PDA

View Full Version : Firepower and Creativity We Are Still Well Short...

smurf
28-07-2014, 08:36 PM
My fear is that we are going to play some nice pretty stuff but with not enough end product. I see no evidence to suggest we will create and convert.

We need creativity and firepower so hope that's where we are looking to recruit.

danhibees1875
28-07-2014, 08:43 PM
I would say that Harris, Stanton, Allan, Craig, Todd and handling are all players in the 'creative midfielder' role.

We've almost done a complete opposite of a few seasons ago when all we had was defensive midfielders.

I think we need another striker though.

madhibby
28-07-2014, 08:53 PM
My fear is that we are going to play some nice pretty stuff but with not enough end product. I see no evidence to suggest we will create and convert.

We need creativity and firepower so hope that's where we are looking to recruit.

I agree. The Dundee Untd game reminded me of lots of games last season (altho the football was better).

We couldn’t find the killer pass or get players behind their defence and we didn’t really work the goalie much. I thought Untd looked more incisive and despite our pretty football looked more likely to open us up than we did them. Once we lost the goal we never really looked like equalising and they might have got a second.

I know its only a friendly but still too many Hibs players dont make forward runs nor seem to have the belief that we can win games?

bingo70
28-07-2014, 09:01 PM
I've not seen any pre season games but I'd imagine most would agree with the op.

Probably including Stubbs if he was to read it.

Ringothedog
28-07-2014, 09:23 PM

I think we will create loads unfortunately our firepower is currently injured.

Hermit Crab
28-07-2014, 09:28 PM

Mind heff is still to return and also I reckon we will see another striker come in, still over a month before window shuts.

PatHead
28-07-2014, 09:29 PM
Players still seem scared to shoot. Harris had one go yesterday but didn't on two or three other occassions

Scouse Hibee
28-07-2014, 09:30 PM
Is there still no sign of any Everton players joining us?

Hibs90
28-07-2014, 09:33 PM
Is there still no sign of any Everton players joining us?
3 turned up at training today apparently. :agree:

Diclonius
28-07-2014, 09:33 PM
I have no idea if El Alagui is a good striker or not based on yesterday, because he had no service. James Collins anyone?

I'd imagine Stubbs knows we need a link between midfield and attack to give a result to the promising play we put in yesterday. Here's hoping he can get in a couple players that can fit that role.

Scouse Hibee
28-07-2014, 09:36 PM
3 turned up at training today apparently. :agree:

:aok:

Jonnyboy
28-07-2014, 09:37 PM
I agree. The Dundee Untd game reminded me of lots of games last season (altho the football was better).

We couldn’t find the killer pass or get players behind their defence and we didn’t really work the goalie much. I thought Untd looked more incisive and despite our pretty football looked more likely to open us up than we did them. Once we lost the goal we never really looked like equalising and they might have got a second.

I know its only a friendly but still too many Hibs players dont make forward runs nor seem to have the belief that we can win games?

I understand your point but in no way was Sunday's play anything like what we watched last season :greengrin

smurf
28-07-2014, 09:59 PM
I understand your point but in no way was Sunday's play anything like what we watched last season :greengrin

I'd agree with that. Better than Fenlon's horrible version of the beautiful game and much much better than Butcher's criminality.

MG1965
28-07-2014, 10:19 PM
I have no idea if El Alagui is a good striker or not based on yesterday, because he had no service. James Collins anyone?

I'd imagine Stubbs knows we need a link between midfield and attack to give a result to the promising play we put in yesterday. Here's hoping he can get in a couple players that can fit that role.

Totally agree that we need to give better opportunities for our strikers, still think El Alagui will come good, proven forward at this level and he will score loads when given more chances as most decent strikers do.

Diclonius
28-07-2014, 11:20 PM
Totally agree that we need to give better opportunities for our strikers, still think El Alagui will come good, proven forward at this level and he will score loads when given more chances as most decent strikers do.

Me too. I hope he's given the chance. :aok:

macd123
29-07-2014, 12:14 AM

I really think we have bags of creativity. We just need a winger with pace to make some runs and things should come together.

Just_Jimmy
29-07-2014, 12:45 AM
Mcfadden would fit that role.

SanFranHibs
29-07-2014, 07:44 AM
Mind heff is still to return and also I reckon we will see another striker come in, still over a month before window shuts.

Hefferan is overworking the poor guy!

If Heffernan continues to be plagued with injuries we should let him go. You cannot build a team to accomodate players who are at the table and on the couch more than Onslow. :wink:

Although I was not at the pre-season games it does seem that we are short of being a good Championship team. It is good that our defence seems to be better organized but without the goals at the other end we obviously won't be challenging for the title.

Of course, it is still very early days for Stubbs but I think we all know he does not have much to work with as of yet.

When is transfer deadline day? (Just looked it up) 23:00 BST on Monday, 1 September.

HappyAsHellas
29-07-2014, 08:49 AM
Hefferan is overworking the poor guy!

If Heffernan continues to be plagued with injuries we should let him go. You cannot build a team to accomodate players who are at the table and on the couch more than Onslow. :wink:

Although I was not at the pre-season games it does seem that we are short of being a good Championship team. It is good that our defence seems to be better organized but without the goals at the other end we obviously won't be challenging for the title.

Of course, it is still very early days for Stubbs but I think we all know he does not have much to work with as of yet.

When is transfer deadline day? (Just looked it up) 23:00 BST on Monday, 1 September.

I would argue against that on the basis of seeing the players getting used to an entirely different and much better playing style. We were more than a match for top premier club until the raft of changes and switch in formation. AS seems to be letting players realise their full potential, and whilst another couple of quality players are welcome to any team, I would still fancy us to do very well at the level we are at.

Expecting Rain
29-07-2014, 08:53 AM
Playing football in games is the correct way but it had to be done with a bit of zip, otherwise it will be ball retension and nothing else.

southern hibby
29-07-2014, 08:59 AM
I would argue against that on the basis of seeing the players getting used to an entirely different and much better playing style. We were more than a match for top premier club until the raft of changes and switch in formation. AS seems to be letting players realise their full potential, and whilst another couple of quality players are welcome to any team, I would still fancy us to do very well at the level we are at.

I would say we will do well as you have. Please don't think I'm being negative here. As soon as we get injuries, suspensions we will struggle. Heff and Cummings are crooked already. Yes both should be back soon but it just proves without another 3-5 players coming I'n we will struggle to score.

GGTTH

GreenCastle
29-07-2014, 08:59 AM

:agree:

Stubbs has got us playing a different sport this season - compared to Butchers hoofball.

Though for it to truly click we need real creativity and more goals from up top / outwide.

It's been a problem the last few years and LG got us out a few holes but we need more consistent goal returns from our middle / front players.

easty
29-07-2014, 09:16 AM
Mcfadden would fit that role.

:agree: He really would. Played just in the hole behind El Alagui he would be good, but I dont see it happening.

jacomo
29-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Players still seem scared to shoot. Harris had one go yesterday but didn't on two or three other occassions

Lack of goals was the problem all last season. Lack of goals from anyone other than Leigh Griffiths has been a problem for longer than that.

It will take a little time for scoring goals to become a habit again. The players are currently adapting to a new coach and a new (better) way of playing. I agree we do need another striker though... hopefully Alagui will settle quickly but we could do with someone else to share the responsibility. Him + Heff + Cummings + AN Other sounds good.

EDIT: I forgot Handling in the mix here too, although I still think we need another.

NAE NOOKIE
29-07-2014, 11:04 AM
After about 70 minutes on Sunday this is kind of what I thought as well and I said so on the match thread.

We passed the ball pretty well and held on to it well too. But football is about scoring goals and to do that on a regular basis you need to get round the defence and get players into the box. We rarely did that even though we had about 65% possession of the ball.

We worked the Utd keeper about 3 times. The two which stood out were the shot from Harris, which he created himself and the offside goal, which came at the end of a nice passage of play .... but even then the cross was made from about 10 yards outside the box at about a 45 degree angle, which more often than not is meat and drink to defenders.

