PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs Can take as long as he like to make signings

spike220
24-07-2014, 12:57 PM
Stubbs Can take as long as he like to make signings if he has a wee conveyer belt from the EPL to us!

These last two potential signings (Allan & Oxley) are both well above what I thought we would be capable of attracting. I just hope we get them over the line.

Quality attracts quality.

GGTTH

Keith_M
24-07-2014, 01:02 PM
Happy Clapper!!!!

bobbyhibs1983
24-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Stubbs Can take as long as he like to make signings if he has a wee conveyer belt from the EPL to us!

These last two potential signings (Allan & Oxley) are both well above what I thought we would be capable of attracting. I just hope we get them over the line.

Quality attracts quality.

GGTTH

But what IF(and a big IF) if he signs palys whom,are not match fit and we need those players to play?

I tihnk thats why alot of people are a tad worried , if we sign players and they are not match fit, not got to know there new team mates.
This of course if IMO

Diclonius
24-07-2014, 02:21 PM
The problem with taking time to make signings is not having a team fit and ready to go for the start of the season. If we start poorly then it could spell the end for us as far as winning the league is concerned.

There's nothing wrong with making a few quality signings near the end of the window but we need to have the majority of the squad ready for - at the very least - our opening game against Livingston. If we can make the signings rumoured today and push on from there, then we're heading in the right direction.

Gus
24-07-2014, 02:52 PM
I agree with the OP but these signings are not above what we should be expecting.

One is a young lad who played something like 8 games for Dundee Utd, had someone chirp in his ear about earning more money & went down south to early. His career has stalled since then. Although I hope he is a good signing, there are no actual facts to suggest he should be. So I will wait to judge and see how he develops.

Smartie
24-07-2014, 02:54 PM
The problem with taking time to make signings is not having a team fit and ready to go for the start of the season. If we start poorly then it could spell the end for us as far as winning the league is concerned.

There's nothing wrong with making a few quality signings near the end of the window but we need to have the majority of the squad ready for - at the very least - our opening game against Livingston. If we can make the signings rumoured today and push on from there, then we're heading in the right direction.

I would normally agree with your first paragraph but this close season is a bit of a one-off with what's gone before. I'm sure Stubbs would like to have everyone in ready for the big kick-off but he can't turn back time and make it happen.

If it were a choice of having a poor team ready for the start of the season or a good one ready a few weeks later then I know what I'd choose.

But there's no way we should ever find ourselves in this position again, I'd hope we could have the vast majority of people in place earlier in future seasons.

Keith_M
24-07-2014, 02:58 PM
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but we have still only signed two players so far.

Right now, the rest are just rumours.

john18722
24-07-2014, 06:52 PM
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but we have still only signed two players so far.

Right now, the rest are just rumours.

Three, Gray, Allan and Farid.

Diclonius
24-07-2014, 07:00 PM

Four. Combe counts.

lEXO
24-07-2014, 07:03 PM
I agree with the OP but these signings are not above what we should be expecting.

One is a young lad who played something like 8 games for Dundee Utd, had someone chirp in his ear about earning more money & went down south to early. His career has stalled since then. Although I hope he is a good signing, there are no actual facts to suggest he should be. So I will wait to judge and see how he develops.

I read an interview from him last year. He was happy to sign an extended contract at Dundee Utd, it was Houston bullying him that was the problem. Houston was the one who was telling the papers he was asking for more money than he deserved and him being to big for his boots etc. He coudnt speak out to defend himself and his family were raging. This was part of the reason Houston was emptied by Utd, and Steven Thomson apologised to him and his parents for his treatment.

AlbertK86
24-07-2014, 07:38 PM
I read an interview from him last year. He was happy to sign an extended contract at Dundee Utd, it was Houston bullying him that was the problem. Houston was the one who was telling the papers he was asking for more money than he deserved and him being to big for his boots etc. He coudnt speak out to defend himself and his family were raging. This was part of the reason Houston was emptied by Utd, and Steven Thomson apologised to him and his parents for his treatment.

Houston's Yam training shining thro !

Tom Hart RIP
24-07-2014, 07:58 PM
[QUOTE=RagingReality;4105966]Four. Combe counts.[/

Callum Booth is like a new signing as well as we haven't seen him for 2 years. Has regained his form hopefully.

Bleeds green
24-07-2014, 08:04 PM
These guys are young professional footballers not journeymen how long do folk think it's gona take them to get fit??!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Horde
24-07-2014, 08:11 PM
Stubbs can take as long as he wants?

No he can't.

Window closes at the end of August..

H18Y GW
24-07-2014, 08:13 PM
These guys are young professional footballers not journeymen how long do folk think it's gona take them to get fit??!!

They will be only a couple of games behind in game fitness as Stubbs has given lots of game time too different players.

I'm sure they have been training and ticking over awaiting the call..

