PDA

View Full Version : Hibs and Goalkeepers

Turkish Green
24-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Why IMO have keepers been so bad in recent seasons? I was looking at the record of Zbigi and since leaving Hibs, for the final time in 2008, he has had 5 seasons with Korona Kielce in the Polish top division and amassed 120 appearances. Yet when I saw him between the sticks for Hibs I ended up with no nails left. Before coming to Hibs he had 5 years in the Feyenoord camp. What did JC do to him?

Then there are Graham Stack, Graeme Smith and Ma-Kalambay who has only played a handful of 1st team games since he departed in 2010.

Have Hibs just been unlucky with keepers (Williams excluded)? Will the next one be any better,

Tom Hart RIP
24-07-2014, 10:50 AM
When was the last time we brought a keeper through from the youth team who became a regular?
I suspect Thomson Allan in the 60s but I might have forgotten someone?
I know we've had a few who have played 10-20 games over a few seasons but I am talking about a first choice???
Any suggestions??

CropleyWasGod
24-07-2014, 10:51 AM
When was the last time we brought a keeper through from the youth team who became a regular?
I know we've had a few who have played 10-20 games over a few seasons but I am talking about a first choice???
Any suggestions??

Andy McNeill?

Tom Hart RIP
24-07-2014, 10:55 AM
I think we got him from Southampton

CropleyWasGod
24-07-2014, 10:57 AM
I think we got him from Southampton

You're right. Ignore me. :greengrin

Iggy Pope
24-07-2014, 11:13 AM
Any suggestions??

Chris Reid became first choice and it did not end at all well.....I can't think of any since.
Before him, Christ knows. Jim McArthur??????

CropleyWasGod
24-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Chris Reid became first choice and it did not end at all well.....I can't think of any since.

Cowdenbeath.

HIBERNIAN-0762
24-07-2014, 11:15 AM
Robin Rae?

Iggy Pope
24-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Cowdenbeath.

:greengrin
Maybe THRIP is right about Thomson Allan..........

jacomo
24-07-2014, 11:20 AM
Why IMO have keepers been so bad in recent seasons? I was looking at the record of Zbigi and since leaving Hibs, for the final time in 2008, he has had 5 seasons with Korona Kielce in the Polish top division and amassed 120 appearances. Yet when I saw him between the sticks for Hibs I ended up with no nails left. Before coming to Hibs he had 5 years in the Feyenoord camp. What did JC do to him?

Then there are Graham Stack, Graeme Smith and Ma-Kalambay who has only played a handful of 1st team games since he departed in 2010.

Have Hibs just been unlucky with keepers (Williams excluded)? Will the next one be any better,

Zibi wasn't great but he was a tryer. Maybe he's worked hard on his game since leaving Hibs?

Graham Stack came through the ranks at Arsenal but has had something of a journeyman's career, he was no worse and no better at Hibs.

Graeme Smith - probably my least favourite Hibs player of all time. Poor player and stinking attitude. Bad, bad signing.

Ma-Kalamby - I'll always back the big guy. Had raw talent and presence but a bit dozy at times to say the least. Not helped by Yogi's public bullying. I don't know what happened since but he was a young guy with us and maybe he just never had the temperament and focus to become a reliable keeper.

Ben Williams - similar to Stack IMO, decent but not great journeyman, arguably better attitude. Sad to see him go as I think he'd have been just fine twixt the stix for us this term. Has he signed up with another club?

allezsauzee
24-07-2014, 11:22 AM

Why is JC getting the blame for a keeper who was gash for Mowbray? JC does need to take the blame for Ma Kalamby though . He was apparently going to go on to great things after we got shot of him. We did well with keepers between Roughie and Jim Leighton's era but since then only Andersson and Williams have been good enough.

HappyAsHellas
24-07-2014, 11:28 AM
Who was the young guy that came in when Roughie was injured? Was his name Rae? Played a couple of games looked impressive, but then night time activities saw him out the door?
i seem to remember a still injured Roughie in goals although he couldn't take bye kicks. Slowest I've seen a Hibs keeper move since Willie Wilson!

