PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs' first signing

Diclonius
01-07-2014, 10:36 AM
Looking back on our recent managers' first signings, I wouldn't be too hopeful at Stubbs' first purchase making an impact. :wink:

Mowbray: Simon Brown
Collins: Thomas Sowunmi
Mixu: John Rankin
Yogi: Patrick Cregg
Calderwood: Matt Thornhill
Fenlon: Eoin Doyle
Butcher: Haynes/Watmore/Boateng

spike220
01-07-2014, 10:40 AM
Looking back on our recent managers' first signings, I wouldn't be too hopeful at Stubbs' first purchase making an impact. :wink:

Best of the bunch.

Fifer
01-07-2014, 10:40 AM

Why such negativity?

BVB Hibs
01-07-2014, 10:47 AM
So because the last 7, unrelated, managers have made poor first signings the latest, completely unrelated, manager will also make a bad first signing? .net logic never ceases to amaze.

Scottie
01-07-2014, 10:48 AM

Nothing wrong with the players you have stated.

Its just that all the manager that signed them were crap :cb

MyJo
01-07-2014, 10:51 AM

Rankin and Doyle were not poor signings. Rankin never got a chance with the fans at ER and has gone on to prove himself a very decent player in a strong dundee united team. Doyle paled in comparison to Leigh but he would be more than good enough for us now.

Lewis77
01-07-2014, 11:35 AM
I just wonder if he's really had time to evaluate the club and all the players? Be interesting to see what his big first moves will be, if any.

Smartie
01-07-2014, 11:42 AM
An interesting list.

I've long suspected that Petrie has had too big a role in our player recruitment process but of that list only John Rankin would strike me as a Petrie signing (it has been widely rumoured that he was desperate to foist Rankin onto JC).

All the others were undoubtedly known by the manager in question, and the fact that none have been a roaring success (Doyle I liked so don't want to group him in with the others here) says more about the managers than anything else. Or, I suppose, the budgetary conditions they were operating under.

Smartie
01-07-2014, 11:44 AM
I just wonder if he's really had time to evaluate the club and all the players? Be interesting to see what his big first moves will be, if any.

I'm amazed that we have continued to shift players in spite of him not having had the chance to do this yet.

What if he thought there was a player in McGivern that he could get the best out of? (No laughing up the back).

AlbertK86
01-07-2014, 11:54 AM
I'm amazed that we have continued to shift players in spite of him not having had the chance to do this yet. What if he thought there was a player in McGivern that he could get the best out of? (No laughing up the back).

Article in today's evening news in which Stubbs says he let him go as Ryan had told LD prior to his arrival he had interest from clubs in England. Stubbs says he only wants those interested in staying and helping the club get back up. Those not committed can go. Seems Stubbs quite rightly takes this as a lack of commitment

Sounds like good thinking to me

Smartie
01-07-2014, 12:00 PM
Article in today's evening news in which Stubbs says he let him go as Ryan had told LD prior to his arrival he had interest from clubs in England. Stubbs says he only wants those interested in staying and helping the club get back up. Those not committed can go. Seems Stubbs quite rightly takes this as a lack of commitment

I didn't see that.

Fair enough, sounds spot on to me. A refreshing change.

brydekirk
01-07-2014, 12:03 PM

Stubbs: Samuel Clucas (maybe)

we are hibs
01-07-2014, 12:05 PM
John Rankin was like Lewis Stevenson. lots of workrate but an average player with no skill about him at all but put a decent shift in every game.

GraniteCityHibs
01-07-2014, 12:07 PM

Was it Collins who signed his brother too?

AlbertK86
01-07-2014, 12:50 PM
I didn't see that. Fair enough, sounds spot on to me. A refreshing change.

Indeed a refreshing attitude

Seems like him and Leeann are on the same wavelength

Here's the link to the article

http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/alan-stubbs-debut-as-boss-bigger-than-as-a-player-1-3461975

GreenLake
01-07-2014, 01:36 PM
I'm amazed that we have continued to shift players in spite of him not having had the chance to do this yet.

What if he thought there was a player in McGivern that he could get the best out of? (No laughing up the back).

Sorry, I couldn't stop myself. :faf:

Lewis77
01-07-2014, 01:38 PM

Good, that's a good sign

Number69
01-07-2014, 09:43 PM
Simon Brown was alright until he thought his goals were a foot smaller than they actually are! Anyone remember that clanger and who it was that scored it?

Diclonius
01-07-2014, 09:56 PM
Was it Collins who signed his brother too?

They're the same person mate.

The_Horde
01-07-2014, 09:58 PM
They're the same person mate.

Collins and Showumni are the same person?

Wheat Hound
01-07-2014, 10:06 PM
Simon Brown was alright until he thought his goals were a foot smaller than they actually are! Anyone remember that clanger and who it was that scored it?

Lee Miller scored at Swinie as Brown ushered it safely into the net. Thankfully Deano and GOC intervened thereafter.

Posh Swanny
02-07-2014, 08:35 AM

Typical Hibs that he was so pish for us but went on to have a perfectly mediocre career at the likes of Falkirk and Tranmere.

Phil MaGlass
02-07-2014, 09:08 AM
Nothing wrong with the players you have stated.

Its just that all the manager that signed them were crap :cb

hahahahaha:thumbsup:

cleanyman
02-07-2014, 09:14 AM
Typical Hibs that he was so pish for us but went on to have a perfectly mediocre career at the likes of Falkirk and Tranmere.

That's the wrong guy.

Sure that dude was called Enoch.