PDA

View Full Version : Danny Handling

cloudy
24-06-2014, 05:03 PM
Really think this is a big season for this lad and feel giving the chance to play as striker under stubbs he can do a good job for us in this division

lord bunberry
24-06-2014, 05:06 PM
I thought he was out of contract

Waxy
24-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Really think this is a big season for this lad and feel giving the chance to play as striker under stubbs he can do a good job for us in this divisionHe couldn't break into the worst Hibs team in history last season.

frazeHFC
24-06-2014, 05:07 PM

He's in the pics from yesterday's first session.

Franck Stanton
24-06-2014, 05:07 PM
Really think this is a big season for this lad and feel giving the chance to play as striker under stubbs he can do a good job for us in this division

Hope you are right mate as, so far, he hasn't show me anything to suggest he has what it takes. Think he is too "slight" for this division.

lord bunberry
24-06-2014, 05:09 PM
He's in the pics from yesterday's first session.

So was Ross Caldwell , I thought he was out of contract as well

hibs4thecup1988
24-06-2014, 05:10 PM

1 year left

lord bunberry
24-06-2014, 05:11 PM
1 year left

Thanks

bigwheel
24-06-2014, 05:12 PM

I hope you are right...i have to admit i've not seen anything from him which would make me think he could be a key player for us...

bingo70
24-06-2014, 05:12 PM
I think he's been utter gash whenever I've seen him but we're at a lower level now so might be his chance to build some confidence and make it with us. Wouldn't like to be relying on him though.

Thecat23
24-06-2014, 05:15 PM
I think he's been utter gash whenever I've seen him but we're at a lower level now so might be his chance to build some confidence and make it with us. Wouldn't like to be relying on him though.

This.

Del Boy
24-06-2014, 05:16 PM
Really don't think he's good enough even at championship level.

edwards
24-06-2014, 05:17 PM

Really thought Handling and Haynes looked our best pairing when we beat Ross County 2-1 at ER, but for some unknown reason Butcher decided to banish both after that game and collins came back :confused:.
I feel with a bit of persistance he may be able to play wide right mid.

Pray4Marc
24-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Can't understand people slating Danny Handling. He has been playing in a horrendous Hibs team that has only been capable of utilising hoofball tactics. When he has been in possession of the ball he has looked composed, looks for a pass, very promising player for us. He certainly strengthened up since Christmas as well.

Pretty Boy
24-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Needs to get his attitude and lifestyle sorted out sharpish if he's to make an impact at Hibs.

Hibernia Na Eir
24-06-2014, 05:21 PM
He couldn't break into the worst Hibs team in history last season.

Fair point!

Greenworld
24-06-2014, 05:24 PM
Needs to get his attitude and lifestyle sorted out sharpish if he's to make an impact at Hibs.
care to elaborate

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

bingo70
24-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Can't understand people slating Danny Handling. He has been playing in a horrendous Hibs team that has only been capable of utilising hoofball tactics. When he has been in possession of the ball he has looked composed, looks for a pass, very promising player for us. He certainly strengthened up since Christmas as well.

Bad teams need good players to stand out, he never did that.

All he ever did was control the ball and pass it back 10 yards, never looked any sort of a threat.

As you say though maybe that's because of how we played.

Billychaotic182
24-06-2014, 05:32 PM
care to elaborate

Don't know Danny but I don't think he comes across any different to other young lads. Always seems like a nice guy on twitter unless he is being trolled. Caldwell is the one who seems to have a poor attitude

TheFamous1875
24-06-2014, 05:33 PM
He's got a chance to prove himself, but again, he needs the right type of football being played and the right role models around him like all young players do.

There was a threat comparing the developments of both Sterling and Harris a few weeks ago. Sterling is playing alongside Suarez, Gerrard, Sturridge - Alex Harris and Co have been playing alongside Rowan Vine, Ryan McGivern, Tim Clancy and a larger smattering of tubes in their careers so far.

I hope a big part of the development of youngsters is getting in experienced players of good quality who look after themselves, work hard in training and can pass on their wisdom and show them how to have a long career in football. A lot of our young players seem more preoccupied on getting up to George St than getting up to the Premiership.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BVB Hibs
24-06-2014, 05:33 PM
I feel Handling has a place in the side for next season. Certainly don't understand all the abuse he gets on here. He has probably the best touch of any hibs player we have at the moment, and he seems to have a good understanding with Jason Cummings. Has good vision as well, gave a great pass in the Ross County game if I remember correctly.

Let's not forget he was often played out of position, and whilst he didn't shine he never looked out of his depth at SPL level. I think he'll do a good job for us this season. This talk of too slight is nonsense too. Apparently everybody on here want skillful players capable of playing a quick game on the deck, but when we have a young lad capable of doing that he's slated as not being big enough.

All the young lads are worthy of another chance this year. Especially Harris, who has shown sparks of brilliance and then came back bereft of confidence after injury, and Handling, who never had a proper run in the side in his proper position. You never know what they might be capable of when playing with a bit of confidence. If anything, Stubbs will definitely know how to get the best out of a group of youngsters.

Greenworld
24-06-2014, 05:36 PM
He's got a chance to prove himself, but again, he needs the right type of football being played and the right role models around him like all young players do.

There was a threat comparing the developments of both Sterling and Harris a few weeks ago. Sterling is playing alongside Suarez, Gerrard, Sturridge - Alex Harris and Co have been playing alongside Rowan Vine, Ryan McGivern, Tim Clancy and a larger smattering of tubes in their careers so far.

I hope a big part of the development of youngsters is getting in experienced players of good quality who look after themselves, work hard in training and can pass on their wisdom and show them how to have a long career in football. A lot of our young players seem more preoccupied on getting up to George St than getting up to the Premiership.

good post agree

Unseen work
24-06-2014, 05:40 PM

Only one that needs to sort your attitude is you posting rubbish like this about our younger players. Nothing wrong with his lifestyle and deffinetley not his attitude

scoopyboy
24-06-2014, 05:49 PM
Only one that needs to sort your attitude is you posting rubbish like this about our younger players. Nothing wrong with his lifestyle and deffinetley not his attitude

Know him well do you?

Scouse Hibee
24-06-2014, 05:52 PM
My own judgement is that he will struggle to make an impact going by last season, however go on Danny prove me wrong and light up Easter Road.

The_Exile
24-06-2014, 05:57 PM
Would love for Danny to come in and become a smashing player, personally I see him scraping about the Juniors in a couple of years.

The problem a lot of laddies have when they break through into a top domestic team is that they think they've made it. Hibs should be a stepping stone for these laddies, with the greatest respect to teams like us, who wants to be challenging for Scottish honours for the rest of their career? Surely your goal should be moving abroad to a top league and fighting your way into a properly elite team? Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga, even the Premiership? To reach the Hibs first team and then stop progressing, it gets on my chebs, I mean, what's the point in settling for that?

easty
24-06-2014, 05:59 PM
Would love for Danny to come in and become a smashing player, personally I see him scraping about the Juniors in a couple of years.

The problem a lot of laddies have when they break through into a top domestic team is that they think they've made it. Hibs should be a stepping stone for these laddies, with the greatest respect to teams like us, who wants to be challenging for Scottish honours for the rest of their career? Surely your goal should be moving abroad to a top league and fighting your way into a properly elite team? Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga, even the Premiership? To reach the Hibs first team and then stop progressing, it gets on my chebs, I mean, what's the point in settling for that?

That's how I've seen it as well. They need to set their sights higher than Hibs.

Smartie
24-06-2014, 06:00 PM
I remember us having a sequence of games under Fenlon at the start of last season where we were absolutely pitiful and barely created a chance.

He got into the team for a few weeks and I thought he did stand out. He seemed to be the only player that could play with his back to goal (in midfield), take the ball to feet, turn and go. He was the only one that could punctuate the sideways pass/hoof cycle.

For that I had a wee bit of respect for him. He seemed to come into the side from time to time under Butcher too, do ok, then get binned. Never really got a run of games so hard to say if he's good or not but if he couldn't break into that team then you'd have to assume "not".

Clean slate for me, but he isn't going to get forever to show he's a good player. It's now or never for him.

jdships
24-06-2014, 06:18 PM
See where the OP is coming from but in all honesty this could be the biggest season for any Hibs player under the age of 22 .
These lads have got a golden opporchancity to impress/make their mark/improve or they can "ship out"
If they can't make it at this level " ba's on the slates"
Good luck to them all and think we might just see one or two surprises amongst these lads along the way :wink:

:flag:

Ronniekirk
24-06-2014, 07:40 PM
See where the OP is coming from but in all honesty this could be the biggest season for any Hibs player under the age of 22 .
These lads have got a golden opporchancity to impress/make their mark/improve or they can "ship out"
If they can't make it at this level " ba's on the slates"
Good luck to them all and think we might just see one or two surprises amongst these lads along the way :wink:

Agree it's an oppertunity for some of the young players but we saw the pressure they were under in the bottom six T B put too Mutch pressure on them to get us out of trouble and they didn't get enough support from some of the Seniorplayers that are still at the club so Stubbs has to build back up the young players confidence but bring in the right players to help them .
As for Handling I personally haven't seen enough from him to suggest he will be a big player for us so yes he has one last chance to impress new manager in pre season .and see if he can stake a claim .

jdships
24-06-2014, 07:57 PM
Agree it's an oppertunity for some of the young players but we saw the pressure they were under in the bottom six T B put too Mutch pressure on them to get us out of trouble and they didn't get enough support from some of the Seniorplayers that are still at the club so Stubbs has to build back up the young players confidence but bring in the right players to help them .
As for Handling I personally haven't seen enough from him to suggest he will be a big player for us so yes he has one last chance to impress new manager in pre season .and see if he can stake a claim .

Go along with most you say but remember , especially on this forum , supporters were screaming for PF then TB to give the young lads a chance .
Still think there may well be a couple of " rabbits come out of the hat " this season :greengrin

Expecting Rain
24-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Agree with the opening post, Danny should prove a lot of people wrong next season, he was very lively when playing wide and once he gains strength will go on to be a decent player, his biggest challenge will be surviving the snap judgement section of the Hibs support.

Ronniekirk
24-06-2014, 08:07 PM
Go along with most you say but remember , especially on this forum , supporters were screaming for PF then TB to give the young lads a chance .
Still think there may well be a couple of " rabbits come out of the hat " this season :greengrin
Harris was the perfect example of T B just blindly playing him when it was clear he was low on confidence and not going to play his way into the game .
Am all for giving youngsters a chance but if you don't manage them properly and have the right blend in the team it can sort players back Let's hope we see. Alex put that behind him and find his confidence and pace to go by players .

calumhibee1
24-06-2014, 08:10 PM
I know we need to be positive, but handling offers absolutely nothing and is one player I hope is nowhere near the team next season.

hfc rd
24-06-2014, 08:12 PM
He's been poor in a poor Hibs team. Don't know what he contributes at all.

Expecting Rain
24-06-2014, 08:18 PM
He is a young player who needs to be supported in his development like all the other youngsters, somebody at the top needs to get this message across on a regular basis.

Nutmegged
24-06-2014, 08:19 PM
If Danny was half as good as the joker who does his rating on Football Manager he'd be a star for us

inglisavhibs
24-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Agree with the opening post, Danny should prove a lot of people wrong next season, he was very lively when playing wide and once he gains strength will go on to be a decent player, his biggest challenge will be surviving the snap judgement section of the Hibs support.
Danny has some talent but until he realises that you have to run about a lot during a football match he won,t be any use to any team.

Expecting Rain
24-06-2014, 08:25 PM
Danny has some talent but until he realises that you have to run about a lot during a football match he won,t be any use to any team.

Actually think when he is played wide he has a better work ethic than most, i just hope that all the young players are given the support and patience they need in their efforts to progress.

Pedantic_Hibee
24-06-2014, 08:44 PM
I'm just glad he's not at the World Cup. I'd hate to see how he'd react in a defensive wall at a free-kick when the ref got out his spray can....

Casper
24-06-2014, 08:53 PM
Hope you are right mate as, so far, he hasn't show me anything to suggest he has what it takes. Think he is too "slight" for this division.

Tend to agree with you. Seems to be knocked off the ball fairly easy by other more physical opponents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scoopyboy
24-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Actually think he is whenplayed wide he has a better work ethic than most, i just hope that all the young players are given the support and patience they need in their efforts to progress.

Are you saying when he isn't played out wide he has a poorer work ethic?

neil7908
24-06-2014, 09:24 PM
This season is make or break for Danny. If he can't carve himself a spot for Hibs with us on the championship after being on the fringes for a while now I can't see him getting a new deal.

Expecting Rain
24-06-2014, 09:35 PM
Are you saying when he isn't played out wide he has a poorer work ethic?

No, in the now infamous match against Malmo he never stopped trying irrespective of the scoreline, I just think that this moment in time he is better wide.

Ross89
24-06-2014, 09:40 PM
Not really sure what handling offers to be honest.

Cummings is a much better prospect IMHO.

TheFamous1875
24-06-2014, 10:01 PM
Not really sure what handling offers to be honest.

Cummings is a much better prospect IMHO.

Both very different players. Cummings does looks very promising, though.

silverhibee
24-06-2014, 10:48 PM
Out of the young lads i seen in the team last season the lad Jordan Forster will be the one who goes on to big and better things in the near future.imo

NAE NOOKIE
24-06-2014, 11:05 PM
This is a big season for Danny no doubt. My opinion is he was OK but certainly not a stand out last season, needs to improve a good bit to make me think he can be a main player for us.

The Harp Awakes
24-06-2014, 11:09 PM

Yep. Doesn't work hard enough on the pitch for me. Undoubted talent but on the few occasions he played last season he seemed to be happy to stand up front with his hands on his hips when we were defending (or trying to defend).

Seveno
25-06-2014, 12:02 PM
He had a run in the team under Fenlon and started to look good. Then he got injured and along came Butcher.

B.H.F.C
25-06-2014, 12:25 PM
He had a run in the team under Fenlon and started to look good. Then he got injured and along came Butcher.

I'm not one to stick up for Butcher but he actually played Handling where Handling wanted to play. With the the exception of one goal against Ross County Handling didn't do anything to justify being in the team when he did get a chance.

TowerHibs
25-06-2014, 12:29 PM
A very poor Tam Mcmanus, who was no great shakes himself. Hides on the pitch...example is watch when a player gets the ball, Handling wilmslow move to behind the opposition player and not be available.

Not good enough and if he was, he would have stood out in a Hibs team with 0 creativity last season

RP1875
25-06-2014, 12:36 PM
Never good enough. Cummings has already shown a lot more promise.

happiehibbie
25-06-2014, 12:43 PM
Danny will never make it

just not good enough

along with Stevenson

Lets hope a new broom sweeps the place clean !

happiehibbie
25-06-2014, 12:45 PM
Never good enough. Cummings has already shown a lot more promise.

I dont think this lad will make it he did not show ME that much last season

just my opinion

the diffrence is we are in the 1st division which might suit these guys but against the TOP guys no way

RP1875
25-06-2014, 12:55 PM
I dont think this lad will make it he did not show ME that much last season

just my opinion

the diffrence is we are in the 1st division which might suit these guys but against the TOP guys no way

Fair enough, I think Cummings in his first half year as a first team footballer showed a lot of potential. Definitely a confidence player though.

BSEJVT
25-06-2014, 10:12 PM
Personally think he will struggle to make a career out of football.

Skilful enough but painfully slow and needs to become harder to knock of the ball.

H18Y GW
25-06-2014, 10:59 PM
Ive not read the thread,but he is seriously the biggest waste of a strip ive ever seen in 50 years supporting Hibs,
Not sure how many appearances he has had,think he scored a winner at Soapie stadum once apart from that can anyone namr a deceny game he has had..

Totally dreadful....:thumbsup:

JJP
25-06-2014, 11:09 PM
Ive not read the thread,but he is seriously the biggest waste of a strip ive ever seen in 50 years supporting Hibs,
Not sure how many appearances he has had,think he scored a winner at Soapie stadum once apart from that can anyone namr a deceny game he has had..

Totally dreadful....:thumbsup:

Think you have him confused with Danny Galbraith.

The_Horde
26-06-2014, 12:09 AM
Danny will never make it

just not good enough

along with Stevenson

Lets hope a new broom sweeps the place clean !

Lewis already made it.

RIP Bestie
26-06-2014, 02:44 AM
He couldn't break into the worst Hibs team in history last season.
Neither could others. Doesn't mean they didn't deserve to.

RIP Bestie
26-06-2014, 03:27 AM
I feel it is really unfair to write off any of the young players who have broken into the first team in the last couple of years.
They have been asked to carry the can to a certain extent, which to me is extremely unfair.
I would give them all another year to command a position that they want to play in and stake a claim for first team involvement. Let's not try to make positions to suit individuals. If they are not good enough in their best positions, launch them.

easty
26-06-2014, 06:32 AM
A very poor Tam Mcmanus, who was no great shakes himself. Hides on the pitch...example is watch when a player gets the ball, Handling wilmslow move to behind the opposition player and not be available.

Not good enough and if he was, he would have stood out in a Hibs team with 0 creativity last season

I wish he was as good as Tam McManus! Nowhere near that in my opinion.

lord bunberry
26-06-2014, 06:53 AM
We've got a new manager and all players have a chance to impress, I hope Danny can step up to the mark because he's got the talent.

sambajustice
26-06-2014, 06:58 AM
"One Touch" Handling? ? Surely we can do better, even in this division!

happiehibbie
27-06-2014, 11:02 AM
;4076783']Lewis already made it.

I was meaning the new team lol STEVO son for me has been the luckiest footballer I have known Good luck to the guy he has his strengths but for me not good enough

GreenPJ
27-06-2014, 11:10 AM
I was meaning the new team lol STEVO son for me has been the luckiest footballer I have known Good luck to the guy he has his strengths but for me not good enough

I get the fact that some people don't like Stevenson and don't rate him as that is the same with every player but to call him lucky???? He has had to contend with how many managers, many positions has he been put in (4 at last count) and has to contend with a huge turnover of mediocre team mates in the last few years. The reason he has been given game time is because he is reliable, fully committed and for me he has ability but think its difficult for him to show it consistently when he goes from left back to centre mid to right back.

There have been numerous players for Hibs over the last few years who were lucky to be anywhere near a football pitch never mind a starting position but Stevenson does not fall into that category imo.

jdships
27-06-2014, 11:20 AM
I get the fact that some people don't like Stevenson and don't rate him as that is the same with every player but to call him lucky???? He has had to contend with how many managers, many positions has he been put in (4 at last count) and has to contend with a huge turnover of mediocre team mates in the last few years. The reason he has been given game time is because he is reliable, fully committed and for me he has ability but think its difficult for him to show it consistently when he goes from left back to centre mid to right back.

There have been numerous players for Hibs over the last few years who were lucky to be anywhere near a football pitch never mind a starting position but Stevenson does not fall into that category imo.

Well said :top marks
One of the most committed and dedicated footballers at ER for the past ten years
Doesn't make a fuss just gets on with it

happiehibbie
27-06-2014, 11:44 AM

I am the most committed fan over the last 45 years not counting the years I went to primary. I don't disagree with your comments he has scored 2 goals and prob 5 shots at goal in his time. I want better than that commitment gives a hundred percent don't wash with me quality and ability out way commitment. However I would not like to be tackled by Lewis In no way am I a hater of him I just want better

Thecat23
27-06-2014, 11:51 AM
I'm almost certain Handling will end up dropping down the divisions. I personally don't rate him and think he's very poor.

But he should prob get a chance to prove to the manager he's worth keeping. I hope he proves me wrong but like I said he was really poor!

As for Stevenson, I think he's a good player and will do well in this league. Again it's all about opinions but I'm hopeful Stubbs will know what's best for Hibernian more than us fans do and have a winning side on the pitch.

GreenPJ
27-06-2014, 12:06 PM
I am the most committed fan over the last 45 years not counting the years I went to primary. I don't disagree with your comments he has scored 2 goals and prob 5 shots at goal in his time. I want better than that commitment gives a hundred percent don't wash with me quality and ability out way commitment. However I would not like to be tackled by Lewis In no way am I a hater of him I just want better

I think if you are expecting numerous goals from Stevenson then I agree he will disappoint, however, is that really what we expect from him. Eric Schaedler scored very few in his career but that did not make him a bad player or someone you would not want in your team.

happiehibbie
27-06-2014, 12:07 PM
You cannot compare them two #waytofar

GreenPJ
27-06-2014, 12:43 PM

I am not suggesting comparing them on ability perspective but you brought up goal scoring - they were both full backs and one of them would probably be in the majority of Hibs fans all time XI but they have both scored the same number in their Hibs career.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-06-2014, 12:46 PM

