadership changes are not real we could in a few months end up berating Stubbs as a failure for being too weak, inexperienced, being too easy on the players at training etc etc and missing the real point which is that hibs need/needed a complete change in at all levels. Unless this happens the football side will continue to struggle as we trade one manager/footballing philosophy for another.

Optimistic that the will for change is there - I've stuck $50 on us to win the league -:)

Mr White
30-07-2014, 08:02 PM

I'd love it if scott robertson scored a winner in a derby and we sang Who put the ball in the jambos net? robbo robbo. It would wind them up big time. Of course I'd settle for any of our players scoring a winner there in august.

Paisley Hibby
30-07-2014, 09:10 PM
We seem to be falling into the trap again of blaming the last management team and ignoring our broader failings - having done this with Fenlon, calderwood, yogi and mixu I think we're missing the point - TB and MM went in with a strong agenda to stamp out the weaknesses in our club at the footballing level. Can't remember too many people not agreeing with this - as another poster alluded to their approach was one dimensional and almost killed the patient but in many ways it had to be done.

Hope is that Stubbs will benefit from the ruthlessness shown by our previous management team and more importantly the changes in leadership at the club. If these leadership changes are not real we could in a few months end up berating Stubbs as a failure for being too weak, inexperienced, being too easy on the players at training etc etc and missing the real point which is that hibs need/needed a complete change in at all levels. Unless this happens the football side will continue to struggle as we trade one manager/footballing philosophy for another.

Optimistic that the will for change is there - I've stuck $50 on us to win the league -:)

This, except IMO, losing 1-0 at home to DUFC and then drawing 0-0 with East Fife gives no great grounds for optimism. I hope I'm wrong and you win your bet :greengrin