PDA

View Full Version : NHC Suarez Banned for 4 Months

MB62
26-06-2014, 02:16 PM
Uruguay striker Luis Suarez has been suspended from all football-related activity for four months for biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini.

Fifa's independent disciplinary committee imposed the ban after finding the 27-year-old guilty of misconduct.

Suarez has also been banned for nine international matches, ruling him out of the rest of the World Cup.

The incident occurred during Tuesday's 2014 Fifa World Cup Group D game, which Uruguay won to qualify for the last 16.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
26-06-2014, 02:20 PM
Atleast he wont be leaving Liverpool :greengrin

southsider
26-06-2014, 02:26 PM
Uruguay striker Luis Suarez has been suspended from all football-related activity for four months for biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini.

Fifa's independent disciplinary committee imposed the ban after finding the 27-year-old guilty of misconduct.

Suarez has also been banned for nine international matches, ruling him out of the rest of the World Cup.

The incident occurred during Tuesday's 2014 Fifa World Cup Group D game, which Uruguay won to qualify for the last 16.
When is the appeal ?

weonlywon6-2
26-06-2014, 02:33 PM
Thats crap,should have been far longer.
Someone in his position should have been hammered by fifa,bottlers if you ask me

Sylar
26-06-2014, 02:35 PM
Cool - I'm going to go and bite one of our more odious co-workers and enjoy the next 4 months continuing to be paid ludicrous volumes of money whilst sitting around playing my XBox :rolleyes:

Keith_M
26-06-2014, 02:48 PM
Cool - I'm going to go and bite one of our more odious co-workers and enjoy the next 4 months continuing to be paid ludicrous volumes of money whilst sitting around playing my XBox :rolleyes:

I've no idea if this is possible or not (I suspect 'not') but wouldn't Liverpool be within their rights to fine him a couple of months wages?

I would have thought there's a clause in players' contracts about 'bringing the name of the club into disrepute', or some such.

:dunno:

Aside from that, I have to admit to being surprised they've given such a hefty punishment. I had a feeling they would bottle it. Now if they could just do something about all the bribes and corruption within FIFA.....

ScottB
26-06-2014, 02:48 PM

You would hope Liverpool wouldn't have to pay him during the ban.

Seems strange he misses 9 Uruguay games, but 13 Liverpool. I'd have been inclined to go to the maximum 24 international games alongside the 4 months (if not longer).

Still, at least they've prevented an appeal loophole cop out.

brian6-2
26-06-2014, 02:52 PM
Absolute joke punishment, Should have been locked up.

Lewis77
26-06-2014, 02:53 PM
If they stick to the punishment after the appeal, I will concede it's the best I would expect from FIFA. Has restored a wee bit of faith back in the organisation.

Presuming there will be an appeal?

Keith_M
26-06-2014, 02:57 PM

I'm not sure but I've got a feeling that wasn't one of the sanctions available to FIFA.

:wink:

The_Todd
26-06-2014, 02:57 PM

I don't think FIFA are allowed to jail footballers. If there's been no police action you can't blame FIFA...

sh00byd00
26-06-2014, 03:02 PM
I still find Uruguay's reaction to all of this hilarious. It's like they have collectively refused to watch any of the videos or look at any pictures relating to this. Thus far it's the English, Italian and Brazilian media that are to blame for all of this. Looks as if they've taken a leaf out of the Rangers' fans book. Everyone else is at fault other than the person that committed the act.

Pretty Boy
26-06-2014, 03:02 PM
Reckon Liverpool will sell him now.

If Barcelona are still interested they could still get a decent fee and offload his wage bill onto someone else, he's going to be contributing zero for the 1st couple of months plus of the season now.

Undoubtedly a talent but I don't see how Liverpool can justify him missing another chunk of games through suspension (is this the 3rd time now?). Let's be honest there's no guarantee it won't happen again.

brian6-2
26-06-2014, 03:05 PM
I'm not sure but I've got a feeling that wasn't one of the sanctions available to FIFA.

assault in front of thousands of witnesses and caught on camera should be.

chiellini should press charges.

