PDA

View Full Version : Now that we have a Goalkeeper...

BOB MARLEYS DUG
28-07-2014, 12:03 PM
What other positions would you say we still need players in for? Another striker and winger, perhaps?

Onceinawhile
28-07-2014, 12:10 PM
Centre back, winger and striker for me. Unless we are going to play Stanton wide, in which case I'd say we need another "number 10".

BVB Hibs
28-07-2014, 12:16 PM
Center Back, Left Back, Winger. Don't really see the need for another striker if we're going to be spending most of the time with 1 up front. FEA will play most of the games, and when Cummings and Heff are back we really have enough cover there. We have 4 strikers, don't see the need for much more unless he's going to be a goal machine.

Another Left back would be nice. It leaves Stevenson on the bench to act as a utility sub. Being able to play in midfield, on the wing or at left back is a big advantage I reckon, rather see him in a role where he can be used all around the park. I know Booth is capable there in fairness though.

TheFamous1875
28-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Centre back and a winger. Winger being the most urgent.

Someone senior who can take the pressure off Harris and show him how it's done. A Higgenbotham type, dynamic, to the by-line, influence the tine and pace of the game.

I'd like another centre back, but with Nelson still here I can't see it happening. He's a reliable, old fashioned centre back who can tackle the ball. He's the embodiment of "does exactly what it says on the tin", so I can't see anyone else coming in. We also have young Gardiner who has seemed to impress and I would expect him to get a chance this season at some point as Stubbs' history is in developing youth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

S4uzee
28-07-2014, 12:34 PM
Centre back, left back, winger, striker. Would even be tempted to say another central midfielder as don't like the thought of the Robertson/Craig partnership again

AL-Qaholik
28-07-2014, 12:35 PM
Centre back, left back, winger, striker, back up keeper.
Could do with a proper defensive midfielder to allow Craig to push forward and to make sure OTJ never plays for us again...

hfc-1875
28-07-2014, 12:42 PM
Why is everyone so adamant we need another striker? We already have El alagui, heffernan and Cummings with young Allan too. Would say we need a winger and maybe a defensive mid as I don't think Craig suits a defensive midfield role. Another cb too.

Dashing Bob S
28-07-2014, 12:45 PM
Not sure about the centre-back. Definitely when we are back in the Premier next season, but Hanlon, Foster and Nelson perfectly adequate at this level.

Keith_M
28-07-2014, 12:46 PM
...who is only here on a six month Loan, we need to be looking at finding a Goalkeeper from January onwards.

Also, a prolific striker would be nice. Somebody a bit like Griffiths maybe.

Paloschi
28-07-2014, 12:46 PM
What other positions would you say we still need players in for? Another striker and winger, perhaps?

In order of importance:

Centre Half
Playmaker
Holding Midfielder
Striker

Brightside
28-07-2014, 12:47 PM
We need another attacking mid. And someone who can win the ball in midfield and drive at the opposition.

hfc rd
28-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Got a feeling we will sign a CB and ST and won't be surprised if Stubbs decided to wrap it up after that. Hope I'm wrong though.

hfc-1875
28-07-2014, 12:49 PM
We need another attacking mid. And someone who can win the ball in midfield and drive at the opposition.

Another attacking mid? We already have Stanton, Allen and Craig.

silverhibee
28-07-2014, 12:51 PM

Another goalkeeper in January.

Northernhibee
28-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Two players with real pace.

we are hibs
28-07-2014, 12:55 PM
Centre back, winger, striker.

Brightside
28-07-2014, 12:59 PM

Craig had played as holding mid in the games so far. Allen played that role when he came on.

inglisavhibs
28-07-2014, 01:02 PM

Wide midfielder and left back, both with a bit of pace and strength.

R11Loaded
28-07-2014, 01:05 PM
Centre back and winger, although a winger is what I'd rather sign incase Harris bottles it again

QMU-1875
28-07-2014, 01:11 PM
Was impressed with the ginger lad who came on yesterday. Anymore info on him?

DarrenSQH
28-07-2014, 01:12 PM
Striker

Big_Franck
28-07-2014, 01:19 PM
For me a centre half and a quick winger are what we need most. We still have little to no pace in the team and this is something we need to address. An injury to Forster or Hanlon and we would have to play Nelson, something I don't want to see again. Another centre half would also give us the option of putting Forster back to right back should Gray's form dip.

