PDA

View Full Version : Who else should we get rid of?

Diclonius
30-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Now Chuckle Brother #1 is gone, who else should leave as part of the rebuild? Here's my picks:

Definitely:
Nelson
Jones
Handling
Heffernan
Caldwell

Maybe:
Craig
Stevenson

J-C
30-06-2014, 05:21 PM
For me Nelson should've been 1st out the door, a carthorse with limited skill and take OTJ with him, another carthorse who can't jump, both need emptied.

Sunny1875
30-06-2014, 05:29 PM
We have the makings of a good fives team then, but who will play in goals ?

Sir David Gray
30-06-2014, 05:31 PM
Now Chuckle Brother #1 is gone, who else should leave as part of the rebuild? Here's my picks:

Definitely:
Nelson
Jones
Handling
Heffernan
Caldwell

Maybe:
Craig
Stevenson

I would definitely keep Heffernan for the coming season, unless we can find a couple of strikers that are obviously a step up in class.

I would be surprised if we manage to do that in the Championship to be honest.

Michael
30-06-2014, 05:34 PM
Craig should go. Stevenson should stay without question!

matty_f
30-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Am I the only one who's a bit uncomfortable with the level of scapegoating aimed at guys who are still Hibs players?
I actually thought Nelson was a good signing up until Butcher got a hold of him - same could be said for a number of players.

silverhibee
30-06-2014, 05:44 PM

Tell me why.

smurf
Players like Nelson and Craig who played their part in our downfall need to go. That's not scapegoating that's them correctly paying the price for failure on a massive scale.

Viva_Palmeiras

My_Wife_Camille
30-06-2014, 05:46 PM
Craig and Nelson next.

silverhibee
Am I the only one who's a bit uncomfortable with the level of scapegoating aimed at guys who are still Hibs players?
I actually thought Nelson was a good signing up until Butcher got a hold of him - same could be said for a number of players.

Nah, they were just as pish under Fenlon as well.

KiddA

Definitely:
Nelson
Jones
Handling
Heffernan
Caldwell

Maybe:
Craig
Stevenson

All of them except maybe Heffernan I think if fit he could score a lot of goals the rest are not good enough.

AL-Qaholik
30-06-2014, 05:47 PM
Petrie.

hihohibby
30-06-2014, 05:50 PM

Stevenson is an honest trier with very limited ability and no quality. He is not a game changer or a match winner. He tries hard, which is the very least any determined professional should. He has been a stand out on occasion simply because of the abysmal lack of quality and fight he has been surrounded with. He has, however, played his part in the failings of the Hibs sides of the past 7 years, and he must be included in a clear out. His graft has been admirable, but when players of his limited ability are nominated for player of the year, then it really brings home the deterioration in standards at Easter Road. I associate Stevenson with failure and a depressing period in our clubs history. If we are to move on, we must get rid of even honest triers.

Spike Mandela
30-06-2014, 05:51 PM
Got to be honest and admit that apart from the young laddies Stanton,Harris,Forster and Cummings I wouldn't really shed any tears if any of the others left. Hanlon and Stevenson have merits but I still think we could do a lot better.

Hibby Kay-Yay
30-06-2014, 05:52 PM
The 'fans' that boo the first little mistake any Hibs player makes.

#2 Double Tap
30-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Tell me why.

he don't like mondays

edwards
30-06-2014, 05:59 PM

Definitely:

Nelson / Has to go if he stays I will be shocked

Jones / Another player who has spent most of his time on the bench think he could go

Handling / I would keep and give him until the end of the season

Heffernan / I would keep him until the end of the season he will score goals in the league we are in

Caldwell / Again one I would keep give him until the end of the season lets see what Stubbs can get out of him.

Maybe:

Craig Keep him until the end of the season.

Stevenson / Frustrates, frustrates frustrates well liked on here, remind me again how many goals has he scored as a midfielder in the past nine years :rolleyes:

My opinion only folks :wink:

AlbertK86
30-06-2014, 06:01 PM
Whoever Stubbs decides we don't need

Fat Penlon
30-06-2014, 06:08 PM
Stevenson is an honest trier with very limited ability and no quality. He is not a game changer or a match winner. He tries hard, which is the very least any determined professional should. He has been a stand out on occasion simply because of the abysmal lack of quality and fight he has been surrounded with. He has, however, played his part in the failings of the Hibs sides of the past 7 years, and he must be included in a clear out. His graft has been admirable, but when players of his limited ability are nominated for player of the year, then it really brings home the deterioration in standards at Easter Road. I associate Stevenson with failure and a depressing period in our clubs history. If we are to move on, we must get rid of even honest triers.

