PDA

View Full Version : What kind of signing would create enthusiasm/sell STs?

patlowe
04-07-2014, 09:29 AM
We all want to see new players arrive at the club. We are desperate for signings; some are suggesting that season ticket sales are dependent upon those we bring in. It seems that if we sign a few 'quality' players then people will stick their hand in their pocket and back the club again (Petrie protests notwithstanding...).

But out of genuine interest, within our budget, what level of player do Hibs fans want to see us bring in? I'm not trying to be provocative, I'm just not 100% sure there are players out there that can meet our current expectations as a support and subsequently guarantee ST sales.

Let's see - we've gone down the route of proven Premiership players (if we can still attract them ) - and by the way if I see Liam Craig chest, turn and hoof one more time I'll probably tear my own eyes out. Journeymen from down South? Hmm, you can keep your Danny Haynes etc thank you very much. Young loanees from the Premier League in England? That didn't work out too well last season, or two years before that. Guys with potential from Scottish lower leagues? As usual, this club has no ambition!

I'm being a bit facetious here but my point is, I don't think there's much Dempster and Stubbs can do right now to generate excitement through player signings. We're not going to be bringing in world beaters and we have been around the block with journeymen, loans etc so many times over the last few years that until we start to see results on the park, I can't see a sudden burst of enthusiasm from the support any time soon.

I'm not having a go at any fans here, I would just genuinely like to know what kind of player coming through the door would get us all enthusiastic again? Is there scope within the markets we shop in to bring in a player with the 'wow' factor that will get us back on side?

Crops73
04-07-2014, 09:35 AM
We all want to see new players arrive at the club. We are desperate for signings; some are suggesting that season ticket sales are dependent upon those we bring in. It seems that if we sign a few 'quality' players then people will stick their hand in their pocket and back the club again (Petrie protests notwithstanding...).

But out of genuine interest, within our budget, what level of player do Hibs fans want to see us bring in? I'm not trying to be provocative, I'm just not 100% sure there are players out there that can meet our current expectations as a support and subsequently guarantee ST sales.

Let's see - we've gone down the route of proven Premiership players (if we can still attract them ) - and by the way if I see Liam Craig chest, turn and hoof one more time I'll probably tear my own eyes out. Journeymen from down South? Hmm, you can keep your Danny Haynes etc thank you very much. Young loanees from the Premier League in England? That didn't work out too well last season, or two years before that. Guys with potential from Scottish lower leagues? As usual, this club has no ambition!

I'm being a bit facetious here but my point is, I don't think there's much Dempster and Stubbs can do right now to generate excitement through player signings. We're not going to be bringing in world beaters and we have been around the block with journeymen, loans etc so many times over the last few years that until we start to see results on the park, I can't see a sudden burst of enthusiasm from the support any time soon.

I'm not having a go at any fans here, I would just genuinely like to know what kind of player coming through the door would get us all enthusiastic again? Is there scope within the markets we shop in to bring in a player with the 'wow' factor that will get us back on side?

Alex Cropley!

Craig_HFC
04-07-2014, 09:37 AM
Ronaldo & Messi both signing for us still wouldn't be good enough for some folk on here.

WHUHibs
04-07-2014, 09:38 AM
I didn't agree with discounts etc but that's a personal view. However, I think that the only way it will boost will be :

Rod Petrie to leave - this would be positive

Inspirational signings to whet our appetite

Pre season good performances

Good result against Rangers !

These I think would help in addition to the payment plan,,,

hibs4thecup1988
04-07-2014, 09:41 AM
Ronaldo & Messi both signing for us still wouldn't be good enough for some folk on here.

Totally agree!

Personally... I want a player that would run at teams - ie mcfadden, a strong defender who is hard in tackles ie mcpake from 2 years ago, and a striker that can put the ball in the net.

I would sign in an instant if McFadden signed though

Jones28
04-07-2014, 09:47 AM
Just showing some ****ing ambition would maybe get the ball rolling.

Hibby_Paul
04-07-2014, 10:19 AM
James McFadden would be a bit exciting, if his fitness s

Hibbyradge
04-07-2014, 10:22 AM

Not unless they brought a keeper with them.

Keith_M
04-07-2014, 10:24 AM
At this moment in time, signing just about ANYBODY would be a positive move.

:greengrin

Smartie
04-07-2014, 10:42 AM
To be honest, I think the season ticket ship has sailed.

I honestly cannot see any player that would excite us joining us in our current predicament and on our current budget. Our previous record in the transfer market gives me no cause for optimism either.

That's not to say we're not going to sign good players. But it's more a case of Stubbs unearthing gems and blending them with what we've got and playing the right way. It worked for Mowbray.

