PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs The Player

HFC_NYC
11-07-2014, 11:37 PM
I honestly don't remember what sort of player Stubbs was. Was he a cultured center half of more of a brick *****house, no nonsense defender?

Onceinawhile
12-07-2014, 12:05 AM
I remember very little about him.

I've clapped two non hibs players.

1. Alan Stubbs coming back from cancer: I'm sure Celtic were playing in the bumblebee top and took a throw in they shouldn't have.
2. Henrik Larsson on his last game at ER. 4-0 Celtic and he scored two. Prick.

Summary: I have no opinion that is helpful to you

ekhibee
12-07-2014, 12:11 AM
I remember him scoring against us when I was in the Famous Five, it was the one when a Celtic player knocked the ball out of Brian Gunn's hands and it fell to Stubbs who tucked it away, think Celtic won 2-0 that day.

TRC
12-07-2014, 01:09 AM
Didvhe not also score a bullet header in about the 99th minute for them to win at 3-2 or 2-1 at easter road?

Lewis77
12-07-2014, 02:07 AM
I honestly don't remember what sort of player Stubbs was. Was he a cultured center half of more of a brick *****house, no nonsense defender?

He was a very traditional centre-half. Cultured is not a word I'd use in relation to how he played. He was just a no nonsense centre-half. He could also be brutal when he wanted. Meaning he wasn't afraid to get stuck in. He was nothing special, just a good traditional centre-half who could score the odd goal every now and then.

Pete
12-07-2014, 03:02 AM
He was a very traditional centre-half. Cultured is not a word I'd use in relation to how he played. He was just a no nonsense centre-half. He could also be brutal when he wanted. Meaning he wasn't afraid to get stuck in. He was nothing special, just a good traditional centre-half who could score the odd goal every now and then.

He was definitely "no nonsense" but he had a lot more to his game than that. He could pick a pass when he wanted to going by what I remember on the TV from his time in England, especially at Bolton and Everton.

I've only seen him live once and that was a cup game at Easter road in the mid nineties. He was playing with a guy called Mark Reiper and my abiding memory from that match is that central defensive pairing.
They were as big and imposing as the twin towers and they looked unruffled by anything we threw at them. Real quality, especially for the Scottish game.

GlenrothesHibee
12-07-2014, 06:17 AM
I remember one of his first games for Celtic at Easter Road. If I didn't know any better id have said big Shaun Dennis was the £5m centre back that day. He was immense.

Tom Hart RIP
12-07-2014, 09:16 AM
I think he was Celtics record signing when he joined them. Commanding centre half but decent passer. Dangerous when he came up for corners

IainA
12-07-2014, 09:42 AM
I remember very little about him.

I've clapped two non hibs players.

1. Alan Stubbs coming back from cancer: I'm sure Celtic were playing in the bumblebee top and took a throw in they shouldn't have.
2. Henrik Larsson on his last game at ER. 4-0 Celtic and he scored two. Prick.

Summary: I have no opinion that is helpful to you

i was there, in the Famous Five stand, when Stubbs came on as a Celtic sub on his come-back from cancer. The whole stadium applauded. Very emotional and good to see.

He thanked us by going up field and scoring against us!!!! Cheers for that Alan! 😠

Nutmegged
12-07-2014, 09:51 AM
He was more than just a no nonsense centre half, he had a great left peg on him, was destined for big things until he moved to Scotland, was expected to win a few caps for England, he struggled a lot during his first Season at Celtic and it wasn't until Celticz signed Marc Reiper to partner him that he finally looked like the player they spent £3.5m on

He was a good player

lord bunberry
12-07-2014, 10:01 AM
I remember when he first signed for Celtic he looked a bit of a cart horse, but when he found his stride he looked decent. I always remember him being dangerous at corners

3pm
12-07-2014, 11:10 AM
Ball playing centre half.

Him and McAteer used to get linked with everyone as a pair when they were at Bolton if i remember to right?

LancashireHibby
12-07-2014, 12:52 PM
Ball playing centre half.

Him and McAteer used to get linked with everyone as a pair when they were at Bolton if i remember to right?
Correct. Started from the minute we were promoted and Rioch went to Arsenal. They (Stubbs and McAteer) were interviewed on MOTD after an August win over champions Blackburn in which Stubbs scored the winning goal in a 2-1 win and asked about the transfer speculation, and had a big grin on their faces when answering "watch this space". McAteer went to Liverpool within a couple of weeks for £4.5m while Stubbs ending up having to stay for the full season before going to Celtic as the rumours of Blackburn and Liverpool bidding for him never materialised. Fair to say the whole episode left a bit of a sour taste, although he returned for John McGinlay's testimonial in 2000 without any issues from the fans.

For what it's worth, Stubbs initially started as something of an attacking midfielder if such a thing had existed in the early 90's before moving to centre back. Was always very keen to play the ball on the deck and play 'proper' football which certainly would have been something drilled in to him by Rioch.

heretoday
12-07-2014, 06:37 PM
A hardman.

Scouse Hibee
12-07-2014, 06:38 PM
Tough uncompromising could play a bit is my take on him.

NOLA
12-07-2014, 07:51 PM
wrong thread but stubbs wife was unsettled last time in scotland so is he up here on his todd?