PDA

View Full Version : Joe Baker

johnbc70
19-07-2014, 10:27 PM
Way before my time but my Dad often spoke about him and his time at Hibs. Good story about him on the FA site.

http://www.thefa.com/news/2014/jul/joe-baker-the-first-overseas-international

The first English internationalist to play for England having never played club football in England. Without reading the story a bonus point for those that can name the second player to do so.

madabouthibs
19-07-2014, 10:34 PM
Boy was a legend, my mum used to rave about him, and she got some good pics of him when he was at Hibs. :thumbsup:

Argylehibby
19-07-2014, 10:52 PM
Owen Hargreaves

hibs0666
19-07-2014, 11:22 PM
Look up Scottish cup 4 3 when baker was 17 and you might well have the single greatest performance by a Hibs player.

The Harp Awakes
19-07-2014, 11:38 PM
Way before my time but my Dad often spoke about him and his time at Hibs. Good story about him on the FA site.

http://www.thefa.com/news/2014/jul/joe-baker-the-first-overseas-international

The first English internationalist to play for England having never played club football in England. Without reading the story a bonus point for those that can name the second player to do so.

Great spot and good read. Joe was a Hibee through and through. Remember him kissing the turf at the Hands off Hibs rally during the failed Mercer take over. :hibees

ACLeith
20-07-2014, 05:44 AM
The article says he opted to play for England, don't think that's right. In those days you had to play for the country you were born in. His brother Gerry had to play for USA.

Not many players replace a legend at a club and become one themselves but Joe did that.

Baader
20-07-2014, 06:06 AM
Joe didn't opt to play for England he was forced to as AC says due him being born there. Crazy that his brother Gerry played for USA. Joe was Scottish and regarded himself so - pretty sure he spoke of his regret - through no fault of his own - at not being able to represent Scotland. His goals record is just phenomenal and he is regarded as a legend at Arsenal (my local team down here) also. Others may have hit more goals but you'd be hard pushed to find a better goals to games ratio for the Gunners - Joe hit 100 goals in 154 games for them. Simply an incredible footballer.

Peevemor
20-07-2014, 08:20 AM
In 1959, Joe Baker was chosen by manager Walter Winterbottom to win his first England cap against Ireland. The Hibernian centre forward flew to London and instructed a taxi driver to take him to the team hotel.

''The cabbie gave me a funny look and asked why I wanted to go there. When I told him that I was playing for England he went very quiet. The next thing I knew, a police car drew alongside so it was obvious the guy thought I was just a crazy Scotsman and it was only after a phone call to the team manager that we were allowed to proceed.''

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/joe-baker-former-hibernian-torino-arsenal-and-england-centre-forward-1.106121

The Falcon
20-07-2014, 08:38 AM
The article says he opted to play for England, don't think that's right. In those days you had to play for the country you were born in. His brother Gerry had to play for USA.

Not many players replace a legend at a club and become one themselves but Joe did that.

Correct. :agree:

Describing Wishaw as a "Scottish border town" is also a bit sloppy.

Iggy Pope
20-07-2014, 09:10 AM
Joe didn't opt to play for England he was forced to as AC says due him being born there. Crazy that his brother Gerry played for USA. Joe was Scottish and regarded himself so - pretty sure he spoke of his regret - through no fault of his own - at not being able to represent Scotland. His goals record is just phenomenal and he is regarded as a legend at Arsenal (my local team down here) also. Others may have hit more goals but you'd be hard pushed to find a better goals to games ratio for the Gunners - Joe hit 100 goals in 154 games for them. Simply an incredible footballer.

I remember the old Highbury museum (never visited the Emirates one yet) had a section about Joe that was fronted with a life size cardboard cut-out of the great man in action and that I delighted in getting my photo taken with.

You are right. He was very highly thought of amongst Gooners of a certain vintage.

franks
20-07-2014, 11:33 AM
My first ever Hibs hero. Got the chance to meet him latter and he was an absolute gent.

brog
20-07-2014, 11:36 AM
Joe was my boyhood hero & I was delighted in later life to meet him on many occasions & find out he was just such a great guy. One story which I may have posted on here before, Joe came down to London as our guest for our Burns Night & he was also guest of honour at Arsenal that day, they also did a 2 page centrepiece on Joe in the programme. I lost Joe after the game but eventually found him in the bootroom with Pat Rice, John Barnwell & a few apprentices ( serving beer & sandwiches ). An apprentice told Pat he had a phone call from upstairs & pestered Pat until he finally took the call. Pat picked up the phone & said, "would you kindly F*** off, I'm talking to a legend!!" That IMO says it all, Joe, a true legend.
PS, a post above refers to the 4-3 game at PBS. Incredibly Yams won the league that year & had a +99 goal difference. They conceded 11 league goals at home all season & yet a 17 year old Joe scored 4 in 90 minutes, unbelievable!

edwards
20-07-2014, 11:38 AM
My first ever Hibs hero. Got the chance to meet him latter and he was an absolute gent.

Fond memories of when he came back to hibs and we won our game against aberdeen, some crowd at ER that day great atmophere.

Lago
20-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Fond memories of when he came back to hibs and we won our game against aberdeen, some crowd at ER that day great atmophere.
As someone who is no longer in the first flush of youth I have 2 hibs heros. Joe Baker and Pat Stanton, you wonder if we will see players of that calibre ever playing for hibs again.

J-C
20-07-2014, 12:19 PM
An amazing goal scoring record 507 appearances and 301 goals scored.

I met him quite a few times many years ago as he was a big pal of my dad's, I remember him when he came back to Hibs in 1971 season but was at the end of his career, still scored 12 in 20 though.

gillythehibby
20-07-2014, 12:28 PM
My old man loved Joe. We were lucky enuff to be at his testimonial dinner at the sheraton years ago and met the man. The old man was like a young kid shaking his hand :-)

LeithBoozy
20-07-2014, 04:37 PM
God bless you Joe, A goal-scorer supreme, may you rest in piece. Loved by so many both sides of the border and in Italy too no doubt. You will never be forgotten as long as a Hibby lives. :not worth

winnipeg jets
21-07-2014, 05:59 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a Joe Baker t shirt?

Sir David Gray
21-07-2014, 06:18 PM
Correct. :agree:

Describing Wishaw as a "Scottish border town" is also a bit sloppy.

That's unreal.

A bit like describing Preston as an English border town.

emerald green
21-07-2014, 06:30 PM
As mentioned in an earlier post, Joe scored all 4 Hibs goals when beating Hearts 4-3 at Tynecastle in the Scottish Cup quarter-final. He was only 17 years old.

Hibs went on to the Scottish Cup final that year only to lose 1-0 to Clyde, with Joe having a "goal" disallowed for hand ball. No subs in those days, and Hibs Andy Aitken was kicked out of the game early doors.

A crowd of 97,000 at Hampden that day, the majority of them Hibs supporters, all finally hoping / expecting to see Hibs lift that trophy. Imagine 97,000 for a game against Clyde!

Hibs, in fact no Scottish club, will never be able to keep players as good as Joe. Certainly not these days when players as good as him can command huge wages in the top leagues in England, Spain, Germany and Italy.

Jonnyboy
21-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Joe was my boyhood hero & I was delighted in later life to meet him on many occasions & find out he was just such a great guy. One story which I may have posted on here before, Joe came down to London as our guest for our Burns Night & he was also guest of honour at Arsenal that day, they also did a 2 page centrepiece on Joe in the programme. I lost Joe after the game but eventually found him in the bootroom with Pat Rice, John Barnwell & a few apprentices ( serving beer & sandwiches ). An apprentice told Pat he had a phone call from upstairs & pestered Pat until he finally took the call. Pat picked up the phone & said, "would you kindly F*** off, I'm talking to a legend!!" That IMO says it all, Joe, a true legend.
PS, a post above refers to the 4-3 game at PBS. Incredibly Yams won the league that year & had a +99 goal difference. They conceded 11 league goals at home all season & yet a 17 year old Joe scored 4 in 90 minutes, unbelievable!

