PDA

View Full Version : New manager same BS

MoantheCabbage
21-07-2014, 09:16 AM
Following on from Stubbs comments in regard to panic buying on Friday I found these articles from Fenlon and calderwoods reign. Similarities anyone

Kato
21-07-2014, 09:19 AM
Following on from Stubbs comments in regard to panic buying on Friday I found these articles from Fenlon and calderwoods reign. Similarities anyone

Great. What a fantastic investigator you are.

CapitalGreen
21-07-2014, 09:20 AM
Poor effort mate, you're trying to hard.

MoantheCabbage
21-07-2014, 09:31 AM
Happy with normality then I presume. I suppose wanting better from the club is of course is an absolutely bonkers thought.

Oh well back to sticking my head in the sand hoping everything will be ok

Hibs90
21-07-2014, 09:32 AM
What do you want them to say?

blackpoolhibs
21-07-2014, 09:33 AM
Not really sure the point of this thread, every manager starts off saying pretty much the same things, there's not a lot new for any manager whoever he is to say?

The_Todd
21-07-2014, 09:33 AM
What's he supposed to say? "I'm going to sign the first player I see because I'm desperate"

I think you're trying to get wound up on purpose.

WestEndHibee
21-07-2014, 09:40 AM
I was just coming on to post about how I was impressed with Stubbs' comments re signings. It's a very sensible way to approach things. He's not going to bring in number fullers just so the likes of yourself can stop whinging.

Yes it's frustrating and worrying how bare our squad is but that's the state we're in. We're nowhere near the attraction that you seem to think we are. I've got faith in AS to deliver what we need. I'd prefer a bare-ish squad than one with enough players but nowhere near the quality we need.

MoantheCabbage
21-07-2014, 09:42 AM
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\b lue0;\red255\green255\blue255;}
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2
Do one\
\
Effective\
\
In case you hadn't noticed both fenlon and calderwood had been in the role for a number of months before the summer which gave them time to look at targets. Why do we always wait until the last minute to make signings?\
\
Are all other clubs making panic signings just now or have they scouted them and made the signings without waiting a month in to pre season\

Bostonhibby
21-07-2014, 09:45 AM
I think its way too early to be having a go at Stubbs like this - what else can he say? We'd be all over him like a rash if he was downbeat. He's put it out there so lets see what he can deliver first eh?

The problem with the previous talkers we have had - and I agree we have had a few - is when it comes to delivery they fall on their erse and when the going gets tough they have no plan B - maybe they failed to prepare or never understood what they were getting into. Stubbs seems to plan and we seem more thorough in our process for assessing players. Time will tell but I am happier about our long term future now than I have been in a while. Definitely need a few quality signings including a goalkeeper though.

bigwheel
21-07-2014, 09:49 AM

well, your user name is certainly apt.....Moan...

MoantheCabbage
21-07-2014, 09:50 AM
I was just coming on to post about how I was impressed with Stubbs' comments re signings. It's a very sensible way to approach things. He's not going to bring in number fullers just so the likes of yourself can stop whinging.

Yes it's frustrating and worrying how bare our squad is but that's the state we're in. We're nowhere near the attraction that you seem to think we are. I've got faith in AS to deliver what we need. I'd prefer a bare-ish squad than one with enough players but nowhere near the quality we need.

Why are you impressed with regurgitated statements from hibs managers

Have Falkirk, hearts, rangers, all panicked in picking up players. Get a grip we are 2 weeks away from our first competitive game and at present do t have a squad to compete. We are also a month in to pre season which means any players coming in won't be up to speed

Again I'll reiterate this same scenario has been played out since as long as I can remember I'm Not just blinkered or whineging about this summer

MoantheCabbage
21-07-2014, 09:54 AM
I think its way too early to be having a go at Stubbs like this - what else can he say? We'd be all over him like a rash if he was downbeat. He's put it out there so lets see what he can deliver first eh?

The problem with the previous talkers we have had - and I agree we have had a few - is when it comes to delivery they fall on their erse and when the going gets tough they have no plan B - maybe they failed to prepare or never understood what they were getting into. Stubbs seems to plan and we seem more thorough in our process for assessing players. Time will tell but I am happier about our long term future now than I have been in a while. Definitely need a few quality signings including a goalkeeper though.

Good post and for what it's worth my statements are actually club placed rather than Stubbs as he is the 3rd era of manager in as many years making the same comments

Kato
21-07-2014, 09:55 AM
Happy with normality then I presume.

...and you seem happy to compare Stubb's managerial abilities based on the fact he gave slightly similar quotes in an interview to Fenlon and Calderwood.

You really know your football.

I suppose wanting better from the club is of course is an absolutely bonkers thought.

Better press releases? Don't really care.

Oh well back to sticking my head in the sand hoping everything will be ok

We can still you if you stick your head in the sand, you know.

Hibbyradge
21-07-2014, 10:00 AM
lol

MoantheCabbage
21-07-2014, 10:03 AM
...and you seem happy to compare Stubb's managerial abilities based on the fact he gave slightly similar quotes in an interview to Fenlon and Calderwood.

You really know your football.

Am I questioning his managerial abilities?

Better press releases? Don't really care.

We can still you if you stick your head in the sand, you know.

Eh?

