PDA

View Full Version : Did luis suarez bite giorgio chiellini?

4 Front Teeth
24-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Totally bizarre that there is only one angle of video footage and that there aren't loads of people that caught it from different angles on their mobile phones. Still canny understand what goes through that blokes mind!

Hibercelona
24-06-2014, 09:05 PM
He did. The bite marks are clearly evident. Absolute nutter.

Scottie
24-06-2014, 09:10 PM
Totally bizarre that there is only one angle of video footage and that there aren't loads of people that caught it from different angles on their mobile phones. Still canny understand what goes through that blokes mind!
Bet Suarez is glad his teeth dosen't look like yours. :greengrin

Jonnyboy
24-06-2014, 09:10 PM
https://twitter.com/DouglasMcNeil/status/481541635281784832/photo/1

:greengrin

jonty
24-06-2014, 09:12 PM
FIFA should overturn the result and make it 1-0 to Italy - or kick Uruguay out the tournament.
Clearly the previous two punishments haven't worked.

weonlywon6-2
24-06-2014, 09:14 PM
He did. The bite marks are clearly evident. Absolute nutter.

Even his actions before and after dont look good

Tricla
24-06-2014, 09:16 PM

Those pics are not conclusive.

Jonnyboy
24-06-2014, 09:18 PM
Those pics are not conclusive.

TBH I was more concentrating on the headline :wink:

neil7908
24-06-2014, 09:19 PM
Can see the bite marks on the Italian defender - absolutely no question. He should be getting a 6 month ban now, great football player but his behaviour is a genuine disgrace. No other profession in the world would tolerate this kind of behaviour without serious repercussions. I find it laughable seeing Liverpool fans defending him previously and now his team mates in the face of all evidence. I'm no fan of the English press but his comments after the England game were laughable - does he expect to get applause for biting folk and diving and cheating constantly?

One Day Soon
24-06-2014, 09:22 PM
If anyone thinks he didn't bite him just pause for a moment. When he puts his head down to Chiellini's shoulder what do you imagine he is trying to do? Nuzzle him? Cuddle him? Wipe his nose on him?

Tricla
24-06-2014, 09:22 PM
TBH I was more concentrating on the headline :wink:

Ah! 😊

Eyrie
24-06-2014, 09:23 PM
Suarez has to be hammered given his previous offences.

However the cynic in me wonders if he is trying to engineer a move from Liverpool, because that club has to be concerned after they stood by him over Evra and Ivanovic.

4 Front Teeth
24-06-2014, 09:24 PM

Something doesn't feel quite right. If those photos are real why aren't they all over the news?

Jonnyboy
24-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Something doesn't feel quite right. If those photos are real why aren't they all over the news?

From BBC News

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28008605

H18sry
24-06-2014, 09:28 PM
From BBC News

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152476856654911&set=pcb.10152476859319911&type=1&theater

Scouse Hibee
24-06-2014, 09:30 PM
From BBC News

Conclusive! My opinion of Suarez has never faltered, despicable human being who should have been shown the door at Liverpool long ago.

3pm
24-06-2014, 09:31 PM
Bit him from 20 yards away.

Ross89
24-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Definite bite. What an animal - terrific player too.

Long ban beckons (and rightly so) - Bang goes Uruguay's chances of winning the World Cup.

4 Front Teeth
24-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Bit him from 20 yards away.

Very good!

4 Front Teeth
24-06-2014, 09:36 PM
I wonder if it will just be an international ban?

I spent ages looking for the photos and must have only just been put on bbc. You would think they would have been on there immediately. Suarez can't be too clever... holding his teeth in agony after. ... I couldn't figure out if he was elbowed in the teeth after the bite.

GreenLake
24-06-2014, 09:40 PM
Suarez probably thought Chielllini had a chip on his shoulder.

Ross89
24-06-2014, 09:42 PM

:tee hee:

Sir David Gray
24-06-2014, 09:48 PM
I say this with complete sincerity.

There is clearly something wrong with Suarez and I honestly believe he should be offered professional assistance to help him with this behaviour.

I also believe that for sake of others, he should be banned from football until he can demonstrate that he is no longer inclined to bite other players.

This could lead to those on the receiving end having all sorts of health problems and if he's not willing or able to change his behaviour then he should be taken out of the game.

This is a serious breach of discipline and given that this is the second time that he's been found to have bitten an opponent in little over a year, the authorities need to deal with this by handing out the most severe punishment available.

RedHibby
24-06-2014, 10:07 PM

"I honestly believe he should be offered professional assistance to help him with this behaviour".

He has already had proffesional help after he done it the first time.

heretoday
24-06-2014, 10:07 PM
He's a bit of an animal.

Ross89
24-06-2014, 10:10 PM
Suarez is an animal :-

"You know what you are
you know what you are
Luis Suarez
you know what you are"

Sir David Gray
24-06-2014, 10:10 PM
He has already had proffesional help after he done it the first time.

As I said, he should be banned from all professional football until he can prove that he is no longer liable to bite opponents.

LancsHibs
24-06-2014, 10:13 PM
There is no doubt that he bit him (again), a brilliant footballer but a complete prick of a man, hope he's punted from the World Cup and would like to see Liverpool show him the door also, I'm sure one of the Spanish clubs would still take a risk on him

cabbageandribs1875
24-06-2014, 10:14 PM
FIFA are discussing if he should only be allowed to carry on playing at the WC if he wears one of these

http://www.all-about-cane-corso-dog-breed.com/images/muzzles/Wire-basket-protective-dog-muzzle-for-attack-1-big.jpg

NAE NOOKIE
24-06-2014, 10:26 PM
A long ban coming for sure. Not for Uruguay though, hardly fair to punish them for one loony / troubled soul.

If he is going to do this I would insist that he is tested for HIV and hepatitis before every game. As far as I am aware HIV is the reason that players are made to leave the pitch with an injury which is bleeding.

Stax
24-06-2014, 10:27 PM

There is clearly something wrong with Suarez and I honestly believe he should be offered professional assistance to help him with this behaviour.

I also believe that for sake of others, he should be banned from football until he can demonstrate that he is no longer inclined to bite other players.

This could lead to those on the receiving end having all sorts of health problems and if he's not willing or able to change his behaviour then he should be taken out of the game.

This is a serious breach of discipline and given that this is the second time that he's been found to have bitten an opponent in little over a year, the authorities need to deal with this by handing out the most severe punishment available.
2nd time in little over a year but third time overall (did it when with Ajax iirc). I honestly think he was a player on the verge of greatness and ready to join the dizzy heights of messi & Ronaldo. Sadly I think he may still get another chance to do so..

Crazyhorse
24-06-2014, 10:36 PM

You have to admire Suarez's appetite and hunger for the game.

snooky
24-06-2014, 10:42 PM
You have to admire Suarez's appetite and hunger for the game.

I wonder if Suarez thought it would be a wee bit humerus? :wink:

Mikey09
24-06-2014, 10:43 PM
I am not a violent person. However..... If the big Italian had smashed that little weasels oversized gnashers down his throat I would have laughed until my head fell off.... A wonderful football player yet a cretin of a human being.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
24-06-2014, 10:47 PM
Love Liverpool and Love Suarez but what a fanny he really is.

GreenLake
24-06-2014, 10:49 PM

Chiellini wanted to give him mouthful after he gave him a mouthful.

Row H
24-06-2014, 10:51 PM
He's given FIFA food for thought over what sort of punishment to meat out to him I reckon.

snooky
24-06-2014, 10:53 PM
As I said, he should be banned from all professional football until he can prove that he is no longer liable to bite opponents.

Sine Die I recommend
The standards of respect have dropped dramatically in the game with all the cheating, diving & feigning injury but his biting has taken it to an all time low.
Another one that does my head in is this ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1SCK97sB1E&feature=kp

WestEndHibee
24-06-2014, 11:00 PM
I've been trying to think through what would ever draw a man to do this and my only explanation (other than a mental issue) is that he was looking for Chiellini's reaction to win Uruguay a penalty. He's shown before that he'll do anything to get his country through. It doesn't really explain the incident in the Dutch league but could also explain the one against Chelsea.

while 4 years ago I said that I would do the same if it were me playing for Scotland, I can't say the same in this case. It's just weird.

Cropley10
24-06-2014, 11:02 PM

He should simply be banned from playing football.

How many chances does he get?

Crazyhorse
24-06-2014, 11:08 PM

Once you get a taste for it....

Sir David Gray
24-06-2014, 11:08 PM
2nd time in little over a year but third time overall (did it when with Ajax iirc). I honestly think he was a player on the verge of greatness and ready to join the dizzy heights of messi & Ronaldo. Sadly I think he may still get another chance to do so..

That's true, I had forgotten about the incident at Ajax.

The guy has an obvious problem.

He is a fantastic goalscorer, one of the best goalscorers in world football right now but he's also a danger to opponents and that has to take precedence over everything else.

Dashing Bob S
24-06-2014, 11:19 PM
When somebody bites opponents three times in three different countries, this vile and cowardly practice is obviously his 'go-to' setting when he is agitated, discounting any external stresses he finds himself under. He is biting people and still on the football field, and carrying this constant threat. This is obviously unsettling and intimidating to opposing players and confers his team and him a cheats advantage.

He's obviously crazy and shouldn't be allowed on a football field. If he played for Stoke City then we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

leggeto
24-06-2014, 11:30 PM
That eejit needs muzzled

KWJ
24-06-2014, 11:41 PM
Miffed having backed him at 50/1 for TGS and Uruguay at 100/1! He's gone back out to 50's now so ban is coming according to the bookies.

Complete loon but I do have to say that Chiellini is pretty despicable too and I was hoping that he got his before the end of the game, wasn't expecting it like that mind. Glad Uruguay won but jeez.

Year ban?

(((Fergus)))
24-06-2014, 11:43 PM
I think he bit him, which is weird and that is the reason he will get hammered for this. The elbow by Song on the Croatian player or the studs-up challenge by Marchisio were examples of more run-of-the-mill violence and therefore a red card is all that will happen and those impressionable kids our pundits are always so concerned about will continue to kick and punch their way though their matches - but God help them if they consider biting anyone. Unless Suarez has rabies, the attack by Marchisio was far more dangerous to the health and career of the opposition player.

dmc1875
25-06-2014, 12:23 AM
It's such an odd one. He's such an amazing player, probably in the bracket just behind Messi and Ronaldo, he's that good. Yet he has moments of complete idiocy.

Everyone speaks highly of him off the field saying he is a family man and a gentleman, so what happens in those split seconds when he does something like that?

If I was fifa I would make an example of him by banning him and throwing Uruguay out of the world cup. Make him go from hero to zero. See how that makes him feel.

Greencore
25-06-2014, 02:48 AM
Really rate him as a footballer. But this is terrible. If he was a dog he would be put down.

Hannah_hfc
25-06-2014, 02:52 AM
Talk is he could receive up to a maximum ban of 2 years if found guilty. From the previous two occasions, evidently banning him from a few games is not stopping him biting.

Guy needs his anger issues addressed and dealt with before he sets foot on a football pitch again.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

GreenLake
25-06-2014, 03:48 AM
They should call Suarez 'El Muncho' or 'El Chompo' but I think the actual Spanish term would be "El Mordedor".

Or "Chewcharito"

Green Reaper
25-06-2014, 04:42 AM

Michael
25-06-2014, 04:56 AM
Biting is one of the worst things that he can do to a player because of all the bacteria. I would not feel comfortable playing against him in a football match. And this is the third incident of this type.

I'm sorry to the Uruguay and Liverpool fans, but the man shouldn't kick a ball for a long time - either years or forever. Clearly that 10 game ban meant nothing to him, so it is going to have to be a far more heavy punishment this time around.

What if a guy was caught biting passers by in the street on three separate occasions. What would happen to him?

Lewis77
25-06-2014, 05:03 AM
Conclusive! My opinion of Suarez has never faltered, despicable human being who should have been shown the door at Liverpool long ago.

Aye.

Lewis77
25-06-2014, 05:19 AM
Folks are failing to mention his lengthy ban for racism, the guy simply has form. Perhaps his fellow Uruguayan players should don t-shirts sporting a set of dentures in support?

EdinMike
25-06-2014, 05:54 AM
Apparently, Rat Face is now saying Chiellini "bumped into him"

Even though he clearly puts his head towards his shoulder. Not only is he a dirty cheat, he's just an outright lier.

Horrible Rat.

Stewboy
25-06-2014, 05:59 AM
Miffed having backed him at 50/1 for TGS and Uruguay at 100/1! He's gone back out to 50's now so ban is coming according to the bookies.

Complete loon but I do have to say that Chiellini is pretty despicable too and I was hoping that he got his before the end of the game, wasn't expecting it like that mind. Glad Uruguay won but jeez.

Year ban?

?????????

Seriously?

Hibrandenburg
25-06-2014, 06:11 AM
After watching an analysis on German TV I'm in no doubt he did bite Chiellini.

It's also quite obvious that it's a premeditated attempt at getting a reaction from the Italian and not just a heat of the moment reaction to something that happened during the run of play.

He should have the book thrown at him.

heretoday
25-06-2014, 06:21 AM
Chiellini probably insulted his sister or something. The Italians are good at that sort of thing.

ScottB
25-06-2014, 06:34 AM
Chiellini shows restraint, I'd have put my fist or elbow through the ****bags face for that.

2 year ban coming. I'd be tempted to throw Uruguay out too as frankly, punishing the man alone seems not to work, and his teammates were all quick to try and cover for him, trying to make Chiellini cover up the marks etc.

I assume FIFA can only ban him from their competitions, rather than a total blanket 2 year ban, mores the pity.

truehibernian
25-06-2014, 06:35 AM
Strangely enough I agree with Ian Wright a little - I feel sorry for Suarez as I genuinely think there is a mental imbalance there somewhere and the guy needs professional help !

This is a world class footballer sadly now known as a cheat and a player known for assaulting players. It's quite unbelievable. His football skills are now secondary.

It's not petulance, it's not the act of a spoilt lad - it's the actions of a guy who needs professional help !

GreenLake
25-06-2014, 06:37 AM
Strangely enough I agree with Ian Wright a little - I feel sorry for Suarez as I genuinely think there is a mental imbalance there somewhere and the guy needs professional help !

This is a world class footballer sadly now known as a cheat and a player known for assaulting players. It's quite unbelievable. His football skills are now secondary.

It's not petulance, it's not the act of a spoilt lad - it's the actions of a guy who needs professional help !

Removal of his teeth would be a good start.

ScottB
25-06-2014, 06:54 AM

He's had professional help, he's had the resources and the second / third chances that most people would never get.

I agree, he clearly has some sort of issue, but enough is enough. Doing it while the world was watching live will make it a lot harder to sweep under the rug than his past indiscretions.

gorgie greens
25-06-2014, 06:56 AM
can he not get one of those hanible lector face masks fitted ,it would stop him gobbing as well

stubru59
25-06-2014, 07:05 AM
can he not get one of those hanible lector face masks fitted ,it would stop him gobbing as well

Unfortunately it wouldn't stop him playing fitba and a lengthy playing ban might be the only thing he will understand.

hibs4thecup1988
25-06-2014, 07:12 AM
Unfortunately it wouldn't stop him playing fitba and a lengthy playing ban might be the only thing he will understand.

Nicky Campbell on Radio 5 Live this morning said: "He needs to be banned from playing football for a long time - or be made to play for Hibs"

:greengrin Made me laugh

greenpaper55
25-06-2014, 07:16 AM
It must be like getting bitten by Red Rum, those are some set of gnashers !.

The Hibee Harp
25-06-2014, 07:21 AM
If he is going to do this I would insist that he is tested for HIV and hepatitis before every game. As far as I am aware HIV is the reason that players are made to leave the pitch with an injury which is bleeding.

That's the first I've heard of that? Surely that's not right? I thought it was to ensure the game restarts quickly.

Aldo
25-06-2014, 07:21 AM
I say this with complete sincerity. There is clearly something wrong with Suarez and I honestly believe he should be offered professional assistance to help him with this behaviour. I also believe that for sake of others, he should be banned from football until he can demonstrate that he is no longer inclined to bite other players. This could lead to those on the receiving end having all sorts of health problems and if he's not willing or able to change his behaviour then he should be taken out of the game. This is a serious breach of discipline and given that this is the second time that he's been found to have bitten an opponent in little over a year, the authorities need to deal with this by handing out the most severe punishment available.

