PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Gauld

ekhibee
01-07-2014, 11:33 AM
I'm beginning to doubt anything I read or hear regarding Scottish football. This young lad has been hailed as having his head screwed on, signed a long extension to his contract with Dundee Utd because he was happy there and didn't feel he was ready for a big money move at this stage of his career. Chick Dung and all the other Sportsound mob were singing the young lads praises for doing that. Now he's talking to Sporting Lisbon. Hmm...

truehibernian
01-07-2014, 11:37 AM
Shows what can happen when a young talent plays under an attack minded manager in a team that scores lots of goals. And amongst other talented, technically skilful players.

Can't blame the lad. Stunning move if it comes off.

Stewboy
01-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Don't see what the issue is - He probably is happy and feels that learning his trade at UTD is the best thing for him, however he probably didn't think somebody overseas would come in for him.

Probably now thinking that if he moves to a different league and learns that way in a different culture that maybe the best for himself.

lord bunberry
01-07-2014, 11:40 AM
If he is going to leave I would rather he went abroad, we could do with more Scottish players heading abroad rather than down south.

Onceinawhile
01-07-2014, 11:41 AM
I'm beginning to doubt anything I read or hear regarding Scottish football. This young lad has been hailed as having his head screwed on, signed a long extension to his contract with Dundee Utd because he was happy there and didn't feel he was ready for a big money move at this stage of his career. Chick Dung and all the other Sportsound mob were singing the young lads praises for doing that. Now he's talking to Sporting Lisbon. Hmm...

I thought from your first sentence you were going to talk about how theres no talent in the game, the standard is shocking and no one will pay a penny for any of the mince in the league.

But really? One player possibly moving to a big european club, is making you doubt EVERYTHING you hear about Scottish football?:rolleyes:

since90plustwo
01-07-2014, 11:42 AM
also in talks with ajax

Brooster
01-07-2014, 11:43 AM
I spoke to the Arsenal scout who watched him twice and he didnt rate him. That was after the Friday night 5-2 against Killie in the Scottish.

MrRobot
01-07-2014, 11:46 AM

Don't see the issue with that. The chance of signing for Sporting Lisbon is huge and he may not get it again.

The_Exile
01-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Sporting and Ajax? I'm sure when he said that and signed the contract he didn't think the likes of them would want to sign him. What a great signal of his ambition it would be if he signed for either of these two teams. Moves like this can only be good for Scottish fitba, and makes a refreshing change from the talent sitting on a bench and becoming bit part players in the weegie goldfish bowl.

easty
01-07-2014, 11:50 AM
I spoke to the Arsenal scout who watched him twice and he didnt rate him. That was after the Friday night 5-2 against Killie in the Scottish.

If he was the scout that recommended Arsenal sign Boateng, then his opinion holds no weight at all. :greengrin

Pretty Boy
01-07-2014, 11:54 AM
More Scottish (in fact all British) players should try their luck abroad and test themselves. Experiencing a different football culture and a different lifestyle can only be a good thing if their attitude is right.

Brooster
01-07-2014, 11:59 AM
If he was the scout that recommended Arsenal sign Boateng, then his opinion holds no weight at all. :greengrin

Haha I knew that was coming. I spoke to him prior to our Boetang experience. He was brutal, I'll never forget the sight if him going down on one knee to head the ball at Mcdermaid.

EdinMike
01-07-2014, 12:33 PM
If he gets to learn a different culture, different attitude and a different way of life (ie Nae George St antics or whatever the Dundee equivalent is..) Although Ajax...

Then fair play to the laddie, can only be a good thing

jacomo
01-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Sporting and Ajax? I'm sure when he said that and signed the contract he didn't think the likes of them would want to sign him. What a great signal of his ambition it would be if he signed for either of these two teams. Moves like this can only be good for Scottish fitba, and makes a refreshing change from the talent sitting on a bench and becoming bit part players in the weegie goldfish bowl.

Gauld can GTF if he thinks he can just swan off and learn some 'Continental' ways. What's wrong with putting in a decent effort this season, winning a lucrative transfer to one of the Old Firm, and then living off pies and beer for the next decade?

Outrageous.

col02
01-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Good luck to the lad. Both European clubs mentioned have a fine pedigree so it's testament to the young lads ability that he's linked with them.

