PDA

View Full Version : Introducing futsal at youth level?

RN Hibee
02-07-2014, 07:50 PM
So after reading the article featured on the BBC website with regards to Brazilian football and it's roots in futsal, with quotes from some of the worlds greatest giving a lot of commendation to the activity, I wondered what the opinion on here would be towards Hibs introducing it at a youth (and possibly senior) level, now I'm not 'in the know' regarding our training regime so for all I know we already do (though I doubt it) but the impact of it seemingly can't be denied.

As well as improving ball control and encouraging players to keep it on the ground, one of the biggest things I noticed was that both David Luiz and Marcelo belonged to futsal clubs, the difference that could be made by actually having footballing defenders rather than the likes of Nelson (sorry to use the favourite scapegoat) playing for us would be massive in my opinion.

Ultimately if it was introduced at youth level it would take at least ten years for us to really see the impact I reckon, but I see no reason why the senior players can't have 1 or 2 hour long sessions a week with it, surely it would make some improvement :confused:

J-C
02-07-2014, 07:52 PM
Just go back to being a kid and playing in the playground with a tennis ball and how hard that was to play with, thousands grew up doing this years ago and better quality ones were produced.

The_Exile
02-07-2014, 08:14 PM
I started playing football/having a kick about from time to time with my eldest (aged 8) with the dugs tennis ball, that was 3 months ago when the weather started getting better. Ball control is like night and day from before the winter. I thought I was a genius but alas must've seen this futsal stuff and passed it off as my own original idea :greengrin

The "mini" mini Messi!!

HibbiesandtheBaddies
02-07-2014, 09:07 PM
So after reading the article featured on the BBC website with regards to Brazilian football and it's roots in futsal, with quotes from some of the worlds greatest giving a lot of commendation to the activity, I wondered what the opinion on here would be towards Hibs introducing it at a youth (and possibly senior) level, now I'm not 'in the know' regarding our training regime so for all I know we already do (though I doubt it) but the impact of it seemingly can't be denied.

As well as improving ball control and encouraging players to keep it on the ground, one of the biggest things I noticed was that both David Luiz and Marcelo belonged to futsal clubs, the difference that could be made by actually having footballing defenders rather than the likes of Nelson (sorry to use the favourite scapegoat) playing for us would be massive in my opinion.

Ultimately if it was introduced at youth level it would take at least ten years for us to really see the impact I reckon, but I see no reason why the senior players can't have 1 or 2 hour long sessions a week with it, surely it would make some improvement :confused:

Yes!

Futsal = football

Ozyhibby
02-07-2014, 09:19 PM
Lots of kids already play. Most of ESSDA affiliated clubs play futsal over the winter.
It's a great sport for learning technique and creative play.
What we really need is for the schools to pick it up as they have the gym halls and more time with the kids.

Forza Fred
02-07-2014, 09:38 PM

Seems tailor made for Scotland.

As a kid I can remember standing on a full sized pitch waiting for the ball to come to me so I could get my five or so touches a game, standing I might add in the pouring rain or with snow falling

With futsal, it's indoor smaller numbers and smaller size ensuring lots of touches and involvement by everyone, but the main thing being the amount of touches everybody gets, hopefully leading to better control....tha't the theory, but it's so bloody obvious.

Ozyhibby
02-07-2014, 09:58 PM
Seems tailor made for Scotland.

As a kid I can remember standing on a full sized pitch waiting for the ball to come to me so I could get my five or so touches a game, standing I might add in the pouring rain or with snow falling

With futsal, it's indoor smaller numbers and smaller size ensuring lots of touches and involvement by everyone, but the main thing being the amount of touches everybody gets, hopefully leading to better control....tha't the theory, but it's so bloody obvious.

It's so obvious that it's already being done.
Kids in Scotland only play 4-a-side until they are 9 years old. They then move to 7-a-side until they are 12.

RN Hibee
02-07-2014, 10:04 PM
It's so obvious that it's already being done.
Kids in Scotland only play 4-a-side until they are 9 years old. They then move to 7-a-side until they are 12.

The smaller numbers isn't the defining factor of futsal though, the smaller, heavier ball means it's harder to play in the air, encouraging players to keep it on the floor, a smaller pitch restricts space improving a players control and dribbling and teaches them to do everything in a much more refined manner.

Northernhibee
02-07-2014, 10:07 PM
I recommended this to the club a while back but wasn't really taken anywhere.

RN Hibee
02-07-2014, 10:11 PM
I recommended this to the club a while back but wasn't really taken anywhere.

Thats a shame, could really make a difference, now would be the ideal time with so much changing at the club.

Ozyhibby
03-07-2014, 06:12 AM
The smaller numbers isn't the defining factor of futsal though, the smaller, heavier ball means it's harder to play in the air, encouraging players to keep it on the floor, a smaller pitch restricts space improving a players control and dribbling and teaches them to do everything in a much more refined manner.

We use a smaller pitch as well. ;-)
Futsal is best played in gym halls that we just don't have access to at a reasonable price. The real change would be if we could persuade the schools to take it up. They are in the opposite situation from the clubs in that they all have gym halls but they don't all have outdoor pitches.
I'm not disagreeing that futsal is great, we do play it over winter, it's just that we don't have the facilities to play it all the time.

Greendreamer
03-07-2014, 08:51 AM
I had been trying to get my wee lad along to football training at an early age and couple of years ago ended up at a class held by a an ex pro. 20 bairns and him as the only coach. Now, he was good with the kids but only him, using size 5 balls a ball that some of them could hardly kick 5 metres and even tried to get them to head it !!

It was good for the boys to round around but it wasn't conducive to helping them to either work on skills or group involvement.

Got him to council one and it was like night and day. 1 coach to 6 / 8 kids max smaller ball and some great drills, time, venue was the issue which made it hard to get to.

If you look online, you will find some great articles about various disciplines of youth coaching, working with the ball, zones, smaller pitches. Having kids using a ball that they can pass/kick the width of the pitch they are playing on is the key to ensure they can enjoy the skills. Again, the 'winning' mentality is not the main aim, the techniques and skills to be a footballer and not just a 'keeper/defender/midfielder/striker ( tick the box you want to be ).

The councils have built Muga ( multi use games ) courts at schools and in parks, hard surfaces with markings for several sports and have goals . These could and should be made use of all year round. We just don't see kids using them, perhaps too many only train at classes and don't want to play like we did every moment we could as kids, as always reported too many alternatives these days.

However, as pointed out Futsal is a very real alternative that has never been subscribed to on a bigger scale and it's something that could be pushed at primary school level.

TRC
03-07-2014, 10:56 AM
We played it at one club I was at when I was 15-16 which is 15 years ago nearly but I'm still humpty