PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs Wants To Keep Craig

hfc rd
06-07-2014, 11:30 AM
From the BBC gossip column:

Hibernian manager Alan Stubbs wants Liam Craig to stay at the club, despite the midfielder being told by former boss Terry Butcher that he was free to leave Easter Road.

Wasn't there yesterday, so can't really comment on how he done. But if Stubbs can get him playing the same way he did during the New Year derby then I'd be very pleased for Liam Craig to stay.

Nutmegged
06-07-2014, 11:33 AM
We're a Championship club now, Liam Craig can reach a standard of play and consistency in his game that is far higher than this standard, he proved it year on year with St Johnstone, now its up to Alan Stubbs to get the best out of him for the good of the club and the player.

Steve20
06-07-2014, 11:37 AM
Craig wasn't great last season, but there is a player in there. If he's played in the right position, I still think he's someone that can get us a lot of goals from midfield this season.

Diclonius
06-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Fair enough. Strip him of the captaincy though, let him concentrate on his game.

HappyAsHellas
06-07-2014, 11:40 AM
Liam Craig was one of the best on show yesterday, always involved, always wanting the ball and trying to set up attacking moves. The opposition was not of the highest standard in the world, but his determination and passion was there for all to see. How Butcher managed to turn this football player into someone who could only pass backwards, or as another poster noted, chest the ball then hoof it up the park, is quite simply beyond comprehension. If he keeps up this sort of attitude, then I see no reason as to why he wouldn't make a worthy club captain.

--------
06-07-2014, 11:41 AM
He was interviewed on Sky after the game yesterday as "Hibs' captain"; came over as very positive and while he wouldn't comment on anything to do with Butcher and last season I'd say he looked a lot more relaxed, happy, and positive than he has for a long while.

Much as some don't want to admit it, Liam Craig is a more than decent player and one we need to hold on to. He's not a hoofballer and I would hazard a wild guess and suggest he isn't looking to be elected President of the Terry Butcher Fan Club any time soon.

He had 9 goals around the halfway mark last season and should have been in double figures easily had it not been for the major and disastrous change of tactics instigated by Raging Bull around the end of January.

He looked pretty lean and fit, too.

Eyrie
06-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Craig was a good player for St Johnstone, to the extent that there were complaints on here that we wouldn't meet their asking price for an early release when he signed the pre-contract.

I was disappointed* by his performances towards the end of last season but expect him to play better this year for three reasons - he feels wanted, we're playing the ball on the deck and the opposition won't be as good. Being captain may have burdened him, so a change there would help.

*Revisionist way of saying annoyed, p'd off, raging, contemptuous etc.

Nutmegged
06-07-2014, 11:46 AM
I'd also take the captaincy off him but I'd do it in a way where we sell it to him as being in his best interests rather than seen as a demotion

BOB MARLEYS DUG
06-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Good news!

wick hibby
06-07-2014, 11:52 AM
GOOD :greengrin

Bobby's Cinema
06-07-2014, 11:56 AM
Its not going to be easy, but to give those that were involved last season a clean slate is the best thing we can do as fans.

PeterboroHibee
06-07-2014, 11:56 AM
He was poor for a large part of last season, but I think that quite a few players in our squad are capable of performances that would justify them being at a higher level (weve seen them do it at other SPL clubs!). If Stubbs can get the most out of them then we may have a decent basis of a squad for next season.

Scònaldò
06-07-2014, 11:58 AM
Should have been punted after his displays last season IMO.

--------
06-07-2014, 12:01 PM
Craig was a good player for St Johnstone, to the extent that there were complaints on here that we wouldn't meet their asking price for an early release when he signed the pre-contract.

I was disappointed* by his performances towards the end of last season but expect him to play better this year for three reasons - he feels wanted, we're playing the ball on the deck and the opposition won't be as good. Being captain may have burdened him, so a change there would help.

*Revisionist way of saying annoyed, p'd off, raging, contemptuous etc.