BT58
26-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Atleast he wont be leaving Liverpool :greengrin

the main reporter for sky is stating that either Barca or Real will still put in bids for him, [players and cash]
originally it was 80 mill,, it may well be a lot less now

Scouse Hibee
26-06-2014, 03:16 PM
What an absolute bellend of a man, Liverpool stuck by him (wrongly in my opinon) and once again he has left the club in a position where they are without a player because of a lenghty ban. ****** clown should have been emptied last time you reap what you sow Liverpool :grr:

RP1875
26-06-2014, 03:19 PM
What an absolute bellend of a man, Liverpool stuck by him (wrongly in my opinon) and once again he has left the club in a position where they are without a player because of a lenghty ban. ****** clown should have been emptied last time you reap what you sow Liverpool :grr:

By sticking by him Liverpool will probably sell him for double the price or more that was quoted last season if they are to sell now. :agree:

Scouse Hibee
26-06-2014, 03:24 PM
By sticking by him Liverpool will probably sell him for double the price or more that was quoted last season if they are to sell now. :agree:

I don't give a **** what they get for him, he should never have been allowed to stay at Liverpool and I will never change my stance on that!

st3vie
26-06-2014, 03:29 PM
Really not enough of a punishment... Liverpool will suffer more than the player himself

HKhibby
26-06-2014, 03:30 PM

Good the guy is a horrible ignorant piece of rubbish!...**** in fact! i do not like Liverpool one little bit, but surely they would have the sense now to empty him...sell him on...if anyone will buy him after this!

The_Horde
26-06-2014, 03:31 PM
the main reporter for sky is stating that either Barca or Real will still put in bids for him, [players and cash]
originally it was 80 mill,, it may well be a lot less now

Have barca not got a signing ban? Or did it get lifted?

I say that because real are in talks to sign Falcao.

Moon unit
26-06-2014, 03:45 PM
So they throw the book at Suarez ,huge ban,make him public enemy No 1...meanwhile FIFA hierarchy continue to get away with corruption and bribes!...Closer to home Rebecka Brooks walks free from the courts following disgraceful acts against innocent people...strange world we live in!

Moon unit
26-06-2014, 03:48 PM
Good the guy is a horrible ignorant piece of rubbish!...**** in fact! i do not like Liverpool one little bit, but surely they would have the sense now to empty him...sell him on...if anyone will buy him after this!
Easy to say for for fans from other clubs....Liverpool tried hard to help the guy, they are being more punished than Uraguay!

NOLA
26-06-2014, 03:57 PM
seems harsh to me, not like hes done any lasting damage, might want to look into his genealogy for Romanian roots :a bite:

Kato
26-06-2014, 04:04 PM
i do not like Liverpool one little bit

I like Liverpool that little bit more now.

jacomo
26-06-2014, 04:14 PM
Conspiracy!

The video footage clearly shows the Italian thug recklessly shouldering poor wee Luis in the teeth! They then (through a process not fully understood) photo-shopped an image of a bite mark onto his shoulder to try and get Luis sent off!

It's an Ango-Italian stitch up! Cheap morality!

BT58
26-06-2014, 04:28 PM
;4077428']Have barca not got a signing ban? Or did it get lifted?

I say that because real are in talks to sign Falcao.

It was the spanish reporter that stated both Real and Barca were still interested,it was on sky world cup report

Hibs Class
26-06-2014, 04:42 PM
So they throw the book at Suarez ,huge ban,make him public enemy No 1...meanwhile FIFA hierarchy continue to get away with corruption and bribes!...Closer to home Rebecka Brooks walks free from the courts following disgraceful acts against innocent people...strange world we live in!

I must admit I didn't immediately see the connection between Suarez and Brookes!

blackpoolhibs
26-06-2014, 04:45 PM
I must admit I didn't immediately see the connection between Suarez and Brookes!

:tee hee:

Phil D. Rolls
26-06-2014, 04:47 PM

Well, according to the courts, Brooks did nothing wrong. More to the point, there will be other examples of cheating and foul play during the World Cup. FIFA will have to be consistent.

Bronson
26-06-2014, 04:53 PM
Would you rather be on the receiving end of a Suarez bite (aye I know those gnashers could do some damage) or a knee-high, two-footed, leg-breaking tackle? Think I know which I'd rather.

Roy Keane's on Alf Inge Haaland springs to mind, common assault, do that in the street and you're looking at jail time. Did he get a 4 month ban? Did he sh*te.

Impossible to defend what Suarez did, but a 4 month ban is excessive IMO. Shame because he's one of, if not the most talented and entertaining players in the world just now, right up there with Messi and Ronaldo for me.

Moon unit
26-06-2014, 04:55 PM
Was more to do with the way the public react to news events.Suarez -"hang him", Brooke's - let's ignore her wrong doings!

Moon unit
26-06-2014, 05:02 PM
Well, according to the courts, Brooks did nothing wrong. More to the point, there will be other examples of cheating and foul play during the World Cup. FIFA will have to be consistent.