If you think there is not a theme to how managers are allowed to deliver there abilities here then cool your allowed your thoughts as am I. I personally think his hands are tied as have the previous managers which is why I brought up the similar comments if I looked further I would guess yogi, mixu and Collins said a similar thing

MoantheCabbage
21-07-2014, 10:05 AM
Course its the same, Forsyth wrote them all ya dumpling!

Did he tell them all to quote "we won't panic"

Lol nice.

Kato
21-07-2014, 10:06 AM
Eh?

If you think there is not a theme to how managers are allowed to deliver there abilities here then cool your allowed your thoughts as am I. I personally think his hands are tied as have the previous managers which is why I brought up the similar comments if I looked further I would guess yogi, mixu and Collins said a similar thing

If you looked further than that you'd probably find every manager in the world has said something similar.

Why do you think it relates specifically to his "hands being tied"?

Hibbyradge
21-07-2014, 10:07 AM
Could this thread not be merged with the other moan fest?

Speedway
21-07-2014, 10:10 AM

What's the difference between this and what other team's managers say?

MoantheCabbage
21-07-2014, 10:12 AM
If you looked further than that you'd probably find every manager in the world has said something similar.

Why do you think it relates specifically to his "hands being tied"?

Happy for you to get news relating to any other clubs of our standing with the same statements year on year and be proved wrong

silverhibee
21-07-2014, 10:18 AM
Not really sure the point of this thread, every manager starts off saying pretty much the same things, there's not a lot new for any manager whoever he is to say?

I have decided not to listen to football managers anymore, they are worse than kids and women attending football games nowadays.

Kato
21-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Happy for you to get news relating to any other clubs of our standing with the same statements year on year and be proved wrong

OK. I'll spend loads of time trawling the internet collecting, collating and posting proof that other/almost all football managers have said the exact same/if not similar platitudes season upon season.

All for you? Nah.

This is your thread, bub. You have to show proof of how said platitude relates exactly to Stubb's "hands being tied."

Heavy weekend?

Steven_Hibs
21-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Right before anyone says IM NEGATIVE. I kinda agree with the OP. Why is every manager saying the same BS? "make Easter Road a fortress!" How many times we heard that one? Now I'm not blaming Stubbs, how can you? But I do blame the current owner and chairman for all these problems. No signings due to poor season ticket sales? Always the fans that find the managers kitty? Why. No other club does this?

MoantheCabbage
21-07-2014, 10:26 AM
OK. I'll spend loads of time trawling the internet collecting, collating and posting proof that other/almost all football managers have said the exact same/if not similar platitudes season upon season.

All for you? Nah.

This is your thread, bub. You have to show proof of how said platitude relates exactly to Stubb's "hands being tied."

Heavy weekend?

How can I find something that's not there?

Mr paatelainin stating he won't panic buy even just a couple if weeks away from a new season kick off yet van zanten was good enough and Jonathan johannsen wasn't a panic buy and this is from 2008

Crazyhorse
21-07-2014, 10:26 AM
What's the difference between this and what other team's managers say?

Nothing. Football club press statement/interviews are usually cliché ridden tosh. The real concern should always be actions and looking at that probably gives us all cause for concern at the moment. Given the lack of movement we have to assume AS's first choice players are not interested in joining the club or the club is not willing to pay the wages they want. My own view is that we will be starting the race a bit later than the two cheats this season while we try to bed a team in. If we have a very threadbare squad and we suffer from injuries then this may very well cost a top three spot. Hope I'm wrong obviously but regardless of what happens I'm not blaming AS or LD they have been brought in to try to salvage a rapidly sinking ship holed by Petrie's incompetence and Farmer's disinterest. Stubbs deserves a couple of years to try to build a team.

Greencore
21-07-2014, 10:28 AM
well, your user name is certainly apt.....Moan...

It's Scots. Calm doon. :D

blackpoolhibs
21-07-2014, 10:30 AM
I have decided not to listen to football managers anymore, they are worse than kids and women attending football games nowadays.

:greengrin I dont read anything into what managers say either, if he'd said we are pish and i'm going to sign any old player just to get numbers in, this place would explode.

Actions are what i take notice of, and results.

greenlex
21-07-2014, 10:30 AM
What do you want them to say?
He wants them to say we are trying to sign any old ***** because it's what the fans want.

Bostonhibby
21-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Good post and for what it's worth my statements are actually club placed rather than Stubbs as he is the 3rd era of manager in as many years making the same comments

I do agree that there has been an unfortunate trend but it doesn't mean all managers will actually achieve the same, I guess its all about whether the past performance is an indication of what the future will be, up to Stubbs and his squad to break the mould on the pitch and I guess it will be down to the finances available and the level of support he gets from the board in particular that will tell us if anything has really changed. So far the jury is out on this aspect I feel.

GreenCastle
21-07-2014, 10:34 AM

First part fair enough about listening to managers - though 2nd part little sexist ?

I know plenty of women who talk more sense about football than some men.

Kato
21-07-2014, 10:35 AM

Mr paatelainin stating he won't panic buy even just a couple if weeks away from a new season kick off yet van zanten was good enough and Jonathan johannsen wasn't a panic buy and this is from 2008

..and?

MoantheCabbage
21-07-2014, 10:42 AM
..and?

We clearly panic buy. I'll shove kuqi into that bracket aswel

Kato
21-07-2014, 10:42 AM
Course its the same, Forsyth wrote them all ya dumpling!

"OK. Let's have a long divisive boring thread about it then", thinks "Moanthecabbage".

