PDA

View Full Version : James McDonaugh

Amit
26-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Has James left Hibs? Someone on Twitter said that Eddie May is replacing him.

Anyone else hear this?

ozzie
26-07-2014, 04:58 PM

Anyone else hear this?
There is something in it, James says he can't comment but he does not want to leave a club and job he loves.
I will be emailing the board if this is true, one positive step forward ome massive step back.

Weir7
26-07-2014, 05:55 PM

Anyone else hear this?

Sadly I'm hearing there is something in that. If it comes true then james is being harshly treated.

Positive note I believe bill hendry is away. He'll be replaced with new academy director. Ment to be may but deal stallef as he couldn't agree terms with rod.

Basically total backroom clearance.

But the real culprits for state of club petrie, o'hagan and non execs all remain in post.

ozzie
26-07-2014, 06:08 PM
I have emailed the board 're this situation expressing my concerns. The u20s have been the one shining light in what has been a torrid few seasons and a massive part of this was down to James. Thier style of play is exactly what we want to see from all teams at er.

Please feel free to email the board and let them know what you think of this situation.

Our loss will be another club's major gain and if I remember rightly hearts were looking to get him on board previously. He has a family to look after so you couldn't really blame him for think about going there if they offered if we have treated him this way. Even though he bleeds green and white.

TowerHibs
26-07-2014, 06:09 PM
Listen, I am not condoning this and no doubt James has been nothing short of tremendous for the club.

However, this is football and coaches & scouts know that they are 1st to go when there is regime change. Emailing the club and thinking you know best is a) a waste of time once the decision has been made b) take attention away from what can be a positive situation without knowing all the facts.

If true, thank you James for an outstanding service and I wish you well in what no doubt will be a fulfilling career. Football is a strange, strange business

ozzie
26-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Listen, I am not condoning this and no doubt James has been nothing short of tremendous for the club.

However, this is football and coaches & scouts know that they are 1st to go when there is regime change. Emailing the club and thinking you know best is a) a waste of time once the decision has been made b) take attention away from what can be a positive situation without knowing all the facts.

If true, thank you James for an outstanding service and I wish you well in what no doubt will be a fulfilling career. Football is a strange, strange business

Do you think if James was a first team manager and had the kind of season he had with the u20 teams last season he would be out a job just now.

Some people will know a lot of the facts and will know if this is or isn't a positive situation. Sorry no disrespect intended to Eddie may.

macd123
26-07-2014, 06:45 PM
Do you think if James was a first team manager and had the kind of season he had with the u20 teams last season he would be out a job just now.

Some people will know a lot of the facts and will know if this is or isn't a positive situation. Sorry no disrespect intended to Eddie may.

Presumably george craig and eddie may know each other from falkirk?

NathHFC
26-07-2014, 07:03 PM
James Mcdonaugh has not been relieved of his duties, as rumors would suggest. He has been asked to take a Significant Pay Cut which he is thinking about.

Hopefully he will stay with the Hibs Family as he has just moved to Tranent with his family and he would be a great loss to the club.
:flag::flag:

brog
26-07-2014, 07:05 PM
James Mcdonaugh has not been relieved of his duties, as rumors would suggest. He has been asked to take a Significant Pay Cut which he is thinking about.

Hopefully he will stay with the Hibs Family as he has just moved to Tranent with his family and he would be a great loss to the club.
:flag::flag:

Agree, hope he stays & can enhance his reputation further.

johnbc70
26-07-2014, 07:07 PM
If he can get a job elsewhere on same salary he is on now then he will be gone and who can blame him.

The goalie
26-07-2014, 07:08 PM
James has been told to re apply for his job, this would also be a change to his current terms and conditions, Bill Hendry has been offered a much reduced roll and will prob leave the club.

ozzie
26-07-2014, 07:19 PM
What other career would you be asked to take a large pay cut after a very successful year In you current position while at the same time your employers are bring in more back room staff than they have gotten rid off.

bingo70
26-07-2014, 07:23 PM
What other career would you be asked to take a large pay cut after a very successful year In you current position while at the same time your employers are bring in more back room staff than they have gotten rid off.