According to the courts....? remember David Cameron's brother was involved in the proceedings!...anyway back to football ..Suarez was stupid,but Blatter and co are bigger cheats!

Phil D. Rolls
26-06-2014, 05:02 PM
Was more to do with the way the public react to news events.Suarez -"hang him", Brooke's - let's ignore her wrong doings!

Fair comment. Funnily enough there is a massive non-story making the front pages at the moment, whilst big stories like the NOTW trial slip by unnoticed. Could they by any chance be related?

Stupidest comment I've heard so far, was Graham Taylor saying that Suarez needs medical help. How the **** does he know? If we give every twat that does something stupid medical help, the hospitals will be overwhelmed.

jacomo
26-06-2014, 05:08 PM

A choice phrase, indeed. Can only imagine she was a fairly incompetent editor and CEO, then, as she didn't seem to know how NoW generated many of its biggest stories??

As for FIFA, they've let a few stray elbows go unpunished already, and seemed to think Fred's dive in the first game to win a penalty was fair game.

I don't think this inconsistency should excuse Suarez, though. He put FIFA in a situation where they had to act, and that's down to him and him alone.

Moon unit
26-06-2014, 05:09 PM
Was really making a point about public opinion to news events.
bye the way ..both guilty,...but one had the prime ministers brother in charge of proceedings to ensure innocence!

Phil D. Rolls
26-06-2014, 05:11 PM
Was really making a point about public opinion to news events.
bye the way ..both guilty,...but one had the prime ministers brother in charge of proceedings to ensure innocence!

Bread and circuses.

Hibiza
26-06-2014, 05:31 PM
deserves it. bet he's a yam fud.

Hibiza
26-06-2014, 05:37 PM
3 times, 3 diff comps, guys just a vampire. takes a diff (mad) mind to do it .

Nando™
26-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Absolute cretin of a man. He can have no complaints at the ban, especially after having done the exact same thing twice before.

Who the **** bites the opposition in a game of football? The boy is nutcase, let's hope he learns how to stop this behaviour before he subjects one of his next victims to a life-threatening injury.

Mon Dieu4
26-06-2014, 05:57 PM
Best bit about the whole affair was Shearer having a go at him, must have forget he volleyed Lennon clean in the face, id rather get bitten than that

The_Exile
26-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Best bit about the whole affair was Shearer having a go at him, must have forget he volleyed Lennon clean in the face, id rather get bitten than that

The best bit was the ref telling the physio to bolt :greengrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8fMbxLTpps

MarkGilchimp
26-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Well said. If every time someone was assaulted playing football (or other contact sports) the prisons would be even fuller.

Would you rather be on the receiving end of a Suarez bite (aye I know those gnashers could do some damage) or a knee-high, two-footed, leg-breaking tackle? Think I know which I'd rather.

Roy Keane's on Alf Inge Haaland springs to mind, common assault, do that in the street and you're looking at jail time. Did he get a 4 month ban? Did he sh*te.

Impossible to defend what Suarez did, but a 4 month ban is excessive IMO. Shame because he's one of, if not the most talented and entertaining players in the world just now, right up there with Messi and Ronaldo for me.

emerald green
26-06-2014, 07:00 PM
You see players regularly kicking and/or elbowing their opponents, even putting the head on them. But biting an opponent during a match does seem very weird to me. I don't recall ever having seen that before during a football match, other than from Saurez.

Tynie01011973
26-06-2014, 07:15 PM

Why is that excessive ?

He was given a 10 game suspension for the previous bite on Ivanovic which ruled him out for the last 4 games of the 2012/13 EPL Season and then the first 6 matches of the 2013/14 season.

So that ban was effectively 3 months, ie. May and the following August+September.

Why should the penalty for a a third offence not carry a heavier ban ?

Mon Dieu4
26-06-2014, 07:23 PM
Guy on the BBC news has just said that all his total bans for biting once he is back will be 47 games, that is mental, full season of his career lost to being a bam

(((Fergus)))
26-06-2014, 07:39 PM

Yeah, but "kicking is part and parcel of the game" :rolleyes:

Should have had a retrospective red, one match suspension, and, since it is obviously a mental complaint that may or may not be curable, been given a muzzle.

The Falcon
26-06-2014, 08:32 PM
When are they going to ban players for out and out cheating like diving to try to win, and sometimes successfully, penalties etc.?

Forza Fred
26-06-2014, 08:49 PM

They will but they won't be able to identify such behaviour un every match under its control...ie even Sunday League games.

This was about as high profile as it gets and deserved action.

