PDA

View Full Version : Alex Harris

SaulGoodman
06-07-2014, 11:09 AM
Good to see him getting on the scoresheet yesterday, hopefully Stubbs can improve his confidence better than Butcher managed.

Let's not forget it's not easy coming back to full confidence after this:

http://i.imgur.com/vEG0A5Y.jpg

Thecat23
06-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Huge year for Alex. Hope he does well as he really was awful last season. He needs to mentally get over what happened to progress his career!

Let's hope Stubbs gets the best out of him.

mentalhibee
06-07-2014, 11:12 AM
Getting a good pre-season under his belt will do him wonders. Big part to play this season.

Greenblood70
06-07-2014, 02:59 PM
He's obviously got the raw talent, we saw that for ourselves at the tail end of the season before last. Hopefully he'll benefit from a good pre- season and come back and prove the impatient wasters in the stands who were getting on his back wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-07-2014, 03:03 PM
Even a match fit, confident Alex Harris, would have struggled to contribute in that team last season.

Bronson
06-07-2014, 03:05 PM
That tackle really was a shocker, deary me.

If he can regain his top form he'll be a huge player for us next season.

lord bunberry
06-07-2014, 03:30 PM
That tackle really was a shocker, deary me.

If he can regain his top form he'll be a huge player for us next season.

The Motherwell player wasn't even sent off for that challenge, what was the referee thinking about?

Heisenberg
06-07-2014, 03:30 PM
Get him fit. Get his confidence back. Get him played on the right hand side.

PeterboroHibee
06-07-2014, 03:38 PM

The first two are crucial. Harris can be an important player for us this season, he just needs to feel confident with his game. That was something Butcher and Malpas seemed to drain out of the entire squad, but they seem happier under Stubbs so heres hoping he can make the same impact as when he first came through.

Bronson
06-07-2014, 03:42 PM
The Motherwell player wasn't even sent off for that challenge, what was the referee thinking about?

I've come to accept sub-standard refereeing as the norm in Scottish football now, unfortunately. Stevie Wonder could have seen that was a straight red.

tamig
06-07-2014, 10:15 PM
Alex Harris looked like a new player yesterday. Always looked to get on the ball and use his pace to beat the full back. Swung over some lovely crosses and good to see him get a goal - which he fully deserved.

SMAXXA
06-07-2014, 11:21 PM
He's obviously got the raw talent, we saw that for ourselves at the tail end of the season before last. Hopefully he'll benefit from a good pre- season and come back and prove the impatient wasters in the stands who were getting on his back wrong.

supporters criticise player who last year was consistently poor......shock exclusive. He was pish people said as much so to call them impatient wasters is out of order imo.

TheFamous1875
06-07-2014, 11:33 PM
supporters criticise player who's who last year was consistently poor......shock exclusive.mhrmwas pish people said as much so to call them impatient wasters is out of order imo.

Personally I would blame Terry Butcher (and to a lesser extent Pat Fenlon) for Alex's dip in form. Before he was injured, Fenlon made him our main attacking outlet against Malmo and it understandably overwhelmed him. Being given the #7 and modelling the new kit would have put more pressure on him to be our main guy and that just wasn't fair on an unproven 18 year old who showed a lot of promise when he had no pressure on him.

Fast forward to Butcher and he dropped him ring back into the swing of things when he was unfit, unsharp and under-confident after his first proper injury.

He understandably had no form, played rubbish, then got berated from the baying fans watching us slowly get relegated and his confidence further decreased and then we got relegated.

An exemplar lesson on how to ruin a young player's potential.

I really hope Alex bounces back is season as he's a very promising talent for Scottish football and can go very far if he's managed properly. You can have all the talent in the world, but unless it's nurtured the correct way, you'll never fulfil it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Greenblood70
06-07-2014, 11:42 PM
supporters criticise player who's who last year was consistently poor......shock exclusive.mhrmwas pish people said as much so to call them impatient wasters is out of order imo.

The laddie is just getting started in the game, was coming back from a serious injury and was managed by the biggest ******** to ever work for the club. I'll stick by my original description of the idiots in our support thanks.

BVB Hibs
07-07-2014, 12:31 AM
Harris has the potential to be a good player. Was very surprised by the amount who wanted him punted a few weeks ago. Did find it strange how many were getting worked up when we were released U20 players, yet wanted U20 players who'd obviously proven themselves enough to warrant a spot in the first team gone.

Wouldn't say this year is make or break for Harris. For sure he needs to refind his confidence and his form, but even with a poor season this year he'll easily find another destination in the SPFL even if only for the Falkirk game. With a few good players around him though, he'll have a platform to shine, which is a big thing that was missing last season.

Haymaker
07-07-2014, 12:37 AM
Alex Harris is a talent. What he needs is for someone to play him at his strengths and the confidence to believe if he fails once it isn't the end of the world, the game is 90 mins long and to learn and go again.

Kato
07-07-2014, 02:15 PM

"It's only Hibs, tee-hee"

hibs0666
07-07-2014, 02:28 PM
supporters criticise player who last year was consistently poor......shock exclusive. He was pish people said as much so to call them impatient wasters is out of order imo.

It's not the criticism but the level of venom spouted from the Easter Raod stands that makes our support unique.

bingo70
07-07-2014, 02:41 PM

All of his poor games have come on the right wing, despite being right footed he's bot a right winger.

All his best games have come from him starting on the left.

Hibeewilly
07-07-2014, 04:49 PM
He needed a rest and now a good pre season together with a management team who understand sports science which he has got. We will see a different Harris this year IMHO

Viva_Palmeiras
07-07-2014, 08:35 PM

19yrs old - "he was pish" says everything about where we fail as a support. Consistency? Well I think too much was lumped on him because of the state we were in and THAT goal in THAT semi final.

I hope we have in Alan a manager who folks can listen to and if he said "lay off the youngsters, if they fear to try different things we'll not succeed" that folks take notice.

Fanciful I know - "some may say I'm a dreamer...."

B.H.F.C
07-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Was good to see him running at people on Saturday, irrespective of the opposition. He looked sharper. Not in any way getting carried away with a decent performance from him against a lowland league team but I hope he can build up throughout pre season against stronger opposition than that.

He was deservedly criticised towards the end of the season. It wasn't just that his performances were poor, he was completely chicken hearted at times. That is when Butcher should have taken him out all together in fairness.

Just on another note, I've saw people speak of him being better on the left. I think (if he can regain some form) he can be equally effective on the right. Everybody remembers his semi final performance but I thought he was equally as good when we beat Hearts at Tynecastle. He absolutely murdered McHattie down the right. Went by him every single time he had the ball. Hope we can see that again.

Leitherhibs
07-07-2014, 09:04 PM
Would love to be proved wrong but he just doesnt have what it takes to make it, its a shame because he seems to be a smart young lad with his head screwed on.
Hes predictable, he failed to get by the VOL defenders on numerous occasions, his final ball is almost always poor, he pulls out of winnable challenges in almost every game ive seen him and barring one or two good performances at end of 12/13 season hasnt shown much.
Would love him to prove me wrong though.

SMAXXA
07-07-2014, 09:07 PM
19yrs old - "he was pish" says everything about where we fail as a support. Consistency? Well I think too much was lumped on him because of the state we were in and THAT goal in THAT semi final.

I hope we have in Alan a manager who folks can listen to and if he said "lay off the youngsters, if they fear to try different things we'll not succeed" that folks take notice.

Fanciful I know - "some may say I'm a dreamer...."

it makes no difference what age he is if he's been pish he's been pish no matter how it's dressed up. I agree that it wasn't his fault as his manager should have been protecting him by taking him out the firing line but it doesn't change the fact how poor he was regardless.

i like him and I'm sure he will be better with a manager that will appreciate him and nurture him. All players aren't immune to criticism no matter how old, I appreciate the other factors that put him in that position but maybe some don't and voice it in the wrong way I guess.

tamig
07-07-2014, 10:15 PM
Would love to be proved wrong but he just doesnt have what it takes to make it, its a shame because he seems to be a smart young lad with his head screwed on.
Hes predictable, he failed to get by the VOL defenders on numerous occasions, his final ball is almost always poor, he pulls out of winnable challenges in almost every game ive seen him and barring one or two good performances at end of 12/13 season hasnt shown much.
Would love him to prove me wrong though.

You must have been watching a different game from me.

HoboHarry
08-07-2014, 12:34 AM
it makes no difference what age he is if he's been pish he's been pish no matter how it's dressed up. I agree that it wasn't his fault as his manager should have been protecting him by taking him out the firing line but it doesn't change the fact how poor he was regardless.

i like him and I'm sure he will be better with a manager that will appreciate him and nurture him. All players aren't immune to criticism no matter how old, I appreciate the other factors that put him in that position but maybe some don't and voice it in the wrong way I guess.
And the use of the term "pish" is most certainly the wrong way to voice an opinion. It's a catch-all term which has no specific meaning, thrown about about by people who lack the ability to articulate the actual reasons why, in their opinion, a player was judged to have played poorly in a game or a series of games.

Leitherhibs
08-07-2014, 06:29 AM
You must have been watching a different game from me.

Must have. I was stood on the right hand side where he played, he got the ball caught in his feet a couple times, was tackled twice and maybe once did he manage to beat his man. Not great given the opposition.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-07-2014, 08:54 AM
Was good to see him running at people on Saturday, irrespective of the opposition. He looked sharper. Not in any way getting carried away with a decent performance from him against a lowland league team but I hope he can build up throughout pre season against stronger opposition than that.

He was deservedly criticised towards the end of the season. It wasn't just that his performances were poor, he was completely chicken hearted at times. That is when Butcher should have taken him out all together in fairness.

Just on another note, I've saw people speak of him being better on the left. I think (if he can regain some form) he can be equally effective on the right. Everybody remembers his semi final performance but I thought he was equally as good when we beat Hearts at Tynecastle. He absolutely murdered McHattie down the right. Went by him every single time he had the ball. Hope we can see that again.

Harris was given the hokey-cokey by Butcher. Sometimes it's needs must but nurturing players should be our priority and that's a fine balancing act. I wonder if on reflection he'll admit he got that one wrong...

tamig
08-07-2014, 10:07 AM
Must have. I was stood on the right hand side where he played, he got the ball caught in his feet a couple times, was tackled twice and maybe once did he manage to beat his man. Not great given the opposition.

I was on that side too and he beat his man several times and put some great balls in. Still, you have your opinion and I have mine.

SMAXXA
08-07-2014, 10:14 AM
And the use of the term "pish" is most certainly the wrong way to voice an opinion. It's a catch-all term which has no specific meaning, thrown about about by people who lack the ability to articulate the actual reasons why, in their opinion, a player was judged to have played poorly in a game or a series of games.

Ok rephrase that then, he was piss poor. No matter how you dress it up

GreenOnions
08-07-2014, 11:47 AM

Alex has definite talent IMO. It's still raw but he's got plenty time to develop and I think he will become a top player for us.

I don't know whether or not he felt it at the time but I thought there was a lot of pressure on him at the start of last season when he was the poster boy in the club store and especially when Fenlon failed to sign anyone else who could provide pace and width. Obviously things went horribly wrong when he was assaulted by Hutchison.

If Stubbs can bring in other players who can also offer pace and width I think that will help Alex - and the team.

I'm sure Alex knows he didn't perform last season and that he needs to step it up. Being blunt about someone's performance is sometimes helpful. However, where it concerns a young player who's just come through a really difficult period, doing so on an open forum that the player may well read himself may not actually be particularly productive IMO.

Leitherhibs
08-07-2014, 11:50 AM
I was on that side too and he beat his man several times and put some great balls in. Still, you have your opinion and I have mine.

Agree to disagree mate. Like i said, would really love to proved wrong.

SMAXXA
08-07-2014, 12:14 PM
Alex has definite talent IMO. It's still raw but he's got plenty time to develop and I think he will become a top player for us.

I don't know whether or not he felt it at the time but I thought there was a lot of pressure on him at the start of last season when he was the poster boy in the club store and especially when Fenlon failed to sign anyone else who could provide pace and width. Obviously things went horribly wrong when he was assaulted by Hutchison.

If Stubbs can bring in other players who can also offer pace and width I think that will help Alex - and the team.

I'm sure Alex knows he didn't perform last season and that he needs to step it up. Being blunt about someone's performance is sometimes helpful. However, where it concerns a young player who's just come through a really difficult period, doing so on an open forum that the player may well read himself may not actually be particularly productive IMO.

Players shouldn't read forums then they are big boys not little kids. Anyway believe me Alex himself would be the first to admit how bad he was and does ambit it.

GreenOnions
08-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Players shouldn't read forums then they are big boys not little kids. Anyway believe me Alex himself would be the first to admit how bad he was and does ambit it.

Fair enough - if you know the player and how he would react to such comments then I'm sure you'll have assessed it correctly.

FWIW though - I think he has loads of potential and is certainly the type of player I'd pay money to watch if he can develop.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-07-2014, 08:45 PM

Maybe due to the performance of management teams in recent times but we need to trust them to actually manage the players. Encouraging youngsters should be the dominant approach from the stands. If we can't give youngsters the benefit of the doubt (and let's make no mistake about it now they are very much our future) then Hjbs as a club will wither on the vine - some may argue we've done that already through other means. We need to back our youth teams to the hilt.

My fear is as a support we are too heavy in the "I pay their wages I can say what I want" - imagine working for a boss like that? Does everyone think that the way Lord Sugar barks at people is the way to run a sustainably successful business? Maybe short term but chickens come home to roost - it's a TV thing...

rcarter1
08-07-2014, 09:24 PM
If we get a coach who knows what they are doing, Alex has the talent to progress and do a real job for us.

whiskas
08-07-2014, 09:26 PM
I'm a huge fan of constructive criticism and highlighting positives. I'm looking forward to seeing Alex playing next season and I'm hoping he'll add a bit of tenacity and strength to his game to complement his obvious skill and speed.

rcarter1
08-07-2014, 09:28 PM
I'm a huge fan of constructive criticism and highlighting positives. I'm looking forward to seeing Alex playing next season and I'm hoping he'll add a bit of tenacity and strength to his game to complement his obvious skill and speed.

Its also helpful if he is taught how to position himself. Watching Germany makes it look easy. Brazil the opposite.

whiskas
08-07-2014, 09:38 PM
Its also helpful if he is taught how to position himself. Watching Germany makes it look easy. Brazil the opposite.

The last couple of games I saw him his positioning looked fine but he wasn't getting the ball when he was in space or if he did he was quickly closed down by 2 or 3 opposition players and would lose the ball