What a card.

Kato
21-07-2014, 10:43 AM
We clearly panic buy. I'll shove kuqi into that bracket aswel

Which panic buys has Stubbs made?

MoantheCabbage
21-07-2014, 10:45 AM
Which panic buys has Stubbs made?

Have you read the whole thread or just responding to individual posts?

Kato
21-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Have you read the whole thread or just responding to individual posts?

Aye, anyway.

:aok:

archiebald
21-07-2014, 10:52 AM
It's a joke could finish way down table,need players in now ! Or will play in empty stadium
So to who ever is in charge get a grip,Stubbs were are your contacts ?

Aldo
21-07-2014, 11:01 AM
2 things are clear to me from this forum at the moment

1. Folk aren't happy when a manager tries to be positive and says things are moving with players and it's about getting the right player in, better quality etc

What do you expect him to say!!!

2. The negativity from folk about absolutely everything that involves the club as a whole.
From managers comments/lack of signings/to the players we've signed/ST's/Strips blah blah blah.

It's becoming boring.

Folk looking way to deep into things and looking for an excuse to have a dig at the club and every opportunity.... This is for me anyway what the OP is doing.

Yip this is a forum but why!!

Iain G
21-07-2014, 11:03 AM

Great, brilliant, hope you feel good in yourself

MoantheCabbage
21-07-2014, 11:12 AM
2 things are clear to me from this forum at the moment

1. Folk aren't happy when a manager tries to be positive and says things are moving with players and it's about getting the right player in, better quality etc

What do you expect him to say!!!

2. The negativity from folk about absolutely everything that involves the club as a whole.
From managers comments/lack of signings/to the players we've signed/ST's/Strips blah blah blah.

It's becoming boring.

Folk looking way to deep into things and looking for an excuse to have a dig at the club and every opportunity.... This is for me anyway what the OP is doing.

Yip this is a forum but why!!

What's becoming boring is the year on year lack of gusto by the club to A select players scouted then pursue and sign them before pre season starts. B getting the same excuses from manager to manager. C quote we won't panic then suddenly before the window closes we get ayers on who aren't up to the task anyway

SaulGoodman
21-07-2014, 11:14 AM
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/transfer-news-manchester-united-will-not-be-forced-into-panic-buys-says-david-moyes-8991889.html

http://www.ftbpro.com/posts/joe.cooper/1094396/leeds-manager-david-hockaday-refusing-to-rush-into-new-signings

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristol-Rovers-boss-John-Ward-says-depleted-squad/story-20169263-detail/story.html

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/roberto-martinez-everton-wont-panic-7213304

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23897059

Do you want me to stop there? Or will I keep going?

ahibby
21-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Great, brilliant, hope you feel good in yourself

The op is pointing out that despite hopes for changes at the club compared with recent previous pre-seasons, nothing has changed, except for the ST sales dropping which is to be expected.

SaulGoodman
21-07-2014, 11:16 AM
The op is pointing out that despite hopes for changes at the club compared with recent previous pre-seasons, nothing has changed, except for the ST sales dropping which is to be expected.

You're right nothing has changed.

Except, the CEO, physio, coaches, training, emphasis on youth, tie ups in the community, manager..

IWasThere2016
21-07-2014, 11:18 AM

:agree: I have not listened to one word AS has said. Nor LD. It is time for action from Hibs.

MoantheCabbage
21-07-2014, 11:21 AM
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/transfer-news-manchester-united-will-not-be-forced-into-panic-buys-says-david-moyes-8991889.html

http://www.ftbpro.com/posts/joe.cooper/1094396/leeds-manager-david-hockaday-refusing-to-rush-into-new-signings

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristol-Rovers-boss-John-Ward-says-depleted-squad/story-20169263-detail/story.html

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/roberto-martinez-everton-wont-panic-7213304

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23897059

Do you want me to stop there? Or will I keep going?

Good stuff. Can you get any with Atleast 2 years of the same comments. I have provided 3 seperate comments out with AS.

Nutmegged
21-07-2014, 11:23 AM
I think all that really proves is Alan Stubbs is prone to use an old cliché when discussing Transfers, I don't doubt for one minute he is 100% genuine in what he is saying, whether his ideas will go to plan or not is another matter entirely though, I think he deserves a chance to get things moving without doubting him, the alternative is just be negative on everything

silverhibee
21-07-2014, 11:23 AM
:greengrin I dont read anything into what managers say either, if he'd said we are pish and i'm going to sign any old player just to get numbers in, this place would explode.

Actions are what i take notice of, and results.

:agree:

It must be in the contract to tell wee porkies to keep the fickle fans happy, FFS just look at what Butcher said when he got the job, but he ain't going to come in and say this squad is pish and i will give it a right good go but i fancy us to get relegated.

What a manager says to the press will not be his real thoughts most of the time.

It's a results business, simple as that, if they aren't good enough at the end of the season then we listen to the next manager talk nonsense for the next season ahead, etc etc.

ahibby
21-07-2014, 11:35 AM

Except, the CEO, physio, coaches, training, emphasis on youth, tie ups in the community, manager..

Ah okay we are league champions in the making then. Next season the Champions league at this rate.

We are talking about Hibs player signings, in case you hadn't noticed.

The_Todd
21-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Ah okay we are league champions in the making then. Next season the Champions league at this rate.

Actually no we're getting our knickers in a twist about a cliche AS used.