I too was fortunate to meet Joe in his post playing days. He was a club ambassador alongside Lawrie Reilly and Pat Stanton. I sat with those three on one occasion when doing an interview for the website and the measure of just how humble Joe was, was demonstrated beautifully when I referred to his legendary status and he replied "Nah son, if it's a legend yer after you should be speaking to Lawrie here"

Joe was a lovely man and didn't have a single 'Bertie Big Bollocks' cell in his body

brog
21-07-2014, 07:19 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a Joe Baker t shirt?l

The shop at bottom of the Walk, Constitution St, does great t's. You could try there. I think club shop was also doing at one time.

winnipeg jets
21-07-2014, 07:31 PM
l

The shop at bottom of the Walk, Constitution St, does great t's. You could try there. I think club shop was also doing at one time.

Thanks I'll give it a try.

stu in nottingham
21-07-2014, 07:32 PM
Just a small selection below of the adulation for Joe Baker in Nottingham. He's STILL loved all these years later. The last one is one of the songs they used to sing for him. Nickname at Forest: 'The King' or 'Zigger Zagger'.

When I think of the excitement of watching Joe as a kid it sends shivers through me. Wow.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/images/localpeople/ugc-images/275790/Article/images/13490219/3228716.png

--

Possibly the greatest forward ever to pull on the garabaldi red.
Definitely in the best X1 of all time (well the 45+ years that I've been going down the City Ground ).

Joe Baker for me has to there, like one's first love, never forgotten and he was that good, loved by all.

Trent End all standing in those days chanting zigazagger zigazagger Joe Baker was awesome sound one of my all time favourite players so fast and a great duo with Wignall. Joe would get the ball on the half way line and just run at the defence.

I agree, the Baker scissor kick at the City Ground was something to behold. The king is dead, long live the king.

King Joe Baker - long live the King

…and a small stand-up cardboard cutout of Joe Baker on my Bedside table that came free with "The Mirror" I think?

'In Dublin's fair city
Where the girls are so pretty
I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone
As she wheeled her wheel-barrow
Through streets broad and narrow
Crying
Joe Joe Joe Baker
Joe Joe Joe Baker'

Ray_
23-07-2014, 12:48 AM
Just a small selection below of the adulation for Joe Baker in Nottingham. He's STILL loved all these years later. The last one is one of the songs they used to sing for him. Nickname at Forest: 'The King' or 'Zigger Zagger'.

When I think of the excitement of watching Joe as a kid it sends shivers through me. Wow.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/images/localpeople/ugc-images/275790/Article/images/13490219/3228716.png

--

Possibly the greatest forward ever to pull on the garabaldi red.
Definitely in the best X1 of all time (well the 45+ years that I've been going down the City Ground ).

Joe Baker for me has to there, like one's first love, never forgotten and he was that good, loved by all.

Trent End all standing in those days chanting zigazagger zigazagger Joe Baker was awesome sound one of my all time favourite players so fast and a great duo with Wignall. Joe would get the ball on the half way line and just run at the defence.

I agree, the Baker scissor kick at the City Ground was something to behold. The king is dead, long live the king.

King Joe Baker - long live the King

…and a small stand-up cardboard cutout of Joe Baker on my Bedside table that came free with "The Mirror" I think?

'In Dublin's fair city
Where the girls are so pretty
I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone
As she wheeled her wheel-barrow
Through streets broad and narrow
Crying
Joe Joe Joe Baker
Joe Joe Joe Baker'

Very true Stu, I don't think King Gary Birtles has the same ring about it. :greengrin

stu in nottingham
23-07-2014, 09:02 AM
Very true Stu, I don't think King Gary Birtles has the same ring about it. :greengrin

:greengrin Garry, was good - very good in fact - but there'll only ever be one be one 'King of the Trent End'!