This.

He knew exactly what he was doing and then feigned that he had been hurt by Chellini. This was not an accidental clash but a disgraceful act from what I would describe as the lowest of the low.

He is a danger to other players and he should be banned with immediate affect and asked to account for his actions.

John_the_angus_hibby
25-06-2014, 08:01 AM
That's Liverpool probably not getting their 70m then. Can't see Barca going through with that deal if he is on a long ban?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronniekirk
25-06-2014, 08:08 AM
This.

He knew exactly what he was doing and then feigned that he had been hurt by Chellini. This was not an accidental clash but a disgraceful act from what I would describe as the lowest of the low.

He is a danger to other players and he should be banned with immediate affect and asked to account for his actions.

On this occasion he may well have bitten off more than he can chew .His actions afterwards clearly showed he knew what he had done and he needs to be taught a lesson as clearly he still thinks this is acceptable behaviour .but to do it on the worlds biggest stage beggars belief .
Let's hope FIFA donor bottle out of taking appropriate action.

Keith_M
25-06-2014, 08:08 AM
Nicky Campbell on Radio 5 Live this morning said: "He needs to be banned from playing football for a long time - or be made to play for Hibs"

I'm sorry but that's an inhumane punishment.

Just Alf
25-06-2014, 08:10 AM

Itsnoteasy
25-06-2014, 08:16 AM

Liverpool have brought the best out in him. He cannae take a blade onto the field so he just uses his gnashers.

Keith_M
25-06-2014, 08:30 AM
Has anybody considered that the guy was just really hungry?

Maybe he should be fed regularly during games.

easty
25-06-2014, 08:40 AM
Dunno if this has been posted already.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/24/football-fan-wins-500-after-betting-3-on-luis-suarez-biting-player-at-world-cup-4774558/

Turkish Green
25-06-2014, 09:09 AM
Removal of his teeth would be a good start.
Was my first thought. Never read about vampires giving anyone a nasty suck.

Spike Mandela
25-06-2014, 09:12 AM
Playing amateur pschiatrist here but I wonder if when he was a kid he got ridiculed for his pronounced overbite and this was his way of reacting to the bullies?

Lewis77
25-06-2014, 09:23 AM
Biting is his obvious go to when emotionally frustrated, we all have a 'go to'! Mine, for example, is to make love. Long sessions of ecstasy lasting anywhere between 30 to 40 seconds can really alleviate negative tension. I've also heard biting is good for that.

jacomo
25-06-2014, 10:15 AM

I'm sorry but that's an inhumane punishment.

Think its time for Hibs to take our responsibilities seriously. For the sake of global morals, and no other reason, I think we should take Suarez on loan for next season.

I know many fans will be unhappy at the prospect of having the Biter in our shirt, but sometimes we just have to think of the wider picture.

:wink:

jacomo
25-06-2014, 10:17 AM

You really think some guy in the stands would have better footage on his phone? I think the TV pictures are pretty clear cut.

As for Uruguay claiming the Italy player was just showing an old scar on his shoulder... :rolleyes:

4 Front Teeth
25-06-2014, 10:20 AM
I think he should bite the referee next time.

SkintHibby
25-06-2014, 10:52 AM
Chiellini probably insulted his sister or something. The Italians are good at that sort of thing.

Still no excuse for his disgraceful behaviour.

weonlywon6-2
25-06-2014, 10:55 AM

This.
Liverpool if they have any sense will sell him on because some team will take him,at a lower cost.
What may happen is a long ban and Liverpool supporting him through treatment,which is really a front cause hes hardly a drug addict that needs support,hes an erse that needs kicked out of football

RP1875
25-06-2014, 10:55 AM
Leigh Griffiths gets double the amount of stick and bad press coverage as Suarez does.

Can see Liverpool selling him and him going to Chelsea. They seem to attract they kind of players.

HappyAsHellas
25-06-2014, 11:01 AM
Leigh Griffiths gets double the amount of stick and bad press coverage as Suarez does.

Can see Liverpool selling him and him going to Chelsea. They seem to attract they kind of players.

Really? Do you think football fans in Japan, Uruguay, Ivory Coast and the world over were tut tutting about a little video in Scotland?

GreenLake
25-06-2014, 11:20 AM
Biting is his obvious go to when emotionally frustrated, we all have a 'go to'! Mine, for example, is to make love. Long sessions of ecstasy lasting anywhere between 30 to 40 seconds can really alleviate negative tension. I've also heard biting is good for that.

I think Chiellini would rather you bit him.:greengrin

Seveno
25-06-2014, 11:48 AM
I can't understand why anyone would feel sorry for him. If a thug in the street bit you, would you ask the judge for leniency so that he could get help ?

RP1875
25-06-2014, 11:54 AM
Really? Do you think football fans in Japan, Uruguay, Ivory Coast and the world over were tut tutting about a little video in Scotland?

Not just the video, he's in the papers for every opportunity getting banned left right and centre too.

Sergey
25-06-2014, 12:05 PM
I can't understand why anyone would feel sorry for him. If a thug in the street bit you, would you ask the judge for leniency so that he could get help ?

This is a strange one, as every time I bite someone at work in retaliation, I'm told that I don't really have a future as a vet.

Onion
25-06-2014, 12:11 PM

Cannot see the big issue with all of this. Smacks of an irate English press trying to deflect attention away from their own failings and heaping their angst onto a guy who was part responsible. Yes, it is weird. Yes it is unacceptable and needs to be dealt with but we also need a sense of perspective. No one died. The Italian guy won't get rabies, miss a game or even need treatment. Suarez needs help. He's a nutter but his "crime" simply does not warrant anything like the amount of attention it's getting. The world is out of whack !

silverhibee
25-06-2014, 12:23 PM
Not just the video, he's in the papers for every opportunity getting banned left right and centre too.

Why did he get banned left right and centre.?

mixumatosis
25-06-2014, 12:50 PM
You can teach a dog or a nursery age child not to bite. If you can't teach Luis Suarez not to, after he's been caught for it twice before, then he simply should not be allowed to take the field. His actions are indefensible and he should be banned for good.

GordonHFC
25-06-2014, 01:21 PM
You can teach a dog or a nursery age child not to bite. If you can't teach Luis Suarez not to, after he's been caught for it twice before, then he simply should not be allowed to take the field. His actions are indefensible and he should be banned for good.

:agree:

RP1875
25-06-2014, 01:22 PM
Why did he get banned left right and centre.?

Gesturing to supporters.

Then there's his private life in the papers all the time too.

HappyAsHellas
25-06-2014, 01:44 PM
Gesturing to supporters.

The Washington Post carries the Suarez story in it's sport pages today, and yet a couple of months ago failed to mention anything about Mr Griffiths. Perhaps you should contact them about these world shaking events unfolding in the Roseburn bar?

poolman
25-06-2014, 01:46 PM
It must be like getting bitten by Red Rum, those are some set of gnashers !.

He could eat an apple thru a letter box

BOB MARLEYS DUG
25-06-2014, 01:54 PM
:faf:

http://www.hibs.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12863&stc=1&d=1403704449

RP1875
25-06-2014, 01:57 PM
The Washington Post carries the Suarez story in it's sport pages today, and yet a couple of months ago failed to mention anything about Mr Griffiths. Perhaps you should contact them about these world shaking events unfolding in the Roseburn bar?

I didn't mention the roseburn bar. LG has been banned and is slated in the national papers for major petty things in comparison to Suarez.

Ricky Bobby
25-06-2014, 02:20 PM
Cannot see the big issue with all of this. Smacks of an irate English press trying to deflect attention away from their own failings and heaping their angst onto a guy who was part responsible. Yes, it is weird. Yes it is unacceptable and needs to be dealt with but we also need a sense of perspective. No one died. The Italian guy won't get rabies, miss a game or even need treatment. Suarez needs help. He's a nutter but his "crime" simply does not warrant anything like the amount of attention it's getting. The world is out of whack !

Completely agree, If he had not just banged in two against England there would not be anywhere near the hysteria over this. I half expected the English media to be demanding a replay in the papers this morning

Seveno
25-06-2014, 02:27 PM
Completely agree, If he had not just banged in two against England there would not be anywhere near the hysteria over this. I half expected the English media to be demanding a replay in the papers this morning

One of the top players in the world BITES another players in the World Cup Finals watched by hundreds of millions of people around the world on TV. What don't you understand ?

marti1875
25-06-2014, 02:41 PM
One of the top players in the world BITES another players in the World Cup Finals watched by hundreds of millions of people around the world on TV. What don't you understand ?

Exactly, he's making out it's just an English thing that's going on about this when it's anything but. It's worldwide news with it making the headlines all over not just English going on about it.

Ricky Bobby
25-06-2014, 02:41 PM

I don't agree with what he did and he should obviously retrospectively be punished, but i am more concerned with the constant blatant cheating going on. Rather than wetting myself over one guys petulant behaviour.

RamblingJack
25-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Gie the guy a break........he just fancied an Italian:greengrin

J-C
25-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Gesturing to supporters.

Having just recently joined this forum, you certainly have a pretty poor opinion of quite a few ex Hibs players and also some present ones, Claros, Griffiths, Handling etc are you actually a Hibs fan as I have my doubts.

I've never posted this before but there's always a first time eh.

LTYF

calder45a
25-06-2014, 03:22 PM

Its not the Uruguayans fault its obviously in their blood.
Never seen the film "Alive"
The Story of the Andes Survivors

25-06-2014, 03:26 PM
Absolute idiot - a world class football player but an absolute idiot of the highest order. Lets himself down time and time again.

Clearly lengthy bans don't work with him.

Aldo
25-06-2014, 03:27 PM
He should get a seasons long ban at the very least for his 3rd biting offence.

Should be banned immediately for remainder of WC IMHO.

He will never and has not changed.

Time for the governing bodies to stand up and be counted!

calder45a
25-06-2014, 03:32 PM
He should get a seasons long ban at the very least for his 3rd biting offence.

Should be banned immediately for remainder of WC IMHO.

He will never and has not changed.

Time for the governing bodies to stand up and be counted!

Like a 3rd bite and your out?

Aldo
25-06-2014, 03:33 PM
Like a 3rd bite and you out? ;-). Sounds bout right!!

Just seen it again and he's got hold of his mouth like he's the one that's been hit!!

Ricky Bobby
25-06-2014, 03:36 PM
He should simply be banned from playing football.

How many chances does he get?

When your worth 60million you get as many chances as you want. Sad but true.

25-06-2014, 03:46 PM

I hate to agree but I feel this is the case as well. Said it a while ago after his last biting incident. That Liverpool would have flung him out the door in a shot if he wasn't such a fantastic, key player. If it had been one of the more average players it would have been cheerio long time ago.

--------
25-06-2014, 04:09 PM

I agree that the English media have an agenda stirring things up here, but I have to say I consider Suarez' behaviour entirely unacceptable. Biting people - even when those people are opposing players in a football match - is well beyond the limits of toleration. I find it very difficult to understand why anyone would do such a thing.

I can recollect instances of front-row forwards in a rugby scrum biting an opponent's ear. This usually leads to the victim rearing up out of the front-row binding, grabbing the culprit firmly by the throat, and punching his lights out. The game then degenerates into a battle-royal until the officials restore order and various people end up in the sin-bin and the biter gets sent off and cited.

But not in the round-ball game. Suarez has done this three times. Each of the last twice, he's been punished with suspension. Each time he's been defended by people telling us that what he's done is no big deal really, and that he's a highly skilled player whose absence will diminish the game, and he's not really a bad guy, and he needs understanding and counselling to help him overcome whatever 'makes' him 'react' in this way.

So what was he reacting to this time? What exactly did Chiellini do to set him off? And what sort of provocation would Suarez' defenders consider justified him trying to take a chunk out of somebody's shoulder? It looked to me to be an entirely unprovoked assault.

Just because Materazzi would up Zidane, we can't just assume that Chiellini did the same to Suarez.

I suspect that Chiellini's own reading of the situation will prove to be the right one. Suarez will receive a token ban from international football; he'll be allowed to play for Liverpool (or whoever takes him off Liverpool's hands in the event of them deciding finally that this is a bite too far); and he'll be back playing for Uruguay early next year.

He's too valuable a commodity for FIFA to really throw the book at him.

And it's actually nothing to do with England at all. If anyone has the right to feel aggrieved, it's the Italians.

Ricky Bobby
25-06-2014, 04:21 PM
I agree that the English media have an agenda stirring things up here, but I have to say I consider Suarez' behaviour entirely unacceptable. Biting people - even when those people are opposing players in a football match - is well beyond the limits of toleration. I find it very difficult to understand why anyone would do such a thing.

I can recollect instances of front-row forwards in a rugby scrum biting an opponent's ear. This usually leads to the victim rearing up out of the front-row binding, grabbing the culprit firmly by the throat, and punching his lights out. The game then degenerates into a battle-royal until the officials restore order and various people end up in the sin-bin and the biter gets sent off and cited.

But not in the round-ball game. Suarez has done this three times. Each of the last twice, he's been punished with suspension. Each time he's been defended by people telling us that what he's done is no big deal really, and that he's a highly skilled player whose absence will diminish the game, and he's not really a bad guy, and he needs understanding and counselling to help him overcome whatever 'makes' him 'react' in this way.

So what was he reacting to this time? What exactly did Chiellini do to set him off? And what sort of provocation would Suarez' defenders consider justified him trying to take a chunk out of somebody's shoulder? It looked to me to be an entirely unprovoked assault.

Just because Materazzi would up Zidane, we can't just assume that Chiellini did the same to Suarez.

I suspect that Chiellini's own reading of the situation will prove to be the right one. Suarez will receive a token ban from international football; he'll be allowed to play for Liverpool (or whoever takes him off Liverpool's hands in the event of them deciding finally that this is a bite too far); and he'll be back playing for Uruguay early next year.

He's too valuable a commodity for FIFA to really throw the book at him.

And it's actually nothing to do with England at all. If anyone has the right to feel aggrieved, it's the Italians.

I agree with most of what your saying, the reason i make the point of English hysteria is that these are the same people who, minutes after the conclusion of their defeat to Uruguay were asking the question 'should we have done a job on Suarez to take him out of the game'.
If there are levels of acceptability in foul play, I find this idea of potential cheating worse than what Suarez has done.

Monopolyguy
25-06-2014, 04:35 PM
I've got no sypathy for Suarez. If this had been some random guy outside the stadium biting someone on the shoulder he would have been carted off by the police.

If it were up to me I'd lock him up for a few weeks and ban him completley. But because he's a high profile footballer ****s in the press like Ian Wright are all sypathetic and think he just needs 'help'. **** him, he's had 2 chances and still hasn't learned.

Kicking and punching in sport is one thing, but i absolutely hate biters and spitters.

heretoday
25-06-2014, 04:35 PM

No they don't. What nonsense!

snooky
25-06-2014, 05:19 PM
The ref got the call wrong. "Once bitten, twice shy"
Ergo, Chiellini should have got two throw-ins.

jonty
25-06-2014, 08:15 PM

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=514541795358024

whiskyhibby
25-06-2014, 08:30 PM
Yes!

Jonnyboy
25-06-2014, 08:55 PM

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=514541795358024

:faf: :top marks

Paisley Hibby
25-06-2014, 09:22 PM

Have to agree with this. I'd guess FIFA are desperately trying to find a face saving explanation that gets them (and Suarez) off the hook from a football point of view. The real punishment for Suarez will come from his existing and potential sponsors for whom he is probably now toast (although he might get paid to endorse steradent :greengrin)

HoboHarry
25-06-2014, 09:26 PM
He could eat an apple thru a letter box
Or corn on the cob through a chain link fence? :)

Cropley10
25-06-2014, 09:41 PM
The most annoying thing is that photo of Suarez with his eyes screwed shut holding his teeth. Obviously trying to pretend it was the other guys fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aldo
25-06-2014, 09:46 PM
The most annoying thing is that photo of Suarez with his eyes screwed shut holding his teeth. Obviously trying to pretend it was the other guys fault. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without a shadow of a doubt C10.

Should be immediately banned for remainder of WC and then a 2 year football playing ban for his 3rd biting offence.

RIP Bestie
26-06-2014, 03:07 AM
Without a shadow of a doubt C10.