IMO we also need another striker and a defensive midfielder, but maybe that's me being greedy.

Anyway, the squad is starting to take shape and things are looking up :gwa:

B.H.F.C
28-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Striker. Keep reading people saying we have cover in that position. What we have is someone in Heffernan who is never fit. Cummings who is very raw and has two goals to his name. Handling who has 2 goals and is now entering his third season. Think Farid will do well but I want someone else up there so we don't end up down the same road as last year.

Centre back and a winger for me as well.

Smartie
28-07-2014, 01:22 PM
I honestly think we're just about there, but it's been our lack of pace and creativity from out wide that has been our biggest problem in recent years imo.

Injuries to Harris and Cairney were crippling last year as there was nobody who could step into their positions.

TheFamous1875
28-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Ideally: winger, centre half, defensive mid, striker, another right-back.

Realistically: winger, centre half, striker

Most importantly: winger.

We have Stevenson and Tudur a Jones (allegedly) who can play the CDM role. Craig can moonlight, and Allan the deep-lying playmaker.

We have Stanton, Handling and Cummings who can fill in on the wing, but it's not really their position.

And up top, we have El-Alagui and possibly Heffernan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Brightside
28-07-2014, 01:29 PM
I think 3 will join this week. ST/AM, CM, CH/RB :wink:

cmcd
28-07-2014, 01:44 PM
Centre back and winger, although a winger is what I'd rather sign incase Harris bottles it again
Incase Harris Bottles it again Are you for real Harris is a young man who had a serious injury and was brought back into the team far too early Have you watched him in pre-season Only my opinion but i think a few posters on here will be eating humble pie come the end of the season

R11Loaded
28-07-2014, 02:11 PM
Incase Harris Bottles it again Are you for real Harris is a young man who had a serious injury and was brought back into the team far too early Have you watched him in pre-season Only my opinion but i think a few posters on here will be eating humble pie come the end of the season

I didn't say he looked bad in pre season, haven't seen him. He still looks half paced.

He wasn't looking good before his injury and really he only had one or two good games and everyone hailed him as a messiah. He wasn't doing anything vs Motherwell until he got injured. And he came back into the team possibly early but he was still so low on confidence every tackle every opportunity he passed up. I hope he's changed.

macd123
28-07-2014, 02:26 PM

And handling, harris and robertson can play there. We have loads of attacking midfielders but only one defensive midfielder and one winger.

BT58
28-07-2014, 02:37 PM
would that be the toffees,,,:wink::wink::wink::greengrin:greengrin

HibbyAndy
28-07-2014, 02:42 PM
Not sure about the centre-back. Definitely when we are back in the Premier next season, but Hanlon, Foster and Nelson perfectly adequate at this level.

Correct.

We need a LB another striker and a pacy direct skin people kinda winger.

cmcd
28-07-2014, 03:12 PM
Correct.

We need a LB another striker and a pacy direct skin people kinda winger.
Why do we need a LB ? Both Stevenson and Booth played well enough yesterday Money could be spent on other positions

HibbyAndy
28-07-2014, 03:45 PM
Why do we need a LB ? Both Stevenson and Booth played well enough yesterday Money could be spent on other positions

Forgot about Booth :aok:

:greengrin

Eyrie
28-07-2014, 04:11 PM
In order of priority - winger, quick striker and a left sided CH who can play LB.

Skol
28-07-2014, 04:58 PM
I dont get the need for a centre half......we have Hanlon, nelson and Foster which is plenty for the level we are at.

Left Back remains an uncertainty, but on the face of it we have Booth and Stevenson, which should be acceptable.

Up front we have el alagui, but Cummings and heffernan injured - and not sure we can count on them....A striker for me is a must...

Also a must is a back up goalie or even a first choice goalie.

Winger is also important, harris needs cover if he starts like he ended last season. and Right back doesnt have cover unless we count Foster

Smartie
28-07-2014, 05:02 PM
The more I think of it, the more I am surprised that we didn't go for Coulson.

I liked the look of him during the first half at Dunfermline and as a player who was quick and could provide cover at both fullback and wide midfield, he would fit the bill as almost exactly what we were looking for.

Borderhibbie76
28-07-2014, 07:34 PM
Another goalkeeper in January.
What part of "with a view to year long loan in January" aren't u understanding? He is Hull's 4th choice keeper and barring a gk crisis there he will be with us till Summer...should his performance merit it!!

Tyler Durden
28-07-2014, 07:50 PM
I didn't say he looked bad in pre season, haven't seen him. He still looks half paced.

He wasn't looking good before his injury and really he only had one or two good games and everyone hailed him as a messiah. He wasn't doing anything vs Motherwell until he got injured. And he came back into the team possibly early but he was still so low on confidence every tackle every opportunity he passed up. I hope he's changed.

Virtually every point you make is incorrect. You haven't seen him but he looks half paced?

He wasn't looking good before his injury? It was the first league game! He had scored in pre season.

Wasn't doing anything vs Motherwell? He set up a good chance for Liam Craig and looked our biggest threat.

Attitudes like yours will help him get back to top form though.

R11Loaded
28-07-2014, 08:57 PM
Virtually every point you make is incorrect. You haven't seen him but he looks half paced?

He wasn't looking good before his injury? It was the first league game! He had scored in pre season.

Wasn't doing anything vs Motherwell? He set up a good chance for Liam Craig and looked our biggest threat.

Attitudes like yours will help him get back to top form though.

I was actually including the short spell from before last season. Where he looked willing and had pace. He was still hugely over rated by fans.

Against Motherwell he repeatedly lost the ball and looked found out, Infact I think if you scroll through these very forums you'll see people saying exactly that too.

I haven't seen him but even in clips of him scoring this pre season he still doesn't look anywhere near as fast as 2012/13 spell. Maybe he'll surprise me by being faster than ever.

Attitudes like mine? All I said was we should get another winger incase he performs exactly the same as last season. There's no place for sentiment in football. I had and have high hopes for Alex, but this season is monumental for his career and if he plays the way I saw him playing last season his career could easily be over. Wind it in. Opinions aren't fact so you are in no place to tell someone everything they believe is incorrect it's a football forum, people are entitled to view things differently.

down-the-slope
28-07-2014, 09:02 PM
winger (left...or ideally both footed) - with pace AND crossing ability....if they can chip in a few goals too all the better :greengrin

heretoday
28-07-2014, 09:15 PM
We need cover in all positions. I'd say, especially defence. I am not confident with Nelson and Hanlon.

eastterrace
28-07-2014, 09:17 PM
I was actually including the short spell from before last season. Where he looked willing and had pace. He was still hugely over rated by fans.

Against Motherwell he repeatedly lost the ball and looked found out, Infact I think if you scroll through these very forums you'll see people saying exactly that too.

I haven't seen him but even in clips of him scoring this pre season he still doesn't look anywhere near as fast as 2012/13 spell. Maybe he'll surprise me by being faster than ever.

Attitudes like mine? All I said was we should get another winger incase he performs exactly the same as last season. There's no place for sentiment in football. I had and have high hopes for Alex, but this season is monumental for his career and if he plays the way I saw him playing last season his career could easily be over. Wind it in. Opinions aren't fact so you are in no place to tell someone everything they believe is incorrect it's a football forum, people are entitled to view things differently.

well said mate, its a forum but you better not disagree with some folk on here.

Hibeesmad
28-07-2014, 09:28 PM

Matthew Pennington and Conor Grant possibly involved there? 😉

Brightside
28-07-2014, 09:35 PM
We need cover in all positions. I'd say, especially defence. I am not confident with Nelson and Hanlon.

Not confident with both players together or with either player? Hanlon hasn't put a foot wrong since he came back and is the best CH in the league. Anyone who actually watches Hibs fancy making a comment? :rolleyes:

R11Loaded
28-07-2014, 09:47 PM
well said mate, its a forum but you better not disagree with some folk on here.

I'm not a bitter person, I'm not blind to he obvious. If Alex Harris when he plays is a quick fearless winger then I'll be delighted.

But I agree, some people just won't listen to the opposite

Tyler Durden
29-07-2014, 06:19 AM

Of course people are entitled to their opinion but I'm also entitled to question their rationale. You didn't think Harris was good in his spell where he broke through. Despite great performances in wins against Killie away, Hearts and Tynie and of course the Falkirk semi to name just a few? Well fair enough, I don't agree with you at all.

You can continue to question or criticise him but you admit you've not even seen him in pre season - latest game where he was awarded MOTM.