Michael
24-07-2014, 11:33 AM
I liked that Polish keeper that we had for about half a season. Played for United at some point before us I think.

Bristolhibby
24-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Daniel Andersson was very good.

Jim leighton and Andy Goram (two Scotland goalies while at Hibs).

Remember Olafur Gotscalsson or the monster Morten Hygerland (sp)?

J

allezsauzee
24-07-2014, 11:36 AM
I liked that Polish keeper that we had for about half a season. Played for United at some point before us I think.

Grzegorz Szamotulski. he was a good keeper but seemed to get injured a lot

alexhibs
24-07-2014, 11:39 AM
Andy Goram was quality and John 'Budgie' Burridge was a decent keeper and a character

lord bunberry
24-07-2014, 11:41 AM

J
Did ollie the goalie not end up in jail or on the run from the law?

Keith_M
24-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Who was the young guy that came in when Roughie was injured? Was his name Rae? Played a couple of games looked impressive, but then night time activities saw him out the door?
i seem to remember a still injured Roughie in goals although he couldn't take bye kicks. Slowest I've seen a Hibs keeper move since Willie Wilson!

Robin Rae, from Musselburgh. He was a total d1ck and has only himself to blame for his career going down the toilet.

Turkish Green
24-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Why is JC getting the blame for a keeper who was gash for Mowbray? JC does need to take the blame for Ma Kalamby though . He was apparently going to go on to great things after we got shot of him. We did well with keepers between Roughie and Jim Leighton's era but since then only Andersson and Williams have been good enough.
Because I don't like him. Reason enough for me.

Iain G
24-07-2014, 11:49 AM

J

Morten Hyldgaard you mean :wink: Think we were quite excited about him with good pedigree, but didn't get a chance really, kinda the Martin McIntosh of goalkeepers :wink:

SMAXXA
24-07-2014, 12:13 PM
Did ollie the goalie not end up in jail or on the run from the law?

In March 2010 Ole was sentenced to a ten months prison term in Iceland for housebreaking, robbery and violent attack.[8] [9] In October 2011 he was sentenced to additional four months in prison for similar charges, including serious violence.[10]

lifted from wiki

jacomo
24-07-2014, 12:53 PM
Because I don't like him. Reason enough for me.

Respectfully, I'd suggest you and a few others need to get over yourselves.

KeithTheHibby
24-07-2014, 01:02 PM

What does it have to do with JC? As far as I remember he had a couple of absolute clangers against the Yams and we as a support never forgave him for that. Keepers need confidence more than any other position, Zibby seriously lacked that.

KeithTheHibby
24-07-2014, 01:04 PM

Why? For bringing him to the club in the first place? Cannot be for any other reason.

R'Albin
24-07-2014, 01:05 PM

Some clips of him playing for us and United here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQBxZfunyJc

3:30 made me miss Zemmama so much :boo hoo:

Aldo
24-07-2014, 01:09 PM
I've seen some excellent keepers at ER

Rough
Goram
Budgie
Leighton
Andersson

Maybe add Colgan to that list!!

But since then dear God we've struggled.

Not sure if I've missed anyone??

Marty-Hibee
24-07-2014, 01:10 PM
Was Andersson actually that good? I don't remember the season all too well, I didn't really pick up a full interest in Hibs until I went to high school. But I've always felt (and this goes purely on a hunch, I'll happily accept I'm wrong if the stats/others tell me so) but are judgement's a bit cloudy because of the semi final win over the huns?

--------
24-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Zibi wasn't great but he was a tryer. Maybe he's worked hard on his game since leaving Hibs?

Graham Stack came through the ranks at Arsenal but has had something of a journeyman's career, he was no worse and no better at Hibs.

Graeme Smith - probably my least favourite Hibs player of all time. Poor player and stinking attitude. Bad, bad signing.

Ma-Kalamby - I'll always back the big guy. Had raw talent and presence but a bit dozy at times to say the least. Not helped by Yogi's public bullying. I don't know what happened since but he was a young guy with us and maybe he just never had the temperament and focus to become a reliable keeper.

Ben Williams - similar to Stack IMO, decent but not great journeyman, arguably better attitude. Sad to see him go as I think he'd have been just fine twixt the stix for us this term. Has he signed up with another club?

My theory regarding Zibi, McNeill and Maka (and a couple of others) is that for much of the their time the back four had developed a bad habit of dropping back very deep, largely due to a serious lack of pace in the centre-backs Jones and Hogg. I lost count of the number of times Maka in particular was struggling to work out what was going on in front of him because big Jones was playing right on the 6-yard line and in his way.

I know Jones is revered by many on this board, but good as he was in the air he was about as mobile as a dockside crane. And before anyone else says it, I KNOW he scored the opened in the LC Final in 2007, but even that day there were times he didn't make life easy for McNeill. Hogg wasn't much better - he was always liable to play a suicide ball across his goalmouth, or a perfectly-weighted pass-back to the keeper (perfectly-weighted for the opposition attackers, that is). Goalie and back four have to work as a unit, and I've always been of the opinion that when any doubt arises, the goalie's shout trumps all. McNeill and Maka in particular didn't have the confidence to make that happen, though I doubt that either Jones or Hogg would have been prepared to listen to them if they'd tried.

That said, not one of those three was anything like good enough in retrospect.

Danny Andersson (another goalie who looks better in hindsight than on the pitch during the game) started off dangerously erratic and ended by verging on something approaching competence; Hyldgaard hardly played, and Stack was perhaps the best of them until his inner ned surfaced. And then he got injured.

Reid and Rae were bombscares - anyone who thinks Maka was bad should have seen them. :rolleyes:

Best you can say about Ollie is that you can't expect top-quality if you go shopping in Iceland. Better trying Sainsbury or M&S.

Williams was good until Butcher and Malpas "re-organised" the defence. then he seemed to lose it completely.

Last competent and adequate keepers to be promoted from the reserves/youth teams? Willie Wilson and Thomson Allan, back in the 1960's, I'd say.

Last competent and adequate keeper to pull on the Hibs jersey? Budgie.

Beefster
24-07-2014, 02:08 PM
Was Andersson actually that good? I don't remember the season all too well, I didn't really pick up a full interest in Hibs until I went to high school. But I've always felt (and this goes purely on a hunch, I'll happily accept I'm wrong if the stats/others tell me so) but are judgement's a bit cloudy because of the semi final win over the huns?

I always thought he was alright but nothing special. He loved a flamboyant save though and is probably remembered more fondly than he deserves because of the Rangers penalty shoot-out.

CentreLine
24-07-2014, 02:10 PM
:greengrin
Maybe THRIP is right about Thomson Allan..........

And we need to go a fair bit back from Thomson Allan too. Not Willie Wilson. Or Ronnie Simpson so are we thinking Tommy Younger? Not that I ever saw him play

The goalie
24-07-2014, 02:11 PM
I've seen some excellent keepers at ER

Rough
Goram
Budgie
Leighton
Andersson

Maybe add Colgan to that list!!

But since then dear God we've struggled.

Not sure if I've missed anyone??

Yep have had some great goalies at ER but none we made ourselves of ANY note since THomson Allan in 1963! now even by mistake we should have had a few home grown goalies, we have had guys over that time in every postiotion except Goalie!
Now look at Hearts, can think of a few, Rangers a few, god even Celtic have produced a couple over the same time. Maybe we under value goalies, maybe we just dont want to give youth a chance in that department? Whatever the reason it must change as we have to produce guys in all positions over the next few years.

jacomo
24-07-2014, 02:52 PM
My theory regarding Zibi, McNeill and Maka (and a couple of others) is that for much of the their time the back four had developed a bad habit of dropping back very deep, largely due to a serious lack of pace in the centre-backs Jones and Hogg. I lost count of the number of times Maka in particular was struggling to work out what was going on in front of him because big Jones was playing right on the 6-yard line and in his way.

I know Jones is revered by many on this board, but good as he was in the air he was about as mobile as a dockside crane. And before anyone else says it, I KNOW he scored the opened in the LC Final in 2007, but even that day there were times he didn't make life easy for McNeill. Hogg wasn't much better - he was always liable to play a suicide ball across his goalmouth, or a perfectly-weighted pass-back to the keeper (perfectly-weighted for the opposition attackers, that is). Goalie and back four have to work as a unit, and I've always been of the opinion that when any doubt arises, the goalie's shout trumps all. McNeill and Maka in particular didn't have the confidence to make that happen, though I doubt that either Jones or Hogg would have been prepared to listen to them if they'd tried.

