PDA

View Full Version : Three at the Back

spike220
18-07-2014, 09:19 AM
I see Stubbs has been experimenting with 3 at the back, this might well be the forward for us!!

Hfc_Since1875
18-07-2014, 09:30 AM
Stubbs says in this report that he wants to have it as an option rather than preffered formation but its refreshing to have a manager thinking like this!

The travelling support which made up the majority of the 2712 crowd in Fife saw a new-look Hibs side, with Stubbs opting for a 3-5-2 approach as all but three of the starting X1 played the full game. Stubbs explained: “When I was coaching at Everton we were flexible. I don’t want my team to be one dimensional playing the same system week in, week out.

“I want us to be able to play different styles, different systems. But it’s not systems that win you games, it’s the people on the pitch. No matter what system you play, it’s about getting results and if it means playing a different system from one game to the next and us winning I am prepared to do that.”

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-boss-not-rushing-into-a-keeper-buy-1-3478044

db03
18-07-2014, 09:40 AM
said it more than once last season we should have been playing a 3 5 2 and giving teams something to worry about rather than sitting back and letting teams come at us

ian cruise
18-07-2014, 09:41 AM
I read something a while back that was suggesting with the frequent use of the 4 5 1 formation by teams that we may em see the return of the 3 5 2 as a perfect way to counter it.

You don't need 4 defenders if opposition only plays 1 forward and by having 5 in midfield and 2 upfront it restricts their midfield from being too attack minded while still allowing your wingback to opportunity to track back any time the 4 5 1 becomes a 4 3 3

Northern Hibby
18-07-2014, 09:43 AM
We should adopt a Plan B song to celebrate the fact that we ACTUALLY HAVE one!

jacomo
18-07-2014, 02:24 PM
I read something a while back that was suggesting with the frequent use of the 4 5 1 formation by teams that we may em see the return of the 3 5 2 as a perfect way to counter it.

You don't need 4 defenders if opposition only plays 1 forward and by having 5 in midfield and 2 upfront it restricts their midfield from being too attack minded while still allowing your wingback to opportunity to track back any time the 4 5 1 becomes a 4 3 3

I love the way football systems and tactics keep shifting and changing. Normally as a reaction to an innovation or new approach. A back three definitely seems to be coming back into vogue... I think the increased athleticism and flexibility of footballers makes it an option.

I think it also needs work and practice to get it right - Everton were famed under Moyes for being well drilled, and I imagine AS is bringing this into our preparations.

weecounty hibby
18-07-2014, 03:14 PM
3-2-5. We were quite successful with that formation a few years ago

TheFamous1875
18-07-2014, 04:27 PM

Aye, too right:

Zibi.

Stephens. O'Hanlon. Guethussi.

O'Brien. Soares.

Van Zanten. Konte. Kuqi. Vine. Kujabi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Billy Whizz
18-07-2014, 04:32 PM

Smith Sauzee Fenwick

Lovell O'neill Jack Latapy Laursen

Mixu Zitelli

Moon unit
18-07-2014, 04:35 PM
We should adopt a Plan B song to celebrate the fact that we ACTUALLY HAVE one!

"We have a plan B, we have a plan B...Hibernian...We have a plan B"!...

Bishop Hibee
18-07-2014, 04:38 PM
Smith Sauzee Fenwick

Mixu Zitelli

Worked brilliantly with a player of Sauzee's quality marshalling the defence and decent wing-backs. I prefer 4-4-2 when the players are mediocre but 3-5-2 seemed en vogue during the world cup. Look away now if Nelson is playing in a back 3.

Northernhibee
18-07-2014, 04:40 PM
Worked brilliantly with a player of Sauzee's quality marshalling the defence and decent wing-backs. I prefer 4-4-2 when the players are mediocre but 3-5-2 seemed en vogue during the world cup. Look away now if Nelson is playing in a back 3.

He did very well in that back three last time around.

Smartie
18-07-2014, 04:47 PM
I think that a song is also required to celebrate the fact that plan A is no longer lumping it up the park to James Collins.

Billy Whizz
18-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Heard Harry Redknapp on talk sport last night, said QPR will probably play 352 in the coming season

Green Reaper
18-07-2014, 04:58 PM
http://youtu.be/UYvQWG3nhKw

Green Reaper
18-07-2014, 05:03 PM
Maybe a sign.....could be our year! :-)

http://youtu.be/qg5-2uzIHBI

Jonnyboy
18-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Smith Sauzee Fenwick

Mixu Zitelli

Even back then we were ace without a keeper :greengrin

Billychaotic182
18-07-2014, 07:10 PM
Problem I have with it is Booth was one of the three center half's but I think we can all agree that booths strengths are going forward and over lappin with the left winger. I think we would loss more than we gain having him there. However I've not seen him play in two years so things could have changed

Billy Whizz
18-07-2014, 07:28 PM
Problem I have with it is Booth was one of the three center half's but I think we can all agree that booths strengths are going forward and over lappin with the left winger. I think we would loss more than we gain having him there. However I've not seen him play in two years so things could have changed
Think he played left of the 3 cause Paul Hanlon was injured

BT58
18-07-2014, 07:33 PM
To play 3 at the back we need MOBILITY from all 3 ( have we got that )
5 in midfield ( 2 pacey fbs/wbs ) can our new guy and Boothy do this ??
2 up top
The new guy & an other or the Heff
Maybe AS has got it right in what he is saying that a small squad will do
Me ??? Nah we need PACE AND A CREATIVE MIDFIELDER
This league is there to be WON
Btw we need a goalie too..LOL

lumbo_hfc
19-07-2014, 11:08 AM
I think this formation could work but at Dunfermline it was more of a 3-5-1-1 with Handling Playing off Allan. For this to work i think the 2 forwards have to be pushed right up and closer together and the support coming from the midfield (the likes of Stanton, Craig and Robertson)

New Goalie

Forster. Nelson. Hanlon
Gray. Booth

Robertson. Craig

Stanton

El Alagui. Cummings

Still think we need at least 3 new outfield players plus a goalie but i think that with the squad we have just now, this team couls be competitive this season playing the right football.

Smartie
19-07-2014, 11:40 AM
I think this formation could work but at Dunfermline it was more of a 3-5-1-1 with Handling Playing off Allan. For this to work i think the 2 forwards have to be pushed right up and closer together and the support coming from the midfield (the likes of Stanton, Craig and Robertson)

New Goalie

Forster. Nelson. Hanlon
Gray. Booth

Robertson. Craig

Stanton

El Alagui. Cummings

Still think we need at least 3 new outfield players plus a goalie but i think that with the squad we have just now, this team couls be competitive this season playing the right football.

I think that this could just about work.

I'd probably play Stanton deeper and push Craig further up though - we need deeper defensive midfielders who are comfortable taking the ball in tight situations ike Stanton is, as I'd prefer to have Craig getting up with the strikers and getting shots away from around the edge of the box.

I also like that we get Forster in the team for his threat from set pieces, but I've never been convinced by him at CH next to either Nelson or Hanlon alone.

I'd also quite like to see Stevenson at centre-midfield instead of any of the 3 mentioned, he's better in the tackle than any of them.

My main problem with us last season was that none of the players seemed to compliment each other. None of the players could play up front on their own, I didn't think we could play 4 in midfield without being overrun, I wasn't convinced by any centre-half pairing, our wide midfielders often left our fullbacks horribly exposed etc etc. This formation uses largely the same players but I think would get the best out of them.

We need a vocal keeper to keep that defence in shape though.

I like it.