PDA

View Full Version : Taiwo on Butcher

Groathillgrump
11-07-2014, 09:46 AM
Butcher thought all the players "were poor".

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/tom-taiwo-butcher-didn-t-believe-in-me-at-hibs-1-3473670

The_Exile
11-07-2014, 09:51 AM
One of the players I actually felt sorry for through the whole mess. Tom came across as an honest, hard working pro who just wanted to play and win games. To hear he felt like that whilst at Hibs is pretty sad to be honest. All the best to him at Falkir, except when playing us obviously! :greengrin

oneone73
11-07-2014, 09:57 AM
One of the players I actually felt sorry for through the whole mess. Tom came across as an honest, hard working pro who just wanted to play and win games. To hear he felt like that whilst at Hibs is pretty sad to be honest. All the best to him at Falkir, except when playing us obviously! :greengrin

This.

Tom Hart RIP
11-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Not taking sides but during the Inverness game when TB was in stand before he started an incident happens which I suspect made up his mind.
TT was injured during a tackle and ref played advantage. Hibs were attacking but when TT didn't get up he blew his whistle. The ref then ran to where TT was and he got up without the trainer having to come on.
I was in west upper not far from TB and saw him speak to Jim mcarthur. I said to my mate TT won't be here long.
Having said that I have met TT several times at charity events and found him to be polite and enthusiastic about the club. I wish him well at Falkirk and apart from that one incident I always thought he gave 100percent.
A similar incident happened during the run in when Michael Nelson suffered a bad facial knock but when he saw that we were attacking he got up. We lost the ball and he was forced to challenge for two headers before he could get treatment.
Just an observation

Stevie Reid
11-07-2014, 10:05 AM
Was singled out for praise by Butcher, along with Sam Stanton after the two of them played well in the centre of midfield in consecutive games against Killie away (1-1) and Ross County at home (2-1, they both scored) when Liam Craig was suspended - the last time we played any semi decent stuff under Butcher. What does he do for the next game? Brings Craig back in, changes formation, and Dundee Utd destroy us at ER.

Taiwo could have had a part to play this season, no doubt. Our best stuff under Fenlon was played with him alongside Claros.

Tom Hart RIP
11-07-2014, 10:12 AM
I got to know TB during his stay and spoke to him after the 3-1 home defeat to Aberdeen.
I asked what he thought about the game and his exact words were 'thank ****** I don't have to face Aberdeen again with this set of players'
I think TT is correct that TB didn't rate the players.
The players certainly didn't rate TB so it's probably best all round that we have parted company.

J-C
11-07-2014, 10:20 AM
I got to know TB during his stay and spoke to him after the 3-1 home defeat to Aberdeen.
I asked what he thought about the game and his exact words were 'thank ****** I don't have to face Aberdeen again with this set of players'
The players certainly didn't rate TB so it's probably best all round that we have parted company.

A sad state of affairs which was echoed by many people on here and the PM board, it wasn't just a handful of players Butcher alienated, it was indeed the whole squad, so no surprise they downed tools for him.

Argylehibby
11-07-2014, 11:04 AM
I asked what he thought about the game and his exact words were 'thank ****** I don't have to face Aberdeen again with this set of players'I think TT is correct that TB didn't rate the players.

Not exactly professional is it? I wonder how many similar comments were made to others and how many of those made their way back to the players? Butcher took a club going nowhere and drove it over the edge of a cliff.

Lester B
11-07-2014, 11:14 AM

And thank ****** we don't have to face anyone again with that useless oaf and his sweary wee stupid sidekick as our set of coaches.

Groathillgrump
11-07-2014, 11:22 AM
A sad state of affairs which was echoed by many people on here and the PM board, it wasn't just a handful of players Butcher alienated, it was indeed the whole squad, so no surprise they downed tools for him.