This 100% sums it up for me.

Nevi_SOL
30-06-2014, 06:09 PM

This

ekhibee
30-06-2014, 06:10 PM
Got to be honest and admit that apart from the young laddies Stanton,Harris,Forster and Cummings I wouldn't really shed any tears if any of the others left. Hanlon and Stevenson have merits but I still think we could do a lot better.
Yep, that's how I feel too.

Jonnyboy
30-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Stevenson / Frustrates, frustrates frustrates well liked on here, remind me again how many goals has he scored as a midfielder in the past nine years

My opinion only folks :wink:

About half as many as the demi God Kevin Thomson

Paloschi
30-06-2014, 06:40 PM
Petrie.

How he is still at Hibs is beyond believe.

Oh but no wait im attacking the club, damaging what precious little is left.

Paloschi
30-06-2014, 06:45 PM

There is a negative atmosphere for a reason though. People have had enough.

Fans are the least of the issue. Apart from that time we cheered the team off the park whilst getting pumped in another final.

Greenblood70
30-06-2014, 06:47 PM
I don't want to have to watch Nelson in a Hibs jersey ever again quite honestly, he is an abysmal footballer. For that reason I want him gone, I don't hold him personally responsible for our relegation however. That 'honour' lies with that ****er Butcher along with Petrie IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scottie
30-06-2014, 06:48 PM
Whoever Stubbs decides we don't need

:agree:

I'd go one step further if I was Stubbs and bin the lot of them though. Fresh start needed as the players we've had over the last few seasons have had more than enough chances

matty_f
30-06-2014, 06:59 PM
Players like Nelson and Craig who played their part in our downfall need to go. That's not scapegoating that's them correctly paying the price for failure on a massive scale.

I think we can accept that players would need to be moved on and we will all have an opinion on who those players are, but the repeated threads and posts singling players out is OTT and tantamount to a witch -hunt IMHO.

We need to consider that there is a real possibility that because these players are under contract, we will be seeing them playing in Hibs shirts this coming season, and having them starting the season with a section of the support actively hounding them is not going to help them perform any better.

Kaiserclem
30-06-2014, 07:00 PM
Craig, Harris (too weak, gutless & poor passer/ crosser). Would keep OWT as will do a job for us I reckon if played regularly.

Billychaotic182
30-06-2014, 07:08 PM

This

cmcd
30-06-2014, 07:17 PM
I think we can accept that players would need to be moved on and we will all have an opinion on who those players are, but the repeated threads and posts singling players out is OTT and tantamount to a witch -hunt IMHO.

We need to consider that there is a real possibility that because these players are under contract, we will be seeing them playing in Hibs shirts this coming season, and having them starting the season with a section of the support actively hounding them is not going to help them perform any better.
Good post It is going to be very interesting reading posts on this site at the end of the season ref players that are kept on

Billy Whizz
30-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Good post It is going to be very interesting reading posts on this site at the end of the season ref players that are kept on

I agree, I think we're now at the stage where we shouldn't be releasing any players, until their replacement comes in

Phil MaGlass
30-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Another pi55 poor thread on hibsnet, when some of us are tryin to bepositive and look forward, another NEGATIVE thread pops up, aye we know there are mibbe players that shouldnae be at Hibs but FFS lets be abit more POSITIVE, f, nHibs fans eh?

Eyrie
30-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Anyone who starts yet another negative thread?

Just a thought .... :cb

cmcd
30-06-2014, 07:28 PM
another pi55 poor thread on hibsnet, when some of us are tryin to bepositive and look forward, another negative thread pops up, aye we know there are mibbe players that shouldnae be at hibs but ffs lets be abit more positive, f, nhibs fans eh?
agree 100%

Michael
30-06-2014, 07:33 PM
You don't need 11 'game changers' in your team. You need perhaps 3 star players of this type to do well. Along with them you need guys like Stevenson. He's limited, but he has more talent in his pinky than the likes of Nelson. He's a solid, consistent performer and is not the reason for our decline. That is why he should stay.

Brooster
30-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Nelson, Jones and Stevenson. All mediocre at best.

Hibercelona
30-06-2014, 07:49 PM
You don't need 11 'game changers' in your team. You need perhaps 3 star players of this type to do well. Along with them you need guys like Stevenson. He's limited, but he has more talent in his pinky than the likes of Nelson. He's a solid, consistent performer and is not the reason for our decline. That is why he should stay.

First sensible post on this thread and it only took until #36.

Stevenson is a good solid player who will do well with quality around him. His role isn't to "shine", it's to do the donkey work required so that the players who are capable of shining get the opportunity to do so.

smurf
30-06-2014, 07:56 PM

I don't disagree. The time will come soon when Alan Stubbs will have his team on the park and as a support we will need to unite and support our club out of this awful division we find ourselves in.

Last season's dreadful start and subsequent capitulation will rightly never be forgiven. From the board, manager and non youth it's best for all that they go. And go now.

eastterrace
30-06-2014, 08:10 PM

this stevenson love does my head in, he is mince and thats the reason we are were we are is because of the caliber of player like mr stevenson.

Stantons Angel
30-06-2014, 08:19 PM

For gawds sake here we go again!!!

Not even kicked a ball in earnest and your off already!

For goodness sake why dont you surprise us with some positive talk instead of last seasons left over negativity.

He has another year on his contract, let him play it out and give to the jersey his 100% commitment and endeavor. Its more that you will get from some that are left.

We have to get behind Hibs players this season, last year was disgraceful in that you couldn't wait to blame someone for the crap we had to put up with!

If you think Lewis has played his part in Hibs downfall then so has the Hibs support. Expectations are always too high because of our past teams of football players. Last season's lambasting of our own players whether justified or not, was disgraceful. No matter what rubbish we had to put up with!

Turning on our own players has to stop, we need a solid base for the new manager to build on. the support plays a big part in that and needs to support the team on the park.

Lets get behind those in the jersey and lay off the players we know are tried and tested

Give us a break from all the petty name calling and lets get the season started???

tamig
30-06-2014, 08:27 PM

I seem to recall him chasing down a lost cause in the new year derby. I'd class him a match winner on that occasion at least. If we had a team full of guys with the attitude of Lewis we wouldn't be playing Championship football next season.

HIBERNIAN-0762
30-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Hanlon

eastterrace
30-06-2014, 08:29 PM
I seem to recall him chasing down a lost cause in the new year derby. I'd class him a match winner on that occasion at least. If we had a team full of guys with the attitude of Lewis we wouldn't be playing Championship football next season.
yes we be in the division below.

tamig
30-06-2014, 08:31 PM
yes we be in the division below.

Aye very good.

SouthamptonHibs
30-06-2014, 08:46 PM
I'm starting to worry that the players we are releasing are better than the players we have been linked with.
Last years team was gash and they all deserve to be punted but only if we are going to bring better players in.
So far we've been strongly linked with a Grimsby player and a Mansfield town player = deary me, is that how bad we've got

eastterrace
30-06-2014, 08:48 PM
I'm starting to worry that the players we are releasing are better than the players we have been linked with.
Last years team was gash and they all deserve to be punted but only if we are going to bring better players in.
So far we've been strongly linked with a Grimsby player and a Mansfield town player = deary me, is that how bad we've got

yes the season tickets will roll of the shelf with these type of signings, but its all hearsay at the moment so will need to just wait and see.

CropleyWasGod
30-06-2014, 08:48 PM

Rob Jones? :wink:

edwards
30-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Stevenson / Frustrates, frustrates frustrates well liked on here, remind me again how many goals has he scored as a midfielder in the past nine years

About half as many as the demi God Kevin Thomson

Eh that will be 2 then in 9 years preeety good return :rolleyes: Thompson got the same in 5 years well six if you include last season, again everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If he really is that special teams would be knockin on Leeann's door to sign him.

Jonnyboy
30-06-2014, 08:55 PM
Eh that will be 2 then in 9 years preeety good return :rolleyes: Thompson got the same in 5 years well six if you include last season, again everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If he really is that special teams would be knockin on Leeann's door to sign him.

Nobody is saying he's special though are they? They recognise a good honest pro who will always give every last ounce of strength which is more than can be said for most of the posers who got us relegated.

I find it almost amusing that folk still go on about the Matty Jack role and revere the man and yet in Lewis we have exactly the same type of player but still some castigate him.

He can pass the ball, he can cross the ball, he can tackle well but if you listen to some he can't do any of these things.

