PDA

View Full Version : Mission Impossible?

Islington Hibs
01-07-2014, 04:56 PM
What ever happens this season lets give Alan Stubbs a proper chance. He faces a very tough challenge.

He has come in to his first ever job as a manager to a club that can only be described in crisis.

He has to quickly establish a good working rerlationshp with the impressive, but brand new, CEO.

He currently has no assistant.

Having run Everton under 21's has little current knowledge of the Championship and the type of teams he will face.

He inherits around 14 first team players with no goalkeeper, no proven striker (apologies to our genuine, but as yet unproven prospects), little in the way of defence and probably no confidence.

He comes in to a club at war with it's chairman (rightly) with an understandably frustrated, diminished and angry support.

He needs to create a new team almost from scratch in four or five weeks that haven't played together and gel. A bad start, confidence will dip and recriminations will begin (unfairly)

He faces the strongest and most competitive Championship ever.

He is one brave man! It goes without saying I hope he succeeds but we really need to be patient. This is a very very tough gig.

AlbertK86
01-07-2014, 05:00 PM
Totally agree

Great post

Smartie
01-07-2014, 05:02 PM
I agree.

He faces a lot of short-term issues which could make life difficult for him at the start. But strangely I think that we're becoming far better set-up for a good long-term future, so in this instance I think that it will pay off to be patient.

He'll need to show something for us to get behind though, and as a set of fans we're not known for being patient and understanding.

Keith_M
01-07-2014, 05:10 PM
What ever happens this season lets give Alan Stubbs a proper chance. He faces a very tough challenge.

He is one brave man! It goes without saying I hope he succeeds but we really need to be patient. This is a very very tough gig.

Totally agree with that. I just hope everybody gets behind him and doesn't get on his back at the first bad result.

The last time we were in the 2nd tier, we had a home defeat from Stranraer in only our second match. However that season didn't turn out too badly.

Jones28
01-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Spot on. If anyone ever needed a chance it's AS. Time and patience are what we need to give unfortunately for us!

Spike Mandela
01-07-2014, 05:29 PM
Totally agree Alan needs time and it is a long slow rebuilding process for the club if it is to be done properly and patience is required. Don't forget though it is us poor mugs who are still paying £400 per season ticket whilst the club hopefully get it right this time.

frazeHFC
01-07-2014, 05:36 PM
Right now I don't think we will go up. Hopefully he gets us winning games, especially improving our hone record, and ideally playing with sone pace and purpose to our play. And we can push on from there.

Hibby
01-07-2014, 05:48 PM
[QUOTE=Islington Hibs;4082100]What ever happens this season lets give Alan Stubbs a proper chance. He faces a very tough challenge.

He has come in to his first ever job as a manager to a club that can only be described in crisis.

He has to quickly establish a good working rerlationshp with the impressive, but brand new, CEO.

Having run Everton under 21's has little current knowledge of the Championship and the type of teams he will face.

He inherits around 14 first team players with no goalkeeper, no proven striker (apologies to our genuine, but as yet unproven prospects), little in the way of defence and probably no confidence.

He comes in to a club at war with it's chairman (rightly) with an understandably frustrated, diminished and angry support.

He needs to create a new team almost from scratch in four or five weeks that haven't played together and gel. A bad start, confidence will dip and recriminations will begin (unfairly)

Really good post Bud. You, and some others on here, have hit the bull. we need a bit more time from the support. etc. At least something is going forward.

Tin Hat Here, I think RP had recognised problems, hence hiring LD. Prior to end season. No. ?

:flag:

Nutmegged
01-07-2014, 05:49 PM
Absolutely agree with this, realistically I believe it'll be two years before we're back in the Premiership, I'd love to sit here and honestly believe we can win the League and go up as champs first time of asking or even as Play-Off winners but realistically I think it'll more likely be the second year, what I'm looking for this Season is for Stubbs to implement a style of football that appeals and will encourage people to come back to Easter Road, the Play-Off's are of course also a must as well, but as long as we can hand on heart see a genuine improvement then I'll be happy to see patience a plenty afforded to Stubbsy

eastterrace
01-07-2014, 06:45 PM
Absolutely agree with this, realistically I believe it'll be two years before we're back in the Premiership, I'd love to sit here and honestly believe we can win the League and go up as champs first time of asking or even as Play-Off winners but realistically I think it'll more likely be the second year, what I'm looking for this Season is for Stubbs to implement a style of football that appeals and will encourage people to come back to Easter Road, the Play-Off's are of course also a must as well, but as long as we can hand on heart see a genuine improvement then I'll be happy to see patience a plenty afforded to Stubbsy

yes i think its a two year plan with some improvement the first season, then kick on second season. thats all i ask, hope he can deliver if not then it will be back to square one.

