PDA

View Full Version : Coventry want Hanlon?

Bronson
02-07-2014, 10:02 AM
According to the Coventry Telegraph. Would be a terrible idea to sell him now, probably our best player IMO and the squad is down to the bare bones as it is. I say 'sell' because I assume he isn't free to find another club and is wanted... or at least I hope. Nothing would surprise me at hibs anymore.:rolleyes:

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/transfer-news/rumour-mill-coventry-city-lining-7356334#.U7PNUbR3OaU.twitter

Brightside
02-07-2014, 10:05 AM
According to the Coventry Telegraph. Would be a terrible idea to sell him now, probably our best player IMO and the squad is down to the bare bones as it is. I say 'sell' because I assume he isn't free to find another club and is wanted... or at least I hope. Nothing would surprise me at hibs anymore.:rolleyes:

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/transfer-news/rumour-mill-coventry-city-lining-7356334#.U7PNUbR3OaU.twitter

They can't afford him...its made up by the Sun and copied by local paper.

lucky
02-07-2014, 10:06 AM
As his absence proved at the end of season Hanlon is the cornerstone of our defence but every player has a price. If they offer over £300k then I would deal but not if it's only a few grand

Diclonius
02-07-2014, 10:09 AM
Let's see if we have a backbone or not.

If Hanlon doesn't want to go, we have ZERO reason to sell him as the transfer funds will only be enough to bring in an inferior player.

I can see Dempster desperately trying to restrain Petrie from sending a "bite their hand off" response.

Keith_M
02-07-2014, 10:12 AM
I thought Coventry were in deep doo-doo financially. How can they afford to sign anybody?

:confused:

Mark79
02-07-2014, 10:18 AM
I thought Coventry were in deep doo-doo financially. Howe can they afford to sign anybody?

See hearts or rangers. They seem to manage the same with zero cash.

Keith_M
02-07-2014, 10:22 AM
See hearts or rangers. They seem to manage the same with zero cash.

Which of those two are in a rent dispute with Ricoh Arena and currently play at a stadium with a capacity of 7,500.. 35 miles from home

Nutmegged
02-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Paul Hanlon isn't a world beater but he is alright, working alongside someone like Alan Stubbs could only be beneficial to him in my opinion, get another CB who he trusts beside him and I think you'll see his game come on leaps and bounds.

He is definitely a player I'd be looking to keep

ballengeich
02-07-2014, 10:29 AM
Even if Coventry do put in an acceptable offer (and given their financial state I'd insist on the full sum up-front) I'd hope that Hanlon has enough ambition and faith in his own ability to turn them down. He can do better if he does leave.

Keep him if possible.

blackpoolhibs
02-07-2014, 10:31 AM
They can't afford him...its made up by the Sun and copied by local paper.

I thought he was going to the EPL? :confused:

Bronson
02-07-2014, 10:34 AM

Despite the obvious sarcasm, Fulham were interested a few years ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/15531286

brian6-2
02-07-2014, 10:34 AM
Think this is dead in the water, was told Paul had already agreed terms with them 2/3 weeks ago only to be told by stubbs he wasnt going anywhere the minute he came in, Which he was delighted about.

Brightside
02-07-2014, 11:00 AM

i rightly pointed out that he had been looked at. I also dont think he's going anywhere for now....and if he does i want my sponsor money back. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
02-07-2014, 11:09 AM
Despite the obvious sarcasm, Fulham were interested a few years ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/15531286

They were tracking his progress, and decided he was not good enough. Even though they were relegated they did not come back for him, and signed the Motherwell lad a few weeks ago. I'm just sick of folk telling me that he's a EPL player, when in reality he's a semi decent SPFL centre back who's prone to make a gaff now and then.

Hanlon will never be a Premiership player in England, and i doubt he'd get a club in their Championship.

scoopyboy
02-07-2014, 11:54 AM
I thought Coventry were in deep doo-doo financially. Howe can they afford to sign anybody?

They would have been looking to get him without paying a fee as originally he was told he was free to go.

If Hibs have changed their minds and are looking for a fee then I would say the deal is stone dead.

Keith_M
02-07-2014, 12:03 PM
They would have been looking to get him without paying a fee as originally he was told he was free to go.

If Hibs have changed their minds and are looking for a fee then I would say the deal is stone dead.

Good, because we should be keeping the few half-decent players we've got.

Bronson
02-07-2014, 12:08 PM
They were tracking his progress, and decided he was not good enough. Even though they were relegated they did not come back for him, and signed the Motherwell lad a few weeks ago. I'm just sick of folk telling me that he's a EPL player, when in reality he's a semi decent SPFL centre back who's prone to make a gaff now and then.

Hanlon will never be a Premiership player in England, and i doubt he'd get a club in their Championship.

It was 3 years ago, no one's saying they're still after him but the fact of the matter is they did look at him while they were in the prem in 2011. I don't think anyone will tell you he's prem quality but he's a very good Scottish prem centre half who still has plenty of time to improve, he's only 24.

Bronson
02-07-2014, 12:09 PM
User Actions
Follow

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/462346377440534528/2RKi32g0_bigger.jpegPaul Barnes‏@STVPaul (https://twitter.com/STVPaul)

Coventry have dropped interest in Hibs defender Paul Hanlon. Terry Butcher told player he could leave but Alan Stubbs wants him to stay.

Diclonius
02-07-2014, 12:13 PM
User Actions
Follow

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/462346377440534528/2RKi32g0_bigger.jpegPaul Barnes‏@STVPaul (https://twitter.com/STVPaul)

Coventry have dropped interest in Hibs defender Paul Hanlon. Terry Butcher told player he could leave but Alan Stubbs wants him to stay.

Excellent. :aok:

That more than ever has convinced me that Butcher had absolutely no clue and we made the right choice in disposing of him.

blackpoolhibs
02-07-2014, 12:43 PM
It was 3 years ago, no one's saying they're still after him but the fact of the matter is they did look at him while they were in the prem in 2011. I don't think anyone will tell you he's prem quality but he's a very good Scottish prem centre half who still has plenty of time to improve, he's only 24.

I agree with most of that, but ahem Underscore, you really need to read some of his posts. :greengrin

In my opinion Hanlon is a decent player, is he replaceable, hell yes. Although there's quite a few i'd shift before his name came to the top.

Brightside
02-07-2014, 12:51 PM
I agree with most of that, but ahem Underscore, you really need to read some of his posts. :greengrin

In my opinion Hanlon is a decent player, is he replaceable, hell yes. Although there's quite a few i'd shift before his name came to the top.

Best defender in the league and yes i do think he is good enough to play in the EPL. (There are some really horrible defenders even in the EPL!!) **** me he's twice the player Smalling is!

Hibiza
02-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Decent money ... take it . average player. over rated , cause everyone about him was crap.

ALF TUPPER
02-07-2014, 12:55 PM
Would be good to have a match fit and fully committed Paul Hanlon in the squad for the new season.

Doubt there will be much more motivation for the boy than the new gaffer coming in and telling your staying.

:thumbsup:

Mon the Hibees !!

Keith_M
02-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Best defender in the league and yes i do think he is good enough to play in the EPL. (There are some really horrible defenders even in the EPL!!) **** me he's twice the player Smalling is!

:dizzy:

Bronson
02-07-2014, 01:01 PM

That is a very bold statement mate haha, he's Championship quality IMO but I wouldn't want him up against the likes of Aguero, Van Persie etc every week, huge step up down there.

AlbertK86
02-07-2014, 01:05 PM

No danger is he EPL quality

blackpoolhibs
02-07-2014, 01:09 PM

He wouldn't get a game for Blackpool, and he's a better player than Smalling. :faf:

Brightside
02-07-2014, 01:14 PM
He wouldn't get a game for Blackpool, and he's a better player than Smalling. :faf:

:na na::na na:

Bleeds green
02-07-2014, 01:35 PM
Cannot let this happen!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TowerHibs
02-07-2014, 03:23 PM

your loyalty to Hanlon is commendable but all that is nonsense in my opinion. Half decent centre half when he plays against someone who lets him stroll about or cover. Terrible and causes goals if the centre forward noises him up. PH is about 1-1.5 stone too light and hates a battle.

Brightside
02-07-2014, 03:36 PM
your loyalty to Hanlon is commendable but all that is nonsense in my opinion. Half decent centre half when he plays against someone who lets him stroll about or cover. Terrible and causes goals if the centre forward noises him up. PH is about 1-1.5 stone too light and hates a battle.

