PDA

View Full Version : Allan Hansen

theonlywayisup
11-07-2014, 10:18 PM
.......could have been a Hibs player. Turnbull wanted him, but Hansen wanted to play golf.

Mon Dieu4
11-07-2014, 10:19 PM
Just saw that, something I've never heard before

lord bunberry
11-07-2014, 10:20 PM
Why is it that guys like James Collins and Ryan Mcgivern never wanted to play golf.

CraigHibee
11-07-2014, 10:21 PM
just watching it as well, never knew that! some folk will do anything to try and avoid coming to us :greengrin

Gus
11-07-2014, 10:31 PM
I'm sure the ITK folk knew

Iceman1875
11-07-2014, 10:36 PM
His wife 😮 yowzer! 😍

At Easter Road we play...

Iceman1875
11-07-2014, 10:39 PM

😂👍

At Easter Road we play...

theonlywayisup
11-07-2014, 11:11 PM
Great programme. If you get a chance, you should watch it. He was a class player, though didn't do it enough for Scotland.

Stax
11-07-2014, 11:18 PM
Really good watch that. Cracking player :agree:.

TheFamous1875
11-07-2014, 11:29 PM
Spewing that we could've signed him back then!! Can someone who's of age tell me if Hibs would've definitely won the league and changed the face of Scottish football had Hansen been a Tornado?? From what I've seen of him and the footage tonight he looked some player!! All those trophies don't lie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

O'Rourke3
11-07-2014, 11:36 PM
Spewing that we could've signed him back then!! Can someone who's of age tell me if Hibs would've definitely won the league and changed the face of Scottish football had Hanson been a Tornado?? From what I've seen of him and the footage tonight he looked some player!! All those trophies don't lie

I doubt it. Never forgiven him for crashing into Willie Miller in the USSR game in Spain. Still p'd of with Kenny Dalglish for refusing to go to Mexico because Fergie dropped him from the squad too but that's beginning to get off topic....

over the line
11-07-2014, 11:44 PM
.......could have been a Hibs player. Turnbull wanted him, but Hansen wanted to play golf.

I've always said golf is a stupid frustrating game and here is further proof of it! Just imagine what might of been?!?! :mad:

Onceinawhile
12-07-2014, 12:01 AM
Only realised the programme was on about half way through.

Imagine winning 8 English Premier leagues, and not getting a game for Scotland!!! Oh to have that sort of choice now.

Kaff
12-07-2014, 01:38 AM
Only realised the programme was on about half way through.

Imagine winning 8 English Premier leagues, and not getting a game for Scotland!!! Oh to have that sort of choice now.

My memory tells me that he wasn't always available for Scotland, Ferguson not picking him for one tournament (and being a short term manager) does not explain why he has 26 caps yet Miller and McLeish have over 60 and 80 respectively (I think).
His best mate and team mate Dalglish has over 100 caps.

Pete
12-07-2014, 03:13 AM
My memory tells me that he wasn't always available for Scotland, Ferguson not picking him for one tournament (and being a short term manager) does not explain why he has 26 caps yet Miller and McLeish have over 60 and 80 respectively (I think).
His best mate and team mate Dalglish has over 100 caps.

Were Millar and McLeish not not chosen together because their partnership at Aberdeen was so successful?

It was probably the right decision to choose that pair on a regular basis due to their understanding and I'm not sure that playing Hansen plus one would have been any better given time.

HH81
12-07-2014, 04:35 AM

:greengrin

lapsedhibee
12-07-2014, 07:33 AM
Can someone who's of age tell me if Hibs would've definitely won the league and changed the face of Scottish football had Hansen been a Tornado??

Didn't see much of Hansen but saw plenty of John Blackley and was that position not where Hansen mostly played? If so Hansen for Blackley wouldn't have improved our chances at all because JB was top top quality.