I'd also take the captaincy off him but I'd do it in a way where we sell it to him as being in his best interests rather than seen as a demotion

I wouldn't. His form during the last few months of last season was nothing to do with the captaincy. Much more to do with the management regime and the way they were dealing with him and a number of other players like him, and the fact that he was being told to play in a way that was entirely foreign to him. He wasn't the only guy in this position, btw - Butcher's main 'motivational' tactic seems to have been to roar and yell and tell players they were rubbish and not fit to wear the jersey.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the guys who were there yesterday are saying that Alex Harris looked a lot more like his old self as well.

My question about taking the armband from is - who else do you give it to? We don't have so many senior professionals left right now. There are the players who were out yesterday, plus Heffernan, Caldwell, and Robertson - of whom Heffernan was injured, and the other two no one seems to know about.

After the way Butcher and Malpas carried on, I'm just glad we still have the players we have - they seemed to be determined to sack the whole of last season's squad.

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-07-2014, 12:01 PM
Hope that Stubbs has the basic common sense to tell the players he has inherited, that what has gone before is history.
This is the bit that Blootcher seemed to miss.

Tricla
06-07-2014, 12:02 PM

Glad you're no in charge

--------
06-07-2014, 12:13 PM
Its not going to be easy, but to give those that were involved last season a clean slate is the best thing we can do as fans.

:agree: Absolutely. Last season's history. Butcher and Malpas are gone. The only question is how the players we have in the squad play for Alan Stubbs NOW.

However, the way it seems to work in some folks' minds is that if the players who played in a relegation season stay, they have to be made to suffer for the failure of the previous season.

They're RUBBISH and should never play for Hibs EVER AGAIN.

If they leave, they're rats leaving the sinking ship and should have stayed to put right the disaster for which they were responsible.

They're TRAITORS and should never play for Hibs EVER AGAIN.

IIRC that's the way it worked last time we went down, anyway. :wink:

(You may be able to spot a logical flaw in this way of seeing things. Unfortunately those who see things this way believe it's the only way to see things, and are aware of no illogicality whatsoever. And they tend to take a LOOOOOOOONG time to shut up.)

BOB MARLEYS DUG
06-07-2014, 12:17 PM
Glad LC is being kept on. From what I'm told the players really like him (Stubbs) and the freshness of his training.

Good news IMO.

Billy Whizz
06-07-2014, 12:23 PM
I'd keep him, he's a far better player than he showed at the end of last season

Dave-O
06-07-2014, 12:30 PM
I wonder if anyone has the time to troll back through the threads from the tail end of last season to see what the peeps who think it's great that he's staying thought of him then, I'm not a forgive and forget sort of person, especially when it comes to the part they played in a relegation season, and not interested in what he did at ST Johnstone, only in what he did with us, which wasnt a lot, we'll see after the window closes how this new found enthusiasm and energy lasts before we start to here how we should have launched him and Nelson et al when we had the chance. :wink:

Eyrie
06-07-2014, 12:31 PM
My question about taking the armband from is - who else do you give it to? We don't have so many senior professionals left right now. There are the players who were out yesterday, plus Heffernan, Caldwell, and Robertson - of whom Heffernan was injured, and the other two no one seems to know about.

A fair point based on the existing squad - Hanlon is probably too quiet and Nelson may be no more than experienced depth this season. However we could sign someone who is suitable.

Caldwell trained with St Mirren last week and apparently Robertson was missing with a bad back.

Northernhibee
06-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Really pleased to hear - scored some cracking goals under Fenlon and looked like a goal scoring midfielder.

Butcher can never be forgiven by the club - ruined our players, cost the club millions and gave us the worst football to ever grace Easter Road. Awful man manager, awful tactics, awful football.

FWIW I would have no problem with the armband going to Hanlon, Stevenson or Nelson. Hanlon and Stevenson as they are great servants of the club and Nelson as he's an experienced defender and in need of a confidence boost which the captaincy would give.

Jim44
06-07-2014, 01:21 PM
Craig was by far the classiest player on the park yesterday. I hope he stays, captain or not.

Heisenberg
06-07-2014, 01:26 PM
Craig is a proven player at Premier league level. I'd definitely keep him if he is played properly and not as some kind of defensive midfielder/playmaker.

blackpoolhibs
06-07-2014, 01:29 PM
Really pleased to hear - scored some cracking goals under Fenlon and looked like a goal scoring midfielder.

Butcher can never be forgiven by the club - ruined our players, cost the club millions and gave us the worst football to ever grace Easter Road. Awful man manager, awful tactics, awful football.

FWIW I would have no problem with the armband going to Hanlon, Stevenson or Nelson. Hanlon and Stevenson as they are great servants of the club and Nelson as he's an experienced defender and in need of a confidence boost which the captaincy would give.

I remember posting something along the lines before he became our manager, that he was England captain, the huns captain and a horrible man when in the opposition team, and i really should hate him but couldnt and quite liked him as a bloke.

Now after his term as whats laughably called our manager, i can now hate him like i should have before.

Northernhibee
06-07-2014, 01:50 PM
I remember posting something along the lines before he became our manager, that he was England captain, the huns captain and a horrible man when in the opposition team, and i really should hate him but couldnt and quite liked him as a bloke.

Now after his term as whats laughably called our manager, i can now hate him like i should have before.

Butcher took our top goalscorer who was a midfielder - and played him as a defensive midfielder.

Even Pat Fenlon (who I liked) didn't look at Craig and think "he's a central defensive midfielder".

bigwheel
06-07-2014, 02:01 PM
I'll be delighted if Craig stays. He had a horrible second half of last season, but so did everyone - primarily due to the terrible tactics and man management of Butcher. Let's be honest, Craig in his St J form will be a fantastic player for us - so I hope he rolls up his sleeves, digs deep and get to work...scoring goals and making runs..

MSK
06-07-2014, 02:18 PM
I'll be delighted if Craig stays. He had a horrible second half of last season, but so did everyone - primarily due to the terrible tactics and man management of Butcher. Let's be honest, Craig in his St J form will be a fantastic player for us - so I hope he rolls up his sleeves, digs deep and get to work...scoring goals and making runs..Although Craig was playing against lesser opposition yest it was good to see him linking up with the forwards (Harris in particular) playing neat one twos & pressing forward, probing, looking for return balls etc ..there seemed to be a renewed vigour about Craig, he seemed confident, was buzzing about & was pretty positive in his interview...early doors yes but great to see football for a change instead of players hiding & using the ball like a hot spud...:agree:

B.H.F.C
06-07-2014, 02:31 PM
Will score goals in the championship

Lago
06-07-2014, 02:32 PM

Hibernian manager Alan Stubbs wants Liam Craig to stay at the club, despite the midfielder being told by former boss Terry Butcher that he was free to leave Easter Road.

Wasn't there yesterday, so can't really comment on how he done. But if Stubbs can get him playing the same way he did during the New Year derby then I'd be very pleased for Liam Craig to stay.
Excellent news

cmcd
06-07-2014, 02:35 PM

LC played very well yesterday Alan Stubbs has the team playing the ball on the deck which was good to see

edwards
06-07-2014, 02:54 PM
How fickle you lot are on here a couple of months back he was the worst player ever and you wanted him to gtf. He we are back wi our round heads on and he walks on water again make yer midn up :rolleyes:. I really do hope he stays to see the season out in a bid to get us back asap.
Rain check we were playing Vale of Leithen no Sporting Lisbon of course he should be able to shine in games like this :agree:.

Petrie Out

Bruceb1875
06-07-2014, 03:03 PM
Fair enough. Strip him of the captaincy though, let him concentrate on his game.
I Agree. Give him the chance to prove he can play/ wants to play ... Then if he reaches the standard he played while at st Johnstone ... Then maybe/ think bout givin him the captains band. Up to now he hasn't been gd enough IMO . Glory glory:flag::flag:

down-the-slope
06-07-2014, 03:06 PM
He was looking like the player we thought we had signed....

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/scottish-football/9372889/craig-excited-for-new-season-

watch his interview above and make our own mind up about whether he should stay

MSK
06-07-2014, 03:17 PM
How fickle you lot are on here a couple of months back he was the worst player ever and you wanted him to gtf. He we are back wi our round heads on and he walks on water again make yer midn up :rolleyes:. I really do hope he stays to see the season out in a bid to get us back asap.
Rain check we were playing Vale of Leithen no Sporting Lisbon of course he should be able to shine in games like this :agree:.

Petrie OutNo one is disputing the fact that we were playing Vale of leithen, however is it beyond you to accept folks are showing players a bit of encouragement or would you have been happier if folk were still lambasting him ..?

Craig is a decent player who played well below his capabilities last season, hopefully Stubbs will help him get back to the level we expect of him.

HoboHarry
06-07-2014, 03:18 PM
I Agree. Give him the chance to prove he can play/ wants to play ... Then if he reaches the standard he played while at st Johnstone ... Then maybe/ think bout givin him the captains band. Up to now he hasn't been gd enough IMO . Glory glory:flag::flag:
Ok, so you would take away the feel good factor for Liam Craig right now by stripping him of the captaincy and give it to someone else? Then if he plays well you would strip the new captain regardless of how well he was doing and give it back to LC? Brilliant strategy..... LOL

lord bunberry
06-07-2014, 03:39 PM

Petrie Out
Get rid of him then, he'll be no good when we come up against Sporting Lisbon later in the season. Not everyone said he was the worst player ever, some could see he was struggling under Butchers tactics.

--------
06-07-2014, 03:46 PM

Well, I've never said Craig was the worst ever, and I've never posted I wanted him to GTF.

Not even aware that anyone's claiming he now walks on water. I certainly am not.

But - given that we've a very small squad right now, and given that the new manager seems to intend to set the team up to play a ball-on-the-ground, pass-and-move-and-pass-again style, which suits Craig's style a lot better than Butcherball HOOFIT!!!!! style, it seems reasonable to allow the new manager to make his own mind up about the player as opposed to sacking him to satisfy the "I'm not a forgive-and-forget guy" types and their bloodlust for scapegoats.

It also seems reasonable to give Liam Craig a break - the way some folks go on about him, you'd think he relegated us single-handedly, deliberately, and with malice aforethought.

This is a football club, not a punishment battalion.

I think we're well aware it was Vale of Leithen we were playing. Stubbs made it clear in his interview on Sky that his plan yesterday was to get as many players as possible 45 minutes playing time, have a look at a couple of trialists, improve the conditioning of the players who played in the game, and generally take stock of where we are right now. This he did.

Butcher was way out of line when he told the bulk of the squad they were surpolus to requirements last season. Whether he likes it or not, that sort of sweeping clear-out has to go to the board of the club - it's not something one person can just do in a fit of pique, which is what I believe it was. I suspect that this more than anything sealed his own fate with the new CEO.

Thankfully, LD stopped that nonsense dead. The players still on contract with us are now in training with the new coach. No doubt a fair bit of talking has been going on too - Stubbs said yesterday that a lot of work had been happening in the last week or so.

FWIW, I could not have seen Hibs being in shape to make a visit like yesterday's to ANY other football club under the previous management - the atmosphere in the club was far too strained and poisonous. (And I have THAT on very good authority, btw.)

IMO the club needs a completely fresh start, and for that we need to put last season behind us NOW and stop the recriminations about what happened under Butcher and Malpas. A lot of dead wood has been cut out of the club, and Stubbs seems to be more than capable of making reasonable decisions about the future of the players remaining. I think we need to step back and let the man do his job.

WeeRussell
06-07-2014, 04:01 PM

Petrie Out

You've just stated what everyone else has after slagging them for it :confused:

I do agree to a certain extent with the point you are attempting to make though... the bashing that Liam Craig got on here was ridiculous and a lot of the time.. clueless. There are thousands of members on here though, so I wouldn't necessarily make the assumption that it is the same culprits who are now glad to hear that he is staying. I refrained from posting regarding Liam up until now as I seemed to be in a remarkable minority who didn't pin such a huge proportion of the blame for last season's disaster on the laddie (and I am also not a frequent poster in any case). However I maintain he is the type of player we should be looking to hold onto (regardless of the division we ended up in) and that if we shove him out I think we will struggle to get someone in of the same quality.

I'd still have preferred to see us without Nelson this season but other than that... let's have a few players in rather than out now

As for the Sporting Lisbon comment... if there wasn't any way to see how useful a player was in these lesser friendly games then surely there would be no point playing triallists etc in them?

Lucius Apuleius
06-07-2014, 04:18 PM
Well I am one of those who said he could fry along with every other player that played last season. I still feel that way and would not miss any of them if they left. However if Alan Stubbs thinks they are good enough to play and they wear a Hibs strip next season then as always as soon as they pull on that green without whitesleeves strip, they get my support. Simply because we have to, in my opinion, believe that Stubbs knows what he is doing.

Scònaldò
06-07-2014, 04:30 PM
Glad you're no in charge

Yeah luckily for us, butcher was..

I'd like to know what you seen in him last season to suggest he was good enough for a starting place.
He's one of the reasons we got relegated by constantly hoofing it into orbit.

Ronniekirk
06-07-2014, 04:35 PM
He was interviewed on Sky after the game yesterday as "Hibs' captain"; came over as very positive and while he wouldn't comment on anything to do with Butcher and last season I'd say he looked a lot more relaxed, happy, and positive than he has for a long while.

Much as some don't want to admit it, Liam Craig is a more than decent player and one we need to hold on to. He's not a hoofballer and I would hazard a wild guess and suggest he isn't looking to be elected President of the Terry Butcher Fan Club any time soon.

He had 9 goals around the halfway mark last season and should have been in double figures easily had it not been for the major and disastrous change of tactics instigated by Raging Bull around the end of January.

He looked pretty lean and fit, too..
What is it with you and old films Pollyanna yesterday Raging a Bull today De Nero Classic

MWHIBBIES
06-07-2014, 06:24 PM
Good, could easily score 15 goals this season

Kato
06-07-2014, 06:29 PM

I agree. I also agree he has good skills as a footballer. The biggest question mark for me was his character, or lack of it, in games last season - regardless of what the Bull-In-A-China-Shop laid out as tactics.

If he's grown (a pair) from last season then he'll be an asset. Be interesting to see him tested in a match where the chips are down.

Sir David Gray
06-07-2014, 06:38 PM
He's clearly got the ability as his performances showed at St Johnstone but his performances last season were awful, particularly in the final few months of the season.

If he stays then I'm willing to give him a chance but I would need to see a massive improvement from him for me to think that we've done the right thing in keeping him on.

Onion
06-07-2014, 06:57 PM

:agree: Suggests me that Stubbs is struggling to find/attract decent qual players.

IMO if Craig had any professional pride he would have walked simply for being the captain of the team that took Hibs down. Whether or not theres a footballer in there or not, this is about setting standards and removing risk from the season ahead. We can't afford to carry Craig for another season.

HoboHarry
06-07-2014, 07:04 PM
:agree: Suggests me that Stubbs is struggling to find/attract decent qual players.

IMO if Craig had any professional pride he would have walked simply for being the captain of the team that took Hibs down. Whether or not theres a footballer in there or not, this is about setting standards and removing risk from the season ahead. We can't afford to carry Craig for another season.
Really hard to know where to start with this post.

1) AS stated at the weekend that new players would come in this coming week. He also said he wanted quality over quantity.
2) If he is a good player - and he is - he is worth the risk as you call it.
3) If he had walked away he would have been called a coward - if I had been Hibs captain last season I would have stayed to try and fix the problem. Its what people with good ethics (as well as winners) do.....

The problems last season were not of Liam Craig's making but keep on believing otherwise if you wish.....

MWHIBBIES
06-07-2014, 07:06 PM

IMO if Craig had any professional pride he would have walked simply for being the captain of the team that took Hibs down. Whether or not theres a footballer in there or not, this is about setting standards and removing risk from the season ahead. We can't afford to carry Craig for another season.No, that is extremely unprofessional, staying and taking us back up is the right thing to do.

Scouse Hibee
06-07-2014, 07:33 PM

Don't be daft, that's a ridiculous comment and I bet if he had done that you wouldn't have come on here saying "well done Liam thanks for walking away it shows you have professional pride" :rolleyes:

hibbymick
06-07-2014, 07:52 PM
No, that is extremely unprofessional, staying and taking us back up is the right thing to do.

Maybe we shouldve given Butcher and Malpas that chance as well.

Beefster
06-07-2014, 08:00 PM

There are some right miserable ****ers on here.

Greenworld
06-07-2014, 08:04 PM
Brilliant well done your doing well playing better and speaking well but
You're still not good enough how do I break that to you .....

ekhibee
06-07-2014, 08:10 PM
I wouldn't. His form during the last few months of last season was nothing to do with the captaincy. Much more to do with the management regime and the way they were dealing with him and a number of other players like him, and the fact that he was being told to play in a way that was entirely foreign to him. He wasn't the only guy in this position, btw - Butcher's main 'motivational' tactic seems to have been to roar and yell and tell players they were rubbish and not fit to wear the jersey.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the guys who were there yesterday are saying that Alex Harris looked a lot more like his old self as well.

After the way Butcher and Malpas carried on, I'm just glad we still have the players we have - they seemed to be determined to sack the whole of last season's squad.
I can't agree with some of what you say.The team was poor before Butcher came in, and that included Craig. Harris was out injured for a long time so he shouldn't be held as responsible as some others, but Craig should have been more than capable of doing the job that was asked of him, whether it was out wide or through the middle. I suppose it comes down to whether you believe Butcher was solely to blame, or do the players share an equal amount of responsibility. Personally I would have got rid of all of them apart from the youngsters, but that's just my opinion. By the sounds of it Craig's been given another chance, as have one or two of the others that were abysmal before and during Butchers tenure, lets hope he takes it.

MWHIBBIES
06-07-2014, 08:17 PM
Maybe we shouldve given Butcher and Malpas that chance as well.The club wanted them gone, they didn't walk like he suggested Craig should have.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
06-07-2014, 09:36 PM
He's clearly got the ability as his performances showed at St Johnstone but his performances last season were awful, particularly in the final few months of the season.

If he stays then I'm willing to give him a chance but I would need to see a massive improvement from him for me to think that we've done the right thing in keeping him on.

The Liam Craig I was anticipating was the one I saw tormenting us when I saw them hump us in Perth, not the one who actively hid from the ball last season (regardless of Butchers tactics).

If he can show that this season I'll be more than happy as the man is a player. Has to prove it every game though.

Sir David Gray
06-07-2014, 09:39 PM
The Liam Craig I was anticipating was the one I saw tormenting us when I saw them hump us in Perth, not the one who actively hid from the ball last season (regardless of Butchers tactics).

If he can show that this season I'll be more than happy as the man is a player. Has to prove it every game though.

If he can regain his form and play to his potential, there's no doubt that Liam Craig will be an asset to us.

However he was nowhere near that level for much of last season and I've been so disappointed with him so far.

heretoday
06-07-2014, 09:41 PM
Well ok Craigy-boy. You can stay but you'll have to knuckle down.

bigstu
06-07-2014, 09:49 PM
He was absolutely rank last season & lets not forget that the team were not just terrible under 1 manager so they are a rotten bunch BUT beggars can't be choosers, he's worth another chance.

macd123
06-07-2014, 11:03 PM
He was absolutely rank last season & lets not forget that the team were not just terrible under 1 manager so they are a rotten bunch BUT beggars can't be choosers, he's worth another chance.

He was shocking at the end of last season but was decent before January. I would have much more respect for any player who wants to stay and fight to get us back up though. We are going to need plenty goals this season and he can definitely get double figures for us.

TheFamous1875
06-07-2014, 11:18 PM
Again, it's never as simple as 'good player/bad player'. The whole squad were left out to dry by archaic tactics and a neanderthal approach to management. There's no doubt that all the players could have done better, but it just goes to show how important a manager(s) is when all heads go down and there's zero confidence or belief in the team.

By all reports, Stubbs has already implemented a positive mindset with good training methods and an emphasis on playing expressive, free football. You need to make the best of what you've got and so far Stubbs seems to be doing exactly that.

The amount of players who've been referred to as "like a new signing" further stresses how important it is to have a happy and confident camp who're buying into your ideas, not forcing your ideas down players throats and alienating them.

Although most of our players gave terrible performances last season, I don't think a lot of our players are as bad as suggested under Butcher's tutelage.They all (including Nelson, Craig and the departed McGivern) have their strengths and have shown previously that they can play football. The reoccurring theme was of managers who didn't play to the players' strengths.

From what we know so far, Stubbs seems to have the right idea on how to approach managing a team, so for that I would like him to keep the clearly talented Liam Craig who, with confidence, fitness and a system/position that suits him (those should be the bare necessities) should be making quite a positive impression on our season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

J-C
06-07-2014, 11:18 PM
Making Craig captain was one of Butcher's worse decisions and then having the stupidity to play an attacking midfielder as a holding one was another.

Craig at St Johnstone was played as an inside forward cutting in from the left or as an AP behind the striker, he scored a fair few goals there and was fairly consistent for the 4 years he played there. Played properly with the ball on the deck and we'll see the best out of him this season.

HoboHarry
06-07-2014, 11:44 PM
Making Craig captain was one of Butcher's worse decisions and then having the stupidity to play an attacking midfielder as a holding one was another.

Craig at St Johnstone was played as an inside forward cutting in from the left or as an AP behind the striker, he scored a fair few goals there and was fairly consistent for the 4 years he played there. Played properly with the ball on the deck and we'll see the best out of him this season.
Care to expand on why it was a mistake to have Liam Craig appointed captain? TB thought he was a good choice and, at least at this point, AS would appear to agree.

Billychaotic182
07-07-2014, 12:25 AM
Care to expand on why it was a mistake to have Liam Craig appointed captain? TB thought he was a good choice and, at least at this point, AS would appear to agree.

I think it put unwanted pressure on him. No one can say his his form didn't dip after taking the armband. He proved he wasn't a leader when we needed one. That's not a dig at Craig sometimes that's not in people character doesn't make them bad just means they have a different roll. I'd much rather see Craig play without the pressure of being captain. The problem for me is I don't see anyone ATM as a leader. Hanlon is too quite, Nelson would have .net go into overdrive and really I can't see who else would take it?

Craig will be good this year. Speaks volumes that the player wants to stay ad prove something.

monktonharp
07-07-2014, 12:37 AM
Should have been punted after his displays last season IMO.if we can still punt him, then punt him imho

HoboHarry
07-07-2014, 12:38 AM
I think it put unwanted pressure on him. No one can say his his form didn't dip after taking the armband. He proved he wasn't a leader when we needed one. That's not a dig at Craig sometimes that's not in people character doesn't make them bad just means they have a different roll. I'd much rather see Craig play without the pressure of being captain. The problem for me is I don't see anyone ATM as a leader. Hanlon is too quite, Nelson would have .net go into overdrive and really I can't see who else would take it?

Craig will be good this year. Speaks volumes that the player wants to stay ad prove something.
There isn't a doubt in my mind he should be captain and to take it off him now would an act of lunacy given that - it is being said - that there is a real feel good factor around the place. To take it away would take away a large slice of the feel good factor unless he himself requested that he step down from the role.

The_Horde
07-07-2014, 12:49 AM
There isn't a doubt in my mind he should be captain and to take it off him now would an act of lunacy given that - it is being said - that there is a real feel good factor around the place. To take it away would take away a large slice of the feel good factor unless he himself requested that he step down from the role.

Yup. He's either captain or he goes as far as I'm concerned.

Auckland Hibs
07-07-2014, 12:50 AM
if we can still punt him, then punt him imho

He's a ready made scape goat for next season - keep him!

monktonharp
07-07-2014, 12:52 AM
Again, it's never as simple as 'good player/bad player'. The whole squad were left out to dry by archaic tactics and a neanderthal approach to management. There's no doubt that all the players could have done better, but it just goes to show how important a manager(s) is when all heads go down and there's zero confidence or belief in the team.

By all reports, Stubbs has already implemented a positive mindset with good training methods and an emphasis on playing expressive, free football. You need to make the best of what you've got and so far Stubbs seems to be doing exactly that.

The amount of players who've been referred to as "like a new signing" further stresses how important it is to have a happy and confident camp who're buying into your ideas, not forcing your ideas down players throats and alienating them.

Although most of our players gave terrible performances last season, I don't think a lot of our players are as bad as suggested under Butcher's tutelage.They all (including Nelson, Craig and the departed McGivern) have their strengths and have shown previously that they can play football. The reoccurring theme was of managers who didn't play to the players' strengths.

