PDA

View Full Version : Chopper

southsider
11-07-2014, 12:12 PM
Barca have reportedly signed Suarez for a cool 75 mill. Now watch his ban get reduced. Is his "ban from training" not restraint of trade ?

Phil D. Rolls
11-07-2014, 12:14 PM
Barca have reportedly signed Suarez for a cool 75 mill. Now watch his ban get reduced. Is his "ban from training" not restraint of trade ?

Good bit of business for Liverpool, seeing as he was never going to play in England again.

J-C
11-07-2014, 12:16 PM

Says all contact with the game except any form of transfer dealings, still think it's poor how club teams get hit when he did it on international football.

MWHIBBIES
11-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Ban appeal was refused yesterday.

Arsenal are the real winners here IMO, Sanchez is s brilliant player.

easty
11-07-2014, 01:01 PM
still think it's poor how club teams get hit when he did it on international football.

I don't. It wasn't Uruguay's fault anymore than it was Liverpool or Barcelona's. The idiot deserves to be banned, his club side should be allowed to refuse to pay him while hes suspended in my opinion.

J-C
11-07-2014, 01:12 PM
I don't. It wasn't Uruguay's fault anymore than it was Liverpool or Barcelona's. The idiot deserves to be banned, his club side should be allowed to refuse to pay him while hes suspended in my opinion.

I doesn't work the other way round though, if he's banned in domestic football, he can still play internationals.

Keith_M
11-07-2014, 01:17 PM
I thought Barcelona were still under a Signing Ban.

:confused:

WestEndHibee
11-07-2014, 01:23 PM

It's not just scottish football that hands out false punishments. AFAIK it's on hold pending an appeal so they can buy and sell whomever they wish so as to have a nicely updated squad when/if the ban comes into play.

Disclaimer: the above could be cynical trash (the last I heard about it it was put on hold)

easty
11-07-2014, 01:54 PM
I doesn't work the other way round though, if he's banned in domestic football, he can still play internationals.

Thats true I suppose.

Winston Ingram
11-07-2014, 03:58 PM

I doubt it's £75m. It'll be €75m.

I noticed in Liverpool's statement there was no mention of a fee or the latest biting incident.

IMO he was leaving the moment he signed his new deal as that would have clarified the buyout clause.

jacomo
11-07-2014, 04:14 PM

They've got round that somehow, as has Suarez re: his training ban.

I think Liverpool have done a good bit of business here, although Rodgers' signings so far at Liverpool have been a bit mixed. They need a quality replacement.

SMAXXA
11-07-2014, 04:21 PM
Isn't it CHOMPER?

DC_Hibs
11-07-2014, 04:23 PM
Isn't it CHOMPER?

Never heard of Chopper Suarris?

bob12345
11-07-2014, 04:25 PM
Thats true I suppose.

No it's not. When something merits a 'global ban', it doesn't matter if it happens for club or country.

See this example: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/middlesbrough/4181776.stm

More recently, they were talking about Anelka getting it.

Lewis77
11-07-2014, 05:35 PM
Isn't it CHOMPER?

Isn't it racist beaver?

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-07-2014, 05:45 PM
We have had a whole squad kept away from any kind of football in 2014. Don't see the hooh-hah about one player for a few months.

NAE NOOKIE
11-07-2014, 05:55 PM
Barcelona avoid tax like a Hibs CH avoids crosses, so stumping up 75 million shouldn't be a problem. In fact the failure to pay tax by Spanish clubs with tacit government approval is so massive it would put the Yams and Current Buns to shame.

Sir David Gray
11-07-2014, 05:56 PM
I doubt it's £75m. It'll be €75m.

I noticed in Liverpool's statement there was no mention of a fee or the latest biting incident.

IMO he was leaving the moment he signed his new deal as that would have clarified the buyout clause.

It's £75 million.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28180600

emerald green
11-07-2014, 06:15 PM
Leaving aside the biting and racial abuse, does anyone else think football at this level has gone completely mad, i.e. £75 million for a footballers signature, plus however many additional millions in wages?

I think I heard that unemployment, especially amongst young people in Spain, is well over 25%.

Gatecrasher
11-07-2014, 06:22 PM
Leaving aside the biting and racial abuse, does anyone else think football at this level has gone completely mad, i.e. £75 million for a footballers signature, plus however many additional millions in wages?

I think I heard that unemployment, especially amongst young people in Spain, is well over 25%.
For the top guys I can kinda see why, whilst excessive there's not many people in the world that can do what they do. What annoys me is the average players earning £40,000+ and a lot of these types of players aren't much better than SPL standard, a dime a dozen.

EdinMike
11-07-2014, 10:36 PM
Ban appeal was refused yesterday.

Arsenal are the real winners here IMO, Sanchez is s brilliant player.

If they can nab Khedira too ! Woooooft

Pete
12-07-2014, 03:44 AM
For the top guys I can kinda see why, whilst excessive there's not many people in the world that can do what they do. What annoys me is the average players earning £40,000+ and a lot of these types of players aren't much better than SPL standard, a dime a dozen.

I don't really think that's true any more when it comes to the English game (your second point). The premier league is for the global elite and that goes for the middle of the road teams and relegation fodder as well as the champions league contenders. Average players simply won't cut it any more and anyone at premiership or even the championship is probably well above SPFL premiership standard.

I agree that the top money for the top guys does sound mad on the face of it but there is now definitely a market and global audience that justifies it. Top movie stars get millions per film and I reckon football is a bigger business than the one they are in. The whole world loves football and I'm sick of seeing footballers faces on Pepsi bottles, razor ads etc..if anything, there's an argument to say that the starts are only now starting to get what they deserve.

I don't agree with that principle though. I'd go the other way and say that football would be healthier if the money from the game was divided up on a more even basis around the worlds professional clubs. These superstars won't starve, and the money would be better used to enhance youth development at clubs like ours and others who suffer from fans deserting them for TV teams. If football turns into a sport where only eight or so teams are all-powerful who are powered by people from all over the world who refer to them as "we"', then the game will eventually die.

J-C
12-07-2014, 06:34 AM

Not just football, look at US football/baseball/basketball, the top players get paid huge amounts of money, the thing they really don't have much of over there is transfer fees, contracts tend to run down or they get traded to another club for draft picks etc.

Gatecrasher
12-07-2014, 07:44 AM
I don't really think that's true any more when it comes to the English game (your second point). The premier league is for the global elite and that goes for the middle of the road teams and relegation fodder as well as the champions league contenders. Average players simply won't cut it any more and anyone at premiership or even the championship is probably well above SPFL premiership standard.

I agree that the top money for the top guys does sound mad on the face of it but there is now definitely a market and global audience that justifies it. Top movie stars get millions per film and I reckon football is a bigger business than the one they are in. The whole world loves football and I'm sick of seeing footballers faces on Pepsi bottles, razor ads etc..if anything, there's an argument to say that the starts are only now starting to get what they deserve.

I don't agree with that principle though. I'd go the other way and say that football would be healthier if the money from the game was divided up on a more even basis around the worlds professional clubs. These superstars won't starve, and the money would be better used to enhance youth development at clubs like ours and others who suffer from fans deserting them for TV teams. If football turns into a sport where only eight or so teams are all-powerful who are powered by people from all over the world who refer to them as "we"', then the game will eventually die.
yeah I actually agree with what you say but it just sticks with me when you hear about the likes of samba on £100k per week kind of sticks with you.

Scouse Hibee
12-07-2014, 10:19 AM
I was extremely disappointed with the statement issued by Liverpool (Rodgers) regarding his sale, it should have stated,

"Liverpool Football Club are finally glad to see the back of Luis Suarez, despite his reassurances following his previous despicable behavior he has once again disgraced himself and by association this great club. The club now acknowledges that a serious error of judgement was made in standing by this cretin in the first instance. Our stance made a complete mockery of the statement that no one player is bigger than this club. We would like to formally wish him goodbye and good riddance".

J-C
12-07-2014, 10:38 AM
I was extremely disappointed with the statement issued by Liverpool (Rodgers) regarding his sale, it should have stated,

"Liverpool Football Club are finally glad to see the back of Luis Suarez, despite his reassurances following his previous despicable behavior he has once again disgraced himself and by association this great club. The club now acknowledges that a serious error of judgement was made in standing by this cretin in the first instance. Our stance made a complete mockery of the statement that no one player is bigger than this club. We would like to formally wish him goodbye and good riddance".

I think they helped him all they could, he helped to get the into european championships and they get £75m for him, I don't think they expected to get another season from him.

Auckland Hibs
12-07-2014, 10:44 AM
It's £75 million.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28180600

Did he ask for the transfer to Barca?

Don't most transfer fees usually end up with 10-20% going to the player if they haven't requested a move? He could end up with 7.5-15m which would be a disgrace IMO

emerald green
12-07-2014, 11:12 AM

:agree: Agree with this point.