Lucius Apuleius
01-07-2014, 07:08 PM
[QUOTE=Islington Hibs;4082100]What ever happens this season lets give Alan Stubbs a proper chance. He faces a very tough challenge.

Really good post Bud. You, and some others on here, have hit the bull. we need a bit more time from the support. etc. At least something is going forward.

Tin Hat Here, I think RP had recognised problems, hence hiring LD. Prior to end season. No. ?

:flag:

I agree with the Petrie comment. She was headhunted long time before we were relegated. Petrie knows he has alienated us all and had to act. Still not convinced he will walk away completely though. Hope so but doubtful.

As regards to giving Stubbs time, we have said this about the last few managers and not carried it through. I agree but if we don't hit the ground running he is in for a hard time . Just hope LD does not wait to just before the AGM and sack him.

emerald green
01-07-2014, 07:18 PM
I agree.

He faces a lot of short-term issues which could make life difficult for him at the start. But strangely I think that we're becoming far better set-up for a good long-term future, so in this instance I think that it will pay off to be patient.

He'll need to show something for us to get behind though, and as a set of fans we're not known for being patient and understanding.

Sorry I don't agree with this bit. I don't know where this myth has come from. Hibs fans are no better, and no worse, than football fans all over the world.

I've been a neutral at matches where far better teams and players than recent Hibs teams were getting absolute pelters from their own fans. Given the garbage Hibs fans have had to suffer for some years now, I believe they have been extremely patient.

Of course I agree the supporters need to get behind Stubbs and give him time. He has got one hell of a mess to try to clear up. I believe it's so bad it will take two seasons to get back up. Hope I'm wrong. A lot will depend on the quality of the players the club is able/prepared to afford, but that's another story.

lord bunberry
01-07-2014, 08:43 PM
This is all just wishful thinking, managers don't get time. If he doesn't get us into the play offs he'll be sacked.

Devonhibs
01-07-2014, 08:47 PM
I've been a neutral at matches where far better teams and players than recent Hibs teams were getting absolute pelters from their own fans. Given the garbage Hibs fans have had to suffer for some years now, I believe they have been extremely patient.

I was lucky enough to catch a couple of league games at the Emirates last season and where I was sat, huge number of Arsenal fans moaning and griping at both Wenger and their players. FFS - The Arsenal! - I agree with the OP - all fans moan etc.

neil7908
01-07-2014, 09:46 PM
I agree...to an extent. I think its going to be a really tough season for us, I'm desperate for us to get up straight away but I accept Stubbs needs a chance to prove himself.

Time is something we dont really have the luxury of though. We need to spend as little time in this division as possible and Stubbs needs to show he's the guy to get us out of it fairly quickly. If were struggling in the league by Xmas he'll get shown the door. Thats the nature of football and we can say all we want about building for the future but a club of our size spending 1 season in this division is terrible - 2 would potentially be devastating and hugely damaging.

neil7908
01-07-2014, 09:53 PM
Sorry I don't agree with this bit. I don't know where this myth has come from. Hibs fans are no better, and no worse, than football fans all over the world.

Of course I agree the supporters need to get behind Stubbs and give him time. He has got one hell of a mess to try to clear up. I believe it's so bad it will take two seasons to get back up. Hope I'm wrong. A lot will depend on the quality of the players the club is able/prepared to afford, but that's another story.

Great post. Hibs fans must honestly be some of the most loyal in the country. We've stuck by the team in incredible numbers after some truly terrible results and football, not just over 1 season but several. I've been supporting Hibs for 20 years now (I know that peanuts compared to some folk on here) and in that time we've won the league cup once and been relegated twice. Yet we still have a really solid fanbase. Look how many fans Motherwell and St Johnstone are picking up despite their recent success.

For our club or our size in a league like Scotland we have every right to expect decent results and our fans have been very patient so far.

Nutmegged
01-07-2014, 09:53 PM

I was lucky enough to catch a couple of league games at the Emirates last season and where I was sat, huge number of Arsenal fans moaning and griping at both Wenger and their players. FFS - The Arsenal! - I agree with the OP - all fans moan etc.

Over a grand a year and they've seldom come close to winning anything for the best part of a decade, majorly underachieved considerinf their size and stature in the English game, its merited IMO