GreenLake
01-07-2014, 01:32 PM
I hope he goes and starts an exodus of young Scottish talent to foreign lands where they are taught to live the lifestyle of a professional athlete while maximizing their skills. Better than being turned into pie, beans and chips eating baw booters in Glasgow or England, especially if we can suppress theatrics and swan diving. :greengrin

Seveno
01-07-2014, 01:33 PM
He was quoted as saying that he would not want to get a move down south but wanted to go to a continenttal club where they play a more technical football.

Sounds to me like a lad with his head screwed on.

portycabbage
01-07-2014, 01:41 PM
also in talks with ajax

They've clearly been scouring the continent for signings.

Sorry, that one may have been done before.

Wilson
01-07-2014, 01:46 PM
They've clearly been scouring the continent for signings.

Sorry, that one may have been done before.

As Cif.

Lucius Apuleius
01-07-2014, 01:46 PM
Not just footballers either. Nothing beats going to work in foreign countries to learn your trade.

The Green Goblin
01-07-2014, 02:50 PM
Good for him. Don't agree with the tone of the op at all.

DC_Hibs
01-07-2014, 03:04 PM
The Boy's mental. Enough about ek though, at least Ryan Gauld has his head screwed on.

The Leith Dutch
01-07-2014, 08:11 PM
More Scottish (in fact all British) players should try their luck abroad and test themselves. Experiencing a different football culture and a different lifestyle can only be a good thing if their attitude is right.

Very much this.

There was a lot of criticism of the Premier League and the lack of English talent in it when they were eliminated from the World Cup.

To me the problem wasn't not enough English players in the English leagues (substitute Scottish players in the Scottish leagues) but not enough diversity in their footballing gene pool due to not having many players making it abroad.

I think when you see teams like Uruguay and Costa Rica with their tiny populations doing well it's not because they have a lot of homegrown players in their own league. It's more to do with a lot of their players experiencing the leagues and styles of football in other countries and learning to broaden themselves both in terms of football and life in general.

Working in London just now and came across this in the Evening Standard:
http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/justin-cartwright-with-education-our-footballers-might-yet-prevail-9551531.html

As well as standing out by being placed next to a Glenn Hoddle column composed entirely of utter bullcrap it stood out because it's an honest assessment that sums up a lot of what's wrong with the British player.

Not saying they need to be Einstein but players need to realise that the days of getting to the top purely by natural ability are on the wane and that the modern player needs to also be both intelligent and hard working to get to the top.

Onceinawhile
01-07-2014, 08:18 PM
As Cif.

Fantastic post.

Stax
01-07-2014, 08:53 PM
Very much this.

There was a lot of criticism of the Premier League and the lack of English talent in it when they were eliminated from the World Cup.

To me the problem wasn't not enough English players in the English leagues (substitute Scottish players in the Scottish leagues) but not enough diversity in their footballing gene pool due to not having many players making it abroad.

I think when you see teams like Uruguay and Costa Rica with their tiny populations doing well it's not because they have a lot of homegrown players in their own league. It's more to do with a lot of their players experiencing the leagues and styles of football in other countries and learning to broaden themselves both in terms of football and life in general.

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/justin-cartwright-with-education-our-footballers-might-yet-prevail-9551531.html

As well as standing out by being placed next to a Glenn Hoddle column composed entirely of utter bullcrap it stood out because it's an honest assessment that sums up a lot of what's wrong with the British player.

Not saying they need to be Einstein but players need to realise that the days of getting to the top purely by natural ability are on the wane and that the modern player needs to also be both intelligent and hard working to get to the top.
Great post, agree with a lot of the article you linked. The disparity between state school and private when it comes to amount of time spent playing & facilities is criminal. Mind you I don't think many Uruguayans or Costa Ricans went to private schools. Scotland are still sheite at rugby / cricket which the cream of our schools focus on / have unbelievable facilities for.

ScottB
01-07-2014, 09:36 PM
Very much this.

Interesting article, a friend of mine summed up that one of Scottish footballs big problems is that most of the players are, for want of a better term, neds. Idiots that if they weren't blessed with some talented feet would instead be living on the dole. For me it's no coincidence that out of our 'golden generation' the one who seemed the most smart and sensible has gone the furthest, while the ones that seemed like numpties have already fallen out the game.