Hates a battle? The lad played for 20 mins with concusion! And he doesnt just stroll about he's just technically a much better footballer than anyone else we've had in that position for years. Anyway im saying no more on it....even i'm getting bored sticking up for him! You will all come to love Franco Baresi. :greengrin

TowerHibs
02-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Hates a battle? The lad played for 20 mins with concusion! And he doesnt just stroll about he's just technically a much better footballer than anyone else we've had in that position for years. Anyway im saying no more on it....even i'm getting bored sticking up for him! You will all come to love Franco Baresi. :greengrin

Technically better when he got papped by the same movement TWICE by Gary Hooper in the Scottish Cup final - the same Gary Hooper that couldnt get sniff against EPL defenders.

Nah i'm sorry, like i say, your loyalty is commendable and understandable but being a ball playing centre half and being able to read the game does not make you technically better and does not make you a good defender. Your main job is to defend. If he was the top defender in the league, he would have been out of Easter Road years ago

ekhibee
02-07-2014, 04:25 PM

Yep, totally agree.

Malthibby
02-07-2014, 04:29 PM
I like Hanlon & don't want him going anywhere, but more importantly, where will we get btter just now (strictly rhetorical?

HIBERNIAN-0762
02-07-2014, 04:48 PM

:faf:

Smartie
02-07-2014, 04:53 PM
I think we've now got rid of all of the duds from last year so I'm happy not to see any more leave.

If there was only one player we were to keep hold of it would be Paul Hanlon (shortly followed by Lewis Stevenson imo). In the all too short decent run we had after Butcher arrived we looked solid at the back with Hanlon beside Nelson and Stevenson was the other positive from that spell at LM. Yes, beside Hanlon during that spell even Nelson looked good.

Our season went belly up when Hanlon got injured iirc just after the new year, we looked lost without him.

IMO he is one of those that we'll only miss when/if he's gone. Getting him on a free (can't believe Butcher was even contemplating this btw) would have been a magnificent bit of business for someone.

I have no idea where people think we are going to get players better than Hanlon from who are prepared to play for us in our current predicament.

Crops73
02-07-2014, 04:58 PM
Paul Hanlon isn't a world beater but he is alright, working alongside someone like Alan Stubbs could only be beneficial to him in my opinion, get another CB who he trusts beside him and I think you'll see his game come on leaps and bounds.

Very sensible post - especially the Stubbs bringing him on bit.

Well said

CB_NO3
02-07-2014, 05:02 PM
I notice Danny Swanson is signing for Coventry, so we dont need the annual Swanson to Hibs thread.

jacomo
02-07-2014, 05:14 PM
Think this is dead in the water, was told Paul had already agreed terms with them 2/3 weeks ago only to be told by stubbs he wasnt going anywhere the minute he came in, Which he was delighted about.

I'm sure he can't wait for another season of abuse and disappointment.

Hibs has not been a happy place for players recently - let's hope that changes.

J-C
02-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Surely a statement by the club condemning Butcher and what he did after the Hamilton game, he had no right to tell so many under contracted players they were free to leave if they found a club. He could've cost us thousands of pounds in tranfer monies.

Gala Foxes
02-07-2014, 08:18 PM
Stephen Pressley could teach Hanlon the art of going down spectacularly whilst looking at the referee for a free kick whenever he loses the ball, after all he made a career out of it

edwards
02-07-2014, 08:19 PM
Paul Hanlon is a good player [ not a great player ] !!! and a player who showed improvment with james Mcpake alongside him. would like him to stay but if coventry can offer 500k plus I think Leeann will be pushed by a certain non executive to accept the cash. :agree:

Gala Foxes
02-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Paul Hanlon is a good player [ not a great player ] !!! and a player who showed improvment with james Mcpake alongside him. would like him to stay but if coventry can offer 500k plus I think Leeann will be pushed by a certain non executive to accept the cash. :agree:

Cov City have'nt got a bolt so no chance of £300k / £500k

The_Exile
02-07-2014, 08:21 PM

Re: bit in bold, I reckon this is exactly what will happen, ideally mixing experience with youth all over the park. A good CB will be high up on the list of priorities I'd imagine.

RN Hibee
02-07-2014, 08:22 PM
Wouldn't like to see Hanlon go, not the most complete defender but a decent player that is certainly good enough for the level we are now at. All things considered even in the SPL it wouldn't be easy for us to attract a better CB than Hanlon.