PDA

View Full Version : Cairney signs for killie

MyJo
30-06-2014, 04:04 PM
According to forth 1

California-Hibs
30-06-2014, 04:06 PM
Should be interesting to see how he gets on there. When he first arrived I thought he was a very decent player

3pm
30-06-2014, 04:06 PM
Should have been better, thought we had hit the jackpot a couple of years ago.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
30-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Liked Cairney. Good luck to him.

Hermit Crab
30-06-2014, 04:12 PM
And then there was 12.

AlbertK86
30-06-2014, 04:15 PM
And then there was 12.

Was he not already gone as one of the out of contracts

Golden Bear
30-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Always thought he had potential but fitness seemed to be a big issue with him.

It's actually a great move for him - as things stand it's a career progression!

J-C
30-06-2014, 04:21 PM
Always thought he had potential but fitness seemed to be a big issue with him.

It's actually a great move for him - as things stand it's a career progression!

Nice lad but another bevvy merchant who blew out his erse after 30 mins every game.

bigwheel
30-06-2014, 04:27 PM
Cairney would have to do a "stephen dobbie" like change to diet and lifestyle to progress his career - can't see it happening.

easty
30-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Average player.

we are hibs
30-06-2014, 04:41 PM
Good wee skillful player who gave his all every game. All the best to him.

Gerard
30-06-2014, 04:48 PM
If Nelson goes there will be 11:wink::greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
30-06-2014, 04:48 PM
And then there was 12.

Still 14 left as it stands....

Peevemor
30-06-2014, 04:49 PM
He won us loads of corners and free kicks around the box during Butcher's initial good run, as well as chipping in with a few assists. I think he could have done a job for us in the coming season.

PeterboroHibee
30-06-2014, 04:52 PM
Was he not already gone as one of the out of contracts

He was, and we still have 14 players.

Good luck to him though. I always liked Cairney, maybe not the best player but I enjoyed watching him play.

Onceinawhile
30-06-2014, 04:55 PM
Not consistent enough in terms of fitness or performance, but of all the players who have left he was easily my favourite. Think he was the only hibs player to take on and beat a man last season.

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-06-2014, 05:09 PM
Good player on his day, but you can tell that he isn't what you would call a naturally fit boy. TBH, if any player has fitness or application issues, then Hibs isn't the best club for them to be it.

J-C
30-06-2014, 05:16 PM
If Nelson goes there will be 11:wink::greengrin

Cairney was one of the out of contract players :confused:, still 14 there.

Diclonius
30-06-2014, 05:20 PM
Good player when he was fit, which was 1% of the time.

flash
30-06-2014, 05:33 PM
Interesting comparison between this thread and McGiverns. Cairney was a far bigger waste of space yet he leaves with a lot of good wishes.

I still remember his performance in the first half against Falkirk at Hampden even if others don't.

Jonnyboy
30-06-2014, 06:38 PM
Interesting comparison between this thread and McGiverns. Cairney was a far bigger waste of space yet he leaves with a lot of good wishes.

I still remember his performance in the first half against Falkirk at Hampden even if others don't.

I do. Culpable in all three goals conceded.

Anyone else see the irony of Cairney, Thomson and McPake getting gigs in the Premiership?

Greenblood70
30-06-2014, 06:42 PM
Be nice to read about players coming in for a change, get the finger oot Hibs!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scottie
30-06-2014, 06:43 PM

:agree: Total waste of a Jersey IMO

FFS if we can't do better than Cairney then we're bang in trouble.

weonlywon6-2
30-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Liked Cairney. Good luck to him.

Always liked him and he always tried from what i saw,and there was that cross field ball to spoony for that goal

Good luck paul

we are hibs
30-06-2014, 06:47 PM

Absoloute nonsense, Cairney contributed more to the team in his time at ER than McGivern, cairney also tried every game unlike McGivern.

zlatan
30-06-2014, 06:59 PM
Absoloute nonsense, Cairney contributed more to the team in his time at ER than McGivern, cairney also tried every game unlike McGivern.

I liked Cairney but you can't seriously try and contradict flashs point above with that Falkirk game in mind. One of the worst performances from an individual for us in recent years.

we are hibs
30-06-2014, 07:02 PM
I liked Cairney but you can't seriously try and contradict flashs point above with that Falkirk game in mind. One of the worst performances from an individual for us in recent years.

1 game. 1 game doesn't make you a bad player or doesn't mean he wasn't trying. There were also 10 other players who played horrifically that half. That's like saying that Claros didn't try because he was honking first half of the cup final vs hearts, Cairney has great ability and great effort but his fitness is his only main stumbling block from being a very good player.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

emerald green
30-06-2014, 07:06 PM
I wonder if Cairney will turn out to be another one of those ex-Hibs players who goes to another club and does a good job for that new club?