Folk accuse me of being blinkered because I always speak up for Lewis. I'm not blinkered, I just appreciate what he offers in the jersey. If anyone is blinkered it's those fans who castigate him and don't have the good grace to recognise his qualities

The_Horde
30-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Who should we get rid of?

Petrie.

Followed by this thread.

edwards
30-06-2014, 09:05 PM
Nobody is saying he's special though are they? They recognise a good honest pro who will always give every last ounce of strength which is more than can be said for most of the posers who got us relegated.

I find it almost amusing that folk still go on about the Matty Jack role and revere the man and yet in Lewis we have exactly the same type of player but still some castigate him.

He can pass the ball, he can cross the ball, he can tackle well but if you listen to some he can't do any of these things.

Folk accuse me of being blinkered because I always speak up for Lewis. I'm not blinkered, I just appreciate what he offers in the jersey. If anyone is blinkered it's those fans who castigate him and don't have the good grace to recognise his qualities

You think Lewis Stevenson is the same kind of player as Matthias Jack Reeeeaaaly He can pass the ball [he can sometimes] he can cross the ball [ he can sometimes] and he can tackle I will give you that one he can and that is probably his strong point. The first two he can't do very well live with it Jonny.
You like Lewis personaly I don't think he is fit to lace Matthias Jacks boots . :wink:

Pretty Boy
30-06-2014, 09:13 PM
I'd keep:

Harris
Cummings
Heffernan
Stevenson
Stanton
Forster
Hanlon

Even that's being a bit generous to a couple imo. Wouldn't care one jot if any other left.

Scouse Hibee
30-06-2014, 09:14 PM

It doesn't matter where they come from only that they can make an impact when they get here. I really don't understand this constant negativity to a new regime.

Scottie
30-06-2014, 09:15 PM
It doesn't matter where they come from only that they can make an impact when they get here. I really don't understand this constant negativity to a new regime.
:agree:

Jonnyboy
30-06-2014, 09:53 PM
You think Lewis Stevenson is the same kind of player as Matthias Jack Reeeeaaaly He can pass the ball [he can sometimes] he can cross the ball [ he can sometimes] and he can tackle I will give you that one he can and that is probably his strong point. The first two he can't do very well live with it Jonny.
You like Lewis personaly I don't think he is fit to lace Matthias Jacks boots . :wink:

I do and you'll not be surprised to hear that I disagree with your views on him. You just keep chipping away though, you're obviously enjoying slagging off one of our players

Jonnyboy
30-06-2014, 09:53 PM

Indeed. Billy McKay, freed by Northampton

Paisley Hibby
30-06-2014, 10:03 PM

Definitely:
Nelson
Jones
Handling
Heffernan
Caldwell

Maybe:
Craig
Stevenson

Hope you claim a refund from any positive thinking courses you've been on recently :rolleyes:

Stantons Angel
30-06-2014, 10:13 PM

I like lewis "personally" as well so what ?

What makes you pick him out yet again when he hasnt even kicked a ball yet? Have you nothing else to do but wind up people on here because you know he will get this sort of support?

Comparing him to Jack is no slur on Mattys name and he himself would tell you that Lewis is the kind of player every team needs.

Away and pick on someone else if you feel you cant get over your negativity. It makes me so sad that people like you cant look forward, not forgetting the past, but using it as a guide on what not to let happen again. Go forward with some positivity and support the team. If you used the energy you have to attack Lewis then im sure you will be able to support your team.

As for lacing Jacks boots, thats just pathetic. Give it a rest please!

SouthamptonHibs
30-06-2014, 10:20 PM
Rob Jones? :wink:

Good shout but Grimsby were a league club when we got Jones from them, they are currently in conference.
Not a good standard of football

silverhibee
30-06-2014, 10:21 PM
This

That

SouthamptonHibs
30-06-2014, 10:23 PM

I watched Mansfield live last year v Pompey and every single player was terrible. The standard in league two is very poor. If that's the type of players we are signing then I expect a long stay in championship.
The rangers have Boyd and Miller up front they will run riot if we turn up with these types of players IMO

Criswell
30-06-2014, 10:29 PM

Definitely:
Nelson
Jones
Handling
Heffernan
Caldwell

Maybe:
Craig
Stevenson

Surely we should not be emptying any of these wonderful players. These were the players who were taking the league by storm last season, destroying the opposition with their brilliant skills and teamwork; all until the evil Butcher took over and ruined everything by forcing them into playing his "Hoofball" style anti-football. A golden opportunity wasted!

