PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is going on?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

3pm
14-07-2014, 01:15 PM
I knew last Tuesday that Gray had signed and I know of one other who has signed, I thought he would've been announced by now but it seems not.

Someone different to the forward we're signing?

stoneyburn hibs
14-07-2014, 01:17 PM
I knew last Tuesday that Gray had signed and I know of one other who has signed, I thought he would've been announced by now but it seems not.

Seems bizarre that player/players have not been announced.

Speedway
14-07-2014, 01:23 PM
Next WT meeting, can someone get Hibs to adopt a policy of announcing all signings for that day by 10am and put punters out of their misery whilst also boosting the UK economy's productivity by 50% in a single swoop.

Turkish Green
14-07-2014, 01:48 PM
I am not contradicting you, I can understand keeping secret any player who has still to sign in case he is poached by a rival club but cannot understand why they would not announce a signing when a contract is signed. Strange.

i have a good friend in the administration side of the club and he knows nothing more than what has been posted on .net. Stranger still.

jacomo
14-07-2014, 02:01 PM
It's a simple ploy. State there are 3 or 4 signed but unannounced. Then when players are inevitably announced you can turn round and say these are the ones I was talking about. You are officially ITK.:cb

I can safely state there are further signings in the pipeline. Hibs haven't announced them yet but they will be announced in the next few days or weeks.:greengrin

Sad news: I can exclusively reveal that Alan Stubbs is to leave Hibs.

I understand that the club will sack him if he turns out to be a numpty. If he does well, other clubs are likely to try and poach him from Easter Road. No timetable has been set for either eventuality, but success at Hibs is bound to attract the attention of clubs both North and South of the border.

Alternatively, Hibs have the option of simply not extending his current contract if they feel that is the right option - or extending it in the hope of issuing a 'hands-off' warning to potential suitors. It's possible that he might stay at Hibs for 23 years, and be presented with a gold clock after rewriting the club's history books, but at this stage that is thought unlikely.

There we go - pretty confident I said it first. :wink:

Jones28
14-07-2014, 02:33 PM
So can we safely assume that the shop is shut for the day? If something was to happen it would've been announced by now.

*im gonna try this again tomorrow 👍

HH81
14-07-2014, 02:45 PM
Everything is ok.

Prem here we come.

DarlingtonHibee
14-07-2014, 05:02 PM
Nearly a week further on and only Gray announced. As I said at the weekend, I have asked agents/journos and within the club and no one knows of these signed/unannounced players.. Are you sure there are players signed Brooster?

Can you share some names with us - you are talking to someone within the club about transfers - Aye right, of course you cant its all a big secret - lol

silverhibee
14-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Pay what we can afford, Dempster can't produce money out of thin air.

Now, if only we had sold a couple of thousand more season tickets things might be different.

Were they different when we sold 8000 last season.

IWasThere2016
15-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Can you share some names with us - you are talking to someone within the club about transfers - Aye right, of course you cant its all a big secret - lol

:rolleyes:

IWasThere2016
15-07-2014, 12:57 PM
I am not contradicting you, I can understand keeping secret any player who has still to sign in case he is poached by a rival club but cannot understand why they would not announce a signing when a contract is signed. Strange.

i have a good friend in the administration side of the club and he knows nothing more than what has been posted on .net. Stranger still.

Club repeated calling for fans to buy STs .. and doesn't announce signings :crazy: Unless the signings haven't happened. I think the latter is odds on and the earlier talk of 4 signed etc is nonsense IMHO.

Ozyhibby
15-07-2014, 01:36 PM
Club repeated calling for fans to buy STs .. and doesn't announce signings :crazy: Unless the signings haven't happened. I think the latter is odds on and the earlier talk of 4 signed etc is nonsense IMHO.

I think that anyone who thinks that the club have made signing but are keeping them secret has been eating too many wild mushrooms.

IWasThere2016
15-07-2014, 01:43 PM
I think that anyone who thinks that the club have made signing but are keeping them secret has been eating too many wild mushrooms.

:greengrin

HH81
16-07-2014, 07:39 AM
So since the thread started, we have made 2 signings.

Is everyone happy with this and how many more are needed to challenge for the title?

Why the hell have Hibs not signed a goal keeper yet? This must be a massive worrry? Then again maybe he can be signed 3 weeks on Friday as there is still time.

Forza Fred
16-07-2014, 09:20 AM

Is everyone happy with this and how many more are needed to challenge for the title?

Why the hell have Hibs not signed a goal keeper yet? This must be a massive worrry? Then again maybe he can be signed 3 weeks on Friday as there is still time.

I can only assume we haven't signed a goalie because we are waiting on the recommendation of our recently appointed goalkeeping coach.

Yes, more are needed if we are to challenge for the title

I'd be surprised if anyone thought the current squad as it stands today would be capable of challenging.

scoopyboy
16-07-2014, 09:56 AM
I can only assume we haven't signed a goalie because we are waiting on the recommendation of our recently appointed goalkeeping coach.

Yes, more are needed if we are to challenge for the title

I'd be surprised if anyone thought the current squad as it stands today would be capable of challenging.

What I've been told a wee while ago is that we have a surprisingly good goalie lined up and he is happy to sign for what is on offer.

Drawback is he is negotiating a pay off from his club, these things can take a while and it's not uncommon that these things go to 31st August.

Obviously we can't wait that long for a goalie.

Baldy Foghorn
16-07-2014, 10:20 AM
What I've been told a wee while ago is that we have a surprisingly good goalie lined up and he is happy to sign for what is on offer.

Drawback is he is negotiating a pay off from his club, these things can take a while and it's not uncommon that these things go to 31st August.

Fingers crossed he can negotiate his pay off quickly.....

PeterboroHibee
16-07-2014, 10:31 AM

I do think we need a few more signings as, even with some of the younger guys impressing so far, we do have a small squad. The way we have been playing in the friendlies is encouraging though, and hopefully we can take that into competitive games. A goalkeeper will obviously be priority, and ideally it will be done with a preseason game left for him to play in.

scoopyboy
16-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Fingers crossed he can negotiate his pay off quickly.....

Agreed mate.

Billy Whizz
16-07-2014, 10:49 AM
Agreed mate.

Any idea who it might be?

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2014, 10:54 AM

Does this keeper excite you scoopy, would he be an improvement on Williams in your opinion?

scoopyboy
16-07-2014, 11:20 AM
Does this keeper excite you scoopy, would he be an improvement on Williams in your opinion?

I don't know who he is Blackpool and neither did the employee who told me.

Obviously the employee who told him did however.

There is a bit of me wonders if we will register Alan Combe and play him until this keeper is free to sign for us. Not ideal but I can see it coming.

bingo70
16-07-2014, 11:32 AM

There is a bit of me wonders if we will register Alan Combe and play him until this keeper is free to sign for us. Not ideal but I can see it coming.

There was a post on that Facebook page a while back I assumed was nonsense saying we were interested in Roy Carroll again.

Think he's still under contract in Greece, experienced and would tie in with that rumour on the pm board a while back about someone with champ league experience so maybe something in it after all?!

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2014, 12:01 PM

Cheers.:aok: I think you could be bang on the money regarding Combe. :agree: And even if we do get our target, i think he will be registered as a player just in case of an emergency.

JimBHibees
16-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Cheers.:aok: I think you could be bang on the money regarding Combe. :agree: And even if we do get our target, i think he will be registered as a player just in case of an emergency.

Yep agree I would assume a new number one plus back up from Combe and a younger keeper.

silverhibee
16-07-2014, 02:05 PM

:agree:

Pretty sure you and myself said in the last transfer window that the club would regret not backing Butcher with decent funds to get players in last January, quick question Scoops, are you happy with the way things are going at Hibs just now.?

I think Combe could be our No 1 for the season ahead.

PeterboroHibee
16-07-2014, 03:04 PM

Pretty sure you and myself said in the last transfer window that the club would regret not backing Butcher with decent funds to get players in last January, quick question Scoops, are you happy with the way things are going at Hibs just now.?

Id be really disappointed if thats the case. Im happy with him being player/coach as a back up, but with the number of good keepers that were available, I wouldnt understand the logic of going for a guy who is 40 and has barely played for 5 years.

Ozyhibby
16-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Even the rumours of players arriving seem to have stopped.
It's no wonder fans are beginning to worry with only 20 days to go.

CapitalGreen
16-07-2014, 03:20 PM
Even the rumours of players arriving seem to have stopped.
It's no wonder fans are beginning to worry with only 20 days to go.

There are players in discussions with the club.

Spike Mandela
16-07-2014, 04:06 PM
There are players in discussions with the club.

Club: "Would you like to come to Hibs?"

Player: "No"

:cb

weecounty hibby
16-07-2014, 05:39 PM
Club: "Would you like to come to Hibs?"

Player: "No"

:cb

Just the the kind of pessimistic bull that i would expect from you! We all know that it would be "maybe" and would only be "no" after the rumour had been posted on here and said player then read the absolute slating and character assassination he got😳

nribs
16-07-2014, 05:45 PM
@Kenny_Millar tweeting that there will be news of a new trialist tomorrow

scoopyboy
16-07-2014, 06:35 PM

Reasonably so Silv.

I don't know the identity of any potential signings but have heard they are looking to make three good signings. Thing is I don't know if David Gray and Farid El whatshisname are classed as two of the "good" signings or not. If they aren't and weve got three better still to come them I'm delighted. If however they are two of the three then I'm wary. Obviously the club can't categorise their signings in public.

From what I know the signs are positive.

1. The players are enjoying the training and finding the coaching staff really good in their approach. The three that we know about plus another guy who is excellent in his approach but I think may just be helping out.

2. The whole catering is getting revamped, with healthier food being on the agenda, eg healthy soup but served with a white roll and butter will be a thing of the past.

3. The physios are getting new equipment to aid them in their jobs.

4. Money to be spent on training equipment, this was tried for last year but was blatantly turned down.

I know that players hating the management and training is not always seen as the end of the world but its amazing how many players are now saying how much they hated it under Butcher. Players that hated the way things were and were going to quit the club are now happy to be staying and I'm hoping we get more out of last seasons players.

Overall I'm more upbeat than I was a few weeks ago but we still need more in and like others sooner rather than later would be nice.

silverhibee
16-07-2014, 06:44 PM
Reasonably so Silv.

I don't know the identity of any potential signings but have heard they are looking to make three good signings. Thing is I don't know if David Gray and Farid El whatshisname are classed as two of the "good" signings or not. If they aren't and weve got three better still to come them I'm delighted. If however they are two of the three then I'm wary. Obviously the club can't categorise their signings in public.

From what I know the signs are positive.

1. The players are enjoying the training and finding the coaching staff really good in their approach. The three that we know about plus another guy who is excellent in his approach but I think may just be helping out.

2. The whole catering is getting revamped, with healthier food being on the agenda, eg healthy soup but served with a white roll and butter will be a thing of the past.

3. The physios are getting new equipment to aid them in their jobs.

4. Money to be spent on training equipment, this was tried for last year but was blatantly turned down.

I know that players hating the management and training is not always seen as the end of the world but its amazing how many players are now saying how much they hated it under Butcher. Players that hated the way things were and were going to quit the club are now happy to be staying and I'm hoping we get more out of last seasons players.

Overall I'm more upbeat than I was a few weeks ago but we still need more in and like others sooner rather than later would be nice.

Good to hear that Scoops and thanks for the good update.

IanM
16-07-2014, 09:26 PM
There was a post on that Facebook page a while back I assumed was nonsense saying we were interested in Roy Carroll again.

Think he's still under contract in Greece, experienced and would tie in with that rumour on the pm board a while back about someone with champ league experience so maybe something in it after all?!

I'm listening! Someone of his calibre could only be a good thing for the club and players, especially the young keeper.. Don't know if that's who we've been after or likely after but someone of his stature would be a coup

Broken Gnome
16-07-2014, 10:10 PM
Not necessarily Kenny Millar's story, but the Express says we've got a French keeper on trial, Antoine Gounet. Fresh from playing one game for Brentford, and hasn't had a club for a year.

RyeSloan
16-07-2014, 10:24 PM
Not necessarily Kenny Millar's story, but the Express says we've got a French keeper on trial, Antoine Gounet. Fresh from playing one game for Brentford, and hasn't had a club for a year.

Could still turn out to be the bees knees tho!! ;-)

Jones28
16-07-2014, 10:32 PM

You never know, could be a south of the border gem!

With 20 days to go I'm officially starting to worry.

Ronniekirk
17-07-2014, 12:05 AM
Is the suggestion after one game Brentford had seen enough not to want him

IanM
17-07-2014, 04:10 AM
Is the suggestion after one game Brentford had seen enough not to want him

Gounet worked in his uncle's porcelain factory in order to fund a trip to London in search of a professional contract

Good me ol' china

Has been training with Fulham this year

bingo70
17-07-2014, 05:42 AM

Anyone any idea of this is the same boy Kenny Millar was talking about in the sun today?

Broken Gnome
17-07-2014, 06:09 AM
Anyone any idea of this is the same boy Kenny Millar was talking about in the sun today?

It is.

Only other attempted addition mentioned is a sports scientist that is part of the Scotland youth set-up.

Brooster
17-07-2014, 06:11 AM
This French goalie flew in last night and will be at East Mains today for a trial.

Turkish Green
17-07-2014, 06:27 AM
Antoine Gounet is 24 yrs old and has never played a 1st team game. He was at Tours 'B' from 2008-2011 then moved to Brentford for 2 seasons 2011-2013 where he didn't even make the bench. He has been without a club since he left Brentford in Summer of 2013.

I cannot see him as a 1st choice keeper.

Ozyhibby
17-07-2014, 07:03 AM
Antoine Gounet is 24 yrs old and has never played a 1st team game. He was at Tours 'B' from 2008-2011 then moved to Brentford for 2 seasons 2011-2013 where he didn't even make the bench. He has been without a club since he left Brentford in Summer of 2013.

I cannot see him as a 1st choice keeper.

Maybe we misunderstood and the club meant less quality and less quantity.
Really beginning to worry now.

HH81
17-07-2014, 07:12 AM
The club released a statement some time back that the intention was to win this league...

There is without doubt no evidence if this at present. I am guessing the next statement will be along the lines of we need more season ticket holders to be able to sign players and its the fans fault!!!!!!

The keeper is one of the most important players and were taking on keepers that have not player for a while. FFS there is loads of keepers in England better than Williams, infact I think we would pick up one good enough from the conference.

Tynie01011973
17-07-2014, 07:39 AM
Here's a wee video of the guy

http://vimeo.com/65048997

Doesn't look too bad tbh

:thumbsup:

hibs0666
17-07-2014, 08:06 AM
Gounet worked in his uncle's porcelain factory in order to fund a trip to London in search of a professional contract

Good me ol' china

Has been training with Fulham this year

At least he knows all about cups.

IanM
17-07-2014, 08:12 AM
Here's a wee video of the guy

http://vimeo.com/65048997

Doesn't look too bad tbh

:thumbsup:

Good distribution :agree:

A good thing for folk to remember though, just because he's not a 'big name' it surely doesn't stop Hibs from looking at players and brining them in on trial? we all know we need keepers, how are we going to find one unless we bring them in? just let Hibs do their job, the signings will come. better than we expect I imagine

Barman Stanton
17-07-2014, 08:28 AM
I find the lack of signings at this stage of pre-season worrying. Had hoped we would have had the majority of the team in by now and working together to be ready for kick off. With the two cheats in this league we needed real quality to get out it at the first attempt. Now we are talking about taking a keeper on trial who has never played a first team game. Surely for such a key position we should have targets who don't need a trial.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2014, 08:46 AM
I can understand a bit why some posters are concerned, but there really is little point worrying about the current situation.

Stubbs will do what's right for us.

Barman Stanton
17-07-2014, 08:50 AM
I can understand a bit why some posters are concerned, but there really is little point worrying about the current situation.

Stubbs will do what's right for us.

Or he will do what he can do. I like Stubbs and do think he will be the right choice, but it's not going to be easy for him if he has very little budget to work with.

Turkish Green
17-07-2014, 08:54 AM
I have to eat some of my words (if not all) regarding the appointment of Alan Stubbs. Not only do I believe that LD has found a gem but that AS is going about his business in a professional manner.

RP can go whenever he pleases as I feel that Hibs are now in competent hands. Well at least until they lose a league fixture. :wink:

Stevie Reid
17-07-2014, 08:57 AM
Or he will do what he can do. I like Stubbs and do think he will be the right choice, but it's not going to be easy for him if he has very little budget to work with.

If we truly did get Farid ahead of SPL clubs, then I have few concerns about his budget. He says he is taking his time and waiting to get the right players in - I choose to believe that, and like the fact that he seems calm and assured in his interviews so far. Everyone who has seen us play so far has been impressed with the style and the improvement in those players still here - I have faith that he will bring in players who improve us further.

That faith may prove to be misguided, but I'm not worried in the slightest.

blackpoolhibs
17-07-2014, 08:59 AM
We will sign quality over quantity, thats been the usual spiel for the last few years. Is bringing in trialists the way to do this?

Quality is already known surely, and trialists are players we know very little about or are not sure about?

Now i'm not against trialists or looking at them, but for gods sake is this how we are looking for our number 1 goalkeeper for the season?

I suppose the window does not close until the end of August, so there's nothing to get worried about yet, is there?

Keith_M
17-07-2014, 09:05 AM
We will sign quality over quantity, thats been the usual spiel for the last few years. Is bringing in trialists the way to do this?......

AS was a coach at Everton. It's possible that his idea of 'quality' is based on what he saw there. I'm now wondering if he's gradually having to adjust his notion of 'quality' based on the budget we have at Hibs and it's taking some time for him to come to terms with that.

Barman Stanton
17-07-2014, 09:07 AM
If we truly did get Farid ahead of SPL clubs, then I have few concerns about his budget. He says he is taking his time and waiting to get the right players in - I choose to believe that, and like the fact that he seems calm and assured in his interviews so far. Everyone who has seen us play so far has been impressed with the style and the improvement in those players still here - I have faith that he will bring in players who improve us further.

That faith may prove to be misguided, but I'm not worried in the slightest.

I really do hope you are right. I'm just getting a big dose of déjà vu at the moment. If after the Hamilton game someone had told me at this stage we would have released half the squad and brought in two players I would have said they are are mental.

IWasThere2016
17-07-2014, 09:09 AM
I find the lack of signings at this stage of pre-season worrying. Had hoped we would have had the majority of the team in by now and working together to be ready for kick off. With the two cheats in this league we needed real quality to get out it at the first attempt. Now we are talking about taking a keeper on trial who has never played a first team game. Surely for such a key position we should have targets who don't need a trial.

We will sign quality over quantity, thats been the usual spiel for the last few years. Is bringing in trialists the way to do this?

Quality is already known surely, and trialists are players we know very little about or are not sure about?

Now i'm not against trialists or looking at them, but for gods sake is this how we are looking for our number 1 goalkeeper for the season?

I suppose the window does not close until the end of August, so there's nothing to get worried about yet, is there?

I'm worried.

Barman Stanton
17-07-2014, 09:10 AM

My feelings exactly. I personally thought we needed a full new spine to the team, and these should not be trialists. Quality over quantity they said. Well quality should already be known.

blackpoolhibs
AS was a coach at Everton. It's possible that his idea of 'quality' is based on what he saw there. I'm now wondering if he's gradually having to adjust his notion of 'quality' based on the budget we have at Hibs and it's taking some time for him to come to terms with that.

I dont know if thats the case here, but he will know that he'd not have anywhere near the funds to get the kind of quality he was coaching at Everton, but he will have known roughly what his budget was at Easter Road when he made the comment.

GordonHFC

It was quoted that either Stubbs or Dempster wanted 3 in for each position. If this is the case I would assume that team 1 would consist of the 'Quality' players, team 2 would be possibly 'trialists who have impressed' and team 3 would be 'youth'. This guy coming in today on trial may be assessed as good enough for the team 2 bracket?

Just my thoughts.

blackpoolhibs
17-07-2014, 09:18 AM
It was quoted that either Stubbs or Dempster wanted 3 in for each position. If this is the case I would assume that team 1 would consist of the 'Quality' players, team 2 would be possibly 'trialists who have impressed' and team 3 would be 'youth'. This guy coming in today on trial may be assessed as good enough for the team 2 bracket?

Just my thoughts.

Hopefully. :dunno:

FranckSuzy
17-07-2014, 09:24 AM

Just my thoughts.

:agree: LD said that. AS also said last week (at the WT meeting at EM) that he'd be happy with a squad of 16-18 quality players and if you're good enough you're old enough. The last bit has been proved by a 14 year old seemingly being in the team on Tues :greengrin

Keith_M
17-07-2014, 09:37 AM
I dont know if thats the case here, but he will know that he'd not have anywhere near the funds to get the kind of quality he was coaching at Everton, but he will have known roughly what his budget was at Easter Road when he made the comment.

Yeah, I realise that but it might have come as a bit of a shock to him just how much lower he has to set his sights on the budget Hibs have.

I'm trying to remain positive but I kinda hoped we wouldn't be looking in the bargain basement or rejects bin, as seems to be the case with our new 'trialist' Goalkeeper.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2014, 09:39 AM
I'm loving the close season - just being away from the stress and depression that has gone along with supporting Hibs in the last few seasons has been a breath of fresh air. Now folk can choose to stress about where we are squad-wise at the moment, as I said I can kind of see why folk might do a wee bit - I personally am delighted that the vast majority of those who were complicit in our recent catastrophic failures are long gone, and am pleased with those who have come in so far; Farid especially.

We are undergoing change on many levels at the moment, from top to bottom - these things take time, and whilst people will always look for some tangible signs that the changes are taking hold, there really is little that can be seen at the moment that will indicate if we are headed in the right direction. The best we have is our performances so far - regardless of the opposition, our style of play in the games so far has been very appealing (according to those who have seen us), and the few that are still here from last season seem to have adjusted to our new systems very comfortably.

We have a new highly regarded CEO, along with a highly regarded new head coach, whose acquisition of 1st team coach seems to have been a real coup also. They have all come here to rebuild us and get us back where we belong - it is the 17 July, and there is plenty time for the redevelopment to continue at whatever pace Stubbs deems necessary. He seems to be working on systems that the players we have will fit into - any new players added will fit into these systems, not shape our style in their own right. I would be worried if he were awaiting the arrival of certain new players to spark ideas.

Not having to worry about our results this last few weeks has been like a holiday, and our new custodians have a blank canvas to work with - if there is a time for optimism after our recent disasters, it surely is now. If people choose to fill this time by worrying and stressing then that is obviously up to them - I choose not to.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2014, 09:42 AM
Yeah, I realise that but it might have come as a bit of a shock to him just how much lower he has to set his sights on the budget Hibs have.

I'm trying to remain positive but I kinda hoped we wouldn't be looking in the bargain basement or rejects bin, as seems to be the case with our new 'trialist' Goalkeeper.

Ben Williams has just gone on trial at a club - would you consider him to be 'bargain basement'? The market is saturated with out of contract footballers right now.

HappyAsHellas
17-07-2014, 09:47 AM
Andy Goram was released by WBA and Oldham picked him up - a trialist like that would be a bad thing then?

R'Albin
17-07-2014, 09:49 AM
I'm loving the close season - just being away from the stress and depression that has gone along with supporting Hibs in the last few seasons has been a breath of fresh air. Now folk can choose to stress about where we are squad-wise at the moment, as I said I can kind of see why folk might do a wee bit - I personally am delighted that the vast majority of those who were complicit in our recent catastrophic failures are long gone, and am pleased with those who have come in so far; Farid especially.

We are undergoing change on many levels at the moment, from top to bottom - these things take time, and whilst people will always look for some tangible signs that the changes are taking hold, there really is little that can be seen at the moment that will indicate if we are headed in the right direction. The best we have is our performances so far - regardless of the opposition, our style of play in the games so far has been very appealing (according to those who have seen us), and the few that are still here from last season seem to have adjusted to our new systems very comfortably.

We have a new highly regarded CEO, along with a highly regarded new head coach, whose acquisition of 1st team coach seems to have been a real coup also. They have all come here to rebuild us and get us back where we belong - it is the 17 July, and there is plenty time for the redevelopment to continue at whatever pace Stubbs deems necessary. He seems to be working on systems that the players we have will fit into - any new players added will fit into these systems, not shape our style in their own right. I would be worried if he were awaiting the arrival of certain new players to spark ideas.

Not having to worry about our results this last few weeks has been like a holiday, and our new custodians have a blank canvas to work with - if there is a time for optimism after our recent disasters, it surely is now. If people choose to fill this time by worrying and stressing then that is obviously up to them - I choose not to.

Especially that bottom paragraph :top marks

Keith_M
17-07-2014, 09:50 AM
Ben Williams has just gone on trial at a club - would you consider him to be 'bargain basement'? The market is saturated with out of contract footballers right now.

No, but he's actually played for teams as first choice GK for years.

I was referring to the trialist we currently have that's never even played in the first team.

CapitalGreen
17-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Boozy, Murphy, Benji

3 trialists off the top of my head.

Speedway
17-07-2014, 09:53 AM
Andy Goram was released by WBA and Oldham picked him up - a trialist like that would be a bad thing then?

The exception doesn't always prove the rule.

What will have happened is that we'll have gone for quality, quality will have laughed at us and we're now on trialists as always.

The difference is, we worry if we've got the income to cover the wages, our competitors do not, they just sign the players they need and worry about how they'll fund it later.

LeithBoozy
17-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Good post Stevie, don't forget Latapy and boozy were both taken-on trial to start with. :wink:

Keith_M
17-07-2014, 09:58 AM

Boozy, Murphy, Benji

I'm not sure if you guys are a bit defensive or are deliberately missing the point. Have a look at what I ACTUALLY said, and you'll see it does NOT criticise trialists in general. I was referring to one specific trialist that has never played a First team game in his career and stated that I hope we are not looking at the likes of him as 'quality'.

Jeezo, the hibs.net inquisition strikes again. :rolleyes:

hibseleven
17-07-2014, 10:00 AM

agree with most of this. My only point of concern at the moment is the following. Is Stubbs REALLY in control of how quickly we move forward or is he being hindered by his (lack of) budget? I have to admit personally if the "quality over quantity" line is to be believed we would have more than two in by now. Hibs tried to sign DG when Yogi was in charge. Surely AS should have had more players in mind than this by now?

CapitalGreen
17-07-2014, 10:07 AM
I'm not sure if you guys are a bit defensive or are deliberately missing the point. Have a look at what I ACTUALLY said, and you'll see it does NOT criticise trialists in general. I was referring to one specific trialist that has never played a First team game in his career and stated that I hope we are not looking at the likes of him as 'quality'.

Chill out sugar, never even read your post. My reply was to the thread in general.

tamig
17-07-2014, 10:14 AM
Boozy, Murphy, Benji

Ivan and big Konte too :-)

mjhibby
17-07-2014, 11:05 AM
I really dont understand why so many people on here are getting so wound up when the season is weeks away and our new manager is gradually changing the style of football to something more pleasing on the eye.Yes we released a lot of players,nearly all of who most agreed needed to go.Hes brought in an experienced rb and a proven striker at championship level.We cant afford big wages and championship teams in england far outpay anybody bar sevco in our league.Let the new manager get on with assembling a squad and lets see how he does. Fans getting all upset because we havent signed loads of players(no doubt most of whom would be rushed buys)need to just wait and see before starting to panic.Like others on here i am enjoying the break from scottish football and the stress each saturday.Lets think positive as a lot of us think the new manager and the ceo are great appointments and will gradually gets us back where we want to be.We need to be in the 1st four as realistically sevco are going to win the league and i think we will achieve that and then it is the nerve racking playoffs and more grey hairs.oh the joy of supporting our wonderful club

blackpoolhibs
17-07-2014, 11:31 AM
I really dont understand why so many people on here are getting so wound up when the season is weeks away and our new manager is gradually changing the style of football to something more pleasing on the eye.Yes we released a lot of players,nearly all of who most agreed needed to go.Hes brought in an experienced rb and a proven striker at championship level.We cant afford big wages and championship teams in england far outpay anybody bar sevco in our league.Let the new manager get on with assembling a squad and lets see how he does. Fans getting all upset because we havent signed loads of players(no doubt most of whom would be rushed buys)need to just wait and see before starting to panic.Like others on here i am enjoying the break from scottish football and the stress each saturday.Lets think positive as a lot of us think the new manager and the ceo are great appointments and will gradually gets us back where we want to be.We need to be in the 1st four as realistically sevco are going to win the league and i think we will achieve that and then it is the nerve racking playoffs and more grey hairs.oh the joy of supporting our wonderful club

Maybe its because we have all seen this happen before? FWIW i agree with your last bit, we will i'd hope make the play offs.

--------
17-07-2014, 11:31 AM

I'd agree with almost all of that, Stevie. I would have liked to see another couple of players in by now, especially an experienced goalie, but other than that I'm fairly happy with what I see going on around the team.

There are lots and lots of footballers out of contract right now, and the temptation is to sign guys up in a job lot - "I'll have two goalkeepers, a right-back, three midfield players, one defensive, two attacking - could you make one of the attacking ones left-footed? - and a couple of strikers, please. Aye, it's OK, I've got the car. Just put them in the boot."

But we mostly know it doesn't work that way, especially when a manager's confronted with the sort of mess Leeann Dempster and Alan Stubbs are confronted with.

(And with RP and his cronies still lurking in the shadows as well. Not to mention the Cold Dead Hand.)

If Alan Stubbs is settled in his mind that a squad of 16-18 players, chosen with the emphasis on as good quality as he can persuade to sign for a second-tier team with an appalling recent history of failed managers, revolving-door transfer policies, very angry and demanding supporters, and playing in one of the least attractive leagues in Europe then I'm prepared to go along with that and support him. Everything I've heard about the pre-season games and everything he's said himself in press releases and conferences gives me a more than favourable impression of him so far.

Leeann and Alan have work cut out for them, though, and I don't think it'll all come right in one season as some folks seem to be demanding. My heart says we should be mounting a realistic challenge for promotion this season; my gut suggests that this season will be a season of re-grouping and re-organisation, with the push for promotion coming next season.

Keith_M
17-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Chill out sugar, never even read your post. My reply was to the thread in general.

Fair enuf, you're now off my hit list.

The other two, however, aren't getting off so lightly

:wink:

Dashing Bob S
17-07-2014, 11:52 AM
Doesn't matter whether you sign a trialist, out of contract player, experienced veteran, player from the lower divisions, player from abroad, or even established star, you are putting a new club and new player together. Therefore you have no way of knowing whether they will be a spectacular success or dismal failure.

Can't believe that people get all worked about whether a player we might possibly sign (but probably won't) will perform well or poorly for us.

Tynie01011973
17-07-2014, 12:12 PM

You sure about that ? try reading the Wiki page again. :wink:

NOLA
17-07-2014, 01:24 PM
what happened to the 4 players we were supposed to have signed last week? was Gray one of the 4? farid was signed this week so we are down 2 players :greengrin

HappyAsHellas
17-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Fair enuf, you're now off my hit list.

The other two, however, aren't getting off so lightly

:wink:

We are in the process of rebuilding from the ground up essentially, and given the financial situation this season as opposed to the wasteful last few years, it surely cannot be surprising that we are being picky about who we bring in. I wont worry about a trialist goalkeeper as every footballing great had to make a debut at some point. If AS and co think he's good enough for Hibs then that's fine with me. He's probably more experienced in picking out players than anyone on .net. I also think that given the English clubs are all back this week then more new signings or loan deals will come to fruition. What is happening on the pitch now is a welcome step in the right direction, and one which I will support wholeheartedly, whether I'm forgiven or not....:wink:

IWasThere2016
17-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Doesn't matter whether you sign a trialist, out of contract player, experienced veteran, player from the lower divisions, player from abroad, or even established star, you are putting a new club and new player together. Therefore you have no way of knowing whether they will be a spectacular success or dismal failure.

Can't believe that people get all worked about whether a player we might possibly sign (but probably won't) will perform well or poorly for us.

The earlier they are signed, the longer they have to settle, get fit, get to know club/team-mates, system of play etc.. We leave it too late too often and are never best prepared for the k.o. This season looks no different..

what happened to the 4 players we were supposed to have signed last week? was Gray one of the 4? farid was signed this week so we are down 2 players :greengrin

That was clearly a load of pish..

Gerard
17-07-2014, 01:40 PM
The earlier they are signed, the longer they have to settle, get fit, get to know club/team-mates, system of play etc.. We leave it too late too often and are never best prepared for the k.o. This season looks no different..

TQM all good and fair points regarding signing of new players.:thumbsup:

Smartie
17-07-2014, 02:24 PM

All fair points and this is a feature at Easter Road that really gets on my nerves. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail etc etc and the last few seasons we have been inexcusably poorly prepared.

I do think we need to cut them a bit of slack this year though because it's a truly unique situation, what with the relegation, managerial change, wholesale changes in playing squad etc.

I'd much rather be a bit behind at the start and chasing the teams above confident that we had the right squad in place than getting anyone in for the sheer hell of it right now.

All the noises Hibs are making are the right ones about quality over quantity etc, I have faith in LD and AS in what they've said and done so far and I've liked what I've seen of the team and what they've changed with the same players. I still have a huge mistrust of Hibs as a club though when it comes to signing players, and I think it's only natural for people to get a bit suspicious when things drag out a bit like they seem to be doing now, given what's happened in recent years when we've reportedly missed out on our main targets.

Time will tell.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2014, 02:46 PM

By this time last year we had signed Liam Craig, Ryan McGivern, Owain Tudur-Jones, Fraser Mullen, Kevin Thomson and Rowan Vine. Being in the door early didn't help many of them.

Our failings in recent seasons have been down to signing the wrong players, and is nothing to do with when they were signed.

Keith_M
17-07-2014, 02:53 PM

Was that from one of our 'In The Know' posters?

Feel free to name and shame :greengrin

silverhibee
17-07-2014, 02:57 PM

I go back to his statement he made about the interview he had with LD to get the job where he said that he already had players in mind to bring to the club, he would have had a rough idea what kind of wages Hibs would be offering to players and that would mean he had players in mind, what happened to them, :confused: then shortly after that we were told signings would be imminent, where are they, :confused: so far we have made two signings, one was a SM find and Big El was recommended to us through a agent, and in between we seem to be going through a load of trialist's which imo isn't the way ahead, there must be players out there that can do a job for us and could be in the door now gelling for the season ahead.

Pretty sure everything will work out thing and we stroll in to the play-offs this season. :agree:

JimBHibees
17-07-2014, 03:03 PM
By this time last year we had signed Liam Craig, Ryan McGivern, Owain Tudur-Jones, Fraser Mullen, Kevin Thomson and Rowan Vine. Being in the door early didn't help many of them.

Our failings in recent seasons have been down to signing the wrong players, and is nothing to do with when they were signed.

Agree and also IMO maybe not having the management and coaching capability to get the best out of these players.

Ozyhibby
17-07-2014, 03:07 PM
I go back to his statement he made about the interview he had with LD to get the job where he said that he already had players in mind to bring to the club, he would have had a rough idea what kind of wages Hibs would be offering to players and that would mean he had players in mind, what happened to them, :confused: then shortly after that we were told signings would be imminent, where are they, :confused: so far we have made two signings, one was a SM find and Big El was recommended to us through a agent, and in between we seem to be going through a load of trialist's which imo isn't the way ahead, there must be players out there that can do a job for us and could be in the door now gelling for the season ahead.

Pretty sure everything will work out thing and we stroll in to the play-offs this season. :agree:

Would Big El have been known to George Craig from his time at Falkirk?

jacomo
17-07-2014, 04:10 PM

I'd say that our failings have been due to a poor working culture at Hibs that did not bring the best out of the playing squad. Most of the players you mention had decent reputations but under-performed for us.

For this reason I think AS is right to focus on getting the right coaching team and resources in place. This will hopefully mean that new signings know from day 1 what is expected of them, and that they have to work hard and be professional.

IWasThere2016
17-07-2014, 05:58 PM

Did we not start the season well? We're we not mid-table SPL when most of the above played? We went down thanks to TB - poorer preparation may have just meant earlier relegation and finishing below them.

Given where we are now the better the prep the better our chances in the Chumpionship IMHO.

snooky
17-07-2014, 06:04 PM

All is barry for sure, SH :wink: :greengrin

Stevie Reid
17-07-2014, 06:45 PM
Did we not start the season well? We're we not mid-table SPL when most of the above played? We went down thanks to TB - poorer preparation may have just meant earlier relegation and finishing below them.

Given where we are now the better the prep the better our chances in the Chumpionship IMHO.

I defended Fenlon as much as I possibly could, but even I couldn't say we started the season well - two defeats to Malmo and the opening two league defeats, all without scoring, had this place in meltdown.

We were on track for a mid table finish under Pat, and a couple of those players listed hardly kicked a ball for us last season, so it would be hard to say that any of them improved us. The fact that they were signed early had no discernible positive impact on their performances, that's for sure.

(Butcher was solely responsible for out relegation though, you are certainly right there)

Ideally I would have liked a couple more in by now too, but with the back room team being finalised today, I am feeling very positive and look forward to seeing what they will do with what we have, and the ones we bring in.

VPHIBEE
17-07-2014, 06:54 PM
I am hoping that now the management team is complete, that we start to see them use their knowledge of the English game and leverage some of their contacts to sign a couple of EPL Team wonder kids. I was expecting Stubbs to have done this already, so hopefully this will happen now. Add in a couple of experienced solid players they have worked with and that will do nicely.

Welcome to Hibs. Now please get down to signing us some quality players we can hump the Gers and The Wee Gers with!

Oh, and is that leech Petrie still hanging around?

Ozyhibby
17-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Have we all given up moaning about the lack of activity? Very quiet on here tonight.

Brooster
17-07-2014, 11:06 PM
I hope we sign a goalie soon, one with a pedigree!

Ronniekirk
17-07-2014, 11:40 PM
Was that from one of our 'In The Know' posters?

Feel free to name and shame :greengrin

To be fair the Cat who was one of the posters but did state several times he was passing on information he had heard but that there was no guarantee that players targeted would sign on

the dotted line and offers to players can fall through at last minute for a variety of reasons like get better offer elsewhere .
Somewhere along the line however posts started to imply that several players had been signed but just not announced by Hibs ,and that seemed to raise some peoples expectations when we all knew how many players had left and we were told there was a big rebuilding job to do
To date two players in is not where a lot of fans expected us to be in this rebuilding process Yes there are Mitigating factors and yes we all want Quality over Quantity .
Like others on here I am prepared to be patient , but at some point he has to be able to play his preferred stating 11 to get them to start gelling and prepared for first league game ,or we run risk of playing catch up from the off and that's not where we want to be .So by the Watford game in late July we will have better idea of where we are and how well prepared we look for our first league game as for me given where we currently are the early cup games aren't the Priority .
Younger players on loan will I think be factored in but they won't be able to come possibly till later in Transfer window as Parent Clubs don't usually want to make these decisions too early .
So despite the Frustration I think we will get more players in .What is less certain for me will be the quality of Player we can attract .although our new Striker was clear he saw the Championship as place to be and more exciting Fixtures so let's hope more Targets think along those lines .

Brooster
18-07-2014, 03:44 AM
Today is the day!

The Falcon
18-07-2014, 04:23 AM
Today is the day!

Oh well.......that's me up now.......:thumbsup:

Forza Fred
18-07-2014, 05:08 AM
Today is the day!

Hope so, but it will soon be night here:greengrin

3pm
18-07-2014, 05:16 AM
Today is the day!

Aye right! :greengrin

bingo70
18-07-2014, 05:32 AM
Today is the day!

Expecting some news today Brooster?

BT58
18-07-2014, 05:48 AM
Today is the day!
.......mon the brooster,,you canny leave it like that.....

GlenrothesHibee
18-07-2014, 06:00 AM

Alan Main has a German Shepherd

Brooster
18-07-2014, 07:11 AM
.......mon the brooster,,you canny leave it like that.....

I'm hopefull....no guarantees though.

dchibs
18-07-2014, 08:15 AM

Would prefer a pit bull.

FranckSuzy
18-07-2014, 09:53 AM

:faf:

CapitalGreen
18-07-2014, 10:08 AM

Alan Ruff?

Dombie
18-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Subrata pal?

Gordy M
18-07-2014, 10:31 AM
Subrata pal?

Where do you hear that? Indian international goalkeeper who plays in the Danish league. Highly regarded in his own country, but not as much success in Denmark.

NorthNorfolkHFC
18-07-2014, 10:33 AM
We are unlikely to get a good no. 1 so I'd guess we will attempt to squeeze a wee no. 2 from a bigger club.....or a no. 3. There's plenty quality to go around.

Just a guess likesay

"That was classic intercourse!"

Dombie
18-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Where do you hear that? Indian international goalkeeper who plays in the Danish league. Highly regarded in his own country, but not as much success in Denmark.

Was merely a guess due to broosters 'pedigree' comment. Nothing else in it...

silverhibee
18-07-2014, 10:55 AM

:hmmm: :greengrin

GreenLake
18-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Subrata pal?

Could be a good commercial move. India has green in their flag so we might sell shirts in India and among our British Indian population. Maybe the owners of Jaguar (http://www.europe.tata.com/company/landing/Jaguar-Land-Rover) will invest in the team.:greengrin

The_Horde
18-07-2014, 11:11 AM

Rab Dugless?

FranckSuzy
18-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Alan Ruff?

:tee hee:

FranckSuzy
18-07-2014, 11:17 AM
Kevin Dogins? :greengrin

Newry Hibs
18-07-2014, 11:26 AM
Don't know who it could be, but hopefully he'll help us winalot of games.

silverhibee
18-07-2014, 11:54 AM

Peter Schmeichel coming out of retirement. :cb

blackpoolhibs
18-07-2014, 11:58 AM

Deid

silverhibee
18-07-2014, 12:05 PM
Deid

Pity.

Great Dane with a good pedigree. :greengrin

LancsHibs
18-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Pity.

Great Dane with a good pedigree. :greengrin

:tee hee:

Jones28
18-07-2014, 12:22 PM
Subrata pal?

He's mince on fifa

sleeping giant
18-07-2014, 12:27 PM

Asked my boy if he could think of somone with pedigree........ got it :agree:

Triple H from the WWE :flag:

sleeping giant
18-07-2014, 12:28 PM
;4100079']Rab Dugless?

:hilarious

eastmainsmsh
18-07-2014, 12:29 PM
Is it roy carrol one from greek team lol olympiakos he has champions League experience

silverhibee
18-07-2014, 01:13 PM
:no way:

Col2
18-07-2014, 01:48 PM
Quality over quantity, QUALITY over quantity.

We have signed two players, one which just about meets the quality (realistic quality) benchmark and another that time will tell.

Rumours drying up. Trialists coming in. Comment re The Heff 'will scote goals at this level' and now Craig made captain....

.....I am now firmly in the camp that believes stubbs will stick by largely the same outfield players with only additions by end of August being a goalie and a couple of last minute loanees from down south (eg Everton youths). I don't think that was plan A originally but our inability to act quickly or pit together decent packages has meant we just cant get the quality in we want.

grunt
18-07-2014, 02:03 PM

Deid
No he's not?
(Or was that a whoosh?)

Steve20
18-07-2014, 02:09 PM
Quality over quantity, QUALITY over quantity.

We have signed two players, one which just about meets the quality (realistic quality) benchmark and another that time will tell.

Rumours drying up. Trialists coming in. Comment re The Heff 'will scote goals at this level' and now Craig made captain....

.....I am now firmly in the camp that believes stubbs will stick by largely the same outfield players with only additions by end of August being a goalie and a couple of last minute loanees from down south (eg Everton youths). I don't think that was plan A originally but our inability to act quickly or pit together decent packages has meant we just cant get the quality in we want.

If this happens, then there is no chance of promotion.

blackpoolhibs
18-07-2014, 02:17 PM
No he's not?
(Or was that a whoosh?)

:tee hee: You've been doddied. You obviously dont watch corrie. :wink:

SteveHFC
18-07-2014, 02:17 PM
If this happens, then there is no chance of promotion.

We'll be down for a few years at least

BOB MARLEYS DUG
18-07-2014, 02:20 PM
Today is the day!

Gounet must have really impressed on his firs day :greengrin

grunt
18-07-2014, 02:23 PM
:tee hee: You've been doddied. You obviously dont watch corrie. :wink:You got that right. :agree:

silverhibee
18-07-2014, 02:24 PM
:tee hee: You've been doddied. You obviously dont watch corrie. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLbc2do3Mfw

:greengrin

Spike Mandela
18-07-2014, 03:15 PM
Lets not forget our first competitive game this year in the Petrofac cup was scheduled to be a week tomorrow and we still haven't even signed a first team goalie.

As the thread title suggests what the hell is going on? We've been unprepared for a season before but this is getting ridiculous. I did just pay £400 for a season ticket didn't I?

silverhibee
18-07-2014, 03:26 PM
Gounet must have really impressed on his firs day :greengrin

That dog has been sent back to the kennels.

Pedigree in doubt.

AL-Qaholik
18-07-2014, 04:18 PM
So, having been told to expect 3 or 4 players in by the end of last week, we're now another full week down the road (and worryingly close to the start of the season) and we've had a grand total of TWO!

No goalkeeper yet.
No new centre half yet.
No creativity in midfield yet.
No pace in the entire squad yet.
No quality goalscorer yet.

These were all areas that practically every Hibs fans agreed needed addressed and, as yet, none of them have been.

Yes, I'm aware we've signed El Alagui, but I'd be very worried of this is the standard of the "quality over quantity" we keep hearing about.

This far, we have neither.

Call me a "bed wetter" etc all you like but I am far from inspired right now!

Over to you, Hibs.

Barman Stanton
18-07-2014, 04:22 PM
So, having been told to expect 3 or 4 players in by the end of last week, we're now another full week down the road (and worryingly close to the start of the season) and we've had a grand total of TWO!

No goalkeeper yet.
No new centre half yet.
No creativity in midfield yet.
No pace in the entire squad yet.
No quality goalscorer yet.

These were all areas that practically every Hibs fans agreed needed addressed and, as yet, none of them have been.

Yes, I'm aware we've signed El Alagui, but I'd be very worried of this is the standard of the "quality over quantity" we keep hearing about.

This far, we have neither.

Call me a "bed wetter" etc all you like but I am far from inspired right now!

Over to you, Hibs.

It's getting more of a worry the closer we are to the start of the season. Yet strangely a lot of folks seem to be happy enough with the situation. It's starting to look likely that we have missed out on our targets and are struggling to bring anything better than what we have.

Kato
18-07-2014, 04:25 PM
So, having been told to expect 3 or 4 players in by the end of last week,

Who told you that?

AL-Qaholik
18-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Who told you that?

All these "in the know" posters kept banging on about it - plus LD herself said "players" (plural) would be in last week...

Other than that, I think it's the least we should be expecting with the squad the way it is and a little over a fortnight to go...

Hibbyradge
18-07-2014, 05:02 PM
Am pure shyting masel, so ah am.

We're gonny get malkied every week.

Aw naw.

Spike Mandela
18-07-2014, 05:31 PM

Aw naw.

Wae did last year big man by the way. Pure malkied so wi wir.

rcarter1
18-07-2014, 06:17 PM
One good thing about not signing many players, is that our costs will be well down. If we make a great start to the season with the squad we have, crowds could grow and give us an advantage in the january window.

Borderhibbie76
18-07-2014, 06:29 PM
One good thing about not signing many players, is that our costs will be well down. If we make a great start to the season with the squad we have, crowds could grow and give us an advantage in the january window.
If the squad stays as it is I cannot see us having a good start mate...sorry but as things stand the squad is bare and full of last season's failures! ! Disgraceful we r in this situation so close to new season im so apathetic towards hibs now...few years ago I couldnt miss a match!!

blackpoolhibs
18-07-2014, 06:41 PM

:faf: :top marks

rcarter1
18-07-2014, 06:46 PM
If the squad stays as it is I cannot see us having a good start mate...sorry but as things stand the squad is bare and full of last season's failures! ! Disgraceful we r in this situation so close to new season im so apathetic towards hibs now...few years ago I couldnt miss a match!!

I was trying to put a silver lining on an ominous and grey looking cloud. I agree that apathy is setting in with many, me included, but one seriously good run, or set of results etc will get at least some people back on board. I just hope its not three years from now in the third division!! :greengrin

Borderhibbie76
18-07-2014, 07:00 PM
I was trying to put a silver lining on an ominous and grey looking cloud. I agree that apathy is setting in with many, me included, but one seriously good run, or set of results etc will get at least some people back on board. I just hope its not three years from now in the third division!! :greengrin
Let's hope so mate..I just cannot believe we have signed 2 players only so far...same old story and they wonder why STs aren't selling??

BT58
18-07-2014, 07:10 PM

Aw naw.
D .....thats the way to get LD to get the new players that AS needs
Well done !!!!
Btw as LD is from the west she willnae need a dicktienary !!!!! LOL

rcarter1
18-07-2014, 07:12 PM
Let's hope so mate..I just cannot believe we have signed 2 players only so far...same old story and they wonder why STs aren't selling??

It's not inspiring.. I feel that we are a difficult club to sell to people. Grumpy fans, years of rubbish football, general bad press, and no 'us against the world' stuff going on. Noises from El Alagui are encouraging, in terms of being up for it. I just hope the rest of the squad turn a fresh page and start strongly.

Borderhibbie76
18-07-2014, 07:14 PM
It's not inspiring.. I feel that we are a difficult club to sell to people. Grumpy fans, years of rubbish football, general bad press, and no 'us against the world' stuff going on. Noises from El Alagui are encouraging, in terms of being up for it. I just hope the rest of the squad turn a fresh page and start strongly.
I hope so mate as another bad season could well be the last straw for many of us!! lets hope there are some exciting signings in the pipeline over next few weeks in time for kick off...

rcarter1
18-07-2014, 07:26 PM
I hope so mate as another bad season could well be the last straw for many of us!! lets hope there are some exciting signings in the pipeline over next few weeks in time for kick off...

Hopefully there will be a couple of gems. On the other hand we could wait until season tickets reach 2-3000, which I believe is what you're aiming for to be a respectable SPL club. :rolleyes:

Lago
18-07-2014, 08:52 PM
I'm afraid we are looking at 2 seasons in this division.

Last Minute
18-07-2014, 08:58 PM

:faf::faf::faf::

AL-Qaholik
18-07-2014, 09:02 PM

Minimum...

HH81
18-07-2014, 09:04 PM
I started this thread on the basis someone from Hibs reads this message board and would get the finger out and move forward.

Well if LD does read this message board, this summer is turning into a shambles. This thread is nearly 2 weeks old and Hibs have not moved any further forward. Even the ITK people are not sticking up for the summer policy any longer.

Someone asked me at work today, they said how is the Hibs rebuild going? I had to tell it as far as the playing side goes it has not started. He walked away shaking his head.

To not have a first choice keeper in 3 weeks before the start of season is just not acceptable.

DOn't forget buy your season tickets and a club shirt, do not have an opinion. Everything is ok.

jdships
18-07-2014, 09:31 PM
Minimum...

Without a doubt !!!!:yawn2::panic:

rcarter1
18-07-2014, 09:47 PM
I started this thread on the basis someone from Hibs reads this message board and would get the finger out and move forward.

Well if LD does read this message board, this summer is turning into a shambles. This thread is nearly 2 weeks old and Hibs have not moved any further forward. Even the ITK people are not sticking up for the summer policy any longer.

Someone asked me at work today, they said how is the Hibs rebuild going? I had to tell it as far as the playing side goes it has not started. He walked away shaking his head.

To not have a first choice keeper in 3 weeks before the start of season is just not acceptable.

DOn't forget buy your season tickets and a club shirt, do not have an opinion. Everything is ok.

I agree its not looking great. In fact its looking seriously marginal. It would appear we are undergoing a massive cost cutting exercise, and if we keep doing this there won't be any fans left. Quite possibly Petrie is a Jambo, who rebuilt Easter Road stadium so that when Hearts finally have to leave tynecastle, they have a brand new, potentially air liftable replacement. Until someone puts their money on the line, we could die by a thousand cuts. However, I am going to cling to the meagre hope that we get a couple more players in before the season starts, and that the existing squad recovers its morale and confidence by not having to play hoofball with unsuitable players, in the hope that our current manager is from the 21st Century and has some knowledge of the game.

Until this season is a write off, Im willing to see what this team can do in this division.

col02
19-07-2014, 06:48 AM
The quality threshold at the moment with regards to signing players or not in Hibs case will start to drop nearer the beginning of the season as the squad has nowhere near the balance required. Having been at Dunfermline I feel the football shall be more entertaining this season but can see it being a tough ask to get results and build momentum. At the moment I would argue Hearts, Rangers and even Falkirk are better prepared. Not a given by any stretch of the imagination that Hibs are naps for a play off spot at worst. Far tougher league to get out off than I feel many appreciate.

Beefster
19-07-2014, 07:18 AM
Minimum...

You're a regular ray of sunshine. If you've posted anything remotely positive about Hibs in the past 12 months, I must have missed it.

Crazyhorse
19-07-2014, 07:37 AM
You're a regular ray of sunshine. If you've posted anything remotely positive about Hibs in the past 12 months, I must have missed it.

Beefster I must have missed all those positive things we could have been posting about.

I'm not condemning you for being optimistic but like many Hibs supporters I can't see any grounds for optimism at the moment.

Heisenberg
19-07-2014, 07:37 AM
I am starting to get a bit worried as well tbh. Running with a smaller squad is fine but it's a big risk if we're keeping it as mostly last seasons team. When the going got tough they all bottled it, what's to say they are up for the fight this season?

Hibbyradge
19-07-2014, 07:44 AM
Hibs want player A who plays for Club X.

Player A wants to go to Hibs.

Club X is happy to let him go to Hibs...once they find a replacement.

Club X wants Player B to replace player B.

And so on until 31 August.

If Hibs could get players in quickly, they would do so. No point whinging and moaning about the club's signing policy.

Beefster
19-07-2014, 07:47 AM
Beefster I must have missed all those positive things we could have been posting about.

I'm not condemning you for being optimistic but like many Hibs supporters I can't see any grounds for optimism at the moment.

I'm not particularly optimistic or pessimistic. What will be, will be. Me stressing about it won't change a single thing.

Folk moaning doesn't bother me per se. It's the posters who are relentlessly negative about every single thing at the the club.

Spike Mandela
19-07-2014, 07:59 AM
I'm not particularly optimistic or pessimistic. What will be, will be. Me stressing about it won't change a single thing.

Folk moaning doesn't bother me per se. It's the posters who are relentlessly negative about every single thing at the the club.

Thank God for amphetamines!:greengrin

The Falcon
19-07-2014, 08:01 AM

Minimum...

But you'll be delighted to be wrong of course........

blackpoolhibs
19-07-2014, 08:38 AM

If Hibs could get players in quickly, they would do so. No point whinging and moaning about the club's signing policy.

Unless we are looking at a quality far better than our competitors, they seem to be able to bring in player A, a lot quicker than we are. Now we all know the season starts 3 weeks today, but surely to god we should have a keeper, and the basis of our team bedding in, getting used to how we play by now?

Yes we will add the odd player nearer the deadline day, but nobody will convince me this is actually good for us unless as i said at the beginning, we really are looking at far better quality than our competitors?

The latest rumour is David Clarkson, i'd suggest this is far from better quality than we normally bring in Dave?

As most folk here, we all want the same thing a successful Hibs, yet once again on the playing front, it looks very samey just like every season.

Come on Hibs, give us something to get excited about and give us something to get off our erses and into the ground.

HFC 0-7
19-07-2014, 08:45 AM

Get what you are saying but we have been in this position before, waiting and waiting for certain players then, "we tried but we were not able to get our first choice signings." Then we are forced to stick with what we have or panic buys. Biggest rebuilding job ever and we seem to be taking longer than before. If we do sign players late on, will we have the same old, "need time to gel" rubbish getting trotted out? It's more than likely that getting into the playoffs will be tight, possibly decided by just a few points, so it's extremely important to hit the ground running.

Re your last point, if fans do nothing about hibs signing policy which has been rank in the last few seasons, then what's the point? More and more people are becoming concerned, meanwhile the club is desperate for people to buy tickets but doing nothing to address those concerns.

look at the goalkeeping situation for example, such an important position. The GK helps organise the defence, the defence needs to become accustomed to what sort of keeper he is, ie, comes for crosses etc, acts almost as a sweeper at times running from his box or someone that sticks to their line. We dont have a 1st team keeper yet!

AlbertK86
19-07-2014, 08:55 AM
I am starting to get a bit worried as well tbh. Running with a smaller squad is fine but it's a big risk if we're keeping it as mostly last seasons team. When the going got tough they all bottled it, what's to say they are up for the fight this season?

Spot on

Need to get some players with a bit of character in. Too many hid when the going got tough

Hibbyradge
19-07-2014, 09:12 AM
Get what you are saying but we have been in this position before, waiting and waiting for certain players then, "we tried but we were not able to get our first choice signings." Then we are forced to stick with what we have or panic buys. Biggest rebuilding job ever and we seem to be taking longer than before. If we do sign players late on, will we have the same old, "need time to gel" rubbish getting trotted out? It's more than likely that getting into the playoffs will be tight, possibly decided by just a few points, so it's extremely important to hit the ground running.

And we'll be in this position again. Every club, apart from those who had wads of cash to spend, face exactly the same situation.

What should Hibs do to change this?

Your criticism of the club for potentially panic buying is ironic. It's you that's panicking, not the club.

Re your last point, if fans do nothing about hibs signing policy which has been rank in the last few seasons, then what's the point? More and more people are becoming concerned, meanwhile the club is desperate for people to buy tickets but doing nothing to address those concerns.

The fans are doing nothing.

Apart from moaning and worrying and pissing their pants.

If we could get the players in now, we would.

look at the goalkeeping situation for example, such an important position. The GK helps organise the defence, the defence needs to become accustomed to what sort of keeper he is, ie, comes for crosses etc, acts almost as a sweeper at times running from his box or someone that sticks to their line. We dont have a 1st team keeper yet!

What should we do about this fact?

Panic (again) and get anyone in quickly so we can say we've got a first team keeper? That can be done at any point during the transfer window.

It seems we're not going to do that. We're waiting for the right player.

If we don't get him, we'll get someone else later.

AL-Qaholik
19-07-2014, 09:26 AM

And what, precisely, has there been to be positive about in the last 12 months??

You might be happy enough with what's going on at Hibs, but I most certainly am not.

AL-Qaholik
19-07-2014, 09:27 AM
But you'll be delighted to be wrong of course........

Damn right I'll be delighted!!
Will never have been happier to be proved wrong - and I sincerely hope I am!

Keith_M
19-07-2014, 09:38 AM

How come other clubs are managing to sign people, if it's that difficult?

Also, do you think people being worried about the lack of quality first team players currently at the club equates to 'whinging and moaning'? I'm trying to stay as positive as I can but, the nearer the start of the season we get, I'm beginning to get a bit worried.

Turkish Green
19-07-2014, 09:39 AM
We're waiting for the right player.

How do you know this? Maybe AS/LD are just working down the list of positions to be filled and have not reached G for Goalkeeper.

IWasThere2016
19-07-2014, 09:41 AM
All these "in the know" posters kept banging on about it - plus LD herself said "players" (plural) would be in last week...

Other than that, I think it's the least we should be expecting with the squad the way it is and a little over a fortnight to go...

That was utter keech re 3/4 players..

Hibbyradge
19-07-2014, 09:46 AM
How come other clubs are managing to sign people, if it's that difficult?

We've signed 2 players too.

Also, do you think people being worried about the lack of quality first team players currently at the club equates to 'whinging and moaning'? I'm trying to stay as positive as I can but, the nearer the start of the season we get, I'm beginning to get a bit worried.

Yes, I think that repeatedly posting about how worried they are equates to whinging and moaning.

Worrying, whinging or moaning achieves nothing.

FWIW, I'm not worried. Seemingly we played well against Dunfermline and should have won without a first team keeper and without our 2 main strikers. We'll be even better if we get the right players in. :agree:

Hibbyradge
19-07-2014, 09:48 AM
How do you know this? Maybe AS/LD are just working down the list of positions to be filled and have not reached G for Goalkeeper.

:greengrin :aok:

They must have missed "G" because we've already signed a Striker and a Right back!!

AL-Qaholik
19-07-2014, 09:50 AM

They must have missed "G" because we've already signed a Striker and a Right back!!

D for Defender.

F for Forward.

God help us if we're planning on signing any Youth players this way though - they'll be nearing retirement by the time we get that far down the alphabet... :greengrin

Sas_The_Hibby
19-07-2014, 09:52 AM

They were on the list as "Forward" and "Back (Right)"! :greengrin

SaulGoodman
19-07-2014, 09:58 AM
:panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:

silverhibee
19-07-2014, 10:01 AM

Good to know the players we are after are under contract at clubs rather than players out of contract who should be a lot easier to deal with, were the two players we signed contracted to clubs.?

silverhibee
19-07-2014, 10:07 AM

And the next man in the door could possibly be David Clarkson, you happy with that.?

HFC 0-7
19-07-2014, 10:24 AM
And we'll be in this position again. Every club, apart from those who had wads of cash to spend, face exactly the same situation.

What should Hibs do to change this?

Your criticism of the club for potentially panic buying is ironic. It's you that's panicking, not the club.

The fans are doing nothing.

Apart from moaning and worrying and pissing their pants.

If we could get the players in now, we would.

What should we do about this fact?

Panic (again) and get anyone in quickly so we can say we've got a first team keeper? That can be done at any point during the transfer window.

It seems we're not going to do that. We're waiting for the right player.

If we don't get him, we'll get someone else later.

you are missing the point and making things up here!

my point is that we need a lot of players, waiting until the 31st august as per your scenario is what we hav done in the past only to find out we can't get them then we are forced into a few last minute signings when it's al the dregs that are left.

You are moaning at people moaning, that's ironic!

Only clubs with wads of cash are signing players....... Really! Livingston have signed 8 players, never knew they had wads of cash! Hibs have signed the least amount of players out of anyone in the championship and yet we had the biggest rebuilding job?!?

Aloa :- 4 players in

Cowdenbeath:- 3 players in

Dumbarton:- 3 players in

Falkirk:- 4 players in

Hearts:- 8 players in

hibs:- 2 players in

livingston:- 8 players in

QOS:- 3 players in

Raith:- 7 players in

rangers:- 4 players in

hibs0666
19-07-2014, 11:08 AM

my point is that we need a lot of players, waiting until the 31st august as per your scenario is what we hav done in the past only to find out we can't get them then we are forced into a few last minute signings when it's al the dregs that are left.

Only clubs with wads of cash are signing players....... Really! Livingston have signed 8 players, never knew they had wads of cash! Hibs have signed the least amount of players out of anyone in the championship and yet we had the biggest rebuilding job?!?

How many players did each club release?

Forza Fred
19-07-2014, 11:15 AM
How many players did each club release?

I would suggest that it is very unlikely that any of them released as many as we did

emerald green
19-07-2014, 11:30 AM

I agree Hibs need to sign new players. The important thing IMO is not the number of players signed, but the quality and type of player coming to the club.

I'm not trying to be wise after the event here either, but I posted several times when Hibs were sliding towards relegation that one of the biggest disasters for any club being relegated would be trying to then attract the right quality of player(s) to come to the club and play in a lower league.

Maybe that's one of the reasons only two new signings have been announced, so far? I hope that's not the case. Time will tell.

The Leith Dutch
19-07-2014, 12:11 PM
By way of a sobering thought on this the website lists the following first team players:
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/PlayerProfileIndex/0,,10290,00.html

I haven't checked to see if anything is missing but, assuming we play Perntreou in goals, that gives us 15 outfield players in the first team.
Currently Heffernan, Cummings, Hanlon and Harris are all carrying knocks.

That would mean a starting XI of:
Perntreou
Booth Nelson Forster Gray
Stevenson Robertson Tudor-Jones Stanton
Craig
El Alagui

With Danny Handling and some of the under 20's on the bench.

Realistically you'd expect that as it's only a knock that those four players would be fit for the start of the season but it does highlight that a relatively small injury list would have a massive effect on the team we play.

For the record I still think we can get the signings in and I'm certainly not giving up on a decent season but we have a problem with quality, a problem with depth and a problem with overall squad size - even with LD's stated intent of a 38 man squad.

blackpoolhibs
19-07-2014, 12:22 PM
I'm only guessing here, but if indeed we are looking for better quality, then maybe we have more money than we think?