He wasn't the worst player at ER in recent seasons, but I just got the impression he struggled with his fitness.

Scouse Hibee
30-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Once some players are tagged by fans there is just no shifting it, Cairney escaped the constant howls of derision when others didn't, a face fits scenario or so it seems sometimes.

TheFamous1875
30-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Once some players are tagged by fans there is just no shifting it, Cairney escaped the constant howls of derision when others didn't, a face fits scenario or so it seems sometimes.

I think Cairney was given leeway as he played the 'Hibs way'. He was exciting and was an all-out attacker who liked the ball at his feet. However, unlike Wotherspoon, he wasn't given the injustice of a decent run in the team to frustrate and entice the supporters' wrath.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Scouse Hibee
30-06-2014, 08:04 PM
I think Cairney was given leeway as he played the 'Hibs way'. He was exciting and was an all-out attacker who liked the ball at his feet. However, unlike Wotherspoon, he wasn't given the injustice of a decent run in the team to frustrate and entice the supporters' wrath.

Not having a go mate, but can we really claim to have a "Hibs way" anymore?

J-C
30-06-2014, 08:11 PM

Maybe not now but you can see where he's coming from, Cairney although unfit most of the time, did try to play the ball on the deck and had a wee bit of trickery to his game.

Mark79
30-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Belter of a signing for them

flash
30-06-2014, 08:18 PM
FFS he was subbed at half time at least three times.
Always put a shift in my erse- not literally of course.

SouthamptonHibs
30-06-2014, 08:36 PM
Part of the team that got us relegated. Won't be missed

TheFamous1875
30-06-2014, 08:41 PM

No, we can't. That's why I put 'Hibs way' in quotations. The 'Hibs Way' we speak of is now as mythical as the 150k for Sparky claim. Myths are based on facts, and in the past we have adhered to a 'way'. It was synonymous with Hibs in the 50s and 70s, and smatterings of Paul Cairney's contributions in the green and white shirt harped back to that idea of entertainment, and that's why he's seen in a positive light with most Hibs fans.

The fans identify with exciting players as the foundation of our football team and our fan base is based on 'exciting' players. From Sparky, Riordan, Latapy, and Sauzee to Stanton, Cropley, Edwards and the Famous Five.

My point wasn't advocating Paul Cairney's time at Hibernian, which was mostly a disappointment, nor an advocation of the much contested 'Hibs way'. I was just saying that I think that he was given an easier time of it from the fans because most remember him for his impressive performances at the start of his Hibs career and still saw flickers of that early promise all the way throughout his tenure.

He wasn't as disappointing as David Wotherspoon was as he never got as many chances as Spoony to disappoint. Most of Paul's time here he was either injured, unfit or not getting picked.

Hibs fans at least old enough to have seen Mowbray and Collins' teams have been brought up with this notion of the 'Hibs way' and Paul Cairney's best moments were in keeping with this fleeting 'tradition'.

The 'Hibs way' as an idea does exist, but in practice we have fallen so far from anything resembling attacking, entertaining football that the current zeitgeist deems it an almost risible proposition to suggest it ever existed at all. Hopefully now with a clean slate we can aspire as a club to even impersonate such a grandiose opinion of ourselves.

easty
30-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Cairney liked to play with the ball on the ground and try to beat a man, I'll no argue with folk saying that, but......he lost the ball most of the time, it seemed like he went for nutmegs more than 50% of the time too. He didn't look like a difficult player for SPL fullbacks to deal with due to him being very obvious, and very slow.

Much like McPake and Thomson, he'll be as good next season in the SPL as they were when they played for us. Average. A decent performance thrown in every now and then, but I'll no miss them.

Scouse Hibee
30-06-2014, 09:05 PM
No, we can't. That's why I put 'Hibs way' in quotations. The 'Hibs Way' we speak of is now as mythical as the 150k for Sparky claim. Myths are based on facts, and in the past we have adhered to a 'way'. It was synonymous with Hibs in the 50s and 70s, and smatterings of Paul Cairney's contributions in the green and white shirt harped back to that idea of entertainment, and that's why he's seen in a positive light with most Hibs fans.

The fans identify with exciting players as the foundation of our football team and our fan base is based on 'exciting' players. From Sparky, Riordan, Latapy, and Sauzee to Stanton, Cropley, Edwards and the Famous Five.

My point wasn't advocating Paul Cairney's time at Hibernian, which was mostly a disappointment, nor an advocation of the much contested 'Hibs way'. I was just saying that I think that he was given an easier time of it from the fans because most remember him for his impressive performances at the start of his Hibs career and still saw flickers of that early promise all the way throughout his tenure.

