PDA

View Full Version : NHC Gordon Strachan Speech

AngusHibby
29-06-2014, 09:03 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=519584661520404&set=vb.338233632988842&type=2&theater (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=519584661520404&set=vb.338233632988842&type=2&theater) Man makes a point, makes me think back on some of the players who played for the club after discrepancies who were backed to the hilt. Is it right to do so?

hfc rd
29-06-2014, 09:22 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=519584661520404&set=vb.338233632988842&type=2&theater (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=519584661520404&set=vb.338233632988842&type=2&theater) Man makes a point, makes me think back on some of the players who played for the club after discrepancies who were backed to the hilt. Is it right to do so?

110% agree with WGS. Their is no morals in football. Typical Adrian Chiles sitting their smirking and taking it as a pinch of salt and cutting him off. Cannot stand him one bit! F*** off back to The One Show.

Nevi_SOL
29-06-2014, 09:24 PM
WGS is 100% right IMO. should always stick up for your team mates, players etc. good seeing him rip AC aswell

Bronson
29-06-2014, 09:27 PM
If we had a striker who was a total ****bag, a skid mark on society who did terrible things but scored the winner in a Scottish Cup Final I'd love him. I personally would rather see a winning team of ****bags than a losing team of angels. Obviously you want the best of both worlds but if I was offered one or the other? No brainer. All that matters to me is they do the business on the park.

My favourite hibs players ever includes the likes of Derek 'racist' Riordan. Garry 'coke-head' O'Connor, Leigh '20 wains, racist shoplifter' Griffiths. When it comes down to it, you don't really care, do you?

SouthamptonHibs
29-06-2014, 09:36 PM
If we had a striker who was a total ****bag, a skid mark on society who did terrible things but scored the winner in a Scottish Cup Final I'd love him. I personally would rather see a winning team of ****bags than a losing team of angels. Obviously you want the best of both worlds but if I was offered one or the other? No brainer. All that matters to me is they do the business on the park.

My favourite hibs players ever includes the likes of Derek 'racist' Riordan. Garry 'coke-head' O'Connor, Leigh '20 wains, racist shoplifter' Griffiths. When it comes down to it, you don't really care, do you?

Great post 10/10.
Clean living James Collins or bad boys Riorden Oconnor and Griffiths? Give me the bad boys any day of the week

AngusHibby
29-06-2014, 09:40 PM

Ye I was caught between thinking some of the things leigh has done are a bit disgraceful (Particularly a certain twitter incident) but at the same time he's given me some of my happiest memories as a Hibs fan.

snooky
29-06-2014, 09:56 PM

Exactly what WGS was saying. Applies to all levels of society. Fame and fortune can buy impunity.
That said, a lot of rich & famous people behave impeccably however, the ones that don't have a bungee cord for a leash when it comes to the law & morals.

4 Front Teeth
29-06-2014, 10:02 PM
I think a lot of people completely miss the fundamental point here..... and one of the fundamental reasons that people love their club or national side. It is because they are like extended family. Not taking the piss here. It is because fans start to have similar emotions towards the teams than they would a family member.

If your son (or another member of your family) took drugs, beat someone up, got caught stealing. .. etc.. This can get more extreme.... It would probably take a lot to stop you defending them and doing everything that you could to help. It's a natural thing. Almost inhumane not to help and forgive.

But if these things happen to you or cause you a problem. It's a different story.

Just saying.

Cameron1875
29-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Must admit if it was Griffiths and he played for Hibs and Scotland then I'd maybe have the same reaction as some Liverpool fans.

If the press and worldwide media were slaughtering him I'd almost feel like sticking 2 fingers up at them and standing by the Hibs player all the way.

That is probably wrong but football is bonkers!

Baader
29-06-2014, 10:37 PM
Strachan makes a valid point about the amorality of football. But who here would accept the likes of Rix and Thomson if they were Hibbys with the managerial skills of SAF and the footballing ability of Messi? Is being a Yam the bigger crime?!!

Green Cabbage 7
29-06-2014, 10:50 PM
What gets me is that AC, saying he would contest both on what strachan said, what a bloon, of course wee strach is right, we as fans would forgive and clubs would stand by there player if he was important enough!

ScottB
29-06-2014, 11:07 PM
To a point it's ok, but the deluded nonsense coming from Uruguay about the Suarez incident is embarrassing.

Some things cross the line and can't be defended, not without turning your club or national team into a joke.

Expecting Rain
30-06-2014, 10:33 AM
Gordon Strachan telling it like it is but that does not excuse the behaviour of Suarez, the guy is probably earning about £200,000 a week and has a responsibility to the people who pay his wages and follow his every move.

Smartie
30-06-2014, 10:41 AM
Strachan makes a valid point about the amorality of football. But who here would accept the likes of Rix and Thomson if they were Hibbys with the managerial skills of SAF and the footballing ability of Messi? Is being a Yam the bigger crime?!!

This is a very good point.

The reality is that a line has to be drawn somewhere and where that line is will depend on the quality of the player. The club will decide where that line is and how much nonsense they are prepared to tolerate from a player based on the return they get on the pitch.

We argue about whether or not Latapy should have been left out of the Scottish Cup final but ultimately he seriously disrespected the club and someone had a tough decision to make. Compared to Collins and McGivern who people would have hung, drawn and quartered for various unconfirmed sightings up George Street.

Ultimately though, I'd like to think we have a zero tolerance policy relating to kiddy-fiddling and it's not every football club that can say that.

NAE NOOKIE
30-06-2014, 10:55 AM
Ach Suarez has obviously developed a liking for human flesh and only wants a taste.

There are loads of FIFA members out there who wont do anything unless they get a taste ..... kind of ironic that.

Geo_1875
30-06-2014, 11:58 AM
Clubs will always support any errant player who has a sell-on value to them. Most supporters will always side with one of their clubs/countries players through blind loyalty. However, Uruguayan reaction to Suarez's ban, claiming agendas where none exist, is bollox. They should just keep quiet and hope he can be saved from himself.

Lewis77
30-06-2014, 01:07 PM

I think wee Gordon is confusing the moral compass/hypocrisy of certain Football clubs (which are finance and success driven) and football fans (who are partisan) with the Governing bodies of Football that do have a set of laws and morality that are adhered to, ergo Mr. Saurez and his ban.

J-C
30-06-2014, 01:14 PM

There's a huge difference between ****ging someone when you're married, being a dick when drunk, etc and being a convicted pedophile, there is a line you draw. I don't think we can put Rix and Thomson into the same bracket as what Strachan was talking about.

CropleyWasGod
30-06-2014, 01:18 PM
There's a huge difference between ****ging someone when you're married, being a dick when drunk, etc and being a convicted pedophile, there is a line you draw. I don't think we can put Rix and Thomson into the same bracket as what Strachan was talking about.

To be fair, he did also mention wife-batterers.

J-C
30-06-2014, 05:27 PM
To be fair, he did also mention wife-batterers.

Yes he did, I forgot he said that, even though, a pedo is still the worse thing out of all of them.

Kaiser1962
30-06-2014, 06:07 PM

I would be uncomfortable with that.

Opinions eh? :greengrin

clerriehibs
30-06-2014, 07:35 PM

One wasn't a racist, three didn't have 20 weans nor was he a shoplifter, two (I believe) has admitted to the accusation you make.

When you intermingle fact with fiction, you lose your case and your credibility.

AngusHibby
30-06-2014, 07:45 PM
I was actually under the impression that Gordon was having a go at this side of football, some reckon he was backing this mentality... am I being stupid or?

Bronson
30-06-2014, 07:48 PM
One wasn't a racist, three didn't have 20 weans nor was he a shoplifter, two (I believe) has admitted to the accusation you make.

When you intermingle fact with fiction, you lose your case and your credibility.

You're missing the point completely although my original post was actually closer to the truth than yours bar the obvious exaggeration of Leigh's '20 bairns.' Both Griffiths and Riordan were caught on video singing a racist chant and Griffiths was charged with shoplifting. They still gave me some of my happiest memories as hibs fan and that's what matters to me.

My point was that I would take a squad of these guys, who carry the baggage and are hated for doing sh*tty things, but win games of football than a team of total angels who win nothing. Like I pointed out, a happy medium is obviously the preferable choice but one extreme or the other is a no brainer for me.

Each to their own I guess.

Blocks Biloxi
30-06-2014, 08:52 PM
I think wee Gordon is confusing the moral compass/hypocrisy of certain Football clubs (which are finance and success driven) and football fans (who are partisan) with the Governing bodies of Football that do have a set of laws and morality that are adhered to, ergo Mr. Saurez and his ban.

Have to say I completely disagree with this - illustrated by UEFA and FIFA's pitiful attempts to punish racism

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/jun/18/uefa-2012-bendtner-fine-racism

FIFA is one of the most corrupt, amoral instituations in the world... unfortunately.

Peevemor
30-06-2014, 09:17 PM
I was actually under the impression that Gordon was having a go at this side of football, some reckon he was backing this mentality... am I being stupid or?

I'm not sure if he was for or against - he was just being realistic. I got the impression that it's hypocrisy that bothers him more than anything else.

3pm
30-06-2014, 09:33 PM
I'm not sure if he was for or against - he was just being realistic. I got the impression that it's hypocrisy that bothers him more than anything else.

I'd agree.