Would have thought it be quite normal for under performing businesses to re-structure. When that happens employees sometimes have to apply for their own job again and sometimes people take a job on a lower salary in order to keep a job.

The very same thing is happening in my work just now

ozzie
26-07-2014, 07:26 PM
Happens in my work from time to time but it's usually the under performing departments that are affected not the whole company.

sleeping giant
26-07-2014, 07:28 PM
Did his team not romp the leagues over the last 2 years ?
I should really know :greengrin

bingo70
26-07-2014, 07:32 PM
Happens in my work from time to time but it's usually the under performing departments that are affected not the whole company.

The youth department has been under performing. We've not brought a real quality player through for ages, since Fletch probably.

I know what you mean so I don't want to just be argumentative, I just don't think anybody at hibs job should be above question after our performance over the last 5 years

Iggy Pope
26-07-2014, 07:33 PM
Did his team not romp the leagues over the last 2 years ?
I should really know :greengrin

Well, no.

Golden Bear
26-07-2014, 07:34 PM
Ah, the old re designation of post trick. Accept or resign, it's a cruel world.

sleeping giant
26-07-2014, 07:38 PM
Well, no.

hmmm. Don't know where I got that then. I'm on my phone and can't be ersed to get off the couch and walk unto the kitchen to check on the laptop. :greengrin
Infact , spongebob has been paused on my telly for ages as I can't be ersed walking over to the other couch for the remote :greengrin

Anyway , I digress ....

Hibeesmad
26-07-2014, 07:40 PM
James doesn't deserve the boot and I doubt he is on an incredible wage anyway. If Eddie May was to come in then he could be paid by the departure of Bill Hendry. Losing James would be just wrong not just on a football perspective but also personal as he has put so much into this club

Scouse Hibee
26-07-2014, 07:42 PM
The club has to do what it thinks is best for the club just like any other business Some decisions will seem harsh, some will even seem to us to be totally wrong, however there will be a model that the club are trying to get to and after complaining for so long that so many things are wrong at our club we can't now complain about restructuring.

Iggy Pope
26-07-2014, 07:46 PM
hmmm. Don't know where I got that then. I'm on my phone and can't be ersed to get off the couch and walk unto the kitchen to check on the laptop. :greengrin
Infact , spongebob has been paused on my telly for ages as I can't be ersed walking over to the other couch for the remote :greengrin

Anyway , I digress ....

They won the EOS league 2 and League Cup last season but wont be competing in it again this year.

Missed out on the U-20 league (third I think) and haven't won it since the U-19s double in 2009. With a team that featured Callum Booth and David Wotherspoon. Before James McDonaughs time in charge.

sleeping giant
26-07-2014, 07:49 PM
They won the EOS league and League Cup last season but wont be competing in it again this year.

Missed out on the U-20 league (third I think) and haven't won it since the U-19s double in 2009. With a team that featured Callum Booth and David Wotherspoon. Before James McDonaughs time in charge.

Excellent. Thanks for the info.

It must have been that under 19's double I was thinking of. Can't believe that was 5 years ago.

ozzie
26-07-2014, 08:00 PM
James doesn't deserve the boot and I doubt he is on an incredible wage anyway. If Eddie May was to come in then he could be paid by the departure of Bill Hendry. Losing James would be just wrong not just on a football perspective but also personal as he has put so much into this club

100% agree

and although the u20s finished third they played good passing flowing football while the first team played hoof ball, so if players weren't breaking into the first team it may have been because they weren't fully training in hoof ball. I was also very impressed in the never say die attitude of the under 20's last year & the also wont the foyles cup comp two years in a row if im not mistaken.

lord bunberry
26-07-2014, 08:11 PM
If he's as good as some people are making out then why is he being sacked? I know nothing about the under 20s so i couldn't say whether he's doing a good job or not but I've seen some of the players that have come into the first team, they all look good technically but struggle with our brutal style of football of late. It seems strange that we've now got a manager who wants to play football and we get rid of him. Is the reason Stubbs just wants his own guys in, or is there more to it.

hibeegranny
26-07-2014, 08:13 PM
They won the EOS league 2 and League Cup last season but wont be competing in it again this year.