Keith_M
21-07-2014, 11:59 AM
Football is full of cliches.

AS is quoted in one of the official releases as using my pet hate phrase 'we're all in this together'. My thoughts on that are... 'Naw, wur no. I'm in this because I'm a Hibs fan and continue to suffer year after year whereas you're here for the money/next step on the career ladder and will be off like a shot when it suits you. I'll still be here, crying into my Beer when you're long gone'.

But do you find me moaning about it?

Well, apart from the reply above....eh and the moan about it on the other thread...ehm....

....****, I've just ruined my point! Again!

JimBHibees
21-07-2014, 12:01 PM
Nothing like giving the new manager a chance and this is nothing like giving him a chance.

Very yammish.

MoantheCabbage
21-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Actually no we're getting our knickers in a twist about a cliche AS used.

So we never hold back on signings year to year then and it's just a cliche?

Surely if that's true we should never employ scouts as clearly they are not worth a wage

MoantheCabbage
21-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Nothing like giving the new manager a chance and this is nothing like giving him a chance.

Very yammish.

Yeah very yammish of me to want more for my club than just go with the status quo.

I'm giving AS a chance. Are the club doing the same?

I want to see a commitment from the club not the same regurgitated bs since from atleast 2008

Keith_M
21-07-2014, 12:11 PM
I'm giving AS a chance. Are the club doing the same?

You tell us, you seem to be the expert on the subject.

Do you happen to have a Mole inside ER that lets you in on these things or is it a special intuition like thingy you have

SunshineOnLeith
21-07-2014, 12:17 PM
No signings due to poor season ticket sales? Always the fans that find the managers kitty? Why. No other club does this?

What?

ackeygraham
21-07-2014, 12:22 PM

Well if we don't see players soon - which at this moment in time seems to be a slow process - then will be forced to play these lot. I know we're weeks behind the two other teams in terms of preparation, but i also remember Stubbs saying he discussed a plan to LD when interviewed on certain players he might bring to the club??

Where are these players - or is it last resort get some toffee's in?

ackeygraham
21-07-2014, 12:26 PM

Very yammish.

Nothing mentioned about not giving him and chance, we all want him to do well....but things going at a snails pace too much for my liking.

Upon this - mean's i still haven't been shown enough by the club to want me to re-new my season ticket.

emerald green
21-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Stubbs and his team are only in the door 5 minutes and we are getting this. Jeeeez, gie the man a chance.

FitbaFolkKen
21-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Stubbs and his team are only in the door 5 minutes and we are getting this. Jeeeez, gie the man a chance.

Yeah we just need to let this play out. If we carry on with the level of negativity we are beaten before a ball is kicked next season.

There has been a substantial investment in the backroom team, it could well result in a much improved performance from the players we currently have. This could have rendered identified transfers pointless, maybe they spot a few youngsters who could perform at this level?

I would have liked to see more players brought in, however I totally agree with getting a strong backroom team in place as opposed to bringing players into a club in turmoil. I think that way we will see the best of what we have, and get the best out of what we bring in.

Caversham Green
21-07-2014, 12:46 PM
So we never hold back on signings year to year then and it's just a cliche?

Surely if that's true we should never employ scouts as clearly they are not worth a wage

Every season since Mowbray left (including this one) we've signed at least two or three players in June/July and then usually added a few players of perceived quality at the end of the window (Johansson was a free agent signing in the winter and was widely expected to add quality to the side). That would suggest that the idea we hold back on signings is a myth.

emerald green
21-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Yeah we just need to let this play out. If we carry on with the level of negativity we are beaten before a ball is kicked next season.

There has been a substantial investment in the backroom team, it could well result in a much improved performance from the players we currently have. This could have rendered identified transfers pointless, maybe they spot a few youngsters who could perform at this level?

I would have liked to see more players brought in, however I totally agree with getting a strong backroom team in place as opposed to bringing players into a club in turmoil. I think that way we will see the best of what we have, and get the best out of what we bring in.

:agree: Seems like sense to me mate.

Iain G
21-07-2014, 01:01 PM

So nothing has changed apart from all the stuff that is different? The Time to tak e Stubbs and Leeann at face value and be positive instead of ******g miserable is now

WestEndHibee
21-07-2014, 01:02 PM

Have Falkirk, hearts, rangers, all panicked in picking up players. Get a grip we are 2 weeks away from our first competitive game and at present do t have a squad to compete. We are also a month in to pre season which means any players coming in won't be up to speed

Again I'll reiterate this same scenario has been played out since as long as I can remember I'm Not just blinkered or whineging about this summer

I wasn't impressed by the previous managers' statements but I am by Stubbs. He's provided a lot more clarity on who we're looking at, what they can add to the team, whether we're likely to sign a player etc...

You feel like you've done your research on this but you haven't, plucking 3 managers and stating a fact isn't research. Look at the differences between them. Both Calderwood and Fenlon had been in the job well in advance of the summer transfer window and thus had time to prepare, Stubbs did not have this luxury. Secondly, Hibs were in the SPL and a lot more of an attraction than they are just now Stubbs doesn't have that luxury. Third good players have been systematically ruined by Hibs over the last few years, I would have second thoughts about joining that sort of club and this is another obstacle for Stubbs to overcome. As I said I agree that it's worryingly close to the season but what do you want to happen? It's a hell of a lot harder this year with a hell of a lot more pressure. For AS to come out and say that we will only sign players who will add value is something I agree with.

SaulGoodman
21-07-2014, 01:26 PM

Don't take the piss. I was making a point.

Phil D. Rolls
21-07-2014, 01:45 PM
First part fair enough about listening to managers - though 2nd part little sexist ?

I know plenty of women who talk more sense about football than some men.

Its an in joke, pay no attention.

JimBHibees
21-07-2014, 01:48 PM
Nothing mentioned about not giving him and chance, we all want him to do well....but things going at a snails pace too much for my liking.

Upon this - mean's i still haven't been shown enough by the club to want me to re-new my season ticket.

Agree with that however we also need to appreciate he has only been here for a few weeks and to put a thread new manager same old BS is a joke.

FitbaFolkKen
21-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Its an in joke, pay no attention.

That avatar makes me feel uncomfortable!

Phil D. Rolls
21-07-2014, 02:06 PM
That avatar makes me feel uncomfortable!

Why do you think that is?

Crazyhorse
21-07-2014, 02:19 PM
Every season since Mowbray left (including this one) we've signed at least two or three players in June/July and then usually added a few players of perceived quality at the end of the window (Johansson was a free agent signing in the winter and was widely expected to add quality to the side). That would suggest that the idea we hold back on signings is a myth.

Problem is CG this pattern you have identified has not worked very well. Why are we continuing to repeat it? Is a legitimate question to ask.

Devine
21-07-2014, 02:26 PM
Maybe the OP hasn't articulated his point to everyones liking but I definately agree with his general view. We ALWAYS get excuses about 'not panic buying', 'running a tight squad' etc which in my opinion just covers up the fact we arent signing any players. Most other teams and certainly our competitors are recruiting well in advance of the season starting and we are sitting with by and large the same group of FAILED players who 99% of Hibs fans agreed were not good enough a few months ago. Fast forward a few weeks some positive spin from ER, the blind hope of a new season, hope from a new manager in place, some good results against poor opposition and we are starting to forget all the ills of the past. If we start badly I can almost guarantee the same spin of 'we need time to gel' will come out.

That team that went out on Saturday is NOT good enough to win promotion we need at least 5-6 new players. If this doesnt happen the vast majority of fans who havent bought ST's wont do so and I can understand that....then the vicious circle will begin again with poor players being accepted as the fans havent funded a big enough transfer pot.

BVB Hibs
21-07-2014, 02:28 PM
What do we expect them to say?

"Aye, I've got 40 players banging down the door, but I'm not being given the money. PETRIE!!"

"We have no cash, so we're waiting until the last day of the transfer window to bring in scraps at no money at all. PETRIE!!"

"I don't know a decent player from my Italian dinners, so I'm going to make 20 signings who will probably be pish to keep the fans happy. PETRIE!!"

For what it's worth, I'm taking this one at face value. Every man and his dog can see that we've a threadbare squad at the moment and we could do with adding another few players of quality. Given our budget constraints and the prospect of Championship football, added to the fact that Stubbs hasn't been in awfully long and we've spent some time assembling a proper backroom team, is it any wonder we haven't signed 10 players yet? People point at the number of signings other teams in the league have made, but if I'm honest there's not many players there I'd want to see for Hibs. Stubbs and LD aren't idiots, they'll know right well it makes more sense to sign nobody than spend money on a poor player. I'm confident enough that anybody that does come is the right player for us, given where we are now.

Keith_M
21-07-2014, 02:32 PM

Maybe he wants to Pepper Spray (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/jeremy-kyle-peppersprayed-in-magaluf-bouncer-behind-the-can-speaks-out-9610029.html) you as well.

:wink:

Phil D. Rolls
21-07-2014, 02:57 PM
Maybe he wants to Pepper Spray (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/jeremy-kyle-peppersprayed-in-magaluf-bouncer-behind-the-can-speaks-out-9610029.html) you as well.

:wink:

Making Magaluf look **** - insults have to believable to work. It's like saying somebody makes Ronnie Corbett look short.

Caversham Green
21-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Problem is CG this pattern you have identified has not worked very well. Why are we continuing to repeat it? Is a legitimate question to ask.

It's a pattern that every club follows. The problem hasn't been the timing of the signings, it's been the quality/use made of them. It seems to be accepted wisdom on Hibs.net that Hibs never make any signings until the end of the window "to save on wages" as some would have it. The point I was making is that that wisdom is just plain wrong.

I do think this season is an exception though. The squad badly needs a rebuild and IMO they need to be getting on with it but the Stubbser is absolutely right in saying he won't sign up players just to bulk up the squad - I'd rather see him wait and get a Liam Miller than dive in now for a Joe Keenan - who Mixu signed very soon after he made the statement posted earlier IIRC.

blackpoolhibs
21-07-2014, 03:32 PM
It's a pattern that every club follows. The problem hasn't been the timing of the signings, it's been the quality/use made of them. It seems to be accepted wisdom on Hibs.net that Hibs never make any signings until the end of the window "to save on wages" as some would have it. The point I was making is that that wisdom is just plain wrong.

I do think this season is an exception though. The squad badly needs a rebuild and IMO they need to be getting on with it but the Stubbser is absolutely right in saying he won't sign up players just to bulk up the squad - I'd rather see him wait and get a Liam Miller than dive in now for a Joe Keenan - who Mixu signed very soon after he made the statement posted earlier IIRC.

Exactly, the bit in bold has always been the MAIN problem with our team. Where i think folk are more worried this time, is because of our starting point, which seems much lower than our main competitors?

Phil D. Rolls
21-07-2014, 03:35 PM
Exactly, the bit in bold has always been the MAIN problem with our team. Where i think folk are more worried this time, is because of our starting point, which seems much lower than our main competitors?

As it stands, I'd wager that Raith Rovers and Falkirk have better squads than us.

Brightside
21-07-2014, 03:38 PM
As it stands, I'd wager that Raith Rovers and Falkirk have better squads than us.

How much you want that wager to be?

SaulGoodman
21-07-2014, 03:43 PM

Whit.

Phil D. Rolls
21-07-2014, 03:43 PM
How much you want that wager to be?

£500 if I am right, £2.50 if I'm wrong.

Phil D. Rolls
21-07-2014, 03:45 PM
Whit.

I think they have better squads than us, at the moment.

We are sorry we can't return any of your pictures, but we do give a prize for every one we show.

WestCoastHibby
21-07-2014, 03:51 PM
I've not been on for a few days, darkened padded room for some methinks. Those banging on about players who aren't up to speed with pre-season etc take note.

If I was a freed player I would have spent he summer working on my fitness awaiting my next move/the call from my agent.

If I am already with a club I have the bulk of my pre-season fitness done at least.

If I am a player without a club and have done hee-haw this summer but golfed and bevied then I wont deserve the call......

down-the-slope
21-07-2014, 04:59 PM

36 posts.... 17 on this thread alone :fishin:

Cocohibby
21-07-2014, 05:14 PM
Surely it's self-perpetuating? Fans bemoan lack of quick signings so manager releases an appeasing statement about getting the right people in, quality not quantity, no panic signings. I personally would be disappointed if these statements weren't made. We crave info, even when there isn't anything new to say.

What do you expect?

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Tapatalk

Northernhibee
21-07-2014, 05:28 PM

Very yammish.

Yep, it really is new manager, same BS. :wink:

SunshineOnLeith
21-07-2014, 06:06 PM
£500 if I am right, £2.50 if I'm wrong.

If I was offered 200/1 odds that Falkirk would finish above/have a better squad than Hibs I'd probably "wager" a few quid on it as well. Doesn't mean I think it's going to happen.

Gordy M
21-07-2014, 06:15 PM
Hahaha....jeremy kyle......you shouldve called yourself kevin bridges.....comedian.

Just to play along though, so who in these squads would you like hibs to sign?

cmcd
21-07-2014, 06:18 PM

Why don`t we have a thread for those who want to do nothing other than moan The new regime have been in place for 5mins FOR GODS SAKE GIVE THEM A CHANCE

Phil D. Rolls
21-07-2014, 06:21 PM
Hahaha....jeremy kyle......you shouldve called yourself kevin bridges.....comedian.

I meant that, as teams and squads, they have had more continuity than us, which is surely some advantage? Don't forget that the Rovers put us out of the Scottish Cup.

Is it fair to say, that most people would disagree with me on thus subject? I may be guilty of knowing **** all about either team, tbh.

Gordy M
21-07-2014, 06:28 PM
I meant that, as teams and squads, they have had more continuity than us, which is surely some advantage? Don't forget that the Rovers put us out of the Scottish Cup.

Is it fair to say, that most people would disagree with me on thus subject? I may be guilty of knowing **** all about either team, tbh.
Aye an morton put celtic out the cup? I could turn it around and say that under woeful management we went and beat the 2nd best team in the championship 2-0? But then we were beaten at home? These teams dont have better squads and will not finish above us. Jeez folk do like to big up all the other teams and knock hibs.....every thread is the same ffs.

Northernhibee
21-07-2014, 07:37 PM

On a serious note, Craig Sibbald from Falkirk :agree:

hibs4thecup1988
21-07-2014, 07:56 PM
Aye an morton put celtic out the cup? I could turn it around and say that under woeful management we went and beat the 2nd best team in the championship 2-0? But then we were beaten at home? Theeese teams dont have better squads and will not finish above us. Jeez folk do like to big up all the other teams and knock hibs.....every thread is the same ffs.

Agreed.

judas
21-07-2014, 08:16 PM

Sadly, you're comments carry too much truth for some of the .net members.

This is an opportunity for Hibs to atone for the sins of Malmo and Relegation. Hell, imagine Hibs got promoted and dare I say it, won the Scottish Cup. How much would that do to revive the faith?

Hibs approach since the Hamilton game has been amatuer league. In my view, the time taken to punt Butcher was shocking and now there are no decent players left in the market, because the early bird gets the worm.

And this squad? It will not get us promoted. One can't blame Stubbs for making rational, if cliched comments, but the fact is that the pattern of losing - the losing pedigree, that Hibs have created is unlikely to change with the current conduct of the club.

green day
21-07-2014, 08:22 PM
36 posts.... 17 on this thread alone :fishin:

Yep, some people will be hee hawing in the Tynie Arms with their mutant mates as we speak!

We really do allow them to take the piss, eh?

Gordy M
21-07-2014, 08:32 PM
Sadly, you're comments carry too much truth for some of the .net members.

This is an opportunity for Hibs to atone for the sins of Malmo and Relegation. Hell, imagine Hibs got promoted and dare I say it, won the Scottish Cup. How much would that do to revive the faith?

Hibs approach since the Hamilton game has been amatuer league. In my view, the time taken to punt Butcher was shocking and now there are no decent players left in the market, because the early bird gets the worm.

And this squad? It will not get us promoted. One can't blame Stubbs for making rational, if cliched comments, but the fact is that the pattern of losing - the losing pedigree, that Hibs have created is unlikely to change with the current conduct of the club.
Do you think we will finish in the top 4? If so then that gives us a year and another transfer window before any play off. Not ideal, but do you know we wouldnt go up via the play off system? And if not, can you tell me the four teams you think will finish above us? Or are you just joining the bandwagon of putting the boot into hibs?

judas
21-07-2014, 08:51 PM
Do you think we will finish in the top 4? If so then that gives us a year and another transfer window before any play off. Not ideal, but do you know we wouldnt go up via the play off system? And if not, can you tell me the four teams you think will finish above us? Or are you just joining the bandwagon of putting the boot into hibs?

Yes, I think we could finish in the top 4, possibly. But as I have said, I don't feel the squad is good enough to gain promotion. Not good enough to win the league and not good enough to win a play off. Not sure where your confusion lies tbh.

I realise my criticism is unpalatable to you. But some of us see things as they are, before looking at the way we would like them to be.

judas
21-07-2014, 08:54 PM
Yep, some people will be hee hawing in the Tynie Arms with their mutant mates as we speak!

We really do allow them to take the piss, eh?

Mr Paranoia. Get me a lawyer.

Who gives a toss about the yams.

hibsbollah
21-07-2014, 08:58 PM
Yes, I think we could finish in the top 4, possibly. But as I have said, I don't feel the squad is good enough to gain promotion. Not good enough to win the league and not good enough to win a play off. Not sure where your confusion lies tbh.

I realise my criticism is unpalatable to you. But some of us see things as they are, before looking at the way we would like them to be.

It may sound defeatist, and im sure I'll get shot down for saying it, but I don't think we'll get promoted either, but more importantly, that might not be a bad thing if, and if is the word, it gives us more time to buy the right players with the right philosophy in the right team. I'd take promotion in season 2015/16 if it meant sustainability. Better that than the usual short termism.

Gordy M
21-07-2014, 09:07 PM

My confusion lies in that the squad we have now wont be the same squad as we will have come next may?? Therefore your predictions of no promotion are based on what squad exactly?

Cristisism is fine, but you are basing solely on the state of all teams as of this date? Why not wait and see before coming on to be negative?

bingo70
21-07-2014, 09:14 PM
My confusion lies in that the squad we have now wont be the same squad as we will have come next may?? Therefore your predictions of no promotion are based on what squad exactly?

Cristisism is fine, but you are basing solely on the state of all teams as of this date? Why not wait and see before coming on to be negative?

Because people are basing opinions on where we are just now as that's the only facts we have? Things might get better in the future but recent history tells us they probably won't which I thought is basically the op's point.

If the club want to shift more season tickets they better get the finger out and get some good players soon, all the talk of only going for quality won't put bums on seats as we've all heard it before.

Swedish hibee
21-07-2014, 09:16 PM
Not been on here for a while.. and this is the 1st thread :boo hoo:

You are right, same old BS from (some of) our support. Yawn.

Come on Hibs. Are we getting a "Stubbs green white army" smilie anytime soon?? :wink:

Sherlock Jones
21-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Not been on here for a while.. and this is the 1st thread :boo hoo:

You are right, same old BS from (some of) our support. Yawn.

Come on Hibs. Are we getting a "Stubbs green white army" smilie anytime soon?? :wink:

It isn't installed yet but... http://grahamjones.unihosting.co.uk/hibsnet/asgawa.gif

Gordy M
21-07-2014, 09:22 PM
Because people are basing opinions on where we are just now as that's the only facts we have? Things might get better in the future but recent history tells us they probably won't which I thought is basically the op's point.

If the club want to shift more season tickets they better get the finger out and get some good players soon, all the talk of only going for quality won't put bums on seats as we've all heard it before.
But that doesnt make sense? Ok, who would win a play off game between hibs and say kilmarnock next may? No one can know. My point isnt that folk cant critisize but why come and say we wont get promoted(albeit admit we could finish top 4 and then its knockout?) when we dont know. Fwiw the chamionship isnt that great a standard.

I think with out CURRENT squad we would finish top 3. You obviously dont agree.

I do agree that a couple of signings, which will happen, will help sell more tickets......but winning games of football will sell more.

whiskyhibby
21-07-2014, 09:29 PM
Mr Paranoia. Get me a lawyer.

Who gives a toss about the yams.

Well some on this board do, quite passionately.....

Swedish hibee
21-07-2014, 09:33 PM
It isn't installed yet but... http://grahamjones.unihosting.co.uk/hibsnet/asgawa.gif

:not worth

boab1875
21-07-2014, 09:40 PM

I know this may not be popular but people seem to have forgotten about the protests that rightfully took place recently over the future of Hibs and Petrie. If you really think the necessary changes have been made that will help to drive us forward as a club and put us back where we belong then think again. you have obviously been sucked in by all the rhetoric of change I am afraid. The change that the majority of us wanted has not happened yet and that is why I can relate to the guy who started this thread's point that our club is in a loop. we can hire new managers, new phsios, claim to be taking a different approach in vision etc etc and still be moving in the wrong direction. Petrie is the problem and until he has been removed, the problems at the club will persist. I even feel we are on a loop discussing this point.

Manager comes in, people become enthused, manager signs new players, team fails to achieve targets, frustration becomes synonomous with discussing anything Hibernian, pressure is put on the manager and club, people demand resignations, manager sacked and people begin to question club leadership, people proceed to forget previous steps, new manager comes in.........

see what I am talking about? This has happened too many times now for me to remain positive and, after the Hamilton game, that was it for me. said it before and i'll say it again, this will happen again and until petrie is removed I won't be going back. Hibs can only succeed with that clown gone and our best chance of doing that was a mass boycott. maybe after the loop goes through its cycle a couple more times, others will reach the point I reached last season.

Criswell
21-07-2014, 10:18 PM
. Stubbs deserves a couple of years to try to build a team.[/QUOTE]

Like Butcher was given?

FitbaFolkKen
21-07-2014, 10:29 PM

I can feel JK looking into my soul......

The_Horde
21-07-2014, 10:52 PM
Anybody who still listens to managers and judges them on it needs their head seen to.

I'll be judging on performances from now on.

Allan45
21-07-2014, 11:07 PM
Sometimes I have a good laugh. We are Hibs, we can not look at Alan Stubbs to have a magic wand, he has certainly changed the way Hibs play. We may not get promoted this season. We need quality players to win games. We have what we have got at present, and hopefully get the best out of his team.

Well before Butcher we have under performed, maybe since 2009. Give Stubbs a break, it may be 2 years until we get back to the Premiership. What I have seen has been encouraging, I'll give him2 years. To get us promoted.

Lets see what happens with signings before the start of the season, then judge the performances after Xmas. We should be top 4 after Christmas.:cb

basehibby
22-07-2014, 01:15 AM
Not going to criticise Stubbs for his comments - he probably hardly realises how much of a case of deja vu it all is for us. In any case, actions are what count as in signing players and building a team. I think the couple he's signed so far seem of the right ilk but several more will be needed and it cannot be denied that time is not on his side.

WE are way behind our rivals in terms of preparedness and I think anyone denying that has their head in the sand. Still though, I would rather time was taken to sign the right kind of players. It does look though that the squad that starts the campaign will be well short of the finished article and Stubbs will do very well to get off to a good start given those circumstances. Far from ideal it is but we know the score and frustrating as it is, there's no point in taking it out on Stubbs and the team who will need us behind them all the way.

Dashing Bob S
22-07-2014, 01:20 AM
We have to remember that this is a joke of a league. The Huns will walk it, even though they're pretty dreadful.

I think both Hibs and Hearts will struggle, but probably face each other in a play-off, before the winner loses to the SPL side in the subsequent play-off.

Then, the next season, they will fight for the automatic promo spot.

Keith_M
22-07-2014, 08:30 AM

Any one of their Goalies.............

jacomo
22-07-2014, 01:55 PM
It may sound defeatist, and im sure I'll get shot down for saying it, but I don't think we'll get promoted either, but more importantly, that might not be a bad thing if, and if is the word, it gives us more time to buy the right players with the right philosophy in the right team. I'd take promotion in season 2015/16 if it meant sustainability. Better that than the usual short termism.

I really hope we will. I think promotion must be the objective, and a play off spot is definitely within our reach.

No doubt that Der Der Hun and the Purple Hearts are way ahead of us in building squads for the new campaign, but we have had something of a rebuild this summer so not surprising. There is still time to bring in players before the season starts, before the end of this window, and in January.

I worry that this team haven't been properly tested yet, and some of them can be fairly described as bottlers after the atrocious end to last season. But I still maintain that people like Liam Craig are decent players that were poorly managed. AS seems to have got them better organised and better prepared already - next step is to build up their resilience and character under pressure.

Geo_1875
22-07-2014, 02:57 PM
I really hope we will. I think promotion must be the objective, and a play off spot is definitely within our reach.

No doubt that Der Der Hun and the Purple Hearts are way ahead of us in building squads for the new campaign, but we have had something of a rebuild this summer so not surprising. There is still time to bring in players before the season starts, before the end of this window, and in January.

I worry that this team haven't been properly tested yet, and some of them can be fairly described as bottlers after the atrocious end to last season. But I still maintain that people like Liam Craig are decent players that were poorly managed. AS seems to have got them better organised and better prepared already - next step is to build up their resilience and character under pressure.

Is that the Huns that got pumped by a newly formed team in the states? They needed to buy players because they were crap. They've now signed a couple of good strikers. But their biggest assets will still be the referees.

As for Hertz "building" a team, give me a break. They're throwing (big) money at Harry Potter's old boys and hoping they're good enough to get promoted. Watch them and their support crumple if they start losing games.

Hibs are going through change and shouldn't be rushed into hasty signings to keep a few moaning faced gits happy. I'm quite happy to wait for the right people to come along.

judas
22-07-2014, 06:30 PM

I am speaking in the present tense. The current variables are what we have to deal with, and this, funny enough, brings me right back to my last point about seeing things as they are.

judas
22-07-2014, 06:34 PM
We have to remember that this is a joke of a league. The Huns will walk it, even though they're pretty dreadful.

I think both Hibs and Hearts will struggle, but probably face each other in a play-off, before the winner loses to the SPL side in the subsequent play-off.

Then, the next season, they will fight for the automatic promo spot.

Yes.