Regardless of what the players thought about Butcher, or what Butcher thought about the players, no professional footballer should down tools. Ultimately a combination of this downing of tools and Butcher's awful hoofball tactics conspired to get us relegated. Last season's players and management team(s) are all culpable and I just hope they can sleep at night when they look at the state they've left us in.

Onwards and upwards though. Let's hope for a brighter future under Alan Stubbs. :aok:

Carheenlea
11-07-2014, 11:35 AM

If you see him again tell him thank **** we don't have to face Aberdeen again with him in charge.

NorthNorfolkHFC
11-07-2014, 11:36 AM
As much as I'm growing to dislike butcher and the way he worked he's not far wrong with what he said.

"Most of the players in the dressing room were poor"

Seems pretty accurate to me!!

"Kommen sie bitte und listen to Kraftwerk!"

blackpoolhibs
11-07-2014, 11:38 AM
I don't buy into the players downing tools, he never played the same side twice, he made 4 5 maybe even 6 changes at a time, and none of them had the slightest chance of getting any kind of consistency going. Yes it was a poor squad, but it was one that was holding its own, and was heading for another underachieving season in the bottom six.

Well done Terry ****in Butcher for relegating them, 100% down to that man.

Big_Franck
11-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Not surprised by the story to be honest. Sad state of affairs that has led us to where we are now.

Good luck to Taiwo, he always gave 100%. I thought he was good at the start of his time with us, but his form dipped towards the end of last season as it did with so many others.

Always thought he was decent defensively and was always very committed and competitive, unfortunately he is very limited when in possession of the ball. Quite an important quality to have as a central midfielder!

Anyway, good luck Tom, I hope you do well against every other team in the league bar us.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-07-2014, 11:56 AM
Considering what he had going for him up at Inverness, I am really struggling to work out why Butcher wanted to leave and come to Hibs. If he kept things ticking along in the Highlands, then would have ended up as club president or even owner. He must have had a fair idea of the squad that he was inheriting.

J-C
11-07-2014, 12:19 PM
I don't buy into the players downing tools, he never played the same side twice, he made 4 5 maybe even 6 changes at a time, and none of them had the slightest chance of getting any kind of consistency going. Yes it was a poor squad, but it was one that was holding its own, and was heading for another underachieving season in the bottom six.

Probably downed tools aint the right way to say it but definitely motivation was a huge problem since January, hard to work somewhere wer you hate the boss and his assistant that much and the feeling seemed mutual, the thing I noted was he pretty much dismissed every single player at the club.

ekhibee
11-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Considering what he had going for him up at Inverness, I am really struggling to work out why Butcher wanted to leave and come to Hibs. If he kept things ticking along in the Highlands, then would have ended up as club president or even owner. He must have had a fair idea of the squad that he was inheriting.
Good points there, but certain individuals on here made it very clear he was an abject failure at every club he was at, and that he was just lucky at Inverness. Butcher's biggest mistake was telling the players exactly what he thought of them, basically just agreeing with loads of people on here who were consistently going on about how crap they were. When results started to turn against us, and the 'it's all Butcher's fault' type threads started growing arms and legs, loads of them backtracked and started making out that the players weren't that bad really, it was Butcher's incompetence and poor management skills; just basically jumping on the bandwagon. The ones who'd never wanted him here in the first place then had a platform upon which to build. Butcher is a long, long way from being blameless having said that. Although I totally disagreed with Blackpool Hibs, at least he had the honesty to stick to his point of view. But the ones that just wait to see which way the wind's blowing, they can GTF.

macd123
11-07-2014, 01:31 PM

Agreed blackpool. There was no downing tools. Butcher made the absolute worst use of the group we had. 40 yard balls from nelson to guys like heffernan and harris repeated over and over. The worst football and least effective ever seen at easter road.

TRC
11-07-2014, 01:36 PM
Anyone else think its weired that three stories hit the papers at the same time.