He may not have been in charge at that time but was fully committed and involved
a lot more than some at that time

BOB MARLEYS DUG
26-07-2014, 08:49 PM
Absolute terrible news.

Mikey09
26-07-2014, 08:49 PM
The youth department has been under performing. We've not brought a real quality player through for ages, since Fletch probably.

I know what you mean so I don't want to just be argumentative, I just don't think anybody at hibs job should be above question after our performance over the last 5 years

Sorry, i have to disagree. James has brought on a number of players good enough to play first team football.... It's our dumpling managers of late who have not given them a chance. The rare ones that they have played out of desperation have struggled with firstly fenlon's bizarre tactics then Butchers route one stuff. James is a fine coach and I don't think I've ever heard anyone speak badly about him. All my opinion. :thumbsup:

Iggy Pope
26-07-2014, 08:51 PM
He may not have been in charge at that time but was fully committed and involved

I have no reason to doubt that. I was trying only to explain to Sleeping Giant that Hibs had not romped the past couple of U-20 leagues and when we last had success.

Golden Bear
26-07-2014, 08:54 PM
If he's as good as some people are making out then why is he being sacked? I know nothing about the under 20s so i couldn't say whether he's doing a good job or not but I've seen some of the players that have come into the first team, they all look good technically but struggle with our brutal style of football of late. It seems strange that we've now got a manager who wants to play football and we get rid of him. Is the reason Stubbs just wants his own guys in, or is there more to it.

Only reading between the lines but he's not been sacked.

Bleeds green
26-07-2014, 09:00 PM
100% agree

and although the u20s finished third they played good passing flowing football while the first team played hoof ball, so if players weren't breaking into the first team it may have been because they weren't fully training in hoof ball. I was also very impressed in the never say die attitude of the under 20's last year & the also wont the foyles cup comp two years in a row if im not mistaken.

Are you James dad?? Nae need to get your knickers in a twist because an u20s coach has been asked to take a pay cut after the CLUB got relegated and are struggling to hit season ticket sales target, I'll do it for free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibs4thecup1988
26-07-2014, 09:03 PM
I've been told he has not been relieved of any duties at all. Fat from it.

Mikey09
26-07-2014, 09:25 PM
Are you James dad?? Nae need to get your knickers in a twist because an u20s coach has been asked to take a pay cut after the CLUB got relegated and are struggling to hit season ticket sales target, I'll do it for free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do what for free??

Mikey09
26-07-2014, 09:28 PM
I've been told he has not been relieved of any duties at all. Fat from it.

Good. There have been, and still are people at Hibs that do not deserve to be there but James Mcdonaugh definitely isn't one of them!!!

lord bunberry
26-07-2014, 09:40 PM
Only reading between the lines but he's not been sacked.

What has happened then

matty_f
26-07-2014, 09:54 PM

:agree: highly instrumental in the successes that year.

Fwiw, I think it'd be a huge loss to Hibs if James moved on.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
26-07-2014, 10:20 PM
He's not been relieved of his duties.

E10 Rifle
26-07-2014, 11:28 PM
However good we are in parts the club requires a regime change and this just has to be part of it. I am convinced The Board will follow. Slowly, but surely.

Mikey09
26-07-2014, 11:44 PM
However good we are in parts the club requires a regime change and this just has to be part of it. I am convinced The Board will follow. Slowly, but surely.

So far we have looked on as the following people have lost there jobs as a result of failure over the last god knows how many years..... Managers, players, coaches and now we're hearing rumours re James McDonaugh?? Yet who stays throughout this and picks up there massive salary every demoralising season?? Yep.... You guessed it!!!!

SMAXXA
27-07-2014, 12:49 AM
Without going into detail see my post a few months back

CB_NO3
27-07-2014, 02:08 AM
And to put a spanner in the works, the Falkirk fans were delighted when Craig left to come to us. Check the Bairns message board.

SMAXXA
27-07-2014, 02:18 AM
And to put a spanner in the works, the Falkirk fans were delighted when Craig left to come to us. Check the Bairns message board.

Like true football fans who don't know their erse from their elbiy, Falkirk have brought through a lot more youngster than anyone including us and the yams but hey ho shoot another imfrestucture appointment negative.

Brooster
27-07-2014, 06:58 AM
Any restructure that removes Bill Hendry is a good restructure but from what I have seen and heard of McDonagh I think we should keep him.

Lucius Apuleius
27-07-2014, 07:51 AM
So far we have looked on as the following people have lost there jobs as a result of failure over the last god knows how many years..... Managers, players, coaches and now we're hearing rumours re James McDonaugh?? Yet who stays throughout this and picks up there massive salary every demoralising season?? Yep.... You guessed it!!!!

Nope, not a clue. Who is left from the old regime that picks up a massive salary?

lucky
27-07-2014, 08:04 AM
His job is to get players ready for the 1st team how many have brought through in recent years and been a success ?

Ronniekirk
27-07-2014, 08:06 AM
Nope, not a clue. Who is left from the old regime that picks up a massive salary?
Those on Gardening Leave ,and what great weather they have been getting to enjoy it :wink:

Lucius Apuleius
27-07-2014, 08:16 AM
Those on Gardening Leave ,and what great weather they have been getting to enjoy it :wink:

Don't think that is who he is talking about seeing as he alreadymentioned managers.😙

H18sry
27-07-2014, 08:35 AM
His job is to get players ready for the 1st team how many have brought through in recent years and been a success ?

Harris,Forster,Cummings,Stanton and Handling have all featured last season.

Danderhall Hibs
27-07-2014, 08:46 AM

How many can be classed as a success though? They've had a couple of good games each.

Brightside
27-07-2014, 08:47 AM

His job is to coach the u20s team.

lucky
27-07-2014, 08:48 AM

All featured, but are they a success? Most of them have played a few good games and did very little in the other games. I would not say they've been a success. Cummings may go to be a great player, Harris was awful after his injury, Forster was part of a defence that was leaking goals, Stanton has the chance to be a great player but has only shown in flashes, handling is not good enough for even this Hibs team

Danderhall Hibs
27-07-2014, 08:49 AM
His job is to coach the u20s team.

What do you think the purpose of the under 20s team is?

Brightside
27-07-2014, 08:54 AM
This has been covered by multiple people on this thread. If you are going to slate James at least try and make it for what his job is... The progress of players through the age groups and into the first team is not his responsibility. There are other well paid individuals who had those responsibilities. Also how those players perform when they were moved into the first team has nothing to do with him as the training and tactics are completely different to the U20s.

Danderhall Hibs
27-07-2014, 08:59 AM
This has been covered by multiple people on this thread. If you are going to slate James at least try and make it for what his job is... The progress of players through the age groups and into the first team is not his responsibility. There are other well paid individuals who had those responsibilities. Also how those players perform when they were moved into the first team has nothing to do with him as the training and tactics are completely different to the U20s.

I'm not slating him - I just assumed that the idea behind the 20s was to progress them to the 1st team?

They should also be playing the same style of football as the 1st team so the transition is easier.

Brightside
27-07-2014, 09:08 AM
I'm not slating him - I just assumed that the idea behind the 20s was to progress them to the 1st team?

They should also be playing the same style of football as the 1st team so the transition is easier.

They will be now.

H18sry
27-07-2014, 09:43 AM
All featured, but are they a success? Most of them have played a few good games and did very little in the other games. I would not say they've been a success. Cummings may go to be a great player, Harris was awful after his injury, Forster was part of a defence that was leaking goals, Stanton has the chance to be a great player but has only shown in flashes, handling is not good enough for even this Hibs team

They have to be given a chance in a footballing sense, last year we were playing hoofball and missing out the midfield, and l do not know where people get the idea that we were leaking goals last season we lost 51 goals in the league less than Motherwell (60) who finished 2nd and the least amount of goal in the bottom 6.

Mikey09
27-07-2014, 09:59 AM
Don't think that is who he is talking about seeing as he alreadymentioned managers.

Who's been the one constant in all this??? The one who sees himself as untouchable? I'm sure he has taken a fair chunk of dosh from the club for failing to do what every supporter wants..... A good, successful team on the park. Season after season, with the odd flash in the pan he has failed in his duties. That's MY opinion so don't say I have no clue.

oconnors_strip
27-07-2014, 10:02 AM
I will post in due course once my head is a but clearer as my grandad died yesterday, but for the time being james is still employed by hibs to coach under 20s well the development team.