That said, not one of those three was anything like good enough in retrospect.

Danny Andersson (another goalie who looks better in hindsight than on the pitch during the game) started off dangerously erratic and ended by verging on something approaching competence; Hyldgaard hardly played, and Stack was perhaps the best of them until his inner ned surfaced. And then he got injured.

Reid and Rae were bombscares - anyone who thinks Maka was bad should have seen them. :rolleyes:

Best you can say about Ollie is that you can't expect top-quality if you go shopping in Iceland. Better trying Sainsbury or M&S.

Williams was good until Butcher and Malpas "re-organised" the defence. then he seemed to lose it completely.

Last competent and adequate keepers to be promoted from the reserves/youth teams? Willie Wilson and Thomson Allan, back in the 1960's, I'd say.

Last competent and adequate keeper to pull on the Hibs jersey? Budgie.

Good post Doddie, and I'd agree about the inadequacies of our defence making the keepers struggle.

Andersson did ok but didn't play for us for that long.

But how about Jim Leighton? He was at least competent, I thought.

Iggy Pope
24-07-2014, 03:23 PM
Robin Rae, from Musselburgh. He was a total d1ck and has only himself to blame for his career going down the toilet.

He might have been.
But I remember him performing well for us at Ibrox against the odds. And driving the filth in the Copeland to froth with a bit of keepie uppie to run the clock down.

basehibby
24-07-2014, 05:30 PM
In March 2010 Ole was sentenced to a ten months prison term in Iceland for housebreaking, robbery and violent attack.[8] [9] In October 2011 he was sentenced to additional four months in prison for similar charges, including serious violence.[10]

lifted from wiki

Wow - that's crazy. Apparently prior to that he disappeared from Torquay Utd " doping (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doping_(sport)) testers arrived at Plainmoor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plainmoor) for routine testing and Gottskálksson was chosen to give a sample. On viewing the list of banned substances he fled Torquay, leaving his girlfriend behind without an explanation.[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%93lafur_Gottsk%C3%A1lksson#cite_note-6) In June 2005, the Football Association (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Football_Association) announced that an independent disciplinary commission had banned Gottskálksson from football indefinitely for failing to take that drugs test." (also from wiki)

It would seem that there was more to Ollie the Goalie than meets the eye - going by the following link he must have pulled in favours from his contacts in Panini in an effort to throw the authorities off the scent....
http://www.oldschoolpanini.com/2013/04/les-rates-panini-jimmy-adjovi-boco.html

eastterrace
24-07-2014, 05:54 PM
nobody has mentioned that fantastic keeper we had called tony caig or was his name cack. think big marc defries was pretty friendly with him.

--------
24-07-2014, 06:23 PM
Good post Doddie, and I'd agree about the inadequacies of our defence making the keepers struggle.

Andersson did ok but didn't play for us for that long.

But how about Jim Leighton? He was at least competent, I thought.

Sorry - I didn't mention Goram or Leighton, but I should have. (I thought we were really discussing guys who had come up from the reserves.)

Budgie was after Leighton, I thought?

Those two - and Budgie - were worth at least 15 points a season to us, at a time when a win got us 2 points.

AFKA5814_Hibs
24-07-2014, 07:02 PM
Sorry - I didn't mention Goram or Leighton, but I should have. (I thought we were really discussing guys who had come up from the reserves.)

Budgie was after Leighton, I thought?

Those two - and Budgie - were worth at least 15 points a season to us, at a time when a win got us 2 points.

Burridge was signed in 1991, Leighton in 1993.

Aldo
24-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Sorry - I didn't mention Goram or Leighton, but I should have. (I thought we were really discussing guys who had come up from the reserves.) Budgie was after Leighton, I thought? Those two - and Budgie - were worth at least 15 points a season to us, at a time when a win got us 2 points.

