Back to loans again then? Underwhelmed.

Hibbyradge
23-07-2014, 09:37 AM

lol

BOB MARLEYS DUG
23-07-2014, 09:38 AM

The doom and gloom has well and truely started then....

bingo70
23-07-2014, 09:39 AM

You're right, Jorge claros and Griffiths were a complete disaster.

We should stick to permanent deals like Rowan vine, Michael Nelson and pu kujabi.

Also worth remembering Ryan mcgivern looked alright on loan, was when he signed permanently he turned gash.

Diclonius
23-07-2014, 09:45 AM

We should stick to permanent deals like Rowan vine, Michael Nelson and pu kujabi.

Also worth remembering Ryan mcgivern looked alright on loan, was when he signed permanently he turned gash.

Griffiths had a personal attachment to the club and Claros took 6 months to settle in when most loans don't get that long.

Experienced, decent quality goalkeepers at this level exist within our wage range. I feel the loans we've brought in over the past few years bar the exceptions mentioned above have contributed very little.

MrRobot
23-07-2014, 09:49 AM
I would rather a permanent deal for a goalkeeper but it may work out in our favour.

Big Frank
23-07-2014, 09:51 AM

Top post.

Hopefully we can bring this guy on, give him games and experience, hopefully, we can raise his profile and value to his parent club too.

Gordy M
23-07-2014, 09:53 AM
I would rather a permanent deal for a goalkeeper but it may work out in our favour.

Can i ask why mate? Its no different to someone signing a one year deal, which a few teams have done, including the yams?

Keith_M
23-07-2014, 09:56 AM
Got a link to the article?

Anybody?

:dunno:

Elephant Stone
23-07-2014, 09:56 AM

You sound like the kind of guy who is still moaning about the trams.

jdships
23-07-2014, 09:57 AM
Can i ask why mate? Its no different to someone signing a one year deal, which a few teams have done, including the yams?

:agree:

spike220
23-07-2014, 10:05 AM
from the daily record today.
hibs look set to secure 23yr old keeper Mark Oxley on loan from Hull

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKYrcjj-JJQ

He looks decent!

HFC 0-7
23-07-2014, 10:09 AM

To be fair, its the loans that have masked our decline at times and our inability to replace these good players. Filling key positions with loans is a huge risk IMO. If it pays off and said loan player is good then the chances are that all we are doing is putting them in the shop window which means we cant secure them. There have also been a few rubbish loan signings of late. If we are building for the future, loans, IMO, are not the way to go as you are either constantly trying to replace them when they go back to their parent club if they are a success or trying to tie them down to a deal which doesnt always happen.

Re your point about permanent signings, is that not because the managers were gash choosing these players?

If we dont want to be constantly re building then loans need to stop, that said there isnt a lot of loans in the squad at the moment, but GK is a position I think we should try and keep consistent so I think I signed GK would have been the best option.

Hibeesmad
23-07-2014, 10:12 AM

McPake is another

spike220
23-07-2014, 10:16 AM
and............A reality check people........If we get this guy on a one year loan we will have one of the best (if not the best GK) in the league, get a grip people, he is an EPL Goal keeper, just what were we expecting, something better than this???

I will be delighted if this is confirmed!!

A massive coup for Hibs!

Hibbyradge
23-07-2014, 10:20 AM
Top post.

Hopefully we can bring this guy on, give him games and experience, hopefully, we can raise his profile and value to his parent club too.

And maybe, just maybe, he can help us get out of the league in the one season we have him.

Then we may be able to offer a longer term deal to someone better than we could currently attract.

lucky
23-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Don't know much about him but he has decent pedigree. As for loan keepers, Kasper Schmeical and Tim Krul both came on loan to Scotland to gain exprience and it has not have harmed their careers or many people saying how bad they were when they played up here.

hibs4life
23-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Sounds promising.
But when are we going to realise the make up of the squad will be a mix of permanents and loanees for this season and the foreseeable future. It's even the way in the EPL. Hopefully the loan players will supplement the squad with some additional quality and so long as they pass that quality threshold, then I can't see it as a problem.
Still, I'm sure there are others who will continue to see it as such...

--------
23-07-2014, 10:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKYrcjj-JJQ

He looks decent!

Anyone can make one save. Even Simon Brown in the Cup-tie at Ibrox? But it's better he kept it out than let it in. :wink:

However, the guy's 24, played a lot of games for Oldham in League One last year, and seems to have done well. Hull think enough of him to be holding on to his registration while putting him out on loan. He's #4 behind McGregor, Harper and Jakupovitch at Hull - all more than 'decent' keepers. They recalled him from Oldham in March when McGregor was injured, so Bruce seems to have been happy enough with him as a back-up keeper for the last couple of months of the EPL season. He certainly doesn't seem to be out of Bruce's plans for the future.

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Hull-City-goalkeeper-Mark-Oxley-taking-big-chance/story-20089577-detail/story.html

I don't think we can be reminded too often - right now we probably don't have a lot of cash to put about. Better to spend what we have on wages than signing fees to players and agents, IMO. In a loan deal all we pay is the player's wages - or a proportion of them, depending on the deal.

The laddie has a reasonable background and hopefully will do well if we close the deal.

cocopops1875
23-07-2014, 10:30 AM
Griffiths had a personal attachment to the club and Claros took 6 months to settle in when most loans don't get that long.

Experienced, decent quality goalkeepers at this level exist within our wage range. I feel the loans we've brought in over the past few years bar the exceptions mentioned above have contributed very little.
What is our wage range ?

geohibby
23-07-2014, 10:34 AM
Anybody?

:dunno:

it was only a few lines on this guy, the article was about Alan
Combe, read it in todays daily record

Keith_M
23-07-2014, 10:35 AM
it was only a few lines on this guy, the article was about Alan
Combe, read it in todays daily record

Cheers.

spike220
23-07-2014, 10:36 AM
Anyone can make one save. Even Simon Brown in the Cup-tie at Ibrox? But it's better he kept it out than let it in. :wink:

However, the guy's 24, played a lot of games for Oldham in League One last year, and seems to have done well. Hull think enough of him to be holding on to his registration while putting him out on loan. He's #4 behind McGregor, Harper and Jakupovitch at Hull - both more than decent keepers. They recalled him from Oldham in March when McGregor was injured, so Bruce seems to have been happy enough with him as a back-up keeper for the last couple of months of the EPL season. He certainly doesn't seem to be out of Bruce's plans for the future.

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Hull-City-goalkeeper-Mark-Oxley-taking-big-chance/story-20089577-detail/story.html

I don't think we can be reminded too often - right now we probably don't have a lot of cash to put about. Better to spend what we have on wages than signing fees to players and agents, IMO. In a loan deal all we pay is the player's wages - or a proportion of them, depending on the deal.

The laddie has a reasonable background and hopefully will do well if we close the deal.

Very quick reactions, I watched the replay six times to get an appreciation of what a good save it was. The ball was hit hard, low and quick and it came from nowhere. I don't think too many SPL keepers would have got near that.

Turkish Green
23-07-2014, 10:44 AM
...from 1956.

A loan deal is not ideal but as long as he player is contented with the money then why not.

MrRobot
23-07-2014, 10:45 AM

TBH it's purely just a person preference with goalkeepers. I always feel that a goalkeeper is somebody who should be a loyal player at the club, there for a long time as I tend to find goalkeepers tend to get better with age. Would hate to see a keeper come in, do really well and then go back to his club.

That said, if we attract a better standard of keeper on loan than on a permanent basis then im all for it.

E10 Rifle
23-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Goalkeeper is one position that definitely does work in terms of loan signings. There are lots of very good keepers out there battling for one starting spot so loans for them are an obvious part of their development. He'll have been kept out by two international keepers at Hull last season and playing for Oldham all season would be as good a standard as the lower half of the Premier League last year. So I would have no hesitation in saying this guy will be of good enough standard for us.

WestEndHibee
23-07-2014, 10:59 AM

This made me laugh :greengrin

Jones28
23-07-2014, 11:18 AM

Taking your user name too seriously.

Underwhelmed with leigh griffiths too I take it?

Matt92
23-07-2014, 11:22 AM
Bet Atletico really regretted getting Courtois on loan...

blackpoolhibs
23-07-2014, 11:23 AM
A season loan for a good quality keeper is fine in my opinion, as someone else posted. Tim Krul and Kasper Schmeichel were very good young keepers who were always going to make a good career in the game, but needed to play games because they were not ready to play at the level of club they were at.

And also a one season loan is just like a 1 season signing, which is a lot better than a 3 or 6 month one.

Big Frank
23-07-2014, 11:28 AM
And maybe, just maybe, he can help us get out of the league in the one season we have him.

Then we may be able to offer a longer term deal to someone better than we could currently attract.

Maybe, just maybe.

:rolleyes:

Jamesie
23-07-2014, 11:40 AM
The question really has to be whether he is so much better than Alan Combe and whether that differential in quality is worthy of his wage or whether that money could be better spent elsewhere. Remember, many keepers tend to have their best years post-30.

Overall I am not a fan of loan signings from the English leagues. Too often than not we seem to get big-time-charlies who think they are are better than they actually are, with no affection or attraction to Hibs whatsoever, and indeed maybe an underlying resentment that they haven't broken into the first team at their parent clubs.

worcesterhibby
23-07-2014, 11:41 AM
I would rather a permanent deal for a goalkeeper.

Yea it certainly didn't work well for Athletico Madrid last season :rolleyes:

:wink:

.Sean.
23-07-2014, 11:43 AM
I want us to sign the best players we possibly can for each position and if that means a younger guy on loan for a year who is a superior player to someeone we could sign on a permanent deal then so be it. To me its a no-brainer.

lord bunberry
23-07-2014, 11:43 AM
I don't mind getting a goalkeeper on a year long loan either, but a year long loan is not the same as a 1 year contract. A loan player knows he's going back to his club at the end of the loan period, certain players just don't put in 100% whilst on loan as we've seen before. A player on a 1 year contract is more likely to want to impress to get a new contract or a move elsewhere.

JimBHibees
23-07-2014, 11:45 AM
I want us to sign the best players we possibly can for each position and if that means a younger guy on loan for a year who is a superior player to someeone we could sign on a permanent deal then so be it. To me its a no-brainer.

Agree totally.

cam75
23-07-2014, 11:48 AM

However, the guy's 24, played a lot of games for Oldham in League One last year, and seems to have done well. Hull think enough of him to be holding on to his registration while putting him out on loan. He's #4 behind McGregor, Harper and Jakupovitch at Hull - all more than 'decent' keepers. They recalled him from Oldham in March when McGregor was injured, so Bruce seems to have been happy enough with him as a back-up keeper for the last couple of months of the EPL season. He certainly doesn't seem to be out of Bruce's plans for the future.

Did Makalamby not get recalled by Chelsea and rocastle ?
GGTTH

Hibbyradge
23-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Maybe, just maybe.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: back at you.

You would agree that we'll have a better chance of promotion if we have a better quality goalkeeper, wouldn't you?

IWasThere2016
23-07-2014, 11:54 AM
A season loan for a good quality keeper is fine in my opinion, as someone else posted. Tim Krul and Kasper Schmeichel were very good young keepers who were always going to make a good career in the game, but needed to play games because they were not ready to play at the level of club they were at.

And also a one season loan is just like a 1 season signing, which is a lot better than a 3 or 6 month one.

This.

It is obvious a significant fall in income/STs plays it's part in what we can do for players - the owners will most definitely not finance signings - and thus we will IMHO not make many permanent signings.

Hibbyradge
23-07-2014, 11:56 AM
GGTTH

He went from Hibs to Swansea where he didn't get a game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yves_Ma-Kalambay

Feed McGraw
23-07-2014, 12:05 PM
GGTTH Maka was a permanent signing IIRC, though if he did return to Chelsea it would have only been to amuse a waiting throng of players and coaches excitedly asking him : " Well Maka me old son, did those daft Jocks REALLY believe you are a keeper" ? "Did they REALLY" ? Cue much guffawing. :greengrin

Jones28
23-07-2014, 12:06 PM

This

ALF TUPPER
23-07-2014, 12:09 PM
and............A reality check people........If we get this guy on a one year loan we will have one of the best (if not the best GK) in the league, get a grip people, he is an EPL Goal keeper, just what were we expecting, something better than this???

I will be delighted if this is confirmed!!

A massive coup for Hibs!

Well said :aok:

MrSmith
23-07-2014, 12:09 PM
This.

It is obvious a significant fall in income/STs plays it's part in what we can do for players - the owners will most definitely not finance signings - and thus we will IMHO not make many permanent signings.

That's the way it is and therefore, the death of the hibs brand because the current incumbents are clueless! I'm definitely not buying one nor renewing my kids ones!

I am well disappointed at the latest attempt to fool us into parting with well earned cash for a pile o ****!

Bishop Hibee
23-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Bottom line is I don't really care if he is a loan or not as long as he is good. If we get him it will give Stubbs a season to sort out a keeper on a permanent deal for the 2015/16 season. Assuming all goes well with Stubbs of course :cool2:

Big Frank
23-07-2014, 12:12 PM

You would agree that we'll have a better chance of promotion if we have a better quality goalkeeper, wouldn't you?

lol

BOB MARLEYS DUG
23-07-2014, 12:27 PM
He was 1 of 2 folk who were shown round EM yesterday.

.Sean.
23-07-2014, 12:37 PM

I'll bite. Who was the other?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
23-07-2014, 12:38 PM

I have no idea.

CropleyWasGod
23-07-2014, 12:38 PM

Sir Tom.

Hibbyradge
23-07-2014, 12:56 PM
lol

:aok:

PatHead
23-07-2014, 01:04 PM

As was mentioned on the Hibs Club Open Day thread. Tell us something we haven't heard before.

Love making out you are in the know BMD don't you?

Can you confirm you have connections within Hibs/Agents/Players/Press or do you just go through the internet picking up rumours and pass them on?

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-07-2014, 01:11 PM
What is it with all this underwhelmed pish that has been appearing on here recently?

ozwoody
23-07-2014, 01:19 PM

I dont know what else we expect given our circumstances. This is a guy thats an EPL keeper, trains with EPL players, has experience in a higher league than we are in yet we are still moaning when we haven't seen him play! Lets see what he can do for us before writing him off

joe breezy
23-07-2014, 01:21 PM
injury prone Arsenal player, no thanks

JimBHibees
23-07-2014, 01:25 PM
injury prone Arsenal player, no thanks

He's never played for Arsenal. :confused:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Oxley

cam75
23-07-2014, 01:45 PM
Maka was a permanent signing IIRC, though if he did return to Chelsea it would have only been to amuse a waiting throng of players and coaches excitedly asking him : " Well Maka me old son, did those daft Jocks REALLY believe you are a keeper" ? "Did they REALLY" ? Cue much guffawing. :greengrin
Found this
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6050878.stm

Hibernian Verse
23-07-2014, 01:58 PM

Also worth pointing out that he may be as good as we can get just now, which may not be good enough for SPL which is Stubbs' target. Therefore a loan suits us as well as Hull.

basehibby
23-07-2014, 01:58 PM
At last we look like signing a keeper! I'm assuming that we will be signing another in due course.

Pains me to say it but the Yams have already stolen a march on us in this dept by signing Neil Alexander - an experienced international level keeper with c 400 senior appearances behind him as opposed to 40 odd.

Hibs SHOULD have been in for Alexander as well IMO but were in such a state of disarray that I doubt we even knew he was available. I would like to think that we will be looking out for someone of similar proven quality and that the intention is for Oxley to start the season providing competition and back-up.

E10 Rifle
23-07-2014, 02:04 PM
He went from Hibs to Swansea where he didn't get a game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yves_Ma-Kalambay

He did play for Swansea, you'll recognise him immediately at the first goal!:rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAO7Gu8IUQk

Turkish Green
23-07-2014, 02:07 PM
Hibs SHOULD have been in for Alexander as well IMO but were in such a state of disarray that I doubt we even knew he was available. I would like to think that we will be looking out for someone of similar proven quality and that the intention is for Oxley to start the season providing competition and back-up.
That reads like a solid signing policy: let's wait to see who the yams are after and them jump in and gazump them. Wasn't Butcher after that Osman Sow before he got booted by LD?

What looks clear is that Potter is using that Mark De Vries as a player finder in Holland. I am sure AS has his own contacts after so many years in management with Everton. Just give AS some time, it is not his fault he had a slow start out of the blocks.

Hibbyradge
23-07-2014, 02:16 PM
He did play for Swansea, you'll recognise him immediately at the first goal!:rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAO7Gu8IUQk

That's him, right enough.

Good old Wikiperdia...

According to this site (http://www.andysstats.co.uk/indplayer2.asp?surname=Ma-Kalambay&teamname=Swansea&division=S3&season=201011), that was his last game for Swansea. (He played 4 times).

JimBHibees
23-07-2014, 02:19 PM
At last we look like signing a keeper! I'm assuming that we will be signing another in due course.

Pains me to say it but the Yams have already stolen a march on us in this dept by signing Neil Alexander - an experienced international level keeper with c 400 senior appearances behind him as opposed to 40 odd.

Not so sure about that. How many games has Alexander played in the last 5 years? He is the perennial back up guy.

Oxley played most of the season last year and seems a more physical presence than Alexander is.

Personally dont think we will sign another goalie as if he signs Oxley IMO would be the number one with Combe and the youth keeper as back up. Dont think Hull would be letting Oxley come here if he wasnt starting.

basehibby
23-07-2014, 02:19 PM
That reads like a solid signing policy: let's wait to see who the yams are after and them jump in and gazump them. Wasn't Butcher after that Osman Sow before he got booted by LD?

What looks clear is that Potter is using that Mark De Vries as a player finder in Holland. I am sure AS has his own contacts after so many years in management with Everton. Just give AS some time, it is not his fault he had a slow start out of the blocks.

....erm no - the signing policy you refer to would be being alert to the availability of proven Scotland internationalists to fill positions for which we currently have ZERO cover.

I made no criticism of AS in my post but did refer to the fact that our club was in a state of utter disarray at the time when Alexander was snapped up by the Yams as well as expressing the hope that the ultimate aim is to sign a keeper of similar quality and experience rather than relying on a relatively unproven player to fill such a key position.

RIP Bestie
23-07-2014, 02:26 PM
....erm no - the signing policy you refer to would be being alert to the availability of proven Scotland internationalists to fill positions for which we currently have ZERO cover.

I made no criticism of AS in my post but did refer to the fact that our club was in a state of utter disarray at the time when Alexander was snapped up by the Yams as well as expressing the hope that the ultimate aim is to sign a keeper of similar quality and experience rather than relying on a relatively unproven player to fill such a key position.
You're at it, aren't you?

Ozyhibby
23-07-2014, 02:30 PM
I don't think Alexander is an improvement on Jamie McDonald.

Franck Stanton
23-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Really dinnae get some supporters, we huvnae even signed this guy and there are folk moaning about it only being a loan deal, who gives a flyin' one. IF he does turn out for us, then he, like every other player who represents my club, will receive nothing but 100% support from me.

basehibby
23-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Not so sure about that. How many games has Alexander played in the last 5 years? He is the perennial back up guy.

Oxley played most of the season last year and seems a more physical presence than Alexander is.

Personally dont think we will sign another goalie as if he signs Oxley IMO would be the number one with Combe and the youth keeper as back up. Dont think Hull would be letting Oxley come here if he wasnt starting.

According to his wiki page Alexander played 62 appearances in the last 5 years - albeit much of that WAS as back up to McGregor at the Huns, prior to that he was established number 1 at Cardiff and Ipswich racking up 265 appearances in 7 years - hardly the record of a perennial back-up guy.

The point I'm making though is that Alexander has a proven pedigree - Oxley may or may not be very good but proven he is not.

basehibby
23-07-2014, 02:35 PM
You're at it, aren't you?

Why would that be then??? The guys got caps hasn't he?

basehibby
23-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Anyway - I've got no interest with getting bogged down in petty debates just because I've expressed some pretty reasonable hopes about the aspirations of our club's signing policy.

Welcome to Hibs Mark! I hope you DO earn the right to guard the sticks regularly for Hibernian - good luck in your quest to make the No1 jersey your own :thumbsup:

bingo70
23-07-2014, 02:40 PM

I've not seen any of either keeper but maybe Stubbs has and doesn't rate Alexander or thinks this boy from hull is excellent.

The signing of Alexander would have been a lazy signing, from the area so probably would have joined but is he really the best available?

When was he a first choice keeper last? Oxley was one last season, he might be brilliant, Alexander will only be at best steady.

Iggy Pope
23-07-2014, 02:42 PM
According to his wiki page Alexander played 62 appearances in the last 5 years - albeit much of that WAS as back up to McGregor at the Huns, prior to that he was established number 1 at Cardiff and Ipswich racking up 265 appearances in 7 years - hardly the record of a perennial back-up guy.

The point I'm making though is that Alexander has a proven pedigree - Oxley may or may not be very good but proven he is not.

62 appearances in the last 5 years sounds exactly like a back up guy.
As do his international caps.

Iggy Pope
23-07-2014, 02:43 PM
I've not seen any of either keeper but maybe Stubbs has and doesn't rate Alexander or thinks this boy from hull is excellent.

The signing of Alexander would have been a lazy signing, from the area so probably would have joined but is he really the best available?

When was he a first choice keeper last? Oxley was one last season, he might be brilliant, Alexander will only be at best steady.

And very much a plum.

Jonnyboy
23-07-2014, 02:54 PM

AS said at one of the recent meetings with fans that Alexander was made known to him but he wasn't interested. Nothing to do with being in 'disarray' and everything to do with AS thinking NA wasn't good enough.

I wish I had a quid for every time someone on here has said it's time we signed a keeper. AS is thorough in his assessment of players and if Oxley comes on loan it'll be because he fits all the criteria AS is setting down.

--------
23-07-2014, 03:04 PM
GGTTH

We signed Maka from Chelsea on a free transfer, IIRC. He moved on on a free transfer as well, I think.

Rocastle was on a short-term loan with us. He played for us for about three months, then after getting an injury he decided to go back to Chelsea to fight for his place - pretty odd considering he's since said that TM was "the best coach he'd ever played for" and Chelsea weren't exactly short of world-class midfielders at the time.

I'm not going to start the Maka argument again, but Rocastle was a perfect example of how you CAN pick up a gem on loan, and even sign the guy permanently. Chelsea were more than willing to deal with Hibs, as I recall; the problem was Rocky's unwillingness to come to Hibs permanently. His loss and ours, IMO.

JimBHibees
23-07-2014, 03:06 PM
We signed Maka from Chelsea on a free transfer, IIRC. He moved on on a free transfer as well, I think.

Rocastle was on a short-term loan with us. He played for us for about three months, then after getting an injury he decided to go back to Chelsea to fight for his place - pretty odd considering he's since said that TM was "the best coach he'd ever played for" and Chelsea weren't exactly short of world-class midfielders at the time.

I'm not going to start the Maka argument again, but Rocastle was a perfect example of how you CAN pick up a gem on loan, and even sign the guy permanently. Chelsea were more than willing to deal with Hibs, as I recall; the problem was Rocky's unwillingness to come to Hibs permanently. His loss and ours, IMO.

Did Rocastle not leave because another team was in for him rather than fighting for his Chelsea? Pretty sure he moved on soon after ending his Hibs loan, one of the Sheffield teams comes to mind.

--------
23-07-2014, 03:12 PM
AS said at one of the recent meetings with fans that Alexander was made known to him but he wasn't interested. Nothing to do with being in 'disarray' and everything to do with AS thinking NA wasn't good enough.

I wish I had a quid for every time someone on here has said it's time we signed a keeper. AS is thorough in his assessment of players and if Oxley comes on loan it'll be because he fits all the criteria AS is setting down.

My opinion exactly, John. Neither Dempster nor Stubbs comes over to me as being a mental state of disarray; they seem to me to be working hard to sort out the complete guddle bequeathed to them by the Bloody Butcher and his Evil Twin Malpas.

If I'm right in thinking that Oldham isn't a million miles away from Liverpool (and I am), then I'd be very surprised if AS doesn't already know quite a lot about this lad. He was Everton's youth coach, after all - nothing more likely than him taking a look at a young keeper with a reasonable reputation playing nearby.

PatHead
23-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Maybe AS looked at Alexander's statistics and thought that no first time league games last season, 33 in the lowest league in Scotland the season before and 1 in game each of the 2 previous seasons was not the type of player for his "matrix"

Jonnyboy
23-07-2014, 03:14 PM
My opinion exactly, John. Neither Dempster nor Stubbs comes over to me as being a mental state of disarray; they seem to me to be working hard to sort out the complete guddle bequeathed to them by the Bloody Butcher and his Evil Twin Malpas.

If I'm right in thinking that Oldham isn't a million miles away from Liverpool (and I am), then I'd be very surprised if AS doesn't already know quite a lot about this lad. He was Everton's youth coach, after all - nothing more likely than him taking a look at a young keeper with a reasonable reputation playing nearby.

Exactly Doddie. Mowbray was the same when bringing the likes of Shiels to ER :agree:

--------
23-07-2014, 03:16 PM
Did Rocastle not leave because another team was in for him rather than fighting for his Chelsea? Pretty sure he moved on soon after ending his Hibs loan, one of the Sheffield teams comes to mind.

He DID move on to Wednesday, Jim. IIRC the reason he gave before he left was 'fighting for his place at the Bridge'. Once he was gone he signed up for Wednesday. He hasn't settled anywhere since, so i'd guess he's one of those guys who simply can't be content wherever he is at any given time.

bingo70
23-07-2014, 03:17 PM
Exactly Doddie. Mowbray was the same when bringing the likes of Shiels to ER :agree:

Can we keep mowbray out the debate about keepers please.

HFC 0-7
23-07-2014, 03:20 PM

I agree with this in some ways but it doesnt seem to be addressing the issues we have faced over the last few years. Constant rebuilding has been a major issue at ER for years, loan signings add to this whether its 6 months or 12 months. You want to have loans to compliment the squad, not to be the squad and if the goal is consistency it should be the best parts of your squad. We very rarely keep the good loans, they are snapped up by other teams or price us out. The ones we do keep are the average players that we could probably have signed anyway. If we have to turn to loans every year then we will need to accept yo yo seasons and not sack the managers during one of the poorer seasons.

Jonnyboy
23-07-2014, 03:23 PM

:greengrin Good point, well made :greengrin

PatHead
23-07-2014, 03:25 PM

Thought it was all Gordon Marshall's fault as that was a hibs.net fact at the time.

basehibby
23-07-2014, 03:38 PM

Well I'm glad to hear it - and BTW it IS high time we signed a keeper!

RE Alexander though - that was very quick work on the part of Stubbsy (announced Hibs coach 24th June) for which he should be commended - considering the Yams had announced their deal to sign NA the DAY BEFORE on 23rd June he must have carried out his assessment in double quick time.

Anyway - we ARE getting bogged down here what with various posters trying to rewrite history by stating that we were not in a state of disarray while floundering rudderless for weeks following our unexpected relegation.

Once again - a big welcome and the best of luck to Mark Oxley for his forthcoming career at Hibs (assuming he actually signs) - hopefully the beginning of a further spate of significant signings at Hibs that will get us enthused and looking forward to the challenges ahead.

silverhibee
23-07-2014, 03:39 PM

But there is a difference, the player on loan knows he has a contract with a club to go back to at the end of the year, these loan signings won't be signing full time at the end of the year, yes they will want to do good and impress but remember these players are being put on loan to gain first team football by a manager who has faith in him really isn't to fussed about his stats and more about the experience it has gained the player for his future development.

For the player on the 1 year contract he would maybe be under a bit more pressure to do better to possibly get a improved contract at the club, as for the yams on 1 year contract they will have something in it if they get promoted they will get a extra year or more, you could say the player on the 1 year needs to impress more than a loan player would.

imo :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
23-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Lets face it, after the 11 / 12 season 'loan' has become a dirty word around here.

As has been pointed out even the biggest clubs around think nothing of using loan players, in fact it appears to be a lot more common than it used to be. What we don't want is to fill the team with them.

Like any player loan or signed you will only find out if its going to work out after about a third of the season. Having said that I am at a loss as to why we didn't show an interest in Jamie McDonald who as far as I can see spent most of last season proving he was decent. Surely we could have matched any offer made by Falkirk .................... surely :confused:

Anyway good luck Mark if you do join.

Ozyhibby
23-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Maybe AS looked at Alexander's statistics and thought that no first time league games last season, 33 in the lowest league in Scotland the season before and 1 in game each of the 2 previous seasons was not the type of player for his "matrix"

Matrix, eh?
More infrastructure spending by Hibs. We need players. :-(

Keith_M
23-07-2014, 04:41 PM
I long for those heady days when we had Yogi Hughes' Goalkeeping Academy....

:boo hoo:

BSEJVT
23-07-2014, 06:01 PM
I long for those heady days when we had Yogi Hughes' Goalkeeping Academy....

:boo hoo:

with not one decent keeper among them and comprised of such luminaries as:

Graham Stack

Mark Brown

and the twat who chucked in 6 against Well, whose name thankfully escapes me

David Grof

The academy is dead thank god.

It beggars belief that our Board of Directors of the day didn't just say a flat no to this nonsense request and probably goes a long way to underline the damage that having a board entirely lacking in people from a football background, despite their business attributes, has wreaked on our club over the past 20 odd years.

Cropley10
23-07-2014, 06:04 PM

Spot on mate.

Scouse Hibee
23-07-2014, 06:21 PM

Graham Stack

Mark Brown

David Grof

It beggars belief that our Board of Directors of the day didn't just say a flat no to this nonsense request and probably goes a long way to underline the damage that having a board entirely lacking in people from a football background, despite their business attributes, has wreaked on our club over the past 20 odd years.

Graeme Smith

Harpandcastle
23-07-2014, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE=basehibby;4104536]Well I'm glad to hear it - and BTW it IS high time we signed a keeper!

RE Alexander though - that was very quick work on the part of Stubbsy (announced Hibs coach 24th June) for which he should be commended - considering the Yams had announced their deal to sign NA the DAY BEFORE on 23rd June he must have carried out his assessment in double quick time.

Will have been the guy Gallagher they signed a week or so ago.

Hibstrooper
23-07-2014, 06:39 PM
Graeme Smith

:grr::bitchy::fuming::sick:

Worst of the worst

R'Albin
23-07-2014, 06:41 PM

Graham Stack

Mark Brown

David Grof

In fairness Stack was always a decent keeper, probably at a fairly similar level to Williams, sadly he was just injured far too much.

ekhibee
23-07-2014, 06:46 PM
Despite the good times under Mowbray I'll never forgive him for giving Zibbi an extended contract.

edwards
23-07-2014, 07:05 PM
What is wong with you lot can't you handle us taking on someone we don't know anything about, If he plays a blinder and gets us out of this league won't you want Stubbs to give him a contract if he would accept one. Get a grip and get behind the man FFS.

Petrie Out

O'Rourke3
23-07-2014, 07:27 PM
Think Johnnyboy touched on this. We know we are short of a goalie, there's enough moans on here every hour or so about that.

Perhaps Stubbs can't find or has to wait until the end of the transfer window to land the keeper he wants. So take decisive action now to appease the "We need a goalie" mob and play a longer game for the long term solution. Strategic and tactical at the same time.

Or I could just moan :greengrin. "Aye we need a goalie but no that one. He's too tall, too wee, too ginger, too expensive, to cheap to be good....." add your own.

bigwheel
23-07-2014, 07:28 PM

Worst of the worst

Agreed. 5 at st Johnstone. And 6 at Motherwell. Terrible keeper

allezsauzee
23-07-2014, 07:29 PM
I think it's a great idea for us to take advantage of the loan system, however I would be nervous if we were relying on a loan signing to be our first choice keeper given that he might be recalled at any time.

Sir David Gray
23-07-2014, 07:41 PM
I would rather make a permanent signing than a loan deal but if the guy's the best player on our radar and he's going to improve our squad then I'll settle for that.

Franck Stanton
23-07-2014, 07:46 PM
I think it's a great idea for us to take advantage of the loan system, however I would be nervous if we were relying on a loan signing to be our first choice keeper given that he might be recalled at any time.

Could be wrong here but I am sure that is only in Englandshire, if a player is on loan to a Scottish Club , then he is here until the following transfer window,

CockneyRebel
23-07-2014, 07:53 PM

I think nowadays all loans are for set periods, mostly six months or a year (with the odd short emergency term loan of 1 or 2 months) with no recall option.

Leitherhibs
23-07-2014, 08:23 PM
I would rather make a permanent signing than a loan deal but if the guy's the best player on our radar and he's going to improve our squad then I'll settle for that.

This.

RIP Bestie
23-07-2014, 09:06 PM
Why would that be then??? The guys got caps hasn't he?
So has Paw and Grandpa Broon. Oh and Peter Grant.

macd123
23-07-2014, 10:37 PM

Worst of the worst

Simon brown? Zibi?

TheFamous1875
23-07-2014, 11:13 PM
Graeme Smith

A goal line philanthropist, 'keeping so bad it suggests he was philanthro-pished at the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Iggy Pope
24-07-2014, 10:01 AM
Hull played York in a friendly last night and he didn't feature.
With the exception of the goalie (McGregor), they appear to have fielded two sides, changing the outfield at half time.
Might not be significant........

Lmc2105
24-07-2014, 12:16 PM
Sky Sports reporter just tweeted saying he will join us on a seasons long loan.

Hibs7
24-07-2014, 12:19 PM

That will do for starters ;-)

ALF TUPPER
24-07-2014, 12:23 PM

Kate Abdo ?? :greengrin .............................

Awwwww, ... you said " he will be joining". :aok:

Lmc2105
24-07-2014, 12:26 PM
Kate Abdo ?? :greengrin .............................

Awwwww, ... you said " he will be joining". :aok:

haha i wish :greengrin

Pete O'Rourke :thumbsup:

cmcd
24-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Really dinnae get some supporters, we huvnae even signed this guy and there are folk moaning about it only being a loan deal, who gives a flyin' one. IF he does turn out for us, then he, like every other player who represents my club, will receive nothing but 100% support from me.
Spot on Frank Am fed up reading all these negative posts If i have said it once i have said i 100 times Give the new regime a chance Find it strange these posters think they know better than AS

hfc rd
24-07-2014, 01:08 PM
Seen on the Sky Sports transfer centre, that he's going to sign a 1 year loan deal with us.

Aldo
24-07-2014, 01:12 PM

Things seem to of been moving on in the last few days.

Fingers crossed we get these guys signed.

SteveHFC
24-07-2014, 01:35 PM
Things seem to of been moving on in the last few days.

Fingers crossed we get these guys signed.

How was the injection mate :greengrin

Aldo
24-07-2014, 01:43 PM
How was the injection mate :greengrin

:-(

macd123
24-07-2014, 02:08 PM
Seen on the Sky Sports transfer centre, that he's going to sign a 1 year loan deal with us.

Great news, well done AS!

Diclonius
24-07-2014, 02:33 PM
lol

The doom and gloom has well and truely started then....

Top post.

Taking your user name too seriously.

Underwhelmed with leigh griffiths too I take it?

I dont know what else we expect given our circumstances. This is a guy thats an EPL keeper, trains with EPL players, has experience in a higher league than we are in yet we are still moaning when we haven't seen him play! Lets see what he can do for us before writing him off

I may have slightly misjudged the mood on here. :wink:

For what it's worth I'll admit the original post was a kneejerk reaction to little transfer activity and to what I percieved was a rushed attempt to bring in an untried youngster on loan since we couldn't commit to a permanent deal. After reading up a bit more on the guy and the news that we may have funds to bring in another very good player, I feel more optimistic about this potential signing.

Even if it is another ****in' loan. :wink:

hibees 7062
24-07-2014, 04:18 PM

Did he play last night ?

Iggy Pope
24-07-2014, 04:26 PM
Did he play last night ?

Post # 110.

hibees 7062
24-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Post # 110.

For Hibs ?

Iggy Pope
24-07-2014, 05:28 PM
For Hibs ?

Alan Combe played for the U20s last night. Are you tugging my chain?

Franck Stanton
24-07-2014, 05:48 PM
Hope he has joined us, getting a bit fed up of all the "Can he play in goal ? " posts whenever we are mentioned to be signing this player or that player [sure you know what I mean], - apart from the fact he appears to be a good keeper.

Iggy Pope
24-07-2014, 05:52 PM
Naw

Meanwhile, Hull City goalkeeper Mark Oxley is the latest player to be ... taste of action as Hibs' under-20 side beat Craigroyston 3-0 at St Mark's park

Evening News

I don't understand anything after your .........

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20140724/under-20s-record-friendly-win_2262950_4031288

Alan Combe played.

hibees 7062
24-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Alan Combe played for the U20s last night. Are you tugging my chain?

Really ?

SunshineOnLeith
24-07-2014, 07:27 PM
I was going to read the whole thread before replying but got mired in the latest from BMD's Twitter feed.

After the last few seasons I'm a bit jaded about loan signings, but can see why it could work for a goalie where being a squad player isn't really a good enough option for someone who wants games. Obviously they operate on a different planet from us but Courtois to Atletico Madrid is a good example. I don't know anything about Oxley but if this is that sort of deal then fair enough.

Bid fed up of anyone who objects to a plethora of loan signings having Griffiths and Claros shoved in their face though. If a genuinely exceptional opportunity presents itself to get a player on loan then of course the club should take it, it's signing loan players to be squad players that's frustrating as I think a lot of people, myself included, would rather our own young players be given seats on the bench and the odd start over other clubs' average youngsters.

Pretty Boy
24-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Big laddie and he's played a fair few games in the last couple of seasons and capped by England at youth level.

Happy enough with this signing.

Aldo
24-07-2014, 07:37 PM
Big laddie and he's played a fair few games in the last couple of seasons and capped by England at youth level. Happy enough with this signing. Sorry have I missed summit. Has the laddie signed to play between the sticks PB??

HibbyAndy
24-07-2014, 07:43 PM
Big laddie and he's played a fair few games in the last couple of seasons and capped by England at youth level.

Where did you read he has signed ?

Pretty Boy
24-07-2014, 07:47 PM
Where did you read he has signed ?

Sorry should have said happy enough if it happens. I think it will though if Sky Sports are running with it, they're usually right about this kind of thing.

Iggy Pope
24-07-2014, 07:49 PM
Sorry should have said happy enough if it happens. I think it will though if Sky Sports are running with it, they're usually right about this kind of thing.

Right answer Pretty Boy. Once bitten and all that.

HibbyAndy
24-07-2014, 07:51 PM

:aok:

whereswallace?
24-07-2014, 10:01 PM

I mentioned on the PM board that I have a good few friends that live in Oldham and go to every game. Oxley was on loan there last season. I remember seeing them slate the guy weekly on their facebooks. Asked today opinions and everyone was bad. Infact bad is doing him a credit. I know he's not even signed yet, or indeed might not even sign, but I would be concerned going on opinions of people who watched him over the course of a season.

Iggy Pope
24-07-2014, 10:23 PM
I mentioned on the PM board that I have a good few friends that live in Oldham and go to every game. Oxley was on loan there last season. I remember seeing them slate the guy weekly on their facebooks. Asked today opinions and everyone was bad. Infact bad is doing him a credit. I know he's not even signed yet, or indeed might not even sign, but I would be concerned going on opinions of people who watched him over the course of a season.

Bad was doing him a credit?
Infact at that. Slated.
He's finished isn't he?

whereswallace?
24-07-2014, 10:37 PM
Bad was doing him a credit?
Infact at that. Slated.
He's finished isn't he?

:confused:

R'Albin
24-07-2014, 10:40 PM
Can he play in goal?!

SMAXXA
24-07-2014, 11:27 PM
Can he play in goal?!

Can he work in the canteen or ticket office is surly the question to be asking no?

scoopyboy
25-07-2014, 02:54 AM

Not in a position to argue but see if he was that bad week in week out would he not have been dropped?

bingo70
25-07-2014, 06:02 AM
Not in a position to argue but see if he was that bad week in week out would he not have been dropped?

You'd also question why Stubbs would be interested.

My guess is that he's got all the ability and attributes to be a top goalie but maybe had some lapses in concentration that cost Oldham goals. Stubbs probably feels he can coach this out of him and if he can he'd be an excellent goalie.

Only guessing though.

Elephant Stone
25-07-2014, 06:13 AM
Really just wish someone would give Ben Williams a call.

yerauldda
25-07-2014, 07:27 AM

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php/topic/44660-mark-oxley/

I think they might be taking the piss out you mate..

'much improved' 'player of the month' 'tremendous saves'

Steve20
25-07-2014, 07:30 AM

I think Ben Williams gets a bit overrated by alot of people. Yes, he had a good first season but I thought he was quite average last season, especially the second half of the season. He was probably better than most that we've had in recent years but I'm sure there's better out there.

Nutmegged
25-07-2014, 07:34 AM
He's a young goalkeeper who just had his first taste of week to week first team football - he's bound to make the odd mistake, look at Fraser Forster when he first came to Celtic, you could see his potential but he had to learn the hard way, making mistakes

By all accounts he is very highly rated and thought of, if he has as much potential ability as many seem to believe then there's just absolutely no-way we could get him here if he was the finished article, we have to nurture him and help him develop just as much as its important that he helps us - thats the very reasoning behind clubs trusting you enough to loan out a player with potential.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
25-07-2014, 07:42 AM

I think he is training with Doncaster.

Aldo
25-07-2014, 07:57 AM
I think he is training with Doncaster.

He is.

Tbh he's had his time at ER and think we can do better.

Hoping for some more news today on signings.

Would also like to see the new away strip???

Billy Whizz
25-07-2014, 08:09 AM
Would also like to see the new away strip???

If Hibs had any sense they would have it launched so fans can buy it on Sunday at the game

bingo70
25-07-2014, 08:14 AM
If Hibs had any sense they would have it launched so fans can buy it on Sunday at the game

I saw somewhere that's what is happening, possibly that Facebook page so might be pish but sure I heard it'd be launched today or tomorrow and in shop on Sunday.

Keith_M
25-07-2014, 08:17 AM

Maybe they're scared after the reaction to the home strip.

Aldo
25-07-2014, 08:20 AM

Maybe that's what's planned for today Billy. New signing (s) and away strip revealed.

Would like it to have a button up collar.

blackpoolhibs
25-07-2014, 08:37 AM
My source tells me Ben Williams is training at Doncaster Rovers. :wink:

--------
25-07-2014, 08:58 AM

I haven't seen him, and I don't know how dependable the opinions of your mates are, but the guy played 40 games or so last season for Oldham, and Steve Bruce isn't punting him but sending him out on loan to get experience, so something doesn't add up.

If the laddie signs, we need to give him a chance.

Not assemble the lynch-mob during half-time at his first game.

Which is what the great and the good of the Hibs support usually do when a new guy makes a mistake. :rolleyes:

Personally, I hope we get him. He sounds a very good signing.

scotia44
25-07-2014, 09:05 AM

I think Jim Leighton amongst others will testify that a goalkeeper needs confidence and ok the guy may have had a shaky time at Oldham by all your accounts but as I said Jim Leighton is the greatest example of goalkeeper who lost his way and came to Hibs and was outstanding.

Moral of the story give the guy a chance should he sign :aok:

whereswallace?
25-07-2014, 10:00 AM

Havent got a clue mate, I'm only going on what Iv been told from guys that watched him every week and sharing their opinions. Never seen him in my life so can't judge. Doesn't mean he wouldn't be good for us though, as we see all the time players just perform better at certain clubs. Also young for a keeper and another season experience under his belt so who knows.

Spike Mandela
25-07-2014, 10:20 AM
I haven't seen him, and I don't know how dependable the opinions of your mates are, but the guy played 40 games or so last season for Oldham, and Steve Bruce isn't punting him but sending him out on loan to get experience, so something doesn't add up.

If the laddie signs, we need to give him a chance.

Not assemble the lynch-mob during half-time at his first game.

Which is what the great and the good of the Hibs support usually do when a new guy makes a mistake. :rolleyes:

Personally, I hope we get him. He sounds a very good signing.

I agree with you Doddie I just have deep misgivings about relying on such a young goalkeeper. Yes there are great young keepers, Craig Gordon and David Marshall springs to mind, but I really thought Hibs would have brought in an experienced keeper this season who has been over the course and knows how to command a defence.

We have done well in this regard in the past Budgie and Jim Leighton for instance, guys in the twilight of their career but a solid pair of hands. Goalkeeping is such a specialist position that there will be loads of experienced keepers sitting as 2nd or 3rd choices at clubs that might fancy one last crack at being no 1 keeper at a club like ours for 2-3 years.

--------
25-07-2014, 11:12 AM
I agree with you Doddie I just have deep misgivings about relying on such a young goalkeeper. Yes there are great young keepers, Craig Gordon and David Marshall springs to mind, but I really thought Hibs would have brought in an experienced keeper this season who has been over the course and knows how to command a defence.

We have done well in this regard in the past Budgie and Jim Leighton for instance, guys in the twilight of their career but a solid pair of hands. Goalkeeping is such a specialist position that there will be loads of experienced keepers sitting as 2nd or 3rd choices at clubs that might fancy one last crack at being no 1 keeper at a club like ours for 2-3 years.

Totally appreciate what you're saying, Spike. I think MO has the ability to be a very good keeper - this coming season, for whoever he plays for. My worry is that the boo-boys will get to him as I believe they got to one or two other of our keepers in the recent past, and that we won't get the best from him.

This is where signing old hands like Jimbo and Budgie makes sense. I don't think anything could have dented Budgie's sense of self-esteem - "Oy, Hateley - you come in my box I'll break yer legs!" - and Leighton was simply one of the very best goalkeepers I have ever seen - on TV, in the flesh, whatever. Both were well capable of pulling off the 'impossible' save that turned the match for us - and then doing it again right at the end to clinch the victory.

We won't get another like them, unfortunately, I fear, but we need someone as good at least as Ben W was in his first season here.

And yes - commanding the defence is essential. Whoever plays centre-back, whether we play a back four, five or three-with-strong wingers, they need to know where the goalie is, what he's about to do, and where the opposing players are.

Pity Brucie-baby wouldn't let us have Steve Harper for a season .... :wink:

Sir David Gray
25-07-2014, 11:19 AM

It's a no-brainer for me.

At least give him the opportunity, he can only say no and if he doesn't fancy coming back to us then we know where we stand and we can both move on.

I'm not suggesting for one second that there's no-one out there within our budget who's better than Ben Williams but he's the best goalkeeper I've seen at Hibs in well over a decade and from looking in from the outside, the people who Williams would have had an issue with at Hibs (i.e. Butcher and Malpas) are no longer here.

Maybe Hibs have done this already, of course, and he has turned us down and if that's the case then fair enough but if not then I think Stubbs should be on the phone to his agent as soon as possible.

BSEJVT
25-07-2014, 11:58 AM
It's a no-brainer for me.

At least give him the opportunity, he can only say no and if he doesn't fancy coming back to us then we know where we stand and we can both move on.

I'm not suggesting for one second that there's no-one out there within our budget who's better than Ben Williams but he's the best goalkeeper I've seen at Hibs in well over a decade and from looking in from the outside, the people who Williams would have had an issue with at Hibs (i.e. Butcher and Malpas) are no longer here.

Maybe Hibs have done this already, of course, and he has turned us down and if that's the case then fair enough but if not then I think Stubbs should be on the phone to his agent as soon as possible.

Sorry have never understood the Williams love-in.

IMO he was a very limited keeper whose first season penalty saves bought him more kudos than his all round game deserved.

I also think he benefited greatly from following a long succession of very poor keepers that would have made Bongo the one armed juggler look like Gordon Banks.

Hibeesmad
25-07-2014, 12:01 PM

Wolves fans were the exact same towards Leigh Griffiths and he is one of the best players we have had in years. This Oxley obviously has talent if Hull have had him on their books for the last few years. If he is Stubbs's no.1 choice and he brings him in then I have 100% trust in Stubbs's decision

Hibbyradge
25-07-2014, 12:12 PM

IMO he was a very limited keeper whose first season penalty saves bought him more kudos than his all round game deserved.

I also think he benefited greatly from following a long succession of very poor keepers that would have made Bongo the one armed juggler look like Gordon Banks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/content/images/2008/01/18/banks_save_315x470.jpg

Bongo

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/UHSjLXDKIjQ/0.jpg

Gordon Banks

jdships
25-07-2014, 12:19 PM

Got to agree with you :top marks on this
I was a bit miffed when he/we decided he was leaving but a few weeks on and my son pulled out some downloads/videos of him over his spell at ER and it comes across very clearly , to us anyway :greengrin, that first and foremost he was a " shotstopper " and a good one at that !!
Only our opinion but there you are !!:wink:

We move on as always !!

blackpoolhibs
25-07-2014, 12:22 PM

:agree: the amount of gaffs he made were somehow ignored because we won most of the games they were in, or he saved a penalty to even it up. Or we were completely pumped as we were against celtic a few times, where he let in real blunders.

A decent keeper for our standard, but lets try and get someone better. They are out there.

RIP Bestie
25-07-2014, 12:29 PM

Indeed.
Totally agree. Average at best.

BSEJVT
25-07-2014, 12:47 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/content/images/2008/01/18/banks_save_315x470.jpg

Bongo

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/UHSjLXDKIjQ/0.jpg

Gordon Banks

Good find Dave!

Nevi_SOL
25-07-2014, 01:54 PM
Any news on mark oxley?

GGTTH

Big_Franck
25-07-2014, 02:41 PM
Any news on mark oxley?

GGTTH

This is this:

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Hull-City-Keeper-Mark-Oxley-decide-loan-Hibernian/story-21937323-detail/story.html

NadeAteMyLunch!
25-07-2014, 03:02 PM
I want players who want to play for our great club. Williams made it clear he wasn't interested in staying so I wouldn't want to see him back just because he has no better options.
MO has only 12 months left on his contract. If he came to us and done ok then there could be potential for him to stay if he was still looking like 4th choice at Hull

Keith_M
25-07-2014, 03:14 PM
This is this:

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Hull-City-Keeper-Mark-Oxley-decide-loan-Hibernian/story-21937323-detail/story.html

"Oxley is remarkably City's longest-serving first-team player, despite only making one sub appearance in January 2013"

Wow!

Aldo
25-07-2014, 03:17 PM
I want players who want to play for our great club. Williams made it clear he wasn't interested in staying so I wouldn't want to see him back just because he has no better options. MO has only 12 months left on his contract. If he came to us and done ok then there could be potential for him to stay if he was still looking like 4th choice at Hull

Yip agree re Williams.

Oxley will be hoping to impress if he's in his final year.

Tom Hart RIP
25-07-2014, 07:46 PM
AS said today that he was very very very close to signing goalkeeper and although wouldn't conform it was MO there is no doubt that was who he was talking about. The other keeper who was on trial last week is away and won't be returning.

macd123
25-07-2014, 08:42 PM

He kept us in plenty of games and was the most reliable keeper we have had for years and years. I wish he had stayed but now he has gone we should move on. I m not sure he would come back with marsella kicking about the place.

NadeAteMyLunch!
25-07-2014, 08:44 PM
I've got a feeling this could be announced tomor. In the team for Sunday

SteveHFC
25-07-2014, 08:46 PM
I've got a feeling this could be announced tomor. In the team for Sunday

Riordan is also to be confirmed tomorrow :agree::greengrin

NadeAteMyLunch!
25-07-2014, 08:47 PM
Riordan is also to be confirmed tomorrow :agree::greengrin

Brilliant!! Starting on Sunday? Should shift another 1,500 season tickets

SteveHFC
25-07-2014, 08:49 PM
Brilliant!! Starting on Sunday? Should shift another 1,500 season tickets

Likely. McFadden will sign on Monday along with Freddy Adu and Garry Kenneth :greengrin

NadeAteMyLunch!
25-07-2014, 08:57 PM
Likely. McFadden will sign on Monday along with Freddy Adu and Garry Kenneth :greengrin

Happy with all of them. Just need this Icelandic striker and Julien Brellier and we'll have a decent chance in this league

SteveHFC
25-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Happy with all of them. Just need this Icelandic striker and Julien Brellier and we'll have a decent chance in this league

Kujabi is coming back :D

NadeAteMyLunch!
25-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Kujabi is coming back :D

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHH!!!lol

SteveHFC
25-07-2014, 09:05 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHH!!!lol

Might as well just award Hearts 12pts already :(

Thecat23
25-07-2014, 09:05 PM

By the way Hibs have spoke to Faddy and an offer is on the table. I'm not the only one on here that has had info regarding him. He's spoken twice as far as I know and we said he's a deal if you want it. He's still not refused as far as I know.

SteveHFC
25-07-2014, 09:07 PM
By the way Hibs have spoke to Faddy and an offer is on the table. I'm not the only one on here that has had info regarding him. He's spoken twice as far as I know and we said he's a deal if you want it. He's still not refused as far as I know.

This would make my summer. Would love it if McFadden signs

http://i.imgur.com/lCXAdRw.gif

Thecat23
25-07-2014, 09:07 PM

Think he'd do well in the championship to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveHFC
25-07-2014, 09:08 PM
Think he'd do well in the championship to be honest.

Same. McFadden and El Alagui upfront with Cummings and Heffernan as back up would do for me.

NadeAteMyLunch!
25-07-2014, 09:11 PM

Also think this could be such an important signing. He might not play every week but he would be great for the youngsters. Would be a good signing for the fans and to show a bit of intent as well. Sounds a lot like he's waiting to see if he can get better though. Know of any other clubs that have shown an interest? Did I read that there had been contact from a team in the states? Seems odd that its almost Aug and he ain't sorted yet

H18Y GW
25-07-2014, 09:16 PM

Id harbour a guess that in the last 20 games he was culpable for an average of a goal a game,yip 20 goals, throw in howlers v Malmo and Raith in the cup and i cant see why he is wanted.

His main asset was his shot stopping/reaction saves but from when Willo Flood scored at The sheep with him leaving AKA Maka,it was downhill all the way

hibeesjoe
25-07-2014, 09:30 PM
My source tells me Ben Williams is training at Doncaster Rovers. :wink:

Is that not who he came from or am I missing a total members only wind up 😞

IanM
25-07-2014, 10:04 PM

He's still not accepted either then.. We've been told we need players that want to play for hibs.. Yes/No answer please James, shouldn't take much pondering!

Thecat23
25-07-2014, 10:11 PM
He's still not accepted either then.. We've been told we need players that want to play for hibs.. Yes/No answer please James, shouldn't take much pondering!

Sadly he's not. Like yourself surely to god he'll now know if he wants to be part of the team.

Leitherhibs
25-07-2014, 10:42 PM
Sadly he's not. Like yourself surely to god he'll now know if he wants to be part of the team.

Hes been training with Partick Thistle for the last 1-2 weeks, to keep himself fit.

CallumLaidlaw
25-07-2014, 10:44 PM
Tell you what, I'd be delighted if McFadden was added to the 3 we've brought in so far.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
25-07-2014, 10:47 PM
Tell you what, I'd be delighted if McFadden was added to the 3 we've brought in so far.

Me too. Would lead by example and would be great for the youngsters to look up to and learn from.

Thecat23
25-07-2014, 10:48 PM
Hes been training with Partick Thistle for the last 1-2 weeks, to keep himself fit.

I never knew that mate. All I know is we offered a deal pretty early on then another poster confirmed it to me as well.

Be great if he did sign but I'm now thinking surely he could have trained with us even to give him an idea of our setup!

Leitherhibs
25-07-2014, 10:55 PM
I never knew that mate. All I know is we offered a deal pretty early on then another poster confirmed it to me as well.

Be great if he did sign but I'm now thinking surely he could have trained with us even to give him an idea of our setup!

Dont think they are in for him or likely to be, as they have plenty options in that area and frankly i doubt they could afford his demands, but good for us if he were to sign that hes getting a pre season of sorts i suppose.

Thecat23
25-07-2014, 10:56 PM
Dont think they are in for him or likely to be, as they have plenty options in that area and frankly i doubt they could afford his demands, but good for us if he were to sign that hes getting a pre season of sorts i suppose.

Yeah at least he'll be fit.

SMAXXA
25-07-2014, 10:57 PM

I'm not sure he has actually been offered anything mate, certainly nothing concrete the first few weeks into the job for big alan. Time will tell,but I'm led to believe he is holding out for a deal in the top flight with UTD or ST Johnston keen on him. Will be late in the window if not out with it for him IMO.

Thecat23
25-07-2014, 10:59 PM
I'm not sure he has actually been offered anything mate, certainly nothing concrete the first few weeks into the job for big alan. Time will tell,but I'm led to believe he is holding out for a deal in the top flight with UTD or ST Johnston keen on him. Will be late in the window if not out with it for him IMO.

I was told Hibs offered him a years deal and to go think about it as he has other options. This came from a player mate who knows him.

Either way if rather he signed quickly but if it's not meant to be then we move on.

KeithTheHibby
26-07-2014, 07:10 AM
I was told Hibs offered him a years deal and to go think about it as he has other options. This came from a player mate who knows him.

Either way if rather he signed quickly but if it's not meant to be then we move on.

I wonder where he would play? He's an attacking midfielder and looking at the squad we already have Craig, Robertson, Stanton, OTJ and Allan who are likely to play CM. I have never been sure of Faddys natural position however I'm sure he could play just behind the main striker?

Thecat23
26-07-2014, 07:13 AM
I wonder where he would play? He's an attacking midfielder and looking at the squad we already have Craig, Robertson, Stanton, OTJ and Allan who are likely to play CM. I have never been sure of Faddys natural position however I'm sure he could play just behind the main striker?

I think in the hole just off the striker would suit him. He'd score a fair few goals in the championship IMO. Be a good signing if we did get him but the longer it goes on the less chance I think of him coming.

Canongatehibs
26-07-2014, 07:27 AM
Also think this could be such an important signing. He might not play every week but he would be great for the youngsters. Would be a good signing for the fans and to show a bit of intent as well. Sounds a lot like he's waiting to see if he can get better though. Know of any other clubs that have shown an interest? Did I read that there had been contact from a team in the states? Seems odd that its almost Aug and he ain't sorted yet

Crucially, he's exactly the sort of player the huns would like to have in their Championship side.

Col2
26-07-2014, 08:01 AM

Yup TC is correct. Interest and offer made. All gone quiet but i wonder if its one of AS jigsaw pieces that balance youth with experience? Especially if as expected we bring in a couple of Everton young loanees.

Re where he can play. He can play in midfield, in the hole, just off a main striker or up front. He would be a fantastic addition to the club, would help with youngsters and i also understand has a very strong disliking to one Craig Levein!

AlbertK86
26-07-2014, 09:00 AM
Yup TC is correct. Interest and offer made. All gone quiet but i wonder if its one of AS jigsaw pieces that balance youth with experience? Especially if as expected we bring in a couple of Everton young loanees. Re where he can play. He can play in midfield, in the hole, just off a main striker or up front. He would be a fantastic addition to the club, would help with youngsters and i also understand has a very strong disliking to one Craig Levein!

Dislikes Levein don't we all !!!

Good get him in

Amit
27-07-2014, 09:50 PM
Oxley has signed. Should be announced tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

down-the-slope
27-07-2014, 09:57 PM
Oxley has signed. Should be announced tomorrow.

when you say signed - is that perm or loan?

woodythehibee
27-07-2014, 10:02 PM
when you say signed - is that perm or loan?

I would imagine 1 year loan. He is out of contract next year so he will be playing to earn a contract (with us I would assume)

Amit
27-07-2014, 10:03 PM
Don't have details but assume it's a year long loan. Source G Stott.

PatHead
27-07-2014, 10:12 PM
Heard it is dotting I s and crossing ts.

hibby67
27-07-2014, 10:46 PM
did not make the game today due to being on night shift..... how did he play?

Franck Stanton
27-07-2014, 11:10 PM
did not make the game today due to being on night shift..... how did he play?

He really didn't have that much to do. had no chance with their goal. What little he did have to do, mainly pass-backs, cutting out crosses, mundane things but he did them well. Was always quick to "field" the ball early and was always shouting at the defenders telling them what he wanted. Certainly looked the part. Early days though, early days.

hibby67
27-07-2014, 11:19 PM
He really didn't have that much to do. had no chance with their goal. What little he did have to do, mainly pass-backs, cutting out crosses, mundane things but he did them well. Was always quick to "field" the ball early and was always shouting at the defenders telling them what he wanted. Certainly looked the part. Early days though, early days.

cheers .......... :aok:

Pedantic_Hibee
28-07-2014, 05:30 AM
Three chaps from Everton arriving today. Not been given names I'm afraid.

TRC
28-07-2014, 05:38 AM
Is it these guys

California-Hibs
28-07-2014, 05:52 AM

Signing or in for a trial?

bingo70
28-07-2014, 06:09 AM

Won't be a trial needed as I'm sure Stubbs knows them well already.

Pedantic_Hibee
28-07-2014, 06:34 AM

Not entirely sure, CH.

California-Hibs
28-07-2014, 08:25 AM

That's what I figured. Either way, with Rangers next week and then the big kick off just 4 days after that, I think this is the week of a few signings that'll be announced!

brog
28-07-2014, 09:49 AM

That's certainly true that he'll know them already but probably only in the context of playing development football in England. He'll want to see how they fit in at ER, how they handle being away from home & playing at a different level. I wouldn't rule Hope out yet, he only played last 15 on Sunday but until Everton get Lukaku or someone else in they can't afford to let him go. I would expect a maximum of 2 of these players to sign up for a season. Nice to see things still happening though.

Hibeesmad
28-07-2014, 09:55 AM

They expected to sign today mate?

mim
28-07-2014, 10:07 AM
Is it these guys

No. They are with the Saudi Arabia under 11 girls team :greengrin

BOB MARLEYS DUG
28-07-2014, 10:12 AM

Interesting:agree:

Not heard anything, but I reckon one of them may be Matthew Kennedy.

blackpoolhibs
28-07-2014, 10:17 AM

I have heard something, but i'm not telling you. :greengrin

BOB MARLEYS DUG
28-07-2014, 10:20 AM
I have heard something, but i'm not telling you. :greengrin

I don't want you to tell me anyway :greengrin :wink:

brog
28-07-2014, 10:54 AM

Not unless he jumped in the Tardis to come back from Thailand it won't be. Conor McAleny was also on trip & played 45 last night so not him either.

TRC
28-07-2014, 10:57 AM
I think people saying he won't come cause he's in Thailand could be wrong can these things not be sorted over the phone now a days?

Leithenhibby
28-07-2014, 11:08 AM

Was told yesterday that Oxley had signed, cant confirm if deal or loan and a couple of Everton boys will arrive on loan....

brog
28-07-2014, 11:09 AM
I think people saying he won't come cause he's in Thailand could be wrong can these things not be sorted over the phone now a days?

I don't think that's why they're saying that. It's because Hope is away with the 1st team therefore on the surface he appears to be in RM's plans. Re Kennedy, I'm just saying its a physical impossibility for him to be in Edinburgh today given he was in Thailand yesterday. FWIW I believe Hope remains a live possibility. At moment Everton have no out & out strikers on their books which probably explains his presence in Bangkok.

andrew70
28-07-2014, 11:22 AM

I ain't got a clue but I'd like Matthew Pennington, Conor Grant and George Green. Plus Oxley and maybe a more defensive midfielder then I think we'd be good to go. But that's maybe hoping for too much.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
28-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Was told yesterday that Oxley had signed, cant confirm if deal or loan and a couple of Everton boys will arrive on loan....

The Ox is a season long loan.

Hibstrooper
28-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Fair play to Daily Record, they were the first ones to call this deal and also first to break news about Allan. They seem to be getting good info about Hibs

Spike Mandela
28-07-2014, 11:28 AM
If we are going down the loan route I would rather go for experienced players than youth players.

Billy Whizz
28-07-2014, 11:30 AM
Signed on a 6 month loan

SaulGoodman
Confirmed, 6 month loan

lucky

Wrong again he's signed for 6 months.

silverhibee
28-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Fair play to Daily Record, they were the first ones to call this deal and also first to break news about Allan. They seem to be getting good info about Hibs

Leeann using her vinegar connections.

Thecat23
28-07-2014, 11:32 AM
Wrong again he's signed for 6 months.

He'll stay the year though unless something drastic happens at Hull and they want him back.

PatHead
28-07-2014, 11:33 AM

Says 6 months on fishy site. Oh who will I believe?

Hibby Gav
28-07-2014, 11:34 AM
Welcome Ox !

ggth

dave62
28-07-2014, 11:37 AM
Welcome to Hibs, Mark. :scarf:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
28-07-2014, 11:39 AM
He's here, that's the main thing.

Welcome Ox!

Manxhibs
28-07-2014, 11:44 AM
He's here, that's the main thing.

Welcome Ox!

In BMD's defence (not that he needs it), the BBC website states 6 months with the view to extending to a year.

Jones28
28-07-2014, 11:46 AM
Maybe the length was the delay in him signing?

Mon the Ox!

WestCoastHibby
28-07-2014, 11:52 AM
Potentially an excellent signing in whatever form..... I am beginning to look forward to times ahead.

GreenCastle
28-07-2014, 11:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j42orhkK8p0

Welcome :aok:

Golden Bear
28-07-2014, 12:43 PM
A contract is a two way agreement so maybe it's a case that an initial 6 month loan deal suited both the Player and the Club.

Speedway
28-07-2014, 12:49 PM
If he turns out to be Tom Kite we get to punt him. If he's good we get to extend.

What the problem?

Pedantic_Hibee
28-07-2014, 03:56 PM
They expected to sign today mate?

Again, no idea I'm afraid. Info came from LD though so I'd be pretty confident the three arrived today!

HibbyKeith
28-07-2014, 06:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j42orhkK8p0

Welcome :aok:

Have to laugh at Hibernian TV claiming that interview is today. It clearly looks like it was yesterday. Still a ton of seagulls and litter blowing around the pitch.

I just watched the skysports interview with Jackie Macnamara and they are taking the goals down behind him.. unless of course they got tired and just left the south stand goals up over night.

Oxley looks like he's been given a clean top for the pretend its tomorrow interview. :greengrin

Joking aside I'm glad to finally have a keeper in place. Starting to get a bit excited about the new season. Never thought I'd be saying that a few weeks ago.

Jonnyboy
28-07-2014, 06:19 PM
If he turns out to be Tom Kite we get to punt him. If he's good we get to extend.

What the problem?

:agree: This

Jonnyboy
28-07-2014, 06:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j42orhkK8p0