I guess, with the huge number of games technically under FIFA control, they will have to be careful not to bite off more than they can chew......:wink:

frazeHFC
26-06-2014, 08:50 PM
Just downloaded a video of Luis Suarez's greatest moments. It was only 3 mega bites.

stoneyburn hibs
26-06-2014, 10:56 PM
In retrospect, having the survivors of the 1972 Uruguayan rugby team provide a motivational speech before the World Cup wasn't such a great idea...

Sir David Gray
26-06-2014, 11:21 PM
I'm glad he's got a worldwide football ban and not just one that applies to international football.

I would also like the Brazilian police to get involved as well and for criminal charges to be brought against him for this behaviour but I guess that would require Giorgio Chiellini to make a complaint and I don't see that happening unfortunately.

Lewis77
27-06-2014, 05:48 AM
3 times, 3 diff comps, guys just a vampire. takes a diff (mad) mind to do it .

Plus the 10 game ban (was it?) for racial abuse, the guy simply has form! He has committed these acts of unsporting behavior thus bringing the game into disrepute, then on every occasion attempted to dismiss/bull s*** his way out of them. On this occasion he claims a clash with the shoulder then dismisses the incident as being minor, that "these things happen in football".

Every time he has committed one of these unsporting acts he has followed by claiming that they are nothing and that people are 'over-reacting'! He claims that it's the 'media' and that he is being victimised. The man has form!

I also see that on this occasion the Uruguay team/FA are offering a united front in support of Saurez. Some reports claim that the Uruguay team may boycott their next game. I believe this to be misguided as was the support shown by Liverpool FC for Saurez following the racial affair, which did damage to Liverpool's reputation and made the owners very unhappy. It also didn't help Kenny come end of the season.

Suarez has form, therefore the long ban! People need to stop pandering to him, he's grown man gnawing on folks.

That's my biting take on Mr. Suarez this morning.

carnoustiehibee
27-06-2014, 06:00 AM
A different perspective to the incident. A few sweary words mind

http://seeingredonline.com/?p=1435

Calum68
27-06-2014, 06:28 AM
A different perspective to the incident. A few sweaty words mind

Definitely a different viewpoint but there were certainly parts I agree with. Thanks for sharing.

bigwheel
27-06-2014, 06:57 AM
A different perspective to the incident. A few sweary words mind

At last, some sense of perspective on this issue...well worth a read - it's does indeed have bad language though,,,

The Green Goblin
27-06-2014, 07:12 AM
The best bit was the ref telling the physio to bolt :greengrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8fMbxLTpps

Someone should tweet that at him- he's been a picture of moral outrage over this.

Time For Heroes
27-06-2014, 10:43 AM
Suarez has been binned from one of his sponsors 888.
(Ate ate ate)
I honestly thought someone was at the wind up!

lyonhibs
27-06-2014, 11:25 AM

Not for a 3rd biting offence it's not.

I agree with the rest of your point though. Strachan had a great wee rant when that plonker Chiles started getting all holier than thou about it last night.

Football and footballers have plumbed depths far greater than biting.

Phil D. Rolls
27-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Not for a 3rd biting offence it's not.

I agree with the rest of your point though. Strachan had a great wee rant when that plonker Chiles started getting all holier than thou about it last night.

Football and footballers have plumbed depths far greater than biting.

Thats the point. You would think we are talking about a sport where cheating is not at the centre of the games ethos. Suarez is a goat, but why do we still laugh at that picture of Vinny Jones squeezing Gazzas nuts?

It's the same hypocrisy as screaming at an opposition player for diving in the box, and celebrating the penalty that your team scores, when your player has.

Suarezs crimes have been: scoring against England, and posing a threat to Brazil.

R'Albin
27-06-2014, 01:57 PM
Suarez has been binned from one of his sponsors 888.
(Ate ate ate)
I honestly thought someone was at the wind up!

The betting company who advertises on porn sites taking the moral high ground :hilarious

27-06-2014, 07:22 PM
Feel sorry for Liverpool tbh. Time and time again this guy has embarrassed the club despite continuously helping and supporting the guy. Liverpool will probably have to do something as well - I know the incident took place on international duty but they will probably want to do soemthing to show they absolutely condem his actions.

Hibercelona
27-06-2014, 07:53 PM
For those saying that his ban is a bit excessive as worse things happen in football. You should realize that biting can actually be very deadly, even from a human.

Suarez bit Chiellini on the neck. He could have bitten through the jugular, which can easily result in death.

