PDA

View Full Version : Context

Islington Hibs
23-07-2014, 02:34 PM
When I was a child Hibernian beat Liverpool and competed with an excellent Leeds United. I had lunch, with an agent last week, who told me 18 year olds were routinely signing for middle ranking English Premiership clubs on £100k a year. One guy he knew was on £600k. These players who have never played first team football. They are mere prospects most of which will never see the light of day.

I have no idea what our first team gets- but I guess £50-£150k pa.

There is a post elsewhere saying we shouldn't take EPL loan goalkeepers. I have no view on the guy from Hull but this is what we are up against.

Jones28
23-07-2014, 02:50 PM
The premiership has become this vast talent vaccum. It takes anyone who has shown the slightest glimmer of talent at a very young age. The amount of money spent on a single player would buy most scottish teams apart from Celtic, a very good squad. We simply cannot compete with it on any level on or off the pitch.

IWasThere2016
23-07-2014, 03:10 PM
When I was a child Hibernian beat Liverpool and competed with an excellent Leeds United. I had lunch, with an agent last week, who told me 18 year olds were routinely signing for middle ranking English Premiership clubs on £100k a year. One guy he knew was on £600k. These players who have never played first team football. They are mere prospects most of which will never see the light of day.

There is a post elsewhere saying we shouldn't take EPL loan goalkeepers. I have no view on the guy from Hull but this is what we are up against.

Our highest earner won't be on £100k p.a.

Jonnyboy
23-07-2014, 03:24 PM

Proof, if indeed proof were needed that money is the king in football

heretoday
23-07-2014, 03:28 PM
The rich have got richer etc over the years.

Hibs were the best team in Britain for about 15 minutes in the early 70s, I believe.

We were never blessed with big money though.

jdships
23-07-2014, 03:30 PM

That is quite correct but it has to be looked at more closely
The number of 18 year olds earning " mega bucks " in English Premierships is in dozens rather than hundreds.
Top rated talent is being snapped up by the " big boys" but there are still many young lads in English football earning less than £1000 per week !!
I have a neighbour whose nephew plays for West Ham , aged 19, and is being paid £1000 per week and his pal who is with a 2nd Div team in England sge 19, earns £450 per week.

:rolleyes:

Islington Hibs
23-07-2014, 03:39 PM

what do you do think they are on?

Islington Hibs
23-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Proof, if indeed proof were needed that money is the king in football

completely agree. Tragedy really. No idea what the solution is though.

Michael
23-07-2014, 03:46 PM
It's a shame that our club will never truly compete in European football or even for domestic league titles for the foreseeable future. However, when the TV bubble bursts... maybe...

basehibby
23-07-2014, 03:51 PM
The premiership has become this vast talent vaccum. It takes anyone who has shown the slightest glimmer of talent at a very young age. The amount of money spent on a single player would buy most scottish teams apart from Celtic, a very good squad. We simply cannot compete with it on any level on or off the pitch.

:agree: If the whole stinking edifice imploded tomorrow then football not just in Scotland but in England as well would benefit greatly. While the market for players in Scotland has been completely distorted, down south, regardless of how much they crow about having "the best league in the world" their national team is impoverished as ably displayed by their pathetic bottom place exit from the WC recently.

basehibby
23-07-2014, 03:55 PM
That is quite correct but it has to be looked at more closely
The number of 18 year olds earning " mega bucks " in English Premierships is in dozens rather than hundreds.
Top rated talent is being snapped up by the " big boys" but there are still many young lads in English football earning less than £1000 per week !!
I have a neighbour whose nephew plays for West Ham , aged 19, and is being paid £1000 per week and his pal who is with a 2nd Div team in England sge 19, earns £450 per week.

:rolleyes:

But this does nothing but prove the point - £52,000 pa at age 19 IS mega bucks.

And £24,000 pa at age 19 is very decent money.

Keith_M
23-07-2014, 03:55 PM
...........as ably displayed by their pathetic bottom place exit from the WC recently.

Did anybody else find that part funny?

:greengrin

Maybe it's just me and my 'toilet' humour....

HappyAsHellas
23-07-2014, 03:58 PM

Why not? If I remember correctly, when Kenny Millar first left Hibs he was on £88000 per annum according to news reports at the time. I would think our highest earners would be getting slightly more than this due to inflation. A budget of 2 million would give a 20 man squad £100,000 each, all things being equal (which they aren't I know). The puddledrinkers are having to get by on a budget of £1 million. If we have a spectacularly low turnover this season, of say £4 million, that would leave a 50% wage bill of £2 million. Just because we aren't buying up every Tom, Dick or harry doesn't mean we can't afford decent salaries for the league we are in.

NAE NOOKIE
23-07-2014, 04:36 PM
:agree: If the whole stinking edifice imploded tomorrow then football not just in Scotland but in England as well would benefit greatly. While the market for players in Scotland has been completely distorted, down south, regardless of how much they crow about having "the best league in the world" their national team is impoverished as ably displayed by their pathetic bottom place exit from the WC recently.

Couldn't agree more BH

It was always the case that Europe wide the biggest clubs would be there or thereabouts, but there was always a wee fly in the ointment to upset the big boys either domestically or in Europe. But not anymore.

It says everything when a club like, for example, Aston Villa who would be a giant in most leagues would be laughed at if they suggested they might win the EPL next season. The demise of Ajax as a European power can be attributed to the way money rules the game now.

UEFA unfortunately have forgotten that they are there to run football for the good of every club in Europe and just as importantly the folk who pay to watch them. Because the game is now set up purely for the benefit of the super rich 95% of football fans have little chance of seeing their team win the league ....... and even less chance of seeing success in Europe.

Only football would tolerate a system where the chance of seeing success is only afforded to a tiny proportion of its paying customers year after year. At what point I wonder will the huge proportion of Europe's football fans who are sidelined in this way say enough is enough and raise up a movement to do something about it. We cant all support Real Madrid, Liverpool or Bayern sodding Munich, but we pay just as much ( or more ) to watch our clubs play and contribute every bit as much to the game.

What about us !!!!

Iggy Pope
23-07-2014, 04:47 PM
Did anybody else find that part funny?

:greengrin

Maybe it's just me and my 'toilet' humour....

I might have, but can't seem to find it in this thread? You lost? Or just talking out of 'context'.....?

Keith_M
23-07-2014, 04:51 PM
I might have, but can't seem to find it in this thread? You lost? Or just talking out of 'context'.....?

Post #10

Ray_
23-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Couldn't agree more BH

It was always the case that Europe wide the biggest clubs would be there or thereabouts, but there was always a wee fly in the ointment to upset the big boys either domestically or in Europe. But not anymore.

It says everything when a club like, for example, Aston Villa who would be a giant in most leagues would be laughed at if they suggested they might win the EPL next season. The demise of Ajax as a European power can be attributed to the way money rules the game now.

UEFA unfortunately have forgotten that they are there to run football for the good of every club in Europe and just as importantly the folk who pay to watch them. Because the game is now set up purely for the benefit of the super rich 95% of football fans have little chance of seeing their team win the league ....... and even less chance of seeing success in Europe.

Only football would tolerate a system where the chance of seeing success is only afforded to a tiny proportion of its paying customers year after year. At what point I wonder will the huge proportion of Europe's football fans who are sidelined in this way say enough is enough and raise up a movement to do something about it. We cant all support Real Madrid, Liverpool or Bayern sodding Munich.

What about us !!!!

I think you have hit the nail on the head when you say super rich, but not in the terms of clubs, but individuals that can buy a pretty average achieving club such as Chelsea and Man City and after spending hundreds of millions, turn them in to a team that will dominate their league. They don't have to win it every year, but taking up important champion league places.

We have always had clubs that were bigger than the rest, like Rantic in Scotland, but other teams were still able to compete on occasions. In England the opportunity for the Aston Villa's are all but gone [I was at Highbury the day they won the league in 1981] and at that time you also had Ipswich pushing them to that final day victory, as well as the biggie, Liverpool. With the cash that's being chucked at Chelsea and City, along with the established big clubs like Arsenal, Liverpool & United, its very remote the chance of a Villa pulling it off again.

Iggy Pope
23-07-2014, 05:31 PM
Post #10

Ta. Sorry.

Geo_1875
24-07-2014, 09:09 AM
Couldn't agree more BH

Only football would tolerate a system where the chance of seeing success is only afforded to a tiny proportion of its paying customers year after year. At what point I wonder will the huge proportion of Europe's football fans who are sidelined in this way say enough is enough and raise up a movement to do something about it. We cant all support Real Madrid, Liverpool or Bayern sodding Munich, but we pay just as much ( or more ) to watch our clubs play and contribute every bit as much to the game.

What about us !!!!

That is one of the reasons that they introduced the Champions League. The big teams didn't mind losing or drawing the occasional game to minnows but there was no way they would lose over a 6 game league section.

For me the worst part is that 4 clubs from the same country don't care about winning their domestic championship as long as they qualify for the big money in Europe.

Allant1981
24-07-2014, 09:28 AM

Im guessing liam craig will be a high earner for us and wont be far off 2k per week so 100k might be about right

Leith Mo
24-07-2014, 09:50 AM
I remember a thread on here re Pat Fenlon's comments on Hibs after he left - stated we had a wage cap of £1800 per week so that makes roughly a cap of just under £100k a year basic excluding bonuses and benefits etc (I would think).

Also know a young guy (21 year old) who recently signed for an English League One team on £8k a week if that puts things in some form of context (genuine as saw written proof of this amount) as to what we and Scottish teams in general are up against.

NAE NOOKIE
24-07-2014, 10:17 AM
I think you have hit the nail on the head when you say super rich, but not in the terms of clubs, but individuals that can buy a pretty average achieving club such as Chelsea and Man City and after spending hundreds of millions, turn them in to a team that will dominate their league. They don't have to win it every year, but taking up important champion league places.

The new UEFA 'financial fair play' rules are designed to stop the mega rich from doing this sort of thing, where you have the extreme case of the likes of Monaco who get smaller crowds than Hibs buying 30 million pound players. Its stated aim was also to prevent clubs getting into massive debt chasing the dream as it were.

But IMO UEFA are missing the point as it appears to the disenfranchised millions of fans throughout Europe. If you bring in a rule which takes away any chance of the also rans living in hope that a mega rich owner can come along one day and catapult them into the stratosphere, what are you left with? The answer is simple .... With a rule which for example ties a cubs spending to its turnover from strictly commercial activities you can only draw the conclusion that the big clubs with the biggest domestic and international support will always be at the top with the prospect of any new challengers to their dominance either domestically or internationally becoming less and less.

If this runs its natural course the likelihood is that the people who support the 90% of Europe's clubs who are reduced to at best a supporting act to the main event ( a situation we are pretty well at now anyway ) will say bugger this and one of two things will happen.

The attendances at domestic and UEFA matches will fall and fall as fans get fed up of the same old, same old until UEFA are forced to face up to the situation they have helped create. By which time the damage might be irrevocable.

Or someone somewhere will find a way to give a voice to the millions of fans all over Europe who are utterly fed up of the fact that because they don't support one of the huge clubs they will never see success apart from perhaps in a minor domestic trophy once in a blue moon ... like us. Its time the millions like us forced football to level the playing field.

J-C
24-07-2014, 10:30 AM

Maybe not this season but in the premiership I would say yes, the top players at the club would be on around £2K pw, or around £100k a year.

Bishop Hibee
24-07-2014, 11:00 AM
The last period where teams like Hibs could have competed was the 1980's. Instead we pretty much wallowed in mediocrity while teams like Aberdeen and Dundee Utd mixed it with the best in Europe. Yet another missed opportunity in our history and clearly no lessons were learnt given were we are now. I fully expect an NFL style European, if not world, set-up eventually which will have finical rewards dwarfing what is currently available.

:singing: But now we've got a younger team, I dinnae want tae brag. I only want tae say the Scottish Cup is in the bag :singing: :greengrin

Geo_1875
24-07-2014, 11:09 AM
The last period where teams like Hibs could have competed was the 1980's. Instead we pretty much wallowed in mediocrity while teams like Aberdeen and Dundee Utd mixed it with the best in Europe. Yet another missed opportunity in our history and clearly no lessons were learnt given were we are now. I fully expect an NFL style European, if not world, set-up eventually which will have finical rewards dwarfing what is currently available.

:singing: But now we've got a younger team, I dinnae want tae brag. I only want tae say the Scottish Cup is in the bag :singing: :greengrin

Franchising based around the existing giants of European football and strategically placed outfits in other markets. Again keeping the rich rich and the poor down trodden masses in their place.

lobster
24-07-2014, 11:46 AM
The English Premiership had relatively little impact on the outcome of the world cup which is a measure of how good it actually is. In short, overinflated and overhyped. It seems obvious that our only option is to build a system where we continually create teams of youngsters. The last few years clearly indicate that we don't want 3rd rate journeymen.
I'd be happy if Stubbs brought the youth through. The SPFL can wait.

allezsauzee
24-07-2014, 11:48 AM
Clubs in leagues like Scotland obviously can't compete so perhaps they should stop trying? Maybe a move to summer football is what is needed with a Northern European Cup competition would create a bit more interest with clubs from Scotland, Ireland, Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania and of the other smaller Associations that wanted to be involved?