From what we know so far, Stubbs seems to have the right idea on how to approach managing a team, so for that I would like him to keep the clearly talented Liam Craig who, with confidence, fitness and a system/position that suits him (those should be the bare necessities) should be making quite a positive impression on our season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HDIm amazed, in fact flabbergasted (if that's a word) at your positive attitude regarding Liam Craig. he was given the captain's armband, and from that point on he somehow managed to almost single handedly become the worst ever Hibernian captain that I have ever seen. how you can see him turning this round in the forthcoming season where the pressure is going to be much more than it was last season, for at least the first 10 games, is unreal.from what we know so far, Stubbs is our new manager, and that's all we know about him. what we definitely know, is that Liam Craig, let the team down, let the club down and definitely let himself down, big style.

monktonharp
07-07-2014, 12:55 AM
There isn't a doubt in my mind he should be captain and to take it off him now would an act of lunacy given that - it is being said - that there is a real feel good factor around the place. To take it away would take away a large slice of the feel good factor unless he himself requested that he step down from the role. the lunatics have taken over the asylum

HoboHarry
07-07-2014, 01:07 AM
the lunatics have taken over the asylum
Splendid and insightful post. Did you have alcohol to help you with that effort?

Turkish Green
07-07-2014, 01:46 AM
Craig captained the Ipswich team that won the FA Youth cup in 2005. He was a decent player in his 6 years at St Johnstone. He doesn't become a bad player after joining Hibs.

I reckon his problem last season was TB. Stubbs sees something in him, so let's get behind Liam for the new season.

macd123
07-07-2014, 02:19 AM
Im amazed, in fact flabbergasted (if that's a word) at your positive attitude regarding Liam Craig. he was given the captain's armband, and from that point on he somehow managed to almost single handedly become the worst ever Hibernian captain that I have ever seen. how you can see him turning this round in the forthcoming season where the pressure is going to be much more than it was last season, for at least the first 10 games, is unreal.from what we know so far, Stubbs is our new manager, and that's all we know about him. what we definitely know, is that Liam Craig, let the team down, let the club down and definitely let himself down, big style.

He played well till January and wasn't alone in playing badly under butcher. There is only one way any of these guys can redeem themselves and if he leads to promotion this year he will deserve a lot of respect. I hope he does it.

DunblaneHibby
07-07-2014, 05:55 AM
Craig captained the Ipswich team that won the FA Youth cup in 2005. He was a decent player in his 6 years at St Johnstone. He doesn't become a bad player after joining Hibs.

I reckon his problem last season was TB. Stubbs sees something in him, so let's get behind Liam for the new season.

Couldn't agree more

J-C
07-07-2014, 08:11 AM

Thanks for putting into words exactly what I was going to reply with. :thumbsup:

J-C
07-07-2014, 08:12 AM

See Billychaotic's post, says it all.

I'll add by saying that there were better candidates for the captains job last season( a lot of senior players ) and maybe that was putting too much pressure on him, this season may be different seeing as many players are gone and we'll be playing with a lot of youngsters and the experienced players guidance will be vital.

emerald green
07-07-2014, 11:34 AM
Get rid of him then, he'll be no good when we come up against Sporting Lisbon later in the season. Not everyone said he was the worst player ever, some could see he was struggling under Butchers tactics.

So was the whole team. In hindsight, what a catastrophic appointment Butcher/Malpas turned out to be.

ekhibee
08-07-2014, 12:43 AM
Im amazed, in fact flabbergasted (if that's a word) at your positive attitude regarding Liam Craig. he was given the captain's armband, and from that point on he somehow managed to almost single handedly become the worst ever Hibernian captain that I have ever seen. how you can see him turning this round in the forthcoming season where the pressure is going to be much more than it was last season, for at least the first 10 games, is unreal.from what we know so far, Stubbs is our new manager, and that's all we know about him. what we definitely know, is that Liam Craig, let the team down, let the club down and definitely let himself down, big style.
Yep, I agree. Obviously I hope I'm totally wrong, but if you ignore all the 'feel good' rhetoric coming from the club just now and look at the facts, there's still plenty of players left who were just as culpable as the manager last season. After all the yakking on this board, all the demonstrations, Petrie is still here, and so are those players. Stubbs has a huge job on his hands, time will tell if he can do anything.

Onion
12-10-2014, 12:27 PM
He's a ready made scape goat for next season - keep him!

Some insightful stuff from 3 months ago :aok: