PDA

View Full Version : Announcement Hibs player competing as a sprinter this week.

NorthNorfolkHFC
30-06-2014, 06:50 PM
If possible could this thread be kept on the MB to generate maximum interest/support.

Many of you will be aware of the professional running circuit in Scotland and may recall famous Scottish sprinters such as George McNeill. The circuit is still strong with events taking place throughout the summer months. One such event is taking place on Friday evening at Meggetland commencing at 6:30pm.

The reason I am posting on here is there is a one off race in honour of Sandy Jardine who as you all will know was a fantastic footballer but he also enjoyed competing in the pro running circuit as a sprinter. With the support of Sandy's wife a 300m dash will take place in honour of Sandy and the race will contain one player running from Hibs, Hearts, Rangers, Newtongrange Star and some top rugby clubs in their respective colours.

It would be great for anyone keen to come along and support the player that is chosen to represent Hibs and to witness a pretty intriguing race between two different sports. For those not aware of the pro running, it's like a night at the greyhounds but just with humans!!

For more information, here is link to the event
http://www.cerf.org.uk

"That was classic intercourse!"

Jonnyboy
30-06-2014, 07:07 PM
If possible could this thread be kept on the MB to generate maximum interest/support.

Many of you will be aware of the professional running circuit in Scotland and may recall famous Scottish sprinters such as George McNeill. The circuit is still strong with events taking place throughout the summer months. One such event is taking place on Friday evening at Meggetland commencing at 6:30pm.

The reason I am posting on here is there is a one off race in honour of Sandy Jardine who as you all will know was a fantastic footballer but he also enjoyed competing in the pro running circuit as a sprinter. With the support of Sandy's wife a 300m dash will take place in honour of Sandy and the race will contain one player running from Hibs, Hearts, Rangers, Newtongrange Star and some top rugby clubs in their respective colours.

It would be great for anyone keen to come along and support the player that is chosen to represent Hibs and to witness a pretty intriguing race between two different sports. For those not aware of the pro running, it's like a night at the greyhounds but just with humans!!

For more information, here is link to the event
http://www.cerf.org.uk

Was on the books at ER as a player in his younger years

Hope the event is well supported :aok:

Golden Bear
30-06-2014, 07:17 PM
Now he was quick! I recall he beat two of the USA's Olympic sprint champions in a special invitation meeting at Meadowbank.

George was the fastest guy in Britain in the days when there was a big distinction between amateur and professional athletes.

cabbageandribs1875
30-06-2014, 07:17 PM
will alex harris be the hibs player :greengrin

NorthNorfolkHFC
30-06-2014, 07:25 PM
Unsure who the player will be but James McDonaugh was in charge of sending a player.

It should be a laugh, in my opinion more players should do it to keep their fitness.

I have had Steven McLean of St Johnstone in my heat twice this season, good lad and obviously a good, down to earth pro.

"Kommen sie bitte und listen to Kraftwerk!"

CropleyWasGod
30-06-2014, 07:27 PM
Unsure who the player will be but James McDonaugh was in charge of sending a player.

It should be a laugh, in my opinion more players should do it to keep their fitness.

I have had Steven McLean of St Johnstone in my heat twice this season, good lad and obviously a good, down to earth pro.

It used to be quite common for players to do the Games in the summer. Jardine, as you say. Willie Johnston was another. My old brain will think of others in time.

CropleyWasGod
30-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Now he was quick! I recall he beat two of the USA's Olympic sprint champions in a special invitation meeting at Meadowbank.

George was the fastest guy in Britain in the days when there was a big distinction between amateur and professional athletes.

The World :wink:

He held the WR for the 120 yards.

inglisavhibs
30-06-2014, 08:24 PM
It used to be quite common for players to do the Games in the summer. Jardine, as you say. Willie Johnston was another. My old brain will think of others in time.
I think Willie is presenting the prize on Friday. Kenny Thomson of Dunfermline was the fastest of them all ( apart from McNeil), he was a trained sprinter and very quick. Many other footballers have taken part in the pro running and maybe some of our players would benefit from it.