Down south seems to be similar, you just have to watch the various ex player pundits, with the English ones talking incomprehensible gibberish alongside eloquent, insightful foreigners speaking in for them what is a second, even third language.

Matty_Jack04
01-07-2014, 09:37 PM
Charles Patterson tweeting deal done just needs to pass medical £3m plus add ons great move for him and and good bit of business for DU hopefully the lad keeps progressing and we see him in a Scotland shirt soon

Hibernia Na Eir
01-07-2014, 09:44 PM
refreshing to hear this story.
Playing in this country, with his style, just doesn't go.
Good luck lad!

Stax
01-07-2014, 09:54 PM
refreshing to hear this story.
Playing in this country, with his style, just doesn't go.
Good luck lad!
:agree:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
01-07-2014, 10:41 PM
Charles Patterson tweeting deal done just needs to pass medical £3m plus add ons great move for him and and good bit of business for DU hopefully the lad keeps progressing and we see him in a Scotland shirt soon

What CP's Twitter bud?

ekhibee
02-07-2014, 01:19 AM
Good for him. Don't agree with the tone of the op at all.
No, good for you, that's what debate is all about, differing opinions about various topics. And for the record, I don't agree with your tone either, so at least we agree about something. This has turned into a suggestion that my post was a criticism of the player when in fact it was a criticism of how sport is reported in this country. By all means believe otherwise if you want.

The Leith Dutch
02-07-2014, 06:46 AM
Interesting article, a friend of mine summed up that one of Scottish footballs big problems is that most of the players are, for want of a better term, neds. Idiots that if they weren't blessed with some talented feet would instead be living on the dole. For me it's no coincidence that out of our 'golden generation' the one who seemed the most smart and sensible has gone the furthest, while the ones that seemed like numpties have already fallen out the game.

Down south seems to be similar, you just have to watch the various ex player pundits, with the English ones talking incomprehensible gibberish alongside eloquent, insightful foreigners speaking in for them what is a second, even third language.

One player that interests me on this is David Beckham.

Obviously not the sharpest tool in the box but he's shown an amazing capacity to adapt and to learn.

Part of this is travelling to other cultures but I also think part of it is down to the fact that his football abilities are much more the result of hard work rather than natural talent. He's still one of the best dead ball players I've seen - fantastic crosser of a ball and a great free kick - and he's obviously worked really hard on to get to that level.

Fast forward a few years and he's actually used that work ethic in how he presents himself - he's clearly got himself coached, developed his English and crucially slowed right down when he talks to give himself time to use those skills rather than the standard British footballer approach of trotting out cliches linked with "errrr".

If someone like Riordan had shown half that ambition and work ethic he'd very probably have been one of the finest Scottish players we'd seen.
Instead he's not long turned 30 and can't get a club.

And before it starts with the "he could do a job" chat - No. Just No :)

AlbertK86
02-07-2014, 07:44 AM
Great move for him

Incredible 60 mil euro buy out clause

That'll save him returning to any of the weegie ****bags !!!

Lucius Apuleius
02-07-2014, 08:33 AM
Great move and congrats to the laddie if true. Hope the sell on clause is never used!

CallumLaidlaw
02-07-2014, 08:49 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/02/epuvyba2.jpg
Done

davhibby
02-07-2014, 08:52 AM
Well done him. I remember him saying that he didn't want to go down south but he wanted to go to the continent, so it's nice that he's got his move

Hibbyradge
02-07-2014, 09:00 AM
Fantastic post.

:agree: It was brillo.

Iceman1875
02-07-2014, 09:18 AM
Great move all round, for RG, Dundee United, Sporting and Scotland.

At Easter Road we play...

GoldenMeerkat
02-07-2014, 09:52 AM
Great to see a young pup with ambition and the willingness to embrace a new culture.

Seveno
02-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Good luck, Ryan. I hope you can achieve something similar to Andy Murray, who knew that he had to move abroad at a young age to learn his craft.

lord bunberry
02-07-2014, 12:15 PM
I hope he's the first of many young Scottish players to head abroad

TRC
02-07-2014, 12:23 PM
Sure there was a thread on this before can't see it anywhere?

Jones28
02-07-2014, 02:35 PM
Good luck to the lad, lit up the league over the last couple of seasons.

€60 million buy out clause?!

TowerHibs
02-07-2014, 02:46 PM
Great to see a young pup with ambition and the willingness to embrace a new culture.

I dont get the "with ambition". Surely someone that goes to Premiership has ambition too???

It is definately warming that he has went abroad, to learn a different style of football to British style and experience a different lifestyle. That is something i would do and i wish more British players do but that has nothing to do with ambition. He, like Fyfie, Fletcher, Allan etc before him want to be the best they can be. No reason going to EPL would stop that.

GoldenMeerkat
02-07-2014, 03:45 PM
I dont get the "with ambition". Surely someone that goes to Premiership has ambition too???

It is definately warming that he has went abroad, to learn a different style of football to British style and experience a different lifestyle. That is something i would do and i wish more British players do but that has nothing to do with ambition. He, like Fyfie, Fletcher, Allan etc before him want to be the best they can be. No reason going to EPL would stop that.

I'd personally say that solely aiming just for the EPL (Which I consider to be an overly hyped league), or the Championship does lack a certain amount of ambition.

TowerHibs
02-07-2014, 03:55 PM
I'd personally say that solely aiming just for the EPL (Which I consider to be an overly hyped league), or the Championship does lack a certain amount of ambition.

I understand what your saying but aiming to play for massive clubs down there is no more ambitious than wanting to play for Sporting or Benfica.

Is a south american player lacking ambition for SOLELY wanting to play for Barca or Real????

The EPL is over-hyped but it is certainly the most competitive league in the world. Ok, may not be the technically best but harsh on anyone saying it lacks ambition wanting to go south. Chist, we knock Scott Brown for having no ambition because he signed for Celtic and praised Fletcher for showing ambition.

Like i say, on a personal level, i would go play abroad before England because i would like the lifestyle change and difference in style. But i would be no more ambitious than someone leaving Motherwell/Falkirk and signing for a EPL team

Mon Dieu4
02-07-2014, 04:20 PM

i agree with your point but going to England, its still the same language, culture and you could be back in Scotland within a few hours from anywhere there

shows much more ambition to go to a different country with a different language, attitude to life, style of play etc

hope the guy does as well as JC or Lambert

highland hibbee
02-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Gauld can GTF if he thinks he can just swan off and learn some 'Continental' ways. What's wrong with putting in a decent effort this season, winning a lucrative transfer to one of the Old Firm, and then living off pies and beer for the next decade?

Outrageous.

I remember Hibs youngsters on a pre season Highland tour at Nairn County sitting eating pies in the wee dugout and the benches beside it, must have been around 1999-2001, and the coach , think it would have been John or Donald Park just letting them, great impression to set.Not.

RN Hibee
02-07-2014, 08:00 PM
Good move for him and I'd be surprised if it didn't pay of for him, expect he will be given time and freedom to develop there unlike at a Prem club where he would be shut out by overrated and overpaid "superstars" will likely follow his progress keenly.

Dashing Bob S
02-07-2014, 08:09 PM
This kid is a smart cookie. Football in these islands is pretty much dead, kept going on a TV money life support machine (which is also, paradoxically, sucking the life from it) and young talent gets zero chance to develop. The continent is where any clever, talented young player should aspire to be. Gauld is great player, but he deserves to be a roaring success with that sort of attitude and vision, and I hope he is.

allezsauzee
02-07-2014, 09:03 PM
He could undoubtedly make more money quickly with a move to England, but he'll be coached the right way and learn a good lifestyle at Sporting Lisbon Long term with a bit of luck he'll become a much better player than he would staying in the UK and hopefully reap the rewards for it in terms of success on the park and financial security. Great for the national side too hopefully.

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2014, 10:01 PM
It's interesting that he has gone to Sporting.

Probably his biggest coaching influence would have been Ian Cathro, who had the Utd crop at youth level. Cathro left Scotland to work in Europe, despite being hailed by some as revolutionary here. Some would argue he challenged some of the orthodoxies of Scottish coaching styles and became unpopular as a result.

Anyhow Cathro moved to Portugal to work with Rio Ave, but I know I've heard his name mentioned in connection with Sporting , so he maybe has some sort of scouting relationship with them or the likes. Certainly hard to think it's a coincidence.

down-the-slope
03-07-2014, 07:17 AM
Its an eye watering deal but it shows along with other recent youngsters breaking through that the bust cash wise in Scottish Football has led to a return to developing young talent. As long as boys club / first club / developing club all get a slice of money then we will see much better players and more money available to do more of the same.

