PDA

View Full Version : Social media

IanM
05-07-2014, 05:15 AM
I'm not going to drag up another debate about abusing players/former players for their ability or the likes on social media however, maybe just stop and think about things before you send that next tweet

One of our players who's been the subject of abuse on Twitter almost daily for his role in our relegation last season ranging from his ability to vile personal abuse about his family (he retweeted something last month which I'm not bringing to the forum) and he's been thick skinned enough to take it on the chin so far. However yesterday, he revealed something about his personal life I don't think a lot of us Hibs fans know about, something very tragic that happened to a young family member and I couldn't help think that even although he was to blame for last season, we really don't know what people go through off the football pitch.

This isn't about being sympathetic towards the player, everyone goes through something in their lives they have to deal with I just feel that whether or not we think he's good enough, the personal abuse must stop and as long as he's a Hibs player the personal abuse shouldn't come direct from his own fans..

He's open to abuse as he's a football player on twitter, i reckon he takes things with a pinch of salt anyway but let's show a bit 'Hibs class' and not personally abuse someone we know pretty much nothing about..

Gutted I'm missing the game today! Hope the big lad cracks in a couple

H18Y GW
05-07-2014, 05:37 AM
No one should face the abuse, and good on him for not being Cyber bullied, I'd like to see the cowards talking the talk face to face.

hibbypostie
05-07-2014, 06:09 AM
No one should face the abuse, and good on him for not being Cyber bullied, I'd like to see the cowards talking the talk face to face.

me to they never will though they are just keyboard hardmen or sill wee boys

SouthamptonHibs
05-07-2014, 06:19 AM
Who is the player ie what's his name? I'm not on Twitter

Scouse Hibee
05-07-2014, 06:25 AM
I'm not going to drag up another debate about abusing players/former players for their ability or the likes on social media however, maybe just stop and think about things before you send that next tweet

One of our players who's been the subject of abuse on Twitter almost daily for his role in our relegation last season ranging from his ability to vile personal abuse about his family (he retweeted something last month which I'm not bringing to the forum) and he's been thick skinned enough to take it on the chin so far. However yesterday, he revealed something about his personal life I don't think a lot of us Hibs fans know about, something very tragic that happened to a young family member and I couldn't help think that even although he was to blame for last season, we really don't know what people go through off the football pitch.

This isn't about being sympathetic towards the player, everyone goes through something in their lives they have to deal with I just feel that whether or not we think he's good enough, the personal abuse must stop and as long as he's a Hibs player the personal abuse shouldn't come direct from his own fans..

He's open to abuse as he's a football player on twitter, i reckon he takes things with a pinch of salt anyway but let's show a bit 'Hibs class' and not personally abuse someone we know pretty much nothing about..

Not on twitter myself so have no idea who you are talking about, are you going to tell us?

bingo70
05-07-2014, 06:26 AM
Who is the player ie what's his name? I'm not on Twitter

Michael Nelson

SouthamptonHibs
05-07-2014, 06:31 AM
Michael Nelson

Cheers for Info.

IanM
05-07-2014, 06:32 AM
Not on twitter myself so have no idea who you are talking about, are you going to tell us?

Sorry mate, it's Nelson. I had thought I mentioned his name somewhere!

Scouse Hibee
05-07-2014, 06:34 AM
Sorry mate, it's Nelson. I had thought I mentioned his name somewhere!

:aok:

Lucius Apuleius
05-07-2014, 07:53 AM
There is no excuse for abusing anyone whether it be social media, messageboards or to their face. No excuse whatsoever.

Fife-Hibee
05-07-2014, 07:59 AM
Totally out of order !

greenginger
05-07-2014, 08:15 AM
I think Nelson has had more than his fair share of criticism.

Sure, he is limited as a footballer and not very mobile, but that is what you get on a free transfer at the end of the transfer window.

He always stood up to block shots and put his head in where it hurt. He was also back in the team with his fractured cheek bone protected by a face guard as soon as he was allowed.

Jack
05-07-2014, 08:23 AM
Of course there's always the option not to have an account or an incognito account that is known only to those that you want to share your cyber life with.

Ronniekirk
05-07-2014, 08:43 AM

Sure, he is limited as a footballer and not very mobile, but that is what you get on a free transfer at the end of the transfer window.

He always stood up to block shots and put his head in where it hurt. He was also back in the team with his fractured cheek bone protected by a face guard as soon as he was allowed.
I thought we paid a small fee for him but could be mistaken .He was brought in by jimmy Nic to provide some experience and be a tough no nonsense defender which is what he did when he first arrived .We know he lacked pace and distribution was not a strength .Think as season wore on his fitness level were found wanting and his confidence like a lot of players went .He is one of our older players but championship may give him a new lease of life However I think that's an area Stubbs will be looking to strengthen and he may depart later in the Transfer Window .

bigwheel
05-07-2014, 08:54 AM
There is no excuse for abusing anyone whether it be social media, messageboards or to their face. No excuse whatsoever.

agreed..it's much more a reflection on the sad lives of the abuser than the people they target....

Jones28
05-07-2014, 08:54 AM
I ain't exactly belsons biggest fan, but to slate someone over social media and get personal is totally wrong.

Hero76
05-07-2014, 08:56 AM
I'm sorry to hear he's been getting stick its not acceptable. Nelson is however a very limited football player and should be punted asap.

I don't know what's happening on twitter but he deserves criticism of his performances I'm sure no-one will say anything when he's getting the plaudits .

However personal abuse is not acceptable

jdships
05-07-2014, 09:00 AM
I ain't exactly belsons biggest fan, but to slate someone over social media and get personal is totally wrong.

:top marks

bigwheel
05-07-2014, 09:05 AM
I'm sorry to hear he's been getting stick its not acceptable. Nelson is however a very limited football player and should be punted asap.

I don't know what's happening on twitter but he deserves critism of his performances I'm sure noone will say anything when he's getting the plaudits .

No Hibs players deserves the personal abuse that Nelson has taken on twitter..regardless of his performances. People use social media to say things they would never dare to say to people's face.

Hero76
05-07-2014, 09:10 AM
No Hibs players deserves the personal abuse that Nelson has taken on twitter..regardless of his performances. People use social media to say things they would never dare to say to people's face.

Nelson should restrict access to his account or simply leave twitter (and hibs) again I don't condone personal abuse but do not have any sympathy .

jdships
05-07-2014, 09:14 AM

Agree totally :thumbsup:
I know of a couple of youngsters ( not footballers and not related ) who were bullied on " social media" to the point we feared for their lives and it took many weeks of close friendship to sort things out !
I refuse to be involved with F/Book /Twitter etc.
Email or phone suffices for me :greengrin

Nando™
05-07-2014, 09:36 AM
Why do people blame and abuse the players? It's not their fault they're not good enough, it's the fault of the people that brought them here.

Abusing players in any form makes no sense whatsoever and is utterly baffling behaviour.

down-the-slope
05-07-2014, 09:48 AM
Its why I refer to it as 'Anti Social Media' - its a modern disease that has more drawbacks than benefits - technology is a great thing if you use it well and not let it / 'social norms' to control you.

Just have a look during this holiday season at the amount of people who miss out on company they are with in reality because they are 'online' with others in cyberspace...very odd.

IanM
05-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Nelson should restrict access to his account or simply leave twitter (and hibs) again I don't condone personal abuse but do not have any sympathy .

He does, he's had no option but to recently! Most of what Nelson posts are retweets about children's charities, children's football, keeps in touch with family etc so I reckon having his twitter is fine. As I said it's not about sympathy just more awareness that one of our players is being verbally abused by 'Hibs fans' some of which isn't football related.

The post I mentioned to earlier was so vile you really have to worry about the state of people's mentality.

He takes stick for his performances and I'm sure he'll probably agree he deserves it, but it should end there

I agree tho, no sympathy from me for last season!

TheFamous1875
05-07-2014, 10:58 AM
I don't use Twitter, but couldn't the Hibs Twitter page, .net and the Bounce or any other prominent Hibs pages on Facebook or Twitter get together and make a page called something along the lines of "Hibs against Twitter abuse"? An online union against this type of behaviour, not only as a reassurance to our players, but as an example to young fans and users that online abuse and bullying is a very serious thing no matter who the receiver is, be they famous or not.

Hibs players and fans could possibly consult the page on how to deal with abuse, etc. the club and fan pages could get behind it and show that this behaviour shouldn't be tolerated,

I think it would be a great thing if Hibs had a part in changing the culture of abusing players and the general culture of online abuse as the norm.

Instead of fans ganging up on players, the young fans who use social media can be taught from an early age that what you say on the internet does matter and that online abuse is wrong and will not be tolorated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Scouse Hibee
05-07-2014, 11:03 AM
I don't use twitter but do use FB and of course this site, I do find it quite incredible some of the stuff I read on public forums that folk post about their personal life and circumstances which in my opinion shouldn't be shared on a public forum.

Eyrie
05-07-2014, 11:18 AM
Of course there's always the option not to have an account or an incognito account that is known only to those that you want to share your cyber life with.
I disagree - that's the cyber equivalent of expecting them to shop in disguise in case a disgruntled fan recognises them in the supermarket. Wy shouldn't they participate in the same way that the general public do?

Why do people blame and abuse the players? It's not their fault they're not good enough, it's the fault of the people that brought them here.

Abusing players in any form makes no sense whatsoever and is utterly baffling behaviour.
Two good posts that sum up my attitude to the matter.

lapsedhibee
05-07-2014, 07:40 PM

Government's fault. Since they started taking the beating up of wives and girfriends seriously - and I believe you're not even allowed to kick the family dog any more - there's no other legal outlet for psychopaths to vent whatever it is that they need to vent.

bingo70
26-07-2014, 09:23 PM
For anybody that's interested Nelson has been retweeting on his wife's behalf as she's raising money fir charity linked to their tragedy.

I read her just giving page and it's difficult reading, especially as a parent myself.

Unfurtunately I'm bot in a position to donate any finances myself but hopefully she can raise the Money she's hoping to.

Diclonius
26-07-2014, 09:36 PM
If I was a professional footballer or had any career that required being in the public eye I would keep all of my social media accounts private. The amount of deeply personal abuse that goes about is sickening. I'm not Nelson's biggest fan on the footballing field but I would never send a player direct, personal abuse over the internet. Not even S****l.

heretoday
26-07-2014, 10:28 PM
If I was a professional footballer or had any career that required being in the public eye I would keep all of my social media accounts private. The amount of deeply personal abuse that goes about is sickening. I'm not Nelson's biggest fan on the footballing field but I would never send a player direct, personal abuse over the internet. Not even S****l.

Correct.

NAE NOOKIE
26-07-2014, 10:36 PM
Abuse about your playing ability, or lack of it, comes with the territory in football. But that's where it should end.

Personal abuse especially against a players family is out of order and pathetic. Not Hibs class ..... not even hearts class FFS.

emerald green
27-07-2014, 10:49 AM
There are mad, bad, and sad people out there, and to them access to the internet is like winning the Lottery.

If I was a footballer, or anyone with a high profile, I would stay well clear of social media such as Facebook etc. Nobody should have to suffer the sort of abuse you are talking about.

Crossgates Hibs
27-07-2014, 12:32 PM

Forster and McGivern were far more culpable than Nelson. His passing has looked ok in pre season games not his fault if an idiot of a manager wanted the ball hoofed all the time. IMO some of last seasons players will be like new signings having been allowed to play. Butcher got us relegated last season and good riddance to him.

YehButNoBut
27-07-2014, 12:53 PM
Tweet from JC.....

@Jasoncummings35: Happy Birthday my broski @AaronDunsmore96 xxx ...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10540392_832464756766626_8147197818330203262_n.jpg

GraniteCityHibs
27-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Tweet from JC.....

@Jasoncummings35: Happy Birthday my broski @AaronDunsmore96 xxx ...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10540392_832464756766626_8147197818330203262_n.jpg

Taaawiitttt-tawoooooooo

Northernhibee
27-07-2014, 01:13 PM
Still more of a stunner than your average Jambo.

Wakeyhibee
27-07-2014, 02:09 PM

It appears he ignores this horrible crap his reply to the donations :- Off to bed now, game tomorrow. Hibs fans doing themselves proud with the donations 2night #massivethanks Have a read https://www.justgiving.com/dannihan/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=fundraisingpage&utm_content=dannihan&utm_campaign=pfp-tweet …

snedzuk
29-07-2014, 01:58 PM
It appears he ignores this horrible crap his reply to the donations :- Off to bed now, game tomorrow. Hibs fans doing themselves proud with the donations 2night #massivethanks Have a read https://www.justgiving.com/dannihan/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=fundraisingpage&utm_content=dannihan&utm_campaign=pfp-tweet …

I see from this link that Dawn Nelson is only £150 from her worthy sponsorship target so c'mon Hibbys - lets help her reach it.