Should be immediately banned for remainder of WC and then a 2 year football playing ban for his 3rd biting offence.
No, he should be jailed. It's assault and he has previous.

HoboHarry
26-06-2014, 03:52 AM
This whole episode is just odd to my mind. I agree it's just extraordinary that he would do this for a third time and he absolutely needs to be punished but it seems to me that the world press coverage has gone mental. Compare this episode to what - as an example - Roy Keane did to Alf Inge Haland. They don't even come close in terms of violence. Whilst Haland by his own admission had existing knee problems which contributed to him being pretty much finished after that tackle, the intent within Roy Keane was to inflict as much damage as he possibly could in that one tackle whereas Saurez is guilty, for the the most part, of an act of gross stupidity. My point is that an over the top tackle is likely to cause far more damage that a biting incident yet little is ever said about those.....

EdinMike
26-06-2014, 04:10 AM
At 3-2, Messi wrongly claimed for a corner. As most people do, Enyeama waved a finger at him and they both laughed.

Enyeama was having none of it... They shook and play carried on.

Messi class. Suarez rat.

Gmack7
26-06-2014, 04:30 AM
[QUOTE=Cropley10;4076701]The most annoying thing is that photo of Suarez with his eyes screwed shut holding his teeth. Obviously trying to pretend it was the other guys fault.

give the man a break FFS.it can be very sore when you chomp down on a bone:greengrin

Michael
26-06-2014, 05:41 AM
This whole episode is just odd to my mind. I agree it's just extraordinary that he would do this for a third time and he absolutely needs to be punished but it seems to me that the world press coverage has gone mental. Compare this episode to what - as an example - Roy Keane did to Alf Inge Haland. They don't even come close in terms of violence. Whilst Haland by his own admission had existing knee problems which contributed to him being pretty much finished after that tackle, the intent within Roy Keane was to inflict as much damage as he possibly could in that one tackle whereas Saurez is guilty, for the the most part, of an act of gross stupidity. My point is that an over the top tackle is likely to cause far more damage that a biting incident yet little is ever said about those.....

But tackles are part of the game. There's gonna be one or two bad ones (to some extent) every match. Where as there is absolutely no need to ever bite a player. I see what you're saying, but I think this is the answer.

heretoday
26-06-2014, 06:59 AM
The media loves controversy like this because it allows them to get all self-righteous and noble about "the future of our game". Suarez is worth millions to lots of people - most notably the media themselves - so give him a ban or a big fine and move on. Blimey, rugby players get bitten all the time!

bigwheel
26-06-2014, 07:07 AM
There's no doubt he has some issues, and deserves to be penalised for his actions...but the media and others vilification of this guy seems to be out of all proportion...this guy is not a "monster". i don't think the reaction would be as hateful if he was a british player...

Hibbyradge
26-06-2014, 08:39 AM
There's no doubt he has some issues, and deserves to be penalised for his actions...but the media and others vilification of this guy seems to be out of all proportion...this guy is not a "monster". i don't think the reaction would be as hateful if he was a british player...

http://a.pomf.se/phdzcy.gif

Betty Boop
26-06-2014, 08:41 AM
Inconclusive! ��

Hibbyradge
26-06-2014, 08:43 AM
The media loves controversy like this because it allows them to get all self-righteous and noble about "the future of our game". Suarez is worth millions to lots of people - most notably the media themselves - so give him a ban or a big fine and move on. Blimey, rugby players get bitten all the time!

The media loves controversy like this because it's unique in football and utterly cowardly.

Rugby players may get bitten "all the time" :rolleyes:, but if it does happen, it's in the heat of the moment.

Suarez's 3 victims were passive or not paying direct attention to him when he bit them.

--------
26-06-2014, 08:57 AM
I agree with most of what your saying, the reason i make the point of English hysteria is that these are the same people who, minutes after the conclusion of their defeat to Uruguay were asking the question 'should we have done a job on Suarez to take him out of the game'.
If there are levels of acceptability in foul play, I find this idea of potential cheating worse than what Suarez has done.

Oh yes - I fully appreciate that point. The hypocrisy of Chiles, Lineker and the rest takes your breath away. Do they ever listen to what they're saying? Shearer's line really gets me - "We're too honest" he says - over and over and over again.

Suarez clearly has issues which need sorting. Too many apologists make excuses for him - Chiellini must have insulted his mother, the Italians are just as bad. Too many others just abuse him - he could eat an apple through a letterbox, it's because he's so ugly, he's just a wee Uruguayan thug, yadda yadda yadda .... His club and his country need to sit down with him and his advisers to find an answer - I reckon he did really well last season with Liverpool. Most of the diving and cheating at Anfield last season came from his upstanding (not!) English pals Sturridge and Sterling it was Sturridge who dived blatantly to get Vidic sent off, IIRC.

The wee guy is one of the two or three most gifted footballers in the world but every two or three years the mist descends and he tries to sink his gnashers into someone's shoulder. I can't think of any other player who's done this. He has to stop, but holier-than-thou sermonising from butt heads like Adrian Chiles and Gary Lineker isn't a positive input, to my mind. A bit like Alf Ramsey calling Argentina "animals" in that prissy elocution-trained voice of his - after a game when Nobby Stiles went all over Wembley kicking anything and everything in light blue and white as soon as it moved. You should have seen the job the wee scrote did on Eusebio in the semi. Ramsey later replaced Stiles with Norman Hunter, so he obviously knew an animal when he saw one.

And this WC there have been far too many cases of refs looking the other way when certain players from certain teams have gone steaming into an opponent with no reference to the ball at all.

Ironic to think that the guys who'll have the last word on Suarez are Blatter and Platini. Now THERE's a pair of real vampires ... :rolleyes:

EdinMike
26-06-2014, 09:00 AM
Inconclusive... :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28023882

Top "Lawyers" too...

The games corrupt to fu..

RedHibby
26-06-2014, 09:03 AM
Inconclusive my arse. He is going to get away with it.

JimBHibees
26-06-2014, 09:05 AM
The media loves controversy like this because it's unique in football and utterly cowardly.

Rugby players may get bitten "all the time" :rolleyes:, but if it does happen, it's in the heat of the moment.

Suarez's 3 victims were passive or not paying direct attention to him when he bit them.

Suarez is obviously in the heat of the moment also. Listened to 5 live last night and a BBC Brazilian correspondent was indicating that in South America most people were baffled by it all and seen it as a red card offence nothing more. Is it any worse than an over the ball tackle meant to hurt?

Jim44
26-06-2014, 09:05 AM
I can't understand the attempts here to play down and minimise his actions. What he did was horrific and totally premeditated and in addition the attempts of the Uruguayans to actually deny the offence or at best imply the 'normality' of the offence puts them a bad light. Strachan in the DR this morning gives an interesting 'explanation' of the Uruguayan 'football psyche' but there should be no acceptance of the worst aspects of their approach to the game.

jacomo
26-06-2014, 09:10 AM

Footballers (certainly British footballers) self-identify as warriors, with some kind of noble code on the field of battle. Shearer pretty much admitted last night that a sly elbow to an opponent's face is fair game because if they are grabbing hold of you "what are you going to do?"

Similarly, stamping or studs up challenges are accepted as fair game if you can get away with them. Yet there is moral outrage about spitting.

As for Suarez, I think it's pretty clear cut and the guy's World Cup is over. He clearly has issues managing his emotions in a game, but that's for another day. Fifa are going to throw the book at him, and Uruguay's attempts to deny anything happened are laughable and self-defeating.

Lewis77
26-06-2014, 09:14 AM
I've thrown a few posts up taking the pish out of Saurez. Nevertheless, to take this issue seriously, I'd give the lad a six month ban from all football then move on. In that six months it would be up to him to sort his conduct out, not the Uruguay FA or Liverpool FC. He is a grown man for Christ's sake and folks should start treating him as such.

However, it is my suspicion FIFA will attempt to whitewash this affair as it doesn't suit them to do anything about it. Perhaps they will suspend a verdict until after the tournament? The whole affair is very gnawing.

JimBHibees
26-06-2014, 09:16 AM
Oh yes - I fully appreciate that point. The hypocrisy of Chiles, Lineker and the rest takes your breath away. Do they ever listen to what they're saying? Shearer's line really gets me - "We're too honest" he says - over and over and over again.