A club with a great tradition of investing in proved youngsters who have much more to develop its a great choice for him to develop, and must put his agent in the big time as well....particularly if that buy out clause is ever exercised.....hope united got a sell on clause in it as well...10% would be club changing on top of initial fee

The Baldmans Comb
03-07-2014, 10:27 AM

Young players only sign long term contracts for a very hefty signing on fee and in return this guarantees the club a massive transfer fee if the player turns out to be exceptional.

Dafties like Chick "Chico" Young sell it to the fans as loyalty and developing potential but in reality it is long term financial planning as everyone knows Gauld was for the exit door at the first decent offer.

In this case it is far more than decent and the player and club have played the system perfectly.

hihohibby
03-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Good luck to the young guy. He is what we once churned out a few years ago and can only dream of doing so again. £3 million in the bank is a nice wee earner for The Arabs.

JIm
03-07-2014, 06:36 PM
Good luck to the boy what an opportunity! Be good to see how he develops over next few years.

Have it on good authority he's on around 5k basic. Not bad for an 18 year old.

Wish him all the luck in the world. :thumbsup:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
03-07-2014, 06:37 PM
Mental how he was a 60million release clause!!!!

The Green Goblin
03-07-2014, 06:39 PM
No, good for you, that's what debate is all about, differing opinions about various topics. And for the record, I don't agree with your tone either, so at least we agree about something. This has turned into a suggestion that my post was a criticism of the player when in fact it was a criticism of how sport is reported in this country. By all means believe otherwise if you want.

Fair enough ek. I went back and had another read of your post and you are right, I picked it up wrong, so apologies for that.

emerald green
03-07-2014, 06:59 PM
How times have changed. I watched Hibs beat Sporting Lisbon 6-1 at ER in a European tie with a young Jimmy O'Rourke scoring a hat trick as Hibs ripped them a new one.

Has Scottish football got worse and the continentals got better? Or a bit of both?

Anyway, good luck to the lad. I hope it all works out well for him. He will need to have the correct attitude and mental toughness, as well as ability of course.

Scorrie
03-07-2014, 08:37 PM
Well done Dundee United. I like the way they bring through good youngsters or scout them from lower league Scottish clubs like Queens Park, decent youngsters as well who are keen to progress and not lower English league dross.

Jonnyboy
03-07-2014, 08:42 PM
How times have changed. I watched Hibs beat Sporting Lisbon 6-1 at ER in a European tie with a young Jimmy O'Rourke scoring a hat trick as Hibs ripped them a new one.

Has Scottish football got worse and the continentals got better? Or a bit of both?

Anyway, good luck to the lad. I hope it all works out well for him. He will need to have the correct attitude and mental toughness, as well as ability of course.

A distant but very happy memory eg :agree:

Edit: Just remebered, Hibs wore an all green top that night! It was emerald though :greengrin

Alex Trager
03-07-2014, 10:33 PM
Mental how he was a 60million release clause!!!!

Just read that too. Waw. That's 20 mil less than saurez. My god. Will be brilliant if he develops like their players of old. EXACTLY what Scottish football needs. Players with brains and balls willing to move abroad to taste football at a different level/from another perspective. Allowing for a solid understanding of different styles. If we qualify for world cups in years to come etc. That kind of knowledge from a few Scottish players is KEY.

The EPL has a gulf in quality when compared to Spain and Germany. I'd say learning other countries ways, like Portugal and Italy, is only beneficial.

Congrats to the lad, hope we get more Scottish players out there doing it.

emerald green
04-07-2014, 08:42 AM

Edit: Just remebered, Hibs wore an all green top that night! It was emerald though :greengrin

:agree: Correct on both points Jonnyboy!

Strange coincidence Hibs were wearing an all green top that night. Can't remember why that was. Maybe to avoid a clash with Sporting Lisbon? Maybe you can remind me. :aok:

bigwheel
04-07-2014, 08:44 AM

One of my early but favourite memories ...can still smell the liniment in the air from that night :-). What ever happened to liniment :-).

That green strip was excellent !