The man should be facing a very lengthy jail sentence for his actions, not a 4 month ban from some game that makes him a fortune.

blackpoolhibs
27-06-2014, 07:55 PM
For those saying that his ban is a bit excessive as worse things happen in football. You should realize that biting can actually be very deadly, even from a human.

Suarez bit Chiellini on the neck. He could have bitten through the jugular, which can easily result in death.

The man should be facing a very lengthy jail sentence for his actions, not a 4 month ban from some game that makes him a fortune.

Even for you this is an absolute belter. :top marks :faf::faf:

Hibercelona
27-06-2014, 08:00 PM
Even for you this is an absolute belter. :top marks :faf::faf:

The human bite can generate over 120kgs of force. it's very much possible and does happen.

Mon Dieu4
27-06-2014, 08:19 PM
Now I've never been to medical school but i genuinely never knew that your jugular was at the top of your arm, i learn something new on here every day

blackpoolhibs
27-06-2014, 08:29 PM
The human bite can generate over 120kgs of force. it's very much possible and does happen.

:faf: Please stop it before you make yourself look even dafter than you are.

Sir David Gray
27-06-2014, 08:36 PM

I would agree with you that his ban is not excessive but I think it's a bit much to say that what he did could "easily result in death".

Biting someone could maybe result in an infection but you would be very unlucky to die as a result of a human biting you, unless they had something like HIV or rabies.

Scouse Hibee
27-06-2014, 08:41 PM

You have to be on the wind up with that one...............brilliant attempt mate :faf:

HappyAsHellas
27-06-2014, 08:43 PM
I think his ban is very excessive - originally I wanted to take the moral high ground, but there was such a seething mass of people scrabbling to get there that I didn't make it. On reflection, he is being treated very harshly.

down-the-slope
27-06-2014, 08:55 PM
The betting company who advertises on porn sites taking the moral high ground :hilarious

:Ummm: and you can confirm this :rolleyes:

Bronson
27-06-2014, 09:01 PM

He bit him on the shoulder not the neck for starters but that second line has to be a wind-up... surely:faf:

(((Fergus)))
27-06-2014, 09:02 PM
Knowing how British pundits love to pore over and pontificate on the disgraceful actions of players, I'm surprised I missed the discussion on this incident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhy__Qhy3AY

What did crisp-face and pointy-heid have to say about this then? Just being too honest?

stubru59
27-06-2014, 09:07 PM
I think his ban is very excessive - originally I wanted to take the moral high ground, but there was such a seething mass of people scrabbling to get there that I didn't make it. On reflection, he is being treated very harshly.

If this had been a one off offence there's no doubt the length of the ban could be deemed excessive. It isn't, and there is little sign Suarez has learned from his previous. In that sense it's difficult to see how he is being treated harshly.

HappyAsHellas
27-06-2014, 10:24 PM
In the sense that while there are rules governing punishment meted out and rightly so, it's the hypocrisy that surrounds this which makes it quite troublesome. Paul Elliot's career, and therefore his earning potential was wiped out with one very cynical, deliberate, over the top tackle/assault. So to ruin a guys life is an automatic one match ban, but to bite someone gets you banned from all football stadiums, team hotels - (wtf has that got to do with anything) and hysterical people wanting the guy jailed. It just isn't all that violent in reality. As someone else posted, which would you rather be on the receiving end of: Roy Keane's knee shattering kick, or a nibble from Suarez? Don't get me wrong - it's truly bizarre, but not that violent in the grand scheme of things.

Jonnyboy
27-06-2014, 10:46 PM

No he didn't

Allan45
27-06-2014, 11:33 PM
My dog 10 years ago bit a passer by in the park and got put down... Only saying....:confused:

Phil D. Rolls
28-06-2014, 08:40 AM

The veins are in the neck, Suarez bit the guys shoulder. For that reason alone, your outrageous suggestion about sending him to jail is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen on this forum.

People don't get lengthy jail sentences for minor offences, committed in the course of a sporting competition. If they did, there would never be another game of rugby.

Your constant quest to see the worst in any situation is becoming comical. Maybe it's time you wound your neck in?

HappyAsHellas
28-06-2014, 09:29 AM
We should also remember that the marks on the shoulder are very old ones - so who's cheating now then?

Hibercelona
28-06-2014, 11:38 AM
Shoulder? Neck? What does it matter? I doubt he was being careful about where he was aiming his teeth. He was just fortunate not to have caught the player further up.

Also, to say that it's doesn't merit a jail sentence due to it being a sporting event is just plain stupidity. No football player expects to be bitten in their career, thats because it has nothing to do with the sport that they sign up for. It's an assault. Not to be confused with a poorly timed tackle, which is part of the game.

Bronson
28-06-2014, 11:48 AM
Shoulder? Neck? What does it matter? I doubt he was being careful about where he was aiming his teeth. He was just fortunate not to have caught the player further up.

Also, to say that it's doesn't merit a jail sentence due to it being a sporting event is just plain stupidity. No football player expects to be bitten in their career, thats because it has nothing to do with the sport that they sign up for. It's an assault. Not to be confused with a poorly timed tackle, which is part of the game.

He bit him on the shoulder, to suggest he could have killed Cheillini is just laughable:faf:

It merits a jail sentence in the same way that Alan Shearer's kick to Neil Lennon's face deserved a jail sentence, both assault but neither will have you serving hard time in the slammer.

Even Cheillini himself has said he thinks the punishment was harsh and he even feels sorry for Suarez, perhaps that shows he is a gentleman, perhaps it shows it was an excessive punishment, maybe both. I think you need to take a step back and look at the situation with a bit of perspective.

HappyAsHellas
28-06-2014, 11:50 AM
Boxers don't expect to be bitten, neither do rugby players, so are you suggesting we jail them all, or just the ones people get hysterical about?

blackpoolhibs
28-06-2014, 12:19 PM

Just about sums up every post you make.

MWHIBBIES
28-06-2014, 12:40 PM
https://vine.co/v/MwFAH5nZ2hF

This thread reminds me of that.

Time For Heroes
28-06-2014, 01:17 PM

Haha brilliant

blackpoolhibs
28-06-2014, 01:34 PM

Shocking, Fergie was right, it was life or death there for a moment. :greengrin

stubru59
28-06-2014, 02:31 PM
In the sense that while there are rules governing punishment meted out and rightly so, it's the hypocrisy that surrounds this which makes it quite troublesome. Paul Elliot's career, and therefore his earning potential was wiped out with one very cynical, deliberate, over the top tackle/assault. So to ruin a guys life is an automatic one match ban, but to bite someone gets you banned from all football stadiums, team hotels - (wtf has that got to do with anything) and hysterical people wanting the guy jailed. It just isn't all that violent in reality. As someone else posted, which would you rather be on the receiving end of: Roy Keane's knee shattering kick, or a nibble from Suarez? Don't get me wrong - it's truly bizarre, but not that violent in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not suggesting a one off offence merits the ban he received. I'm asking in what sense the ban is excessive given he's already committed three similar offences. And let us not forget, he's also been banned for racial abuse of a fellow player.

This is a player who, despite previous punishments for unacceptable behaviour, appears not to have learned his lesson. In the absence of mitigating circumstances, (for example, mental health problems) what type/length of punishment does his behaviour merit?

HappyAsHellas
28-06-2014, 02:52 PM
A player came on as a sub in the world cup the other night, and one of his statistics was he'd been sent off 9 times in a relatively short period of time. So one one hand, persistent violent challenges are deemed OK to punish using the established rules, yet a different type of violence is treated with punitive measures. Rules are made to be adhered to, falling foul of them lands you in trouble for a fixed term. I cannot see how FIFA can justify what they have done in any legal or moral sense whatsoever. We openly applaud people convicted of all sorts of crimes as football fans do we not?
As for the racism incident what was actually said? I can't remember reading the exact words anywhere, and I would be glad if there is a reference to what actually happened, not just a link to some tabloid report. Why was he not taken to court and charged? I am in no way trying to defend someone if they are a proven racist, I just like to know the facts.

Sir David Gray
28-06-2014, 03:00 PM
A player came on as a sub in the world cup the other night, and one of his statistics was he'd been sent off 9 times in a relatively short period of time. So one one hand, persistent violent challenges are deemed OK to punish using the established rules, yet a different type of violence is treated with punitive measures. Rules are made to be adhered to, falling foul of them lands you in trouble for a fixed term. I cannot see how FIFA can justify what they have done in any legal or moral sense whatsoever. We openly applaud people convicted of all sorts of crimes as football fans do we not?
As for the racism incident what was actually said? I can't remember reading the exact words anywhere, and I would be glad if there is a reference to what actually happened, not just a link to some tabloid report. Why was he not taken to court and charged? I am in no way trying to defend someone if they are a proven racist, I just like to know the facts.

I've no idea who it is that you're referring to so I don't know what he's been sent off for.

However someone can get sent off in a football match for mistiming two different tackles in a match.