Mikey09
27-07-2014, 10:10 AM
I will post in due course once my head is a but clearer as my grandad died yesterday, but for the time being james is still employed by hibs to coach under 20s well the development team.

Really ly sorry to hear that.... My Grandad passed away last week so know how yer feeling. Chin uo......

JimBHibees
27-07-2014, 10:11 AM

Sorry to hear your news. RIP.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-07-2014, 10:15 AM

Sorry to hear that, RIP.

oneone73
27-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Really sorry to hear that. Deepest condolences.

Lucius Apuleius
27-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Who's been the one constant in all this??? The one who sees himself as untouchable? I'm sure he has taken a fair chunk of dosh from the club for failing to do what every supporter wants..... A good, successful team on the park. Season after season, with the odd flash in the pan he has failed in his duties. That's MY opinion so don't say I have no clue.

Still not sure who you are talking about taking a massive salary that is still there. Sorry for being a bit thick. The Manager and his sidekick were probably on the biggest salaries and they have left the club albeit I believe we are still paying them.

Mikey09
27-07-2014, 12:22 PM
Still not sure who you are talking about taking a massive salary that is still there. Sorry for being a bit thick. The Manager and his sidekick were probably on the biggest salaries and they have left the club albeit I believe we are still paying them.

Whats Petrie taken from the club since he began his disastrous overseeing of Hibs??

Lucius Apuleius
27-07-2014, 01:56 PM
Whats Petrie taken from the club since he began his disastrous overseeing of Hibs??

Since the beginning no idea. It has been shown that he no longer receives a salary from Hibernian FC.

Mikey09
27-07-2014, 03:22 PM
Since the beginning no idea. It has been shown that he no longer receives a salary from Hibernian FC.

Im certainly not trying to be a smart arse or start an argument mate. Serious question... When did he stop taking a wage from Hibs??

TowerHibs
27-07-2014, 03:24 PM

he isn't a first team manager though....Silly point. And what success are you talking about. Yes he has been involved but the young boys haven't won the league for years.

like I say, I don't support the decision and I have played under James before so know he is a good coach. However, football has a bait if ditching coaches and scouts first when regime change happens. Certainly won't be getting my knickers in a twist like you and emailing the club. Let them do their job. If you want to influence things at senior mange ment level I suggest u dig deep and invest in the club. Eddie May has a solid track record at Falkirk so no concerns with him coming in. New structure is what has been needed and if it takes a few good men to go then unfortunately that's what it takes.

also see you say Bill Henry is a wage the if and you are happy for him to go. Why does he not deserve same recognition from u as James for the youth teams "success". Is it just by 2nd hand information you are basing this stuff on???? Like I say, I have worked with both these guys and they do a fine job but the club is wanting to change direction and unfortunately youth coaches, scouts and development managers are always the first to go

SMAXXA
27-07-2014, 03:29 PM
he isn't a first team manager though....Silly point. And what success are you talking about. Yes he has been involved but the young boys haven't won the league for years.

like I say, I don't support the decision and I have played under James before so know he is a good coach. However, football has a bait if ditching coaches and scouts first when regime change happens. Certainly won't be getting my knickers in a twist like you and emailing the club. Let them do their job. If you want to influence things at senior mange ment level I suggest u dig deep and invest in the club. Eddie May has a solid track record at Falkirk so no concerns with him coming in. New structure is what has been needed and if it takes a few good men to go then unfortunately that's what it takes.

also see you say Bill Henry is a wage the if and you are happy for him to go. Why does he not deserve same recognition from u as James for the youth teams "success". Is it just by 2nd hand information you are basing this stuff on???? Like I say, I have worked with both these guys and they do a fine job but the club is wanting to change direction and unfortunately youth coaches, scouts and development managers are always the first to go

I think a key point being missed here is that James can only play the hand he has been dealt with. For example this season he's got a few 15 year olds I think in his squad and he basically gets handed the players and it's over to him to coach them. Fwiw he's done that and done a good job with it but I know he isn't overly impressed with what he's been given to work with but I'm sure he will get on with it like he always does.

Bill Hendry is another matter altogether.

TowerHibs
27-07-2014, 03:38 PM
I think a key point being missed here is that James can only play the hand he has been dealt with. For example this season he's got a few 15 year olds I think in his squad and he basically gets handed the players and it's over to him to coach them. Fwiw he's done that and done a good job with it but I know he isn't overly impressed with what he's been given to work with but I'm sure he will get on with it like he always does.

Bill Hendry is another matter altogether.

Bill is a former school teacher and was John Parks goofer if you like years ago at Motherwell and then Hibs. When Park left for Celtic, I feel Petrie's lack of football knowledge presumed the Bill could just step in and run the academy. BH isn't going to turn down a chance like that. He went from running the happy hibees draws at half time to running the full academy. So yeah I agree with your points, I just don't see why Ozzyhibs is so worked up when on paper (and I am guessing that's what he knows about James) then Eddie May is a better option with his experience, contacts and results.

Thecat23
27-07-2014, 03:41 PM

How many of our managers have been a success? They don't want anyone that plays football. They prefer journeymen who are was past it and like the ball punted away from them.

ozzie
27-07-2014, 03:55 PM

One I'm not ozziehibs
Two I'm not a he
three where did I mention bill Hendry being a wage thief?
Four I do know James
Five you do not know me therefore do not know if a invest in the club or not.

Anything else you want to rip me up for???

lucky
27-07-2014, 03:58 PM
How many of our managers have been a success? They don't want anyone that plays football. They prefer journeymen who are was past it and like the ball punted away from them.

None of our managers have in a success for years but in any business you can't have junior members of staff not following instructions. TB wanted all Hibs teams playing hoofball it was JM call to say no.

I've no doubt he's a good coach but the whole point of the U20s is to prepare players to make an impact on the 1st team and that is where he's not delivered

One Day Soon
27-07-2014, 04:00 PM
One I'm not ozziehibs
Two I'm not a he
three where did I mention bill Hendry being a wage thief?
Four I do know James
Five you do not know me therefore do not know if a invest in the club or not.

Anything else you want to rip me up for???

Ouch. I wouldn't want to spill your drink in a pub.

SMAXXA
27-07-2014, 04:07 PM
None of our managers have in a success for years but in any business you can't have junior members of staff not following instructions. TB wanted all Hibs teams playing hoofball it was JM call to say no.

I've no doubt he's a good coach but the whole point of the U20s is to prepare players to make an impact on the 1st team and that is where he's not delivered

Hasnt he delivered though? Forster, Cummings, Stanton, Harris, booth all current first team players and I watched a fair bit of the u20s last season and there were another couple knocking on the door. Circumstances havnt been ideal for young players to come through in recent years with the constant change in management and the reluctance to play youth over bringing in bigger names or journeyman who they felt would be less risky (we all know how that worked out).

he has them drilled in a passing style now inline with the first team. Butcher came in and ripped the whole ethos of that up and James hands were tied. Let's be honest he couldn't turn round and said no to butcher, would you if your boss told you things were changing and that's the way it's done from now on.

its down to others not James to bring in the right quality of youngster and identify them for James to then coach and work with. If we aren't doing that correctly in the recruitment department well your on a hiding to nothing. Hibs youth now have a lot of Edinburgh based players, not saying that's a bad thing but similarly are we being as active in recruiting wider than this or is this limitations on behalf of Bill Hendry and co? It's been widely publicised that outer recruitment and scouting has been failing not just at first team level so hopefully this will change.

Mikey09
27-07-2014, 04:21 PM

Sorry. Disagree. As I posted before James has prepared young players good enough to play for Hibs the past few years. It's the managers who have overlooked them or sent them out on loan ( Booth ). And when they have played the few through desperation these kids have struggled with mystifying tactics or route one Stone Age football. We played the academy lads In two cup games end of last season and both teams played some really good, entertaining football. On one occasion Malpas appeared and began effing and blinding at the Hibs boys to get the ball forward quickly as well as swearing at the officials and our players. That's just One example I know of that James has been up against. Great coach and a top lad.