Deansy
11-07-2014, 01:39 PM
Taiwo basically confirming that the players considered their hurt-feelings were far more important than the club - I honestly think that our relegation was their way of saying GIRFUY to him !!. Of course Butcher was at fault too, but how/why is it we seem to have this knack of signing players who, apart from turning out gash, end up 'unhappy/dispirited' with whoever's manager ?. Ever since 'Collins-gate', I don't think there's been a season without the rumours of troubles in the dressing-room or 'Player-power' happening ??. I'd see the point if these players were arriving with sackfuls of 'Champs-League Winners' medals but they're not - in fact, it'd be interesting to know how many of our players have got winners-medals for ANY meaningful achievement ??.

Northernhibee
11-07-2014, 01:39 PM
Taiwo was a good player. TB systematically destroyed our team with tactics and training 40 years out of date. I'd say Tom was being showing great restraint because if I'd been on the wrong end of the management of that clown I'd be furious.

Stevie Reid
11-07-2014, 02:09 PM
Taiwo basically confirming that the players considered their hurt-feelings were far more important than the club - I honestly think that our relegation was their way of saying GIRFUY to him !!. Of course Butcher was at fault too, but how/why is it we seem to have this knack of signing players who, apart from turning out gash, end up 'unhappy/dispirited' with whoever's manager ?. Ever since 'Collins-gate', I don't think there's been a season without the rumours of troubles in the dressing-room or 'Player-power' happening ??. I'd see the point if these players were arriving with sackfuls of 'Champs-League Winners' medals but they're not - in fact, it'd be interesting to know how many of our players have got winners-medals for ANY meaningful achievement ??.

Here is Taiwo's quote from the paper: -

It’s nice to play where you feel wanted. The boss (Houston) said he was desperate to sign me , which is a great feeling. Not what I was used to at Hibs.
“We knew the manager thought we were all poor from day one. He said publicly we were surplus to requirements and that he’d get new players in.
“Terry and Maurice Malpas didn’t believe in me when they first came in, then they said they needed me and I’d done well.”

Nothing like what you are making out. Taiwo is obviously implying that you'll get more out of players by not publicly slating them - hardly a startling comment, really.

As for your second point - it's ridiculous to suggest that our players would actively try and get adverse results for their club to get back at a manager.

TheFamous1875
11-07-2014, 02:20 PM
Tom is a good player, good enough to still be here if it weren't for Butcher emptying him and his contract being finished.

Terry Butcher did very well at Inverness as they were a small team with little expectations or pressure and he was able to have complete control over the club and they'd accept it regardless of results. He did very, very well with them and should have never've left them. All the other clubs he's been at he's been a failure, and in the first 6 months he's been got shot of, or they've been relegated. Only Inverness and Motherwell who persevered with him after relegation. Hibs are too big a club to accept that kind of approach, with too much pressure and demand for results and he predictably showed his form at the helm of the biggest club he's managed.

His managerial approach and training methods are incredibly out of date and out of touch. They were successful at Inverness because over the years he had the club acclimatise to his draconian approach and it was the norm and players just had to take it on board.

The Hibs squad, who were all used to Fenlon's more tolerant approach, understandably balked at Butcher's iron fist approach, and this led to where we are today.

There's professional pride, and then there's "**** working for this ********". I think he turned all the players against him because he selfishly compared him to the superior squad he'd built at Inverness that hung on his every word.

Instead of making the best of what he had at hand (which is what I think Stubbs is doing) he felt hard done by and demotivated them and berated them and made everything worse through his sheer pig-headedness.

It's mostly Butcher's fault we got relegated, Pat Fenlon's fault for assembling such a problem-ridden, one-dimensional squad where it was inevitable they would have problems and no plan B.

And, overall, the club's malaise is directly the fault of the man who sold all of our star players and never replaced them, penny-pinched in all quarters of our club and did not run his business properly and happily settled for a mediocrity which was completely at lengths with the majority of the fans' aspirations and expectations.

