PDA

View Full Version : Ronaldo. Team player my erse

Hibbyradge
22-06-2014, 10:36 PM
He didn't celebrate with the goal scorer and it looks as if he's not liked by his team mates.

Of course, I could be misinterpreting what I see.

NadeAteMyLunch!
22-06-2014, 10:43 PM
BBC were hilarious before the game, almost suggesting we should feel sympathy for him as he's been born into a poor Portugese side. What a struggle his life must be

frazeHFC
22-06-2014, 10:45 PM
That doesn't mean he's not a team player. Set up a few good chances in this game, great ball to Nani just there. That's what makes a team player imo.

He doesn't look like he's having too much fun, I'll give you that.

Benny Brazil
22-06-2014, 10:46 PM
He didn't celebrate with the goal scorer and it looks as if he's not liked by his team mates.

Of course, I could be misinterpreting what I see.

I would agree with that Radge - have never liked the guy, great footballer but he appears to be a self obsessed twat. Watched him the first game and if the ball wasnt played to him he took a strop didnt even bother trying to get the ball back if he lost it.

Onceinawhile
22-06-2014, 10:48 PM
That doesn't mean he's not a team player. Set up a few good chances in this game, great ball to Nani just there. That's what makes a team player imo.

He doesn't look like he's having too much fun, I'll give you that.

Not entirely convinced he should be playing. Just doesn't look right. He's plenty of a team player with Real Madrid. Maybe the Portuguese players are douchebags?

Hibbyradge
22-06-2014, 10:55 PM
Not entirely convinced he should be playing. Just doesn't look right. He's plenty of a team player with Real Madrid. Maybe the Portuguese players are douchebags?

I've no idea what a douchebag is.

Is it something you get in Waitrose?

Onceinawhile
22-06-2014, 11:00 PM
I've no idea what a douchebag is.

Is it something you get in Waitrose?

Walmart. (Not asda though)

ScottB
22-06-2014, 11:00 PM
I would agree with that Radge - have never liked the guy, great footballer but he appears to be a self obsessed twat. Watched him the first game and if the ball wasnt played to him he took a strop didnt even bother trying to get the ball back if he lost it.

I think that's a bit unfair, considering the amount of charity work he seems to do.

I suspect it's a mixture of him not being fit, and getting frustrated with his team mates, who are pretty p*ss poor. I suspect him not running around as much as normal is a symptom of his injury. That's he's there at all, risking further (potentially career threatening, according to some reports) injury would suggest it means a lot to him, rather than him not being bothered.

Benny Brazil
22-06-2014, 11:04 PM
I think that's a bit unfair, considering the amount of charity work he seems to do.

I suspect it's a mixture of him not being fit, and getting frustrated with his team mates, who are pretty p*ss poor. I suspect him not running around as much as normal is a symptom of his injury. That's he's there at all, risking further (potentially career threatening, according to some reports) injury would suggest it means a lot to him, rather than him not being bothered.

Have never heard of any charity work he has done - so I can only base my view on what I see of him on the football pitch so yes it maybe unfair.

ScottB
22-06-2014, 11:06 PM
Have never heard of any charity work he has done - so I can only base my view on what I see of him on the football pitch so yes it maybe unfair.

Even then, he's out there, running about, trying to set guys up or get into good positions, with a busted knee, that his team mates are more often than not, squandering or fluffing.

I'm sure most people would start to find that somewhat frustrating too.

Benny Brazil
22-06-2014, 11:36 PM
Even then, he's out there, running about, trying to set guys up or get into good positions, with a busted knee, that his team mates are more often than not, squandering or fluffing.

I'm sure most people would start to find that somewhat frustrating too.

Don't see much running about from him or setting up team mates or getting into good positions - if he has got a serious injury then he shouldn't be playing.

frazeHFC
22-06-2014, 11:54 PM
Don't see much running about from him or setting up team mates or getting into good positions - if he has got a serious injury then he shouldn't be playing.

Had a few good passes to team mates through on goal but he's surrounded by pretty average players. Good cross at the end though. :wink:

Mon Dieu4
22-06-2014, 11:55 PM
Looked like a shot to me

Benny Brazil
23-06-2014, 12:03 AM
Had a few good passes to team mates through on goal but he's surrounded by pretty average players. Good cross at the end though. :wink:

Must have missed those :rolleyes:
But yes a good cross at the end - good to see he stayed on the pitch at the end of the game to shake hands with his team mates and opponents and not just walk off.......

Deansy
23-06-2014, 12:15 AM
No emotion at all when they equalised, not a team-player imho.

Bronson
23-06-2014, 12:19 AM
This is pretty harsh considering the weight of expectation he carries when playing for Portugal. Surrounded by a pretty mediocre team, he carries them regularly just as he did in the play-off v Sweden.

He's a top top player and it annoys me that he gets more stick than Messi who had an equally poor if not worse game v Bosnia the other night. He produced a bit of magic at the end as did Ronaldo tonight.

It's as much to do with their image as anything IMO. People have it in their heads than Ronaldo is a greedy arrogant tosser and Messi is a wee angel but in reality Ronaldo does far more charity work than most players and he seems quite philanthropic. Never understood the Messi 'nice guy' love-in.

Haymaker
23-06-2014, 12:24 AM
No emotion at all when they equalised, not a team-player imho.

Didn't see much from the goal scorer either. Obviously not a team player.

MWHIBBIES
23-06-2014, 03:29 AM
He is a winner, that is all that matters.

Northernhibee
23-06-2014, 05:31 AM
If he thinks he's signing for us he can GTF.

franck sauzee
23-06-2014, 07:33 AM
Few strange opinions on here. Heavily involved in both goals and also made a few great runs where his team mates never played the ball into him, he probably would have scored them if they had. He won't be 100% fit yet either

great cross at the end, gutted as I had USA to win btts. Oh well!

ScottB
23-06-2014, 08:27 AM
This is pretty harsh considering the weight of expectation he carries when playing for Portugal. Surrounded by a pretty mediocre team, he carries them regularly just as he did in the play-off v Sweden.

He's a top top player and it annoys me that he gets more stick than Messi who had an equally poor if not worse game v Bosnia the other night. He produced a bit of magic at the end as did Ronaldo tonight.

It's as much to do with their image as anything IMO. People have it in their heads than Ronaldo is a greedy arrogant tosser and Messi is a wee angel but in reality Ronaldo does far more charity work than most players and he seems quite philanthropic. Never understood the Messi 'nice guy' love-in.

Totally. Messi the massive tax cheat, let's not forget.

jamieross
23-06-2014, 09:03 AM

His haircut last night was to show support for a child who's surgery he paid for a few months ago. He got bit shaved in his hair to imitate the scars the child has on his head. Great gesture of support from him. He always has had a poor public image simply because he wants to win plus I wouldnt celebrate with Nani either... http://youtu.be/83R9aXXbNRk

ScottB
23-06-2014, 09:05 AM
His haircut last night was to show support for a child who's surgery he paid for a few months ago. He got bit shaved in his hair to imitate the scars the child has on his head. Great gesture of support from him. He always has had a poor public image simply because he wants to win plus I wouldnt celebrate with Nani either... http://youtu.be/83R9aXXbNRk

I think much of it in the media still comes from his 'wink' after Rooney's sending off.

Hibbyradge
23-06-2014, 09:09 AM
Don't get me wrong, he's a fantastic player, but it looked like he wasn't particularly interested in his team mates, nor they, him, tbh.

In hindsight, my subject title may have been a bit harsh. :embarrass

SlickShoes
23-06-2014, 09:26 AM

Like Nani the goal destroyer?

http://youtu.be/83R9aXXbNRk

Mon Dieu4
23-06-2014, 09:33 AM
I agree that he does lots for charity etc but when you build a museum in honour of yourself, then celebrate scoring a penalty in a 4-1 victory in the dying seconds of a game like you won it all on your own, makes you seem like a bit of a twat, Messi has his faults too but seems more humble

i prefer Zlatan he is proper mental

jacomo
23-06-2014, 11:07 AM

The great gesture was paying for the kids surgery - fair play for that.

The haircut gets people talking about how generous he is.

Re: the OP, CR7 (TM) often celebrates his goals alone because his team mates don't want to join in... His ridiculous shirt-off celebration in the CL Final was a case in point. He has to do something showy because he can't rely on a simple hug from his fellow players.

Tbh the guy sounds like a welt but he is unquestionably one of the best there has ever been, absolutely up there in terms of ability and achievements. Portugal wouldn't be in Brazil without him.

heretoday
23-06-2014, 11:23 AM
I am often disappointed by his performances whenever I watch him. The free kicks tend to sail over the bar and he seems strangely isolated on the field. I must be catching the wrong games because you can't argue with his record!

Unseen work
23-06-2014, 11:56 AM
Personally think he's a much better team player than messi

J-C
23-06-2014, 11:56 AM
Probably a bit like Giggs and Bale, brilliant footballers but have to play in a decidedly average international team, the Portuguese team should be a lot better than they are but too many players playing very poorly, Ronaldo sets himself very high standards and expects the same from his team mates.

DH1875
23-06-2014, 12:09 PM
Personally think he's a much better team player than messi

Yip, given the choice, I'd always have Ronaldo in my team ahead of Messi.
Its a pitty the Portugal team is so crap. Must be difficult for him because he knows he'll never win the world cup yet players with less than half his ability have. He didn't celebrate last night because in his eyes there was nothing to celebrate. A 2-2 draw againt the USA was not a good result for them.

brian6-2
23-06-2014, 12:33 PM
He is a winner, that is all that matters.

Not of the world cup he's not.

weonlywon6-2
23-06-2014, 12:54 PM

Hes currently paying for a sick child with a horrible illness to get through all their medical bills.The family of the child only asked for a signed top for auction and ronaldo took on board what was happening.
In my book that says a lot about the guy ,if only other high wage wasters took the same view

Good on him

Nutmegged
23-06-2014, 01:07 PM
Just read that the line shaved on the side of his head is to mimic the scar of a sick child who has just had a brain tumour removed.

We never hear enough of these stories, good deeds dont sell papers

ScottB
23-06-2014, 01:17 PM
Hes currently paying for a sick child with a horrible illness to get through all their medical bills.The family of the child only asked for a signed top for auction and ronaldo took on board what was happening.
In my book that says a lot about the guy ,if only other high wage wasters took the same view

Good on him

He's done this sort of thing a couple of times.

Just read that the line shaved on the side of his head is to mimic the scar of a sick child who has just had a brain tumour removed.

We never hear enough of these stories, good deeds dont sell papers

'Lawro' made reference to him having daft hair last night. You can choose from him either being too unprofessional to do research before a game, or it not fitting the stereotype of Ronaldo as a selfish pantomime villain.

LioNeilMessi
23-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Don't think he ever really celebrates goals that he didn't score or assist. For example he didn't celebrate Ramos's goal v Atleti in the Champion's league final. When he's so focussed on himself becoming the best player ever, it's not really surprising he doesn't publicly acknowledge the achievements of others.

brian6-2
23-06-2014, 02:02 PM
Yip, given the choice, I'd always have Ronaldo in my team ahead of Messi.
Its a pitty the Portugal team is so crap. Must be difficult for him because he knows he'll never win the world cup yet players with less than half his ability have. He didn't celebrate last night because in his eyes there was nothing to celebrate. A 2-2 draw againt the USA was not a good result for them.

but as apparantly "the best in the world" should he not be giving 100% till the final whistle? regardless of who is in his team?

There are hardly any other great world beating players in the current argentina squad, granted the other players in the Argentina team might be slightly better that portugals but Messi gives 100% every time and carries the team alot of the time, similar to maradonna in 86, a team he carried, because he was the best on the planet, like messi is just now.

Unseen work
23-06-2014, 02:45 PM
but as apparantly "the best in the world" should he not be giving 100% till the final whistle? regardless of who is in his team?