WestCoastHibby
30-06-2014, 10:41 PM
Look what Poyet did with a team that was going down. He turned it round with basically the same team. Anyone still in the squad should be given a chance to provide the manager with some sliver of potential.
Only get rid if they don't want to prove themselves.

GreenOnions
01-07-2014, 07:42 AM
Hanlon

:crazy:

ballengeich
01-07-2014, 07:48 AM
Surely we should not be emptying any of these wonderful players. These were the players who were taking the league by storm last season, destroying the opposition with their brilliant skills and teamwork; all until the evil Butcher took over and ruined everything by forcing them into playing his "Hoofball" style anti-football. A golden opportunity wasted!

Not wonderful players, but they were good enough to be mid-table in the Premier when Butcher came in. They should all be given a chance by the new manager. What standard of player do people think a championship team can attract or afford?

lord bunberry
01-07-2014, 08:07 AM
Not wonderful players, but they were good enough to be mid-table in the Premier when Butcher came in. They should all be given a chance by the new manager. What standard of player do people think a championship team can attract or afford?

I've read this line that "we're a championship club now, we can't attract decent players" so many times. The fact is if we offer more money for a player than Kilmarnock or Dundee, the chances are he will come to us. Boyd and Miller have signed up for a year in the championship because the rangers are paying them more than any premiership clubs, most players will do the same.

calumhibee1
01-07-2014, 08:10 AM
I'd still like to see:

Handling
Caldwell
Craig
Nelson
Jones

Go for definite. Wouldn't be fussed either way about Heffernan. The other 5 or so players I'd like to keep.

ballengeich
01-07-2014, 08:21 AM
I've read this line that "we're a championship club now, we can't attract decent players" so many times. The fact is if we offer more money for a player than Kilmarnock or Dundee, the chances are he will come to us. Boyd and Miller have signed up for a year in the championship because the rangers are paying them more than any premiership clubs, most players will do the same.

I didn't say we can't attract decent players and I agree that most will go to the team paying most. I was pointing out that the players last season weren't looking like relegation candidates before Butcher arrived. They were mid-table premier standard at that point, so will be good in the championship if better management takes them nearer to their potential. They're not as irredeemably bad as some posters are claiming.

cmcd
01-07-2014, 09:05 AM
I am so glad that posters on forums do Not pick the Hibs team If they did i am sure we would end up in the East of Scotland first division Lets all calm down and let the new manager get on with it Just for the record in my humble opinion LS should stay at Easter Rd and prove his knockers wrong

jdships
01-07-2014, 09:10 AM
I am so glad that posters on forums do Not pick the Hibs team If they did i am sure we would end up in the East of Scotland first division Lets all calm down and let the new manager get on with it Just for the record in my humble opinion LS should stay at Easter Rd and prove his knockers wrong

:top marks

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-07-2014, 09:22 AM
:crazy:

Perfectly sane thanks.

You and a shed load of others on here seem perfectly happy to watch his powder puff displays and not one iota of hardness in his play.

Oh well, here's to another season in the championship!

Phil MaGlass
01-07-2014, 09:38 AM

I dont think he has anything to prove, he has proved it over and over, some folk on here just want to keep knocking and chipping away at our own players, its the Hibs way, seemingly.:agree:

Joe's ice cream
01-07-2014, 10:05 AM
The Nelson and McGivern debate continues I see, It interested me that as the season progressed these players effectively changed their default games, McGivern who when he first arrived looked like a player who was comfortable in position morphed into a player who couldn’t get rid of the ball quick enough- his confidence was shot and he did not have the ability or desire ( not sure which) to alter the way things were going- he did however have a manager in Butcher who continued to play him.
Nelson was brought in as cover imo, due to a series of events he ended up playing virtually the entire season for us - initially he was the type of player who launching it into the stand at the first sign of danger was his stock game, and as a 'no nonsense- defender was the type which we could accommodate - unfortunately as the season progressed he started to take it upon himself to look to move away from this approach and take the ball and look for passes and create opportunities - this I don’t think was ever his normal game and def wasn’t what was seen or expected from him when the club brought him in.
Again this all happened under Butchers management who imo did little to address either situation- I appreciate that options at the back became limited due to other circumstances, Hanlon's absence started to become more and more evident.
The ability across the team in all positions should be questioned, it seems that for some the problems only lay with two players.
If Stubbs see's that Nelson can do a certain job for the team and uses him accordingly then I for one will be happy to offer my support however much it seems to go against the grain for some.