Suarez clearly has issues which need sorting. Too many apologists make excuses for him - Chiellini must have insulted his mother, the Italians are just as bad. Too many others just abuse him - he could eat an apple through a letterbox, it's because he's so ugly, he's just a wee Uruguayan thug, yadda yadda yadda .... His club and his country need to sit down with him and his advisers to find an answer - I reckon he did really well last season with Liverpool. Most of the diving and cheating at Anfield last season came from his upstanding (not!) English pals Sturridge and Sterling it was Sturridge who dived blatantly to get Vidic sent off, IIRC.

The wee guy is one of the two or three most gifted footballers in the world but every two or three years the mist descends and he tries to sink his gnashers into someone's shoulder. I can't think of any other player who's done this. He has to stop, but holier-than-thou sermonising from butt heads like Adrian Chiles and Gary Lineker isn't a positive input, to my mind. A bit like Alf Ramsey calling Argentina "animals" in that prissy elocution-trained voice of his - after a game when Nobby Stiles went all over Wembley kicking anything and everything in light blue and white as soon as it moved. You should have seen the job the wee scrote did on Eusebio in the semi. Ramsey later replaced Stiles with Norman Hunter, so he obviously knew an animal when he saw one.

And this WC there have been far too many cases of refs looking the other way when certain players from certain teams have gone steaming into an opponent with no reference to the ball at all.

Ironic to think that the guys who'll have the last word on Suarez are Blatter and Platini. Now THERE's a pair of real vampires ... :rolleyes:

Agree totally with that, Shearer we are too nice and dont cheat enough, really. Can remember Lineker getting England through to the semi final of the World cup in 90 with 2 blatant dives to dump out Cameroon. Now that was really cheating.

Lewis77
26-06-2014, 09:31 AM
It doesn't look like the Italian lad said anything to him and even if he did does it matter?

"Oh dear, did the nasty man say somfink naughty Luis ?"

Man up Saurez and stop reacting like a wee lassie who's had her pigtails pulled! I bet he nips.

--------
26-06-2014, 09:51 AM
It doesn't look like the Italian lad said anything to him and even if he did does it matter?

"Oh dear, did the nasty man say somfink naughty Luis ?"

Man up Saurez and stop reacting like a wee lassie who's had her pigtails pulled! I bet he nips.

"A wee lassie"? "I bet he nips"? :rolleyes:

Arch Stanton
26-06-2014, 09:57 AM

Totally agree that LS can't be cured of his biting.

Unless maybe he has rabies. :greengrin

Baader
26-06-2014, 10:40 AM
I can't understand the attempts here to play down and minimise his actions. What he did was horrific and totally premeditated and in addition the attempts of the Uruguayans to actually deny the offence or at best imply the 'normality' of the offence puts them a bad light. Strachan in the DR this morning gives an interesting 'explanation' of the Uruguayan 'football psyche' but there should be no acceptance of the worst aspects of their approach to the game.

The usual sympathetic apologists and conspirators trying to make out its the media blowing it up... Kicking ballboys, spitting, biting - all acceptable in their eyes as "nobody dies"... Do us a favour.

Do that in the street youll be lucky to escape jail. Biting is for animals and not acceptable behaviour on the football field.

Deansy
26-06-2014, 11:09 AM
Great player - shame he has the morals which would make him tailor-made for 'Castle Greyskull (though at 27 he's 10-15 years away from actually playing for them !). Imho, no action will be taken against Suarez. The tournament's in S.America, Uruguay are a S.American team - a large % of Sepp Blatter's 'supporters' (brown-envelope recipients) are S.American. Blatter & Co won't lose a minute's sleep over this !!.

GreenLake
26-06-2014, 11:29 AM
If we are going to force players to change shirts with blood on them for sanitary reasons, then biting must surely be intolerable as it would be a potential saliva/blood connection between biter and bitten.

southsider
26-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Do not have any inside info but i can see the following. Suarez gets 20 game International only ban. Uruguay appeal this and that is heard AFTER the world cup. Ban increased to 30 games. Suarez then retires from International Football. Sign's to play club football for Barcelona. Thoughts ????

easty
26-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Blimey, rugby players get bitten all the time!

Naw. They dinnae.

easty
26-06-2014, 12:09 PM
i don't think the reaction would be as hateful if he was a british player...

Why not?

Gordy M
26-06-2014, 01:56 PM
Inconclusive my arse. He is going to get away with it.
You were saying........9 matches and four month ban.

bigwheel
26-06-2014, 01:59 PM
Why not?

I think there is a "dirty foreigner" tone to the Suarez coverage in the British media ...culturally biting is seen as a deeply horrible (unbritish ?) aggressive act ...he clearly did it , I'm not debating that , but there seems to be a disproportionate outrage . He didn't particularly injure the guy ...a minor wound at most , He should get a notable ban and fine - but I don't see anywhere near the same reaction had it been a British player ... When john Hartson kicked Berkovic in the head ( a more aggressive and cowardly act I would argue ) there was nowhere near the morale outrage.

Frazerbob
26-06-2014, 01:59 PM
9 match international ban PLUS 4 month ban from all football, including total stadium ban PLUS 100000 Swiss franc fine.

bigwheel
26-06-2014, 02:05 PM
The usual sympathetic apologists and conspirators trying to make out its the media blowing it up... Kicking ballboys, spitting, biting - all acceptable in their eyes as "nobody dies"... Do us a favour.

Do that in the street youll be lucky to escape jail. Biting is for animals and not acceptable behaviour on the football field.

A minor altercation and a minor bite would lead to jail...come on, give me a break

Biting is socially unacceptable - it's up there with spitting...and clearly Suarez has previous too ...but there an excessive reaction to this minor altercation on the pitch

I'm neither a Suarez fan or "apologist" - but he's been characterised as a monster and is being vilified - seems OTT to me

EdinMike
26-06-2014, 02:06 PM
And when does said ban start ?! Now ?!

So he'll be back chomping buy Novemberish ?! Lienent..

Hibbyradge
26-06-2014, 02:07 PM
When john Hartson kicked Berkovic in the head ( a more aggressive and cowardly act I would argue ) there was nowhere near the morale outrage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7TdTcwZLTM

I don't think that's a valid comparison, but in any case, I don't think Hartson's kick was anywhere near as serious as what Suarez did.

For a start, it was during training, so he wasn't trying to cheat or gain an advantage.

He was also provoked by a punch.

Kicking is part and parcel of football. Biting isn't.

Hibbyradge
26-06-2014, 02:15 PM
A minor altercation and a minor bite would lead to jail...come on, give me a break

Biting is socially unacceptable - it's up there with spitting...and clearly Suarez has previous too ...but there an excessive reaction to this minor altercation on the pitch

I'm neither a Suarez fan or "apologist" - but he's been characterised as a monster and is being vilified - seems OTT to me

A minor altercation? Seriously? A grown man and elite sportsman biting an opponent is a minor altercation?

It's utterly outrageous.

As to him being vilified, how many other players regularly bite opponents?

bigwheel
26-06-2014, 02:16 PM

I don't think that's a valid comparison, but in any case, I don't think Hartson's kick was anywhere near as serious as what Suarez did.

For a start, it was during training, so he wasn't trying to cheat or gain an advantage.

Are you saying that act is less aggressive that the bite act of Suarez ? You're joking right - I know which I would choose. ...I think your point is at the heart of the matter ..biting is socially unacceptable ..so it's being treated with outrage . I still think the reaction is OTT...smacks of media choosing to go big on this already vilified character ..has a nasty taste to it for me.

EdinMike
26-06-2014, 02:21 PM
Right ! *cracks neck and knuckles*

Gonna go randomly bite someone in the meadows ! What will I get a 4 month ban from ?!

bigwheel
26-06-2014, 02:22 PM
Right ! *cracks neck and knuckles*

Gonna go randomly bite someone in the meadows ! What will I get a 4 month ban from ?!

The pitch and putt !

bigwheel
26-06-2014, 02:24 PM
A minor altercation? Seriously? A grown man and elite sportsman biting an opponent is a minor altercation?

It's utterly outrageous.

He didn't even bite him properly - and with those gnashers too ! He should be ashamed. Poor performance !

