PDA

View Full Version : Did relegation make the managerial vacancy more attractive?

tomhorn
25-06-2014, 11:24 AM
Was thinking about this today and wondered what the view is. Were Stubbs (and the others who applied) more attracted to the job of managing us in the Championship as it represents more of a challenge?

If a manager can bring a team up to the SPFL in his first season, this surely looks better on the CV and catches more people's eye than say finishing 5th in the SPFL.

PeterboroHibee
25-06-2014, 11:31 AM
I dont think its necessarily made us more attractive, but Id say it does present a different opportunity than if we were still an SPL club (particularly with all the changes going on behind the scenes). I think Dempster also has a more modern and positive approach to the future of the club, which was definitely lacking before, and fits in with the idea of bringing in a younger, up and coming manager.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-06-2014, 11:46 AM
To answer the OP - No.

jdships
25-06-2014, 12:07 PM
I dont think its necessarily made us more attractive, but Id say it does present a different opportunity than if we were still an SPL club (particularly with all the changes going on behind the scenes). I think Dempster also has a more modern and positive approach to the future of the club, which was definitely lacking before, and fits in with the idea of bringing in a younger, up and coming manager.

Think you have got it just about spot on
I have intentionally kept out of the " Petrie must go" discussion but must admit have felt for the past two seasons , at least, the club was
" stagnating"
LD may , hopefully , provide the spark to wake things up , it's going to take time but with the position Hibs are in " The only way is UP " :greengrin
On a managerial appointment I couldn't see a top rate manager wanting to take on what has been , recently anyway, " a poisoned chalice"
If you look at some of the others mentioned
McInnes led St Johnstone to promotion in his first full season in management for one , so why should Stubbs not succeed ?

:flag:

Jim44
25-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Stubbs must surely be given two years to get us back up. With the best will in the world, we are not certainties to beat Hearts in a play-off. If we don't bounce back in one season, I hope we don't jump on the managerial roundabout in 12 months time. ( unless of course Stubbs turns out to be as poor as previous incumbents.)

Smartie
25-06-2014, 12:41 PM
Stubbs must surely be given two years to get us back up. With the best will in the world, we are not certainties to beat Hearts in a play-off. If we don't bounce back in one season, I hope we don't jump on the managerial roundabout in 12 months time. ( unless of course Stubbs turns out to be as poor as previous incumbents.)

I generally agree, mainly because we've given The Rangers and Hearts such a head-start on us. They've known for months/years that they're likely to be in this league and will have been preparing accordingly. We've had it sprung upon us, we have a new manager, CEO, no goalkeepers etc etc.

As a result I don't expect us to make a great start but I would expect us to get stronger as the season goes on. I am normally livid about how poorly-prepared Hibs seem to be when the season starts but this year it is understandable. It has been better to take our time and ensure that we get the right people in than to rush into another hurried and incorrect appointment.

We could almost as easily be promoted from 4th as we could from 2nd this year albeit we'd have to play a few more games. But that difference could be being edged out on goal difference from the title to being about 30 points behind (presumably) a dominant Huns team. Who knows what we might achieve in the play-offs?

For me it's about a lot more than results this season.

Caversham Green
25-06-2014, 12:45 PM
It's worth bearing in mind that there might not have been a vacancy if we hadn't been relegated, but if Butcher had still gone the new man would have have been taking on a squad that struggled badly in the premiership. There would probably have been less of a clear out of players, expectations would have been high but the scope for improvement would be quite low - maybe a couple of places higher than last season would not have been seen as much of a success.

As it is, Stubbs has his own squad to build in a new league where we are expected to do well but it's recognised that there are at least two other strong clubs so it's understood that promotion should not be a foregone conclusion. I think the chances of being seen to be a success are much higher than they would have been if we had stayed up, so in some respects I think the job is more attractive.

Baader
25-06-2014, 12:47 PM
I'd say no. It's a big demand to get us up first time of asking - which must be the mandate. More pressure than keeping us up in the top flight if we'd have maintained our status...

Turkish Green
25-06-2014, 12:48 PM
The question is will the supporters give him 2 years?

Butcher was thought to be the right man for the job when he was appointed. Supporters were generally positive and supportive until results went pear shaped. He got just over 6 months.

The championship will be difficult with only 10 teams. If the club is not fighting for a place in the play-offs then it will be fighting to stay out of the relegation zone. There is no mid table hiding. We say give Stubbs 2 years now but will we be brave and support him if the team struggles in his first season. I do hope that LD has done her homework.

lord bunberry
25-06-2014, 01:38 PM
The question is will the supporters give him 2 years?

Butcher was thought to be the right man for the job when he was appointed. Supporters were generally positive and supportive until results went pear shaped. He got just over 6 months.

The championship will be difficult with only 10 teams. If the club is not fighting for a place in the play-offs then it will be fighting to stay out of the relegation zone. There is no mid table hiding. We say give Stubbs 2 years now but will we be brave and support him if the team struggles in his first season. I do hope that LD has done her homework.

He won't get two years if we struggle next season, if we're not in the playoffs he will be sacked and rightly so.

RP1875
25-06-2014, 01:42 PM
Nope. The expectation is a lot higher to get out this league or at least compete rather than just make the top 6 or something.

RN Hibee
25-06-2014, 02:24 PM
Depends on the person, more experienced coaches probably found us less attractive, why risk a respectable career (like Butcher did) on a seemingly poison chalice.

On the other hand, a young and up-and-coming coach probably found the job more attractive, some fresh faces in behind the scenes, a good infrastructure and history and a possibility at a fairly long term project of getting us back to the SPL and establishing us as one of its top teams (which we haven't been for quite a few years), also the knowledge that if they manage to win the Scottish Cup it just about writes them into legend status immediately.

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-06-2014, 07:07 PM
Depending on how long Stubbs would like to stay ( if things go well), you could say that this has the potential to be a decent three year stay. Season one to go up. Season two to stay up. Season three top six.

RP1875
25-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Depending on how long Stubbs would like to stay ( if things go well), you could say that this has the potential to be a decent three year stay. Season one to go up. Season two to stay up. Season three top six.

That sounds utterly depressing for a club of our size :rolleyes:

WestCoastHibby
25-06-2014, 07:53 PM
He deserves two years IF and only if we are a) Promoted b) Miss out on a play off c) finish third or a very close fourth.
We need to get the heads down and crack on with a sustainable plan......
Best of luck.
ps If he wins the Scottish cup he's God and he can have as many years as he likes !!

Sir David Gray
25-06-2014, 11:36 PM
Was thinking about this today and wondered what the view is. Were Stubbs (and the others who applied) more attracted to the job of managing us in the Championship as it represents more of a challenge?

If a manager can bring a team up to the SPFL in his first season, this surely looks better on the CV and catches more people's eye than say finishing 5th in the SPFL.

Although you make a decent point here, I can't help but point out that what is now the SPFL and what used to be the SPL is not the same thing. It seems to be quite a common mistake for people to make.

The SPFL refers to the league structure that is now in place between the Premiership and League Two, which we are a part of.

What used to be the SPL is now called the Premiership.

Sorry, rant over.

Carry on. :greengrin

RIP Bestie
26-06-2014, 02:41 AM

Good point but if that's the case why weren't Paul Hartley or Alex Neil really in the frame for the Hibs job?

tomhorn
26-06-2014, 07:29 AM
Although you make a decent point here, I can't help but point out that what is now the SPFL and what used to be the SPL is not the same thing. It seems to be quite a common mistake for people to make.

The SPFL refers to the league structure that is now in place between the Premiership and League Two, which we are a part of.

What used to be the SPL is now called the Premiership.

Sorry, rant over.

Carry on. :greengrin

'I stand corrected' says the man in the orthopaedic shoe

jacomo
26-06-2014, 10:28 AM
To answer the OP - No.

:agree:

Without relegation, there would probably not have been a vacancy though.

GlenrothesHibee
26-06-2014, 10:31 AM
I don't know if it makes us more attractive but ive been saying for a couple of years now that relegation might be exactly what we need.