PDA

View Full Version : Who would you prefer to win on Sunday?

Hibbyradge
09-07-2014, 11:28 PM
Come on , folks, nail your colours to the mast.

Germany or Argentina.

Not who you think will win, who do you want to win.

Germany have been better to watch than Argentina, I have a strong dislike of Mascherano, some Argentine fans peed me off on holiday and I'd like a European team to win in South America.

So that's Germany jinxed!

Sir David Gray
09-07-2014, 11:45 PM
I don't really care either way to be honest but if I had to choose I would go for Argentina, for no other reason than I would love to see the reaction from the Brazilians if Argentina win the World Cup in Brazil!

After the result in the semi, that would just finish them off.

heretoday
09-07-2014, 11:47 PM
I want Germany to win because I have a win double bet with them (at 5/1) and Djokovic in the tennis. It should be a great match - a bit like tonight with few chances but very absorbing.

IWasThere2016
09-07-2014, 11:49 PM
Wagers on both - Argies e/w and Germans win - and Argies in golf club sweep :greengrin so not overly concerned but German win returns higher so Deutschland Uber Alles!

Looking forward to it - golf a.m., Dees - Man C at Dens and then WC Final. No a bad day at aw..

hibs4thecup1988
09-07-2014, 11:54 PM
Germany. If only cause I had Holland to win on pens at 12/1.

Bronson
10-07-2014, 12:05 AM
A Germany win will win me a decent whack from the bookies, so for obvious reasons I'm hoping they do it.

Gambling aside and looking at the game as a neutral, still Germany:greengrin

NOLA
10-07-2014, 02:31 AM
Germany cause I'm a quarter german, and cos I like beer more than corned beef ;)

whiskyhibby
10-07-2014, 04:35 AM
I really don't care as long as it's a great game :-)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

EdinMike
10-07-2014, 05:08 AM
Would prefer Argentina, but think the Germans will romp it 3-1...

Keith_M
10-07-2014, 05:39 AM
Well, since Tuesday, my Missus has been wearing her Jackboots and Goosestepping up and down the path outside the house, dressed like Helga from Allo Allo. I'm really afraid if they win on Sunday, she's gonna annexe Austria then invade some some other poor neighbouring country

So come on the Argies!!!!!

marinello59
10-07-2014, 05:50 AM
Argentina for me. I want to see Messi with a winners medal. Plus I have an each way bet on thèm.

Hibrandenburg
10-07-2014, 05:56 AM
Germany, purely because my son has got into this in a big way. I'll be taking him to the public viewing in the city for the final and the parade should they win it. ER might be a bit of a let down after all this.

Ronniekirk
10-07-2014, 06:14 AM
Come on , folks, nail your colours to the mast.

Germany or Argentina.

Not who you think will win, who do you want to win.

Germany have been better to watch than Argentina, I have a strong dislike of Mascherano, some Argentine fans peed me off on hokiday and I'd like a European team to win in South America.

So that's Germany jinxed!

Thought Mascherano was immense last night but think this German Team are at there prime and have everything that's needed to win the game .

pontius pilate
10-07-2014, 06:16 AM
Argentina for me ive goot them e/w with the bookies and also in the sweepstake in work however the germans could be too strong for them. I hope its an open game and we see the likes of messi and kroos in the ball making things happen

Gatecrasher
10-07-2014, 06:18 AM

DarrenSQH
10-07-2014, 07:29 AM
Argentina

Steve20
10-07-2014, 07:39 AM
Argentina.

Although, I expect the Germans will be too good for them.

Bill Milne
10-07-2014, 07:41 AM
I have money riding on Germany so that was an easy decision!!

bingo70
10-07-2014, 07:45 AM
Germany. Love the way they play and admire how they rebuilt the way they play after being pumped by England.

Someone mentioned mascherano earlier, I'd feel sorry for him, messi gets all the headlines but he's just as important to that Argentina team. imo he's an absolutely terrific player. Probably a dirty ******* but i don't think I've ever seen him have a bad game.

MWHIBBIES
10-07-2014, 07:50 AM
Germany, much more entertaining team.

easty
10-07-2014, 08:00 AM
I think Germany, but want Argentina. For me, Messi is the best player ever and he should have a World Cup winners medal in his career.

Waxy
10-07-2014, 08:03 AM
Germany as i'm quarter German also.plus nobody does it better.

jdships
10-07-2014, 08:24 AM
Germany for me on three counts
Admire their organisation, application and attitude towards the game
Really enjoy watching "Bundesliga" football on TV
Have my pension , at 5/1, on Germany to win :wink:

:not worth

hibee_nation
10-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Currywurst or corned beef nae contest come on you Germans.

--------
10-07-2014, 09:45 AM
Argentina.

For Messi, Di Stefano, and Antonio Rattin.

Gerard
10-07-2014, 10:00 AM
Germany cause I'm a quarter german, and cos I like beer more than corned beef ;)

Germany as I have German ancestry

Pete
10-07-2014, 10:57 AM
I think Argentinas name is on the cup. It's all set up for the underdog with explosive players to pip the better "team" with a moment of brilliance or two. Germany are indeed excellent but I think that Argentina have players that are capable of winning a game with that moment.

Messi hasn't done much this tournament, has been well shackled and looks knackered. Aguero has been injured and looks leggy. I reckon it's their destiny for one of them to just find that extra gear for a half an hour, or even a minute and win the cup on Brazilian soil.

I can't imagine looking back and remembering Messi as any sort of nearly-man.

Edit: just read the OP. I want Argentina to win. :greengrin:

Phil MaGlass
10-07-2014, 11:09 AM
Germany, 100%, spent many a good year there and a couple of trips with Scotland, love the country, the folk, the currywurst, the beer, it is just such a great place.
C,moan the Germans.

H18Y GW
10-07-2014, 11:09 AM
Germany , hate Messi .simples

H18Y GW
10-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Germany, 100%, spent many a good year there and a couple of trips with Scotland, love the country, the folk, the currywurst, the beer, it is just such a great place.
C,moan the Germans.

If I wasn't lazy, that's what I would have said

Hey Eintracht Frankfurt

jacomo
10-07-2014, 11:11 AM
I think Argentinas name is on the cup. It's all set up for the underdog with explosive players to pip the better "team" with a moment of brilliance or two. Germany are indeed excellent but I think that Argentina have players that are capable of winning a game with that moment.

Messi hasn't done much this tournament, has been well shackled and looks knackered. Aguero has been injured and looks leggy. I reckon it's their destiny for one of them to just find that extra gear for a half an hour, or even a minute and win the cup on Brazilian soil.

I can't imagine looking back and remembering Messi as any sort of nearly-man.

Personally, I don't think Messi has anything left to prove, but I do understand your point - many people believe he needs to win the Big One with his national side to truly cement his reputation.

Germany played very well against the pub team the other night but Argentina are much cannier defensively and will have epic support behind them.

Aaron
10-07-2014, 11:18 AM
Tough one for me. I love Argentina as a country (see my profile pic <------ taken in the Boca Juniors stadium) but wanted an European team to win it however i'm not overly keen on the Germans....... Heart vs head :confused:

hfc rd
10-07-2014, 11:22 AM
Just really want a great game to remember.

Hibbyradge
10-07-2014, 11:26 AM
Thought Mascherano was immense last night

He was excellent and I've no doubt he's a fine footballer, but I dislike him for several previous things he's done.

WeeRussell
10-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Other than supporting Argentina for L.messi, because he could just about turn me, I have money on the Argies since the start of the tournament. Also have Messi top scorer (and the double) so if he fancies scoring a hat-trick in the process I think the transition would be complete.

I don't buy into this Germany are over-riding favourites just because they shafted a very poor Brazilian side on the night.

Mon the 'Tina

Argylehibby
10-07-2014, 11:30 AM
Argentina for me. £95 comes my way if they win in the 90 minutes.

Albanian Hibs
10-07-2014, 11:53 AM
Germany

JOD
10-07-2014, 01:32 PM
Other than supporting Argentina for L.messi, because he could just about turn me, I have money on the Argies since the start of the tournament. Also have Messi top scorer (and the double) so if he fancies scoring a hat-trick in the process I think the transition would be complete.

I don't buy into this Germany are over-riding favourites just because they shafted a very poor Brazilian side on the night.

Mon the 'Tina

Totally agree overated gerrie team c'mon the Argies

Hibbyradge
10-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Totally agree overated gerrie team c'mon the Argies

Overrated?

4-0 against Portugal, 1-0 against France and 7 - 1 against the hosts. The USA put up a fight before losing 1-0, but their keeper made the most saves ever in a WC match.

Germany may not win tomorrow, but they're certainly not overrated.

Stats are;

Germany W5 D1 For 17 against 4

Argentina W5 D 1(last night) For 8 against 4

BroxburnHibee
10-07-2014, 02:09 PM
Argentina with a Messi hat trick :greengrin

stoneyburn hibs
10-07-2014, 02:54 PM
Germany, to shut up the noisy English here in the Canaries.

cad
10-07-2014, 03:03 PM
Germans 3-1

Deansy
10-07-2014, 03:35 PM
Germany !. I've never liked Argentina due to their usual 'Gamesmanship' - the 1978 WC being a prime example. To start with, their dubious 6-0 win over Peru that was necessary for them to reach the Argentines (delaying their match so that they knew how many goals they needed) . Their delay in actually taking the field at the final, then the protests/questioning of Rene Van De Kerkhof's plaster-cast (despite the fact he'd played with it on since the 1st round game v Iran so they had plenty of time to protest !). Okay, so far in this WC they've been pretty tame but I'd be very surprised if their usual way of playing doesn't rear it's ugly head on Sunday.

P,s The good thing though, is that no matter who wins, our neighbours down South will not be happy !!

lapsedhibee
10-07-2014, 03:43 PM
I think Argentinas name is on the cup.

You're right. Argentina's name is on the cup (http://acepix.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/football-worldcup-in-south-africa.html). They won it in 1986. Germany isn't on it.

easty
10-07-2014, 03:50 PM
Overrated?

4-0 against Portugal, 1-0 against France and 7 - 1 against the hosts. The USA put up a fight before losing 1-0, but their keeper made the most saves ever in a WC match.

Germany may not win tomorrow, but they're certainly not overrated.

Stats are;

Germany W5 D1 For 17 against 4

Argentina W5 D 1(last night) For 8 against 4

They certainly wont be winning tomorrow. :wink:

Yuillsy
10-07-2014, 04:12 PM
Argentina, purely because the guy who got Germany in the sweep at work is a yam!

(((Fergus)))
10-07-2014, 04:19 PM
Argentina.

For Messi, Di Stefano, and Antonio Rattin.

:faf: Not bitter or anything, Doddie!

Want Germany to win for the love of selflessness and teamwork (also for Tilkowski, Höttges, Schulz, Weber, Schnellinger, Beckenbauer, Overath, Haller, Seeler, Held and Emmerich :wink:)

Want Argies to win through the brilliance of Messi when it matters most.

PeeJay
10-07-2014, 04:45 PM
Germany !. I've never liked Argentina due to their usual 'Gamesmanship' - the 1978 WC being a prime example. To start with, their dubious 6-0 win over Peru that was necessary for them to reach the Argentines (delaying their match so that they knew how many goals they needed) . Their delay in actually taking the field at the final, then the protests/questioning of Rene Van De Kerkhof's plaster-cast (despite the fact he'd played with it on since the 1st round game v Iran so they had plenty of time to protest !). Okay, so far in this WC they've been pretty tame but I'd be very surprised if their usual way of playing doesn't rear it's ugly head on Sunday.

P,s The good thing though, is that no matter who wins, our neighbours down South will not be happy !!

You forgot to mention that Maradona cheat's goal against England (the one with the hand?) .... or is gamesmanship a flexible term for you? :greengrin