IanM
29-07-2014, 06:29 AM
What we need is someone to create chances for our strikers. Collins last season was limited to a couple chances per game, if that.. We solve that problem we could last with what we have until January in the strikers department them revaluate

Tricky winger being the type of player we don't have and desperately need

R11Loaded
29-07-2014, 08:08 AM
Of course people are entitled to their opinion but I'm also entitled to question their rationale. You didn't think Harris was good in his spell where he broke through. Despite great performances in wins against Killie away, Hearts and Tynie and of course the Falkirk semi to name just a few? Well fair enough, I don't agree with you at all.

You can continue to question or criticise him but you admit you've not even seen him in pre season - latest game where he was awarded MOTM.

I didn't say he was looking poor, because I can't judge yet. But he looked like he still hasn't got his pace back which is what set him apart.

blackpoolhibs
29-07-2014, 08:20 AM
In terms of importance in my opinion, centre half, left sided wide player, forward, and left back.

BSEJVT
29-07-2014, 09:44 AM
For me it would be:

Centre Forward

Left Winger

Either or preferably both with pace

Someone to play in a role like Latapy did behind the forwards. (Before I get ripped to bits I know we wont get anyone remotely approaching Latapy's ability!)

I am less concerned with the defence / defensive midfield as we have enough bodies for these areas and someone can always fill in.

IMO we have lacked a real goal threat / pace for far too long.

PatHead
29-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Must admit the player we really need is a leader, someone who drives the team on and picks heads up when a goal is scored against us. The lack of motivation on the pitch has been noticeable for a long time. We need someone who is not Mr Nice Guy.

HFC 0-7
29-07-2014, 01:44 PM
Creative attacking midfielder otherwise we will end up with lots of possession with no where to go. Another striker as well!

sesoim
29-07-2014, 11:28 PM
Why is everyone so adamant we need another striker? We already have El alagui, heffernan and Cummings with young Allan too. Would say we need a winger and maybe a defensive mid as I don't think Craig suits a defensive midfield role. Another cb too.

Probably because Cummings has never scored a league goal, ever, and Heffernan is injured most of the time. We definitely need another striker - arguably two so that we have cover if we end up playing two up front some weeks.

sesoim
29-07-2014, 11:30 PM
Centre back, left back, winger, striker. Would even be tempted to say another central midfielder as don't like the thought of the Robertson/Craig partnership again

:agree: We might just get away without signing a left back but I agree about the rest. And the idea of watching Craig and Robertson reunited in midfield again makes me feel ill.

Heisenberg
29-07-2014, 11:34 PM
Centre half, Winger, Right back.

sesoim
29-07-2014, 11:38 PM
And handling, harris and robertson can play there. We have loads of attacking midfielders but only one defensive midfielder and one winger.

Defensive midfield is the easiest position to fill, because defenders can move into that position if needs be. I would only sign a new DM if he can offer something extra, like a few long range goals, or a real winning mentality.

We definitely need people who can score goals and unlock defences. Most of the youngsters we have that are meant to do that failed miserably last season, even against the weakest SPL teams.

Sir David Gray
29-07-2014, 11:47 PM
I think we need at least another 3 or 4 players brought in.

Iain G
30-07-2014, 05:08 AM
Central defender who can cover right back
Striker
Wide player with some pace

Would do for me

Michael
30-07-2014, 05:39 AM
Defensive midfield is the easiest position to fill, because defenders can move into that position if needs be. I would only sign a new DM if he can offer something extra, like a few long range goals, or a real winning mentality.

We definitely need people who can score goals and unlock defences. Most of the youngsters we have that are meant to do that failed miserably last season, even against the weakest SPL teams.

I disagree about defensive midfielder. Would you really want Nelson playing in that roll? If you picked Hanlon for the job you'd badly weaken the back two. And if you chose Forster you'd need to play Nelson in defence.

As for fullbacks, Stevenson is pretty small, usually you would want someone a bit bigger for DM. And as for gray, we don't have any right back cover.

DH1875
30-07-2014, 08:01 AM
A new CH is a must and a new striker wouldnt go a miss either. I'd quite like a new keeper in as well.

DH1875
30-07-2014, 08:06 AM
A new CH is a must and a new striker wouldnt go a miss either. I'd quite like a new keeper in as well.