PDA

View Full Version : Make up of the Squad

The Leith Dutch
29-06-2014, 10:56 AM
Reading through the notes from the meeting with Leeann Dempster (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?285283-Notes-from-meeting-with-Leeann-Dempster) I've been thinking a wee bit on the fact there's now a proper plan for the squad rather than just a grab bag of players - a very good thing in my opinion not least because we seem to have had an awful lot of midfield players who were basically the same player.

As I understand it we're looking at a squad of 38 with a first team player for every position with an under 20 player and youth player as backup.

Using the classic fag packet maths I'm thinking something like this as distribution -

For keepers, left backs and right backs: 3 of each (1 senior, 1 under 20, 1 youth)
For Centre backs: 6 (2 senior, 2 under 20, 2 youth)
For wide players: 3 each on left and right (1 senior, 1 under 20, 1 youth)
For Centre midfielders (holding and traditional): 6 (2 senior, 2 under 20, 2 youth)
For Attacking midfielders: 3 (1 senior, 1 under 20, 1 youth)
For Strikers: 6 (2 senior, 2 under 20, 2 youth)
Total: 36 players.

That leaves another 2 players who I'd hope would be extra seniors to be placed in key positions - probably a versatile defender and an attacker.

It's also possible that we'll eek out more by having a few versatile players - Forster for example may be counted as both Centre Back and Right Back.

Thoughts?

Ronniekirk
29-06-2014, 11:44 AM
Reading through the notes from the meeting with Leeann Dempster (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?285283-Notes-from-meeting-with-Leeann-Dempster) I've been thinking a wee bit on the fact there's now a proper plan for the squad rather than just a grab bag of players - a very good thing in my opinion not least because we seem to have had an awful lot of midfield players who were basically the same player.

As I understand it we're looking at a squad of 38 with a first team player for every position with an under 20 player and youth player as backup.

Using the classic fag packet maths I'm thinking something like this as distribution -

For keepers, left backs and right backs: 3 of each (1 senior, 1 under 20, 1 youth)
For Centre backs: 6 (2 senior, 2 under 20, 2 youth)
For wide players: 3 each on left and right (1 senior, 1 under 20, 1 youth)
For Centre midfielders (holding and traditional): 6 (2 senior, 2 under 20, 2 youth)
For Attacking midfielders: 3 (1 senior, 1 under 20, 1 youth)
For Strikers: 6 (2 senior, 2 under 20, 2 youth)
Total: 36 players.

That leaves another 2 players who I'd hope would be extra seniors to be placed in key positions - probably a versatile defender and an attacker.

It's also possible that we'll eek out more by having a few versatile players - Forster for example may be counted as both Centre Back and Right Back.

Thoughts?
You are right in as Mutch Leeann was very specific about the numbers you quote and a player for each position as you describe but Stubbs has to have some Lee way if he is to get us back up at first time of asking and with the size of the rebuilding job he won't get all his signings right at first time of asking hence Leeann looking at where else she can cut budgets at club to divert to first team budget This is where season tickets sales are important as more we sell more money goes to first team .But until we see calibre of players being brought in some May still be reluctant to committ to buying one at this stage .So next few weeks crucial in build up to new season in lots of ways that will contribute to what may eventually happen once action gets underway

Eyrie
29-06-2014, 02:58 PM
My main concern here is the reliance on youth (ie anyone under 20) to cover for injuries, suspensions or loss of form amongst the senior players. There is a risk of a youth being given a run of games that their performance has not merited which would mean a weakened team.

On that basis I agree that we need versatility in the squad (eg Forster, Stevenson) but also that we should have 17 senior players - one for each position plus a keeper, two defenders, two midfielders and a striker. Adding the best half dozen youths would give a senior squad of 23 players and a total of 39 when all the youths are included.

lord bunberry
29-06-2014, 03:38 PM
My main concern here is the reliance on youth (ie anyone under 20) to cover for injuries, suspensions or loss of form amongst the senior players. There is a risk of a youth being given a run of games that their performance has not merited which would mean a weakened team.

On that basis I agree that we need versatility in the squad (eg Forster, Stevenson) but also that we should have 17 senior players - one for each position plus a keeper, two defenders, two midfielders and a striker. Adding the best half dozen youths would give a senior squad of 23 players and a total of 39 when all the youths are included.
I don't mind taking a chance that we have to go with young players due to injuries, as long as we push the boat out with the senior players. Paying good money for decent players gives us a good chance in the league, a few injuries means we will probably have a poor season, I'm prepared to accept that if the good seasons are just that.

The_Horde
29-06-2014, 03:47 PM
I would rather we tried youngsters than signed players like Rowan Vine who think they've nothing to prove and stroll around the pitch like they own the joint.

BVB Hibs
29-06-2014, 03:58 PM
I'd assume we're going to be counting Harris, Cummings, Forster and Stanton as U20 players, which would give us a little bit more leeway in terms of what players we bring in, and having cover. At a hunch I'd say we're going to have a first team squad of 14, with any injuries being covered then by U20's. That'd leave us with about a panel of 18-20 of what we'd consider first team members, when adding the above players and Handling/Caldwell into the equation.

A panel of 18 should be plenty to see you through baring a large number of injuries. U20's should, in theory, only grace the bench unless they're ready to play. If we sign a fit squad I doubt we'll be seeing any players designated as U20's in the starting eleven this season.

The Leith Dutch
29-06-2014, 04:56 PM
I don't mind taking a chance that we have to go with young players due to injuries, as long as we push the boat out with the senior players.

Couldn't agree more - a smaller squad with senior pros of real quality I can live with.

hibby67
29-06-2014, 05:10 PM
Max factor