Ray_
12-07-2014, 07:50 AM
Didn't see much of Hansen but saw plenty of John Blackley and was that position not where Hansen mostly played? If so Hansen for Blackley wouldn't have improved our chances at all because JB was top top quality.

It was 75/6 that Alan Hansen made the break through to become a regular in the Thistle side, which by this time the TT's were already well in decline, with at least five of them away. I did see him play for Partick at the end of 1974/start of 75, when he scored an OG in a 2-2 at ER, in the season prior to him becoming established.

Hansen also played a lot of his football at Liverpool with Phil Thompson and/or Mark Lawrenson, so there was no reason at all that he couldn't have played with Sloop, especially as I'm sure Hansen played on the left side of the defence & JB preferred to be on the right side.

theonlywayisup
12-07-2014, 08:02 AM
Were Millar and McLeish not not chosen together because their partnership at Aberdeen was so successful?

It was probably the right decision to choose that pair on a regular basis due to their understanding and I'm not sure that playing Hansen plus one would have been any better given time.

What we also need to remember is that Miller and McLeish were one of the top centre back pairing in Europe at the time, having won the Cup Winners Cup plus regularly beating the top teams in Europe. It's not like Hansen was dropped for a 'Caldwell' or a 'Berra' or the current centre backs, who I can't even think of who they are.

I have said before that the standard of Scottish centre backs is nothing like what we had in the 70s and 80s.

weecounty hibby
12-07-2014, 08:23 AM
I still find it hard to believe that he was overlooked for miller and mcliesh. Far better footballer than any of those two. Imho he should have played along side either of them. They were old style CHs and AH was more of a continental style player. Just shows how backward we can be at times in Scotland in our footballing outlook. He was playinf for the best club side in world football at the time but we passed him over just cos miller and mcliesh played together

Tom Hart RIP
12-07-2014, 08:49 AM

Agree 100% sloop was best defender I have ever seen

KdyHby
12-07-2014, 08:53 AM
.......could have been a Hibs player.

As could Billy Bremner.

Scouse Hibee
12-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Alan "Jockey" Hansen was a legend for Liverpool, if he had made the move to Hibs his career might have taken a different path and he might never have arrived at Liverpool, depriving me of the pleasure of watching his masterful performances so for that reason I'm glad it never happened.

Puddocky
12-07-2014, 10:32 AM
I still find it hard to believe that he was overlooked for miller and mcliesh. Far better footballer than any of those two. Imho he should have played along side either of them. They were old style CHs and AH was more of a continental style player. Just shows how backward we can be at times in Scotland in our footballing outlook. He was playinf for the best club side in world football at the time but we passed him over just cos miller and mcliesh played together

Sorry, have to disagree with that assessment. Hansen got 26 caps spread over a period of time because successive Scotland managers found out the hard way that the way he played in the National Side bore no relation to his club form. He wasn't just a bit below his best, he was like a different player. The qualities he showed at Liverpool - vision and composure - were the first to go when he pulled on the dark blue. What you were left with was Hansen as a last-ditch defender, at which McLeish and Miller were far better.
Might have been different if Scotland could pick the Liverpool midfield to play in in front of him, but we couldn't could we?

lord bunberry
12-07-2014, 12:58 PM
It also shouldn't be forgotten that Scotland had a fantastic team at that time full of world class players, we underachieved big time.

Deansy
12-07-2014, 05:59 PM
Good player but p*ss-poor football pundit.

EdinMike
12-07-2014, 06:09 PM
Good player but p*ss-poor football pundit.

I actually can't stand the guy so I am DELIGHTED !! :thumbsup:

Lago
13-07-2014, 03:16 PM

The year John Brownlie broke his leg against East Fife was probably the best chance they had of winning the leaque.

Tom Hart RIP
13-07-2014, 05:58 PM
The year John Brownlie broke his leg against East Fife was probably the best chance they had of winning the leaque.

And the European cup winners cup. 4-1 up at home before Hadjuk split scored a late goal then best us 3-0 over there

Iggy Pope
13-07-2014, 06:00 PM
And the European cup winners cup. 4-1 up at home before Hadjuk split scored a late goal then best us 3-0 over there

(cough) 4-2 at home.

Jonnyboy
13-07-2014, 06:01 PM
I've never really taken to Hansen but having watched that programme I found him interesting, humble and a downright good egg :aok:

Ray_
13-07-2014, 06:02 PM

It was 4-2 in the first leg, but we were 4-0 up at one stage.

Lago
13-07-2014, 06:11 PM

Oh happy days, don't think they will ever return. Feel sorry for todays supporters, at least I saw Hibs when they competed with the best in Europe.

Jonnyboy
13-07-2014, 06:12 PM
Oh happy days, don't think they will ever return. Feel sorry for todays supporters, at least I saw Hibs when they competed with the best in Europe.

One of the few things that makes me think it's not so bad being an old codger :agree:

Lago
13-07-2014, 06:25 PM
Jonnyboy;4095768]One of the few things that makes me think it's not so bad being an old codger :agree:[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on that, I bore the pants off people talking about those days.

TheFamous1875
13-07-2014, 06:36 PM
Jonnyboy;4095768]One of the few things that makes me think it's not so bad being an old codger :agree:

I'm with you on that, I bore the pants off people talking about those days.[/QUOTE]

I'll just spew for an eternity that my dad, my cousins and my uncles saw the Tornadoes, and my grandad and my dad saw the Famous Five. Greeted into my Hibs books since I was a boy, so I have!

Tom Hart RIP
13-07-2014, 06:41 PM

Sorry Ray but your memories playing tricks.

We went 2-0 up but they scored near the end of first half and it was 2-1 at half time.

We then went 4-1 up and were looking for more when they got last minute goal.

Iggy Pope
13-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Sorry Ray but your memories playing tricks.

We went 2-0 up but they scored near the end of first half and it was 2-1 at half time.

We then went 4-1 up and were looking for more when they got last minute goal.

Definitely 4-2 at home.

Tom Hart RIP
13-07-2014, 06:46 PM
Definitely 4-2 at home.

Agreed their last minute goal made it 4-2. Hibs were magnificent that night and it was our attacking style they cost us in the end.

Tom Hart RIP
13-07-2014, 07:00 PM
I seem to remember that we wore an all green jersey that night or is my memory playing tricks.

Ray_
13-07-2014, 07:13 PM
I seem to remember that we wore an all green jersey that night or is my memory playing tricks.

Yes it was all green & the away strip for the Sporting game was the first time we played in purple.

Lago
13-07-2014, 07:21 PM
I'm with you on that, I bore the pants off people talking about those days.

I'll just spew for an eternity that my dad, my cousins and my uncles saw the Tornadoes, and my grandad and my dad saw the Famous Five. Greeted into my Hibs books since I was a boy, so I have!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD[/QUOTE]

To be honest I would say we didn't really appreciate what we were watching until it had all finished and then we just wished it had never ended. Happy days.

jdships
13-07-2014, 09:09 PM
Worth noting too that he was a first class golfer playing off . at least, "2" at one time
I played with him in a Pro-Am at Buchanan Castle GC in 1974 where he was the "Category One" amateur ( A pro and three amateurs)
Great guy and the fact he hated losing came over early in the round !!

:agree:

stu in nottingham
13-07-2014, 09:12 PM
I've never really taken to Hansen but having watched that programme I found him interesting, humble and a downright good egg :aok:

Had much the same feeling, John. He was a class act indeed on the pitch but I always felt him (wrongly) a little smug as a pundit. He came over very well. Great to see Liverpool's great Scots together.

Jonnyboy
13-07-2014, 09:57 PM
Had much the same feeling, John. He was a class act indeed on the pitch but I always felt him (wrongly) a little smug as a pundit. He came over very well. Great to see Liverpool's great Scots together.

:agree: