PDA

View Full Version : Who has Vic Australia Reg Plate HIBS?

CFC1892
07-07-2014, 09:15 AM
Getting home tonight I took a lift with the boss and ended up on the freeway (Tullamarine, Melbourne, VIC, Aus) behind a car with the reg HIBS
We pulled up next to him on the off ramp to Moreland RD and I was wearing a Hibs top so I pushed out the crest and waved at him. He gave me a big smile and thumbs up!!! Just wondered if he posted here?
(Know this may not be a big deal in Scotland, but I can't remember when I've bumped into a Hibs supporter here.)

Anyway - good to see there's at least two of us in the inner north of Melbourne!

Keith_M
07-07-2014, 09:17 AM
Getting home tonight I took a lift with the boss and ended up on the freeway (Tullamarine, Melbourne, VIC, Aus) behind a car with the reg HIBS
We pulled up next to him on the off ramp to Moreland RD and I was wearing a Hibs top so I pushed out the crest and waved at him. He gave me a big smile and thumbs up!!! Just wondered if he posted here?
(Know this may not be a big deal in Scotland, but I can't remember when I've bumped into a Hibs supporter here.)

Anyway - good to see there's at least two of us in the inner north of Melbourne!

Hope you find him mate.

Excuse the noseyness, but just wondering what CFC stood for. Is that an Aussie Rules team?

CFC1892
07-07-2014, 09:21 AM
Hope you find him mate.

Excuse the noseyness, but just wondering what CFC stood for. Is that an Aussie Rules team?

Collingwood Football Club (Aussie Rules team formed in 1892 in the Irish Catholic suburb (mainly) of Melbourne) - I find a lot of similarities with the history of both my clubs though my Aus Rules team is pretty much love us or hate us and most people hate us!

CMac1988
07-07-2014, 09:23 AM
Prolonging the nosey!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Collingwood_Football_Club

Keith_M
07-07-2014, 09:32 AM
Collingwood Football Club (Aussie Rules team formed in 1892 in the Irish Catholic suburb (mainly) of Melbourne) - I find a lot of similarities with the history of both my clubs though my Aus Rules team is pretty much love us or hate us and most people hate us!

Cheers

I'm off to read all about them

:thumbsup:

cabbageandribs1875
07-07-2014, 09:35 AM
that will take two hours to read, can we get the shorthand version of why they are loved....and hated :greengrin

CFC1892
07-07-2014, 09:36 AM
Prolonging the nosey!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Collingwood_Football_Club

That's the club! The wiki history doesn't show that Collingwood was at a low point of land and that when the ***** left the richer suburbs it flowed through Collingwood's streets.
It doesn't mention that we were called the purloiners because they thought we were thieves - (being mainly irish and poor)
The suburb was mainly boot factories at the turn of the 20th century.

Anyway, like I said, there's a lot of similarities in the two clubs' history - including a barren time of no premierships. The difference is our league has a salary cap that applies to nearly all clubs, so even though Collingwood "SEEMS" to have the most supporters nationwide, and has a lot of cash now, that hasn't necessarily transformed into premiership success.

CFC1892
07-07-2014, 09:44 AM
that will take two hours to read, can we get the shorthand version of why they are loved....and hated :greengrin

We were a poor club that won the premiership 11 times between 1902 and 1936 (although we've only won four since). Establishment clubs didn't expect CFC to be successful I guess and didn't like the club.

Interesting that the dislike of my team is indoctrinated from parent to child, the same way my bo and girl were ALWAYS going to barrack for Collingwood, even though the success they were envious of has well past.

(Also we have played off in 42 grand finals for 15 wins 2 draws and 25 losses! So a lot of opposition supporters take the piss that we lose grand finals - even referring to us as the Colliwobbles!)

BOB MARLEYS DUG
07-07-2014, 09:46 AM
All hail the Austalian Hibees :thumbsup:

Hope you find him mate!

WellingtonHibby
07-07-2014, 09:56 AM
Think it's a guy called Chris Macintyre. usually seen at the dickens for hibs game.

CFC1892
07-07-2014, 10:01 AM
Think it's a guy called Chris Macintyre. usually seen at the dickens for hibs game.

Thanks Brighton - that's the pub in Collins Street!
I might see him there if/when they show our games this year

Big90inOz
07-07-2014, 10:11 AM
Collingwood= the Australian version of Man Utd................ Go the Dockers !!!!:na na:

Your in the wrong city, should have come to Perth, Blue skies, sunshine and more than its fair share of Hibby's

CFC1892
07-07-2014, 10:14 AM
Collingwood= the Australian version of Man Utd................ Go the Dockers !!!!:na na:

Your in the wrong city, should have come to Perth, Blue skies, sunshine and more than its fair share of Hibby's

Born here to Hibs Dad so Melbourne is it (though I lived in Perth 1990 - Beaufort St Mt Lawley opposite Astor Theatre - great year!!)

I'd say the ManU have had a bit more recent success than my mob???

scm70nyd1973
07-07-2014, 10:17 AM

Not Chris but it is his mate's car - his name is Ian Carmichael and he lives in Pascoe Vale. Good guy - well obviously coz he's a Hibby ! Watched the NY derby at his pad (with Chris) -he didn't even know me but invited me up to his to watch the game - I had only just arrived in Melbourne and had no idea of where to see the game. Saw the car and was uber jealous. I have seen two other plates with Hibs connections (Hibby & Hibbie) in my travels around Brighton, Hampton & Sandringham.

ChilliEater
07-07-2014, 10:25 AM
I've always viewed Collingwood (by "always", I mean "since I've been watching AFL", which equates to 9 years, rather than the 40+ I've been watching football :wink:) as being an Australian version of the Huns.
Now Fremantle - there's the true AFL Hibees :greengrin - from the port, purple and green prominent in the colours, obnoxious city neighbours backed by the establishment, perennial under-achievers, intelligent and good looking supporters - the similarities are endless :thumbsup:

WellingtonHibby
07-07-2014, 10:31 AM
Not Chris but it is his mate's car - his name is Ian Carmichael and he lives in Pascoe Vale. Good guy - well obviously coz he's a Hibby ! Watched the NY derby at his pad (with Chris) -he didn't even know me but invited me up to his to watch the game - I had only just arrived in Melbourne and had no idea of where to see the game. Saw the car and was uber jealous. I have seen two other plates with Hibs connections (Hibby & Hibbie) in my travels around Brighton, Hampton & Sandringham.

Knew it was either or! They are a cracking double act those two. Had a good few nights with them watching us get gubbed.

WellingtonHibby
07-07-2014, 10:33 AM
I've always viewed Collingwood (by "always", I mean "since I've been watching AFL", which equates to 9 years, rather than the 40+ I've been watching football :wink:) as being an Australian version of the Huns.
Now Fremantle - there's the true AFL Hibees :greengrin - from the port, purple and green prominent in the colours, obnoxious city neighbours backed by the establishment, perennial under-achievers, intelligent and good looking supporters - the similarities are endless :thumbsup:

Absolutely the Huns of afl. If they sold buckie here, they would swill it

CFC1892
07-07-2014, 10:42 AM

Hi Suffolk,

I can understand why you think Collingwood has similarities with "The" Rangers, as we were both formed from Irish immigrant suburbs, we both had strong Catholic connections such as being supported by the Melbourne Archbishop Mannix in the 30s, we both had f all success from 1958 through to 1990, and we were both hated during our early success because we were predominately Poor and not deemed worthy:-) Other than that, the two teams don't appear to bve that similar ;-)

ChilliEater
07-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Hi Suffolk,

I can understand why you think Collingwood has similarities with "The" Rangers, as we were both formed from Irish immigrant suburbs, we both had strong Catholic connections such as being supported by the Melbourne Archbishop Mannix in the 30s, we both had f all success from 1958 through to 1990, and we were both hated during our early success because we were predominately Poor and not deemed worthy:-) Other than that, the two teams don't appear to bve that similar ;-)

:greengrin hard to tell them apart :wink:

CFC1892
07-07-2014, 10:56 AM
:greengrin hard to tell them apart :wink:

Suffolk my friend,
I feel you might be poking me, but i don't want to go on about my misunderstood AFL team on a hibs forum - as i have for the past 5 - 7 posts:wink: - so I am just glad to see a Hibbie in inner north of Melbourne driving around proud as f****
PS
For those who know AFL - and Collingwood supporter's reputation - I have to let you know I have all my own teeth :wink:

scm70nyd1973
07-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Now Fremantle - there's the true AFL Hibees :greengrin - from the port, purple and green prominent in the colours, obnoxious city neighbours backed by the establishment, perennial under-achievers, intelligent and good looking supporters - the similarities are endless
Been here 9 months - decided to go for the Dockers simply because of the Hibby purple connection - from what you are saying then it has been a good decision. In football terms as a Hibby I am no glory hunter that is for sure but in going for the Dockers it might seem like I am like acting like a Hun or a Soap Dodger - suppose if they do win something big then it would make a change for me - why not http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

Big90inOz
07-07-2014, 11:08 AM
Suffolk my friend,
I feel you might be poking me, but i don't want to go on about my misunderstood AFL team on a hibs forum - as i have for the past 5 - 7 posts:wink: - so I am just glad to see a Hibbie in inner north of Melbourne driving around proud as f****
PS
For those who know AFL - and Collingwood supporter's reputation - I have to let you know I have all my own teeth :wink:

Smile. :greengrin

I don't dislike Collingwood, I just prefer the team playing them :na na:

Bristolhibby
07-07-2014, 11:43 AM
Intresting wee conversation about Australian rules footie.

My brother-in-law lives up in Airlie Beach in Queensland with his Australian wife, so havent got down to Melbourne or Perth.

Up there it is mostly Rugby League. Went to watch the north Queensland Cowboys up in Townsville last time I was out back in 2009. Had a great time. Nightmare drive back down to Airlie the next day, with me sleeping on the back seat most of the journey. Rough as a bagers arse.

J

Jamesie
07-07-2014, 12:15 PM

Ian Carmichael - that's a blast from the past! Enjoyed a fair few scoops with Ian some ten years ago in and around the time of the CIS Cup Final in 2004, which we had screened at the Celtic (keltic ;-)) Club in the CBD thanks to the help of Sir Tom!

Shearer
07-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Born here to Hibs Dad so Melbourne is it (though I lived in Perth 1990 - Beaufort St Mt Lawley opposite Astor Theatre - great year!!)

I'd say the ManU have had a bit more recent success than my mob???

I actually live in Mount Lawley now, great place and a good few hibbies about!

Personally my AFL team are North Melbourne we're having a great year so far!

FranckSuzy
07-07-2014, 01:47 PM
My brother has got either Hibs1 or HibsFC on a racing green Range Rover in Melbourne but canny mind which :tee hee: He's Hibs daft :greengrin

1875HFC
07-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Used to see this car a lot when I lived in Melbourne this last year and Ian Carmichael is a great Hibby. He organises the Hibs Burns Supper in Melbourne. A lot of good hobbies down under :flag:

Lucius Apuleius
07-07-2014, 03:12 PM
Is Fenians still open in Melbourne? Used to watch football there quite often. Best pub in the area inthe old days wasthe George Hotel in St Kilda. Many happy memories. 😎

Zondervan
07-07-2014, 07:50 PM
My brother has got either Hibs1 or HibsFC on a racing green Range Rover in Melbourne but canny mind which :tee hee: He's Hibs daft :greengrin

This one?!

H18sry
07-07-2014, 08:54 PM
Used to see this car a lot when I lived in Melbourne this last year and Ian Carmichael is a great Hibby. He organises the Hibs Burns Supper in Melbourne. A lot of good hobbies down under :flag:

Like golf and fishing :greengrin

Forza Fred
07-07-2014, 09:03 PM
Lots of Hibbies down under with Hibs related number plates, from Perth to Sydney, and in between.

Many years ago I had the number plate Hibees, but as at that time it cost 250 dollars a year extra to just renew the registration the wife made an executive decision to get rid of them and squander the money on food ant rent instead.

Zorro
07-07-2014, 09:07 PM
Loving the Aussie Rules chat! From my time in Oz I, like a few others, pinned my colours to the Freo mast. Mainly cos I first stayed in Perth, and as has been said they play in green and purple and hail from a port town! But also cos it noised up my Eagles supporting friends! When I was there the Dockers were totally honking and I think I only saw them win once, and a couple of real gubbings from West Coast. Glad to see they are on the up and was gutted they lost the Grand Final this year - like the Hibs there's always next year! :)

It's a great game.

FranckSuzy
07-07-2014, 10:44 PM
This one?!

Cheers A! That's the felly :greengrin