Doesn't fit in with a fews mindset that they will have been in Ibiza for 6 weeks , but heh ho

H18Y GW
24-07-2014, 08:15 PM
;4106053']Stubbs can take as long as he wants?

No he can't.

Window closes at the end of August..

Read in an interview that end of August was as long as he wanted to wait 😜

Franck Stanton
24-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Right, so as things stand, [obviously if we do sign/get Oxley on season long loan] the starting 11 could be : -

..............................Oxley............... .......

Gray..........Forster..........Hanlon..........Boo th/Stevenson

Harris.........Robertson......Allen............Cra ig

..........Heffernan..........Farid

Seems a good, strong team to me - obviously this is in a 4-4-2 formation but can be tweaked to suit.

Ozyhibby
24-07-2014, 08:45 PM
Right, so as things stand, [obviously if we do sign/get Oxley on season long loan] the starting 11 could be : -

..............................Oxley............... .......

Gray..........Forster..........Hanlon..........Boo th/Stevenson

Harris.........Robertson......Allen............Cra ig

..........Heffernan..........Farid

Seems a good, strong team to me - obviously this is in a 4-4-2 formation but can be tweaked to suit.

It will be Nelson instead of Forster.
And I think we will be playing 4-3-3 this season.

andrew70
24-07-2014, 08:48 PM
Oxley
Gray Forster Hanlon Booth
Robertson Stanton
Allan Craig Harris
El Alagui

Handling, Heffernan, Stevenson, Cummings, Nelson

Is it 5/7 subs in the Championship?

Diclonius
24-07-2014, 08:50 PM
What position has Stubbs been playing Craig? Attacking midfielder?

Bleeds green
24-07-2014, 09:01 PM
If the younger players play with confidence we are slowly building a good exciting looking team!! Optimism 😬

lucky
24-07-2014, 09:02 PM
There's is no way booth will start before Stevenson

AlbertK86
24-07-2014, 09:02 PM
Oxley Gray Forster Hanlon Booth Robertson Stanton Allan Craig Harris El Alagui Handling, Heffernan, Stevenson, Cummings, Nelson Is it 5/7 subs in the Championship?

No bad team

Would like to see us bring in a good left back as I think both Stevenson and Booth struggle defensively

Happy for Booth to play against lesser teams as he is good going forward but still worry about his ability defensively against stronger teams

Just Alf
24-07-2014, 09:32 PM
If the younger players play with confidence we are slowly building a good exciting looking team!! Optimism 😬

I agree with this.... Really starting to look forward to the new season now..,,

The_Horde
25-07-2014, 01:46 AM
Oxley

Gray Nelson Hanlon Stevenson

Allen Jones/Robertson Craig

Harris Elgooey Stanton

Is how I think it'll go.

Personally I'd have someone else in the middle for Jones, a better left back than Lewis, another striker with pace and another winger, with Todd challenging too.

Borderhibbie76
25-07-2014, 07:49 AM
;4106336']Oxley

Gray Nelson Hanlon Stevenson

Allen Jones/Robertson Craig

Harris Elgooey Stanton

Is how I think it'll go.

Personally I'd have someone else in the middle for Jones, a better left back than Lewis, another striker with pace and another winger, with Todd challenging too.
Personally id have nelson nowhere near the club. ..never mind the 1st team!!

Lucius Apuleius
25-07-2014, 08:09 AM
Personally id have nelson nowhere near the club. ..never mind the 1st team!!

Really? That surprises me, not.

Brightside
25-07-2014, 08:17 AM
Allan will be playing the number 10 role. We are going to win the league by at least 6 points.

Turkish Green
25-07-2014, 08:19 AM
I am less worried about things since Scott Allen was added. I admit to knowing next to nothing about him before yesterday but what I have now read has left me in a positive mind. And I am also confident Stubbs will resolve the goalkeeping problem within the coming days.

However, the one area I am still concerned about is central defence. Nelson, Hanlon and Forster (in any combination) do not inspire me with confidence. Nelson does not inspire me with confidence regardless of who he is paired with, be it 4 or 3 at the back. He may (or may not) be an experienced defender but he is too slow and I can see him being caught open by the many young speedy forwards in the division.

If Stubbs IS being methodical with his signings, I hope he has a defender, or two, in mind.

Aldo
25-07-2014, 08:25 AM
Allan will be playing the number 10 role. We are going to win the league by at least 6 points.

Free role to create etc I hope.

I think we will be there or there abouts tbh but hope we get some more pace in the wide areas.

Allan's signing is quality

jacomo
25-07-2014, 10:12 AM

Four. Combe counts.

[QUOTE=RagingReality;4105966]Four. Combe counts.[/

Callum Booth is like a new signing as well as we haven't seen him for 2 years. Has regained his form hopefully.

We're up to five. Any more? :wink:

:flag: