View Full Version : Trialists today?

05-07-2014, 10:32 AM
http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2014/07/hibs-hope-to-field-trialists-at-vale-of-leithen-today/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheEdinburghReporter+%28The+E dinburgh+Reporter%29

Wonder who they are?

05-07-2014, 10:34 AM
http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2014/07/hibs-hope-to-field-trialists-at-vale-of-leithen-today/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheEdinburghReporter+%28The+E dinburgh+Reporter%29 Wonder who they are?

Gorkss Earnshaw Both mentioned in the last few days??

You heard anything like BMD??

05-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Last time I remember watching a trialists for hibs they were Mark (football manager legend) Kerr and the boy Sheridan from Celtic. We signed neither of them. So as good as it will be to see new faces I wouldn't get my hopes up.

05-07-2014, 11:00 AM

Gorkss would be a very good signing if its the one who used to play for Blackpool and QPR?

05-07-2014, 11:02 AM
do you need clearance from the English/Welsh FA,,, or is it only if its from outside the UK????

05-07-2014, 11:07 AM
:agree: Just released by Reading - very strong centre half.

If it's the same guy I'm thinking off he would be a cracking signing. Is he not getting on a bit now though?

:agree: Just released by Reading - very strong centre half.

He'd stroll it in the Scottish Championship, although i'd be surprised if he'd come to Hibs.

Gorkss would be a very good signing if its the one who used to play for Blackpool and QPR?

:agree: Just released by Reading - very strong centre half, but knocking on a bit now.

05-07-2014, 11:10 AM
:agree: Just released by Reading - very strong centre half, but knocking on a bit now.

33 now. a season with him would surely fill a huge hole at the centre of the defense.

05-07-2014, 11:15 AM
He'd stroll it in the Scottish Championship, although i'd be surprised if he'd come to Hibs.

05-07-2014, 11:18 AM
Even if we don't get them, it's encouraging that we appear to be going for a better quality of player. Just hope we get a few.

05-07-2014, 11:30 AM

Is that Robert Earnshaw? The guy that played for the Wales national team? Both players would be excellent additions.

Dave-O
05-07-2014, 11:31 AM

:pray:

05-07-2014, 11:40 AM
33 now. a season with him would surely fill a huge hole at the centre of the defense.

:agree: 33's no problem, surely? Roy Barry was fairly long in the tooth when he came to us; so was Yogi, but they coped fine with the top division.

05-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Watch it will come to 3pm, the 2 trialists will be young lads no one has heard of. Lol

05-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Watch it will come to 3pm, the 2 trialists will be young lads no one has heard of. Lol

Your probably right CL. But heay we can hope!! :-)

05-07-2014, 11:51 AM
Is that Robert Earnshaw? The guy that played for the Wales national team? Both players would be excellent additions.

Yip that's him.

Greenblood70
05-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Even if we don't get them, it's encouraging that we appear to be going for a better quality of player. Just hope we get a few.

This exactly, been my main gripe over the past half dozen years. I'd much rather we bring in quality rather than quantity. Reading Stubbs comments from yesterday he seems to feel the same and has a definite idea of the calibre of player he wants to sign. Let's hope Leeann can convince them to come here.

05-07-2014, 12:03 PM
Heard from EM " If everything works out there could be two or three , depends on clearances "

05-07-2014, 12:11 PM

He is 32 so that makes him a bairn to me !. Also 6 ft -4 which helps.

05-07-2014, 12:33 PM

Distant relation of Gordon Ottershaw? :wink:

05-07-2014, 01:30 PM
:agree: 33's no problem, surely? Roy Barry was fairly long in the tooth when he came to us; so was Yogi, but they coped fine with the top division.

He was used as back up for Pearce and Morrison last season, got a fair bit of first team action and frequently looked better than either of them (apart from one absolute 'mare against Barnsley). He'd be a great signing for Hibs, but doesn't look like he's on trial in any case.

Of the other players released by Reading, I thought Stuart Taylor might have been a good shout for keeper, but he's signed for Leeds, Jobi McAnuff would want too much and lives up to his first name in any case and Mikele Leigertwood would also probably be looking for more than we could offer - an absolute joy to watch when he's on form though.

05-07-2014, 01:51 PM
He was used as back up for Pearce and Morrison last season, got a fair bit of first team action and frequently looked better than either of them (apart from one absolute 'mare against Barnsley). He'd be a great signing for Hibs, but doesn't look like he's on trial in any case.

Of the other players released by Reading, I thought Stuart Taylor might have been a good shout for keeper, but he's signed for Leeds, Jobi McAnuff would want too much and lives up to his first name in any case and Mikele Leigertwood would also probably be looking for more than we could offer - an absolute joy to watch when he's on form though.

Yup - strangely enough, the rumour-mill was way off-target this once.

Strange, that. :wink:

Django
05-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Its Adam Buxton and Nathan Burke. The boy Buxton was released from Wigan, spent last season at Accrington Stanley and Burke is a Liverpool academy player

05-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Yup - strangely enough, the rumour-mill was way off-target this once.

Strange, that. :wink:

You wouldn't pay high profile experienced players as trialists.

Firstly we alreAdy know they can play at our level and secondly it could alert other clubs to their availability.

Doesn't mean we're not interested in those players.

05-07-2014, 02:31 PM
You wouldn't pay high profile experienced players as trialists. Firstly we alreAdy know they can play at our level and secondly it could alert other clubs to their availability. Doesn't mean we're not interested in those players.

Indeed Bingo. Hopefully a few unveiled this week!!

Wighty76
05-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Everyday I log on waiting for the inevitable signings. This might not go down well but the lack of activity is encouraging in a way. To me it looks like we are holding out and waiting for the right calibre of player to join the club and help us make a decent challenge for the title.

05-07-2014, 04:09 PM
Any word on how the trialists got on today?

Leitherhibs
05-07-2014, 04:14 PM
No earnshaw or gorkss. An overweight right back who looked alright and a left winger who looked neat amd tidy.

Django
05-07-2014, 04:18 PM
Anyone know how the trialists got on today?

hibeemikey21
05-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Anyone know how the trialists got on today?

Buxton looked very good, albeit, carrying a few too many pounds

05-07-2014, 04:43 PM
Right back looked like he had a bit quality. Fair to say he would need to have a very hard pre season though.

05-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Right back looked like he had a bit quality. Fair to say he would need to have a very hard pre season though.

Reminds me a bit of Gary Deegan.

05-07-2014, 04:55 PM
What was the young lad from Liverpool like? Nathan Burke.

05-07-2014, 04:56 PM
Reminds me a bit of Gary Deegan.

'Stature' wise, aye.

05-07-2014, 05:04 PM
No earnshaw or gorkss. An overweight right back who looked alright and a left winger who looked neat amd tidy.

Without having been there I was told about an overweight right back who had been with Wigan and was at EM on trial.

2 stone overweight but was a player, needs to lose weight.

MartinfaePorty
05-07-2014, 05:04 PM
Remember Murphy blowing out his backside after an hour of a friendly, so not worried about that at this stage.

05-07-2014, 05:11 PM
I'm a bit concerned how a 22 year old footballer can get 2 stone overweight at a time he is looking for a new team?

05-07-2014, 05:13 PM
Wouldn't say two stone over weight!! Not every player has to be the leanest to be decent

05-07-2014, 05:16 PM

Nicely put.

05-07-2014, 08:37 PM
Wouldn't say two stone over weight!! Not every player has to be the leanest to be decent

Was described to me as an overweight Paul Cairney!!!

05-07-2014, 09:00 PM

Bit unfair that description J :greengrin Carrying weight but then so did Murphy when he first arrived. I thought Buxton looked ok for the 45 minutes he got

05-07-2014, 09:37 PM
Without having been there I was told about an overweight right back who had been with Wigan and was at EM on trial.

Here is a picture of him from today, a couple of weeks of hard work at east mains and he will easily shift the excess required

http://www.snspix.com/mobile?page=media&mediaid=10034358

05-07-2014, 09:44 PM

Reminded me of Deegan. Buxton did well enough though.......Would be a decent signing IMO

05-07-2014, 09:47 PM
Here is a picture of him from today, a couple of weeks of hard work at east mains and he will easily shift the excess required

http://www.snspix.com/mobile?page=media&mediaid=10034358

Link no worky. Hopefully this (http://www.snspix.com/mobile?page=media&mediaid=10034358[/QUOTE]) one does :greengrin

05-07-2014, 09:52 PM
Link no worky. Hopefully this (http://www.snspix.com/mobile?page=media&mediaid=10034358) one does :greengrin[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'm using my phone

05-07-2014, 10:06 PM
Thanks, I'm using my phone

05-07-2014, 10:07 PM

Looked like he knew the position Scoops and willing to overlap....given couple of months he could be great and would allow a Forster / Hanlon CH pairing.....

05-07-2014, 10:49 PM

Of the other players released by Reading, I thought Stuart Taylor might have been a good shout for keeper, but he's signed for Leeds, Jobi McAnuff would want too much and lives up to his first name in any case and Mikele Leigertwood would also probably be looking for more than we could offer - an absolute joy to watch when he's on form though.stop being silly. we cant have someone called Jobby macanuff playing for Hibernian!:rolleyes:

portycabbage
05-07-2014, 11:05 PM
stop being silly. we cant have someone called Jobby macanuff playing for Hibernian!:rolleyes:

:singing:
Jobby!...
Jobby!...
Oh, Jobby Mac!
When are you coming back?

Ach well, maybe you're right.

05-07-2014, 11:10 PM
first comment I'd read about Buxton was that he looked a bit Nadeish, or 10 men couldnae carryish. but, having not been at today's game I'm slightly encouraged that some have commented on the plus side. overweight, possibly but I'm not in a position to comment on that (not over my fighting weight btw) but when we look back at what we've had to suffer in the RB position for a number of years I'd say bring him in and dae it now!.we MUST have at least 2 men to cover that position for the coming season. I argued last season, that we should have re-called Callum Milne, as we absolutely toiled in the LB position on more than a dozen occasions. this is one of the main reasons that we lost the plot in the run in , imho. forget using wee Lewis as a cover for LB too. he isnae wan! things are getting urgent, and the new manager wont have that much scope.

05-07-2014, 11:10 PM

Well whoever told you that was talking pish.

05-07-2014, 11:11 PM
Jobby!...
Jobby!...
Oh, Jobby Mac!
When are you coming back?

Ach well, maybe you're right.has the makings o' a guid wee song tho' :greengrin

05-07-2014, 11:25 PM
Well whoever told you that was talking pish.True Andy ..an overweight Gary Deegan is what I thought ..:agree:

06-07-2014, 12:12 AM
first comment I'd read about Buxton was that he looked a bit Nadeish, or 10 men couldnae carryish. but, having not been at today's game I'm slightly encouraged that some have commented on the plus side. overweight, possibly but I'm not in a position to comment on that (not over my fighting weight btw) but when we look back at what we've had to suffer in the RB position for a number of years I'd say bring him in and dae it now!.we MUST have at least 2 men to cover that position for the coming season. I argued last season, that we should have re-called Callum Milne, as we absolutely toiled in the LB position on more than a dozen occasions. this is one of the main reasons that we lost the plot in the run in , imho. forget using wee Lewis as a cover for LB too. he isnae wan! things are getting urgent, and the new manager wont have that much scope.

Milne's in his late 40s. Wouldn't Callum Booth have been a better bet? :greengrin

06-07-2014, 12:39 AM
Milne's in his late 40s. Wouldn't Callum Booth have been a better bet? :greengrin

Nope, CM would have assaulted the boy on the edge of the box and taken a red before Hamilton's second, 40 odd or not :greengrin exactly what thay 6'5 streak of lilian OTJ should have done :rolleyes:

06-07-2014, 02:49 AM

A cruel person would suggest even callum milne would be an improvement at left back last season...

06-07-2014, 08:37 AM
Re Buxton being overweight .... Don't think we would hear many complaints if Kris Boyd was playing for Hibs ... Plus if you read the Hibs Facebook page, there is a good conversation with George Craig re training and diets etc, so I would not imagine it would take long to get Buxton into fighting fit condition. If that is all he needs.

06-07-2014, 05:09 PM
Re Buxton being overweight .... Don't think we would hear many complaints if Kris Boyd was playing for Hibs ... Plus if you read the Hibs Facebook page, there is a good conversation with George Craig re training and diets etc, so I would not imagine it would take long to get Buxton into fighting fit condition. If that is all he needs.

Can you post that link please? Would be interested to hear it

Leith_Hibee
06-07-2014, 06:02 PM
Not concerned the boy is out of shape. One of the changes is the introduction of sports science at Hibs and we a looking to produce athletes as well as footballers. To make it to the top of the game players need to be athletes as well as have ability.

06-07-2014, 06:07 PM
A cruel person would suggest even callum milne would be an improvement at left back last season...

Are you referring by any chance to Callum the Radge from Alex Miller's time?

One of my all-time favourite bampots. :not worth

06-07-2014, 06:10 PM

Him coming on as a sub and punching Medals MacKay in the dial sparked an instant love affair for many.

06-07-2014, 06:19 PM
Are you referring by any chance to Callum the Radge from Alex Miller's time? One of my all-time favourite bampots. :not worth

Callum was from East Calder and assisted with our training on the odd occasion. Liked a few scoops but was brand new. Used to have a few pints with him and guys from the team in the Tap Shop and Grove. Hard as nails.

06-07-2014, 06:50 PM
If Buxton is 2 stone overweight then I must be about 15 stone overweight haha. He would benefit from losing a few pounds but I think he will always look stocky even if in tip top condition. In my opinion he looked better than anyone who turned out for us at right back last season albeit against lesser opposition.

06-07-2014, 06:53 PM
If Buxton is 2 stone overweight then I must be about 15 stone overweight haha. He would benefit from losing a few pounds but I think he will always look stocky even if in tip top condition. In my opinion he looked better than anyone who turned out for us at right back last season albeit against lesser opposition.

Brooster, that's good to hear. Is he available as a permanent signing or just as a loan? I'm not sure if he's still under contract at his club

06-07-2014, 06:56 PM
Brooster, that's good to hear. Is he available as a permanent signing or just as a loan? I'm not sure if he's still under contract at his club

I don't know Billy, someone in the Union Club yesterday told me he was a free agent.

06-07-2014, 07:19 PM

You can't trust anyone who wears the same gear as Paul Kane! Ha Ha! :o)

06-07-2014, 07:21 PM
I don't know Billy, someone in the Union Club yesterday told me he was a free agent.

Thanks for the update

06-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Well whoever told you that was talking pish.

As I stated earlier in the thread I wasn't there but passing something on I was told.

I take it you didn't think he was overweight.

06-07-2014, 07:32 PM
As I stated earlier in the thread I wasn't there but passing something on I was told.

I take it you didn't think he was overweight.

Overweight? Nah not in the slightest, Big boned? Definitely.

Jack Wilshere looks overweight, Gary Harkins looks overweight, Paul Hartley was overweight :greengrin

Looks a player though.

06-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Overweight? Nah not in the slightest, Big boned? Definitely.

Jack Wilshere looks overweight, Gary Harkins looks overweight, Paul Hartley was overweight :greengrin

Looks a player though.

That's the important bit.

I once recall Stephen Dobbie coming back pre season overweight, however weight was lost and after he left us went on to do very well for himself.

06-07-2014, 07:43 PM
That's the important bit.

I once recall Stephen Dobbie coming back pre season overweight, however weight was lost and after he left us went on to do very well for himself.

Totally agree Scoops.

Im liking the chat how the players are enjoying training and now look forward to coming to work each day.

06-07-2014, 07:47 PM
Totally agree Scoops.

Im liking the chat how the players are enjoying training and now look forward to coming to work each day.

I'm hearing that they're enjoying training as well Andy.

Couple of other bits.

Leeann Dempster has been down at East Mains and making changes.

The two bits I have heard are changes to the menu in terms of healthier eating and new equipment being ordered after consultation with the physio.

06-07-2014, 07:55 PM

Couple of other bits.

The two bits I have heard are changes to the menu in terms of healthier eating and new equipment being ordered after consultation with the physio.

Good news but disappointing to hear that in this day and age with our state of the art facilities our eating plans and equipment were not suitable, piss poor from Hibs to be honest.

06-07-2014, 07:58 PM

I played in the same team as Callum at Primary, Secondary and Salvesen. He's a pussycat.:wink:

06-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Good news but disappointing to hear that in this day and age with our state of the art facilities our eating plans and equipment were not suitable, piss poor from Hibs to be honest.

Couldn't agree more.

It brought it home to me that East Mains hasn't been as well run as it might have been.

Hopefully the LD influence will help the whole club and get us back to where we need to be.

06-07-2014, 08:34 PM

Couple of other bits.

Lets hope it stands us in good stead for the new season.

06-07-2014, 09:54 PM
Couldn't agree more.

It brought it home to me that East Mains hasn't been as well run as it might have been.

Hopefully the LD influence will help the whole club and get us back to where we need to be.

Would that be down to the Academy manager J?

07-07-2014, 08:27 AM

By Academy manager, do you mean McDonaugh or Hendry, 2 very different people with 2 very different jobs, 1 being a top youth coach and the other being someone without a clue re the Academy.

07-07-2014, 09:31 AM

I think things like physio equipment and other pieces of kit would be down to the club and not the academy manager.

I would think Jeff the Chef would be responsible for organising of healthy menu.

I thought the academy manager would look after the youth side of things but the club would look after the training centre as a whole.

Only guessing though.

AinsterHibs
07-07-2014, 10:01 AM
Callum was from East Calder and assisted with our training on the odd occasion. Liked a few scoops but was brand new. Used to have a few pints with him and guys from the team in the Tap Shop and Grove. Hard as nails.

Lived right next door to me in Mid Calder, great guy.

07-07-2014, 08:29 PM
Is earns haw getting signed

nribs
07-07-2014, 08:42 PM
Is earns haw getting signed

Think we are getting hee-haw

07-07-2014, 09:28 PM
By Academy manager, do you mean McDonaugh or Hendry, 2 very different people with 2 very different jobs, 1 being a top youth coach and the other being someone without a clue re the Academy.

Was who I very much had in mind

I think things like physio equipment and other pieces of kit would be down to the club and not the academy manager.

I would think Jeff the Chef would be responsible for organising of healthy menu.

I thought the academy manager would look after the youth side of things but the club would look after the training centre as a whole.

Only guessing though.

Cheers J :aok: