PDA

View Full Version : Kurtis Byrne

hibbysam
10-07-2014, 08:37 PM
Hadn't heard anything of the lad for a few years now but seeing he scored for Dundalk tonight in the Europa league... Very promising start as a youngster but kind of petered out.. Good to see him scoring goals at a decent level though, albeit probably against some dross.

Leitherhibs
10-07-2014, 08:39 PM
Hadn't heard anything of the lad for a few years now but seeing he scored for Dundalk tonight in the Europa league... Very promising start as a youngster but kind of petered out.. Good to see him scoring goals at a decent level though, albeit probably against some dross.

Remember his old man being quoted in the een saying it was a disgrace his son wasnt getting a game at hibs. Sure he was dumped by ross county a season or two later. Didnt look up to it in his few sub appearances i saw.

R11Loaded
10-07-2014, 08:39 PM
Think Dundalk won 8-1 on aggregate, and I feel like he acted like a welt at Hibs

Class doesn't show on a maroon jersey

hibbysam
10-07-2014, 08:41 PM
Remember his old mab being quoted in the een saying it was a disgrace his son wasnt getting a game at hibs. Sure he was dumped by ross county a season or two later. Didnt look up to it in his few sub appearances i saw.

I remember that as well... I'm not saying he deserved chances or that, just good to see him probably getting his head down and scoring goals, something he did for fun in our youth teams... Reminds me a bit of Damon Gray in the way they never fulfilled what potential it seemed they had.

Leitherhibs
10-07-2014, 08:43 PM
I remember that as well... I'm not saying he deserved chances or that, just good to see him probably getting his head down and scoring goals, something he did for fun in our youth teams... Reminds me a bit of Damon Gray in the way they never fulfilled what potential it seemed they had.

Ross campbell and dermot mccaffrey as well? What happened to that lot? Just demonstrates how biga step up it is from u20/u19's to first team.

easty
10-07-2014, 08:46 PM
Ross campbell and dermot mccaffrey as well? What happened to that lot? Just demonstrates how biga step up it is from u20/u19's to first team.

I don't even remember a dermot mccaffrey.

truehibernian
10-07-2014, 08:48 PM
Think Dundalk won 8-1 on aggregate, and I feel like he acted like a welt at Hibs

:faf:.......go on then, cite examples.........

His problem was his arrogance (I'm told), but he never ever 'acted like a welt at Hibs' - IIRC he won us the double with his goals at you:wink:th team level..........could do with a few more 'welts' that score when it matters :aok:

Only played a few times for the top team and never did anything wrong.....in fact, had an assist for a Nishy equaliser v A'deen if I recall :wink:

Do you know him DtS.......ever talked to Kurtis ?

Sir David Gray
10-07-2014, 08:50 PM
I don't even remember a dermot mccaffrey.

Only played one game for our first team, when he was sent off up at Pittodrie.

I believe it was also the day when John Collins played Kevin McCann as a centre half, although I could be wrong.

McCaffrey now plays for Dungannon Swifts in Northern Ireland.

Iceman1875
10-07-2014, 08:57 PM
I think Ross Campbell's playing over in Sweden lower league...

At Easter Road we play...

Broken Gnome
10-07-2014, 08:57 PM
Only played one game for our first team, when he was sent off up at Pittodrie.

I believe it was also the day when John Collins played Kevin McCann as a centre half, although I could be wrong.

McCaffrey now plays for Dungannon Swifts in Northern Ireland.

Was the 2-2 game before the Dunfermline replay.

Sir David Gray
10-07-2014, 09:00 PM
Was the 2-2 game before the Dunfermline replay.

:agree:

hibbysam
10-07-2014, 09:20 PM

Ross was a cracking player, brought through in the same team as fletch jinky kev McCann etc which I watched a lot as my brother was the keeper... A lot of promising players in the team but Ross was probably just too small and lightweight when it came to the crunch... Very talented player though.

hibIBZ
10-07-2014, 09:20 PM

I don't think he plays much football these days, lives in Glasgow

Iceman1875
10-07-2014, 09:23 PM
I don't think he plays much football these days, lives in Glasgow

I see, he's a local lad from me and last I heard he was in Sweden.

I agree he was a little on the small side. Who was your bro hibby Sam?

Smartie
10-07-2014, 09:31 PM
I always thought Kurtis looked a bit overwhelmed whenever he got an opportunity for us. He didn't seem to have the drive or determination that I was expecting of him having scored so many at a lower level. I was expecting a bit more of the "gallusness" that seemed to ooze from Brown, Riordan, O'Connor and many more that made sure that once they got into the team they made their mark and couldn't be ignored.

Unseen work
10-07-2014, 09:37 PM
To me it was his dad that seemed more like a idiot touting him up constantly and talks of Celtic

Never helped him that he played right winger quite a lot though.

Stantons Angel
10-07-2014, 10:57 PM
:faf:.......go on then, cite examples.........

His problem was his arrogance (I'm told), but he never ever 'acted like a welt at Hibs' - IIRC he won us the double with his goals at you:wink:th team level..........could do with a few more 'welts' that score when it matters :aok:

Only played a few times for the top team and never did anything wrong.....in fact, had an assist for a Nishy equaliser v A'deen if I recall :wink:

Do you know him DtS.......ever talked to Kurtis ?

In my opinion Kurtis was not arrogant or either acted like a welt at hibs!

He did only play a few times in the top team at a time Hibs were in constant change, he loved Hibs just like you and i do and was not treated very well by the then manager after they had a fall out.

again in my opinion he was never really given a chance to show what he could do due to the faltering of the Hibs team at the time. You dont just stop scoring goals for fun instinctively. He just wasnt given a chance in the Hibs team then.

He went home after leaving Dingwall to play with his home team Shamrock and has now passed on to Dungannon, good luck to him and i hope he goes on to score goals galore.

TowerHibs
11-07-2014, 07:37 AM
Thread just highlights when people were getting their knickers in a twist a few weeks ago about the release of a few youngsters that it happens every year and very few make it to top level.

Although it's extremely difficult to understand just now looking at the 1st team
, but u do need that extra bit drive and quality to maintain your standards/fitness/quality to stay a first team player at most professional levels

R11Loaded
11-07-2014, 11:08 AM
Maybe it was his dad, I remember him or his dad touting himself for a move to Celtic at one point but then again I'd have only started my teenage years around that time so might be wrong.

Leitherhibs
11-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Thread just highlights when people were getting their knickers in a twist a few weeks ago about the release of a few youngsters that it happens every year and very few make it to top level.

Although it's extremely difficult to understand just now looking at the 1st team
, but u do need that extra bit drive and quality to maintain your standards/fitness/quality to stay a first team player at most professional levels

Well said sir.

TRC
11-07-2014, 11:56 AM
Who have we let go in the last 10 years that have gone on to have great careers I can think of two sparky and scougil and that's about it?

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-07-2014, 04:30 PM
The way that Kurtis Byrne ended up, is not so much down to who said what and when, but more to do with his talent? With that in mind, it probably points back towards the checks and balances that should have been applied to the youth set up in that it should be there to deliver players that will be good enough for the first team and not just good enough to stand out at the level that they are currently playing at.

lord bunberry
11-07-2014, 04:45 PM
Players who stand out at under 20 level should be put out on loan to further their development, the lack of a reserve league means to many players don't make the jump from under 20 to first team