Theres no doubt the football is better, but we have lots of work to do to come up with a solution to our long standing problems creating in the final third.

leggeto
29-07-2014, 06:16 PM
A player like latapy would be nice

Smartie
29-07-2014, 06:33 PM
A player like latapy would be nice

A player anywhere near the quality of Latapy would be nice. I get the feeling that it's the Latapy role that Allan's been signed to play.

I still reckon we're a wee bit short of pace in the final 3rd, we'd have nowt if Harris got injured again. That said, I've liked the look of Max Todd in pre-season, would be good to see him force his way into the team.

GoldenEagle
29-07-2014, 06:39 PM
Dundee United ST holder was raving sbout Scott Allan today, thought he was excellent and cant believe that we managed to sign him

AL-Qaholik
30-07-2014, 08:40 PM
Lack of cutting edge & creativity is a VERY serious concern!
The lack of both cost us dear last season and nothing seems to have changed whatsoever in the build up for this season!
Striker, winger and attacking midfielder MUST be signed before Greyskull!

Ozyhibby
30-07-2014, 08:45 PM
We are going to struggle big time unless we sign a striker.

Borderhibbie76
30-07-2014, 08:48 PM
Lack of cutting edge & creativity is a VERY serious concern!
The lack of both cost us dear last season and nothing seems to have changed whatsoever in the build up for this season!
Striker, winger and attacking midfielder MUST be signed before Greyskull!
We dont need an attacking midfielder mate...scott allan will play that role once settled. But I agree we need another striker (hopefully hallam hope) and pacy winger.

bigwheel
30-07-2014, 08:49 PM
Come on, we are creating more chances than a long time - and since when have pre season result ever given an indication of the season ahead ...let's wait for two things 1) how we get on in the first set or competitive games and. 2) what squad we end up with on 31st August ...

AL-Qaholik
30-07-2014, 08:50 PM
Come on, we are creating more chances than a long time - and since when have pre season result ever given an indication of the season ahead ...let's wait for two things 1) how we get on in the first set or competitive games and. 2) what squad we end up with on 31st August ...

We could be 9pts behind by the 31st of August - and we will, unless we score goals...

bigwheel
30-07-2014, 08:59 PM
We could be 9pts behind by the 31st of August - and we will, unless we score goals...

Pure hypothetical thinking - it's where we are in May that counts not end of August - there no prizes for "Winning August "

eastterrace
30-07-2014, 09:10 PM
Pure hypothetical thinking - it's where we are in May that counts not end of August - there no prizes for "Winning August "

well if were 9 points behind at end off august then we wont be anywhere by end of may.

Ronniekirk
30-07-2014, 09:27 PM
While I am not over the moon we haven't scored in our last three games Stubbs has made it clear he sees Heff as a proven goalscorer but he will need game time to get match fit .He has tied up the promise of Cummings but he is injured .So think he will be looking at what he thinks he needs after Rangers game
However to start talking about us losing our first three league games is defeatist . We will bring in more signings .

AL-Qaholik
30-07-2014, 09:33 PM
While I am not over the moon we haven't scored in our last three games Stubbs has made it clear he sees Heff as a proven goalscorer but he will need game time to get match fit .He has tied up the promise of Cummings but he is injured .So think he will be looking at what he thinks he needs after Rangers game
However to start talking about us losing our first three league games is defeatist . We will bring in more signings .

Heffernan is never fit, Cummings has 2 goals to his name and El Alagui (although he took his offside goal well) hasn't done anything yet to suggest he'll make the difference.

Lack of goals cost us so dearly last season that I simply cannot believe we're going into the new season with so few true goalscoring options at the club.

Losing to Rangers, Livi & Hearts in the first three games is absolutely possible (especially if we dont score) and after that confidence on the pitch & in the stands will disintegrate again.

We simply HAVE to hit the ground running - and that means bringing in a proven quality goalscorer and a shed load of creativity between now & Tuesday...

sesoim
30-07-2014, 09:42 PM
Heffernan is never fit, Cummings has 2 goals to his name and El Alagui (although he took his offside goal well) hasn't done anything yet to suggest he'll make the difference.

Lack of goals cost us so dearly last season that I simply cannot believe we're going into the new season with so few true goalscoring options at the club.