After the League Cup win, we could've went from strength to strength and been a challenging figure in Scottish football if we had invested our money properly. Instead, we're still feeling the effects of the decisions of that time and we're a recently relegated club starting from scratch after years of mediocrity that turned into more years of abject failure.

So, to summarise, it's Terry Butcher's fault we got relegated, Pat Fenlon's fault we were ***** and Rod Petrie's fault we're not the great club we have such a high potential of being and have fallen so short of where we should be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

lord bunberry
11-07-2014, 02:28 PM
He was a decent enough player that Butcher failed to get the best out of. I'm I sorry he's leaving? No

ekhibee
11-07-2014, 03:09 PM
Tom is a good player, good enough to still be here if it weren't for Butcher emptying him and his contract being finished.

Terry Butcher did very well at Inverness as they were a small team with little expectations or pressure and he was able to have complete control over the club and they'd accept it regardless of results. He did very, very well with them and should have never've left them. All the other clubs he's been at he's been a failure, and in the first 6 months he's been got shot of, or they've been relegated. Only Inverness and Motherwell who persevered with him after relegation. Hibs are too big a club to accept that kind of approach, with too much pressure and demand for results and he predictably showed his form at the helm of the biggest club he's managed.

His managerial approach and training methods are incredibly out of date and out of touch. They were successful at Inverness because over the years he had the club acclimatise to his draconian approach and it was the norm and players just had to take it on board.

The Hibs squad, who were all used to Fenlon's more tolerant approach, understandably balked at Butcher's iron fist approach, and this led to where we are today.

There's professional pride, and then there's "**** working for this ********". I think he turned all the players against him because he selfishly compared him to the superior squad he'd built at Inverness that hung on his every word.

Instead of making the best of what he had at hand (which is what I think Stubbs is doing) he felt hard done by and demotivated them and berated them and made everything worse through his sheer pig-headedness.

It's mostly Butcher's fault we got relegated, Pat Fenlon's fault for assembling such a problem-ridden, one-dimensional squad where it was inevitable they would have problems and no plan B.

And, overall, the club's malaise is directly the fault of the man who sold all of our star players and never replaced them, penny-pinched in all quarters of our club and did not run his business properly and happily settled for a mediocrity which was completely at lengths with the majority of the fans' aspirations and expectations.

After the League Cup win, we could've went from strength to strength and been a challenging figure in Scottish football if we had invested our money properly. Instead, we're still feeling the effects of the decisions of that time and we're a recently relegated club starting from scratch after years of mediocrity that turned into more years of abject failure.

So, to summarise, it's Terry Butcher's fault we got relegated, Pat Fenlon's fault we were ***** and Rod Petrie's fault we're not the great club we have such a high potential of being and have fallen so short of where we should be.

Excellent post! :top marks

weonlywon6-2
11-07-2014, 03:14 PM
Terry butcher wasnt far wrong in saying that the players were poor,its what a lot of us had said on bere for a while,however ,saying that to players during a season was a huge mistake as we now all know

ekhibee
11-07-2014, 04:01 PM
Terry butcher wasnt far wrong in saying that the players were poor,its what a lot of us had said on bere for a while,however ,saying that to players during a season was a huge mistake as we now all know
yep, agreed.

Beefster
11-07-2014, 05:21 PM
One of the players who got us relegated gives a sob story interview in the paper and we get lots of folk absolving him of any blame. Poor wee Tom, let's ignore the fact he was just as pish as anyone else.

"I didn't get enough love at Hibs". Boo ****ing hoo.

Turkish Green
11-07-2014, 05:35 PM
It was all that big horrible nasty Butcher's fault. It wasn't us, honest. He made us lose games.

I am waiting for McGivern to be next with his sob story.

It seems that anything anti-Butcher is lapped up on here.

emerald green
11-07-2014, 06:07 PM
From what some ex-players are being quoted as saying, the atmosphere and morale in that Hibs dressing room must have been at rock bottom.

