PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to win it now?

hibsbollah
26-06-2014, 10:00 PM
So many likeable teams left, so who?

skipster7
26-06-2014, 10:12 PM
Argentina with Messi top scorer at 16/1 :thumbsup:

ScottB
26-06-2014, 10:12 PM
Still reckon it'll be a Brazil Argentina final but from a final four of them plus Germany and Holland.

hibsbollah
26-06-2014, 10:14 PM
Brazil. It's a marathon not a sprint.

Colombia has a chance too.

stokesmessiah
26-06-2014, 10:23 PM
I just cant see Brazil winning it. They are two dodgy at the back, a decent team marks Neymar out the game and can run at that back four and they will score.

Mon Dieu4
26-06-2014, 10:24 PM
Voted Germany, but I'd like Colombia or Argentina to win it

frazeHFC
26-06-2014, 10:25 PM
Gone with Argentina. Right now there are a few teams who are playing better but as mentioned it's a marathon not a sprint.....and they have Messi.

Hibrandenburg
26-06-2014, 10:26 PM
Voted Germany, but I'd like Colombia or Argentina to win it

The Erics looked a bit off the boil tonight. They'll have to step up a gear to stand a chance.

Mon Dieu4
26-06-2014, 10:28 PM
The Erics looked a bit off the boil tonight. They'll have to step up a gear to stand a chance.

I think when needed they still have another couple of gears to go up

BOB MARLEYS DUG
26-06-2014, 10:30 PM
Will be either Argentina, Germany, Brazil or Holland.

If none of them win it, I will be VERY surprised.

CorrieHibs
26-06-2014, 10:37 PM
I'm going for Argentina to win it. I think the last 4 will be Brazil v France and Argentina v Holland

Hibrandenburg
26-06-2014, 10:38 PM
I think when needed they still have another couple of gears to go up

Traditionally the Germans get stronger as the tournament proceeds, here's hoping! :thumbsup:

Bronson
26-06-2014, 10:45 PM
Got my money on Germany and Muller top scorer. Germany just so strong from back to front.
Argentina's defence and midfield will let them down, surprised how popular a choice they are.
Colombia were my dark horse from the start, they'll be a tough team for anyone and could have been serious players had Falcao been fit.
Think France and Holland will come up short but they'll be tough teams to beat.

Personally think the winner of Germany v Brazil, who are likely to meet in the semis, will win the tournament.

Sir David Gray
26-06-2014, 11:35 PM
Germany to win it.

SteveHFC
26-06-2014, 11:36 PM
Colombia or Mexico for other reasons :wink:

hibs4thecup1988
26-06-2014, 11:44 PM
France

Just_Jimmy
26-06-2014, 11:51 PM
Colombia. Same as at the start.

VAMOS.

Lewis77
27-06-2014, 05:12 AM
I said Brazil Argentina final with Argentina winning at the start. However after watching the games I think Holland could reach the final again and if it's not v's Brazil will win for the first time! If Brazil get to the final I think they'll win, but I have a vibe they won't get there. My morning thought at 6:10.

BT58
27-06-2014, 06:35 AM
France
me too
make amends for the last time

heretoday
27-06-2014, 06:40 AM
Germany. Argies defence is suspect.

Steve20
27-06-2014, 06:49 AM
I said Brazil at the start, so I'll stick to that. However the over-reliance on Neymar could be a worry.

If not, then I think Germany will win.

PeeJay
27-06-2014, 07:00 AM
Voted Brazil, mainly because I think a South American team will win this by means fair or foul. Neymar & home advantage may provide the little bit extra to get them over the line. I can see Germany reaching the semi's, but they have only looked really good against Portugal (who were awful on the day) I think they would then probably meet Brazil (in the SF?) and that may well be end of the road ... last night's performance against the USA didn't impress me, better teams will cause them problems ... would be good if a European team could bring the trophy "home" though

lord bunberry
27-06-2014, 08:50 AM
I would say France have looked the best so far(I haven't seen Columbia yet) but Belgium have impressed me by the way they've managed to dig out results when not playing that great, they've got so many potential match winners and haven't conceded a goal from open play yet. I believe they're due to play Brazil in the quarter finals, I can see them winning that one.

RP1875
27-06-2014, 09:11 AM
Argentina.

Brazil to be put out on Saturday!

Michael
27-06-2014, 09:17 AM
Brazil for me. They've started slowly and the winners of the tournament usually do.

IanM
27-06-2014, 09:56 AM
I've voted the Swiss since i've bet them, although it was planned for them to win the group so I could lay a bit off!

I've also bet them 11/2 to reach the semi's which I imagine will be possible if they get past the Argies

hibsbollah
27-06-2014, 10:07 AM
Got my money on Germany and Muller top scorer. Germany just so strong from back to front.
Argentina's defence and midfield will let them down, surprised how popular a choice they are.
Colombia were my dark horse from the start, they'll be a tough team for anyone and could have been serious players had Falcao been fit.
Think France and Holland will come up short but they'll be tough teams to beat.

Personally think the winner of Germany v Brazil, who are likely to meet in the semis, will win the tournament.

Theres a good argument that Colombia are better without Falcao. Jackson Martinez is looking unbelievable in the centre forward position (that's where he scores a ridiculous number of goals for Porto) but when Falcao played they played Martinez as a winger where he was less effective (according to that Tim Vickery boy). They look good all over the pitch.

Mon Dieu4
27-06-2014, 10:10 AM
Theres a good argument that Colombia are better without Falcao. Jackson Martinez is looking unbelievable in the centre forward position (that's where he scores a ridiculous number of goals for Porto) but when Falcao played they played Martinez as a winger where he was less effective (according to that Tim Vickery boy). They look good all over the pitch.

Vickery is a great pundit and probably has more knowledge than the rest put together, his BBC blog and Q&As about South American football are quality

Bobby's Cinema
27-06-2014, 10:26 AM
Germany look strong to me. Fancy them for it.

Just_Jimmy
27-06-2014, 11:01 AM

Jackson only started the last game.
They played teo guterrez through the middle in games 1 and 2. James Rodriquez is the key for them. You are right that Jackson is quality, if he plays from now on in he'll score goals. They have LOADS of goals in the team, teo, jackson and rodriquez are all quality. Cuadrado and Quintero are lightening quick and can chip in with goals. The middle is solid in guarin and Aguilar. Zapata is decent at the back. They lack a little a fullback but its not awful and maybe the keeper is a little suspect but again not awful.

They'll beat Uraguay - certainly now witjout Suarez. I think they are good enough to shock Brazil, although I wouldn't be surprised if the quarter final is Chile v Colombia. They can beat Germany because anyteam who puts a ball over Mertesackers head and runs at him will, I actually think it may be Colombia v France in the semi.

I think they'll make the final. Hopefully they can contain Messi defensively.

Bronson
27-06-2014, 12:17 PM

I thought Martinez looked good against Japan the other night but he didn't start the other 2 games, not sure if he even came on. Is he their first choice without Falcao? Quintero among others was starting before him.

Think Falcao is a great player and would improve any team, a straight swap with him for the striker they currently start would make them a stronger side IMO, he's world class.

Phil D. Rolls
27-06-2014, 01:14 PM
Holland have a very tactically astute manager, and they have the players to cope with change of formation. If they can deal with Messi in the semi - and other teams have worked out ways of doing it, it's all down to avoiding Brazil in the final.

joe breezy
27-06-2014, 03:25 PM
I've got a bet on Holland each way to win so that's what i'm hoping for - I wouldn't be surprised if it's Argentina or Germany though.

I haven't seen enough of brazil yet but got the impression they're over-rated

weonlywon6-2
27-06-2014, 03:44 PM
England,if they dont then Argentina

ekhibee
27-06-2014, 04:09 PM
I just cant see Brazil winning it. They are two dodgy at the back, a decent team marks Neymar out the game and can run at that back four and they will score.
This. Too right they're dodgy, they're far too casual, particularly Luiz, who I don't rate as a defender at all. I voted for the Netherlands, basically because they've got pace to burn up front against some of the better sides who have slow defences, although Argentina were great to watch in the last game, but both of them aren't anything special at the back either. Ironically, despite the huge goal tally in the World Cup so far, it might well come down to who has the best defence.

HibbyDave
27-06-2014, 05:41 PM
Can't get vote to register but I'll go for Belgium.

mim
27-06-2014, 07:14 PM
Brasil will win. Even England won when they played at home.

hibsbollah
28-06-2014, 12:57 PM
I thought Martinez looked good against Japan the other night but he didn't start the other 2 games, not sure if he even came on. Is he their first choice without Falcao? Quintero among others was starting before him.

Think Falcao is a great player and would improve any team, a straight swap with him for the striker they currently start would make them a stronger side IMO, he's world class.

It's just one interpretation mate. Vickery is convinced that Jackson 'chachacha' Martinez is their best #9, and because he hasnt got Falcaos crazy transfer fee and Porto arent as fashionable as some clubs, he has been overlooked by the European media. Crazy ball skills and 40 odd goals last season. We'll soon see where he gets deployed tonight. I hope he destroys the Uruguayans.

Just_Jimmy
28-06-2014, 12:58 PM
It's just one interpretation mate. Vickery is convinced that Jackson 'chachacha' Martinez is their best #9, and because he hasnt got Falcaos crazy transfer fee has been overlooked by the European media. We'll soon see where he gets deployed tonight. I hope he destroys the Uruguayans.

I have Colombia to win it Martinez to win the golden boot at 500/1. We'll see.

hibsbollah
28-06-2014, 01:02 PM
I have Colombia to win it Martinez to win the golden boot at 500/1. We'll see.

I love these crazy bets. Might have a bit of that mysrlf.

portyhibernian
28-06-2014, 01:05 PM
France look like the best team there for me, but would like to see Chile, Colombia or Mexico go all the way, those 3 have been by far the most entertaining to watch. Brazil are very over rated IMO and their dodgy defence and over reliance on Neymar will be their undoing.

Spike Mandela
28-06-2014, 01:11 PM
I remember in Japan/Korea 2002 there were loads of upsets and big teams eliminated seriously it looked like the final could be South Korea v Turkey.

Even though it was the most surprising World Cup I could ever remember ended up with a final of Braziv v Germany, probably the most predictable final pre tournament.:rolleyes: I could see that happening again but would love a surprise package to see their way through.

ekhibee
28-06-2014, 02:23 PM
I remember in Japan/Korea 2002 there were loads of upsets and big teams eliminated seriously it looked like the final could be South Korea v Turkey.

Even though it was the most surprising World Cup I could ever remember ended up with a final of Braziv v Germany, probably the most predictable final pre tournament.:rolleyes: I could see that happening again but would love a surprise package to see their way through.
I think it depends on the way the teams are divided after the quarter finals.Actually I don't think Brazil can meet Germany in the final, they're both in the same half of the draw and will probably meet in the semi-final if they both go through. The way the groups have been split it looks like they're aiming for a Brazil v Argentina final, but like some others on here, I don't really fancy Brazil to make it that far, and both of them look shaky at the back.

Lewis77
28-06-2014, 02:54 PM
I already have money on Argentina from the start of the world cup but just stuck ten on Holland to win.

Phil D. Rolls
28-06-2014, 07:16 PM
I already have money on Argentina from the start of the world cup but just stuck ten on Holland to win.

What's the odds?

ekhibee
28-06-2014, 07:22 PM
What's the odds?
8/1 with betfred.

Phil D. Rolls
28-06-2014, 07:24 PM
8/1 with betfred.

Odds may depend on their next performance, I think I'll hang back.

DH1875
29-06-2014, 12:45 AM
You've got to feel for Colombia. With a fit Falcao, this really could have been their year.

ekhibee
29-06-2014, 01:00 AM
You've got to feel for Colombia. With a fit Falcao, this really could have been their year.
Yep, they looked good against Uruguay, and James Rodriguez looks a quality player, but imagine if he and Falcao had been playing together. It's a pity, it'd be great to have a new name on the trophy, but I just think they might fall short somehow. They'll certainly give Brazil a game though.