PDA

View Full Version : Gounet.

Keith_M
21-07-2014, 12:44 PM
What did everybody that actually saw him on Saturday think of this guy?

:dunno:

Stubbs and the rest of the Coaching Staff have much better experience and ability than I do to spot a player but, I must admit to being a bit concerned, after reading the match reports and given he's never played at a decent level in his career.

He might just be rusty and it was only one game, so who knows.

givescotlandfreedom
21-07-2014, 12:48 PM
He didn't have very much to do. At one point he came racing off his line and out the box to beat and Stirling forward to the ball and slid in to clear it. Unfortunately the clearance only went as far as another one of their players and he whipped the ball in and they got a couple of glorious chances that were only kept out by the heroics of Hanlon.

greenlex
21-07-2014, 01:14 PM
He didn't have very much to do. At one point he came racing off his line and out the box to beat and Stirling forward to the ball and slid in to clear it. Unfortunately the clearance only went as far as another one of their players and he whipped the ball in and they got a couple of glorious chances that were only kept out by the heroics of Hanlon.
This. He was very comfortable with the ball at both feet but that decision although the correct one wasn't executed particularly well. Should have been row Z

Bishop Hibee
21-07-2014, 01:16 PM
A bit wee. I'd play him v Utd before making a decision.

Turkish Green
21-07-2014, 01:20 PM
I must admit to being a bit concerned, after reading the match reports and given he's never played at a decent level in his career.

The guy is 24 and Saturday was his first ever 1st team game in 3 seasons at Tours, 2 seasons at Brentford and 1 season without a club.

If he does have talent then why has it not been spotted up till now. I believe he comes from a wealthy family who are financing his attempts at making it as a professional footballer.

A back-up keeper maybe, but surely not No 1 goalkeeper material.

Brightside
21-07-2014, 01:23 PM

Stubbs and the rest of the Coaching Staff have much better experience and ability than I do to spot a player but, I must admit to being a bit concerned, after reading the match reports and given he's never played at a decent level in his career.

He did nothing wrong (apart from the aforementioned slide tackle). I do think Stubbs has another goalie who has "almost" signed.

GreenCastle
21-07-2014, 01:39 PM
http://vimeo.com/65048997

He looks decent in this video but my worry is that he's only played 40 games for a French 2nd Division club.

You get experience playing games but at 25 surely he should have played more ?

Phil D. Rolls
21-07-2014, 01:41 PM

Gotskallsen?

Tynie01011973
21-07-2014, 01:45 PM
The guy is 24 and Saturday was his first ever 1st team game in 3 seasons at Tours, 2 seasons at Brentford and 1 season without a club.

If he does have talent then why has it not been spotted up till now. I believe he comes from a wealthy family who are financing his attempts at making it as a professional footballer.

He's 25 and he has played for Brentford's first team 'Gounet made his first team debut in an FA Cup second round replay against Bradford City at Griffin Park on December 18, 2012'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_Gounet

:rolleyes:

Gordy M
21-07-2014, 01:49 PM

Did AS not say that they had 'almost completed' the signing of another keeper, i would suggest that Gounet is being lined up as a 2nd choice keeper. It also means that AS is making attempts to sign a keeper, not that you would know it reading some of the threads??

Turkish Green
21-07-2014, 01:50 PM
http://vimeo.com/65048997

He looks decent in this video but my worry is that he's only played 40 games for a French 2nd Division club.

Incorrect. He did not play for a French 2nd Division Club (Tours). He played for their amateur side Tours B which play in the Championnat de France Amateur Division 2 (CFA 2). This is the 5th Tier in the French pyramid.

It would appear that he had 40 games for Tours B.

Turkish Green
21-07-2014, 01:57 PM
He's 25 and he has played for Brentford's first team 'Gounet made his first team debut in an FA Cup second round replay against Bradford City at Griffin Park on December 18, 2012'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_Gounet

According to your attached Wiki link he has not played for Brentford (maybe they do not count cup games in the totals), although it does mention it in the write up.

On other websites they have him born in 1989 rather than 1988.

Whatever, he hasn't much experience.

Keith_M
21-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Thanks for all the replies

:thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I'm now even more concerned if Stubbs is looking at this guy as a potential 1st choice Keeper. Maybe he's considered 'one for the future', although he's already 25, so I'm not sure about that. FWIW, I think we'd be as well sticking with Perntrou.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
21-07-2014, 02:07 PM
Just because Gounet is on trial doesn't mean we aren't looking at other keepers. We are actually waiting to hear back from another one.

GGTTH07
21-07-2014, 02:10 PM
Fills me with worry

MrRobot
21-07-2014, 02:18 PM
How old was Ivan Sproule when he signed for Hibs out of interest?

It could be that he has coasted along without being spotted so far, late to come into a game or a keeper that suits us. At least we are taking our time with him and not signing him after 1 game.

That said, as a number 2, I would like to see the young lad get a chance as backup.

Keith_M
21-07-2014, 02:28 PM
How old was Ivan Sproule when he signed for Hibs out of interest?

It could be that he has coasted along without being spotted so far, late to come into a game or a keeper that suits us. At least we are taking our time with him and not signing him after 1 game.

That said, as a number 2, I would like to see the young lad get a chance as backup.

It's true, you can sometimes find players in much lower leagues, like Ivan. However, Ivan had actually played for a number of years as a first teamer. This guy seems to have only played one season for an amatuer side, despite being 25.

I'm trying to be open-minded but I can't imagine this is the best we could possibly get.

Just because Gounet is on trial doesn't mean we aren't looking at other keepers. We are actually waiting to hear back from another one.

Cheers for that.

MrRobot
21-07-2014, 02:35 PM
It's true, you can sometimes find players in much lower leagues, like Ivan. However, Ivan had actually played for a number of years as a first teamer. This guy seems to have only played one season for an amatuer side, despite being 25.

I'm trying to be open-minded but I can't imagine this is the best we could possibly get.

Cheers for that.

This is true, I just dont want to write anybody off before they've had a chance.

--------
21-07-2014, 02:37 PM
Some of us are freaking out because Stubbs is bringing players up to Edinburgh to train with he squad and play in trial games, so that he and the other coaches can make an informed decision about them. Like he's one with this guy. No, no, we say - Stubbs should be signing known players of proven quality and not messing about with trialists.

How does he get to see players during the summer close season unless he brings them up on trial?

Fine if he's seen them already,playing in England at whatever level, but just because he gives a player a trial doesn't mean he's decided to sign him. Or even that he's looking at him as a 'first choice' for any position.

Cod Boy
21-07-2014, 02:37 PM
Is the other keeper at Celtic just now ex Dundee Utd?

BVB Hibs
21-07-2014, 02:38 PM
While it might not necessarily be the case here, it's not that unusual for a good keeper to be a reserve up until a certain age. It's a discipline where players get better with age, and unlike outfield players you do see players make a breakthrough at a later age. If Gounet is the solution to our keeping problems, I'd not rule him out simply because he's not played many games at a first team level.

For what it's worth, Sergio Romero played in a world cup final despite only managing 3 league games all season. Good keepers do play as back up.

dangermouse
21-07-2014, 03:08 PM
From what little he had to do on Sunday he was competent. I suspect there will be better out there but can we attract them to the club?

southern hibby
21-07-2014, 03:15 PM
Was at both Dunfermline and Albion game and ( my view ) is that the Dunfermline goalkeeper was tested a lot more. Proved he could shot stop, got his angles spot on and was constantly talking to his defence. Never seen him come for a cross ball because non really came near him to go for. However if it was my choice I'd be more interested I'n the Dunfermline keeper than the lad playing for us yesterday. Infact if he keeps up performance like he did against us he will definately move on to bigger and better things.

Was informed that the Dunfermline keeper is on loan from Partick, so not sure how it fits into rules regarding clubs per season. But if we could we should ( I'n my opinion ) at least go for him as a back up keeper

SaulGoodman
21-07-2014, 03:38 PM
Is the other keeper at Celtic just now ex Dundee Utd?

:agree: That's what the whispers are anyway

Pretty Boy
21-07-2014, 03:49 PM
:agree: That's what the whispers are anyway

It would make sense, he could potentially be 3rd or 4th choice at Celtc next season.