Geo_1875
26-06-2014, 02:25 PM
Are you saying that act is less aggressive that the bite act of Suarez ? You're joking right - I know which I would choose. ...I think your point is at the hear of the matter ..biting is socially unacceptable ..so it's being treated with outrage . I still think the reaction is OTT...smacks of media choosing to go big on this already vilified character ..has a nasty taste to it for me.

There is a reason that he is "already vilified". It's his 3rd reported offence FFS. Even Mike Tyson only bit one guys ear off. If he had bitten 3 people in the street he'd have been sectioned by now. A very lenient sentence in my view. He should also be made to undergo therapy before he's allowed near a football pitch again. And I'd think the same regardless of his nationality.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
26-06-2014, 02:25 PM
One Luiz Suarez!!!!!

bigwheel
26-06-2014, 02:29 PM
There is a reason that he is "already vilified". It's his 3rd reported offence FFS. Even Mike Tyson only bit one guys ear off. If he had bitten 3 people in the street he'd have been sectioned by now. A very lenient sentence in my view. He should also be made to undergo therapy before he's allowed near a football pitch again. And I'd think the same regardless of his nationality.

Sentence seems about right to me...your 3 people in the street point made me laugh

Hibbyradge
26-06-2014, 02:37 PM
Are you saying that act is less aggressive that the bite act of Suarez ? You're joking right - I know which I would choose. ...I think your point is at the hear of the matter ..biting is socially unacceptable ..so it's being treated with outrage . I still think the reaction is OTT...smacks of media choosing to go big on this already vilified character ..has a nasty taste to it for me.

Are you saying that act is less aggressive that the bite act of Suarez ?

Eh, no. I never said anything of the kind.

Both are acts of aggression.

One was provoked, one was done while the victim wasn't looking.

And I can't agree that a training ground incident is ever going to be as serious as one which takes place during a real game, never mind a vital WC game being shown live in front of billions of people.

.I think your point is at the hear of the matter ..biting is socially unacceptable ..so it's being treated with outrage .

Indeed. Biting is socially unacceptable, hence the outrage. If it was socially acceptable, there would be criticism, but not the incredulity and outrage.

Zidane was slated for his headbutt in the World Cup in 2006, but the outrage was absent. Partly because he was sent off, partly because it's more socially acceptable than biting, and because he hadn't done the same thing twice before.

I still think the reaction is OTT...smacks of media choosing to go big on this already vilified character ..has a nasty taste to it for me.

Suarez is already vilified because of his own behaviour.

The press were getting all goey over Suarez after his Player of the Year Season (chosen, as you know, in part by the media) and his half fit performance in the WC so far. They were waxing lyrical about him being at the very top of world football, proud that he played for an EPL club.

Then he decided to bite an opponent. For the third time (that we know of). He deserves all the criticism he's getting.

GreenLake
26-06-2014, 02:45 PM
Can you imagine what Suarez would have done to Vinnie Jone's back if subjected to the reverse baw clench like Gazza?

Keith_M
26-06-2014, 02:50 PM
Can you imagine what Suarez would have done to Vinnie Jone's back if subjected to the reverse baw clench like Gazza?

...or maybe Gazza should think himself lucky that was Vinnie Jones' hand :wink:

GreenLake
26-06-2014, 02:52 PM
...or maybe Gazza should think himself lucky that was Vinnie Jones' hand :wink:

Aritch
26-06-2014, 02:55 PM
I feel people underestimate the damage a human bite can do if the skin is broken. Obviously that never happened here, but with teeth like Saurez's it's always a risk.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/218901-overview

brian6-2
26-06-2014, 02:57 PM

are you being serious?

Lewis77
26-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Restored a wee bit of faith back in FIFA. I would of gone 6 month ban, but at least they have punished him. I was half expecting them to do nothing.

Spike Mandela
26-06-2014, 03:03 PM
Should surgically remove his teeth.:cb

bigwheel
26-06-2014, 03:03 PM
Eh, no. I never said anything of the kind.

Both are acts of aggression.

One was provoked, one was done while the victim wasn't looking.

Hartson's act was much worse. Could have potentially killed the guy. Anyway, my main point was about the press reaction seemed a bit OTT me, and they didn't react anywhere near as much to other incidents (such as Hartson's) ...Suarez deserves his significant ban - I think FIFA have handled this one well.

RP1875
26-06-2014, 03:14 PM
Well played Fifa.

Baader
26-06-2014, 03:43 PM

Minor altercation? :faf: 3rd time!
You should be doing PR for Uruguay's FA.

EdinMike
26-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Restored a wee bit of faith back in FIFA. I would of gone 6 month ban, but at least they have punished him. I was half expecting them to do nothing.

They HAVE practically done nothing.

Barred him from the rest of the WC. They weren't going to win it. And maybe 7 or 8 games of next season.

Woweewow !

Correction: 10-11... Big woop...

4 Front Teeth
26-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Well it looks like, according to bbc, Barca still going to pay 80 mill for him and pay him god knows how mutch. I might bite someone at work tomorrow and see if I can get myself a wee pay rise.

Dashing Bob S
26-06-2014, 07:12 PM
I think there is a "dirty foreigner" tone to the Suarez coverage in the British media ...culturally biting is seen as a deeply horrible (unbritish ?) aggressive act ...he clearly did it , I'm not debating that , but there seems to be a disproportionate outrage . He didn't particularly injure the guy ...a minor wound at most , He should get a notable ban and fine - but I don't see anywhere near the same reaction had it been a British player ... When john Hartson kicked Berkovic in the head ( a more aggressive and cowardly act I would argue ) there was nowhere near the morale outrage.

I have to disagree. I agree that there are probably worse injuries that can be inflicted in the course of a game than biting an opponent, (such as going over the ball) but these generally happen in plain sight of officialdom.

It's far more important that sneaky, nasty practice like biting is utterly stamped out as it has greater potential to occur in off-the-ball clandestine situations. At a set piece in the box, how will it psychologically affect a player if the opposing forward/defender is, as in the case of Suarez, a known biter?

Once is terrible, twice casts massive concern about his temperamental suitability for football. Three times is way, way too many to indulge anybody.

Phil D. Rolls
28-06-2014, 09:07 AM

It's utterly outrageous.

Its pretty much part of the game in rugby, and some of the tackles in Aussie rules are nothing more than assaults in my book.

kirk1875
28-06-2014, 10:23 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/players/luis-suarez/10929945/Luis-Suarez-case-is-more-proof-that-football-has-no-morals-claims-Gordon-Strachan.html

blackpoolhibs
28-06-2014, 10:39 AM
Luis Suarez has been in touch with Hibs fans, asking them how they coped with no football for 4 months? :wink:

28-06-2014, 11:03 AM
Well it looks like, according to bbc, Barca still going to pay 80 mill for him and pay him god knows how mutch. I might bite someone at work tomorrow and see if I can get myself a wee pay rise.

Thats just the problem. If I went into work on monday morning and bit one of my colleagues i'd be out the door instantly and would probably find it hard to get new employment with that on my record but because he's a football player he will (after his ban is served) carry on doing what he loves and getting paid mega mega bucks for the privilege!

28-06-2014, 11:03 AM
Luis Suarez has been in touch with Hibs fans, asking them how they coped with no football for 4 months? :wink:

basehibby
28-06-2014, 11:04 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/players/luis-suarez/10929945/Luis-Suarez-case-is-more-proof-that-football-has-no-morals-claims-Gordon-Strachan.html

Well said Strachan - Suarez has been deservedly banned and sent home in shame. Also, Liverpool and Uruguay fans do appear like blinkered idiots and their associations irredeemably cynical for trying to defend him, but we at Hibs for example, are in no position to criticise. Over the last several seasons we have on several occasions sought to collectively sweep under the carpet disgraceful and/or idiotic behaviour perpetrated by favourite players such as GOC, Deeks and Leigh Griffiths.
Of course none of the stuff carried out by these "one of our own" heroes has been on the same scale of disgusting blatant idiocy as Suarez's moment of shameful madness at the WC, but our reaction as fans has generally been to rally round because it suits us. We don't want to lose out on the delights of watching all too rare talents express themselves on the pitch for our team and are willing to stoop to otherwise unchartered amoral depths to forgive their failings.

Phil D. Rolls
29-06-2014, 08:46 AM
Thats just the problem. If I went into work on monday morning and bit one of my colleagues i'd be out the door instantly and would probably find it hard to get new employment with that on my record but because he's a football player he will (after his ban is served) carry on doing what he loves and getting paid mega mega bucks for the privilege!

Yes, but you are an ordinary person, of little interest to most people. He is a professional athlete, and his job is to be interesting.

Does anybody know of a recorded case of someone being sent to jail for biting a man in the shoulder?

Lewis77
29-06-2014, 09:38 AM
Well said Strachan - Suarez has been deservedly banned and sent home in shame. Also, Liverpool and Uruguay fans do appear like blinkered idiots and their associations irredeemably cynical for trying to defend him, but we at Hibs for example, are in no position to criticise. Over the last several seasons we have on several occasions sought to collectively sweep under the carpet disgraceful and/or idiotic behaviour perpetrated by favourite players such as GOC, Deeks and Leigh Griffiths.
Of course none of the stuff carried out by these "one of our own" heroes has been on the same scale of disgusting blatant idiocy as Suarez's moment of shameful madness at the WC, but our reaction as fans has generally been to rally round because it suits us. We don't want to lose out on the delights of watching all too rare talents express themselves on the pitch for our team and are willing to stoop to otherwise unchartered amoral depths to forgive their failings.

To be fair I don't think all Liverpool fans are defending him. My impression is far less are defending him on this occasion as they did previous. Nevertheless, I concede that there are still Liverpool fans who are attempting to shield Mr.Saurez from criticism, but there will always be folks who are blinkered when it comes to such matters as you well point out in relation to our own club and it's supporters.

Fortunately this time FIFA has acted relative to the crime. There is no anti-Uruguay or anti-Liverpool conspiracy going on. The lad has form and he has been disciplined on a sliding scale of appropriate punishment.

He has done a lot of damage to the reputation of Liverpool FC. The racial incident was reported across the world and most importantly in the States where it wasn't reported favourably. We know the Owner wasn't happy and it didn't help Kenny come the end of that season.

If I was owner of Liverpool FC I'd sell him for as much as possible (the sum being spoken of is ridiculas) and buy 2/3 world class players with the cash.

At the moment Liverpool FC is coming across as a slave to Saurez's flaws. Liverpool can not afford to be seen in such a fashion. They need to live up to the 'no man is bigger than the club' mantra.

Scouse Hibee
29-06-2014, 09:51 AM
To be fair I don't think all Liverpool fans are defending him. My impression is far less are defending him on this occasion as they did previous. Nevertheless, I concede that there are still Liverpool fans who are attempting to shield Mr.Saurez from criticism, but there will always be folks who are blinkered when it comes to such matters as you well point out in relation to our own club and it's supporters.

Fortunately this time FIFA has acted relative to the crime. There is no anti-Uruguay or anti-Liverpool conspiracy going on. The lad has form and he has been disciplined on a sliding scale of appropriate punishment.

He has done a lot of damage to the reputation of Liverpool FC. The racial incident was reported across the world and most importantly in the States where it wasn't reported favourably. We know the Owner wasn't happy and it didn't help Kenny come the end of that season.

If I was owner of Liverpool FC I'd sell him for as much as possible (the sum being spoken of is ridiculas) and buy 2/3 world class players with the cash.

At the moment Liverpool FC is coming across as a slave to Saurez's flaws. Liverpool can not afford to be seen in such a fashion. They need to live up to the 'no man is bigger than the club' mantra.

Sadly that mantra is no longer true, Liverpool completely smashed that theory with the way they dealt with Suarez last time.

ScottB
29-06-2014, 10:15 AM
The key thing with him is, I don't think you can even ask the question 'will he do it again' it's almost certainly 'when will he do it again.'

Spending tens of millions on a player who could easily spend months / years out banned is madness. Can't quite figure out the motivation for doing so, even with his unquestioned talent. Plenty other top quality strikers without the character flaws.

29-06-2014, 10:20 AM
Yes, but you are an ordinary person, of little interest to most people. He is a professional athlete, and his job is to be interesting.

Does anybody know of a recorded case of someone being sent to jail for biting a man in the shoulder?

I'm not saying he should be sent to jail. My point was that he will serve a few months on the sidelines (still being paid his ridiculous amounts of money) then it will be back to normal, he will be back to playing the game he loves, earning mega bucks etc and that will be that. Whereas "ordinary" people would most likely loose their job etc. Thats just the problem, these celebritites perhaps behave badly because they know it will have far lesser consequences due to their status.

Phil D. Rolls
29-06-2014, 11:23 AM
I'm not saying he should be sent to jail. My point was that he will serve a few months on the sidelines (still being paid his ridiculous amounts of money) then it will be back to normal, he will be back to playing the game he loves, earning mega bucks etc and that will be that. Whereas "ordinary" people would most likely loose their job etc. Thats just the problem, these celebritites perhaps behave badly because they know it will have far lesser consequences due to their status.

Hear what you're saying, but the whole thing about celebrity is that they are different from other people. So, I guess the rules are different.

At the end of the day, if ordinary people want to do something about celebrities they just have to stop paying attention to them. For me, having half the planet comment in how you do your job; having every numpty that's ever seen a football game, have the brass neck to comment on your mental health; having to deal with people saying that they "hope your kids get cancer" - all of these and more mean that the players are entitled to a wee bit of extra cash.

They don't live ordinary lives, so ordinary rules shouldn't apply.

Betty Boop
29-06-2014, 12:43 PM
Hear what you're saying, but the whole thing about celebrity is that they are different from other people. So, I guess the rules are different.

At the end of the day, if ordinary people want to do something about celebrities they just have to stop paying attention to them. For me, having half the planet comment in how you do your job; having every numpty that's ever seen a football game, have the brass neck to comment on your mental health; having to deal with people saying that they "hope your kids get cancer" - all of these and more mean that the players are entitled to a wee bit of extra cash.

Nailed it FR

Hibercelona
29-06-2014, 01:48 PM

A wee bit of extra cash? :hilarious

There's people out there that go through similar levels of abuse who don't get that "wee bit of extra cash". But thats ok, because they're just mere mortals like the majority of us.

Most football players that get a high level of abuse invite it onto themselves by doing incredibly stupid things, just like Suarez.

Players that just get on with the job and don't invite negative attention on to themselves won't get anywhere near the same level of abuse.

Hibiza
29-06-2014, 01:59 PM
best headline yet " FIFA fang Saurez to rights".

Phil D. Rolls
29-06-2014, 03:41 PM
A wee bit of extra cash? :hilarious

There's people out there that go through similar levels of abuse who don't get that "wee bit of extra cash". But thats ok, because they're just mere mortals like the majority of us.

Most football players that get a high level of abuse invite it onto themselves by doing incredibly stupid things, just like Suarez.

Players that just get on with the job and don't invite negative attention on to themselves won't get anywhere near the same level of abuse.

If the rest of us are jealous of how much cash they get, then simply apply to do their job.

God, you are boring.

blackpoolhibs
29-06-2014, 04:21 PM
The key thing with him is, I don't think you can even ask the question 'will he do it again' it's almost certainly 'when will he do it again.'

Spending tens of millions on a player who could easily spend months / years out banned is madness. Can't quite figure out the motivation for doing so, even with his unquestioned talent. Plenty other top quality strikers without the character flaws.

Exactly, and its only a matter of time before he kills someone doing it. :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
29-06-2014, 05:13 PM
Exactly, and its only a matter of time before he kills someone doing it. :greengrin

Jim44
29-06-2014, 10:27 PM
Suarez is still protesting his innocence. He should be banned for two matches for every time he talks to the media about the incident.

lapsedhibee
29-06-2014, 11:00 PM
Suarez is still protesting his innocence. He should be banned for two matches for every time he talks to the media about the incident.

He must be fairly close to being sectioned, shirley, even though he hasn't killed anyone yet?

Baader
29-06-2014, 11:17 PM

All due respect but I find your arguments are all over the place FR. Comparing McGiven to your own work experience in a previous thread, then stating that it's different for 'celebrity' footballers.

At what point do you become a 'celebrity' as a footballer? Premier League? Championship? International? When shouldn't 'ordinary rules' apply?

And is that just for footballers or does it extend to actors, pop stars, and presenters like Adrian Chiles who are in the public eye and get a fair bit of abuse?

Just curious to hear why anyone should be treated differently to anyone else...