Losing to Rangers, Livi & Hearts in the first three games is absolutely possible (especially if we dont score) and after that confidence on the pitch & in the stands will disintegrate again.

We simply HAVE to hit the ground running - and that means bringing in a proven quality goalscorer and a shed load of creativity between now & Tuesday...

:agree: Totally agree. I think Stubbs wants to see how we get on in a couple of competitive games before he signs anyone else, but as you say, we could lose a bit of ground, and losing to Hearts in particular could set us right back.

bigwheel
30-07-2014, 09:45 PM
well if were 9 points behind at end off august then we wont be anywhere by end of may.

theres one thing for sure, no one will run away with this league...every team will drop points, against a range of teams...I'd be happy to be 9 points of the pace by xmas...we would still be fully in the mix...it's 2 from 4 who could go up this year....

wills
​could we make a move for Michael Higdon, a different attacking option

bigwheel
​could we make a move for Michael Higdon, a different attacking option

no...out of our price league

sesoim
30-07-2014, 09:47 PM
Before last season started, I remember saying on this site that I thought we'd struggle to score 30 League goals. Well, we ended up scoring 31 and that ultimately got us relegated. I know we are in a weaker league, but I can't see the squad we currently have knocking in more than 50. To finish anywhere near 1st place, we'd need to knock in at least 70, so unless we can find someone soon who can add another 20+ goals to the team whether through scoring or assists, we might as well forget any pretense that we are going for 1st.

wills
30-07-2014, 09:56 PM
no...out of our price league

You're probably right but he would be good for Alagui

Unseen work
30-07-2014, 09:58 PM
Before last season started, I remember saying on this site that I thought we'd struggle to score 30 League goals. Well, we ended up scoring 31 and that ultimately got us relegated. I know we are in a weaker league, but I can't see the squad we currently have knocking in more than 50. To finish anywhere near 1st place, we'd need to knock in at least 70, so unless we can find someone soon who can add another 20+ goals to the team whether through scoring or assists, we might as well forget any pretense that we are going for 1st.

were not conceeding though, thats the biggest difference

BOB MARLEYS DUG
30-07-2014, 09:59 PM
Hallam Hope and James McFaddden please Alan.

Liberal Hibby
30-07-2014, 10:01 PM

Really? We were 7 points clear of relegation at the start of May...

lumbo_hfc
30-07-2014, 10:11 PM
You're probably right but he would be good for Alagui
Good for el alagui because then we would have 2 forwards who can't run instead of 1?? Take the pressure off him i suppose......

were not conceeding though, thats the biggest differencepat fenlons team last season wasn't conceding many, never did him any good!

Ronniekirk
30-07-2014, 10:40 PM

Well we won't be bringing in shed lloads of creativity by next Tuesday I am surprised there haven't been more Trialists as do agree we need to strengthen I can't see Us managing to get two or three of evertons best youngsters but will wait and see on that one

PeterboroHibee
31-07-2014, 07:05 AM

Heffernan isnt someone we can rely on. Hes generally struggled with injuries since he has been here, and at 32/33, I cant see that improving.

How we do in friendlies isnt something that really concerns me (its mainly a fitness and gelling exercise), but it is a bit worrying that we seem to struggle to score goals. Next week is going to be the real test as to where we are now under Stubbs and the signings we need. Ill be slightly disappointed if the solution to that is viewed as some youngsters on loan though.

DH1875
31-07-2014, 08:34 AM
I like Heff and he will score goals in this league when he's playing BUT that's the problem. How many games is he gonna play. At this stage I'll say not enough so we defo should be getting another striker in.

Smartie
31-07-2014, 09:01 AM
So we're certainly not scoring enough goals.

But is it creativity, firepower or both that we are lacking?

We hit the bar twice (?) last night? A few inches away from 2 goals. One tidy goal that was offside on Sunday.

Are we creating enough chances to win games? If we can't score against East Fife and Dunfermline then what else are we going to have to do against teams from a higher division?

GreenCastle
04-08-2014, 09:16 AM
First game of the season tomorrow night and still don't think we have addressed this issue.

Hope I am wrong but it's been an issue last few seasons - against better teams we will need to break them down with something out of ordinary.