Hashtags :rolleyes:

Phil MaGlass
27-06-2014, 01:01 PM
I have been away from this site due to work commitments for a wee while but from what I have noticed since coming back is a steady flow of negativity and vitriol from posters in the direction of fellow posters, Terry Butcher, The Tache, the players, you name it, its had a mouthful. I for one was absolutely shocked, stunned and angry at the manner of our capitulation, from what I regarded as one of the weakest Hibs teams in my lifetime.
This site in my eyes has always been better than this,(even when I have been posting negatives) is it not about time to get behind the team and the new manager without having to resort to slagging off our young players all the time.
We need a winning mindset from the fans, even when we hit the rough times, we need to get behind them, I am absolutely sick to the back teeth of SO CALLED supporters whom at witnessing a bad pass, belt out expletives to our players, give them support, some of them are only kids ffs, is it any wonder some look like they are too scared to hold the ball when theres an army of fans waiting to shout them down, folks, we are better than this.

I am looking forward to the season ahead, and believe it or not, so is the rest of Scotland, some cracking games around the corner, some great away trips and quite a few on our doorstep which will have us travelling in droves to alot of sellouts.
I wish I was back living in Edinburgh for the coming year to take in all the games, certainly a season not to be missed.

LETS GET BEHIND THEM AND GIVE THEM THE BLOODY BACKING THEY WILL NEED FOR OUR FORAY INTO THE CHAMPIONSHIP.

POSITIVITY BREEDS POSITIVITY.

GERINTAETHUM

happiehibbie
27-06-2014, 01:06 PM
I have been away from this site due to work commitments for a wee while but from what I have noticed since coming back is a steady flow of negativity and vitriol from posters in the direction of fellow posters, Terry Butcher, The Tache, the players, you name it, its had a mouthful. I for one was absolutely shocked, stunned and angry at the manner of our capitulation, from what I regarded as one of the weakest Hibs teams in my lifetime.
This site in my eyes has always been better than this,(even when I have been posting negatives) is it not about time to get behind the team and the new manager without having to resort to slagging off our young players all the time.
We need a winning mindset from the fans, even when we hit the rough times, we need to get behind them, I am absolutely sick to the back teeth of SO CALLED supporters whom at witnessing a bad pass, belt out expletives to our players, give them support, some of them are only kids ffs, is it any wonder some look like they are too scared to hold the ball when theres an army of fans waiting to shout them down, folks, we are better than this.

I am looking forward to the season ahead, and believe it or not, so is the rest of Scotland, some cracking games around the corner, some great away trips and quite a few on our doorstep which will have us travelling in droves to alot of sellouts.
I wish I was back living in Edinburgh for the coming year to take in all the games, certainly a season not to be missed.

LETS GET BEHIND THEM AND GIVE THEM THE BLOODY BACKING THEY WILL NEED FOR OUR FORAY INTO THE CHAMPIONSHIP.

GERINTAETHUM

I like a hashtag #####

Callum_62
27-06-2014, 01:07 PM

GERINTAETHUM

Not Hibs Class!

:wink::greengrin

gordon.clark.73
28-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Yet to be convinced about handling - has not shown to me he has much to offer either in midfield, behind the front man or leading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
28-06-2014, 02:32 PM
Danny will never make it

just not good enough

along with Stevenson

Lets hope a new broom sweeps the place clean !Stevenson has made it though, he has played over 200 games in the top division of Scottish football, he is more than good enough.

Dashing Bob S
28-06-2014, 03:19 PM
Well said :top marks
One of the most committed and dedicated footballers at ER for the past ten years
Doesn't make a fuss just gets on with it

Yes, it's debatable what potential and talent Stevenson has, we could go on all day, but it certainly hasn't been enhanced and developed by his staying at Hibs.

jdships
28-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Yes, it's debatable what potential and talent Stevenson has, we could go on all day, but it certainly hasn't been enhanced and developed by his staying at Hibs.

Yes all down to opinions and in a footballers case it's ONLY the managers opinion that counts
Ten years and counting - well done LS :thumbsup:

DH1875
29-06-2014, 12:42 AM
Not sure why this turned into a thread about Stevenson but I reckon he'll be good for us this season. As for Handling, I'm not so sure.

beensaidbefore
29-06-2014, 12:58 AM
He's been poor in a poor Hibs team. Don't know what he contributes at all.

Perhaps thats what the problem is. Most of the good young players of the recent era were blooded in Hibs teams where there was a generally better standard of player around them. Less pressure was on them do well every week, and when they got the opportunity they were able to perform.

The fact our team was p poor, imo, is exactly why our 'promising' youngsters seemed to stay the same, or even go backwards.

If an apprentice in any other type of job got shouted at and berated every time they showed up for work, their heads would go down and they would begin to doubt themselves and shirk away from their responsibilities to save themselves the grief. Especially if the older more experienced guys who were supposed to be showing the ropes were crap at their job. Football must be 10 times harder

Your a young guy, imagine how you would feel if your boss at work was crap at his job and everyone shouted at you. Probably wouldn't make you perform to your best.

I could be wrong, but thats how I see it. Especially given Clancy has come out (according to another post) and said the team were sharting themselves at the prospect of the baying mob at ER every other week.

beensaidbefore
29-06-2014, 01:09 AM
Yes all down to opinions and in a footballers case it's ONLY the managers opinion that counts
Ten years and counting - well done LS :thumbsup:

Not sure why this turned into a thread about Stevenson but I reckon he'll be good for us this season. As for Handling, I'm not so sure.

Outstanding servant for the club. He should never be made a scapegoat for the way things have been. Never gonna get a game for Man U, but I have never seen him not giving his all in green and white. I don't think we would be where we are if all of the players worked as hard as he does. He will be an asset to us next season against some tough hardworking players out to prove a point against 3 teams who should never be in the 1st div.

I just wonder how he may have improved and learned the midfield role from Collins being at the helm? Pity we will never know. :rolleyes:

beensaidbefore
29-06-2014, 01:34 AM
Tend to agree with you. Seems to be knocked off the ball fairly easy by other more physical opponents.

Perhaps this is where the club should be supporting our young players better. Look at Andy Murray for example. Was considered to skinny to really make it to the top, so he went away put on bulk and built his physical strength. Was crap for 6-months to a year until he figured out how to move and use his new weight/strength, and now he looks like he knows how to use it to his advantage. This could be achieved for footballers too surely, provided they are given proper support and advice from people in the know.

Handling is only 20, so with proper guidance and support, plus effort on his part, he could become far physically stronger within the next year or so surely?

Ronniekirk
29-06-2014, 08:39 AM
Perhaps this is where the club should be supporting our young players better. Look at Andy Murray for example. Was considered to skinny to really make it to the top, so he went away put on bulk and built his physical strength. Was crap for 6-months to a year until he figured out how to move and use his new weight/strength, and now he looks like he knows how to use it to his advantage. This could be achieved for footballers too surely, provided they are given proper support and advice from people in the know.

Handling is only 20, so with proper guidance and support, plus effort on his part, he could become far physically stronger within the next year or so surely?

On your last point yes had could but that in itself won't make him a better player. think like others he will get game time in first few friendlies and Stubbs will assess if he thinks he can develop him to be a player in the championship We are going with a smaller squad so if he isn't going to be playing a part Stubbs needs to be moving on as many players as he can to bring new players in that he thinks can do a job for us .Cummings is younger so you can make case to keep him but maybe a year in the championship would suit Danny but some quick decisions will need to be made on some of the youngsters and without knowing what's happening with there contracts
,are they being renegotiated or have they to take a cut in wages it's difficult to know what may happen with some of our youngsters

The Leith Dutch
29-06-2014, 10:30 AM

Sorry for straying off topic but I think Hanlon could do with bulking up too.
I think he's a good defender (although better in a pairing with the other CB being the leader) and I think a bit more physicality to his play would improve him immensely.

The problem for Handling is that we're looking to cut back on the squad and currently have Handling, Caldwell and Cummings up front.
I can't see us keeping all three based on what Dempster has said about how she plans to have the squad assembled.

Expecting Rain
29-06-2014, 11:00 AM
Is there the slightest possibility that any youngsters at the club could get some breathing space before being categorized as good, bad or not the finished article and does anybody believe that most if not all will not peak while playing for Hibs? It would be nice just to be a part of their journey, good, bad and indifferent moments abundant, we might even achieve somewhere along the line a trophy as a reward for trying to play the correct way or at least some enjoyable saturdays to remember.

sahib
29-06-2014, 12:58 PM
Is there the slightest possibility that any youngsters at the club could get some breathing space before being categorized as good, bad or not the finished article and does anybody believe that most if not all will not peak while playing for Hibs? It would be nice just to be a part of their journey, good, bad and indifferent moments abundant, we might even achieve somewhere along the line a trophy as a reward for trying to play the correct way or at least some enjoyable saturdays to remember.

:agree:

I think we should have played the entire u20s from Christmas onward. We wouldn't have been any worse off and everyone of them would have got a decent chance.

silverhibee
30-06-2014, 03:36 PM
What's the story with the lad Caldwell, is he still under contract at Hibs.

Unseen work
30-06-2014, 03:47 PM

iirc he still has another year left on his contract SH

Tom Hart RIP
30-06-2014, 04:30 PM

I noticed when Fletch played in Ian Murray's testimonial he had bulked up considerably compared to when he was here and it did make him a much better player as defenders couldn't push him off the ball. The top teams in England seem to use weight training much more than we do inScotland. No idea why this would be the case. Surely if it is beneficial we should all fe doing it????

inglisavhibs
01-07-2014, 11:32 AM
I think if you are expecting numerous goals from Stevenson then I agree he will disappoint, however, is that really what we expect from him. Eric Schaedler scored very few in his career but that did not make him a bad player or someone you would not want in your team.
Eric had pace, strength, could tackle, overlapped at pace and was difficult to beat. Lewis, despite being very committed doesn't even come close.

since90plustwo
09-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Don't understand people saying there is nothing wrong with his lifestyle or attitude when he is a major part of the much maligned "George street gang". He is there every Saturday yet seems to escape punishment. Massive year for him

Brightside
09-07-2014, 08:32 PM
Don't understand people saying there is nothing wrong with his lifestyle or attitude when he is a major part of the much maligned "George street gang". He is there every Saturday yet seems to escape punishment. Massive year for him

Drinking coke.

Onceinawhile
09-07-2014, 08:33 PM
Drinking coke.

Cant even take his drugs properly ffs.

J-C
09-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Drinking coke.

Not always but given the guys he was hanging out with were a major reason we got relegated, lets hope he's learnt his lesson and he knuckles down.

TheFamous1875
09-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Eric had pace, strength, could tackle, overlapped at pace and was difficult to beat. Lewis, despite being very committed doesn't even come close.

I don't think it's fair to compare Lewis Stevenson to an all time great who represented Scotland at a World Cup. Completely different eras and the bar has been dropped significantly since then.

I'm not old enough to've seen the Tornadoes, but from what I've heard and from what I've read they were beyond anything I've ever seen (McLeish's team 1998-2001and Mowbray & Collins' team 2004-07).

Lewis Stevenson's a very useful player that I'm glad to have in our squad. He's never been in a good team, but I think he'd be a good part of one if we ever got it together. There's nothing I could knock when it comes to Lewis as he's not a goal scorer and never will be so I don't expect that from him. Although, if played in a positive and successful team, he could be of real value as a left-sided midfielder.

See his early performances under Collins and his early form under Butcher to see a glimpse of what he's capable of, couple that with the consistent drive, bite and desire throughout his career and you can double his best performance level if we ever get a really good team together as he'll be able to focus on his own game, rather than shield and sacrifice himself for an inept team that's badly set up.

TheFamous1875
09-07-2014, 08:39 PM

One of the seldom things I read on the internet that's actually made me laugh my heed off. Hats off, Antwerphibs!

Unseen work
09-07-2014, 10:38 PM
For me a professional athlete who will in total be working out a total of about 6 days a week should he able to go out and have a couple on a Saturday, I have no problem if they do.

For me it only becomes a problem when it starts effecting there football and fitness etc and to me that would only happen if he started going out regularly throughout the week aswell.

Peevemor
09-07-2014, 11:01 PM

:faf:

Jones28
09-07-2014, 11:11 PM

Properly creasin at this!

Billychaotic182
10-07-2014, 09:30 AM

Hahahahahahaha

BOB MARLEYS DUG
10-07-2014, 09:32 AM

Left and is now training with St Mirren.