Leighton' s double penalty save and rebound save from Laudrup at ER was brilliant.

Was clear the ref was desperate for them to score.

skipster7
24-07-2014, 07:16 PM
He might have been.
But I remember him performing well for us at Ibrox against the odds. And driving the filth in the Copeland to froth with a bit of keepie uppie to run the clock down. Bobin was actually a great keeper but mucked it up for himself at Hibs. Was also very good player out of goals . Dropped down to juniors and played up front scoring tons of goals. Big strong laddie with a rocket shot.

skipster7
24-07-2014, 07:20 PM
Remember him getting his chance when Rough broke his ankle at East Fife and done ok for a few games then let in a howler at the cave end to St Mirren in a 3-2 defeat iirc. Never played much after that.

ekhibee
24-07-2014, 08:25 PM
I always thought Reid was moved on because of his....extra curriculum activities...

Iggy Pope
24-07-2014, 09:16 PM
Bobin was actually a great keeper but mucked it up for himself at Hibs. Was also very good player out of goals . Dropped down to juniors and played up front scoring tons of goals. Big strong laddie with a rocket shot.

Was it Tranent? Too long ago now. And he was definitely a big laddie.

Iggy Pope
24-07-2014, 09:18 PM
I always thought Reid was moved on because of his....extra curriculum activities...

Not because he threw six in at Motherwell then? He did and we went down. Before the much feted time we lost six again!

Speedy
24-07-2014, 10:53 PM

He only played one game for Feyenoord so being there at the start of his career counts for nothing. And he's hardly playing at a high level. - Polish relegation battlers that most on here probably haven't heard of.

--------
25-07-2014, 01:12 PM
Burridge was signed in 1991, Leighton in 1993.

So he was. Gettin auld.

Budgie was in the League Cup winning side in '91; Leighton was in the side that lost to the Huns 2-1 in '94.

Craig_HFC
25-07-2014, 02:33 PM
I always thought he was alright but nothing special. He loved a flamboyant save though and is probably remembered more fondly than he deserves because of the Rangers penalty shoot-out.

And because Tony Caig came before him.

He was murder.

Turkish Green
25-07-2014, 04:29 PM
He only played one game for Feyenoord so being there at the start of his career counts for nothing. And he's hardly playing at a high level. - Polish relegation battlers that most on here probably haven't heard of.
He was contracted to Feyenoord for 4 years and in that time played over 50 games on loan to Excelsior. If that does not count to you then why was he signed by Hibs? Relegation battlers? That doesn't count too, eh! Probably the Poles haven't heard of Hibs either.

Sheesh! Who rattled your cage.

Speedy
25-07-2014, 10:11 PM
He was contracted to Feyenoord for 4 years and in that time played over 50 games on loan to Excelsior. If that does not count to you then why was he signed by Hibs? Relegation battlers? That doesn't count too, eh! Probably the Poles haven't heard of Hibs either.

Sheesh! Who rattled your cage.

Who rattled my cage? You did.

The point is, he hasn't played at a standard (noticeably) better than Hibs so your inference that Hibs made him a bad keeper is based on little other than emotion. imo of course.

tamig
26-07-2014, 07:59 PM
Was it Tranent? Too long ago now. And he was definitely a big laddie.

Arniston Rangers and Bonnyrigg Rose. Think he may have gone on to manage Arniston for a bit.

IberianHibernian
26-07-2014, 09:47 PM
Is Nick Colgan employed by any club ? Has been a great ambassador for our club and seem to remember reading that he lived in Borders . Maybe someone who might play a part in the future .

bigboab
27-07-2014, 12:04 AM
Should have signed McDonald

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
27-07-2014, 08:43 AM
Is Nick Colgan employed by any club ? Has been a great ambassador for our club and seem to remember reading that he lived in Borders . Maybe someone who might play a part in the future .

He's the coach at Huddersfield and still registered as a player.

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-07-2014, 09:42 AM
IIRC both Colgan and Andersson did not come to the club as established keepers. At one point, wasn't Andersson third choice? I am sure that Colgan came in on a freezer from Bournemouth, and was very much a who(?) addition. Bit confusing that we have had quality and not known it.