Surely you must accept that someone who's found to have bitten an opponent, particularly when it's the third time they have done that in their career, has to be treated differently to someone who has been sent off for two poorly timed tackles?

I take it all back if the player you're speaking about has been sent off due to kicking or elbowing people or he's been making leg breaking challenges.

Phil D. Rolls
28-06-2014, 04:42 PM

It matters in as much as the jugular veins are in the neck, biting his neck could kill him, as you said.

Scouse Hibee
28-06-2014, 06:59 PM

Shoulder neck what does it matter? Not a lot in your case as unless you are on the wind up you obviously have nothing going on above shoulder height anyway!

Phil D. Rolls
28-06-2014, 07:05 PM
Shoulder neck what does it matter? Not a lot in your case as unless you are on the wind up you obviously have nothing going on above shoulder height anyway!

:agree:

HappyAsHellas
28-06-2014, 07:20 PM
I've no idea who it is that you're referring to so I don't know what he's been sent off for.

However someone can get sent off in a football match for mistiming two different tackles in a match.

Surely you must accept that someone who's found to have bitten an opponent, particularly when it's the third time they have done that in their career, has to be treated differently to someone who has been sent off for two poorly timed tackles?

I take it all back if the player you're speaking about has been sent off due to kicking or elbowing people or he's been making leg breaking challenges.

I don't know for sure myself, but the bit in bold is what I mean in this case. If one player is persistently violent over a period of time, or indeed his whole career, why should Suarez be singled out? Because the media demand it?

Sir David Gray
28-06-2014, 08:13 PM
I don't know for sure myself, but the bit in bold is what I mean in this case. If one player is persistently violent over a period of time, or indeed his whole career, why should Suarez be singled out? Because the media demand it?

Because biting is something that is completely out of context within a game of football.

Whilst it's still wrong and deserving of a red card, I can live with a player putting in a fly elbow or putting in a bad challenge or two every now and again because it's easy to get carried away in a game of football.

Biting someone is taking things to a whole different level though.

It is a shocking thing to do to another human being in any situation and I don't think he can complain about the punishment.

If anything, it's not severe enough.

Paisley Hibby
28-06-2014, 08:20 PM
I can understand why some folk are saying the ban is excessive. But this was not just about biting. For me there's 2 other problems. These are his cynical reaction straight afterwards (the 'ouch, he hit me on the teeth with his shoulder' routine) and then, once he realised (surely) that everyone could see he'd bitten the player AND tried to shift the blame for that, he doesn't have the basic decency to admit his mistake/apologise.

He deserves all he gets.

Sir David Gray
28-06-2014, 08:23 PM
I can understand why some folk are saying the ban is excessive. But this was not just about biting. For me there's 2 other problems. These are his cynical reaction straight afterwards (the 'ouch, he hit me on the teeth with his shoulder' routine) and then, once he realised (surely) that everyone could see he'd bitten the player AND tried to shift the blame for that, he doesn't have the basic decency to admit his mistake/apologise.

He deserves all he gets.

He gave a similar reaction last time after the incident with Ivanovic, starting to limp about pretending to be injured and trying to take the focus off himself.

The guy's an arse.

Scouse Hibee
28-06-2014, 08:27 PM
He gave a similar reaction last time after the incident with Ivanovic, starting to limp about pretending to be injured and trying to take the focus off himself.

The guy's an arse.

:agree: I have nothing but contempt for the guy, horrible, despicable **** is the best I can come up with just now but give me time.

Scottie
28-06-2014, 08:58 PM
:agree: I have nothing but contempt for the guy, horrible, despicable **** is the best I can come up with just now but give me time.

Respect to you Scouse as you have never deviated with your opinion on Suarez.

Cant believe he has missed an entire season over the past few years through his Hannibal Lecter antics. :crazy:

Sir David Gray
28-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Seems like Luis Suarez has turned into an England fan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28072902

Scouse Hibee
28-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Respect to you Scouse as you have never deviated with your opinion on Suarez.

Cant believe he has missed an entire season over the past few years through his Hannibal Lecter antics. :crazy:

:agree: Unbelievable mate, once again Liverpool suffer because of his behavior though a bit of me keeps saying it's their own fault for sticking with him in the first place. No player is bigger than the club............................... what a load of ****** that statement is now.

Scottie
28-06-2014, 09:13 PM
:agree: Unbelievable mate, once again Liverpool suffer because of his behavior though a bit of me keeps saying it's their own fault for sticking with him in the first place. No player is bigger than the club............................... what a load of ****** that statement is now.

I think its time for Liverpool to move him on for as much as they can get for him now. There will be big offers on the table for him after the World Cup regardless of his antics again over in Brazil.

I think the lads a footballing genius but this might be a bridge too far for Liverpool to keep supporting him to the detriment of the football club.

Scouse Hibee
28-06-2014, 09:14 PM
I think its time for Liverpool to move him on for as much as they can get for him now. There will be big offers on the table for him after the World Cup regardless of his antics again over in Brazil.

I think the lads a footballing genius but this might be a bridge too far for Liverpool to keep supporting him to the detriment of the football club.

easty
28-06-2014, 10:47 PM

If Barca are willing to give them Alexis Sanchez and a wad of cash, that'd be a good bit of business.

cabbageandribs1875
28-06-2014, 10:54 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28072902

An England football supporter had a piece of his ear bitten off by another England fan at the World Cup in Brazil.
The assault happened during England's match against Uruguay (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25285176) in Sao Paulo on 19 June, British police deployed to the tournament have said.

dearie me

GreenLake
30-06-2014, 03:06 PM
I just noticed that a new shirt I bought has the name "Suarez" as it's style. My fear is that suddenly, half way through dinner I will be overwhelmed by an urge to chomp at the waiter's arm.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/robert-graham-suarez-classic-fit-sport-shirt/3502562?origin=category-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=Black&resultback=0&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-1_1_A

cabbageandribs1875
30-06-2014, 05:36 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28099336

"The truth is that my colleague Giorgio Chiellini suffered the physical result of a bite in the collision he suffered with me," said Suarez in a statement.

i think suarez is trying to say that the italian players shoulder accidently fell in to the grasp of his teeth, thus accidently receiving a bite mark :confused: just say yi bit him ya doughnut ffs

Scouse Hibee
30-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Nice statement Suarez now **** OFF

Jonnyboy
30-06-2014, 06:43 PM
Nice statement Suarez now **** OFF

It's ok Scouse, he's promised not to do it again :wink:

Sir David Gray
30-06-2014, 06:49 PM

Just like he promised not to do it last time and the time before that too.

The guy's a liability and is in need of professional help to sort out this behaviour.

Scouse Hibee
30-06-2014, 06:51 PM

Oh right JB I never realised that, problem solved then, I mean surely he would never do it again and suffer the humiliation of being banned and taking the piss right out of his club. :wink:

Jonnyboy
30-06-2014, 07:05 PM
Just like he promised not to do it last time and the time before that too.

The guy's a liability and is in need of professional help to sort out this behaviour.

Can't help but think you missed the irony/sarcasm in my post :greengrin

Oh right JB I never realised that, problem solved then, I mean surely he would never do it again and suffer the humiliation of being banned and taking the piss right out of his club. :wink:

Seems beyond help :agree:

Sir David Gray
30-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Can't help but think you missed the irony/sarcasm in my post :greengrin

No I didn't, I just can't help but have a go at him whenever I get the opportunity.

Jonnyboy
30-06-2014, 07:35 PM
No I didn't, I just can't help but have a go at him whenever I get the opportunity.

Sounds good to me :aok:

Sir David Gray
30-06-2014, 07:36 PM
Sounds good to me :aok:

Just forgot the wee smilie at the end of my post, that's all.

:greengrin:wink::aok:

Jonnyboy
30-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Just forgot the wee smilie at the end of my post, that's all.

:greengrin:wink::aok:

Have you tried these new ones yet?

:tbgwa::jmcp:

:greengrin

iwasthere1972
30-06-2014, 08:30 PM
One thing you won't hear in the Saurez household is

'Get your coat on Luis we're going down the Italians for a quick bite' :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
02-07-2014, 09:08 AM
It turns out Hibercelona was completely right, please accept my apologies.

Keith_M
02-07-2014, 09:48 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28099336

"The truth is that my colleague Giorgio Chiellini suffered the physical result of a bite in the collision he suffered with me," said Suarez in a statement.

i think suarez is trying to say that the italian players shoulder accidently fell in to the grasp of his teeth, thus accidently receiving a bite mark :confused: just say yi bit him ya doughnut ffs

"Your Honour, the alleged Victim suffered the wounds after falling backward onto the knife held by my Client..... five times. "

Phil D. Rolls
02-07-2014, 05:51 PM
It turns out Hibercelona was completely right, please accept my apologies.

That's as close to the jugular vein as you can get!

blackpoolhibs
02-07-2014, 06:25 PM
Suarez went to the dentist and asked can you pull my teeth out, the dentist said do you not think there out far enough?