There are hardly any other great world beating players in the current argentina squad, granted the other players in the Argentina team might be slightly better that portugals but Messi gives 100% every time and carries the team alot of the time, similar to maradonna in 86, a team he carried, because he was the best on the planet, like messi is just now.

I think Ronaldo does give 100% every game and could never question it.

As for other Argentina players. Di Maria, aguerio, higuain,

SlickShoes
23-06-2014, 03:02 PM

wait, did i miss the game last night or did he not provide an inch perfect cross with 5 seconds to go? how is that not playing to the end and not giving 100%?

If you took ronaldo out of the Portugal team they would be nowhere near the world cup finals, if you took Messi out of Argentina they would still be there.

brian6-2
23-06-2014, 03:03 PM
I think Ronaldo does give 100% every game and could never question it.

As for other Argentina players. Di Maria, aguerio, higuain,

He never last night.

So are the likes of Contrao, Pepe, Meireles, Nani, Moutinho and Veloso rubbish?

Look at the facts so far this world cup, biggest stage for any player, ronaldo hasnt bothered his arse. thats why he'll never be the greatest. granted he is one of the best just now but he's not as good as messi.

brian6-2
23-06-2014, 03:05 PM
wait, did i miss the game last night or did he not provide an inch perfect cross with 5 seconds to go? how is that not playing to the end and not giving 100%?

If you took ronaldo out of the Portugal team they would be nowhere near the world cup finals, if you took Messi out of Argentina they would still be there.

your at the wind up if you think he gave 100% last night. or against Germany.

and i disagree completely with the second part.

ScottB
23-06-2014, 03:08 PM
your at the wind up if you think he gave 100% last night. or against Germany.

and i disagree completely with the second part.

For a guy with a wrecked knee I think he did pretty well.

And Messi, he's hardly set the heather on fire. Took him 91 minutes to score against Iran. Don't see how that's covering himself in glory.

brian6-2
23-06-2014, 03:11 PM
For a guy with a wrecked knee I think he did pretty well.

And Messi, he's hardly set the heather on fire. Took him 91 minutes to score against Iran. Don't see how that's covering himself in glory.

Nah he's not, i agree. but he's switched on for the full 90 minutes and took his goal well. and he had a good game against bosnia.

SlickShoes
23-06-2014, 03:14 PM
Nah he's not, i agree. but he's switched on for the full 90 minutes and took his goal well. and he had a good game against bosnia.

He had a good 30 minutes against Bosnia.

Nigeria looked better against Bosnia than Argentina did though.

brian6-2
23-06-2014, 03:23 PM
He had a good 30 minutes against Bosnia.

Nigeria looked better against Bosnia than Argentina did though.

He's scored in both games, one the winner in the last minute. although neither have hit what they are capable of Messi shades it at this world cup so far and theres a long way to go.

doesnt surprise me in the slightest as i feel he is the better player.

The_Horde
23-06-2014, 03:27 PM
Messi produced the results when it's mattered this tournament. Ronaldo has not done enough (although to be fair he's injured)

Portugal have a better team than people let on: moutinho, meireles, nani, pepe, coentrao, veloso etc but they just don't play as a team at all.

weonlywon6-2
23-06-2014, 03:37 PM
I never really liked ronaldo before but as he has got older and possibly wiser i cant help but admire him,he is very good .
Sometimes people just hate a player for the sake of it without any real reason{this excludes all jambos who it is ok to dislike กกก}

SlickShoes
23-06-2014, 03:48 PM
;4073409']Messi produced the results when it's mattered this tournament. Ronaldo has not done enough (although to be fair he's injured)

Portugal have a better team than people let on: moutinho, meireles, nani, pepe, coentrao, veloso etc but they just don't play as a team at all.

The portugal team also dug themselves a massive hole against Germany, so it can hardly be expected of Ronaldo to pull them out of that mess.

Also their stirkers are dire, Eder is chronic.

Nani is a bit of an enigma, pepe is an ********, they have a lot of good individuals but there doesn't seem to be any team spirit at all.

WestCoastHibby
23-06-2014, 04:34 PM
Only point of relevance is that without his assist, USA would have won. Keeps them in the competition for a bit longer at least