PDA

View Full Version : Donaldson signs for Birmingham

Evergreen86
25-06-2014, 10:12 AM
What I would do for him back right now...

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11694/9360766/transfer-news-birmingham-sign-striker-clayton-donaldson-from-brentford

easty
25-06-2014, 10:14 AM
what would you do?

Evergreen86
25-06-2014, 10:17 AM
what would you do?

Walk 500 miles........

easty
25-06-2014, 10:18 AM
Walk 500 miles........

:aok:

John_the_angus_hibby
25-06-2014, 10:33 AM
This shows since Mowbray we have lacked a real coach who can take players and make them better.

That is the main reason I support Stubbs appointment. I am sick to death of seemingly good players becoming crap at Hibs and then after release developing and pushing on.

GGTTH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monktonharp
25-06-2014, 11:49 AM
This shows since Mowbray we have lacked a real coach who can take players and make them better.

That is the main reason I support Stubbs appointment. I am sick to death of seemingly good players becoming crap at Hibs and then after release developing and pushing on.

GGTTH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalksol bamba

Thecat23
25-06-2014, 12:02 PM
sol bamba

Wow.... A whole one player from a turnover of what? Over a hundred?!

Scottie
25-06-2014, 12:04 PM
What I would do for him back right now...

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11694/9360766/transfer-news-birmingham-sign-striker-clayton-donaldson-from-brentford
Good luck to the big fella. Ken's now where the back o the net is.

John_the_angus_hibby
25-06-2014, 12:27 PM
sol bamba

Not sure about that. I think we identified a player with attributes and put him on a bigger stage and reaped a financial reward. I'm sure there was some development, but did we make him a better player? Even then, one. Let's do better than that eh?

RP1875
25-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Not sure about that. I think we identified a player with attributes and put him on a bigger stage and reaped a financial reward. I'm sure there was some development, but did we make him a better player? Even then, one. Let's do better than that eh?

SLG. :wink:

hibbydog
25-06-2014, 12:42 PM

GGTTH

I thought he was murder. No touch or technique. Athlete first, footballer second.

Must have improved a hell of a lot since he was here, but at the time he left I was glad to see the back of him.

Evergreen86
25-06-2014, 01:42 PM
I thought he was murder. No touch or technique. Athlete first, footballer second.

Must have improved a hell of a lot since he was here, but at the time he left I was glad to see the back of him.

Great record before and after Hibs.... What do we do to players? Thought he showed glimpes of what might have been had his time been given

Just dont think he was Mixu's cuppa unfortunately

Dan Sarf
25-06-2014, 01:53 PM

Watched him many times while he was scoring the goals that got Brentford promoted. Be interesting to see how he gets on against Championship defences.

--------
25-06-2014, 02:00 PM

He has.

I've been watching him on the weeknight games on the satellite channels and he's a player who would do very well up here in either the Premiership or the Championship.

The guy who signed him left soon after he came, the next guy didn't know him, the 'supporters' were all getting on his back - no wonder he got out as fast as he could. He's not a bad player by any means right now, IMO.

Stevie Reid
25-06-2014, 02:10 PM
He wasn't given enough of a chance here, as his 13 starts and 8 sub appearances show - he just suffered from Collins hardly being here and Mixu quickly getting rid so he could get Nish in.

Scored 6 in those 13 starts, I know 4 were in one game and yes, he was raw, but he had pace and knew where the goals were - scored a superb solo goal when we got beat by Motherwell in the League Cup as well.

No way of knowing whether he would have developed as well had he stayed - but he was nowhere near hopeless when he was with us. His pace alone would have continued to trouble SPL defences.

.Sean.
25-06-2014, 02:38 PM
He was *****, it's a simple as that really. Yes he's better than what we have and what we've had recently, although that's not saying much. He wasn't good enough when we required him and that's it.

TowerHibs
25-06-2014, 02:47 PM
Reading this thread and matching it with the Kujabi thread just shows how difficult anything is with football these days. No patience at all and OTT reactions the judge a player for the rest of their time at the club (i am not saying Kujabi is good btw)

Like Claros, took him 6 months to settle and then he was a class act. Unfortuately, not everyone gets that chance with our supporters.

Bishop Hibee
25-06-2014, 02:52 PM
Not fit to lace O'Connor or Riordan's boots so suffered in comparison. If he'd done well he'd have been sold on or left at the end of his contract anyway.

The Blues were lucky to stay up and are still a mess financially I think so will be interesting to see how he does.

allezsauzee
25-06-2014, 03:33 PM
I suspect Clayton Donaldson is playing at a similar level to where he was when he left Hibs, it's just that Hibs and Scottish football in general have declined to such an extent that he would actually be a decent signing for us now

Tricla
25-06-2014, 09:50 PM
sol bamba

Is that the same Sol Bamba who played at the World Cup?

BSEJVT
25-06-2014, 10:18 PM
The only thing the matter with Donaldson during his time at ER was that he compared unfavourably to his predecessors.

The_Horde
25-06-2014, 10:26 PM
The only thing the matter with Donaldson during his time at ER was that he compared unfavourably to his predecessors.

Absolutely. Felt for Clayts at the time because there's a player there but he just wasn't up to the same standard as GOC, Riordan and Fletcher.

In hindsight maybe we should've stuck with him because we've certainly had worse players than him playing up front recently. But how were we to know how far we would decline?

JJP
25-06-2014, 10:37 PM
I'm not one to slag off individual players but I thought Donaldson was awful. Saw absolutely nothing in him during his time and I didn't understand why MAC got a harder time from the support. May have been wrong and Donaldson may have developed into a better player but it's years since he left the club and what's done is done. Congratulations to him.

Bostonhibby
25-06-2014, 11:10 PM
We have long since lost track of picking up raw talent, developing it and gaining from it before selling it on. This guy had potential, he suffered from the managerial merry go round and our tendency to go for quick fixes.
Another one who seems to have done better in terms of development since leaving us- He is where he is and we are where we are. Good, improving player in my opinion, puts the ball in the net wherever he plays.

Hibercelona
26-06-2014, 01:21 AM
Truth is, Donaldson was a talented player with plenty of potential. He just couldn't fulfil it here like plenty of others.

Even players that are playing at a lower level now had the potential to be decent for us. They just couldn't get their careers back on track again. That can happen to many players, even after just one bad spell with one club.

RIP Bestie
26-06-2014, 02:29 AM
Truth is, Donaldson was a talented player with plenty of potential. He just couldn't fulfil it here like plenty of others.

Even players that are playing at a lower level now had the potential to be decent for us. They just couldn't get their careers back on track again. That can happen to many players, even after just one bad spell with one club.
Not comparing the two but Donaldsons 6 goals in 21 games probably stands up to Griffiths 11 in 36.Maybe we are too quick to write players off.
It will be interesting to see Collins' record over the next few years and his career potentially escalating.

Holmesdale Hibs
27-06-2014, 09:22 AM
Not comparing the two but Donaldsons 6 goals in 21 games probably stands up to Griffiths 11 in 36.Maybe we are too quick to write players off.
It will be interesting to see Collins' record over the next few years and his career potentially escalating.

No maybe about it. Some of the comments I've read on here regarding players after a handful of games have been laughable. Murphy was too small and overweight, Murray was a luxury, Whittaker not a proper right back, Stokes not good enough, Fletcher too one footed, Riordan too lightweight...

Griffiths is a great example of why players should be given time to settle. Maybe we'd be a few goals a million pounds better up of we'd been a bit more patient with Donaldson.

--------
27-06-2014, 10:35 AM
Reading this thread and matching it with the Kujabi thread just shows how difficult anything is with football these days. No patience at all and OTT reactions the judge a player for the rest of their time at the club (i am not saying Kujabi is good btw)

Like Claros, took him 6 months to settle and then he was a class act. Unfortunately, not everyone gets that chance with our supporters.

Precious few, sadly.

Fools rush to judgement ....

PeterboroHibee
27-06-2014, 10:40 AM
He wasn't given enough of a chance here, as his 13 starts and 8 sub appearances show - he just suffered from Collins hardly being here and Mixu quickly getting rid so he could get Nish in.

Scored 6 in those 13 starts, I know 4 were in one game and yes, he was raw, but he had pace and knew where the goals were - scored a superb solo goal when we got beat by Motherwell in the League Cup as well.

No way of knowing whether he would have developed as well had he stayed - but he was nowhere near hopeless when he was with us. His pace alone would have continued to trouble SPL defences.

I like Donaldson, but his record at Hibs wasnt great. He started really well scoring 5 goals in 3 games around the start of the season, then scored 1 in the remaining 15 games. It makes his stats look slightly better, but you cant really rely on a striker who scores all his goals in a couple of games and doesnt do much else.