More chance of attracting walk-ups that season tickets imo. I'm also not saying that this is the wrong approach - quite the opposite. But I reserve all judgement until I've seen players play and take nothing on reputation alone.

spike220
04-07-2014, 11:21 AM

SParky

BT58
04-07-2014, 11:32 AM
2 wingers with pace :agree::agree:

Diclonius
04-07-2014, 11:35 AM
A signing.

I know it's a bit of a stretch that we might pull off actually making a signing, but I think it might make an impact.

southsider
04-07-2014, 11:36 AM
We have (still i believe) a cool million pound interest free loan from STF awaiting use. If we do not come up it shall cost us more. Spend now and pay it back over,say, 10 years. LG will score 40 goals in this league. Bid £750, 000 to smelik and use the rest as a signing on fee. Sorted.

Haymaker
04-07-2014, 11:38 AM

Damn right! I'd want Neymar and that Rodriguez fella too. And Neuer in goals.

Captain Trips
04-07-2014, 11:39 AM
The Rangers have signed in Boyd 20 goals probably, we are serious about going up we need to be doing the same.

Keith_M
04-07-2014, 01:03 PM
The Rangers have signed in Boyd 20 goals probably, we are serious about going up we need to be doing the same.

I'm not 100% on this but, I think there's a rule where two clubs can't actually sign the same player.

:wink:

Captain Trips
04-07-2014, 01:42 PM
I'm not 100% on this but, I think there's a rule where two clubs can't actually sign the same player.

:wink:

Anything is possible involving "the Rangers"

emerald green
04-07-2014, 04:00 PM
I think the big problem getting the standard, and type, of player the club needs might be that Hibs are either not prepared, or are not able, to pay the sort of wages quality players (or even what I would describe as average players) can demand, even from lower league clubs in England.

The fact that the club are not selling nearly enough season tickets will not help. Also, does anyone know if Hibs operate a "fixed" wage structure? I've heard this spoken about, but I don't know whether or not it's complete nonsense.

PS: I know I've not named any specific signing, because I'm not really sure to be honest. I'm not sure there are all that many good players available right now that we can afford. Maybe Hibs should just sign players we cant afford? (Just joking!)

PPS: This is NOT an attempt at being negative! Just my honest opinion and comments FWIW.

Shields Hibee
04-07-2014, 07:09 PM
When we have attendances that are usually less than 50% of the capacity & prices as they are, I can see why folks are less than enthusiastic at buying ST's. The sort of player I'd like to see is someone who shows fight, ambition & can pass / cross a ball to his own player.

If Stubbs can get guys from down South either on loan, its a start. The problem is though, at present, we aren't exactly a club you'd want to sign for. Still in board transition, a manager who hasn't managed at first team level before & championship football. On FM 2014, Rod never gave me much so had to go for loans or freebies and hope the existing lads didn't get too upset at challenging for places!

Scouse Hibee
04-07-2014, 07:13 PM
I'd settle for players who make an impact for Hibs regardless of where they've been before. So I suppose I'm saying several signings who ever they are will do it for me.

pacorosssco
04-07-2014, 07:36 PM
Petrie leaving would be huge lify

Dashing Bob S
04-07-2014, 07:56 PM
Petrie leaving would herald an unbridled sense of optimism, and many people would come back. That's about all that will sell tickets. Without Petrie leaving there is a massive credibility gap that the club simply cannot breach just by signing a few decent-by-championship-standard players.

I think the only thing that will do it this season are performances between now and Christmas and a take up of half-season tickets. I believe that unless Petrie walks, we're pretty much done on ST sales now.

pacorosssco
04-07-2014, 10:33 PM
Petrie leaving would herald an unbridled sense of optimism, and many people would come back. That's about all that will sell tickets. Without Petrie leaving there is a massive credibility gap that the club simply cannot breach just by signing a few decent-by-championship-standard players.

I think the only thing that will do it this season are performances between now and Christmas and a take up of half-season tickets. I believe that unless Petrie walks, we're pretty much done on ST sales now.

agreed and the mans stubbornness holds no bounds. 3k potential seasons if he walked maybe more. No footballers needed

Forza Fred
04-07-2014, 11:55 PM
Got to be honest and say never Have I been so despondent close to a season start

My worry is that the absolutely essential signings we make in the next week or so, will be seen as no better replacements for those we have just punted.

I can't think of a better goalie available than Mc Donald and now he has signed for one of our closest rivals

I think most people have realised that we won't be going up this season
And that has affected morale.

We really need a couple of WOW signings, but I can't see that happening.

Spike Mandela
05-07-2014, 06:34 AM
Got to be honest and say never Have I been so despondent close to a season start

My worry is that the absolutely essential signings we make in the next week or so, will be seen as no better replacements for those we have just punted.

I can't think of a better goalie available than Mc Donald and now he has signed for one of our closest rivals

I think most people have realised that we won't be going up this season
And that has affected morale.

We really need a couple of WOW signings, but I can't see that happening.

I share your feelings about the apparent lack of preparation for next season done so far but just because you personally can't think of a better goalie than McDonald doesn't mean there isn't a whole world of available goalies out there that are better him.

Every year .net appears to cobble together a very narrow list of available players that we should go for and if we don't get them we've lost out.

People like Stubbs will have a vast knowledge and information of keepers from lower leagues in England, from reserve football, from sources in Europe, from Marsella and even some 'name' goalkeepers in the twilight of their career.

The goalkeeping position is obviously a critical position in any team but let's wait and see what he comes up with. Imagine the possibilities, don't fret over losing mediocrity like McDonald.

SouthamptonHibs
05-07-2014, 06:44 AM
Four solid proven quality players from the Championship in England, pay them the 5/7/10k a week, build our team around them (quality), then fill the gaps with the young team and players we have (cheap wages). Maybe even get a couple of loans in from Everton if Stubbs thinks that any of there youth team are good enough.
Also grab a few cheaper players from the diddy leagues to plug the gaps (league 1 & 2 in England).

IF we get the right quality with the right mix of youth with a couple of journey men to plug the gaps you never no, we might actually get a football team worth supporting!

Petrie I mean Leanne get it sorted haha

Spike Mandela
05-07-2014, 06:48 AM
Four solid proven quality players from the Championship in England, pay them the 5/7/10k a week, build our team around them (quality), then fill the gaps with the young team and players we have (cheap wages). Maybe even get a couple of loans in from Everton if Stubbs thinks that any of there youth team are good enough.
Also grab a few cheaper players from the diddy leagues to plug the gaps (league 1 & 2 in England).

IF we get the right quality with the right mix of youth with a couple of journey men to plug the gaps you never no, we might actually get a football team worth supporting!

Petrie I mean Leanne get it sorted haha

:shocked: Divide these figures by 5 and you might be closer to the mark.

bingo70
05-07-2014, 06:49 AM
I want us to sign foreigners with good names.

Irrational I know as there's plenty ***** foreigners out there but that's what would get me excited.

SouthamptonHibs
05-07-2014, 06:53 AM
:shocked: Divide these figures by 5 and you might be closer to the mark.

That's the sad part.
Hibs need to pay a few players "good money" to attract the right quality we need to 1. Get fans excited = should sell more tickets 2. Help get us winning games = more chance of promotion 3. Prob the most important under our football model is develop our young players.

We've not had the quality at Easter Road in years, our youth players are missing out on working with top pro's.
Better exposure to the top players should make the young players better which in turn may lead Hibs to unleash a few gem' s which other clubs might want to buy from us like a few years ago (Brown, O'Connor etc)

Brooster
05-07-2014, 06:56 AM
A speedy striker in his early 30s with international and premiership goals to his name would be nice!

SouthamptonHibs
05-07-2014, 06:57 AM
A speedy striker in his early 30s with international and premiership goals to his name would be nice!

Can we sign Kenny Miller from the Rangers? He would have been a great signing for us, fits the bill

bingo70
05-07-2014, 07:03 AM

Rob earnshaw I pressume?

Brooster
05-07-2014, 07:23 AM
Rob earnshaw I pressume?

He would fit the bill.

bingo70
05-07-2014, 07:25 AM
He would fit the bill.

Reckon this could be a possibility?

3pm
05-07-2014, 07:41 AM
He would fit the bill.

You'd like to think he could cause some damage in this league!

LancsHibs
05-07-2014, 07:52 AM
Rob earnshaw I pressume?

Good shout, is there anything in this or is it just wishful thinking? He would surly bang in the goals in the championship:agree:. Earnshaw is 33, he spend the latter part of last season at Blackpool and played about 15 minutes of football unable to get into a honking team! But before that he was playing MLS at Toronto and I believe scored a few goals and was greatly liked (maybe one of our Canadian .netters can confirm)

Forza Fred
05-07-2014, 09:33 AM
I share your feelings about the apparent lack of preparation for next season done so far but just because you personally can't think of a better goalie than McDonald doesn't mean there isn't a whole world of available goalies out there that are better him.

Every year .net appears to cobble together a very narrow list of available players that we should go for and if we don't get them we've lost out.

People like Stubbs will have a vast knowledge and information of keepers from lower leagues in England, from reserve football, from sources in Europe, from Marsella and even some 'name' goalkeepers in the twilight of their career.

The goalkeeping position is obviously a critical position in any team but let's wait and see what he comes up with. Imagine the possibilities, don't fret over losing mediocrity like McDonald.

It's the possibilities, as opposed to the certainty that makes me fret though.

We need certainty, not uncertainty.