PDA

View Full Version : Question Seen the pre-season matches? How are you feeling re: season ahead?

TheFamous1875
22-07-2014, 02:50 PM
I thought it would be interesting to make a thread only addressed to those who've actually seen us in pre-season this year and ask them how they're feeling.

With patience wearing thin amongst some posters, it'd be good if people who've saw us in action told how they feel about the upcoming season after what they've seen with their own eyes. Most of us haven't been able to catch the team live, so it'd be good to hear exclusively from the people who have and see how they're feeling after seeing the team and the new players.

It would be interesting to see if any of you still have the trepidation that a lot of us seem to have re: lack of signings, or if you're feeling a lot more optimistic after seeing us in action.

HappyAsHellas
22-07-2014, 03:26 PM
This season it appears that we are going to play passing style football which makes a welcome change. Players have so far looked comfortable with the ball, and go looking for it, with no-one hiding. It is genuinely refreshing to see and can only lead to better things ahead. If we maintain this style and strengthen the squad in the next week or so, then I see no reason as to why we should not be challenging for everything this season. The biggest test will be on Sunday against United, but I feel confident we will give a good account of ourselves.
Got my tickets and can't wait.:flag:

ekhibee
22-07-2014, 03:36 PM
This season it appears that we are going to play passing style football which makes a welcome change. Players have so far looked comfortable with the ball, and go looking for it, with no-one hiding. It is genuinely refreshing to see and can only lead to better things ahead. If we maintain this style and strengthen the squad in the next week or so, then I see no reason as to why we should not be challenging for everything this season. The biggest test will be on Sunday against United, but I feel confident we will give a good account of ourselves.
Got my tickets and can't wait.:flag:
If DU are anywhere near full strength I think we'll get humped. Quite how much we learn from friendlies is open to debate, but like you I am hoping that we do manage to get a few more players in before the new season starts.

scuttle
22-07-2014, 03:51 PM
Manager and backroom staff are clearly trying to be professional and introducing a football philosophy of the ball staying on the deck .Stubbs has tried several formations which is refreshing. We MUST bring In more quality though if we re going to do anything this season.Have looked reasonable against lesser opposition but think we will struggle against the big boys unless we strengthen pretty soon

NAE NOOKIE
22-07-2014, 04:07 PM
We will be best placed to answer that question after we have played Dundee Utd and the Zombies. The standard of opposition we have faced up till now isn't even on a par with what we will be up against. This club with virtually the same players were gubbed at home by a mid table Championship team last season in the cup and seriously outplayed on our own patch by the team which finished second in that league.

I'm in no position to judge having only seen the Vale friendly, however I cant use our recent run of friendly results as a reason for optimism, or a lack of it.

Eternal Hibbie
22-07-2014, 04:30 PM
Haven't seen them, still traumatised, no reason for optimism right now. :(

Edit : oops, just read post properly.

Golden Bear
22-07-2014, 05:16 PM
We will be best placed to answer that question after we have played Dundee Utd and the Zombies. The standard of opposition we have faced up till now isn't even on a par with what we will be up against. This club with virtually the same players were gubbed at home by a mid table Championship team last season in the cup and seriously outplayed on our own patch by the team which finished second in that league.

I'm in no position to judge having only seen the Vale friendly, however I cant use our recent run of friendly results as a reason for optimism, or a lack of it.

:agree:

Likewise. Although it's pleasing to see that the previous hoof ball approach has well and truly been hoofed in to touch. Enjoying my football fix is very important to me so here's hoping that AS can produce both a winning and entertaining side.

:thumbsup:

Baldy Foghorn
22-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Happy with the style of play, but would like to see another 3 or 4 players added, who could improve our squad

3pm
22-07-2014, 05:39 PM
Happy with the style of play, but would like to see another 3 or 4 players added, who could improve our squad

You going to ask Stubbs the night?!

Who is breaking?! And is it still those daft rules?!

:o)

hibs0666
22-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Shape has looked good, just need to add quality to make it zing.

Baldy Foghorn
22-07-2014, 07:30 PM
You going to ask Stubbs the night?!

Who is breaking?! And is it still those daft rules?!

:o)

Not going R, sorry would love to have given you another game, maybe Sunday? Still daft rules I'm afraid:wink:

B.H.F.C
22-07-2014, 07:36 PM
Happy with what I've seen in terms of what Stubbs is trying to do.

I don't think we are far from having a good starting 11. Of the team that played at Stirling I think 3 new players make it a good side for the championship. We'd be knackered as soon as we got a couple of injuries though.

3pm
22-07-2014, 10:16 PM
Not going R, sorry would love to have given you another game, maybe Sunday? Still daft rules I'm afraid:wink:

Nae worries, we can have a game.....unless the auld yin is taking the car!

dangermouse
23-07-2014, 07:02 AM
I've seen three of the games (Berwick, Pars, Albion) and the style of play is very pleasing on the eye, even the Admiral looks like a football player, however, the opposition have not really tested us.

The game I was most looking forward to was the Pars. I thought that would be a better test for us but the way both teams played I came to the conclusion it was all a money making exercise for the Pars.

On Sunday it was good to see Farid in the starting 11 but he was a bit rusty but once he regains his fitness I'm sure he'll bang the goals in. Reminded be a bit of Mixu.

The real test comes on Sunday against the Arabs. A win against them will prove that we are going in the right direction. If you haven't been to a game yet, get yourself along to this one and get right behind the team to help expunge the nightmare of last season.

Phil MaGlass
23-07-2014, 07:35 AM
From what I see of the squad I dont think we have what it takes for second, we need new faces and fast, we need to hit the ground running at the beginning of the season. The D.Utd game will tell you where we are and I feel that Utd will win by more than 2 goals.
Hopefully not, but we are woefully far behind the rest of the field.
It is though encouraging to see Stubbs wanting the team to play football on the deck, as it should be, maybe it will get the best out of our players, who knows.

Brightside
23-07-2014, 07:36 AM
Delighted. Fully expect us to win the league.

Bishop Hibee
23-07-2014, 07:39 AM
I saw the Stirling game. Good to see the ball on the deck. Stirling were poor though. As others have said, the squad is threadbare and we need 4 good signings inc a keeper to compete at the top end of the table.