PDA

View Full Version : Steven Dobie

Hibernia Na Eir
16-07-2014, 08:26 PM
scored 4 goals for Crystal Palace tonight in a 13-1 victory over Graz.

weecounty hibby
16-07-2014, 08:47 PM
scored 4 goals for Crystal Palace tonight in a 13-1 victory over Graz.

Think it was five. All in second half

The_Exile
16-07-2014, 11:51 PM
Did he not score 4 or 5 for us in a game once? Montrose possibly? IMO he was one of the most gifted finishers we've had in recent times, I remember the Rangers fans going mental when they let him go.

lord bunberry
16-07-2014, 11:56 PM
Did he not score 4 or 5 for us in a game once? Montrose possibly? IMO he was one of the most gifted finishers we've had in recent times, I remember the Rangers fans going mental when they let him go.

I think it was Montrose. He's done well for himself after the problems in his early career, I remember him at hibs he was always a couple of stone overweight, was it queen of the south he went to and finally got himself into shape?

Auckland Hibs
17-07-2014, 12:08 AM
I think it was Montrose. He's done well for himself after the problems in his early career, I remember him at hibs he was always a couple of stone overweight, was it queen of the south he went to and finally got himself into shape?

IMO he has always looked over weight at every club he's been at, however there's no denying he knows where the back of the net is!!

He scored in the Semi Final at Hampden against Rangers IIRC, don't seem to have too many other memories of his performances or key goals?

Who did we get him from?

Who did he leave for?

Did we get a decent fee for him (did we pay a fee for him)?

Again, IIRC someone told me that he has some personal issues whilst at ER i.e. liked the ladies, beers and bookies.

Time For Heroes
17-07-2014, 12:19 AM
IMO he has always looked over weight at every club he's been at, however there's no denying he knows where the back of the net is!!

He scored in the Semi Final at Hampden against Rangers IIRC, don't seem to have too many other memories of his performances or key goals?

Who did we get him from?

Who did he leave for?

Again, IIRC someone told me that he has some personal issues whilst at ER i.e. liked the ladies, beers and bookies.

started at Rangers IIRC?
Moved to St.Johnstone as he wasn't cutting the mustard with us. Bit of a late bloomer

speedy_gonzales
17-07-2014, 01:41 AM
I seem to recall he had an issue with his eyes, contacts didn't work very well then he got LASIK, never looked back(pardon the pun).

Michael
17-07-2014, 04:57 AM
Always liked him, but he never really got going with us. His career is pretty ridiculous. I'd buy his autobiography!

Iain G
17-07-2014, 05:17 AM
Always liked him, but he never really got going with us. His career is pretty ridiculous. I'd buy his autobiography!

I always thought he never got a fair crack at the first team, guess the guys ahead of him in the pecking order limited his chances, knew how to finish a chance though!

Forza Fred
17-07-2014, 05:42 AM
started at Rangers IIRC?
Moved to St.Johnstone as he wasn't cutting the mustard with us. Bit of a late bloomer

He was actually loaned to a team in Oz Rangers had the controlling interest in ..Northern Spirit...but he ended up top scorer and really was one for the future.

Was happy when after this Hibs signed him, and am still puzzled why it did not work out for him at Er

Wilson
17-07-2014, 07:58 AM
He was actually loaned to a team in Oz Rangers had the controlling interest in ..Northern Spirit...but he ended up top scorer and really was one for the future.

Was happy when after this Hibs signed him, and am still puzzled why it did not work out for him at Er

He got injured with us if I can recall. Looked promising until that point but never kicked on after it. Perhaps struggled with his fitness after the injury?

I'm sure he mentioned somewhere that getting dropped by Hibs was the kick up the arse he needed. Seems to have gone from strength to strength since.

Good on him.

bigwheel
17-07-2014, 08:04 AM

Who did we get him from?

Who did he leave for?

he transformed his body weight actually when at QoS...he has been lean for about 5+ years now...quite a different shape than his time here...

Barman Stanton
17-07-2014, 08:18 AM
The reason he never got many games was that we had Riordan and O'Connor up front when he was here. He also had McManus in front of him for a game and a young Steven Fletcher coming through. Depressing the riches we had up front then compared to now.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2014, 08:40 AM
Think the tipping point for Mowbray with Dobbie was when he missed an absolute sitter v Aberdeen (open goal, practically) by being too casual - we won the game 1-0 but his chance could have sealed it and made for a less nervous ending. IIRC he was sold shortly afterwards, as we had Riordan, O'Connor, Fletcher, Shiels, McManus and Morrow as forward options at the time.

When he went to St. Johnstone I honestly thought he would be a Dennis Wyness type 30 goal a season striker in the 1st Division, and was amazed when he was loaned to Dumbarton - apparently it was only then that he realised just how far he'd fallen, and then decided to get himself into proper shape. I'm sure Ian McCall once stated that Dobbie should have been embarrassed to have sunk so low, such was his ability.

Future17
17-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Stephen Dobbie. :agree:

TornadoHibby
17-07-2014, 01:51 PM

Blobby Williamson didn't think his mental attitude was good enough despite thinking that the boy had ability! :agree:

As a result, he did little to persuade Dobbie to eat less and train more and harder including with the ball and the rest is history! :agree:

How to get the best out of your players eh? :rolleyes:

Hibby K
17-07-2014, 01:56 PM
Saw him at Center Parcs a couple of months ago with his family - has lost a lot of weight, almost unrecognisable from his Hibs days.
How we could have done with him last season!.

SunshineOnLeith
17-07-2014, 04:47 PM
He's done well since leaving us and dropping down a level to refocus but let's not romanticise his time at Hibs, other than the Montrose and Rangers games did he ever score for us?

Aldo
17-07-2014, 06:14 PM
He's done well since leaving us and dropping down a level to refocus but let's not romanticise his time at Hibs, other than the Montrose and Rangers games did he ever score for us?

He did set up GOC for his last minute winner against the Yams at ER when Brebner was Red carded for nowt.

HibbyAndy
17-07-2014, 07:41 PM
He did set up GOC for his last minute winner against the Yams at ER when Brebner was Red carded for nowt.

That sending off was actually laughable :agree: Hugh Dallas (IIRC?) came out after the match and held his hands up and admitted he got it wrong, I no ***** sherlock!..Cue GOC scoring in injury time to send Easter rd absolutley f****n wild.

R.E Dobbie, Never kicked a ball for us but lets give credit where its due, The boy knuckled down and hard work and graft pays off..He never in a million years had half the talent that GOC and Riordan did but who is playing at the highest level in Europe? Stephen Dobbie is.

It wisnae Dallas but iv'e got the prick in my heid.

judas
17-07-2014, 07:44 PM
He was never Hibs class.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2014, 07:46 PM
That sending off was actually laughable :agree: Hugh Dallas (IIRC?) came out after the match and held his hands up and admitted he got it wrong, I no ***** sherlock!..Cue GOC scoring in injury time to send Easter rd absolutley f****n wild.

R.E Dobbie, Never kicked a ball for us but lets give credit where its due, The boy knuckled down and hard work and graft pays off..He never in a million years had half the talent that GOC and Riordan did but who is playing at the highest level in Europe? Stephen Dobbie is.

It wisnae Dallas but iv'e got the prick in my heid.

Was it Stuart Dougal?

HibbyAndy
17-07-2014, 07:46 PM
Was it Stuart Dougal?

Your right, :aok:

Joke sending off.