Although some of the players Butcher inherited were hardly top class, Tom Taiwo being a good example, I don't think if they had been properly organised, and motivated, they were surely good enough to have at least avoided a total collapse, and ultimately relegation.

That failure is down to Butcher. A clown, who talks a good game.

majorhibs
11-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Good points there, but certain individuals on here made it very clear he was an abject failure at every club he was at, and that he was just lucky at Inverness. Butcher's biggest mistake was telling the players exactly what he thought of them, basically just agreeing with loads of people on here who were consistently going on about how crap they were. When results started to turn against us, and the 'it's all Butcher's fault' type threads started growing arms and legs, loads of them backtracked and started making out that the players weren't that bad really, it was Butcher's incompetence and poor management skills; just basically jumping on the bandwagon. The ones who'd never wanted him here in the first place then had a platform upon which to build. Butcher is a long, long way from being blameless having said that. Although I totally disagreed with Blackpool Hibs, at least he had the honesty to stick to his point of view. But the ones that just wait to see which way the wind's blowing, they can GTF.

What a laughable post. Amazing theory really. Threads on here, oaf of a manager agreeing, threads on here, bandwagons & platforms being built, but at least the oaf & oafs assistant honestly stuck to their point of view. Straight into the 1st division. Anybody didn't like it they were obv. fickle, eh? You'll be another of these 'but "we" all wanted him here' types? "We" all didn't want him here. He was pretty useless at a few places & a few of us took notice. Just because the appointment wasn't protested does NOT mean "we " all wanted him. Blackpool is 100% right. That buffoon & his buffoon assistant were 100% to blame for relegation. Petrie 100% for appointing the buffoons.

James70
11-07-2014, 07:53 PM
What I don't get is that despite Butcher's opinions about the players he inherited his loan signings were barely getting a game and when they did they were no better than the existing squad.

I don't think that Hibs put enough thought into his appointment and just thought he would be able to instantly get the sort of results he was getting at Inverness. Hibs basically gave the fans the manager they wanted without doing too much research into how he operated. He is now sitting back laughing all the way to the bank. I really think he saw Hibs as a no lose situation as far as he was concerned. Do well and he will get all the plaudits, do badly and get the sack and a nice retirement with appearances on tv as an "expert" pundit.

Borderhibbie76
11-07-2014, 08:02 PM
From what some ex-players are being quoted as saying, the atmosphere and morale in that Hibs dressing room must have been at rock bottom.

Although some of the players Butcher inherited were hardly top class, Tom Taiwo being a good example, I don't think if they had been properly organised, and motivated, they were surely good enough to have at least avoided a total collapse, and ultimately relegation.

That failure is down to Butcher. A clown, who talks a good game.
Agree mate...no wonder we were so bad last season...Butcher didnt even talk a good game he was just a weegie media favourite. ..they lapped up his every word!! Utter clown him and Malpas!

Hibbyradge
11-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Non story. Again.

Hiber-nation
11-07-2014, 08:55 PM
Non story. Again.

:agree:

33 posts about absolutely nowt. I'm not too worried about the lack of signings but it would be nice to get a few in just to stop all these long threads about nothing of note.

rcarter1
11-07-2014, 08:55 PM

Crackin post, and spot on. :top marks

edwards
11-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Regardless of what the players thought about Butcher, or what Butcher thought about the players, no professional footballer should down tools. Ultimately a combination of this downing of tools and Butcher's awful hoofball tactics conspired to get us relegated. Last season's players and management team(s) are all culpable and I just hope they can sleep at night when they look at the state they've left us in.

Onwards and upwards though. Let's hope for a brighter future under Alan Stubbs. :aok:

Totaly agree groathill Taiwo wasn't the best player in the team by far. To many players as well as Butcher and Malpas put us in this position, poor wee soles but quite prepared to put all the blame on Butchers shoulders.

rcarter1
11-07-2014, 09:37 PM
Totaly agree groathill Taiwo wasn't the best player in the team by far. To many players as well as Butcher and Malpas put us in this position, poor wee soles but quite prepared to put all the blame on Butchers shoulders.

One day we will have a manager that is able to put together a team with all the different qualities required for success. Taiwo for me was good at what he did, but needed faster more forward thinking players in the side to complement his steady defensive work. I was really excited by Butchers arrival, but I don't think anyone could have done a worse job than he did. Players are just folk paid to play football. If they are treated like rubbish by their boss, they won't pull together. Instilling confidence and getting the best of what they have is the managers job. For the record, and just to get it out my system: Terry Butcher is a complete …. ***************************** of a football manager.

wookie70
11-07-2014, 09:51 PM
From what I remember Butcher was pleasantly surprised about the quality of the squad shortly after he took over and at the start of the unbeaten run. Those players then went on to play reasonably well for a few weeks before the complete collapse started. He changed his tune then and stories emerged of him not rating players etc. Butcher to me says what he thinks will make him look better. He was a disgraceful manager who failed in all aspects of his job. Unfortunately, now everyone knows he is a charlatan and he has become practically unemployable much to our cost. He is a typical example in today's society of those at the top who are rewarded for failure.

majorhibs
11-07-2014, 10:26 PM
From what I remember Butcher was pleasantly surprised about the quality of the squad shortly after he took over and at the start of the unbeaten run. Those players then went on to play reasonably well for a few weeks before the complete collapse started. He changed his tune then and stories emerged of him not rating players etc. Butcher to me says what he thinks will make him look better. He was a disgraceful manager who failed in all aspects of his job. Unfortunately, now everyone knows he is a charlatan and he has become practically unemployable much to our cost. He is a typical example in today's society of those at the top who are rewarded for failure.

Butcher likely knew he & malpas were clueless but he was getting away with it, tell them what they want to hear & keep paying me the big money! He was never looked at by English teams in recent years despite his playing past there club & international. But Petrie & a few still on here think he was some sort of manager? Charlatan, imposter, IMO they all work, sadly the muppet got us relegated from a position that was VERY difficult to even contemplate relegation from. Just wish the bookies that these 2 frequented could have been under some sort of scrutiny beforehand, that's how difficult a job I think they had on their hands to put Hibs down. But they managed it!

lord bunberry
11-07-2014, 11:30 PM
Butcher likely knew he & malpas were clueless but he was getting away with it, tell them what they want to hear & keep paying me the big money! He was never looked at by English teams in recent years despite his playing past there club & international. But Petrie & a few still on here think he was some sort of manager? Charlatan, imposter, IMO they all work, sadly the muppet got us relegated from a position that was VERY difficult to even contemplate relegation from. Just wish the bookies that these 2 frequented could have been under some sort of scrutiny beforehand, that's how difficult a job I think they had on their hands to put Hibs down. But they managed it!

Before he came to hibs I always looked at Butcher as one of these sort of managers who always looked like he was giving it his all but his all wasn't good enough, a bit like Steve Fail and John Hughes, decent hard working guys but just not got what it takes to be a manager. I was never impressed by what he did at Inverness, it took him a relegation and a few seasons in the top flight to produce what teams like St Johnstone and Ross County had managed. I didn't want him as our manager but like many when he did get the job I really warmed to him and thought he was going to be a good manager for us, I was wrong. As you said he was a charlatan who caused more damage to our club in 6 months than many managers have done in years.

HFC_NYC
11-07-2014, 11:41 PM
Very good point made earlier about no English sides considering Butcher as manager. World Cup captain and all that.

emerald green
12-07-2014, 11:49 AM

:agree: :top marks

Onion
12-07-2014, 12:43 PM

It demonstrated special talent. Cannot think of many worse management performances at any level of football than TB's relegation of Hibs.

lord bunberry
12-07-2014, 12:48 PM
It demonstrated special talent. Cannot think of many worse management performances at any level of football than TB's relegation of Hibs.

One win in about three months would have kept us up, I can't think of a worse performance from a manager ever.