And the only person that can realistically come from is STF, otherwise its as before and only season ticket money.

Stubbs has said he will only sign quality over quantity, maybe he's waiting until the English clubs have taken stock of who's staying and who's going, then who's available for loans, then spending what we have on wages for those types? :dunno:

JimBHibees
19-07-2014, 12:50 PM
Stubbs has said he will only sign quality over quantity, maybe he's waiting until the English clubs have taken stock of who's staying and who's going, then who's available for loans, then spending what we have on wages for those types? :dunno:

I think that is right he will be waiting on the English market to start moving.

HIBERNIAN-0762
19-07-2014, 01:01 PM

Agreed...

GreenLake
19-07-2014, 01:04 PM
We are going to see Man Utd vs LA Galaxy on Thursday night and Man Utd train in an open session on Tuesday night, both at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. I've been here years and never been to see the LA Galaxy or the Rose Bowl although I saw Beckham pass me one day on this very cool bike (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2219380/David-Beckham-whips-motorbike-picking-healthy-green-juice-Hollywood.html).

If I get close enough to any of their team I have two important requests. First, ask Giggs, Scholes, Butt or Neville to send Alan Stubbs a couple of players on loan. Second, please sign a Man Utd shirt so I can ship it home to auction for Kicks for Kids.

Borderhibbie76
19-07-2014, 01:11 PM

So how come other clubs are managing to sign players then? ? Why is it just Hibs having a problem? Wages? Morale? Penny pinching? ?

The Leith Dutch
19-07-2014, 01:14 PM
We are going to see Man Utd vs LA Galaxy on Thursday night and Man Utd train in an open session on Tuesday night, both at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. I've been here years and never been to see the LA Galaxy or the Rose Bowl although I saw Beckham pass me one day on this very cool bike (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2219380/David-Beckham-whips-motorbike-picking-healthy-green-juice-Hollywood.html).

If I get close enough to any of their team I have two important requests. First, ask Giggs, Scholes, Butt or Neville to send Alan Stubbs a couple of players on loan. Second, please sign a Man Utd shirt so I can ship it home to auction for Kicks for Kids.

I'd take Giggs, Scholes, Butt and Neville for the first team.....

blackpoolhibs
19-07-2014, 01:26 PM

It will be the market he knows more about. :pray:

The_Horde
19-07-2014, 02:06 PM

Livi released more players than we did and have signed players like Michael McKenna from mussy athletic.

FranckSuzy
19-07-2014, 02:11 PM

Nice one, K :greengrin

sahib
19-07-2014, 05:41 PM
That was utter keech re 3/4 players..

Of course it was, they must think we are stupid. How can you sign 0.75 of a player?

Mr White
19-07-2014, 06:02 PM
Of course it was, they must think we are stupid. How can you sign 0.75 of a player?

You sign andy goram and divide him by 2.6666666666666.

HFC 0-7
19-07-2014, 06:04 PM
;4101118']Livi released more players than we did and have signed players like Michael McKenna from mussy athletic.

My point is that we are not signing enough players and we are getting close to the start of the season, these other teams have much more of a chance of hitting the ground running. I understand what people are saying about quality but quality can be tied up early in the transfer window, it doesnt have to be late on. The person i was responding to was suggesting that this sort of signing policy can cause us to go right up to the 31st august or thereabouts. Perfect if you can get those players in but what seems to have happened in the past is that these players dont sign for one reason or another forcing us into signing some of the dregs that are left.

we are told that Hibs are changing etc etc. They are desparate for us to buy more ST's yet give us nothing to get excited about, IMO very little has changed

weecounty hibby
19-07-2014, 06:12 PM

And of those 44 signings how many of them would have had you screaming that they were pish, not good enough, not Hibs class etc etc. what a crap analogy. Only miller for the Huns and maybe, just maybe the keeper hearts signed from palace or mcdonald.

NOLA
19-07-2014, 06:47 PM
hope its not loans, both LD/AS have said they want to get away from filling our squad with loanees or have i picked that up wrong :dunno:

JimBHibees
19-07-2014, 06:49 PM
hope its not loans, both LD/AS have said they want to get away from filling our squad with loanees or have i picked that up wrong :dunno:

Couple of. Quality loans would serve us well in addition to signed players.

The Leith Dutch
19-07-2014, 06:55 PM

Inclined to agree.

The biggest problem with the loans we've had in recent seasons is not that they've been loans but the dressing room they've come in to.

High player turnover and a lack of seasoned pros that have been with the club for a few years has left us without anyone to let new players - be they loans or signings - know what it means to play for the club.

Tyler Durden
19-07-2014, 06:58 PM
And of those 44 signings how many of them would have had you screaming that they were pish, not good enough, not Hibs class etc etc. what a crap analogy. Only miller for the Huns and maybe, just maybe the keeper hearts signed from palace or mcdonald.

Firstly he did not make any analogy.

Second - you again miss the point. Nobody is saying we should have signed the actual players these other teams have added. Those teams are working within their own parameters and are prepared for the season within their own budget.

We are clearly not on schedule for our rebuild. If it all works out by 31st August that would be nice but we'll be 4 games down. Fans have seen the same scenario play out before with a lack of quality secured so it's understandable people are sceptical. Not the fault of Alan Stubbs but this is far from ideal prep for a new season

NOLA
19-07-2014, 07:00 PM
the other teams in this division have much more settled squads, so less need to bring in many players, we got rid of alot of players either 1st team or on the fringes of it, we need more established recognised players that you could say "hes in the starting line-up easy" im worried we spent our budget on the backroom staff and we are looking to bring in a few loans to boost what we have, in saying that im happy stubbs has the support team he wanted behind him but if it means we are going with what we had last season then IMO we arent in the running for promotion this year, next year hopefully, happy to be proved wrong by the club of course, only time will tell, if we havnt signed a 1st choice goalie by next friday i really will wet the blanket :wink:

HFC 0-7
19-07-2014, 07:00 PM

The point is, they are making signings, more than we are making. Is it just hibs signing policy that is different to everyone's? The same signing policy, it seems, that has made us go backwards in recent years. The 2 players hibs have signed don't stand out more than some of the players other teams have signed IMO.

Look ok at the premiership and probably 9 of the teams have signed more than us, Celtic and st johnstone, teams who already have good teams have signed less. Getting players in early seems to be good enough for every other team apart from hibs.

Lucius Apuleius
19-07-2014, 07:29 PM
How many threads are there on here with people saying they would rather have two or three class players on higher wagesthan five or sixon less wages? Quite a few. Class players would rather not play in the championship . We do not want to sign rubbish then regret it later. Much better to sign some class later and they should be good enough to meld with the rest of the team.

Mibbes Aye
19-07-2014, 08:07 PM
Firstly he did not make any analogy.

Second - you again miss the point. Nobody is saying we should have signed the actual players these other teams have added. Those teams are working within their own parameters and are prepared for the season within their own budget.

We are clearly not on schedule for our rebuild. If it all works out by 31st August that would be nice but we'll be 4 games down. Fans have seen the same scenario play out before with a lack of quality secured so it's understandable people are sceptical. Not the fault of Alan Stubbs but this is far from ideal prep for a new season

Like you know Alan Stubbs' schedule.

Or like a manager in modern football can have a definitive schedule.

Do you think Sky Sports spend a fortune on transfer deadline day programming just because of Hibs?

It's the nature of the market.

When we signed Derek Riordan, probably Sol Bamba too, it was always going to be on the last day. Couldn't be otherwise.

If we seriously have good targets in mind then it's likely that they won't commit until later in the window - what's so hard to understand about that?

Dirkster23
19-07-2014, 08:20 PM
How many threads are there on here with people saying they would rather have two or three class players on higher wagesthan five or sixon less wages? Quite a few. Class players would rather not play in the championship . We do not want to sign rubbish then regret it later. Much better to sign some class later and they should be good enough to meld with the rest of the team.

And what do we do if these last minute signings fall through as they have in previous years? We're not looking for a last minute bargain, these are meant to be crucial additions to our squad.

Turkish Green
19-07-2014, 08:25 PM
The thing about class players is that for a club in the Championship they are either on the way down or on the way up. Those on the way down are maybe past their best and those on the way up are likely an unknown risk.

I trust AS to identify they players he wants even if it is taking slower than we would like.

Lucius Apuleius
19-07-2014, 08:44 PM
And what do we do if these last minute signings fall through as they have in previous years? We're not looking for a last minute bargain, these are meant to be crucial additions to our squad.

If they fall through we have to fall back on others. I would still rather wait and keep trying to bring in a better class of player rsther than fill the team with journeymen.

Dirkster23
19-07-2014, 08:53 PM
If they fall through we have to fall back on others. I would still rather wait and keep trying to bring in a better class of player rsther than fill the team with journeymen.

Unfortunately, recent history shows we still end up signing journeymen when the last minute deals fail.

Mibbes Aye
19-07-2014, 08:57 PM

Just out of curiosity, can you list all these signings that fell through at the last minute? You said they happened in previous years, it would be good to be reminded. And for accuracy, you can tell us why they fell through, just in case it wasn't the club's fault?

And also, how you are sure they would have made a difference?

I'm not alone, I'm sure, in thinking that Jonatan Johannson would tear it up for us, goals galore - sadly it didn't pan out like that.

To be fair, I think we both want the same thing - Hibs to be signing decent players now. I do think that we can't get certain players until the end so we wont have the luxury of them doing pre-season.

Whether that's okay will be a judgement in hindsight I guess.......

Lucius Apuleius
19-07-2014, 09:01 PM
Unfortunately, recent history shows we still end up signing journeymen when the last minute deals fail.

I would echo Mibbees comment. What about last season when we brought players in early?

livi hibby
19-07-2014, 09:01 PM
can someone here tell me what is going to make every one happy all we here is quality players class players don't think who we sign will be good enough in some people`s eye`s unless the class and quality players are just coming back from the world cup

WestStandMoaner
19-07-2014, 09:19 PM
The point is, they are making signings, more than we are making. Is it just hibs signing policy that is different to everyone's? The same signing policy, it seems, that has made us go backwards in recent years. The 2 players hibs have signed don't stand out more than some of the players other teams have signed IMO.

Look ok at the premiership and probably 9 of the teams have signed more than us, Celtic and st johnstone, teams who already have good teams have signed less. Getting players in early seems to be good enough for every other team apart from hibs.

My understanding is Stubbs feels all the crap players are made available first, hence all these teams signing frees. Then the better quality players come back for pre season, the managers and don't forget there can be a lot of new managers start too access the players they have available. Only after accessing their squad will they then start to look for any additions, at this point better quality players will come available as teams start to strengthen and move players on, players will go out on loan etc. I think we will sign one or two loans but decent ones, complimented with one or two really good quality signings. I think we will see players coming in over the next ten days.

Well this is what I have convinced myself will happen

Dirkster23
19-07-2014, 09:29 PM
Just out of curiosity, can you list all these signings that fell through at the last minute? You said they happened in previous years, it would be good to be reminded. And for accuracy, you can tell us why they fell through, just in case it wasn't the club's fault?

And also, how you are sure they would have made a difference?

I'm not alone, I'm sure, in thinking that Jonatan Johannson would tear it up for us, goals galore - sadly it didn't pan out like that.

To be fair, I think we both want the same thing - Hibs to be signing decent players now. I do think that we can't get certain players until the end so we wont have the luxury of them doing pre-season.

Whether that's okay will be a judgement in hindsight I guess.......

No i can't list them as the club don't state the players they tried to sign but failed. However, managers have stated in the past that deals fell through as the window closed. Again, I don't know if this was down to the club or the player, do you? out of interest, how many of the guys we added right as the window closed or just after would you say were a success over the last couple of years?

Would these players have made a difference? I don't know, but I'd have to go with the managers judgement that they were an upgrade on what we had at the time.

I'm happy to wait and try to pick up a couple of guys near the end of the season, but I am getting concerned we're looking to do most of our business then. We had a terrible team this year and even playing in a lower league seem IMO to have a thread bare squad at the moment. I'd rather we had more guys in now and only had a couple to try and get up to match fitness and fit into the team.

As you say, we'll find out how it's going to go in the next few weeks.

AlbertK86
19-07-2014, 09:36 PM
My understanding is Stubbs feels all the crap players are made available first, hence all these teams signing frees. Then the better quality players come back for pre season, the managers and don't forget there can be a lot of new managers start too access the players they have available. Only after accessing their squad will they then start to look for any additions, at this point better quality players will come available as teams start to strengthen and move players on, players will go out on loan etc. I think we will sign one or two loans but decent ones, complimented with one or two really good quality signings. I think we will see players coming in over the next ten days. Well this is what I have convinced myself will happen

Are they accessing or assessing their players ?😉

Dirkster23
19-07-2014, 09:36 PM
I would echo Mibbees comment. What about last season when we brought players in early?

At the end of December they players had us sitting one point off 6th place in the SPL. TB then worked his magic!

WestStandMoaner
19-07-2014, 10:12 PM
Are they accessing or assessing their players ?

Whoops, assessing:na na:

Mibbes Aye
19-07-2014, 11:45 PM
At the end of December they players had us sitting one point off 6th place in the SPL. TB then worked his magic!

I can't be bothered looking back.

What was your suggestion at the end of December - about tactics. Or strategy. Or signings?

I'm not criticising you, just trying to get context :agree:

cabbageandribs1875
19-07-2014, 11:51 PM

that was my opinion straight after the 2nd leg with Hamilton, and it's not changed

Crazyhorse
19-07-2014, 11:58 PM
My understanding is Stubbs feels all the crap players are made available first, hence all these teams signing frees. Then the better quality players come back for pre season, the managers and don't forget there can be a lot of new managers start too access the players they have available. Only after accessing their squad will they then start to look for any additions, at this point better quality players will come available as teams start to strengthen and move players on, players will go out on loan etc. I think we will sign one or two loans but decent ones, complimented with one or two really good quality signings. I think we will see players coming in over the next ten days.

Well this is what I have convinced myself will happen

I hope you are right. Waiting around to sign the 'gems' no one else has noticed has been a disaster in recent years. This strategy would also require that the manager's work is not torpedoed by the moustachioed moron who knows everything about the price of bricks and nothing whatsoever about professional football.

Forza Fred
20-07-2014, 12:09 AM
that was my opinion straight after the 2nd leg with Hamilton, and it's not changed

That is my minimum scenario

Re the lack of players in...

There is an overwhelming wish by many on this forum to believe that with the appointment of LD and AS that our lot will improve exponentially!

This means in my opinion, that in some instances their support, or should I say, stated understanding for a lack of signings so far, is as much ashow of support for THEM personally, as opposed to the actual circumstances.

I too wish Ld and As all the best, just as I wished, Terry Butcher when he came, Pat Fenlon when he came, and so on and so on.

However, to say I am not concerned with our lack of success in the market to date would not be true, and I'm pretty sure most would have been happier to have seen us further down the track in finalising a settled squad by now.

But again at the end of the day, the new regime will be judged on results, irrespective of whether we have a squad of 15 or 35....the incoming manager was aware of what was needed, or certainly should have been, and basically came in with a blank page .

If he stuffs up, then no excuses like....!'I' don't use injuries or suspensions as an excuse, but....."

Nutmegged
20-07-2014, 12:19 AM

I think you are being severely disingenuous in this post mate, I understand the siege mentality style thinking but to suggest Kris Boyd or Darren McGregor wouldn't be welcome at Easter Road or even that Zaliulas isn't better than what we have or James Keatings, who banged in 15 goals in this League last year...its easy to say how many would improve, the point is ALL teams seem to be striving to improve their squads and are actively doing so.

For the record I'd rather Stubbs took his time and signed the right players than rush through any old signing for the sake of it however the manager and the CEO just have to accept that actions will speak louder than words for many at the moment, the fans have been battered from pillar to post for years, trust and patience will be afforded in time but for now trust will unfortunately have to be earned and patience is something I doubt most Hibees have right now and quite rightly so

Nutmegged
20-07-2014, 12:29 AM

What was your suggestion at the end of December - about tactics. Or strategy. Or signings?

At the end of December I thought it was obvious we needed pace, I was looking for a pacey winger and was hoping we could finally het Lyle Taylor in on loan and felt we were crying out for a bit of creativity in the middle of the park, I was still convinced James Collins would come good for us though if we gave him enough ammunition

Sweet Left Peg
20-07-2014, 04:19 AM
You sign andy goram and divide him by 2.6666666666666.

I would have associated Andy Goram more with the number 3.1415926535..........

HH81
20-07-2014, 05:06 AM
At the end of December I thought it was obvious we needed pace, I was looking for a pacey winger and was hoping we could finally het Lyle Taylor in on loan and felt we were crying out for a bit of creativity in the middle of the park, I was still convinced James Collins would come good for us though if we gave him enough ammunition

I bet Collins scores a fair few this season in a higher standard than were at.

bingo70
20-07-2014, 07:57 AM
Anything in the papers today about us signing anyone?

Turkish Green
20-07-2014, 08:07 AM
Anything in the papers today about us signing anyone?

It would only be rumours. It is the weekend and I suspect AS is away home to spend time with his family. The search will resume again on Monday, I presume.

in this instance no news is not good news.

Iggy Pope
20-07-2014, 08:08 AM

Two and a half yards with no goalie,. in a derby, obviously was not the 'ammunition' he really needed maybe?

Tyler Durden
20-07-2014, 08:22 AM
Like you know Alan Stubbs' schedule.

Or like a manager in modern football can have a definitive schedule.

Do you think Sky Sports spend a fortune on transfer deadline day programming just because of Hibs?

It's the nature of the market.

When we signed Derek Riordan, probably Sol Bamba too, it was always going to be on the last day. Couldn't be otherwise.

If we seriously have good targets in mind then it's likely that they won't commit until later in the window - what's so hard to understand about that?

It's quite obvious we are not on track, think what you want of that.

Your argument seems to be we can only ever sign quality in late August? Really. So that again ignores all the other teams who have identified players and signed them early. Most Scottish clubs will add 1 or 2 players on deadline day, not the nucleus of a squad. The ones you mention are probably the last deadline day arrivals who were actually a success for Hibs. 5/6 years ago!

Stubbs late arrival hasn't helped but so far Dempster hasn't delivered on her various contacts she highlighted. As another poster pointed out, actions speak louder than words.

The Falcon
20-07-2014, 08:23 AM

Dont really see the problem with loans tbh.

Tyler Durden
20-07-2014, 08:23 AM

Is he gonna move on again? Shrewsbury higher level?

Tyler Durden
20-07-2014, 08:24 AM

We still signed Heffernan and Zoubir on deadline day to address perceived gaps in the squad. Worked out a treat

HH81
20-07-2014, 08:34 AM
Is he gonna move on again? Shrewsbury higher level?

League two standard in England is higher than most Scottish Championship sides.

AlbertK86
20-07-2014, 08:49 AM
It would only be rumours. It is the weekend and I suspect AS is away home to spend time with his family. The search will resume again on Monday, I presume. in this instance no news is not good news.

Eh hope he ain't away home as we have a preseason friendly in Stirling this afternoon !!!!😉

emerald green
20-07-2014, 09:10 AM

If true, that is really depressing.

LancsHibs
20-07-2014, 09:22 AM
If true, that is really depressing.

If you take out us, them and The Huns it's very true both in attendances, player budgets/standards and football quality. We really do find ourselves at an embarrassingly low level. Thanks Butcher

easty
20-07-2014, 09:23 AM

Aye I'm sure he will. While he missed a few sitters we didn't play the right way to get him going. El Alagui will need far better service.

Stuarty27
20-07-2014, 09:25 AM
Whoever thinks we are in a good position at this minute is kidding themselves on here.

Simple mathematics would say we were short of players and what we are left with are the players that got us relegated last season.

Call me a bed wetter or whatever I am seriously worried about the future of the club. Alan Stubbs seems to be a great coach and is talking a good game but he is not a miracle worker. If we go into the season with A young goalkeeper, Michael Nelson and Liam Craig as the main spine of the team then we have no chance.

Nelson is one of the worst centre half ever to play for Hibs and alongside a number of others who some have left and stayed are the reason we are in this mess and to think we are going to give this huddy another chance makes we actually really angry.

The way I read it is, Stubbs has identified his targets and they have either signed for someone else or are waiting to decide. We can't wait for ever for these so called quality players. You could argue you could get 11 less quailty players working together as a team with a good pre season together than bringing in better quality a day for the season starts and there is no time to work with them and before you know it we are off the pace before these so called quality players are fit!

emerald green
20-07-2014, 09:44 AM
If you take out us, them and The Huns it's very true both in attendances, player budgets/standards and football quality. We really do find ourselves at an embarrassingly low level. Thanks Butcher

I suppose that sums things up fairly well Lancs. Not good really.

Dirkster23
20-07-2014, 10:02 AM

You seem to be happy firing questions at me whilst dodging the ones i put your way.

Tyler Durden
20-07-2014, 10:21 AM

Not this season.

Don't see Collins scoring many goals anywhere. Terrible player

HH81
20-07-2014, 10:53 AM
Not this season.

Don't see Collins scoring many goals anywhere. Terrible player

He will get 15+ £20 quid charity bet?

GreenCastle
20-07-2014, 11:10 AM
Last season's favorite phrase was "it was Fenlons players"

This season so far its "quality over quantity"

Amazing if posters repeat the same line several times other posters start to believe and repeat it.

I really hope these quality players arrive soon.

Tyler Durden
20-07-2014, 11:32 AM
He will get 15+ £20 quid charity bet?

Done! You can remind me later in the season.