He wasn't as disappointing as David Wotherspoon was as he never got as many chances as Spoony to disappoint. Most of Paul's time here he was either injured, unfit or not getting picked.

Hibs fans at least old enough to have seen Mowbray and Collins' teams have been brought up with this notion of the 'Hibs way' and Paul Cairney's best moments were in keeping with this fleeting 'tradition'.

The 'Hibs way' as an idea does exist, but in practice we have fallen so far from anything resembling attacking, entertaining football that the current zeitgeist deems it an almost risible proposition to suggest it ever existed at all. Hopefully now with a clean slate we can aspire as a club to even impersonate such a grandiose opinion of ourselves.

:aok:

Capt Mainwaring
01-07-2014, 02:25 AM

Agree Flash - a player we all hoped could give us good attacking wing player but in reality a fat arsed waste of space . Needed to be part of the clear out.

H18Y GW
01-07-2014, 05:57 AM
Now the conundrum

A Lewis Stevenson with limited ability,fit ,willing and always available but not Hibs class OR
A Paul Cairney,alleged ability,never fit,carrying a stone or two and allegedlly Hibs class.

Neither tbh but Stevenson every time.

Dont let the door bruise your Beyonce sized arse on the way out,probably been the highest paid Hibs player on
Minutes to Wages ratio in the last year or two.

Another wage thief goes:thumbsup:

AlbertK86
01-07-2014, 07:14 AM
He created just about all the goals in Butchers first few weeks.... Albeit it a lot of them were from his accurate crossing from corners

He is a very skilful player and good on the ball but didn't have the fitness or pace needed

Better than a lot who played under TB and if he or a decent coach can motivate him to shed a stone or two he will be an asset to Killie

Boyle89
01-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Now the conundrum

A Lewis Stevenson with limited ability,fit ,willing and always available but not Hibs class OR
A Paul Cairney,alleged ability,never fit,carrying a stone or two and allegedlly Hibs class.

Neither tbh but Stevenson every time.

Dont let the door bruise your Beyonce sized arse on the way out,probably been the highest paid Hibs player on
Minutes to Wages ratio in the last year or two.

Another wage thief goes:thumbsup:
Clancy or mcpake claims that title of wages to minutes.

ekhibee
01-07-2014, 10:48 AM
I wonder if Cairney will turn out to be another one of those ex-Hibs players who goes to another club and does a good job for that new club?

He wasn't the worst player at ER in recent seasons, but I just got the impression he struggled with his fitness.
Yeh, my thoughts too. I do remember him scoring a great goal against Celtic though.

WeeRussell
01-07-2014, 12:13 PM
I think a few on here may be forgetting or unaware that Paul Cairney suffers from Crohn's disease. Hardly surprising that he wasn't always available or fully fit.

Liked him during the games he did play under Fenlon and wish him well. :agree:

Appears if you're not called Stanton, Thomson or Williams and played any minutes for us last season; then you've always been pish and are no longer welcome at Easter Road.

J-C
01-07-2014, 12:16 PM
I think a few on here may be forgetting or unaware that Paul Cairney suffers from Crohn's disease. Hardly surprising that he wasn't always available or fully fit.

Appears if you're not called Stanton, Thomson or Williams and played any minutes for us last season; then you've always been pish and are no longer welcome at Easter Road.

Was that ever verified, I remember it was discussed on here but don't think it was ever mentioned by the player/club or even the media.

Jonnyboy
01-07-2014, 09:59 PM

Was that not a Hibs.net fact?

oldbutdim
02-07-2014, 08:31 AM
Was that ever verified, I remember it was discussed on here but don't think it was ever mentioned by the player/club or even the media.

According to Paul he doesn't.

He's not actually 'fat' either, in fact he's quite slimly built but looks like a lardarse when he's in football kit. His missus suggested he should try different sized shorts. :greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
02-07-2014, 08:51 AM

Last statement is a pile of bollox. Any, and I mean any, of the players that played for us last season and are still here for the start of next season have one helluva lot of faith to restore. Said it before and will say again no matter how unlikely my wish is, but I really would be happy if every single person associated with Hibs last season were not there for the start of the coming one, and that includes Tam McCourt by the way.

jacomo
02-07-2014, 10:33 PM
I'm a bit sad he's gone. He had a couple of brief spells of form at Hibs, and looked decent. Could even create a little bit - fancy that eh?

If he was fit he could have done well for us this season IMO.

greenlex
03-07-2014, 02:28 AM
Part of the problem. Now somebody else's problem.

Waxy
03-07-2014, 05:45 AM
Scored a good goal at Parkhead. Good luck.