PDA

View Full Version : Mid Table Team?

hihohibby
15-07-2014, 09:10 PM
If the bulk of those players left over from last season form the bulk of our 1st 11 this season, then I really do see us finishing mid-table at best.

SaulGoodman
15-07-2014, 09:13 PM
Ffs

TheFamous1875
15-07-2014, 09:15 PM
Why are we freaking out about a pre-season draw, which by most accounts we played really good football, dominated the game and would've win by about 3-4 goals had their goalie not played a blinder?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SaulGoodman
15-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Why are we freaking out about a pre-season draw, which by most accounts we played really good football, dominated the game and would've win by about 3-4 goals had their goalie not played a blinder?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Because people have been desperate to jump on the first thing they can be negative about,

Hibbyradge
15-07-2014, 09:17 PM
If the bulk of that post becomes you're regular posting style, I don't see you finishing the season at all.

The bulk of that post is the worst in the SFL this close season.

Enough to gie you the bulk...

Gerard
15-07-2014, 09:19 PM
If the bulk of that post becomes you're regular posting style, I don't see you finishing the season at all.

The bulk of that post is the worst in the SFL this close season.

Enough to gie you the bulk...

These posts of negativity are relegation class. lol

Scottie
15-07-2014, 09:20 PM
If the bulk of that starting line up become our regular 1st 11 this season, then I really do see us finishing mid-table at best. The bulk of those players were regulars in the worst team to grace the SPL last season.
Please, Alan, let it not be. New tactics and belief in these players will not make any of them better or more effective players.

Chill out man. Have a spliff FFS. :cb

The_Todd
15-07-2014, 09:20 PM
Sometimes only a lol will do.

CallumLaidlaw
15-07-2014, 09:22 PM
Dundee 2-0 Man City

zolliehibs
15-07-2014, 09:23 PM
Draw 0-0 with a team we battered in a friendly and we're going to be mid table... I guess Man City should brace themselves for relegation seeing as Dundee beat them aye? Needless thread.

Weststandwanab
If the bulk of that starting line up become our regular 1st 11 this season, then I really do see us finishing mid-table at best. The bulk of those players were regulars in the worst team to grace the SPL last season.
Please, Alan, let it not be. New tactics and belief in these players will not make any of them better or more effective players.

I think we have found one here - have you logged o to the wrong site ?

zolliehibs
Dundee 2-0 Man City

Snap!

blackpoolhibs
15-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Dundee 2-0 Man City

Great result by a team with most of their new players in early enough to bed in and play the way their manager wants.

CapitalGreen
15-07-2014, 09:27 PM
The bulk of that starting 11 was sitting mid table in the SPL before butcher worked his magic.

I trust Stubbs to get the best out of those players and add some extra talent to add some creativity. A lot of positives to take from tonight's game.

Stax
15-07-2014, 09:28 PM
We're you at the game? Genuine question.

NorthNorfolkHFC
15-07-2014, 09:31 PM

I actually agree but disagree with the last part. Alan and his team will hopefully bring a new positivity to the club.

I am still concerned about certain players but at this stage of pre season I don't think we can get our knickers in a twist. Especially after a 0-0 draw in July.

"Kommen sie bitte und listen to Kraftwerk!"

hihohibby
15-07-2014, 09:31 PM
I think we have found one here - have you logged o to the wrong site ?

I am merely stating an opinion that there are players from last season who are simply not capable of raising their game and taking our club to the level required to compete at the top end of the 2nd tier. Along with many other Hibees, I have named these individuals on more than one occasion. There is a wealth of threads on the failings of these same players. Sticking my head in the sand in the vague hope that somehow they will become everything they had a whole season to prove they are not, is not my way. I really hope that Alan Stubbs makes crucial personnel changes in order to give himself a fighting chance in what will be a long, hard and unforgiving baptismal season ahead.

H18Y GW
15-07-2014, 09:32 PM

IM not Mr PC but i cant believe your not binned for that nonsense **** boy

CallumLaidlaw
15-07-2014, 09:32 PM
Great result by a team with most of their new players in early enough to bed in and play the way their manager wants.

Oh I agree but still a freak result really, and the result will have absolutely no bearing on how the 2 teams will perform over the season

Thecat23
15-07-2014, 09:33 PM
I give up!!

This place is packed with ****ing losers.

H18Y GW
15-07-2014, 09:34 PM
I am merely stating an opinion that there are players from last season who are simply not capable of raising their game and taking our club to the level required to compete at the top end of the 2nd tier. Along with many other Hibees, I have named these individuals on more than one occasion. There is a wealth of threads on the failings of these same players. Sticking my head in the sand in the vague hope that somehow they will become everything they had a whole season to prove they are not, is not my way. I really hope that Alan Stubbs makes crucial personnel changes in order to give himself a fighting chance in what will be a long, hard and unforgiving baptismal season ahead.

Too late for reason imo

Brightside
15-07-2014, 09:35 PM
On speaking to guys at the game it sounds like we played some decent football, playing a new formation and again blooding more players. Only a great performance from their keeper stopped us by winning by 2 or3. Nothing but positives to be taken for now.

blackpoolhibs
15-07-2014, 09:36 PM
Oh I agree but still a freak result really, and the result will have absolutely no bearing on how the 2 teams will perform over the season

I think a result and a performance like they got apparently, can help with confidence. The result as you say has no bearing, but good performances do help.

H18Y GW
15-07-2014, 09:37 PM
I give up!!

Its whimsical,i wish they would **** off,yes its a Forum and all about opinions
BUT
Getting ridiculous

cleanyman
15-07-2014, 09:37 PM
The squad right now isn't good enough and at the moment, would finish no higher than 4th.

However, still a few weeks to go and I believe Stubbs will get it right.

3pm
15-07-2014, 09:38 PM
Troll.

H18Y GW
15-07-2014, 09:39 PM
The squad right now isn't good enough and at the moment, would finish no higher than 4th.

However, still a few weeks to go and I believe Stubbs will get it right.

Another expert at Championship level :aok:

B.H.F.C
15-07-2014, 09:39 PM
It's not the fact that we drew with Dunfermline that worries me. By all accounts their goalie stopped us winning. It's just one look at the starting line up that worries me. The season is getting closer and closer. Time to pick up the pace a bit on the signing front. We don't exactly have many games to fine tune stuff now.

Thecat23
15-07-2014, 09:40 PM
Its whimsical,i wish they would **** off,yes its a Forum and all about opinions
BUT
Getting ridiculous

It is getting beyond a joke. This used to be a good place to come and have a bit banter and stuff. Now it's constant digs at the team.

For anyone concerned about a 0-0 pre-season game. I'll let you into a wee secret. The result matters not a jot!!! It's about getting to match fitness and knowing the players your playing with. If you win bonus if not it doesn't matter a ****. Get a ****ing grip people.

Ozyhibby
15-07-2014, 09:40 PM
I give up!!

A bit harsh calling the Doom and gloomers losers. They're on a 5 season winning streak against the happy clappers when it comes to predicting our fortunes.
:-)

cleanyman
15-07-2014, 09:41 PM

No expert but I take in a lot of football across the leagues.

This squad isn't good enough right now.

Thecat23
15-07-2014, 09:43 PM
A bit harsh calling the Doom and gloomers losers. They're on a 5 season winning streak against the happy clappers when it comes to predicting our fortunes.

Lol, 90% of this board are prob fine it's just the small minority who keep booting the club in the balls. I've not been happy with things far from it but it's a new season and Stubbs is just in the door.

Thecat23
15-07-2014, 09:45 PM
No expert but I take in a lot of football across the leagues.

This squad isn't good enough right now.

Of course it's not, we are a fair bit away and the manager will tell you that. farid didn't play so that's a striker down Cummings didn't play another one down and yet we played them off the park with a skeleton team.

So 4 or 5 more new players will take us to more than ready IMO.

cleanyman
15-07-2014, 09:47 PM
Of course it's not, we are a fair bit away and the manager will tell you that. farid didn't play so that's a striker down Cummings didn't play another one down and yet we played them off the park with a skeleton team.

So 4 or 5 more new players will take us to more than ready IMO.

I don't care about friendlies.

As I said on my other post, Stubbs will get it right.

Sir David Gray
15-07-2014, 09:48 PM
I'm pretty sure there will be a number of new signings coming in over the next few weeks so I'm not too worried at all at the moment.

Thecat23
15-07-2014, 09:49 PM
I don't care about friendlies.

As I said on my other post, Stubbs will get it right.

I think so as well. Folk seem to take friendlies way to seriously.

NorthNorfolkHFC
15-07-2014, 09:50 PM
Lol, 90% of this board are prob fine it's just the small minority who keep booting the club in the balls. I've not been happy with things far from it but it's a new season and Stubbs is just in the door.

From what I've read nobody is booting Stubbs.

I for one am 100% behind Stubbs, I have paid my season ticket for next season and have watched 2 out of 3 pre season matches.

I'm delighted with the way our new management is going about its business however, the squad is STILL largely made up of very poor athletes/footballers who will struggle when the opposition improves. This was proven (to an extent) this evening.

I am looking forward to the new season but the way in which our club was relegated is still very raw and there is still a huge amount of surgery required.

Northernhibee
15-07-2014, 09:52 PM
P3 W2 D1 L0 F8 A0. With 3/4 of a team.

No worrying from me yet.

blackpoolhibs
15-07-2014, 09:53 PM

The truth is in my opinion, this lot took us down and very few were good enough to play bottom 6 football. A lot have gone, but there's still a few who i think are poor players.

Only Hanlon and Robertson from last seasons side would get in my team. Now Stubbs has said he will bring in quality over quantity, but for me it is taking too long. We need sooooo many players for me if we are to try and win the league, and if i'm honest thats going to be very hard anyway.

My fear is we do the same as we do every year, and bring in the bargain basement players nobody else wants, but i have to believe Dempster and Stubbs when they say this time things will be different.

Its not enough to just say its a new season and Stubbs is just inside the door, we have to see actions that are a lot different to whats gone on before.

Thecat23
15-07-2014, 09:54 PM

I for one am 100% behind Stubbs, I have paid my season ticket for next season and have watched 2 out of 3 pre season matches.

I'm delighted with the way our new management is going about its business however, the squad is STILL largely made up of very poor athletes/footballers who will struggle when the opposition improves. This was proven (to an extent) this evening.

I am looking forward to the new season but the way in which our club was relegated is still very raw and there is still a huge amount of surgery required.

I'm not arguing that. Yep it's raw but we are where we are. Agree with squad as well but I think we'll get there. It's post like the first one that pisses me off.

TAHibby
15-07-2014, 09:54 PM
I know last season was ***** but christ it's a pre season friendly! Didn't see the entire game but seemed like we were unlucky not to score a couple. After man city's loss to Dundee in pre season, definitely looks like they're a side that will get relegated from the premier league.

Thecat23
15-07-2014, 09:57 PM
The truth is in my opinion, this lot took us down and very few were good enough to play bottom 6 football. A lot have gone, but there's still a few who i think are poor players.

Only Hanlon and Robertson from last seasons side would get in my team. Now Stubbs has said he will bring in quality over quantity, but for me it is taking too long. We need sooooo many players for me if we are to try and win the league, and if i'm honest thats going to be very hard anyway.

My fear is we do the same as we do every year, and bring in the bargain basement players nobody else wants, but i have to believe Dempster and Stubbs when they say this time things will be different.

Its not enough to just say its a new season and Stubbs is just inside the door, we have to see actions that are a lot different to whats gone on before.

BH your missing my point here. I'm sick to death of posts like the OP on here. I accept folk are hurting still I am too and this is the last place I want to be. This club has divided a lot of fans but there are folk that seem to have digs for no real reason.

I'm saying at least wait until the season starts FFS before hitting the panic button.

Baldy Foghorn
15-07-2014, 09:57 PM

So you dont think we will sign anymore players then? El Alagui will improve the team, and I expect another 3 or 4 signings. Not going to get overly concerned at this juncture

Spike Mandela
15-07-2014, 09:58 PM
It is getting beyond a joke. This used to be a good place to come and have a bit banter and stuff. Now it's constant digs at the team.

For anyone concerned about a 0-0 pre-season game. I'll let you into a wee secret. The result matters not a jot!!! It's about getting to match fitness and knowing the players your playing with. If you win bonus if not it doesn't matter a ****. Get a ****ing grip people.

Those that are complaining aren't moaning about the result ff it's the some of the names in the lineup.

There are names I certainly had hoped I wouldn't see in a Hibs first eleven ever again and hopefully that will be the case by the first league fixture. The above highlighted is made a mockery of if you don't get the majority of your signings in on time to experience the pre season friendlies.

New management team, playing style, promoted youngsters and 2 signings all positives at this stage but the sooner we get better players in the better no?

Thecat23
15-07-2014, 09:58 PM
I know last season was ***** but christ it's a pre season friendly! Didn't see the entire game but seemed like we were unlucky not to score a couple. After man city's loss to Dundee in pre season, definitely looks like they're a side that will get relegated from the premier league.

Man city may as well pack it in mate. Dundee will win the league as well. Pre season friendlies give everyone a proper idea of how teams are.

Stax
15-07-2014, 10:01 PM
As far as personnel changes, IMO our newly signed right back looked decent tonight as did the trialist Coulson he replaced in the second half. I enjoyed seeing Booth back in the team & thought Lewis was excellent tonight. I've never been nelsons biggest fan but he was decent tonight. Still a long way to go and we need more players but even the small tweaks Stubbs has made have been an improvement. We could have won by 4 tonight quite easily. I can't remember our keeper touching the ball never mind having a save to make until the last 10 mins. It was a good run out for the players which is all friendlies are about.

Jonnyboy
15-07-2014, 10:03 PM
Those that are complaining aren't moaning about the result ff it's the some of the names in the lineup.

There are names I certainly had hoped I wouldn't see in a Hibs first eleven ever again and hopefully that will be the case by the first league fixture. The above highlighted is made a mockery of if you don't get the majority of your signings in on time to experience the pre season friendlies.

New management team, playing style, promoted youngsters and 2 signings all positives at this stage but the sooner we get better players in the better no?

If we're 'stuck' with them Spike we have to make best use of them. I'll likely get slated for this but Michael Nelson actually looked like a footballer tonight. Night and day from last season.

Thecat23
15-07-2014, 10:04 PM

Again yes I'm the same, but what can I do about it? Who's to say some of these players might actually do well this year under Stubbs? Not saying they will but I'm not writing them off completely because we may well be seeing them most weeks again. A lot have left thankfully and I'd like to see couple more myself but hey ho not the end of the world.

As for getting players in I agree, quicker they play together the better. We are trying though and not just going for dross like most seasons. If it means waiting bit longer for quality fine by me!!

If we have a **** season again then by all means crack on but not pre season, for once wish some would just give it a rest.

blackpoolhibs
15-07-2014, 10:04 PM
BH your missing my point here. I'm sick to death of posts like the OP on here. I accept folk are hurting still I am too and this is the last place I want to be. This club has divided a lot of fans but there are folk that seem to have digs for no real reason.

I'm saying at least wait until the season starts FFS before hitting the panic button.

I don't think there's any need to hit the panic button yet, and i don't really bother about pre season results. I think whats nagging away at me is its a bit samey again. A couple of signings and trialists trying to earn a contract.

And it is only 3 weeks until our first game, with in my opinion 6 players needed who were better than what left. As i said no need to panic yet, but we really do need to get a settled side together for the start of the season and i have my doubts that's going to happen on time.

Thecat23
15-07-2014, 10:05 PM
If we're 'stuck' with them Spike we have to make best use of them. I'll likely get slated for this but Michael Nelson actually looked like a footballer tonight. Night and day from last season.

Thank god someone said that!! Maybe he's not being told to HOOOOOF it anymore and feels happy to play it along the deck?!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-07-2014, 10:05 PM
It's a pre season friendly and folk are wetting the bed already. :faf:

blackpoolhibs
15-07-2014, 10:06 PM

Who?

Thecat23
15-07-2014, 10:08 PM
I don't think there's any need to hit the panic button yet, and i don't really bother about pre season results. I think whats nagging away at me is its a bit samey again. A couple of signings and trialists trying to earn a contract.

And it is only 3 weeks until our first game, with in my opinion 6 players needed who were better than what left. As i said no need to panic yet, but we really do need to get a settled side together for the start of the season and i have my doubts that's going to happen on time.

BH they are all things I agree with you. I think we will get better than what's left. Christ be almost impossible not too!! This team for me needs to be done right or risk losing everyone bar couple thousand diehards. I'm hoping that's what's happening and the start of the season we will have an idea of how we are.

NorthNorfolkHFC
15-07-2014, 10:09 PM

Without being picky, Man City are still missing 'a couple' of their regulars.

For many this is not a knee jerk to this evening just a reminder after two pre season wins it's easy to forget how last season ended. We still have the players that are very poor and need replaced.

I hope Stubbs realises this and tonight against marginally better opposition he will hopefully have taken a few notes. Our midfield needs rebuilt with creativity or our new striker will look no better than James Collins.

"That was classic intercourse!"

Jonnyboy
15-07-2014, 10:09 PM

Never going to happen G. If we sign three, say will that be a failure?

Kato
15-07-2014, 10:12 PM

Hi, hiho. Have you got work to go?

NorthNorfolkHFC
15-07-2014, 10:13 PM

I don't think they are.

It's just very obvious that we have the same players with only two new signings. We have done no strengthening in the area we needed it most.

We need 3 possibly 4 midfielders/wingers that have pace and can beat a man. We need a goalkeeper and possibly another striker. 6 to arrive in three weeks.

I've got my fingers crossed.

blackpoolhibs
15-07-2014, 10:14 PM

If we only sign another 3 then the youngsters will have to step up to the plate big style imo. We need a keeper, thats one John. 2 others would have to be of the caliber of Sauzee and Latapy to drag this lot anywhere near the summit in my opinion John.

I'd be hugely disappointed if we only brought in 3 more players John.

Baldy Foghorn
15-07-2014, 10:14 PM
Thank god someone said that!! Maybe he's not being told to HOOOOOF it anymore and feels happy to play it along the deck?!

Definitely Cat, instructed to hoof it under Butcher, now the team as a whole are trying to play the ball on the deck....Long may it continue

NorthNorfolkHFC
15-07-2014, 10:15 PM

It'll be a failure If we can't win any games with five new signings when we needed a whole new team.

Jonnyboy
15-07-2014, 10:18 PM
If we only sign another 3 then the youngsters will have to step up to the plate big style imo. We need a keeper, thats one John. 2 others would have to be of the caliber of Sauzee and Latapy to drag this lot anywhere near the summit in my opinion John.

What a name dropper you are :greengrin

Let's wait and see who comes in. Gray looks good both defensively and offensively, like a right back in fact :greengrin The new striker has scored plenty at this level before so knows what's expected of him. I think if we bring in a keeper, a midfielder with a bit of pace and another striker coupled with improved performances from those still here from last season and a couple of youngsters stepping up to the plate we'll be in the mix

Brightside
15-07-2014, 10:19 PM
I think we will get another 3 max. Goalie, CH, and attacking mid. That will be enough to win this league. IF we actually support them for a change.

DaveF
15-07-2014, 10:20 PM

Oh, come off it BH.

Have you seen any of the games in pre season to date? Tonight was my first game and I was amazed at the complete change in style. Players who looked utterly humpty last season (Craig, Nelson, Stevenson, Forster) all playing on the deck at every opportunity. YES, it was slow at times and YES we do need some pace to the team but we are heading in the right direction.

I would have been happy if any of those mentioned above walked out of ER in May and never returned, but someone else said they are now being coached properly and that is 100% spot on.

blackpoolhibs
What a name dropper you are :greengrin

Let's wait and see who comes in. Gray looks good both defensively and offensively, like a right back in fact :greengrin The new striker has scored plenty at this level before so knows what's expected of him. I think if we bring in a keeper, a midfielder with a bit of pace and another striker coupled with improved performances from those still here from last season and a couple of youngsters stepping up to the plate we'll be in the mix

Well John, if you are right John we will both be happy John. Any truth on the rumour we are after Collins John, John? :greengrin

silverhibee

How many games did you see in the Championship last season. ? :aok:

Jonnyboy
15-07-2014, 10:21 PM
Well John, if you are right John we will both be happy John. Any truth on the rumour we are after Collins John, John? :greengrin

:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
15-07-2014, 10:23 PM
Oh, come off it BH.

Have you seen any of the games in pre season to date? Tonight was my first game and I was amazed at the complete change in style. Players who looked utterly humpty last season (Craig, Nelson, Stevenson, Forster) all playing on the deck at every opportunity. YES, it was slow at times and YES we do need some pace to the team but we are heading in the right direction.

I would have been happy if any of those mentioned above walked out of ER in May and never returned, but someone else said they are now being coached properly and that is 100% spot on.

I watched about 20 minutes of tonights game, and as you say we do seem to be passing the ball now, and hopefully the players ARE being coached properly now. Yet as i am continually being told, pre season games mean nothing. :wink:

DaveF
15-07-2014, 10:24 PM
I watched about 20 minutes of tonights game, and as you say we do seem to be passing the ball now, and hopefully the players ARE being coached properly now. Yet as i am continually being told, pre season games mean nothing. :wink:

As you well know, the results don't mean a hell of a lot but the performances do.

Hibs90
15-07-2014, 10:25 PM
Well we need a keeper, centre half, right mid and a striker minimum but even then thats still putting alot of faith in the youngsters to get us back to the top flight.

Brightside
15-07-2014, 10:26 PM

Playing the game the right way. Small steps BH. My view is we've had a decent start to pre season. Lots still to work on and a few other players would help. But got to be positive now.

blackpoolhibs
15-07-2014, 10:26 PM
As you well know, the results don't mean a hell of a lot but the performances do.

Yip i agree with that, also you need to take the opposition into account when gauging that performance too.

H18Y GW
15-07-2014, 10:28 PM
How many games did you see in the Championship last season. ? :aok:

Im not passing ridiculous comments and you ???

DaveF
15-07-2014, 10:28 PM
Yip i agree with that, also you need to take the opposition into account when gauging that performance too.

Yer right. I'm off to stick a grand on Dundee to win the SPFL :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
15-07-2014, 10:29 PM
Yer right. I'm off to stick a grand on Dundee to win the SPFL :greengrin

Put 20p on for me while you are there. :greengrin

hihohibby
15-07-2014, 10:36 PM

My sentiments exactly.

hihohibby
15-07-2014, 10:51 PM
IM not Mr PC but i cant believe your not binned for that nonsense **** boy

Nonsense? What, that we were the worst side in the SPL last season and that key players from last season are still with us?
And since when does an opinion merit being, in your words, binned!

This forthcoming season is all about securing positive results to keep us in the hunt for promotion. I have accepted the demotion and life in the 2nd tier for a while (quite refreshing actually) and the positive changes like a new manager, new chief executive, new backroom staff, and two new faces...but I do not accept the fact that we are still stuck with players, who let us down so, so badly, and who, at the moment, look likely to be in our 1st 11. Last season's capitulations were and remain shameful and unacceptable. The lack of quality in our current squad concerns me enormously. Only more new faces bringing fight and, yes, quality, will appease a great many of us who want to see our club back at the top end of the SPL.

Jonnyboy
15-07-2014, 10:54 PM
Nonsense? What, that we were the worst side in the SPL last season and that key players from last season are still with us?

This forthcoming season is all about securing positive results to keep us in the hunt for promotion. I have accepted the demotion and life in the 2nd tier for a while (quite refreshing actually) and the positive changes like a new manager, new chief executive, new backroom staff, and two new faces...but I do not accept the fact that we are still stuck with players, who let us down so, so badly, and who, at the moment, look likely to be in our 1st 11. Last season's capitulations were and remain shameful and unacceptable. The lack of quality in our current squad concerns me enormously. Only more new faces bringing fight and, yes, quality, will appease a great many of us who want to see our club back at the top end of the SPL.

If those that let us down are not to be included and there's not enough new signings/kids breaking through, who would you play instead? The guys you refer too are going nowhere so we either let them sit in the stand earning their wages or we mould them into a side capable of competing at the top. Which is it to be?

Eyrie
15-07-2014, 10:56 PM

Do Doc, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Bashful and Sneezy know you're missing?

All the reports on the three games so far indicate that not only are we playing better football, but guys like Craig and Nelson are looking like footballers again. In addition we'll be up against a lower calibre of opposition in the league and haven't finished signing players yet.

So whilst the picture isn't perfect, it's nowhere near as bad as you want to believe.

Greencore
15-07-2014, 11:01 PM
If only Allan Stubbs was posting on this thread....

he would say...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPIsTKpAoE4

hihohibby
15-07-2014, 11:03 PM

I agree. Thus my starting a thread. I am fully behind Alan Stubbs and the new regime at ER.

hihohibby
15-07-2014, 11:16 PM
Draw 0-0 with a team we battered in a friendly and we're going to be mid table... I guess Man City should brace themselves for relegation seeing as Dundee beat them aye? Needless thread.

The draw and performance are irrelevant. I simply have no faith in the individual or collective ability of those players still with us from last season to raise their standards and deliver promotion-winning performances when it matters - in the cut and thrust of games that count. Thus, my belief that the same players, if they form the bulk of our starting 11, will secure no better than a mid-table position.

dmc1875
15-07-2014, 11:32 PM
A lot of that 'team' were sitting 7th pushing for mid-table until the Butcher ruined everything.

We need to remember that.

I am also sick of reminding people slating the likes of Hanlon, Nelson et all that in this league they are more than adequate.

We had one of the best defences in the SPL, the SPL last season, until Hanlon got injured. Hanlon and Nelson were a decent enough centre back pairing and will be this season in the championship.

Calm down. There is plenty of talent at this level already in the Hibs squad (of which a lot was missing tonight).

We will be stronger, playing better football, and winning in August. Positivity please! Onwards and upwards.

steakbake
15-07-2014, 11:35 PM
Basically a bounce match played in front of a paying crowd.

Saw plenty in that tonight that indicates we are going in the right direction. Their keeper had a very busy night and put in a solid performance.

Still, it wouldn't be Hibs if we didn't have a panic thread.

Nevi_SOL
16-07-2014, 12:13 AM
Lol

GGTTH

ekhibee
16-07-2014, 01:08 AM
Definitely Cat, instructed to hoof it under Butcher, now the team as a whole are trying to play the ball on the deck....Long may it continue
Sorry, but that's absolute nonsense. Nelson was **** a long time before Butcher arrived, something a lot of people on here seem to conveniently forget. Lots of people seem to have jumped on the 'it was totally Butcher's fault' bandwagon'. These players were woeful for the majority of last season, and Nelson was one of the worst. I would not be keeping him, not giving him a second chance because he's had plenty of chances already. He's not the only one either. All this talk of a clean slate? Seems to me that there's still plenty of chalk on it. And no, 3 players would definitely not be enough if we are still left with any of the **** from last season. That said, Stubbs still has time to form a decent team, but he's going to have to get his skates on. We have what we have, but that doesn't mean I forgive these players any more than I do Butcher.

MontrealHibs
16-07-2014, 01:20 AM
Dundee 2-0 Man City

Does this mean Dundee will win the Premiership!

BVB Hibs
16-07-2014, 01:44 AM
I think the two signings we've brought in have addressed a serious void we had in the side last year. Maybury did a solid yet unspectacular job last year, and you couldn't fault him, but Gray is stronger and can bring an attacking impetus that Maybury couldn't. El Alagui has goals at this level, and if he can recreate that, we don't need to worry up front, and we can try progress Handling or Cummings alongside him.

3 further signings would probably do the job, if we can keep everybody fit. Obviously, we need a good goalkeeper. Not overly fussed by experience like some others on here seem to be, but I think at our level we can probably pick up a Keeper above our standard if we're used as a stepping stone for a year or two. A solid, ball playing center half to partner Hanlon, with Forster to play back up at RB and CB and Nelson providing a further option would see us safe in the Defence. Our central midfield is as strong as any in the championship, Robertson is good and Stanton shows alot of promise. OTJ is also capable at this level and both Craig and Stevenson can fill in if necessary. We need somebody to set up goals though, whether we look at an attacking midfielder or a pacy winger, somebody needs to be able to put the ball on a plate for El Alagui and we know he's capable of finding the net. James Collins also has a proven record before coming to us, but not being able to set him up was our biggest issue last season.

A good bit probably rests on Craigs shoulders this year. We know what he's capable of from his time at St J, and he needs to rediscover that now for us. I think Stubbs style will suit him personally with the ball on the deck and him not being the only focal point. Capable of setting up and scoring and if he's on song he'll stroll the championship.

But, as said, 3 signings would be enough, provided they're of the necessary quality. That's not to say I wouldn't like more than 3; I'd personally like a further Striker and CM of a good SPFL quality, and potentially a left back. If we do make 3 of the right signings though, and we manage to keep them fit through the season, we'll be in the top 3 at the end of the season, no bother.

dmc1875
16-07-2014, 02:16 AM
Sorry, but that's absolute nonsense. Nelson was **** a long time before Butcher arrived, something a lot of people on here seem to conveniently forget. Lots of people seem to have jumped on the 'it was totally Butcher's fault' bandwagon'. These players were woeful for the majority of last season, and Nelson was one of the worst. I would not be keeping him, not giving him a second chance because he's had plenty of chances already. He's not the only one either. All this talk of a clean slate? Seems to me that there's still plenty of chalk on it. And no, 3 players would definitely not be enough if we are still left with any of the **** from last season. That said, Stubbs still has time to form a decent team, but he's going to have to get his skates on. We have what we have, but that doesn't mean I forgive these players any more than I do Butcher.

Sorry mate your wrong about nelson and the defence. Prior to Butcher arriving we had the second best defence in the league with a pairing of hanlon and nelson. Nelson is no cultured footballer but stats are stats we didn't concede many goals when he and hanlon were the cb pairing

Steve20
16-07-2014, 05:22 AM
The team will finish top 4, no doubt about it IMO. If we want to actually challenge Rangers for the league, we need to bring in a keeper, centre half, attacking midfielder, winger and a striker. Minimum. Anything less and it's the playoffs.

easty
16-07-2014, 06:32 AM
At worst we'll come third in the league.

Onceinawhile
16-07-2014, 06:34 AM
Are folk really suggesting this guy isn't a hibee just because he's worried about next season? The season starts relatively soon, and it only took us four injuries to be incapable of filling the bench! We have 15(?) Senior players of which none are goalies, and we aren't exactly making a large number of signings, so it's quite clear to see why he's worried.

whiskyhibby
16-07-2014, 06:41 AM
If the bulk of those players left over from last season form the bulk of our 1st 11 this season, then I really do see us finishing mid-table at best.

:jamboclow

brog
16-07-2014, 06:45 AM
Are folk really suggesting this guy isn't a hibee just because he's worried about next season? The season starts relatively soon, and it only took us four injuries to be incapable of filling the bench! We have 15(?) Senior players of which none are goalies, and we aren't exactly making a large number of signings, so it's quite clear to see why he's worried.

Yep, this guy already made exactly the same comments on the match thread. He didn't get enough people biting so he started a new thread. Is he worried or is he happy? LTYF! :wink: My first time ever.

Turkish Green
16-07-2014, 07:26 AM
I can understand your sentiments but you really need to give AS time to work with the squad. You need to look at the other teams in the Championship, even with last season's players Hibs should still be good enough to finish in the play-offs.

Did you really believe that AS would have the team hitting the ground running. Friendlies at this time of the year mean nothing and usually are boring affairs. I have always believed that spectators should not have to pay (or at least a minimum charge) to watch teams play pre-season practice matches - the VoL game I can understand as it was to raise funds for the club.

Gettin' Auld
16-07-2014, 07:48 AM
Hi, hiho. Have you got work to go?
:tee hee:

Keith_M
16-07-2014, 07:57 AM
Yep, this guy already made exactly the same comments on the match thread. He didn't get enough people biting so he started a new thread. Is he worried or is he happy? LTYF! :wink: My first time ever.

If you have a look at his posting history, he seems to revel in being a real misery guts.

The_Exile
16-07-2014, 08:05 AM
Tend not to post in these threads as it's completely pointless. There are a large number of Jambo's on this board who start threads like this then sit back and watch the resulting explosion, it's painful to watch fellow Hibbys be suckered in by such an obvious ploy.

On the footballing side, I don't understand this "these losers took us down", there's an element of truth to that but it was 99% Butcher that took us down. Do you honestly, HONESTLY think he said to Nelson "if the ball comes near you, take a few touches and play an accurate pass to the midfield" an Nelson then decided to hoof it??!!!!!!! Same with McGivern, you don't go from looking a good, solid, confident player to looking terrified and clueless overnight, it was the way we were playing, the instructions the players were told to follow. We're looking a lot better in pre-season than we did last year, granted it's not exactly stern tests or anything but I think we should all be looking forward to the new regime and the changes it's brought in. If Nelson leads the team this year then he'll get my (and the vast majority I would imagine) support.

Keith_M
16-07-2014, 08:09 AM
Ventura County Fusion 3 - 1 Rangers (http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/ventura-county-fusion-3-1-rangers-gers-outclassed-1-3478024)

"ALLY McCoist’s side slipped up against American semi-professional side Ventura County Fusion, losing 3-1 in the first game of their American tour. "

Looks like Rangers are destined for obscurity this season as well then.

:wink:

NorthNorfolkHFC
16-07-2014, 08:16 AM
Tend not to post in these threads as it's completely pointless. There are a large number of Jambo's on this board who start threads like this then sit back and watch the resulting explosion, it's painful to watch fellow Hibbys be suckered in by such an obvious ploy.

On the footballing side, I don't understand this "these losers took us down", there's an element of truth to that but it was 99% Butcher that took us down. Do you honestly, HONESTLY think he said to Nelson "if the ball comes near you, take a few touches and play an accurate pass to the midfield" an Nelson then decided to hoof it??!!!!!!! Same with McGivern, you don't go from looking a good, solid, confident player to looking terrified and clueless overnight, it was the way we were playing, the instructions the players were told to follow. We're looking a lot better in pre-season than we did last year, granted it's not exactly stern tests or anything but I think we should all be looking forward to the new regime and the changes it's brought in. If Nelson leads the team this year then he'll get my (and the vast majority I would imagine) support.

To be entirely honest I think some of the behaviour on here is bullying.

The same happened with BMD gate where he was hounded by a certain group for 'stealing' ITK information.

Now we have somebody posting comments that he's still concerned about the state of our squad and he's told that "he should be binned" or is a "yam".

I for one totally agree. Our squad is still very poor and still made up of the average footballers that got made to look like part timers against Hamilton and Raith Rovers. Stubbs' tactics will get more out of them but ultimately these guys will still be poor and still won't be able to beat a man as shown last night when they found it a little more challenging against improved opposition. It is pre season though so there is no need to panic and judge.....yet.

More to the point, lay off folk. We are meant to support the same team but it looks as if we are a bunch of bickering wee primary school boys.

brian6-2
16-07-2014, 08:25 AM
The levels of bawbaggery being spewed by so called Hibs fans for well over a year now has reached new heights. Thats there for all to see on this thread and from what i seen for the 3 minutes i was a member of any facebook page associated with hibs. Even the officiall Hibs page on Facebook is the same.

Sadly this place is also going down the swanny.

brian6-2
16-07-2014, 08:33 AM

The same happened with BMD gate where he was hounded by a certain group for 'stealing' ITK information.

Now we have somebody posting comments that he's still concerned about the state of our squad and he's told that "he should be binned" or is a "yam".

I for one totally agree. Our squad is still very poor and still made up of the average footballers that got made to look like part timers against Hamilton and Raith Rovers. Stubbs' tactics will get more out of them but ultimately these guys will still be poor and still won't be able to beat a man as shown last night when they found it a little more challenging against improved opposition. It is pre season though so there is no need to panic and judge.....yet.

More to the point, lay off folk. We are meant to support the same team but it looks as if we are a bunch of bickering wee primary school boys.

Have you seen Hibs yet under Stubbs? We have a more than capable squad that looks like its hungry again, also playing good fast paced football, with several players who look like new players playing with confidence. Pre season friendly or not if Hibs had scored the pen and not had that goal chopped off we would be sitting here saying different things. Its a pre season friendly, about fitness, work rate, trying new formations, trying players in new positions.

The only negative i took from last night was the fitness of Liam Craig who looked completely done in 5 minutes into the second half.

Other than that had it not been for a string of great save from the dunfermline keeper we would have won 4/5 nil.

Crossgates Hibs
16-07-2014, 08:35 AM
Sorry mate your wrong about nelson and the defence. Prior to Butcher arriving we had the second best defence in the league with a pairing of hanlon and nelson. Nelson is no cultured footballer but stats are stats we didn't concede many goals when he and hanlon were the cb pairing

I thought Nelson was one of our better players last night I also think he was told with many others to hoof it up the park rather than try to play it out. He isn't the best but the abuse he gets is unwarranted lets not forget our defence was very poor last season if we get a settled back four he will be fine.

NorthNorfolkHFC
16-07-2014, 08:36 AM
Have you seen Hibs yet under Stubbs? We have a more than capable squad that looks like its hungry again, also playing good fast paced football, with several players who look like new players playing with confidence. Pre season friendly or not if Hibs had scored the pen and not had that goal chopped off we would be sitting here saying different things. Its a pre season friendly, about fitness, work rate, trying new formations, trying players in new positions.

The only negative i took from last night was the fitness of Liam Craig who looked completely done in 5 minutes into the second half.

Other than that had it not been for a string of great save from the dunfermline keeper we would have won 4/5 nil.

If you read my posts from last night I've been to two of the pre season games but that wasn't my point, it's more to do with the behaviour of people on this fans forum.

Regardless of the score last night and what the score could have been (which I agree with) it doesn't change the quality of footballer. To avoid repeating myself I'll let you read back and see what I said.

IWasThere2016
16-07-2014, 08:41 AM
We passed the ball well.

Not sure there's enough flair in OTJ, RObbo and Craig - we need a Latapy/Zemamma type spark in there.

We need more striking options - and a fit and in form Harris and Stanton .. and it has the makings of a good team.

Handling's role was different - he did very well but just ran out of legs.

As nil-nils go I enjoyed it, but we need more in - keeper, creative CM, pace and a striker IMHO.

brian6-2
16-07-2014, 08:42 AM
If you read my posts from last night I've been to two of the pre season games but that wasn't my point, it's more to do with the behaviour of people on this fans forum.

Regardless of the score last night and what the score could have been (which I agree with) it doesn't change the quality of footballer. To avoid repeating myself I'll let you read back and see what I said.

So in your eyes last night who isnt fit to wear the shirt this season? what hasnt been good about this pre season so far? (on the pitch) We have a new man in charge and in all honesty every player he has kept deserves to have the slate wiped clean. Even Nelson is playing football!!!!

I have also been to all the pre season games and i genuinly cannot see why people are still being negative. We were being led by a complete hatchet man last season with zero ability or knowledge of how to play football, that rubbed of on everyone at the club. Mainly the players.

NorthNorfolkHFC
16-07-2014, 08:54 AM
So in your eyes last night who isnt fit to wear the shirt this season? what hasnt been good about this pre season so far? (on the pitch) We have a new man in charge and in all honesty every player he has kept deserves to have the slate wiped clean. Even Nelson is playing football!!!!

I have also been to all the pre season games and i genuinly cannot see why people are still being negative. We were being led by a complete hatchet man last season with zero ability or knowledge of how to play football, that rubbed of on everyone at the club. Mainly the players.

I don't think that's true as Butcher does have knowledge of how to play football unfortunately for us he made HUGE errors in man management and lost the changing room.

I seem to keep repeating myself, I am NOT being negative I am being realistic with what I am seeing.

To quote the headline from the Scotsman "the same old failings haunt Hibs".

Yes it is a pre season friendly but it's hardly coincidental that we couldn't score when the opposition improved and it only highlights our lack of creativity, no amount of improved tactics or team spirit is going to change that. Are you telling me that we couldn't figure out a way to score because their goalie was in inspired form? We "should/could have won 3/4 nil", very true but we didn't, and couldn't get a goal.

Guys like Nelson, Craig, Handling, Stevenson & Jones are very average footballers, if Stubbs continues to make positive changes one or two of them may find a role within a more creative team but if they form the backbone of our team (like last night) Stubbs will find it difficult.

brian6-2
16-07-2014, 09:01 AM
I don't think that's true as Butcher does have knowledge of how to play football unfortunately for us he made HUGE errors in man management and lost the changing room.

I seem to keep repeating myself, I am NOT being negative I am being realistic with what I am seeing.

To quote the headline from the Scotsman "the same old failings haunt Hibs".

Yes it is a pre season friendly but it's hardly coincidental that we couldn't score when the opposition improved and it only highlights our lack of creativity, no amount of improved tactics or team spirit is going to change that. Are you telling me that we couldn't figure out a way to score because their goalie was in inspired form? We "should/could have won 3/4 nil", very true but we didn't, and couldn't get a goal.

Guys like Nelson, Craig, Handling, Stevenson & Jones are very average footballers, if Stubbs continues to make positive changes one or two of them may find a role within a more creative team but if they form the backbone of our team (like last night) Stubbs will find it difficult.

I'll leave it at the scotsman part. if its in there it must be true. I fully apologise for seeing new belief and confidence in our players whom in my opinion are more than capable football players with the right guidance.

SanFranHibs
16-07-2014, 09:01 AM

I am not on this thread to predict doom and gloom...we will have to see how things unfold.

However....if the OP had come on with a simple poll question...where do you think we will finish in the league this season would everyone be calling him a loser because he suggests we might not win the league?

I confess, looking at our situation and what we have so far I have no idea how we will do. Sometimes optimistic that Stubbs will make us competitive (should have beaten Dunfermline soundly) but also worried that he will not have enough time to actually build a promotion team this year and we might be slow coming out of the traps.

And my point is is that if the OP had simply put up a poll I would not be sure how to cast my vote. If I was pressed I might plump for 3rd and no...not behind Hearts. Any chance that a Dumbarton or other decent team in the league from last year might keep it going? I will have to defer to others on this as I did not keep up enough last year of the championship teams other than results.

:flag:

NorthNorfolkHFC
16-07-2014, 09:07 AM
I'll leave it at the scotsman part. if its in there it must be true. I fully apologise for seeing new belief and confidence in our players whom in my opinion are more than capable football players with the right guidance.

Highlighting the scotsman doesn't suggest it's true, it just shows a similar train of thought.

Who is asking you to apologise? It's a forum.

You don't seem to have read my points about 'creativity' and failure to manufacture a goal.

In the long term it doesn't matter what you or I think, the proof will be when we start competing and as I said the signs are promising but 'improved' players are needed in key positions.

SlickShoes
16-07-2014, 09:10 AM

I must be a Jambo then because I am constantly worried about what sort of team we are going to field, when we have a tiny first team squad filled mostly with players that performed horribly last season and young guys that aren't ready for the first team. We have 0 goalies for the level we will be playing at.

Saying that Butcher is 99% to blame is ridiculous, everyone was to blame, you are telling me that 11 professional footballers on the field that couldn't muster the bottle to pick up a single point to keep us up or keep St Mirren from scoring in 13 seconds or keep Hamilton from getting a second goal is all butchers fault?

As far as I am concerned Nelson can take a running jump off a cliff, he was horrid for the majority of last season, to suggest that it was all butchers fault that his decision making was that poor he just hoofed it away constantly is a joke. Michael Nelson is a human man with a brain, he could have picked out a pass on multiple occasions but he never did.

Ship me off to tynecastle because I am not over joyed with two wins against teams that don't even matter.

brian6-2
16-07-2014, 09:15 AM
Highlighting the scotsman doesn't suggest it's true, it just shows a similar train of thought.

Who is asking you to apologise? It's a forum.

You don't seem to have read my points about 'creativity' and failure to manufacture a goal.

In the long term it doesn't matter what you or I think, the proof will be when we start competing and as I said the signs are promising but 'improved' players are needed in key positions.

At last we agree on something, but as supporters of the club should we not be giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I remember the last time we went down, we lost our first home game to stranraer then look what happened. this place will go into complete meltdown if that happens.

The_Exile
16-07-2014, 09:18 AM

Agree with a lot of what you say, but there is a fine line between perceived bullying and simple criticism. IMO a lot of these types of threads/posts are started deliberately as a means to get people arguing. Whether this one was or not isn't really relevant I guess, but I wouldn't say it's bullying. Some of the dogs abuse the players got last year from the stands, I would say that resembled bullying a lot more than a difference of opinion on a fans forum.

Players who play for Hibs aren't average footballers, there has to be a certain degree of talent there for a player to get to this level and this size of a club. The problem, as I see it, is a coaching problem. I could sit here and wax lyrical about Mowbray and McLeish for hours, and spend the same amount of time lambasting Butcher, Calderwood etc. We do actually have a talented bunch of players in our team, and we now have what many in the game consider a very good coach at the helm. Pre-season games so far have shown how better we look as a team, there's various whispers of a real togetherness going on, almost a siege mentality without the element of negativity that attitude brings. It should be a fascinating season, yes we need more players, they will come, I've no doubt about that. We all need to get on board this season, we've been booted in the baws more times than I care to remember, but the club is changing for the better, that much is obvious.

Paloschi
16-07-2014, 09:19 AM
I must be a Jambo then because I am constantly worried about what sort of team we are going to field, when we have a tiny first team squad filled mostly with players that performed horribly last season and young guys that aren't ready for the first team. We have 0 goalies for the level we will be playing at.

Saying that Butcher is 99% to blame is ridiculous, everyone was to blame, you are telling me that 11 professional footballers on the field that couldn't muster the bottle to pick up a single point to keep us up or keep St Mirren from scoring in 13 seconds or keep Hamilton from getting a second goal is all butchers fault?

As far as I am concerned Nelson can take a running jump off a cliff, he was horrid for the majority of last season, to suggest that it was all butchers fault that his decision making was that poor he just hoofed it away constantly is a joke. Michael Nelson is a human man with a brain, he could have picked out a pass on multiple occasions but he never did.

Ship me off to tynecastle because I am not over joyed with two wins against teams that don't even matter.

:top marks

NorthNorfolkHFC
16-07-2014, 09:22 AM
At last we agree on something, but as supporters of the club should we not be giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I remember the last time we went down, we lost our first home game to stranraer then look what happened. this place will go into complete meltdown if that happens.

Not blindly in my opinion, because I am worried about our current state does not mean I'm not supporting.

Supporting is not posting on a fans forum, supporting is buying season ticket, turning up on a match day and wearing the colours.

I also remember the last time we went down, we had Sauzee, Latapy & Mixu to sort us out. Don't think Nelson, Handling & Heffernan compare.

The_Exile
16-07-2014, 09:24 AM

I didn't suggest his decision making was poor, what I was insinuating is that Butcher wanted the back line to hoof the ball into the corners, Nelson was basically doing what he was told. I think you're overreacting to a throw away comment made in relation to the constant negativity on the board, the very definition of a supporter is the opposite of what we're seeing at the moment. We've got a new manager in, the squad have even said how happy and enjoyable training is, we're moving forward but the support are bickering. Do you honestly think we'll have a threadbare squad come the 9th of August?

dangermouse
16-07-2014, 09:26 AM
If those that let us down are not to be included and there's not enough new signings/kids breaking through, who would you play instead? The guys you refer too are going nowhere so we either let them sit in the stand earning their wages or we mould them into a side capable of competing at the top. Which is it to be?

:top marks There are some exciting youngsters coming through as well in Max Todd and Lewis Allen. Take into account we have a proper right back in the squad who has pace, not afraid to tackle and gets forward at every opportunity, Callum Booth back and looking like the player who showed so much promise, a new striker that scored goals for fun at this level in the past and players from last season who are unrecognisable (in a good way) in the way they play then there is room for optimism.

There are areas that need to be looked at and sorted out quickly, mainly the goalkeeper situation as I'm not sure Perntreou is a first choice keeper but will be adequate back up. We also need some pace up front as was clearly shown last night.

NorthNorfolkHFC
16-07-2014, 09:33 AM
Agree with a lot of what you say, but there is a fine line between perceived bullying and simple criticism. IMO a lot of these types of threads/posts are started deliberately as a means to get people arguing. Whether this one was or not isn't really relevant I guess, but I wouldn't say it's bullying. Some of the dogs abuse the players got last year from the stands, I would say that resembled bullying a lot more than a difference of opinion on a fans forum.

Players who play for Hibs aren't average footballers, there has to be a certain degree of talent there for a player to get to this level and this size of a club. The problem, as I see it, is a coaching problem. I could sit here and wax lyrical about Mowbray and McLeish for hours, and spend the same amount of time lambasting Butcher, Calderwood etc. We do actually have a talented bunch of players in our team, and we now have what many in the game consider a very good coach at the helm. Pre-season games so far have shown how better we look as a team, there's various whispers of a real togetherness going on, almost a siege mentality without the element of negativity that attitude brings. It should be a fascinating season, yes we need more players, they will come, I've no doubt about that. We all need to get on board this season, we've been booted in the baws more times than I care to remember, but the club is changing for the better, that much is obvious.

I agree with mostly all of what you say.

I think there is an element of luck involved with making it in Scotland. Yes, some of these guys will have talent but some can only be effective within a team that has balance.

Unfortunately with Hibs we have ended up with a team of squad fillers. Guys like Stevenson and Handling can 'do a job' when employed alongside good footballers.

Looking at our players from a scientific POV we are miles behind other countries in terms of training but that is an argument for another day. Some clubs in Scotland are getting there but we are still bringing through footballers who can't run or jump properly let alone kick the ball with accuracy and power.

SlickShoes
16-07-2014, 09:39 AM
I didn't suggest his decision making was poor, what I was insinuating is that Butcher wanted the back line to hoof the ball into the corners, Nelson was basically doing what he was told. I think you're overreacting to a throw away comment made in relation to the constant negativity on the board, the very definition of a supporter is the opposite of what we're seeing at the moment. We've got a new manager in, the squad have even said how happy and enjoyable training is, we're moving forward but the support are bickering. Do you honestly think we'll have a threadbare squad come the 9th of August?

The support are bickering because we have had one of the worst runs in living memory for most fans, since we won the cup in 2007 it's been a downward spiral. Sometimes I think people posting on here have forgot we were relegated last season.

I can't remember a time Hibs have been "ready" for day 1 of a season, we are always a couple of signings away from a decent team. I'd like for us to be ready for kick off in 3 weeks but I still think we need another 6 players to come in, based on our current rate of signing players that's not something that's going to happen quickly especially with the window open until the end of august a lot of deals could drag out until things down south fall through for certain players.

Baldy Foghorn
16-07-2014, 10:16 AM

Nelson was fine before he picked up his injury. Butcher instructed the player's to play it long into channels, it never suited us. We are where we are, yes in an ideal World some of these player's would be away, but whilst we can agree/disagree on who is honking, collectively the team needs our support more than ever, which was why I mentioned clean slate.....

Stubbs obviously thinks Nelson is fine, and I have to trust his judgement, but there has been an improvement in his play since Stubbs took over.....

SaulGoodman
16-07-2014, 10:30 AM
What a pish depressing thread.

edwards
16-07-2014, 10:48 AM
I give up!!

Cat at times I scratch my head in disbelief, was at the game last night and we had the majority of the pressure, we played with no recognised forwards and felt Danny Handling ran his guts out on a different night we could have got 4 at least. :confused:

NorthNorfolkHFC
16-07-2014, 10:58 AM
What a pish depressing thread.

I disagree. Poor thread title but quite interesting chat.

Betty Boop
16-07-2014, 11:22 AM

Yea

JIm
16-07-2014, 11:22 AM
We passed the ball well.

Not sure there's enough flair in OTJ, RObbo and Craig - we need a Latapy/Zemamma type spark in there.

We need more striking options - and a fit and in form Harris and Stanton .. and it has the makings of a good team.

Handling's role was different - he did very well but just ran out of legs.

As nil-nils go I enjoyed it, but we need more in - keeper, creative CM, pace and a striker IMHO.

Pretty much agree with all of this. Think Danny lacks that bit of pace to make him a real stand out player, although i think he has real potential. He just needs to work harder at his game and his lifestyle (along with many others throughout Scotland, Ryan Gauld is a great example of what you can achieve).

Slowly but surely a reasonable team taking shape.

As many have stated patience is the key, to many on here constantly pishing themsleves with panic.

ekhibee
16-07-2014, 11:24 AM
Nelson was fine before he picked up his injury. Butcher instructed the player's to play it long into channels, it never suited us. We are where we are, yes in an ideal World some of these player's would be away, but whilst we can agree/disagree on who is honking, collectively the team needs our support more than ever, which was why I mentioned clean slate.....

Stubbs obviously thinks Nelson is fine, and I have to trust his judgement, but there has been an improvement in his play since Stubbs took over.....
Fair enough mate, there's nothing wrong with optimism at all, and of course you're right about the team needing our support. I suppose, like a lot of people, I'm reserving judgement until a few games into the season. The last time Booth played for us he was great the first couple of games, then dropped away, but hopefully the experience he has picked up since then has made him a better, more consistent player. Not seen Gray yet, but by most accounts he seems to have played quite well in the last 2 games. It sounds as if one or two of the youngsters have been playing well too, lets hope they can carry that on into the forthcoming season. I suppose it was unrealistic of me to expect they would get rid of all the players that I saw as being just as responsible as the manager, personally I would just have kept Stanton and Cummings, so as you say, we are what we are, and we have to make the most of what funds are available to make sure we sign players that will only have a positive influence on the team in the long haul.

Stevie Reid
16-07-2014, 11:28 AM
I fancy us to finish top 6 this season.

Stevie Reid
16-07-2014, 11:37 AM
It's comments like this that make me optimistic for the future under Stubbs, who seems more and more like the anti-Butcher: -

The travelling support which made up the majority of the 2712 crowd in Fife saw a new-look Hibs side, with Stubbs opting for a 3-5-2 approach as all but three of the starting X1 played the full game. Stubbs explained: “When I was coaching at Everton we were flexible. I don’t want my team to be one dimensional playing the same system week in, week out.

“I want us to be able to play different styles, different systems. But it’s not systems that win you games, it’s the people on the pitch. No matter what system you play, it’s about getting results and if it means playing a different system from one game to the next and us winning I am prepared to do that.”

silverhibee
16-07-2014, 12:49 PM

Who are these jambos, i like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, i think the guy is a Hibby and is just a big bed wetter :greengrin.

But I'm not buying it was 99% Butchers fault, doesn't matter what tactics he told the players to play or if he told the whole defence to HOOF the ball up the park he wasn't telling the players to go out and lose all these games when the split took place, that was all down to the players on the park, when they weren't hoofing it Nelson and McGivern were just giving the ball away needlessly to the opposition players, infact the times they gave it away was when they were trying to find a green jersey with a simple 10 yard pass, they were just simply poor players and i will say now that Nelson will get found out in the championship for Hibs this season ahead, only seen the VOL friendly and he was never put under any pressure at all in that game and it was very easy for him to pass the ball about at the back, since then i have been a tad unwell and not seen the other games so can't judge but i seen enough from him last season to know he will struggle next season.imo

And was it Butchers fault that the losers on the pitch couldn't hold on to a 2-0 lead when we played the play-off game at Easter Road, the players take as much of the blame as Butcher does for our relegation and i still await an apology from players like Nelson & Craig and co for being relegated last season, but still nothing.

Dashing Bob S
16-07-2014, 12:53 PM

Yes, the Bundesliga is a tough shift.

silverhibee
16-07-2014, 01:18 PM

Did you see Calderwoods training, by all accounts the players really liked it and they never had any problems with him.

Not obvious to me, still no rush to get a keeper in.

Speedway
16-07-2014, 01:50 PM
I give up!!

How long have you been here TC?

Duffy era - 'Paulo Sergio is supposed to be signing. That Larusson will fire us into Europe.'

McLeish era - 'Unbelievable signings/WTF...GJP only signed Agathe on a 3 month deal!!!!!'

Sauzee era (after 124 straight defeats or whatever it was) 'He needs time'

Blobby era 'Townsley's a f*****g disgrace, I'll no be back'

Mogga era 'That's fitba'/we were 4-2 up, defending was pure theatre. FFS Zibi's got a new contract'

Collins era 'Ao'B is Ivan Sproule on a motorbike'

Mixu era 'F*****g fat finn clown, Mixup!'

Yogi era 'Aye fitba folk ken whit's goin oan expect you ya leef tube! GTF!'

Calderclown era 'Hello, is that The Samaritans?'

Fenlon era 'Can we buy anyone who's no f*****g Oirish?'

Butcher era 'YAAAASSSS The dream team is here'

Stubbs era 'Mid table finish with this team'

You'd struggle to find more roasters at a Toby Carvery, TC.

It was ever thus.

:not worth

Thecat23
16-07-2014, 01:53 PM

Duffy era - 'Paulo Sergio is supposed to be signing. That Larusson will fire us into Europe.'

McLeish era - 'Unbelievable signings/WTF...GJP only signed Agathe on a 3 month deal!!!!!'

Mogga era 'That's fitba'/we were 4-2 up, defending was pure theatre. FFS Zibi's got a new contract'

It was ever thus.

Haha that's just superb :D

SteveHFC
16-07-2014, 01:57 PM

It was ever thus.

:faf:

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2014, 02:06 PM

It was ever thus.

:greengrin