NorthNorfolkHFC
30-06-2014, 08:28 PM
I think Willie is presenting the prize on Friday. Kenny Thomson of Dunfermline was the fastest of them all ( apart from McNeil), he was a trained sprinter and very quick. Many other footballers have taken part in the pro running and maybe some of our players would benefit from it.

It will be interesting to see who they send.

I'm assuming it won't be Michael Nelson or Liam Craig, they'd be lucky to make it round the 300m.

cmcd
30-06-2014, 08:53 PM
The World :wink:

He held the WR for the 120 yards.
Arthur Duncan was Quick I`m sure he ran in the New Year sprint ?

Jonnyboy
30-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Arthur Duncan was Quick I`m sure he ran in the New Year sprint ?

He did and was beaten by said Kenny Thomson of Dunfermline :agree:

jdships
30-06-2014, 09:05 PM

You are quite right !
In my playing days , early 1950's , clubs encouraged players to take part in " Highland Games " etc in the summer months to maintain a decent level of fitness .
I ran a few times in 400 yards races but won nothing :rolleyes:
Also many of us competed under assumed names which was to protect our amateur status

Good luck to Mrs J !!!!

inglisavhibs
30-06-2014, 09:24 PM
You are quite right !
In my playing days , early 1950's , clubs encouraged players to take part in " Highland Games " etc in the summer months to maintain a decent level of fitness .
Also many of us competed under assumed names which was to protect our amateur status

Good luck to Mrs J !!!!

That wasn't yesterday! I see from the website that the main sprint has a £3k first prize on Friday night. Spartans and Bonnyrigg Rose also have entries in the Sandy Jardine Memorial race.

NorthNorfolkHFC
30-06-2014, 09:26 PM
You are quite right !

Good luck to Mrs J !!!!

Haha. Great stuff.

I played rugby and only became involved through my family, I love competing and see it as a way to remain competitive when the season ends.

It's a shame no current professionals feel the same!

Golden Bear
30-06-2014, 09:34 PM

Duncan Lambie ( ex Hibs and st johnstone) was another I think.

Ozyhibby
30-06-2014, 11:27 PM
I got asked to go and train for the pro sprinting circuit. I never tire of telling people that.
The more beer I drink the faster I get.
:-)

jdships
01-07-2014, 08:59 AM
Haha. Great stuff.

I played rugby and only became involved through my family, I love competing and see it as a way to remain competitive when the season ends.

It's a shame no current professionals feel the same!

Thank you
One of my g'son's ,30, is a decent standard rugby player and he competes in local games around Lothians and Fife during the summer to keep fit
Loves it for the friendships and banter !!:greengrin

inglisavhibs
01-07-2014, 03:01 PM
Thank you
One of my g'son's ,30, is a decent standard rugby player and he competes in local games around Lothians and Fife during the summer to keep fit
Loves it for the friendships and banter !!:greengrin
Youth player Ben Stirling is competing for Hibs. Good luck Ben

H13BYM
01-07-2014, 03:11 PM
I see the chairman of the group is one GRAEME ARMSTRONG. wasn't there a Graeme Armstrong used to play for Meadowbank whistle? and is it the same guy?? :confused:

NorthNorfolkHFC
01-07-2014, 03:16 PM
I suspect it is.

http://www.cerf.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/CERF-Newsletter-March-2014.pdf

brog
01-07-2014, 06:43 PM
I see the chairman of the group is one GRAEME ARMSTRONG. wasn't there a Graeme Armstrong used to play for Meadowbank whistle? and is it the same guy?? :confused:

Louis is a legend & a big Hibby!

FranckSuzy
01-07-2014, 07:02 PM

:whistle: Sorry :tee hee:

inglisavhibs
02-07-2014, 10:50 AM
:whistle: Sorry :tee hee:
Alistair Roy competing for Hearts. Cum'on the Hibs.

NorthNorfolkHFC
03-07-2014, 06:24 PM
Kyle McAusland competing for the huns, wonder if the rugby boys will beat the football lads.

NorthNorfolkHFC
04-07-2014, 11:18 PM
The hearts lad won the sprint. Hibs were second....rugby lads nowhere to be seen! Unfortunately the hearts lad was rapid!!